[IC - LA] The UCLA (Clarence, Holly, and Chris.)

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: [IC - LA] The UCLA (Clarence, Holly, and Chris.)

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Professor who..." Christpher folds the papers that he had filched from Ayers effects and places them in his pocket. "Ayers seems pretty definite in his scorn for Gol-Goroth, the entity that Echavaria's cult worshipped; he states that there was some other entity 'behind the scenes'. Christoper shakes his head "I have investigated many strange and paranormal occurrences and all could be explained but this investigation we are involved in... it has a different feel." Christopher is quite shocked and worried, he has read and re-read the passages; something in them chills him. Ayers seems so rational 'talking' about these so called 'entities' as if they were real.

"So why did Ayers hook up with Echivaria?" he shrugs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe to get more information," says Holly. "Maybe to try to convince him of his errors. Maybe he believed once and later changed his mind. Unless we can find and talk to him, or find more of his writings on the subject, we can only speculate. Professor Tichener was Edgar Job's academic advisor. If anyone will have any further information about him, it'll be him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Yes, you're quite right ... let's find Job's professor and see what he has to say." Christopher replies
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

You quickly discover that Professor Tichener is holding lesson right now, and you wait for him outside the classroom. Once he's finished, he accepts to talk with you as you walk back to his study. He walks slowly, straight, hands behind its back, looking around the campus like a ruler over his domain. He speaks of Job with an ill-concealed distaste: "Yes, I remember Mister Job, unfortunately. I remember, in fact, all my students", he clicks his tongue, "Mr. Job looked promising, indeed, a very hard-working lad. Passionate. But he turned out to be a failure. He couldn't keep up with the advanced subjects and started falling behind, spending nights of work to come up with abstruse solutions that would quickly fall apart and be proven wrong. As time passed, his desperate need to be better than he actually was made him grow hostile and resentful. In a way, I feel pity for him, but I'm afraid he was never cut for numbers. Obsessed, but not capable".
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

"Have you any idea what became of him after he left here Professor?" Clarence asks
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did Mr. Job ever show any interest in or aptitude for other subjects?" asks Holly. "Perhaps history or archaeology?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Professor Tichener frowns as he speaks, as if mildly annoyed: "I know he got himself into some trouble, but luckily he managed to avoid dragging anyone else from the University into his mess. God knows we already have our troubles with our... revolutionary thinkers", he says the words as if tasting something bitter and disgusting, "from the less scientific departments. God knows we should shut them all down and make some cleaning, if you get what I mean", he shakes his head before continuing, "I cannot recall Mr. Job showing any interest in subjects apart from mathematics. As I told you, he was quite... obsessed".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did he have any friends?" Holly asks. "Maybe someone who shared his obsession?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher is less that impressed with Tichener's summation that Job was a failure, as far as he was concerned it was a teachers duty to help their students ... he could imagine that the real reason Job grew resentful about his 'lack of talent' was Tichener's dreadful attitude. The more he thought about it the more it made sense that Job linked up with Echevaria's cult ... probably via having contact with Ayers.

"Do you know if Edgar had any contact with Dr. Ayers?" Christopher asks, somewhat coldly.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Tichener slightly raises an eyebrow: "Who is this Dr. Ayers? I'm not familiar with the name, surely he is not a professor from my department". He pauses for a second then continues: "I don't remember Mr. Job hanging around with other students, but many years have passed, so I can't tell for sure".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'd like to use Assess Honesty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy,He seems to be telling the truth. Tichener's distaste for Job is clear even after all these years. From what you can guess of his personality after this short conversation, Tichener would likely pick on Job during lessons, back then, probably turning him into a social pariah.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence Lanalor
"Excuse me professor, you said a few moments ago that you felt pity for him, and suggested that he showed a lot more promise than he was able to produce, what with his work becoming ... what was it you said again ... more abtruse and that he turned out to be a failure and unable to keep up, I think you added. This coupled with whatever trouble he was involved in must have been a disappointment to you, after all a worthy professor such as yourself must have viewed Job as something of a stain on the good name of the campus, the department if not the entire university. How did that make you feel about him?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Could we review his academic records?" asks Holly. "It sounds like something changed during his time here. Seeing where his grades and performance turned might help pinpoint what happened."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Surely you don't expect me to remember where a decade old records are stored. Talk to the department secretary and see if she can help you", he replies curtly. "Look, I don't know the reason for your sudden interest in Mr. Job's history, but sincerely, he was just a student like I've seen dozens in my years as a teacher. I had forgotten all about him until five minutes ago".
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence Lanalor
OOC:   Assess Honesty on Titchener. He said before that he remembered ALL of his students, now he's claiming to have forgotten him until we turned up - probably clutching at straws here but hey!  
"Why thank you very much for your valuable time professor, you have been most helpful to our enquiries." Clarence says trying to smooth his ruffled ego a bit.
Last edited by Cearlan on Sat May 27, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Clarence,He seems to be telling the truth, overall, although he feels the conversation is a waste of his precious time. That is the impression you get.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, thank you, Professor," says Holly. "We'll go seek out the department secretary."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher is very pleased to be leaving Titchener's office and won't bother to offer his thanks.

"Someone with attitude like that has no place teaching.." he says crossly once outside the room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're right," says Holly. "I think his treatment of Mr. Job was one of the reasons he ended up joining that cult."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”