[IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

"We should also pay a visit to Olivia Clarendon, the actress. Our other leads are the Blue Flowers, the Echavarria's estate and George Avery (Ayers) at UCLA. And I agree with Holly. We should remain together as much as possible. Two groups tops."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should wait to talk to Olivia Clarendon until we know more, particularly about Richard and his connection with her, if any," says Holly. "Assuming we can even get to talk to her, we'll probably only get one crack at her, so we need to know the right questions to ask. Asking the wrong ones will get us shown the door in short order, so we'll have to be very circumspect when we do interview her. You being a reporter would definitely help there, so I think you should take the lead when the time comes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   Considering that RhinoRat is missing, hopefully not for good, I propose that you leave him behind to work on the notebook, while the other four investigate around the city.
Investigating the b-movie actor at a public library would require a couple of hours, travel time included.
The farm is outside LA, north of the city, a two to three hours drive.
The UCLA is to the west, less than an hour away by car from the hotel.
You have no information on Olivia Clarendon, but she might likely be at the studios. The studios are north of the hotel, about one hour drive by car.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Christopher will go to the library to learn about the 'b' movie actor.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm going to the library too, so the other two should head elsewhere. I think we should also hold off on the farm for now, as we might get more clues of what to look for there from the notebook. Plus, we might all want to go out to the farm when it's time. That location could be dangerous.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You head to the public library to research the actor. His full name is Richard Spend, and he died on the 18th of August, 1924. You dig up a tabloid linking his death to a masquerade party in a farm north of the city. The article reports the police not having a clue about this incident. An obituary lists Yolanda Spenzel, his sister, as his only surviving relative.
Regarding any link between him and Olivia Clarendon, you discover only that they both had a part in a couple of B-movies from the early twenties, namely The Vampire Mistery and Black as Night.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Moving things on. If you decide to split, you can still do it now. Only Cameron has stayed back at the hotel to work on the notebook.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This confirms some of what we suspected," Holly says. "I suppose the next step is to speak to Yolanda Spenzel and ask her about him. Let's see if she's listed in the Yellow Pages."
OOC,Do those B-movies (and [i]The Twins[/i]) have anyone else in common aside from the two of them? Who produced and directed them?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You don't find any other commonality of interest between the movies. A quick search is enough to find a home address for Yolanda Spenzel.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

OOC:   If we're splitting, me and Clarence should probably go somewhere "safe". We could go to the police station and find the reports on the incident at the farm, or maybe to UCLA and find this George Avery.  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

OOC:   If it is ok for the group and the keeper I'll make the decision myself. So, Ian and Clarence go to the police station and see if they can take a look at the report.

Is Dave AWOL?  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   We're getting bogged down... I agree with leonardolad we need to keep things moving

Cameron - staying put and works on the notebook.

Ian and Clarence - off to the Police Station.

Holly and Christopher - Public Library (info already found).  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   Yes, I'm fine with that. I'm starting to think we might have to worry more about the survival of the players, than that of the investigators :D

Anyway, need to push forward, I agree. I think Dave is still active on the forum, so let's hope he checks in soon. Otherwise I'll send him a PM.

Regarding RhinoRat, he already disappeared once, and this is the second time, without notice. I'll start looking for a replacement.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   Regarding Holly and Christopher, do you want to search more information or are you ready to move on? Off to the sister's house?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'd like to see what information we can dig up on the shootout at the farm in August 1924, most likely by looking it up in the periodicals. The local papers should have more on it than what we found on the East Coast. I'm particularly interested in knowing the names of anyone involved that I didn't know previously and identifying any survivors.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You try to gather as much information as possible from the old newspapers. That incident caused some commotion, especially due to the most salacious details, and the press tried desperately to drag in any big name from the political world, or some bigshot actor, but in the end couldn't find any. You see Olivia Clarendon's name in one article, but she featured only as someone "linked to the sex club activities" and not directly involved in the incident at the farm. Of course, she was back then not even remotely as famous as she is now. The police investigation led nowhere, and the media coverage faded during the following month.
Echavarria was confirmed dead in the fire along with more than ten others. You recognize the name Richard Spend, obviously, along with Vincent Stack, Katherine Clark and Franklin Cormac Kullman. The farm itself was Echavarria's property, along with a magnificent estate in the most expensive district of L.A.
None of those found on the scene survived. Most were already dead when the police got there, some died shortly after. Some weeks later, the matter resurfaces in the press when Edgar Job is arrested and linked to the incident, but the interest wanes quickly when he's labeled as mentally ill.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ok/ay," says Holly, "I'm ready to go to Yolanda Spenzel's house."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

After spending some time going over all the articles and documents, making notes and copying information that may be pertinent, Christopher pushes back his chair and stretches. "Well, we have a little new information and quite a bit of confirmation about the farm, Echavarria might be worth 'digging into', he was in charge after all."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good thinking," says Holly. nodding, "Let's see what more we can find on him while we're here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

There's nothing on any newspaper regarding Echavarria BEFORE the incident. He simply wasn't publicly known. His name was famous for a short period after the incident, but in the end he was just another crazy egotistic criminal, and was quickly forgotten. There are reference to his luxurious and wealthy lifestyle, deriving from the money of his followers and drug trade. He owned a large villa in one the "best" areas of the city, where many large estates owned by the richest men of LA are placed. He died in the incident at the farm and was identified by his household servants. Apart from this, you can't find anything of interest.
Spoiler:
I had already opened the other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=352&t=5842

Take your time here if you need to, when you're ready, post on the other to let me know we're switching scene :)
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

After an hour of pretty much fruitless searching for any more information on the dead cult leader Echavarria, Christopher decides to stop. "Well that wasn't very encouraging was it?" he asks rhetorically "So this guy was some kind of big-shot but there's next to nothing known about him, almost as if he didn't want any publicity or kept to himself... but this evidently wasn't the case, you can't attract members to a 'cult' without becoming something of a 'celebrity' at least in ;certain circles'. Seems to me that we're looking for information in the wrong places, we ought to look outside of the 'mundane world' for answers."
OOC:   Echivaria was probably more well known in 'occult' circles (if that's a thing). Christopher will use his Library Use to draw up a list of occult book-shops and suchlike (mystics, tarot readers etc) who reside or do business in LA.  

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”