[IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

Post by Overlord87 »

This time you face a much longer voyage to reach the other side of America. More than 20 full hours of flight are required to reach Los Angeles from Boston, and therefore at least a couple of intermediate stops. Frank looks more and more tired, drinking more and more coffee as the hours and the days pass, but in the end he safely leads you to your destination. You land at the Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, slightly north of the city itself. Frank yawns for a good five seconds as the plane comes to an halt near an hangar in the airport: "Man, I'm beat. Gonna sleep for two days. I'll rent a room near here, I'll be available at any time if you need anything. Good work, and don't get into too much trouble", he says.

A booming city in the thirties, Los Angeles has more than doubled its population in the last 10 years, and it's looking to reach 1500000 before 1940. The airport is bustling with activity, a stark contrast with the rundown airport in Savannah. You rent two cars and head for the city, shortly before midday. It's a beautiful day in Los Angeles. The clear blue sky is interrupted only by stunning rows of green palm trees. You breathe in the ocean breeze and for a moment you almost feel like you're on holiday here, absorbing the optimism of a city on the rise.

The car speeds through the large boulevards. The buildings around you are all very short, and that comes as a surprise for you, familiar with the skyscrapers of the east coast. For earthquake safety, an ordnance caps building heights within the city at 150 feets, with only one exception: the 28-storey Los Angeles City Hall. After driving for some minutes to reach the city centre, you locate a suitable hotel (the Three Palms) and take possession of three rooms, two doubles for the men and a single room for Holly. After eating a quick lunch at the hotel and resting for a couple of hours to recover from the tiring journey, you meet in the hotel hall around 4PM to decide your moves.
Spoiler:
OOC:   I've gone with the same choices you made in Savannah: rented cars and a middle-range hotel. If you wish to change anything, just let me know,  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: [IC - LOS ANGELES] Welcome to L.A.

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Do we want to check into two hotels as a security precaution? Get rooms at the Three Palms - then let Frank know that's where we are (on the basis that he's a suspect) and then take rooms somewhere else?
We can swing by the Three Palms a couple of times a day to see if anyone has been asking after us.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That sounds like a good precaution. Once we get settled in, our first stop should be that safe deposit box.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC,after asking for directions to three or four different locations ;)
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Getting a little paranoid, aren't we? :D  
You book another three rooms at the Sunset Hotel, some few hundred meters away from the Three Palms. The safety box key you own only has an engraved writing on it, saying First Bank of Long Beach, and a number, 43.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

" I suggest we keep a look out for anyone tailing us as we go for the deposit box. Maybe circle round the block at least once - just to be sure.", suggested Clarence.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

"Clarence is right. We should be very cautious while moving around." He agrees with his head, then takes a notebook from his pocket and continues "Besides the deposit box, we have other clues to follow, like Olivia Clarendon, the professor from UCLA George Avery... or Ayers, and Echavarria's farm, Blue Flowers. There's also these two fellas, Savitree Sirkhan and Jonathan Brooks, but we don't know much about them."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know enough to know that Savitree isn't a fella," says Holly with a grin. "I did some basic research on Olivia Clarendon back in Boston. That is her real name, not a stage name. She was born in San Francisco in 1902. Her first leading role came in 1927 with The Long Road, but in the summer of 1924 she had a small part in a comedy called The Twins. I learned a few other details about her life and film career, but nothing else jumps out at me. We do have all of those leads, and the contents of the box may give us some new ones - as well as help as know what to look for regarding our existing leads. I agree, nothing wrong with being careful." While she knows she and the others are exhibiting classic symptoms of paranoia, she also knows that their fear is warranted. She has decided to carry her pistol in a concealed holster strapped to her thigh, something she had read in a dime novel once. It'll be easier to hike her skirt and draw it rather than fishing around in her purse. She just hopes that if it comes to it, the bad guys are more distracted than her companions. "I've never been out here before, but the essence of Hollywood is illusion. Beneath all of the glitz and glamour is a seedy underbelly, and that's where I'm sure our search will lead us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by RhinoRat »

Cameron

"So where do we think I would be the most good? I think me and Dr. Chastain could go in the front door and provide a distraction while the others stay back and watch for tails. Or I could sit in a car out of sight and watch as someone else goes to the bank. See if anyone is paying attention or following. Either way works for me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not expecting any trouble inside the bank," says Holly, "and if there is, there'll be security guards there. It might be best if you wait in the car and keep an eye on it from outside. With the motor running, in case we have to leave in a hurry. I'll go in, but I'd welcome someone else joining me."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

"I can go. Do we have an address?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You can easily look up the address on any public directory... or at least that's what you thought. There's no trace of any First Bank of Long Beach in this year's directory. Puzzled, you extend your research at the previous years, until you finally find it. The last year when a First Bank of Long Beach featured in the city directory was 1933.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Does that mean the branch closed down, or did the bank as a whole cease to operate" Christopher muses, "We need to ask a local..."
OOC:   I can't see a lot of point in driving out there, we need to find the 'head office', right?  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

"Maybe someone in that address can explain what happened or point us where to go. If it was the branch who closed, the deposit boxes are probably somewhere else. But if the bank as a whole doesn't exist anymore... God only knows."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This should have occurred to me," says Holly. "There have been so many bank failures since 1929, it's not surprising that this one isn't there any more. Asking the locals is a good idea. They'll probably remember when the bank was here and what happened to it. You're right, we should go to the address where the bank used to be and see what's there now. The boxes have to have gone somewhere. They can't legally drill into them without notifying whoever rented them and giving them time to respond. Mr. Henslowe never mentioned receiving any notice, or even that the box existed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by RhinoRat »

Cameron

"What about finding out who one of the big wigs was, and having Doctor Chastain here call claiming to be the recipient of the key in an inheritance, and asking where the box is and what the process is to claim it? You know...something nice and simple", he said with a smirk.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we're better off sticking as close to the truth as possible," says Holly. "We're acting on behalf of Mr. Henslowe, who has been confined to an institution, and they can check with him there to verify it. I can mention that I'm a psychoanalyst, but I won't lie and claim that he's under my care. However, if they assume that to be the case..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"I'm not sure that admitting we're acting on behalf of some one that's committed to a sanatorium, wouldn't we need a letter of authority or something like that? Let's not get too bogged down on how we're going to access the contents... let's focus on finding out where it is now."
OOC:   Christopher will ask a passer-by (or the desk clerk if they're still at the hotel) if they know what happened to the Bank - if that fail then it's down to long beach, I guess.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The desk clerk is a man in his fifties, tanned, with a large and well-practiced fake smile. "Well, Mister...", he pauses a second as he checks the register, "Mister Fontana, I don't know specifically about this bank that you have mentioned. If you can't find it in the phone directory, chances are it just failed. Many of the little ones went that way in the last few years...", he shrugs, before continuing, "Most of their... unfinished business... was picked up by the FDIC, though. I think your best bet might be going to the Federal Building, and see if they know anything".
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher nods and thanks the desk clerk and returns to his colleges.

"The clerk thinks that we can obtain more information from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation they should have details of accounts held and the whereabouts of any unclaimed deposit boxes, that means our first port of call ought to be the Federal Building." he explains.
OOC:   Makes sense - let's go see what we can find out ...  

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”