Page 1 of 1

[IC - LA] Buchwald's Office (Ian, Clar. and Cam)

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:44 pm
by Overlord87
You leave the hotel under a darkening sky. Black clouds are gathering over the city and covering the sun, and the first drops of rain are starting to fall by the time you reach the address of Buchwald's accounting office. It's a white, four-storey building, just like hundreds of others in the city. Clarence parks the car some fifty meters earlier, on the other side of the street.

The street is crowded at this hour of the morning, with people running around, eager to reach cover before the real downpour begins. Before entering the building, you discuss on your plan of action.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Everybody roll Sense Trouble.  

Re: [IC - LA] Buchwald's Office (Ian, Clar. and Cam)

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:48 pm
by leonardolad
Sense Trouble,[ooc]Sense Trouble = 3 http://orokos.com/roll/464985[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 pm
by Cearlan
Spoiler:
Sense Trouble,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:09 am
by HoneyDog
Sense trouble,1d6=5 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/465390]Sense Trouble[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]5[/b]

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:47 am
by Overlord87
You haven't noticed anything strange while driving, and there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious here, too.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron watches the office building thoughtfully. "It might be an idea to check his office before we go charging in. He probably has a secretary and maybe some partners or clerks. We don't want to go storming in if we're going to have an audience. Perhaps one of us should pose as a prospective client?"

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:05 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"That's a good idea, but wouldn't be too risky for anyone to go alone? Maybe two of us can go and the other stays in the car."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
"If I am staying out in the car while you are going in, perhaps I should go and find out the lie of the land." Clarence says looking thoughtful. "That way I can return and tell you what you can expect. I can find out who is on the floor above and pretend I am trying to arrange an appointment with them whilst I see what there is to see. When you go in there, you will be "fresh faces," sorry I mean you will not have been seen by the secretaries or whatever."
OOC:   What is the general layout of the building? What floor is Buchwald's office on and is there a floor above it? Can I assume that the names of the different companies are on brass-plates beside the entrance?  

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Okay Clarence, give it a try. Perhaps you can go to Buchwald's office in error. If you're not back in 10 minutes we'll come looking for you".

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm
by Overlord87
Clarence has no trouble locating the office, on the second floor. From the outside, it looks like a small office, but there's no way to know more without entering.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:29 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Taking note of the name of a business either one floor above, (if appropriate - or one below if not), Clarence knocks on the door of Buchwald's office and enters confidently citing the name of the other business

"I wish to arrange an appointment with Mr Dewar of Dewar Imports for today if possible!"

I look around the office space taking in every detail I can
OOC:   Would evidence collection be appropriate here? if so here it is;-

[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:17 pm
by Overlord87
Clarence sees a small room with a small couch for clients to sit on while waiting, and a desk where a secretary is working on. There's a door leading to another room, likely Buchwald's working room. She looks to be in her mid-twenties, with a pretty face and long blond hair. She turns towards Clarence and smiles: "Good morning, mister. An appointment? Certainly." She checks some notes before adding: "Mr. Buchwald has a client coming in in twenty minutes, but it should not take long. If Mr. Dewar is available one hour from now, we can set the appointment right away. Otherwise, in the afternoon... around 4 PM i think." She speaks quickly and efficiently. Nothing about the office looks strange to you, and from what you can tell, this is a real accounting office and this young woman is actually working as a secretary.

OOC:   No need to rol for Investigative abilities, they are always a success. Only general abilities are rolled. You need some time to use Evidence Collection, though, but I've added your general impression of the office.  

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:43 am
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
"Then I'll take the four o'clock appointment if that's alright - my name is Francis Porter. Thank you madam, I'll see you then."

Clarence returns to the car and says to Ian and Cam, "Buchwald;s reception area is a small room with a small couch and a desk where a secretary is working. I would she looks to be in her mid-twenties, and seems to cover Buchwald's office. Oh and Buchwald has a client due in 15 -20 minutes - perhaps we could see who turns up."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:07 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Good work Clarence” says Cameron. “Why don’t we see who’s coming to visit Buchwald, and after they’ve gone we can pay him a little visit ourselves”.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:59 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Whoops sorry guys, I read: "I wish to arrange an appointment FOR Mr Dewar of Dewar Imports for today if possible!" instead of "I wish to arrange an appointment WITH Mr Dewar of Dewar Imports for today if possible!"

The secretary only works for Buchwald, so if you ask for a meeting WITH Mr. Dewar she'll tell you to go on the floor below this one. It's just a minor issue, though, so I don't know if it's worth replaying the scene just for this.

Also, I didn't mention it, but on the office waiting room there's also a door leading to Buchwald''s working room. I think I was still recovering from the Christmas's family lunch, and it sort of slipped :D

Keeping this corrections in mind, shall we just proceed with the scene?  
You wait for twenty minutes in the building's entrance hall until you see a well-dressed man entering and heading for the stairs. He's tall, wears a suit and a hat, clean-shaved, carries a small briefcase. Cameron follows him to make sure that he enters in Buchwald's office, and he does. After about thirty minutes, the man comes down in the hall and exits the building, still carrying the briefcase. At a first glance, nothing suspicious catches your eye about the man.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Do you want to follow him, or just go for Buchwald?  

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:38 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence drums his forefingers on the steering wheel and says "Look guys - we know where Buchwald is ... and is likely to be for the foreseeable future. I reckon we should be after this guy. If on of you follows him on foot I can tail a short distance behind in the car in case he gets into a car himself."

[quote="Overlord87"]
OOC:   Whoops sorry guys, I read: "I wish to arrange an appointment FOR Mr Dewar of Dewar Imports for today if possible!" instead of "I wish to arrange an appointment WITH Mr Dewar of Dewar Imports for today if possible!"

The secretary only works for Buchwald, so if you ask for a meeting WITH Mr. Dewar she'll tell you to go on the floor below this one. It's just a minor issue, though, so I don't know if it's worth replaying the scene just for this.

Also, I didn't mention it, but on the office waiting room there's also a door leading to Buchwald''s working room. I think I was still recovering from the Christmas's family lunch, and it sort of slipped :D

Keeping this corrections in mind, shall we just proceed with the scene?  
OOC:   I think we all have to accept that Christmas is a time for over-indulgence. ;-)  

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:58 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Agreed. I'll follow him. If you lose us, I'll meet you back at Buchwald's"

He sets off after the man.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:12 am
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

Inside the car Ian lights a cigarette and sits fully upright in tension. "Ok, let's go, Clarence. Don't lose them." He says, trying to support his friend.
OOC:   Does Ian recognize the man?  

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
With Cam following the man, I slowly drive after Cameron in order to not alert the 'mark.' I let him get between a block or maybe half a block away (depending on how busy the pavements are) before moving after him and catching him up before waiting.

"OK here goes buddy" I say to Ian trying not to let his tension get to me.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:40 pm
by Overlord87
You follow the man as he walks for a few hundred meters along the street. He walks at a quick pace, yet he doesn't look nervous, and to Cameron he doesn't seem a man that could consider the possibility of being followed - just someone going about his usual business. After ten minutes or so, the man enters another low building, apparently housing the offices of a small publishing company called Prescott & Kent Publishing.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:42 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence parks up so that he can see the entrance before turning to Ian.

"I don't think he suspects we are following him, but with all the weirdness that's been happening on this case I think it's best not to take chances. Do you think it would be an idea to either go in and ... I don't know, enquire about their prices or something or would it be better to cover the rear entrance do you think? I think someone should go in myself."

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron hurries back to the car. “It’s a publishing company” he says to the others. “It looks legitimate enough. We might be wasting our time, but we should check it out as we’re here”.

He turns to Clarence. “Clarence, do you mind being our eyeballs again?”

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:55 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence gives a tight smile.

"Sure, I can make inquiries about the cost of a print run of a pamphlet as I just suggested to Ian."

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 pm
by Overlord87
Clarence heads inside the offices, feigning himself a customer and asking questions. From what he can see, this looks like legitimate publishing company, and everything seems to be in order.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   Can Clarence see the chap we have followed from Buchwald's office and if so - what is he doing?  

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:13 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   No, you can't see him. There's an area open to customers, then a working area where the printing is done (you can locate this area quite easily by the noise, it's in the back on the ground floor), then you think there are some offices on the second floor. The man you've followed might be there, as he didn't look like a man doing the heavy work.  

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:41 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence questions whoever is on the front desk about a fictitious pamphlet run of say 500 copies. He strings it out by asking if it would be cheaper with a larger rum and discuss quality of papers used. If the mark does not make an appearance then he'll return to the car and discuss whatever was seen, namely, press on the ground floor and offices upstairs.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:59 pm
by Overlord87
Clarence remains inside for as long as he can, about half an hour. In that time, the man does not reappear. He then heads outside and joins the others in the car.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"What did you find Clarence?"

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
"Well Cam, the printing press and the work seems to be done on the ground floor with offices upstairs. I did not see the mark at all so must have to assume he went straight upstairs to the offices. I hung around the front desk as much as I could without drawing suspicion upon myself asking all sorts of questions that I could think of with a friendly guy called "Chuck". In the end I ran out of questions I could ask him. Fortunately I did have some business fliers printed back home so had a basic knowledge of some of the stuff they do."
OOC:   (An assumption on my behalf - please remove if not appropriate).  
"Still we have another possible lead - but need to be aware that this could be a dead end clue. After all if Buchwald really is an accountant - then it stands to reason that he would have to have some 'legitimate' clients. We could always pay an after hours visit to Buchwald's offices to see what we can uncover, but this means crossing over the line by a long step, and once we do it there can be no turning back."

Clarence watches Cam and Ian closely to try and gauge their reactions to this suggestion.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron sighs. "To be honest, I feel the same way. We could be days chasing down dead ends. Buchwald is definitely an accountant, but he’s an accountant for a narcotics network. He might have information in his office which could help us, or alternatively in his home.”

He pauses. “Look, I know that it wouldn’t sit very well with either of you, but I’m willing to approach him directly with the evidence we have of his involvement. It’s unlikely that he’s a hard case, he wouldn’t be involved in the muscle end of the business. If indeed he has legitimate clients then the drugs are a sideshow. We can ruin him if we make his involvement public, and we can use that as leverage. Let me talk to him.”

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"I agree. As we haven't been spotted, apparently, we can always come back here if we find something else on them." He throws a cigarette butt out of the window. "Our best bet right now is Buchwald. If we go with a direct approach we won't have to worry if he recognizes me or not."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:58 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   So, you're going with the direct approach on Buchwald? Who is going in?  

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:47 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Cameron is a good choice for it. He has knowledge of the underworld...  

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 am
by leonardolad
OOC:   I think that if it's a direct approach, we should all go.  

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:18 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   I agree - one for all and all that!  

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Okay then. But we should all agree beforehand on the approach to use. I favour threatening him with going to the police with what we know unless he gives us the information we want.  

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
"Right then, what do we know about this schmutz? And I think it would be good to have a clear idea about what we want to achieve here.

As far as I know all we know is that he is an accountant - probably doing the books for the cult's operations. We also know that he had the code-name "Boxcar" from Cam's work on the accounting book. By the same token Echavaria was called "Black."
OOC:   Would threatening him with the police really be effective - though how else to approach this remains problematic.  

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"I don't think we do know much else. And we won't know without watching him more and learning about his habits. Like I said earlier, if he's not heavily into this, the threat of being publicly ruined should be enough to scare him."

He pauses to look directly at Clarence. "If that doesn't work, I can be more... physically persuasive".

He leans back in his seat. "But there is another alternative. We pretend to also be in the narcotics dealing business, and we approach him to help us with our books. We've heard about him through an acquaintance. But none of these are guaranteed to work."

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence smiles coldly;

"OK then - let's get this done. We'll try and "persuade him with the authorities first and if that doesn't give us any inside information, then we can become heavier in our tactics."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:11 am
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"It's settled then. Let's go."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:02 pm
by Overlord87
You drive back to Buchwald's office and exit the car, walking across the street to reach the building. You walk up the stairs to the second floor and enter the office. The secretary looks at you, surprised, then recognizes Clarence: "Oh, Mister... Porter... I thought you had chosen the appointment at four p.m.".

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:16 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron thinks of his grandmother, his most precious and meaningful relationship, and tries to direct the peace and comfort he feels to the secretary. He looks her straight in the eyes and smiles gently.

"We're all very sorry, but we got into town early and we hoped we could see Mr. Buchwald as soon as possible, as we're on a tight schedule and we'd like to return to San Diego this evening if we can. Myself and Mr. Part are Mr. Porter's business partners. If you could fit us in we'd be so grateful"

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:44 pm
by Overlord87
"I see... wait a second please", the woman says, getting up and entering an adjacent room. She returns a few moments later: "Mr. Buchwald will meet you now", she says, smiling.

You enter the other room to see a small working space, clean and organized. There's a desk on your right, with some simple chairs, and two file cabinets on the wall opposite from the door. There's another door on the left, but it's closed. On the desk there are are a couple of black notebooks, and a typewriter. A man walks towards you as you enter the room, extending his hand.

"Good morning, I'm Abraham Buchwald. How can I help you?", he says with a smile.
Assess Honesty,He doesn't seem to have recognized [b]Ian[/b].

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:39 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence steps forward with a big smile and takes Buchwald's hand firmly looking him straight in the eye as he does so.

"Hello Mr. Buchwald, I am Francis Porter and this is Mr. Part my business associate and this is Mr. Jerry;" he adds indicating Ian and Cam respectively. "Thank you for agreeing to speak with us at such short notice and ahead of my scheduled appointment. Due to a last minute change of plans we have less time here in town than anticipated before we have to return to San Diego, unfortunately by close of play tonight. I'm sure you are well acquainted with how fluid business can be. We need to discuss a delicate matter with you if you could spare the time. May we sit?"

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:50 pm
by Overlord87

"Yes, yes, certainly, take a seat", he says, while returning behind the desk and sitting himself, "What can I do for you gentlemen?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:20 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron fixes Buchwald with an icy glare. "Mr. Buchwald, we have information regarding your involvement in a narcotics smuggling network. I’m sure the name Nectar is familiar to you”. He stops to see how Buchwald will react.
OOC:   Can I use Intimidate on him Overlord?  

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:26 am
by Overlord87

Buchwald looks surprised for a second, then shocked, his face going white. "I-I-I'm afraid you mistake me for someone else... I don't know anything about a Nectar or anything l-like that", he says with a trembling voice.

Assess Honesty,He's clearly lying.
Cameron,You surely can intimidate him, but you'll need a 1-point spend to crack him. And do your best to write a colorful description of your Intimidation :D

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:42 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron
OOC,In that case I'll wait on the Intimidation and see how easily he gives up the info. I'll save it for the end of the questioning.
“We all know that ain’t true Mr. Buchwald. See, us and our associates recently came into possession of a ledger containing the accounts of said network. And your name is all over it.”

He pauses and leans back. “Interesting new drug, this Nectar. I’m sure that the Bureau of Narcotics would like to know more about it. And about your involvement with it.”

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:29 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence sighs deeply and lowers his voice a tone or two. "Now we had hoped that you would come clean about this but it looks as though it's time to play a little hardball Mr Buchwald, or perhaps you would prefer to be called 'Boxcar.' After all it was the name you were identified by, along with another individual code-named 'Black' Now what was his name again ...?"

Clarence looks up to the ceiling, his brow seemingly creased in concentration whilst brushing some imaginary lint off his trousers he continues; "That was it, a Mr. Echevaria, that's what it was, wasn't it? Now I'm certain that the authorities would be more than interested in our story and your involvement in it. It certainly wouldn't do your business any good now would it?" Fixing Buchwald with his friendly smile and cold eyes Clarence delivers his coup de grace.

"But after all we are all civilised and reasonable people here Mr. Buchwald and I'm sure that some arrangement ... some middle ground may be found. Don't worry sir - we are not out to hurt either you or your business in any way shape or form, that is unless ..."

Clarence leaves the threat hanging in the air.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:45 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald covers his face with his hands, and remains like that for a few seconds. Then he says weakly: "Fine, you got me. After all these years, I would not have thought... Echavarria is dead, you know that?" He exhales deeply, then adds: "What do you want to know?"

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:28 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron wonders if this man simply got in over his head. Maybe he wants to unburden himself?

"Why don't you start at the beginning Mr. Buchwald? You don’t seem like the criminal type, and I would know. How did you get involved in all this?”

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence takes out his notebook and prepares to make notes of whatever Buchwald says.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald starts talking, slowly: "I worked for Mr. Echavarria from 1918 when I opened my business until his death in 1924. He was a wealthy man, and keeping his accounts was the lion's share of my business. I took care of the legal side of his money, taxes and things like that, and also of his other... activities, shall I say".

He pauses for a few seconds, then continues: "Mr. Echavarria was the leader of a... I guess you'd call it a church. They worshipped an old-world god they called Gol-Goroth. It was very... druidic. There was a man from the university, George Ayers, a professor. He was an expert about these old religions."

"Mr. Echavarria hosted orgies. That's the plain truth. That was how they, you know, worshipped. He had a drug they all called Nectar that was worth more by weight than gold. They sold it, to people in the cult and to a few really jaded outsiders. I kept record of Mr. Echavarria's Nectar trade. It was the source of most of his money. He had inherited some money, but the lion's share was from Nectar".

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron is fascinated. "And when did your involvement end? Or is this network still active in any way? Answer carefully, Mr. Buchwald."

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:39 pm
by leonardolad
Ian feels somewhat disappointed when the he notices the man doesn't recognizes him. Deep down he thought that maybe Buchwald could have some answers about whatever happened to him two years ago. When Cameron asks about the recent activities of the network Ian holds his breath waiting for the answer.
OOC:   Is Holly's sketch of the man in my dream with any of us?  

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:05 pm
by Overlord87

"It was the summer of 1924. One day Mr. Echavarria called me up to the house, and when I showed he was raving. He said that there was a police investigation trying to bring him down. He told me if the police came around asking questions that I wasn't supposed to talk about them. Pardon my French, but no shit".

He continues, speaking more quickly now: "There was a big ceremony a few weeks after that. I was involved in their... parties, just enough to get the business, you see. But I begged out of that one. I don't mind admitting that I was frightened by the police investigation. Thank goodnees I stayed away, because that was the night the whole thing blew up. I think it wasn't the police investigating after all, but still, that investigation brought about that disaster. I don't know what really happened that night, and I don't want to know. I'm just glad that none of it blew up on me, and frankly speaking, I'm glad I could get out of it. I have a family now. Children. You understand?

He joins his hands as if praying: "You're not going to drag any of this into the open, are you? Nothing good can come of it. Let sleeping dogs lie".
OOC:   Yes, you can have the sketch with you.  

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"It looks like you got really lucky, didn't you, Mr. Buchwald?" He says in a sarcastic tone. "Tell me..." He takes Holly's sketch from his pocket, puts it over the table and looks directly in the man's eyes. "Do you know this man?"

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald looks at the sketch with a pensive expression, then says: "I'm not entirely sure, but I think this might be Trammel. Samson Trammel. But he looks older... did he survive after all? How did you get this?", he asks, then quickly adds. "Never mind, I don't want to know. He was part of Echavarria's inner circle, at least I think he did. Creeped me out, this one, but then again, many of them did. I haven't seen him since 1924, thought he died in the incident honestly".

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"What do you know about Trammel's role? What did he do for Echavarria?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 pm
by Overlord87

"I think he managed most of the Nectar sales, but as everyone close to Mr. Echavarria, I'm sure he also had a voice in all matters related to their... religion. But I don't know much on that".

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron leans forward again and stares directly at Buchwald. He wants to make sure he has his full attention.

"Was Trammel involved in producing the drug? You need to tell us everything you know about what Nectar is, and how and where it was produced."

He leans even closer across the desk. "Or still is produced."

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm
by Overlord87

"I think you misunderstand", Buchwald answers curtly, "I was never involved in the production of Nectar, and I never made use of it. Nectar turned them into unhinged lunatics. I didn't find that particularly appealing".

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:03 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Mr. Buchwald, do the names Savitree Sirkham, Jonathan Brooks or George Ayers mean anything to you?"

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 pm
by Overlord87

"Well, yes, George Ayers I told you about earlier. A professor from the UCLA. He knew a lot about that strange occult stuff they delved in. Knew at least as much as Mr. Echavarria, if not more. I remember Savitree Sirikhan, too. A woman of oriental origins, Indian I think. As beautiful as it gets, wild as a warrior princess. Trust me, had you met her, you would never forget her. The third one...", he pauses to think for some moments, then shrugs, "It doesn't ring a bell, I fear".

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 pm
by HoneyDog
"Buchwald"! snaps Cameron. "Answer the damn question"!

He glares at Buchwald. "I didn't ask if you were involved with making Nectar, I asked about Trammel. And don't give me any goddam attitude."

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald flinches: "I don't know! I was only an accountant! I was never involved in the production, and I don't know who was."

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Did Echavarria have any police on the payroll?"

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald thinks for a few seconds then says: "Well, I can't tell you for sure... he periodically took some money for general "expenses". Those were mostly old books and other... occult stuff. But I can't say for sure that some money wasn't spento to... facilitate things with the police. As I told you earlier, though, Mr. Echavarria was afraid of a possible police investigation".

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"What was Olivia Clarendon's involvement with the cult?"

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:08 am
by Overlord87

"Olivia Clarendon?", Buchwald lets out a soft whistle, "Was she in the cult? Really?"

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"We know that she was associated with a member. So are you saying that she wasn't involved?"

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:02 am
by Overlord87

"Well, not that I remember, no", he answers.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I'm not sure - did we bring the notebook with us?  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:17 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   Do you mean the accounting book? Well, it's likely you might have it with you.  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Jolly good! I propose we have him decipher it for us  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:58 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   Well, you might show it to him, but the book was already deciphered. Cameron is sure of having cracked the code.  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Are there still some code names that we haven't cracked though?  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:07 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   There are code names that you haven't associated with a specific person, yes. They seem to be related to sellers at street level, though.  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:16 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I'd like to show it to him to see if he recognises the handwriting and is familiar with the code. I'm assuming it's his book originally, so he might well know who these dealers are  

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:51 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron pulls out the accounting book and places it on the desk in front of Buchwald. He opens it and says “This is your work, isn’t Mr. Buchwald”?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:06 am
by Overlord87

Buchwald picks up the book and skims through the pages: "Well, look at this... yes, this was mine. It went missing from my office after I learned about the police investigation but before Mr. Echavarria's death. I had duplicates, luckily. I was terrified that the police had gotten hold of them and would use them to put us all on trial, and that Mr. Echavarria would find out."

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“What or who do these codenames refer to?” replies Cameron. “For instance, we know that Echavarria is ‘Black’, and you are ‘Towncar’, but what about the others?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:44 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald answers: "These codenames were for the people that handled the sales of Nectar at street level. I say "street level", but keep in mind that Nectar was no common drug. It was particularly expensive, and as far as I know Mr. Echavarria preferred to sell to few selected clients, reducing the risks of attracting unwanted attention from the authorities. If I remember correctly, those people were mostly mexicans, or latinos anyway. I can't tell you much more as my job required practically no contact with them. They were members of the cult, though, that's for sure. You could't be part of the Nectar production and distribution chain if you weren't part of the cult".

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:13 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron takes the book back, turns some pages and then points the note which had been written inside the account book with the details of Buchwald and Echavarria.

“Do you recognize that writing?” he asks.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 am
by Overlord87

Buchwald looks at the note, then says: "No, this is not mine".

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron is now wondering how much truth he's getting."Who would know who these people in your book are Mr. Buchwald?"
OOC:   Can I assess his honesty again? I don't trust this guy.  

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 pm
by Overlord87

Buchwald replies curtly: "Perhaps the ones who stole it", then he takes off his glasses, looking suddenly tired, and adds: "Look, for me this is... or rather, was, until a few minutes ago... ancient history. I don't know why you are investigating this old story, and if someone from back then survived. But I can give you one piece of advice, for free. There will be no profit to what you are doing. Go home to your families. Hold close the ones you love. There is no profit to dredging up the past".
Assess Honesty,As far as you can tell, he's being honest.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron’s sympathy for the man is limited at best. He feels himself beginning to lose his temper, but doesn’t want to make a scene with the secretary outside the door. He speaks with a controlled voice, yet one which has an edge to it.

“Dredging up the past? Don’t you realise? The shit you and your cultist friends cooked up never finished. So you’ll sit in that chair and answer questions until we’re satisfied. And if we’re not satisfied I’ll throw you out the fucking window.”

He calms down a bit. "Relax Buchwald. we probably won't keep you much longer. My colleagues might have more questions for you. I have one more. Is the name Mark Scott familiar to you?"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:25 am
by Overlord87

Buchwald listens in silence at Cameron's threat, then says weakly: "As you wish... you have the whip hand after all. I don't know anyone called Mark Scott".

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I think I'm done questioning guys. Is there anything else to ask him?  

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:09 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"About this Samson Trammel... I understand that it comes as a surprise to you that he's even alive but there are anything else you can tell us about him? Maybe an address or what kind of activities he was involve with, inside or outside the cult? Also, what happened to Echavarria's possessions after his death?"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm
by Overlord87

"As I told you, I don't know what happened to him after the incident. I have no idea where he might be, and even back then I had minimal contact with him. Regarding Mr. Echavarria's possessions, well... he had no heirs, so if I remember correctly... yes, I arranged the service of Magnificent Villa Auction Services. It's a firm, their offices are in this building, on the third floor. They handled the liquidation of Mr. Echavarria's real estate and belongings after his death".

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   Do we have the photos from the deposit box with us?  

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Well, I assumed Holly would keep them, but if any of you spends 2 points of Preparedness, you can have them with you. Obviously, Holly and Christopher would not have them if they need.  

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Looking at our stats, none of our characters have preparedness! Only Mr.H and Carnage Lee. Perhaps we can take Buchwald with us when we leave?  

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:20 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   I think we have covered all the bases.  

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Lets wait and see what LeonardoLad wants to do then.  

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   I think I'm done. We should probably go to the Auction Services and see if we can get more info on Echavarria's stuff. We could also take Buchwald with us and show him the pictures.  

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Mr. Buchwald is there any other details you can share with us? I know you you're a family man now, conducting a legitimate business, and I can assure you we don't have any interest in bring you any trouble. We're just trying to do good here."
OOC:   Using Reassurance and Assess Honesty if needed.  

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm
by Overlord87
Assess Honesty,He seems to be happy to have left everything behind, and in a way, to have confessed his past misbehaviours. Still, there's something nagging your journalist's sixth sense. You'll have to make a 1-point Assess Honesty, though.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 am
by leonardolad
OOC:   i'll make the spend.  

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 pm
by Overlord87

Ian feels Buchwald is being honest with them, and he really wants to be left in peace. It has happened to Ian before, to have witnesses or sources leaving something unsaid, something they felt was unimportant, or just plain strange, and they didn't want to complicate things. That's the feeling he gets from Buchwald. So Ian presses a little more, and finally gets Buchwald to say: "Do you know what the strangest thing was that Mr. Echavarria ever said to me? One day, when we were sitting together in his study going over some accounts, he looked up out of the blue and said to me, 'Abraham, would you like to know something truly perverse? Those who follow me in the way of Gol-Goroth are deceived. My work goes deeper than any of them know. Prepare yourself, Abraham. Prepare yourself to that end".

He pauses for a couple of seconds, then adds: "I never quite understood what he meant with that. Prepare myself to what? As I told you, I was in for the money, not the occult stuff. Why did he tell something like that to me? Perhaps because he knew I would not understand it - while some others might, and get angry for that. Perhaps he trusted me after all. I don't know, and I'm fine with not knowing".

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:23 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Strange indeed, Mr. Buchwald. I wonder what he meant by that..." He says. "Was he lying to his followers? Maybe in a moment of feebleness he saw in your lack of interest for the cult an opportunity to unload part of the heavy burden of lying to his own friends? Or maybe he was just crazy... Anyway, thank you for telling us that, Mr. Buchwald."
OOC:   I think I'm done here. To auction services upstairs?  

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I agree, I can't think of anything else to ask. I don't think we'll get much more from him. Perhaps we could enquire about the new owner of Echavarria's estate at the auction service - show them some pictures or something.  

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 am
by Overlord87
You leave Buchwald, still a little shaken, and walk up one floor to the offices of the Magnificent Villa Auction Services. They are much bigger than Buchwald's, as the firm seems to employ a staff of at least a dozen people. You are welcomed again by a young, blonde secretary, who asks you with a smile: "Good morning. How can I help you?"

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:03 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron braces himself for yet another round of deception. He puts on his most gentle and friendly face again.

“Hello Miss. Actually, we have some enquiries to make about the sale of a property that your company handled. We’re interested in that property ourselves and we’re looking to negotiate for it. Is their somebody who can help us?”

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:20 pm
by Overlord87
The secretary directs you to a middle-age man called Jonathan Ferris, a senior associate of the firm. The man listens to you, then says: "Well, if it's only related to the sale of the estate, that is public record, so there should be no problem in providing you with the information you request". He asks you to wait and returns a few minutes later with a short file containing the information you requested. The property was sold to a Mark Scott, for a high but reasonable price. Everything seems to be in order, as far as you can tell.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Shall we show him the picture?  

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   Which picture? The sketch?  

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:08 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Yes, sorry that was what I meant.  

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 am
by leonardolad
OOC:   It May be a good idea. Algo, Let's not forget that E should probably have a lot of interesting stuff that must have been sold here as well  

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron takes the sketch from Ian and shows it to Ferris.

"Does this man look familiar to you?"

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 am
by Overlord87
The man practically doesn't even look at the photo, instead focuses his attention on you three: "I'm sorry, are you with the police?"

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Perhaps we can explain using Clarence's private detective credentials - we're looking into some stolen items for a client or something. Perhaps we believe that some of Echavarria's possessions were purchased illegally, and our client is seeking to reclaim them. We believe that the guy in our sketch might have been involved in this buying or selling. What do you think?  

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   Ideally, Clarence should be our guy in this one, I think. Cearlan has been silent in the last few days, though.  

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:29 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Let's wait a couple of days more, otherwise I'll check on him. But he's still active on the forum, I think.  

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:04 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
"No sir, we are not with the police. However, I am a private detective ..." I flash my licence / credentials towards him; "...and on behalf of my client I am looking into certain stolen items that Mr. Echevaria may have come by illicitly. Somewhere along the line, it is possible that this gentleman may be involved." Putting my wallet away I continue;

"It's interesting to note that you said that Mr Scott paid a higher than expected price."
OOC:   Sorry I ain't been around much the last couple of days - problems with my computer.  

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:47 am
by Overlord87
The man checks Clarence's credentials and looks mildly annoyed, but in the end yields: "I don't like you PIs, always the troublemakers. But exactly because I'm not looking for troubles, especially with the police, and considering these records are really old... well, I'll make an exception. Just wait here". He leaves the room again and comes back with a second file.

He keeps talking as you read the new papers: "I was in charge of that auction back then, but as you can understand, I don't remember the details. The estate was sold at a high price, yes. If I remember correctly, it was a beautiful villa in an excellent position, and that was before 1929... properties were more expensive then. Selling the man's belongings looked more troubling... he had all sorts of... weird stuff. But I was surprised to discover that even this sort of stuff has buyers. In the end, we could liquidate his possession without trouble, and quickly. A good work".

The documents report an information of particular interest, in fact. Echavarria owned a certain number of books of value, old and rare editions. All of them were bought at the auction by a Samson Trammel of Pasadena. There's a list of them: Adrift in a Storm-Tossed Sky, The Gaze of Azathoth, The Temple of Furtea-Nya, The Last of the First: The Ends of Occult Dynasties, Lights in Their Eyes: Wisdom and Lunacy 1840 to 1899. Lights in My Eyes: Wisdom and Lunacy in the 20th Century, Collected Sermons of the Float'd Tongue Vol. II.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:18 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Yes, these are some of the items we were tasked to investigate. You wouldn’t have an address or telephone number for Trammel, would you sir?”

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:31 pm
by Overlord87
The man looks back at Clarence, and answers in an unfriendly tone: "No, I wouldn't. Look those up for yourself, and don't come back troubling me again". He stands up and offers you his hand.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   He's not very nice. Still, we could now search for Trammel in Pasadena. Is there anything else you guys would like to try?  

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence narrows his eye as he looks at Mr Ferris with a sideways glance.

"Now then Mr Ferris, we are not out to cause any ill feeling here, we are simply trying to locate some of our clients belongings. You have been most helpful so far. Now I understand that you think of us private investigators as nothing but trouble, but we are just like any other walk of life - good and bad and I'd like to think that we are the good guys here." Pursing his lips Clarence takes a deep breath.

"Now this Mr Trammel may or may not fall into this category, but I sense that from your reaction there is something that you are not telling us. Would you not be willing to help us out here; please?"
OOC:   Would a point of reassurance help here or not?  
OOC:   We should be able to find the address through phone directories etc, maybe trade directories could be available - not sure what is available for thirties USA.  

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 am
by Overlord87
Mr. Ferris seems to soften up a bit, but not much: "I have already done more than I should have, and i don't have any other information to provide you. I do not personally know most of our clients, and I don't know Mr. Trammel. If you believe he made use of our firm to sell or acquire objects illegally obtained, then I think you should report to the police... if you have proof. Until then, I can be of no further assistance to you, and I have work to return to".

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Nice comeback Cearlan! Shall we leave it here and see if we can find Trammel in the phone book? I can always come back at a later date and interrogate this guy if necessary. It's probably best not to cause a scene now though.  

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:37 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence stands and takes Ferris' hand and gives it a firm handshake;

"Thanking you so much for your time Mr Ferris, you have given us a few directions of inquiry to follow. Here is my card in case you need to get in touch with us, we are staying at the Sunset Hotel in case you remember anything else of note that you would like to impart. Good day to you Sir. We do have proof, but like your good self, that would involve breaking client confidentiality, which I know you are aware of." Clarence gives him a disarming smile before turning on his heel and leaving the office.
OOC:   I don't think there is anything to be gained by intimidation at this time - though it might be prudent to see what he does next, make phone calls leave his office or whatever.

Thanks HoneyDog.  
In the outer office, and once everyone has left Ferris' office I bend down and take my time fastening my shoelaces whilst keeping an eye on the secretary and listening to see if Ferris telephones anyone direct from his office.
OOC:   Hoping I ain't got slip-ons on lol. I think that's about as much as we can do here chaps!  

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:45 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   There doesn't seem to be any suspect action from Ferris.  

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:36 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Shall we head on over to Pasadena then? Or at least somewhere where we can get a Pasadena phone
book.  

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 am
by Overlord87
leonardolad,[ooc]I'll update your Drive. You can at this point still decide to go search for Nectar, but also facing your past by tracking up Trammel would be fine (either one of the two satisfies your Drive). Problem is, you will want to meet with him in person, not just search his phone number or scout his house. By today, of course :twisted:[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:17 pm
by leonardolad
Overlord,[ooc]Try and meet one of Echavarria's inner circle member face-to-face? Sounds even less healthier than looking for Nectar :P Ok, let's see how can I manage this![/ooc]
Ian Morin

"Ok, so this Trammel was one of E's cult inner circle member, and apparently he managed to retrieve most of E's possessions, including his occult books. Add to this the thugs in Savannah and that I apparently met the man two years ago and I think we can safely say that the cult didn't die with Echavarria, right? We should look for Trammel in a phone book." Ian says in an impatient tone.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:48 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Agreed” says Cameron. “Let’s find a phone”.

They go outside and Cameron spots a public telephone. He rings the operator and asks if there is a listing for a Samson Trammel in Pasadena.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:50 pm
by Overlord87
"Yes, I have a number for Samson Trammel in Pasadena. Do you want me to put through the call?", the operator asks.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:24 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"No thanks. I'll just take the number and the address too" says Cameron, his pencil poised over his notepad.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:46 am
by Overlord87
You get the phone number and the address, then hang up.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:43 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron shows the address to the others. “Now we’re getting somewhere” he smiles. “Fancy a trip to Pasadena, boys?”

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"YES!" He replies with excitement before complete "Even though, we should probably bring Holly and Christopher along. They should be back at the hotel by now."

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:28 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence Lanalor
Clarence says; "Yes, definitely, I think we should go there as a group and case the joint before deciding what course of action to take next."

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Sure. I get the impression Trammel might be quite a dangerous character. We’ll have to be cautious. Let’s get the car and head back to the hotel”.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   Continues here: viewtopic.php?f=352&t=5919