Page 1 of 1

[IC - LOS ANGELES] Back at the hotel

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:43 pm
by Overlord87
It's late afternoon by the time Ian and Clarence return at the hotel. The sun is setting and the world is colored in shades of red, orange and yellow. You are starting to feel the particular charm of the city, as you inhale the salty odor of the ocean in the evening breeze.

You head back to the room to find Mungo sitting on one bed, surrounded by scribbled pieces of paper and looking exhausted, but he shows a triumphant smile when he sees you. It looks like the decryption was a success.

Re: [IC - LOS ANGELES] Back at the hotel

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Mungo Cameron sighs and rubs his eyes. He’s tired but confident that he is on the right track.

“I believe I’ve cracked it gentlemen, but there are codes within the code. Still, we have something to work with. Perhaps we should wait for the others to return before sharing our news?”

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 pm
by Cearlan
"If you managed to find anything Mungo I am sure it will be of great value towards the overall picture. I'm sure that we are missing something, but like you say - wait till everyone is together, that way we may be able to fill in the blanks for each other." Clarence offers with a smile.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:07 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron winces at the use of his given name.

"Please Mr Lanalor, only my grandmother calls me Mungo. My friends call me Cam
"

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:15 pm
by Cearlan
"My apologies Mu ... errr I mean Cam. I did not mean to cause any offence." Clarence inclines his head and extends his hand.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:26 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron takes the offered hand and shakes firmly. "No offence taken. It's just a personal preference".

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:57 pm
by Cearlan
"Well if I am to call you Cam, then I insist that you dispense with the Mr Lanalor - it's Clarence to my friends."

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:54 am
by HoneyDog
After hearing about the events in Savannah, Cameron knows that Clarence will be a good man to have if and when the investigation runs into trouble again.

"Thank you Clarence".

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

Holly and Christopher return to the hotel and meet up with the others. "We didn't make any major breakthroughs, but we found out some interesting things," she says.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 pm
by HoneyDog
Mungo Cameron

"It's getting on, why don't we discuss our findings over dinner and plan our next course of action?"

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds good to me," says Holly. "It has been a long day."

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:04 pm
by Overlord87

The hotel has a large dining room and, in this period of the year, it's half empty. You choose a table in one corner, far enough from other people to guarantee you privacy. The menu is simple, mostly revolving around meat and salads, but there's also a seasonal 'fish of the day' offering - today it's mackerel. There's a good smell coming out of the kitchen, and this only makes you feel more hungry. After choosing your dinner, the waiter returns in a few minutes with your order. The food puts you in good humour, and you're ready to share your discoveries.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:24 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron opens the notebook and places it so that all the group can see.

“I’m sure you’re all dying to know about this” he says. “It’s definitely an accounting book, and appears to be the actual working book. To work out more detail about these accounts is going to have to take someone with a hell of a lot more knowledge about numbers than this Tennessee woodsman though” he smiles.

“There is undoubtedly some kind of extensive organisation at work here – there’s much use of codenames, some of which refer to people”.

He turns a page and points to a note at the side. The handwriting here is different, and perhaps more recent.
The note reads:
“Echavarria = ‘Black’”
“Buchwald = ‘Towncar’”

“Echavarria we’re all familiar with, but how about Buchwald?”

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've never heard of Buchwald," says Holly, who has ordered a steak, "but I have another name for you: Richard Spend. He's the silent movie actor I recognized. He died in August 1924, but we spoke to his sister. It turns out that he was in some of the same movies as Olivia Clarendon before she was famous, so it seems they knew each other. He got pulled into Echavarria's cult through the sex and drugs; he had been friends with Echavarria. Also, two men who match the descriptions of Walter Winston and Vincent Stack visited her before Richard was killed in the shootout, asking about 'Nectar.' I suspect that's the new drug, but she thought it was probably the name of a movie or a hooker."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 pm
by Cearlan
"All good work so far. Although we may not see how it all fits together at the moment - I bet we will before this reaches it;s conclusion. Well we managed to get to see the police files themselves and they throw up some familiar names." Clarence intones in his deep voice. "The link between drugs and sex is confirmed by the LAPD. One report claims that one night the orgy that these people were carrying out simply descended into extreme violence for no apparent reason. The meeting took place - and the bodies were all found - in or near an otherwise unused barn on a farm. The farmland in question had not been farmed that year and was owned by Echavarria. Another report outlined that a group of vigilantes were the trigger of the destruction that took place that night. Some of these names you have just mentioned Cameron. We have, in no particular order, the bodies identified were;- - Ramon Echavarria; Richard Spend;" Clarence nods towards Holly before carrying on. "Vincent Stack; Katherine Clark; Franklin Cormac Kullman along with six others whose names I cannot recall - oh and our 'old friend' from Savannah, Edgar Job." Clarence flipped a page in his notebook.

"When the police arrived, the barn was already ablaze and most of the deceased were already expired, the rest soon after. The bodies were mutilated, probably by animals, though there was also a report that this could not have been done in the short time between the orgy and the police arriving. The cultists' bodies were all found either nude or wearing robes of apparent ritual significance. There are photos of the bodies. They were not pretty to look at, and matched the description of the events in the reports."

"The detective we spoke to remembered the bites on the bodies and referenced the so called ritual aspect of this case. The consensus of some of the police was that the bites could not have been caused by animals, but those who were in charge, and the coroner, simply put it down to animals. Detective Fowley reckons that these crazies could simply have just bitten each other." Looking thoughtful, Clarence continues.

"Oh and one final thing - someone in the LAPD office took a great interest when we were taking to the detective."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:49 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“We have to assume then that it’s possible the organization we’re looking into has people in the LAPD, and that they’re going to keeping an eye on us. We need to tread carefully when we take our next steps”.

He pauses, thinking.

“The name Buchwald didn’t come up in the police reports? The code name features several times in the notebook. It must be a person or perhaps the name of a business”.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who at the LAPD took an interest?" asks Holly. "What did this person look like? Did you see a name plate or badge number?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 pm
by Cearlan
"Well Holly, I believe that Detective Fowley said his name was Cooper. and that he was not part of the force when these events took place. As for a description, he was pretty nondescript, but his look was suspicious to say the least. As he was in the detective's area, I assume that he was a detective as well."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"He may have any number of reasons for displaying interest," says Holly. "He could be affiliated with the cult, but it's also possible he had nothing directly to do with it. He may have lost someone in the shootout in 1924, on one side or the other. Sometimes people who have been in that sort of situation are inspired to pursue a career in law enforcement."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:02 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“That may be true Doctor, in fact he may even turn out to be an ally. But after the events in Savannah, we need to be very wary about potential threats”.

He pauses to sip his drink.

“By the way, did you and Mr Fontana come by all of this information from looking at the old newspapers Doctor, or did you manage to find other sources of information?”

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"We also spoke to Yolanda Spenzel," says Holly. "Richard Spend's sister, but I'm afraid I alienated her when I mentioned the word 'cult' in reference to Echavarria's group. She got very offended that she thought I was accusing her late brother of devil worship. We also spoke to an occultist who knew of Echavarria. It seems he had quite a reputation."

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"I see. I don't think it's worth investigating Spend any further now. We've probably reached the limit of what we can learn about him. Did this occultist mention any rumours about drugs in reference to Echavarria?"

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:37 pm
by Overlord87
Ian,Since you heard the word 'Nectar', you have felt a strange itching all over your body. You are feeling hot, and while you're listening to the others talking, their words seem to be coming from far, far away. You close your eyes, and can see flashes of light cutting the darkness vertically, almost... almost like mouths biting. You try to drink some water, but your hands are shaking badly now. [ooc]Make a Stability roll.[/ooc]

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:08 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   Oh boy. There you go.
Stability test = 4
http://orokos.com/roll/457466  

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:39 pm
by Overlord87
You are still discussing the discoveries of the day when you hear the sound of broken glass, a glass fallen to the floor. You realize now that Ian has been uncharacteristically silent since the moment you started discussing about the investigation, and is now visibly sweating and breathing heavily. The glass has clearly fallen from his hands, that are shaking out of control. He starts scratching his arms, and neck, and shoulders.
Ian,The itching gets unbearable, and you starts scratching your body, but find little comfort in that. You focus more on the sensation... it's not properly itching... it feels more like hundreds of small mouths biting you. You are also having short visions, but it's all hazed and confused, you can't really make sense of them... you see a hand holding a vial of white liquid... your hand? Then you see a man, a white man, tall and well-dressed, with black hair and dark eyes, clean-shaven, oozing charisma, talking to you... then a flash, and you see that same man, naked, hurting himself with a dagger, cutting a thin line over his arm... and then you are running in the darkness, rain pouring on your burning skin, your teeth clenched so violently you are sure they are about to break. When the visions end, you're left tired, empty. The itching has subsided slightly, too. [ooc]You lose 4 points of Stability.[/ooc]

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:15 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence, who was sitting close to Ian leaps to his feet and heads over to his friends side.

"Ian, whatever is the matter with you man?" You grab at his hands trying to prevent him scratching at himself. Clarence looks round at the rest of the group "What could have brought this on do you think?" he whispers between clenched teeth.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:13 am
by leonardolad
Overlord,[ooc]Questions: Am I responsive in any way, or I'm deeply delusional? Do I notice that what triggered this was to hear about Nectar?[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:02 am
by Overlord87
Ian,[ooc]I have edited your post to add a spoiler button. I have no trouble with players reading, but for those who prefer to keep the surprise, or strictly speaking know only what their investigator would know, it's better this way. Now, you started feeling bad when Holly was speaking earlier, so you're not 100% sure, but it's most likely the world Nectar that triggered the crisis, or maybe one of the names she mentioned, but it seems less likely. After the visions fades, you are not delusional anymore, just exhausted.[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly gets up and goes over to Ian, looking at him with concern. "Try to relax, Mr. Morin," she says as she examines him in an effort to determine what has gone wrong.
OOC,Can I use Psychoanalysis?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:00 pm
by Overlord87
Mr.Handy,You have the impression that he's allucinating. You can spend one point to try and understand if those are actual hallucinations or, most likely, he's re-living a past trauma. If you decide to make the spend, you still have to pass a Psychoanalysis test (Difficulty 3) to actually succeed in helping him (the point spent do not modify this roll, but you can as usual spend additional points to improve your chances of success). Later, with some time to work, you can as usual spend points to help him recover lost Stability. You must succeed a Psychoanalysis test with Difficulty 3. If you do, you can restore his Stability - 1 restored point for each Psychoanalysis point you spend.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:04 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Dr. Chastain? Clarence? Y-yes... I'm feeling better now... Just really tired. I don't know what happened. While you were talking I started feeling strange... having these visions... and the itching. I couldn't scratch it... like if I was being bitten by hundreds of little mouths. S-sorry, can I have some water?"

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:28 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence gets a glass of water and hands it to Ian, a look of concern on his face

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Perhaps we should get you up to your room, Ian.You should get off your feet.”

The reference to being bitten by hundreds of little mouths hasn’t escaped him. He is concerned for Ian, but realizes that they need to discuss this a lot more.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 pm
by Overlord87
Everybody in the dining room is looking at you. It's no more than a dozen people, but still - half the guests and all the staff of the hotel will be talking about you by tomorrow. Obviously, a scene like that is bound to draw attention.

A waiter is running towards you, with a concerned look on his face: "Is everything alright? Can I help you in any way?'

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:47 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron steps in front of the waiter to head him off. He wants to limit any potential scene which might occur.

“It’s quite alright. One of our party is a little out of sorts, tired from our long journey. We’ll take him up to his room. Please see that the meal is added to our room bills.”

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're going to be just fine," Holly assures Ian. "Come on, let's get you upstairs. We can talk there. I can help you."
OOC,1 Psychoanalysis point spent. Psychonalysis roll (2 additional points spent): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:55 am
by Overlord87
Ian,Holly can help you with her Psychoanalysis, only if you want to cooperate and talk to her about your visions. If you prefer to keep them for yourself, she won't be able to use her ability.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:42 am
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

He takes a few sips from the glass of water as he looks around the dining room. The concerned looks make him feel ashamed. "Y-yes, you're... you're right. I'm sorry. Thank you." He says, slowly standing up.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:03 pm
by Overlord87
You leave the dining room under the silent stare of the other guests and head back to one of the rooms. Ian sits on one bed, drained of all energies, while Cameron puts up the "Do not disturb" sign and locks the door behind his back.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Feel free to discuss. If Ian decides to talk about what happened to him, Holly can help him with Psychoanalysis.  

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron is dying to know what happened, but he can see that Ian should not be pushed.

"Ian, if you feel up to it, please tell us about what happened to you downstairs. But if you want to rest, we can wait till later".

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:01 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"No, no... As long I stay in bed I'll be fine. Just give me a minute." He takes half a dozen of deep breaths, trying to compose himself and continues. "I'm not really sure about what happened. I was paying attention to the conversation, and when you started talking about this 'Nectar' my skin started to itch and your voices began to fade. But it was not a normal itching. It felt like hundreds of little mouths bitting me." He starts to shudder just to think of it. "Then I started having short visions, but it's all hazed and confused. I saw a hand holding a vial of white liquid... I don't know if it was my hand or someone else's. Then a man, a white man, tall and well-dressed, with black hair and dark eyes, clean-shaven, very charismatic, talking to me. Suddenly this man is naked, hurting himself with a dagger, cutting a thin line over his arm... and then I'm running in the darkness, rain pouring on my burning skin, my teeth clenched so violently I though they would break. And that's it. Suddenly I'm back and you're all around me."

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:12 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy,You are quite sure these are not hallucinations, but rather memories coming back. You wonder if [b]Ian[/b] suffered from amnesia. You think that a trauma-induced amnesia must be very likely. If this crisis was triggered by the word 'Nectar', then the trauma might likely have something to do with that. If that's the case, more memories might return as the investigation continues. Also, being memories, the point of view was definitely Ian's. The part about the itching resembling bites is probably a consequence of the notebook you found referring to 'The Thing With a Thousand Mouths'. It probably must have left a huge impression on Ian, and considering the stress you all have been in, and his memories resurfacing, all these things must have combined together. [ooc]Ian lost 4 points of Stability. You may spend Psychoanalysis to restore it 1:1 if you want.[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
[Image

"There's good news and bad news," says Holly. "The good news is that you're not hallucinating or going mad. The bad news is that what you experienced are suppressed memories rather than hallucinations or visions. What you remembered actually happened, and it actually happened to you. You didn't remember anything about it before because what happened was so horrifying that your mind blocked it out. That's not madness either; that's just your mind's way of protecting you. It happens to a lot of people who experience traumatic events, and what you described certainly fits the bill. It must have been hearing that word - I won't repeat it - that brought it back. I know this is going to be difficult, but you need to face what happened to you in order to heal. I can help you through it."
OOC,I thought each point of Psychoanalysis restored 2 Stability. Either way, I'll spend enough to give him back all 4 points.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:12 am
by Overlord87
Ian,While you hear [b]Holly[/b] explaining what happened, you find yourself trying to remember more. As you focus on those visions... those memories... you feel a sudden stab of pain in your head. It fades quickly this time, but you're left with something. You are now sure that the vial of white liquid you were holding in your vision is in fact 'Nectar'.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:29 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"I see..." He nods, almost automatically. His eyes focusing in something a thousand miles away. "So... what you're saying is that I really met this gentleman, and participated in some kind of ritual with him? I mean, don't take me the wrong way, Doctor, but it sounds... I just... I can't really..." He continues, overwhelmed by the news. He sits in the bed, staring at his hand when an acute pain assaults his head, like a knife in his brain. ""ARGHHHHH! He screams and throw his head back in the pillow. Suddenly the pain is gone, like it was never there. But he remembers now. "Nectar... The vial with the white liquid... It's Nectar."

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:10 pm
by Overlord87
leonardolad,The fact that those were lost memories and not hallucinations is troubling in a way, but at least you're not going crazy. [ooc]Thanks to Holly's Psychoanalysis, you recover your lost Stability points.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy,[ooc]You are right by the rulebook, but I prefer to handle Psychoanalysis for recovery with a 1:1 rate.
[/ooc]

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly holds Ian's hand. "Hang in there," she says. "Are you feeling better? What you said makes sense. Let's take this slowly. This must have happened no later than 1924, but you must have been a child then. Have you ever been in Los Angeles before?"
OOC,Good thing I have a lot of points in Psychoanalysis, then! I'll spend the four.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:51 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Actually..." He reaches for cigarettes, lights it and takes a few puffs before continue. "Look, I don't really talk about this, and I didn't mentioned it before because there was no apparent relation with what we are doing here, but... Maybe it does." He takes a long puff in his Lucky. "A couple of years ago I came to L.A. for a job. I stayed here for a whole year. The thing is... I can't remember any of it. After the first few weeks... nothing. My mind is blank. All I remember is being in a hospital, ill, feverish, constantly trembling and in pain. I also had these. Excuse me, Doctor Chastain." He unbuttons his shirt, exposing the scars, like burning scars, in his thorax and abdomen. Feeling somewhat embarrassed, he continues."Anyway, after a month or so I got better. The symptoms faded and all I wanted to do was to leave this damned city and go back to Boston." Suddenly he starts laughing, a weak, sarcastic, hopeless laugh."I always wondered what really happened. Turns out I was using drugs and performing rituals with some whacky fella. I really didn't see that coming."

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"That means the cult survived 1924 and is still active," says Holly, "at least as of a couple of years ago. Maybe you tried to infiltrate the cult back then as part of your job, so you had to take the drugs to fit in, and that affected you. I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through, but I'm here for you, whatever you need. I have an idea. If you could describe the face of the man you saw, I can try to draw it. We can get a good idea of what he looks like by his facial features. I can ask you questions about each of them, such as the color of his eyes, how far apart they are, the shape of his nose, and so on. I can show you each part as I draw it so you can tell me if it's right, and I can correct it if it's not."

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:28 am
by Overlord87
Ian talks and Holly draws. She has done some sketching in her life, but this is different. Without a proper model, everything is more difficult. She has to restart twice, after Ian looked unconvinced at the final result. In the end, it takes almost an hour of work, but you get there. You look at the face on paper, and you know this might be the man you've been unknowingly chasing since the day you picked up the job - it was only a week ago, but it feels more like months.

Spoiler:
OOC:   This is the face from Ian's memory. Obviously, Holly only drew a sketch, but it should be good enough that anyone knowing the man would recognize him.  

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:09 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron whistles admiringly. “Very talented Doctor! We shouldn’t have too much trouble matching the picture to a face. Now we just need to find a face.”

He addresses everybody. “We still haven’t finished our discussion. We need to examine the notebook further, especially in terms of working out what the numbers mean, plus we have the name Buchwald. Could this be him perhaps?”

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Holly with a smile. "Really, I've only recently taken it up. We may be able to put a name to this face. I have no idea whether or not he's this Buchwald, but it's possible. You could go to the police and tell them that this is the man who put you in the hospital a couple years ago. You can show them my sketch and ask to look through their mugshots. Of course, he'll only be there if he's been arrested for something before, which is not a certainty. He may simply never have been caught. There's also the risk of tipping off that detective who took an interest in you, or anyone else who is potentially part of the cult. Hmm...perhaps that detective investigated your case when you were in L.A. before. That would explain his interest. It may be helpful to find out what his interest is by talking to him. If we can determine that we can trust him, he could be a useful ally."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:20 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron looks doubtful. “To be honest that’s a lot of maybes, Doctor. Was Ian actually assaulted in any way? I don’t know if the police would be much help, and do we want to tell them that drugs are involved?”

He thinks some more. “But if we can find a way of finding out more information about that detective before we approach him, we’ll cut down on the risk to us. For all we know, he could be one of the code names in the notebook. Does anyone have any accounting abilities? They might be able to make sense of the numbers in it. It will be less risky to us anyway.”

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a thought," says Holly. "We do have his name, so maybe we can find mention of him in periodicals if he's worked on any important cases and what he did on them. For that matter, we can try to find out more about what happened to Mr. Morin by looking at newspapers based on the dates he was in L.A."

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Good idea. Let’s one or two of us head back to check the newspapers for those dates, cross-checking both names. If any of you are unable to work with numbers, perhaps we can also approach a local accountant to help us with the figures in this notebook.”

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:05 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

After the sketch session with Dr. Chastain he starts feeling calmer. "The newspaper is a good idea. I should probably go. I have some acquaintances that can help. If they have something on me from the time I was here, they'll probably know."

He then turns to Cameron "About the book, I do have some accounting skills. Now that you cracked part of the code maybe I can make more out of it."

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 pm
by Overlord87
Ian picks up the notebook and Cameron's work and starts studying it.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:54 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

He takes the book and Cameron's notes and starts skimming through it, with renewed energy. After some minutes he starts explaining what he could understand of it. "Well, after Cameron's decryption, it's easy to make sense of the numbers here. It records the inventories and sales, through a network of anonymous retailers identified by code names like 'Slick', 'Moses' and 'Umbrella', of a product identified by the letter 'N', which I suppose it's short for 'Nectar', and tracked in very small volumes of liquid ounces. The book details the time period from August 1922 through July 1924. A unit volume of 'N' appeared to fetch roughly three dollars of retail price.
You see, the man identified as 'Towncar' is surely the accountant who kept the books. While the name Buchwald is never reported in the notebook, thanks to the handwritten note Cameron pointed out earlier, we can safely say that Buchwald is 'Towncar'. Buchwald was surely the man tending to the cult's finances."

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Is it possible to pick up the photos of the house plans?  

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   You left them just today. They'll be ready by tomorrow afternoon.  

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can go with you to the newspaper tomorrow," Holly tells Ian. "Finding the accountant does sound like the key. He may have died in 1924, but he may not have, in which case he could still be helping run the remnant of the cult."

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:10 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"The rest of us should start to track down Buchwald. If he's an accountant, he should have a registered office somewhere."

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:52 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Good, do we have any other matters to talk about, or can we call it a day? I'm sorry... I'm really tired."

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly nods. "I understand completely," she says. "You've been through a lot, more than the rest of us. Tomorrow is another day. Good night."

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"Yes, it's time we all got some rest.... shall we say 'breakfast at eight'? he asks.
Before retiring,Christopher will check the business directory - it stands to reason that Buchwald has a legitimate accounting business and could be listed under his name.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Sounds good to me, let's turn in. Goodnight everyone."

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:23 pm
by Overlord87
Ian collapses on the bed right after the meeting is concluded, crawling under the sheets without even getting changed, and falling immediately in a deep sleep. Christopher stops to make a quick research at the city directory and discovers the number and address of an office of accounting under the name of Abraham Buchwald. The address is in Los Angeles downtown, not far from the hotel. After that, you all are eager to get some sleep and you wish goodnight to each other, agreeing to meet again for breakfast the following day.

It's not a restful night for most of you. In your mind, you can still see Ian scratching his skin like a possessed man, and you can feel there are more bad things waiting for you along the way, especially if that deranged cult is still alive, as your latest discoveries seem to point out. You spend a couple of hours turning in your bed, or staring blankly at the ceiling, before finally falling asleep. You wake a few hours later under a gray sky, heavy with promises of rain. Still, you feel a familiar excitement rising - today promises to reveal some much yearned truths. So you all are in high spirits when you meet at the table to eat a quick breakfast and decide the best course of action for the day.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope you're feeling better this morning, Mr. Morin," says Holly between sips of her coffee. "Our first stop should be the newspaper. We can find out what we can about this detective, as well as the case you were on the last time you were in Los Angeles."

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:40 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"I'm feeling better, doctor. Thank you for your help. All I need is a couple of scrambled eggs and a hot cup of coffee and I'm good to go." He says, waving for the waitress. "I was thinking... now that we know about the... hum... Nectar... Maybe we can find a dealer in the streets. Try to track it back to its suppliers. I need to know more about it. About what I did."

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:46 pm
by Cearlan
"That's all well and good Ian, but, the thirst for knowledge should never outweigh the fact that we need to take care of ourselves at the same time." Clarence looks worriedly at his friend.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:41 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"I could make some enquiries about nectar, I know one or two people here. But we already have a name and address for Buchwald, who we know is involved in the dealing network. Why not just go straight to him?"

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, perhaps the rest of you can look into sources of Nectar while Mr. Morin and I visit the newspaper," says Holly, pausing to tuck in to her order of French toast. "It's best if he doesn't interact with any members of the cult or the drug business for more than one reason. It's possible they might recognize him. Finding Buchwald might not lead to it if he just handles the books and not the merchandise, though it's still vital. We need to approach this from multiple angles. Plus, if we obtain a sample of Nectar, I can analyze it in a lab. As part of uncovering the supply chain, it should be simple to purchase some."

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:37 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"That sounds like a good idea, Buchwald has to know more about Echivaria and the cult, we'll have to persuade him to spill the beans. I also want to collect the photographs that I took yesterday of the plans of Echivaria's mansion." Christopher tucks into his scrambled eggs, wondering what the day will bring.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:31 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"I'll visit Buchwald. I know how to be persuasive" he adds, darkly.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:58 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Look, I know you mean well, and you're completely right. We have to be careful." He agrees with his head, looking to Clarence and Holly, then continues with a noticeable nervousness in his voice. "But things have changed for me since yesterday. I'm not just helping Ms. Winston-Rogers now. I mean... I want to get to the bottom of this for her but, coincidentally or not, this is also about me, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of things I can remember that will help us, and I feel that following the Nectar trail will help me to unravel that. I can go with Cameron!" He perceives a slight increase in the volume of his voice and stand back, drinking from his coffee cup. "I know I made quite a scene yesterday, and maybe someone will recognize me, but we can find a way. I don't wanna be a liability, and sure as hell don't wanna put any of us in danger. I wanna help." He looks at his friends in desperation, hoping they'll understand.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can certainly understand that," says Holly. "I'd feel the same way in your situation. You should do what you think is best, just so long as you're careful."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron looks at Ian evenly. "I know how you feel Mr Morin, I really do. But you are helping us greatly by visiting the newspaper. You are a journalist, and it's a world you know better than any of us. You don't need to prove anything to us, and they'll be plenty of opportunity to prove things to yourself later. This whole affair won't be finished any time soon, I'll bet my life on it." He pauses. "If you come to Buchwald's, and we discuss the drug again, or your memories get triggered, it could bring on an attack like before."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"There may be something to what Mr. Cameron says, sometimes putting a little 'distance' from emotionally charged situations is a good thing to do but we are also 'groping about in the dark' here and we need to straighten things out so we can decide on what really needs to be done." he adds, hoping that Morin can understand both sides of the argument. "But I don't think we can decide for you... if you want to go to see Buchwald then I will accompany Dr. Chastain, one thing we can all agree on is that we should not 'go about' unaccompanied."

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:12 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Thank you, friends." He says, almost in an apologetic way. "I would like to go with Cameron and see what we can find with Buchwald. I bet he can tell us more about the Nectar. I can call my friends at the Times and I'm pretty sure they'll help you." He completes, looking ate Holly and Fontana.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Cameron sighs. “Very well, come with me. Let’s see if Buchwald remembers you.”

He turns to Clarence. “Clarence, can you come with us? I’d like you there if things get rough”.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:36 pm
by Cearlan
Clarence laughs out loud clapping Ian on the shoulder. "My dear Ian ... There is nothing you could say to dissuade me, though I do think that Cameron and Christopher have some good points about putting some distance between you and this Buchwald. But as has been said - it is your decision after all and no-one would be happier to accompany you than my self. I would of course render whatever aid I may be able to, but I don't mind admitting that this case has me on edge with all the things we have seen, heard and done. I fear we have not seen the depths to which the people involved are prepared to sink just yet either."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"It might be a good idea if someone remains hidden in a car staking out the place when you visit Buchwald," suggests Holly. "If he recognizes Mr. Morin, there's a chance he may panic and run to someone afterwards. It would be interesting to follow him and see who and where that someone is. Sounds like a job for a private detective."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:45 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Yes Doctor, we could attempt to frighten him by threatening to go to the police with what we know unless he spills the beans. In that case he's bound to seek advice from someone. Alternatively, he may not be the type who scares easily. In that case, we could perhaps offer to sell him the notebook back".

He thinks further, furrowing his brow. "Either way, we should tail him as the Doctor suggests. We should also try to tap his phone calls. Do you know how to do that Clarence?"

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's not deliberately tip off Buchwald," says Holly. "If he does figure it out on his own, though, then those become options. Tapping the phone is a good idea too, if we can do it. He may call someone instead of actually going to the person."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:11 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Christopher will volunteer to be the 'wheelman' if we're all going to Buchwald's  

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:44 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   I thought some of you would be going to the newspaper where Ian worked while in LA. Let me know how you want to proceed.  

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"I don't think we can risk tapping his phone for any length of time. It's highly illegal don't forget. If we don't tip him off, we'll have to place him under surveillance; follow him around, see who he meets, watch his house, that kind of thing."
OOC:   Yes, at least two of us need to visit the newspaper  

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:18 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   So:
Ian, Clarence and Cameron to Buchwald
Holly and Christopher to the newspaper
Like this?

I think it would be hard to tap the calls, but if you're determined to, you can try. Perhaps you can decide after you talk to Buchwald.  

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That sounds right to me. [b]Clarence[/b] would make the best wheelman, as he has both Driving and Shadowing.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:18 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Yes, that's fine with me too. Onwards to the Newspaper offices, via the dry luv-store to get those photos of the house plans.  

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:37 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   You'll have to wait until the afternoon to have the photos ready. You can get them on your way back, later today.  
Continues here:

Buchwald's Office

The Los Angeles Times