[INTERLUDE] Mungo Cameron receives a job offer

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[INTERLUDE] Mungo Cameron receives a job offer

Post by Overlord87 »

Image Image

Mungo is walking down the street on a sunny spring day in Boston when a luxury black car stops next to him. A man dressed in an elegant black suit comes out of the car and says: "Mr. Cameron, am I correct?" He doesn't really wait for an answer, as if already sure of it. "My name is Thomas Foster, I work as personal secretary for Mrs. Winston-Rogers. She would like to have a conversation with you, regarding a... very generous... job offer".

Cam smiles, quickly looks the Foster fellow up and down trying to get a read on him. He looks in the car (for passengers) and takes a quick peak up and down the street to see whether anyone is closing in on him.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Foster. I am always open to generous offers. The more generous, the more open I am," he says with a laugh, "exactly what is this...Ms. Winston did you say?...needing my assistance with?"

He then takes in Foster's clothes, shoes, the car, and anything else that might tip him off as to the type of people these are and what they might want with him, while mentally scanning through his list of enemies to see whether this could be a set up. The man, Foster, looks like someone that has received combat training, but at the moment doesn't look tense, meaning that he probably doesn't expect a fight. There's no one in the car, except the driver, and Mungo doesn't see anyone suspicious in the street or the surrounding area.

"Mrs. Winston-Rogers will talk to you in person, as it is a... private matter, of extreme importance. If you will follow me, we're headed outside town", he gestures towards the inside of the car.

Cam hesitated for a second at the oddness of the situation. But then he remembered how some of these rich types were used to everyone bending and scraping for them, and not realizing that they weren't the center of the universe. Plus Cam hadn't met many people that he couldn't handle in an enclosed area like a car, and he didn't have anything going on at the moment, so he gave Foster a grin and said "Lead the way."

The limousine heads outside Boston and north through the woods. Foster doesn't seem very talkative and keeps silent the whole trip. After about twenty minutes, the car reaches a small airport, the Henslowe Flag Airport, a signpost says. Despite still being early in the day, the place is dead quiet and there's no one in sight, even though the place seems to be regularly used. The limousine pulls off near one hangar, where Mungo can see a quite peculiar scene: there's a little, cozy sitting room inside the hangar, with elegant armchairs and lamps, and a few bookshelves. One woman is sitting on one of the armchairs, reading a book. She stop upon hearing the car engine, and comes out to meet him.

She's very beautiful, and elegantly dressed; young, in her thirties, dark hair and dark eyes, with a hardness in them, you don't get to see very often. "Good morning, Mister Cameron. I'm Mrs. Winston-Rogers. Please, have a seat. We have to talk business", she gestures towards the hangar.

Mungo raised his eyebrows and gave a silent whistle (still inside the car) at his first glance at the lady that was approaching, but as he exited the vehicle and she introduced herself it sunk in that this could be his new boss and now was not the time for flirtation. When he looked into her eyes he almost took a step back at what he saw, and he decided there would probably never be a good time for flirtation with this one.

Cam nodded his head in deference and smiled pleasantly but professionally as she finished her greeting, and he said "I am pleased to meet you, and I am very interested to hear what it is you think I can help you with."
He refrained from making a sardonic comment about how much Foster had to say about her during the drive over, and he could just imagine his Grandmother smiling at him over his self restraint.

He took her lead into the hangar, and once she seated herself he took his seat and said, "Now how exactly can I be of service to you?"

Mrs. Winston-Rogers lights herself a cigarette, then starts talking: "Well, Mr. Cameron, I'll give you a brief outline of the job, since the situation requires immediate action. You'll have time to get up to speed after the current crisis is resolved." She pauses a couple of seconds to gather her thoughts, then says: "A few days ago I sent some people to gather informations about some... mysterious... activities my late father was involved in about ten years ago. An unfinished business, possibly involving... some dangerous people. I didn't think that my research group would be in real danger, at least not so soon... but they were attacked yesterday morning, by a group of armed men. I still don't know all the details, but luckily they are all alive... hurt, but alive. I have a feeling that this... investigation... is not over yet, and will probably grow only more dangerous in the weeks to come. That's why I'm in need of a people gifted with your... particular set of skills. A bodyguard. Someone that's not afraid of dirtying his hands". She gives you a meaningful look, before continuing: "Your first assignment will be to get to Savannah, where my team is currently operating, and bring them back here. There is a seat already reserved for you on the next flight. Foster will give you all the informations you need. After that, I'd like for you to accompany the group wherever it will be needed... and for how long it will be needed. You'll be rewarded generously, I can offer you 20 dollars per day of work. I'll obviously cover all the travel expenses as well." She pauses for a few second to let you absorb all the informations: "What do you say, Mr. Cameron?"

Cam's face went serious.
"I appreciate the offer Mrs. Winston-Rogers. And if it was to bodyguard you, even with a specific threat but no action against you yet I would consider it generous. But to guard multiple individuals that have already been attacked by multiple armed assailants....", he trailed off for a second.
"It sounds like there are some things that you are keeping back, which I can respect. But I either need to be given more information so I can make a fair estimation of whether the risk will be worth the reward, or you pay me extra to not ask questions. The others are digging up info for you, and probably being paid well for their knowledge, but you are asking me to put my body in front of any blades or bullets that head their way and that is going to cost you more than $20 a day."

"Assuming you are willing to come to an arrangement, I have a few more stipulations. In addition to travel expenses, you will have to cover medical expenses, and in the event of my death I want $500 paid to the person of my choosing. Also, I can't make any guarantees. Especially with a group since if they are like any other group I have worked with they will constantly be splitting up and I can only be in one place at a time. But I will say that if you hire me I will do my damnedest to make sure none of them get hurt, or to minimize any injuries as much as possible. I certainly don't want to come across as a chiseler, so I apologize for my bluntness. And I will admit that I am curious about this whole affair, so I really hope we can come to an agreement."

"I understand, Mr. Cameron. I have no trouble with your additional conditions, and I'm willing to double my initial offer. Money is not an issue here. Time, on the other hand, is. Do we have a deal?"

"I should have asked for more", Cam thought to himself, " but hey, I am no gouger...fair work for fair pay. But as quick as she agreed, this is probably going to be a rough one."

"Yes Mrs. Winston-Rogers, we have a deal. Thank you for the opportunity. Do I have time to pick up my things, or do I need to head out right away?" Cam asked. He barely stopped himself from reaching out to shake her hand thinking she would probably consider that vulgar.

"Before I forget", Cam said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a slip of paper that he handed to her, "Here is who to pay the death benefits to, should the need arise."

The paper listed the name and address of his grandmother. He normally gave this to clients so that they understood the gravity of his work, and might take his safety suggestions more seriously. But he after seeing the hardness in her eyes and hearing her discuss the attack on her employees, Cam was pretty sure she understood the mortality of the situation. But at least she cared enough about her employees to spend money to protect them. That certainly said something about her as an employer.

"One more thing. Not to minimize my skills, but with a group you really might want to consider one more bodyguard type. Just in case they decide to split the party."

Mrs. Winston-Rogers smiles as she says: "I'm happy we could reach an agreement. There's already a private investigator in the group, that should help ensure the safety of everyone. He was actually wounded quite heavily in the fight, and he's probably the reason the rest of the group didn't suffer any... permanent damage. He's under investigation for being part of the gunfight, but I've made some calls to make sure that the matter is handled... tactfully... by the local police. As soon as you reach Savannah, make contact with the rest of the group, and bring them back here as soon as possible. Foster will accompany you to the airport and give you all the information you need." She stands up to signal that the conversation is over.

The limousine speeds away from the small private airport towards the public airport, where a flight towards Savannah is waiting for Mungo. His journey has just begun.

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”