[IC - BOSTON] From Savannah to Los Angeles

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - BOSTON] From Savannah to Los Angeles

Post by Overlord87 »

The plane lands safely at the Henslowe Flag Airport, coming to a halt in front of the already familiar hangar, where Mrs. Winston-Rogers is waiting for you. You feel the tension of the last few days fading as you realize you're back home, finally away from madmen, alligators and violent asian men.
"Welcome home. I'm glad you're all safe", she says with a welcoming smile.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - BOSTON] From Savannah to Los Angeles

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Holly, grinning back in spite of herself. "It's good to be home. I hadn't expected things would be so dangerous."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Yes, very glad to be back... it seems we have 'ruffled some feathers' ..." Christopher then carries on to go over the details of their investigation so far.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian takes a deep breath, as if the Boston air could heal something inside him. "Thank you. It looks like we're in the right track" he says with a dull smile.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Janet nods as she hears Christopher talking about what happened in Savannah. "It must have been terribile. This group my father was fighting seems to be still operative... after all these years. I understand they were dealing in drugs and... strange rituals... perhaps I will discover that I should be proud of my father, then", she smiles weakly, "fighting them must have gotten to him... the paranoia of his last days, the secrets...".

She stops for a few seconds, then nods energetically. "I want to know everything... and destroy this group once and for all. They are dangerous... evil. I understand it might be too much for you, but once the truth will be exposed, we'll certainly be able to rely on the pollice to shut them down. What will be your next moves?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Our next stop is Los Angeles," says Holly. "The contents of the safe deposit box will surely give us some more leads to investigate, and we can also see where it all happened, all those years ago. I'm in this to the end too, wherever it takes us. I can understand why your father and Mr. Henslowe, and the others with them, put everything on the line to put a stop to this madness."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Yes, that sums up our next move; it's the only one available to us really. Which means that the people that are against us may realise that too, we'll have to be a lot more careful than we've been so far."

"So.. shall we meet back here .. the day after tomorrow?" he asks.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

" Yes, lets meet back here the day after tomorrow. I would like to spend some time with my family. ", added Clarence.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds good to me," says Holly. "I can visit my family as well, and do a little background research before our trip." And have myself analyzed, she thinks. She is still shaken up from their ordeal in Savannah, and a visit to Dr. Kaplan would surely help set her straight. "What about that code in the letters? We should try to find someone who can decipher it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Goof point about the letters... who would be best placed to do so?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Cameron[/b] actually has a point in Cryptography, but he hasn't mentioned it yet. Now would be a good time for him to raise the subject.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by RhinoRat »

Cameron
OOC,Good point Mr. Handy, thanks for the assist.
"I did some work with codes in the army, maybe I could take a look at it? And did we try to reference it to coordinates, dates, anything like that?, Cameron asked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Mrs. WInston-Rogers has them right here," says Holly. "Thank you, I for one would be glad to have you look them over. The plaintext might be of interest to you as well. The code, if it is a code, consists of a bunch of numbers, lines, and circled words and letters drawn on them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Janet takes the letters out from the box she keeps them in and handles them to Cameron.
The letters,Henslowe's letters: http://postimg.org/image/th4tp3jkf/ http://postimg.org/image/9th1wl8e5/ http://postimg.org/image/vntckqt0l/ http://postimg.org/image/a8ipw36r7/ http://postimg.org/image/8xid9kxcf/ http://postimg.org/image/x45qicwwt/ http://postimg.org/image/65f8wmck1/ http://postimg.org/image/lgoljxuph/ http://postimg.org/image/oyizvdu9r/ http://postimg.org/image/8mv54c6np/ http://postimg.org/image/mj0keai7l/ http://postimg.org/image/g0you1lrn/
Criptography,As far as you can tell, there's no hidden message in the letters. You think Walter Winston wanted to find one, but his efforts were amateurish and ultimately unsuccessful. There's nothing to find in these letters.
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Cameron

Cameron carefully took the letters, pulled out a pen and paper, and sat down to look them over. He started to read them through once quickly just to get the general idea, but the longing in the tone, and near desperation of the message made him slow down and pay attention.

Once he was done, he started on them again jotting down some notes, counting lines, looking at the circlings and notations and scribblings and comments....

After a while he scratched his head, leaned his chair back on two legs and blew out a deep breath. Then he leaned forward again and looked around the room.

"Well", he started slowly "if there is a code in the letters I can't find it. And I don't think he found anything either. The words and numbers he circled and commented on appear random. If it was code it would be in the dates, or in misspelled words, or a specific word in a specific line based on some sort of prearranged key."

He paused for a second.

"I don't think there is a code. But if anyone knows someone with more expertise, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a second opinion."

Then he sat back waiting for comments.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Mr. Henslowe told us he didn't write these markings on the letters he sent," says Holly, "so that leaves Mr. Winston, and it's too late to ask him about them. They must have meant something to him, but it's possible he wasn't in a rational state of mind when he wrote them. I don't know anyone offhand with expertise in codebreaking, but I have contacts in academia and can probably find someone. It might be worth it, as the information could be relevant to our investigation - if there is any information."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Just 'random' scribbling then.. and Henslowe was co-operative wasn't he? So if there were any hidden message he might have told you? After all he pointed us into he right direction to find his journal... might this be a 'red herring'?" he asks Dr. Chastain.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

"I'm inclined to believe so, Fontana. I'm getting skeptical about the existence of a secret code in these letters. Maybe these scribblings are just the product of a paranoid state of mind, as Holly has suggested. If you have any acquaintances in the academia, maybe it worth a try. Otherwise, we should drop it by now." He says in disappointment.
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Cameron

"So if it was Winston making the marks, what did he think Henslowe was trying to tell him? What message did he THINK would be in there? Normally you code things you don't want said, and Henslowe was pretty opening commenting about the 'incident'. If he was trying to send information about the group or that night in code I wouldn't think he would refer to it directly, that would just bring more suspicion on him from the Doctor's and such. He would have instead talked about the facility, or how bad the food was, or mention old friends or vacations they took, and slip a code into that conversation. If they were 'Master Cryptographers' they would have had a prearranged code and various keys. If they were amateurs I think I would have found SOMETHING, so it does seem like a dead end."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Mr. Henslowe was cooperative," Holly replies. "All right, maybe it is pointless to spend too much time on this. It looks like Mr. WInston made these markings on the letters after he received them, for Mr. Henslowe had no knowledge of them. I think the only person who could possibly tell us what they mean is no longer with us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”