Page 1 of 1

[IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:44 am
by Overlord87

This time you face a much longer voyage to reach the other side of America. More than 20 full hours of flight are required to reach Los Angeles from Boston, and therefore at least a couple of intermediate stops. Frank looks more and more tired, drinking more and more coffee as the hours and the days pass, but in the end he safely leads you to your destination. You land at the Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, slightly north of the city itself. Frank yawns for a good five seconds as the plane comes to an halt near an hangar in the airport: "Man, I'm beat. Gonna sleep for two days. I'll rent a room near here, I'll be available at any time if you need anything. Good work, and don't get into too much trouble", he says.

A booming city in the thirties, Los Angeles has more than doubled its population in the last 10 years, and it's looking to reach 1500000 before 1940. The airport is bustling with activity, a stark contrast with the rundown airport in Savannah. You rent two cars and head for the city, shortly before midday. It's a beautiful day in Los Angeles. The clear blue sky is interrupted only by stunning rows of green palm trees. You breathe in the ocean breeze and for a moment you almost feel like you're on holiday here, absorbing the optimism of a city on the rise.

The car speeds through the large boulevards. The buildings around you are all very short, and that comes as a surprise for you, familiar with the skyscrapers of the east coast. For earthquake safety, an ordnance caps building heights within the city at 150 feets, with only one exception: the 28-storey Los Angeles City Hall. After driving for some minutes to reach the city centre, you locate a suitable hotel (the Three Palms) and take possession of three rooms, two doubles for the men and a single room for Holly. After eating a quick lunch at the hotel and resting for a couple of hours to recover from the tiring journey, you meet in the hotel hall around 4PM to decide your moves.
Spoiler:
OOC:   I've gone with the same choices you made in Savannah: rented cars and a middle-range hotel. If you wish to change anything, just let me know,  

Re: [IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:09 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Do we want to check into two hotels as a security precaution? Get rooms at the Three Palms - then let Frank know that's where we are (on the basis that he's a suspect) and then take rooms somewhere else?
We can swing by the Three Palms a couple of times a day to see if anyone has been asking after us.  

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That sounds like a good precaution. Once we get settled in, our first stop should be that safe deposit box.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:58 am
by carnage_lee
OOC,after asking for directions to three or four different locations ;)

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:47 am
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Getting a little paranoid, aren't we? :D  
You book another three rooms at the Sunset Hotel, some few hundred meters away from the Three Palms. The safety box key you own only has an engraved writing on it, saying First Bank of Long Beach, and a number, 43.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:14 pm
by laitang
" I suggest we keep a look out for anyone tailing us as we go for the deposit box. Maybe circle round the block at least once - just to be sure.", suggested Clarence.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:52 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Clarence is right. We should be very cautious while moving around." He agrees with his head, then takes a notebook from his pocket and continues "Besides the deposit box, we have other clues to follow, like Olivia Clarendon, the professor from UCLA George Avery... or Ayers, and Echavarria's farm, Blue Flowers. There's also these two fellas, Savitree Sirkhan and Jonathan Brooks, but we don't know much about them."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I know enough to know that Savitree isn't a fella," says Holly with a grin. "I did some basic research on Olivia Clarendon back in Boston. That is her real name, not a stage name. She was born in San Francisco in 1902. Her first leading role came in 1927 with The Long Road, but in the summer of 1924 she had a small part in a comedy called The Twins. I learned a few other details about her life and film career, but nothing else jumps out at me. We do have all of those leads, and the contents of the box may give us some new ones - as well as help as know what to look for regarding our existing leads. I agree, nothing wrong with being careful." While she knows she and the others are exhibiting classic symptoms of paranoia, she also knows that their fear is warranted. She has decided to carry her pistol in a concealed holster strapped to her thigh, something she had read in a dime novel once. It'll be easier to hike her skirt and draw it rather than fishing around in her purse. She just hopes that if it comes to it, the bad guys are more distracted than her companions. "I've never been out here before, but the essence of Hollywood is illusion. Beneath all of the glitz and glamour is a seedy underbelly, and that's where I'm sure our search will lead us."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:36 am
by RhinoRat
Cameron

"So where do we think I would be the most good? I think me and Dr. Chastain could go in the front door and provide a distraction while the others stay back and watch for tails. Or I could sit in a car out of sight and watch as someone else goes to the bank. See if anyone is paying attention or following. Either way works for me."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not expecting any trouble inside the bank," says Holly, "and if there is, there'll be security guards there. It might be best if you wait in the car and keep an eye on it from outside. With the motor running, in case we have to leave in a hurry. I'll go in, but I'd welcome someone else joining me."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:43 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"I can go. Do we have an address?"

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:04 pm
by Overlord87
You can easily look up the address on any public directory... or at least that's what you thought. There's no trace of any First Bank of Long Beach in this year's directory. Puzzled, you extend your research at the previous years, until you finally find it. The last year when a First Bank of Long Beach featured in the city directory was 1933.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:27 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"Does that mean the branch closed down, or did the bank as a whole cease to operate" Christopher muses, "We need to ask a local..."
OOC:   I can't see a lot of point in driving out there, we need to find the 'head office', right?  

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Maybe someone in that address can explain what happened or point us where to go. If it was the branch who closed, the deposit boxes are probably somewhere else. But if the bank as a whole doesn't exist anymore... God only knows."

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"This should have occurred to me," says Holly. "There have been so many bank failures since 1929, it's not surprising that this one isn't there any more. Asking the locals is a good idea. They'll probably remember when the bank was here and what happened to it. You're right, we should go to the address where the bank used to be and see what's there now. The boxes have to have gone somewhere. They can't legally drill into them without notifying whoever rented them and giving them time to respond. Mr. Henslowe never mentioned receiving any notice, or even that the box existed."

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:44 am
by RhinoRat
Cameron

"What about finding out who one of the big wigs was, and having Doctor Chastain here call claiming to be the recipient of the key in an inheritance, and asking where the box is and what the process is to claim it? You know...something nice and simple", he said with a smirk.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we're better off sticking as close to the truth as possible," says Holly. "We're acting on behalf of Mr. Henslowe, who has been confined to an institution, and they can check with him there to verify it. I can mention that I'm a psychoanalyst, but I won't lie and claim that he's under my care. However, if they assume that to be the case..."

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:59 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"I'm not sure that admitting we're acting on behalf of some one that's committed to a sanatorium, wouldn't we need a letter of authority or something like that? Let's not get too bogged down on how we're going to access the contents... let's focus on finding out where it is now."
OOC:   Christopher will ask a passer-by (or the desk clerk if they're still at the hotel) if they know what happened to the Bank - if that fail then it's down to long beach, I guess.  

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:35 pm
by Overlord87
The desk clerk is a man in his fifties, tanned, with a large and well-practiced fake smile. "Well, Mister...", he pauses a second as he checks the register, "Mister Fontana, I don't know specifically about this bank that you have mentioned. If you can't find it in the phone directory, chances are it just failed. Many of the little ones went that way in the last few years...", he shrugs, before continuing, "Most of their... unfinished business... was picked up by the FDIC, though. I think your best bet might be going to the Federal Building, and see if they know anything".

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:29 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher nods and thanks the desk clerk and returns to his colleges.

"The clerk thinks that we can obtain more information from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation they should have details of accounts held and the whereabouts of any unclaimed deposit boxes, that means our first port of call ought to be the Federal Building." he explains.
OOC:   Makes sense - let's go see what we can find out ...  

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:46 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Yeah, It makes sense. To the FDIC then."

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:08 pm
by Overlord87
You quickly find the address of the Federal Building, which is fortunately not too far from your hotel. After less than 30 minutes, you park the car in front of the building, a recent art deco edifice facing a large square decorated with gardens and the ever-present palms. You enter from the front door, and find a directory in the main hall, saying that the FDIC offices are on the second floor.

The FDIC offices are not particularly large. There's a waiting room, and you count no more than half a dozen doors leading to personal offices. A young secretary offers you a smile as she inquires about your business. After a few minutes and some questions asked to the office head, she directs you to Marv Burlington, the responsible for anything regarding the First Bank of Long Beach.

Mr. Burlington is a fat and sweaty man, smoking a cigar as she speaks loudly on the phone. "Look, John, you know I don't have time for your bullshit... I need those numbers... yes, I know, but if you don't have the money... no, another loan is out of question... wait a second", he turns towards you, covering the receiver with one hand, "What do you want?"

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry to interrupt important business, Mr. Burlington," says Holly. "We'd like to access a safety deposit box that had been in the First Bank of Long Beach, which has since been closed down."

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 am
by Overlord87
He tries to shrug you off, but after some pushing and pulling, he grudgingly concedes: "All right, all right... I'll listen... John, I'll have to call you back", he speaks to the phone, before hanging up, "The First Bank of Long Beach... right... we got their stuff. A safety box, you say? Do you have a key or something?"

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, here it is," says Holly, producing the key and showing it to him.
OOC,If it becomes necessary, I'll use Bureaucracy to cut through any red tape.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Christopher has a point in Bureaucracy too, so he'll chip in on that if necessary.  

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:52 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Burlington looks at the key for a couple of seconds, then says: "Looks fine to me. We have all the stuff from the First Bank stored into a warehouse in Long Beach. You go there, show the key to the clerk, he'll open you the safety box. I should have the address somewhere..." he checks some papers, then a notebook, and finally writes down an address and passes it to you. He then casts a glance to the clock: "The warehouse is open until 6 pm, though. You won't make it in time today, better try tomorrow". He stands up and offers you his hand to shake.
Bureaucracy,You're quite sure the warehouse is manned 24h. Burlington is clearly trying to get rid of you as quickly as possible, but you could probably get him to make a phone call and allow you to access the safety box later today. A 1-point Bureaucracy, Cop Talk or Flattery spend is required, depending on how you wish to apply pressure on the man.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly shakes his hand and smiles warmly. "Thank you for your help, Mr. Burlington," she says. "Of course, you're an important man, so I'm sure you have the authority to keep the warehouse open a little longer. Please? It won't take much time."
OOC,Spending a point of Flattery.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:09 am
by Overlord87
The man looks pleased and perhaps weak to womanly charm. "Well, miss, I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do". He picks up the phone again and this time seems to be talking with a security guard. Shortly after, he gives you the "good to go".

You go back to your cars and drive south towards Long Beach. It's not exactly close, and the sun is starting to set by the time you get in the area. As you get away from downtown, the surroundings become more rural, and after a while, you begin to spot oil derricks, tall as inhuman sentinels against the reddening sky. You also notice many ruined buildings - you remember the 1933 earthquake, and realize that while no one is talking about it anymore - and hasn't for years - there's still much to do here.

The warehouse looks more recent than the earthquake, though, and in perfect shape. It's a low, one-store building, almost square, with a large access for cars and trucks, now closed, and a smaller, white door with the FDIC logo. The guard has already been informed of your arrival and welcomes you in. He talks a lot and offers you coffee, perhaps happy for the diversion your visit offers. After a few minutes, he leads you to a back room where he has already placed the safety box you're looking for. You slid in your key while the guard provides the bank master key, and you hear a low click as the box opens. The guard leaves you alone to check the contents.

You feel the usual surge of excitement as you peer inside for the first time. The first thing you notice is a bunch of photos, at least two dozens. You take them out one by one, and even at first sight, you realize they're... extreme. They were most likely taken at the cult ceremonies, and anyone willing to inspect them in detail should be ready for anything. Under the photos, there's a big black notebook, full of numbers and what appears to be codenames ("firelight", "knife", "tiger", and many others). At first glance, you can't make much sense of it.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:01 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Outside, by the cars, Clarance is keeping an eye out for snooping passers by. He nurses a cigarette and leans against the driver's door, claiming some of the lane as his private sphere. In his mind, he plans for the route back, estimating some alternate routes should the need arise to get dodgy.

OOC:   A point in Shadowing is spent for memorizing and computing a viable way back to the hotel, or hotels as it seems. Four was it? A reverse Shadowing was what I had in mind.  

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:04 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

Ignoring the photos, Ian takes the notebook and starts skimming through it.
OOC:   I have Accounting, so maybe I can make some sense of it.  

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:43 pm
by Overlord87
Ian checks the notebook, trying to make sense of the numbers. After a couple of minutes, he is fairly sure that this is, in fact, an accounting book, but there's some sort of code in it that needs to be cracked.
Dave,While Shadowing is used to succesfully follow someone without being noticed, the ability needed to realize you're being followed is Sense Trouble. While Clarence has no points in it, you can still roll 1d6 against an opponent's Shadowing roll (you obviously don't know if there's any, but you roll anyway as a precaution). In general, points can be spent from the ability pool to boost the roll (i.e. I spend two points from my Sense Trouble pool and get to roll 1d6+2 against the opponent's Shadowing roll, that can be boosted as well). Usually, there's no need to spend points to succeed an uncontested action, especially if that action is routine. If your character has Shadowing, we can expect him to know how to actually shadow someone, and any trick that might be useful. You don't need to spend any point right now - your private investigator simply knows how to do his job. "Spends", as they're referred to in ToC, are needed only in particular situations. By the way, if you feel you want to move some points around on Clarence's sheet, change his abilities a little, this is the right moment. You can find a list of all the abilities on the quick start rules. They're straightforward, but if you have any doubt feel free to ask me.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:09 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher hangs back with Clarance figuring that two pairs of eyes are better than one and loiters near the card and the entrance to the warehouse, surreptitiously keeping an eye out for trouble.
OOC:   Using 'sense trouble' to get a feel of if anything untoward is looming.

[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:25 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Clarance looks at Christopher and asks in hushed sentences, "Chris, Did we ever recover information about where Katherine Clark is laid to rest? I have an inkling that there might be more to uncover of we find her photographs. And according to the notebook there should be material either where she lies or at her apartment. Other than that, I can't help but wondering if we're still under watch."

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps you can have a look at the book, Mr. Cameron," says Holly, glancing at it. "Maybe you can crack the code. I'll look through the photos." She begins to examine them, bracing herself for the worst. Someone has to do it, and she is resilient, so she figures it might as well be her.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:13 pm
by Overlord87
Holly,The photos are perverse and disturbing pictures, clearly taken from concealment, each one capturing between three and a dozen people engaged in depraved sex acts in a variety of interior and exterior locations. Even to someone like [b]Holly[/b], that has studied all kind of deviances, seeing this kind of stuff - actually seeing it, not reading about it in a book... It's enough to shake her. Perhaps some part of her never thought things like these were actually happening, somewhere. [spoiler][ooc]Roll against a Stability loss.[/ooc][/spoiler] Slightly more than than half the photos were taken in one or more residences of opulent yet tasteful decoration and costly furnishings. A couple more interior photos were taken in a much more mundane working class apartment, or servant's room. A few of the photos were taken outside, in private gardens. The people in the photos are well coiffed, and some wear elaborate jewelry, but there's no piece of clothing in sight to help determining their social status. You notice one man, apparently of Latin American descent, appearing in all the photos. He is the only one featuring in all of them, and he is participating with gusto in all the "group activities". You also notice that [b]Edgar Job[/b] is present in a couple of the photos. He looks much younger than when you met him, and he is also apparently quite enjoying the situation. You look around the photos for [b]Olivia Clarendon[/b], but can't seem to find her anywhere. There's another face that strikes you as familiar, though... a man that appears in three different photos. You try to recall... and finally it comes to you. The man is [b]Richard[/b]... Richard something. Used to feature in B-movies back in the early twenties. You can't quite make up his surname, or any other useful information, after all these years, but you're sure a few minutes in a public library will be enough to dig up all you need to know about his life.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly's jaw drops, and her face goes ashen. She can't imagine what Katherine Clark felt when she took these pictures, but it was probably similar to how she feels now.
OOC,Stability roll: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:53 am
by Overlord87
After looking at the photos, Holly feels she really needs a breath of fresh air.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Holly loses 1 point of Stability.  

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly puts the pictures down and fans herself. "I...I'll be all right," she says. "I think I'd better step outside for a minute. I recognized someone in the photos. We can talk about it later, once I've recovered." She packs up the photographs, gets up, and makes her way out.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:27 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"Not that I recall, I don't think notebook mentioned anything like that.. just mad ramblings about the 'thing with many mouths' and 'was it all real'... I guess we'll know more if the others get access to the deposit box." Christopher replies after a few moments of thought. He looks up and down the street, "That's what worries me too, we can just keep our 'eyes' peeled' and be as careful as possible. Anyway.. how would yo go about tracing Katherine's grave?" he asks the Private Investigator.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:15 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"The notebook with the mouths scribblings, that's it. The page with Katherine's picture on it had a line saying: 'Katherine has material Katherine has...I'm so sorry Katherine.' About finding her grave, we'd visit her local church or pop by Henslow for a quick question on where she is." Clarance stumps his cigarette out and waits on for the others to arrive back out.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:55 pm
by Overlord87
Cameron picks up the notebook and studies it for a couple of minutes. "Not the work of a professional, but still someone that knew what he was doing. I think I can crack this, but it's gonna take a couple days of work, maybe three".

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:24 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher nods, "Find her grave...." he snorts "Let's hope that cemeteries aren't going to be a recurring theme in our investigation. I'm not sure we can or should just 'pop-by' Henslowe we know that we're definitely not welcome there." he says ruefully. "I wish we had more of a plan... it seems to me that we're 'following breadcrumbs' which could be dangerous for us, we've been caught unaware already and I'm not anxious to repeat that." he adds looking at Clarence "Sorry... you know better than any of us how that turned out.. any aches and pains?" he asks.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Clarence shrugs, and stops himself in mid-motion. The shoulder is still soar. Not to speak of the thigh. Hell, walking is a pain. That's partly why he is content staying by the cars.
"Need some serious target practicing before next. Or a suit of armour..."
He bangs on the plate of the car and breaks the tension.

"A bigger gun would be a start." He smiles at Fontana, his friend.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:52 pm
by carnage_lee
Chrstopher Fontana
"That or a platoon of Marines." he replies grinning, "I wonder what's keeping the others?"

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:43 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

Ian nods to Cameron as he sees Holly leaving the room. "I see. Maybe you can work on it during our breaks. We should be going. It looks like Dr. Chastain is not feeling very well." He takes the photos from the table and walks towards the exit.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:01 pm
by Overlord87
Outside the warehouse, Christopher and Clarence are chatting, while keeping an eye on the surroundings. They don't notice anything out of the ordinary. After about ten minutes have passed, Holly steps outside the building, a little pallid. She draws a long breath as soon as she steps outside the building, before heading towards the two men. Not a couple of minutes later, Cameron and Ian join the others, carrying with them a black notebook and a bunch of photographs.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm feeling a little better now," says Holly, taking a deep breath. "It's one thing to hear about the things depicted in those photos, but it's quite another to see people actually doing them, even if it's just still photos and not a film. They were taken in various different places, the homes of people in different social classes and private outdoor gardens. They all have well-styled hair and some have jewelry, but none of them are wearing clothes, so I can't determine their social class. I recognized Edgar Job in a few of those pictures, and one Latin American man who must be Echavarria is in every shot. None of these pictures features Olivia Clarendon, but I did recognize another actor in a few of them: Richard something or other. Some time in a library and I'll figure out all about him. He was never big, but he was in some small-time silent movies in the early twenties. I wonder if he might have been in The Twins with Miss Clarendon. They were filming that in the summer of 1924."

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:56 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"We were just now talking about Katherine Clark and her job and there could be material at her grave or her apartment. Photos of films. Who took those pictures you're referring to?" Clarance stays leaned against the car but is certainly eager to glean of what Holly is describing.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I had thought that she took them," says Holly. "Wasn't she the photographer of the group?"

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:33 am
by Dave Syrinx
"And she had the doll's face to go with the job." "In the notebook we got earlier one of the pages said Katherine had material. Could this be it?" Clarance asks.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe part of it," says Holly. "I think there may be more. There's also that notebook that was in the box, but Cameron's going to need some time to decode it. Katherine must have been very brave to watch and photograph all those dreadful things among such people. You can look at the pictures if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it."

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:59 am
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"Let's not 'look at anything' out here, we should go back to our hotel to discuss what the deposit box contained and make plans for tomorrow." Christopher suggests.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:40 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Sounds about right to me."

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:08 pm
by Overlord87
You head back towards the hotel, careful not to be followed. After a quick dinner, you gather in one of the rooms to assess the situation and plan for the following day.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Tomorrow I'd like to go to the library and try to find out who the actor named Richard in the pictures is," says Holly when they get back to the room.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 pm
by carnage_lee
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Tomorrow I'd like to go to the library and try to find out who the actor named Richard in the pictures is," says Holly when they get back to the room.
Is that something we'd know from general knowledge?

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:07 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Technically, anyone checking up the photos could remember seeing the guy playing some minor part back in the early twenties. It's highly unlikely any of you could know what happened to him after that, if he's alive or dead, where he lives, any relative, etc.

All these info would need some time spent researching.  

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:53 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   So, how do you want to proceed? Off to a public library? All together, or Ian and Cameron stay behind to work on decrypting the notebook?  

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think nobody should go anywhere alone. I'll go to the library with at least one other person. We do need [b]Cameron[/b] to work on the notebook.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:59 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"We should also pay a visit to Olivia Clarendon, the actress. Our other leads are the Blue Flowers, the Echavarria's estate and George Avery (Ayers) at UCLA. And I agree with Holly. We should remain together as much as possible. Two groups tops."

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should wait to talk to Olivia Clarendon until we know more, particularly about Richard and his connection with her, if any," says Holly. "Assuming we can even get to talk to her, we'll probably only get one crack at her, so we need to know the right questions to ask. Asking the wrong ones will get us shown the door in short order, so we'll have to be very circumspect when we do interview her. You being a reporter would definitely help there, so I think you should take the lead when the time comes."

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Considering that RhinoRat is missing, hopefully not for good, I propose that you leave him behind to work on the notebook, while the other four investigate around the city.
Investigating the b-movie actor at a public library would require a couple of hours, travel time included.
The farm is outside LA, north of the city, a two to three hours drive.
The UCLA is to the west, less than an hour away by car from the hotel.
You have no information on Olivia Clarendon, but she might likely be at the studios. The studios are north of the hotel, about one hour drive by car.  

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:05 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Christopher will go to the library to learn about the 'b' movie actor.  

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm going to the library too, so the other two should head elsewhere. I think we should also hold off on the farm for now, as we might get more clues of what to look for there from the notebook. Plus, we might all want to go out to the farm when it's time. That location could be dangerous.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:53 pm
by Overlord87
You head to the public library to research the actor. His full name is Richard Spend, and he died on the 18th of August, 1924. You dig up a tabloid linking his death to a masquerade party in a farm north of the city. The article reports the police not having a clue about this incident. An obituary lists Yolanda Spenzel, his sister, as his only surviving relative.
Regarding any link between him and Olivia Clarendon, you discover only that they both had a part in a couple of B-movies from the early twenties, namely The Vampire Mistery and Black as Night.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Moving things on. If you decide to split, you can still do it now. Only Cameron has stayed back at the hotel to work on the notebook.  

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This confirms some of what we suspected," Holly says. "I suppose the next step is to speak to Yolanda Spenzel and ask her about him. Let's see if she's listed in the Yellow Pages."
OOC,Do those B-movies (and [i]The Twins[/i]) have anyone else in common aside from the two of them? Who produced and directed them?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:52 am
by Overlord87
You don't find any other commonality of interest between the movies. A quick search is enough to find a home address for Yolanda Spenzel.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:07 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   If we're splitting, me and Clarence should probably go somewhere "safe". We could go to the police station and find the reports on the incident at the farm, or maybe to UCLA and find this George Avery.  

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:29 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   If it is ok for the group and the keeper I'll make the decision myself. So, Ian and Clarence go to the police station and see if they can take a look at the report.

Is Dave AWOL?  

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:53 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   We're getting bogged down... I agree with leonardolad we need to keep things moving

Cameron - staying put and works on the notebook.

Ian and Clarence - off to the Police Station.

Holly and Christopher - Public Library (info already found).  

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:22 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Yes, I'm fine with that. I'm starting to think we might have to worry more about the survival of the players, than that of the investigators :D

Anyway, need to push forward, I agree. I think Dave is still active on the forum, so let's hope he checks in soon. Otherwise I'll send him a PM.

Regarding RhinoRat, he already disappeared once, and this is the second time, without notice. I'll start looking for a replacement.  

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:43 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Regarding Holly and Christopher, do you want to search more information or are you ready to move on? Off to the sister's house?  

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd like to see what information we can dig up on the shootout at the farm in August 1924, most likely by looking it up in the periodicals. The local papers should have more on it than what we found on the East Coast. I'm particularly interested in knowing the names of anyone involved that I didn't know previously and identifying any survivors.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pm
by Overlord87
You try to gather as much information as possible from the old newspapers. That incident caused some commotion, especially due to the most salacious details, and the press tried desperately to drag in any big name from the political world, or some bigshot actor, but in the end couldn't find any. You see Olivia Clarendon's name in one article, but she featured only as someone "linked to the sex club activities" and not directly involved in the incident at the farm. Of course, she was back then not even remotely as famous as she is now. The police investigation led nowhere, and the media coverage faded during the following month.
Echavarria was confirmed dead in the fire along with more than ten others. You recognize the name Richard Spend, obviously, along with Vincent Stack, Katherine Clark and Franklin Cormac Kullman. The farm itself was Echavarria's property, along with a magnificent estate in the most expensive district of L.A.
None of those found on the scene survived. Most were already dead when the police got there, some died shortly after. Some weeks later, the matter resurfaces in the press when Edgar Job is arrested and linked to the incident, but the interest wanes quickly when he's labeled as mentally ill.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ok/ay," says Holly, "I'm ready to go to Yolanda Spenzel's house."

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:51 am
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

After spending some time going over all the articles and documents, making notes and copying information that may be pertinent, Christopher pushes back his chair and stretches. "Well, we have a little new information and quite a bit of confirmation about the farm, Echavarria might be worth 'digging into', he was in charge after all."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking," says Holly. nodding, "Let's see what more we can find on him while we're here."

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:52 am
by Overlord87
There's nothing on any newspaper regarding Echavarria BEFORE the incident. He simply wasn't publicly known. His name was famous for a short period after the incident, but in the end he was just another crazy egotistic criminal, and was quickly forgotten. There are reference to his luxurious and wealthy lifestyle, deriving from the money of his followers and drug trade. He owned a large villa in one the "best" areas of the city, where many large estates owned by the richest men of LA are placed. He died in the incident at the farm and was identified by his household servants. Apart from this, you can't find anything of interest.
Spoiler:
I had already opened the other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=352&t=5842

Take your time here if you need to, when you're ready, post on the other to let me know we're switching scene :)

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:34 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

After an hour of pretty much fruitless searching for any more information on the dead cult leader Echavarria, Christopher decides to stop. "Well that wasn't very encouraging was it?" he asks rhetorically "So this guy was some kind of big-shot but there's next to nothing known about him, almost as if he didn't want any publicity or kept to himself... but this evidently wasn't the case, you can't attract members to a 'cult' without becoming something of a 'celebrity' at least in ;certain circles'. Seems to me that we're looking for information in the wrong places, we ought to look outside of the 'mundane world' for answers."
OOC:   Echivaria was probably more well known in 'occult' circles (if that's a thing). Christopher will use his Library Use to draw up a list of occult book-shops and suchlike (mystics, tarot readers etc) who reside or do business in LA.  

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:46 pm
by Overlord87
You gather the addresses of a handful of occult bookshops and make a quick tour of them before heading to Miss Spenzel's house.

It takes a couple of hour, but finally you get an answer from a gloomy clerk dressed in a threadbare robe. He refuses to tell you his own name, but he says to you: "I know the man you're talking about. Ramon Echavarria. Was a big shot back in the day. You wouldn't want to cross his path. I don't mind telling you who he is because he's dead, so what's he going to do to me now? Held all kind of parties in his estate in Highland Park. Never went there, but knew people who did. All of them lost the right path... nothing good came out of that group, I tell you".

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whereabouts exactly is the Highland Park estate?" asks Holly. "Do you know what happened to it after Echavarria's death, or who owns it now?"

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 am
by carnage_lee
Chrisopher Fontana

Relieved that they've finally managed to get some information, sparse as it is but it at least shows that Cheistopher's thoughts about the 'circles' that Echavarria moved in, the fact that they had only found one person willing to let them have any information was, perhaps, evidence that even after all this time Echavarria's reputation 'cast a long shadow'.

"Echavarria, that's a South American name, right... was he from Argentina? Christopher asks on a hunch.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:32 pm
by Overlord87
The man shrugs: "I have no idea. He might be, or not. I don't know about his old estate, either. You should check at the City Hall, I guess".

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Holly, nodding to Christopher. That should be our next stop, while they're still open, she thinks, reluctant to say so out loud in case the man calls someone on the phone and mentions it.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:52 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher thanks the man for his help, meagre as it was and exits the shop with Holly. "Well, my idea didn't get us much but it does pove that the 'occult community' does or rather did know about Echavarria and it seems he was an unsavory character even among those groups. We could probably find out more but it would take time to ingratiate ouselves with the right people.'

Getting behind the wheel of their rented vehicle Christopher asks "So, where to next?"

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go to City Hall next, while it's open," suggests Holly. "Richard Spend's sister should still be there later. Having someone slip into the occult community would be a good idea, but it should probably be someone who knows more about it than I do."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:23 am
by Overlord87
You head to the City Hall and get access to their archives. Both of you are used to handling libraries and shelves full of files and paper, so you finish the task at hand quickly and efficiently. You find the information you seek in the tax records. In the 1923 records, you find both a property in Highland Park and a farm in the countryside under Echavarria's name (the Blue Flowers). The estate was bought in 1908, the farm in 1922. Both these purchases were regular and the taxes were fully paid. You discover another interesting piece of information: a man named Abraham Buchwald filed in all taxes for Echavarria from 1918 onwards. You sign the address of the estate and search for the current owner: a man named Mark Scott. He bought the estate in 1933.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's good to know," says Holly. "Let's see if we can find floor plans or the like."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 am
by Overlord87
You can find the floor plans, but if you want to bring them out with you, you'll need to ask for a copy (or steal them, of course).

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Let's just ask for a copy.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:16 pm
by Overlord87
It will take some time to make the copy, the clerk says. He suggests you come back the day after tomorrow. It should be ready by then.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Unless something extreme happens first, I'll assume you just pick up the plans when they're ready, without having to actually play the scene. If you need to enter the estate after that, or need to put it under surveillance, or whatever, I'll provide you with the relevant information  

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Actually, could [b]Clarence[/b] simply photograph them? It would probably be faster to develop the pictures.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:51 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
It's you and Christopher here. Assuming he moves around with a camera, you could do that.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:00 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"Yes, a copy that would be most helpful, but first may I make some notes?" Christopher takes the plans to a nearby reading table and rolls the plans out. With a wink to Holly he opens his small briefcase and pulls out his compact 'Leica III' "The faculty are trialling a new 'low light' film, so these ought to come out alright..." Christoper quickly and competently takes enough shots to capture the plans on film.
OOC:   We'd already discussed Christopher's 'field kit' - if necessary I'll use a preparedness point.  

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Nope, no need for Preparedness, since you own the camera and already stated you were moving with it. You could use Preparedness to produce equipment you didn't explicitly prepare beforehand.  
Christopher takes a couple of quick photos, then hides the camera without being spotted. You still ask for a copy, just in case, and get ready to move to your next destination.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:28 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"We'll find somewhere to get these developed nearer to the hotel" he says as they leave the City Hall.
OOC:   If guess there will be a suitable 'drug-store' near to our hotel(s).
OK, thanks for the clarification.  

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Great, let's drop them off to be developed, then go see the sister," says Holly.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:31 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Will drop the film off to be developed at a convenient place - near to one of our hotels, so it's easier to collect the prints when they're ready.  

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:37 pm
by Overlord87
You have no troubles leaving the photos to be developed, then head to Spenzel's house.
OOC:   Continues here: viewtopic.php?f=352&t=5842