Page 1 of 1

[IC - SAVANNAH] Goodbye, Savannah

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:32 pm
by Overlord87
After a good night's sleep, the life seems a little happier, the sun a little brighter. You meet in the hotel's lobby, luggage ready to travel back home. You head outside, breathing the fresh air of the morning. The rain has fallen for most of the night, lowering the temperature, but the sky is clear now, so by midday it will probably be as hot as yesterday - and much more humid. You walk towards the cars, parked on a small street on one side of the hotel.

OOC:   Everybody roll Sense Trouble.  

Re: [IC - SAVANNAH] Goodbye, Savannah

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly heads for her rental car.
OOC,Was there time for a group therapy session last night? If not, we should have time on the flight to Boston. Sense Trouble roll (no points spent): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:11 pm
by leonardolad
After a good night of sleep Ian feels his leg almost completely healed. He takes two deep puffs in his Lucky before throw it in the curb and get in the car.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:12 pm
by laitang
Clarence stands by the car, takes a long drag on his Rothmans, and waits for the others.
Spoiler:
Clarence rolled a 2 for sense trouble.
http://orokos.com/roll/406249

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:37 pm
by leonardolad
OOC,Sorry, forgot about the sense trouble. Got a 6. http://orokos.com/roll/406287

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Sense Trouble,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:00 pm
by Overlord87
Ian is waiting for the others near the parked cars. Waiting doesn't trouble him, the air is cool and the temperature just about perfect, and he lets his mind wanders on their recent discoveries. Clarence is standing near to him, smoking his cigarette. Finally, the other three comes out of the hotel, carrying their luggage. Everything looks tranquil, but there's something... wrong. Something that caught his attention earlier, but he dismissed, maybe too hastily.

There! Two bulky asian men, dressed in ragged clothes. They were standing near the hotel entrance, smoking. They seemed out of place, really, but not Ian's business, at least that's what he tought. Except now, they have thrown their cigarettes on the ground, and are following Holly and the others. And they're not alone. As Ian looks around, he can see three more. Coming from different directions, they're closing in, surrounding the cars, getting closer, their eyes fixed on Ian and the others. All asian, musculars, full of tattoos. One of them is particualrly big, and features a nasty scar on his forehead.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Only Ian notices the thugs. He can take a single action before anything else happens, anything that could be reasonably done in one second or two.  

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   OK, quick questions:
Does Clarence has a gun that Ian knows about?
Are the thugs right behind Holly and the others? Would it would be possible for them to run back to the hotel or the thugs are between them and the hotel entrance?
Would it be possible for everyone to get in the car before the thugs reach us?  

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Clarence could reasonably have a gun, considering his profession. I'll leave the choice to him. Ian, though, has no idea whether Clarence has it or not.
The hotel main entrance faces a square with a little park in the middle. There's a small road on the side of the hotel, leading into the square, where your cars are parked. Two of the thugs are behind Holly and the others, exactly between them and the hotel entrance. One of the thugs is walking towards the car in the side street. The other two are moving towards the cars from the park.
Holly and the others might make a rush towards the car, but it's highly unlikely that all of you could enter inside before the thugs reach you. Still, you could try (it would be a Fleeing or Athletics roll against the thugs).  

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:15 pm
by leonardolad
As Ian notices the thugs approaching from every side, he does the only thing he could think of: "EVERYBODY TO THE CARS! NOW!!!"

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:50 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   After Ian screams, each of you can reroll Sense Trouble to a difficulty of 3. Any of you that score a success is now aware of the asian thugs. Otherwise, you still hear him screaming (obviously), but have no idea why he is telling you to rush to the cars. if you decide to run to the cars, give me an Athletics or Fleeing roll (feel free to spend as many points as you wish, obviously). Otherwise, just describe your action.  

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:06 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Christopher Fontana
Sense Trouble Roll (1pt spend)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Forewarned, Holly glances around and spots the dangerous-looking men closing in on them. Terrified, she sprints the rest of the way to her car, hoping to get inside and start the engine before they are upon her.
OOC,Sense Trouble roll (2 points spent): [dice]0[/dice] Athletics roll (3 points spent): [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Hearing Christopher's warning an spotting the approaching thugs he starts to sprint to the waiting automobiles.
Athletics roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:22 pm
by laitang
Clarence heard the shout, then realized the situation was deadly serious. He reaches for his pistol, holstered under this jacket, and takes aim at the nearest villain.

Spoiler:
Clarence roll a 3 for sense trouble
http://orokos.com/roll/407324

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:22 pm
by Overlord87
Holly, Christopher and Father Flanagan starts to run towards the cars. They can hear the two thugs behind them running, grunting... but the cars are getting closer... perhaps they can make it in time. Then Holly is grabbed from behind and roughly thrown on the ground, and a single punch hits her in the chest. There's metal on the thug's hand, probably brass knuckles, and Holly feels an explosion of pain bursting out from the impact point.

The other three thugs stop as they see the gun. The one in the side street rushes for cover towards a parked car, still around 7-8 meters away from Ian and Clarence. The other two are in the middle of the road, and stands still. Then one of them pulls out a gun and points it at Clarence, without shooting, at least for now. The big one, the scarred one, starts screaming: "Aaaaghena'ttyyyyuaa iiissaagaaa uurrruuaaa".

OOC:   The thug is speaking in a language you absolutely don't understand, that sounds completely different from anything you've ever heard. Also, it is extremely disturbing to hear, and all of you must roll Stability.

Christopher and Father Flanagan reach the car, but Holly doesn't. The thug's punch deals 4 damage to you. You can try to free yourself with a Scuffling roll.

Clarence can shoot any of the thugs, if he so wishes.  

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Help!" screams Holly, struggling to break loose.
OOC,How does an Athletics roll of 3 succeed and a roll of 4 fail? Did each of the thugs make an opposed roll against us or something? Scuffling roll trying to break free: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:22 am
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Yes, I decided to use an opposed roll. ToC has rules to handle running and chasing, but it's based on multiple rolls and more appropriate for long scenes. Since this was a short dash towards the cars, I decided to resolve the situation with opposed rolls.

Returning to the game, Holly fails to get free.  

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:04 am
by laitang
The sound is disturbing to Clarence's hearing. Nevertheless, Clarence will attempt to shot the villain with the gun.
Spoiler:
Rolled a 1d6 and got 4 for stabilty
http://orokos.com/roll/407716

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:22 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   If Clarence decides to shoot, give me a roll to hit. Remember that you can use points from your Firearms pool to boost your chances to hit. Since you used 3 points during the previous encounter with the alligators, you now have only 3 points left that you can spend during this fight.  

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:50 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Hearing Dr Chastain's plea for help, Christopher turns and heads back to help... the weird undulating sounds coming from one of their attackers makes him hesitate. Shaking his head.. trying to ignore the assault on his ear-drums he launches himself at one Dr Chastain's attackers .. fists flailing...
Stability Roll:,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

In spite of the terrifying situation, Holly manages to remain in control of her faculties. She just isn't strong enough to overcome her attacker.
OOC,Forgot my Stability roll! Stability roll from the chanting: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:55 pm
by laitang
Clarence squeezes a shoot from the gun, confident that the bullet will find its mark.
Spoiler:
Clarence used 2 points roll roll a 5
http://orokos.com/roll/407960

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:16 pm
by leonardolad
As Ian tries to warn his friends, all hell breaks loose. Suddenly, the disturbing discourse of the thug assaults his ears as he sees Holly getting punched.
Stability,Here's my Stability roll: 2 http://orokos.com/roll/408457

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:09 pm
by Overlord87
The thug standing above Holly starts screaming in that strange language: "Igatahrhaaaa kaallaiusala huuuutrymysa". There's something... alien about their voices and those strange words they're using, but more than that, it's the modulation of sound that's absurd... you are sure that humans shouldn't be able to produce sounds like those, and yet... they are.
Stability Loss,Ian, Clarence and Christopher lose 3 points of Stability.

After screaming, he takes out a note from a pocket and waves it in front of Holly's face.

Then, he punches her again, on her right side. Another flash of pain rushes through Holly's body, but at least it seems the brute is now satisfied, as he lets her go on the ground and takes a step back.

Meanwhile, Clarence has shot at the thug armed with a gun. His aim is good, and the bullet hits the thug right in the chest, slightly below his heart. He falls to the ground, spouting blood. The man next to him, the big, scarred one, grabs the gun from the ground and shoots back at Clarence. The bullet hits the private investigator on his left shoulder, pushing him backwards against the car.

Christopher is running towards the thug holding Holly, but is blocked by the second thug, that moves to cover his comrade's back.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Holly takes 3 damage, Clarence 4 damage. Christopher can roll an attack towards the thug if he wants.  

There are people screaming in the streets now, scared from the brawl and the shots fired. Father Flanagan is screaming, too: "Stop! Stop this madness! Somebdoy call the police! Help!"

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I act now?

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:48 am
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Consider that every time I post with the outcome of your actions, it's the end of a turn. You all can now describe your actions in the next turn.  

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly goes limp and feigns unconsciousness, hoping that her assailant will then stop hitting her - and stop paying attention to her entirely, with her friends still out there as potential threats. It doesn't take much acting, as she's taken a severe beating already, and someone weaker probably would have been knocked out by now. She remains alert, ready to act if he does turn away.
OOC,If the thug does ignore me, can I still take an action later this round?

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Weird chanting, guns going off, blood, screaming make Christopher's head spin, heart pound... time seems to slow, he swings wildly at the thug.

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:43 pm
by laitang
Clarence staggers back from the pain. He squeezes off one more shot, before the pain and shock takes hold, this time at the scarred villain.
Spoiler:
Clarence spends 2 more points and rolled a 6.

http://orokos.com/roll/409472

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm
by leonardolad
Recovering from the bizarre chanting, Ian runs towards the same thug Fontana is fighting and tries to punch him.
Scuffling,I spent 2 points: [b]8[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/410079

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:51 pm
by Overlord87
Christopher's punch hits the thug right in his belly, but the man seems used to violence, as he doesn't even flinch. Instead, the man licks his lips and stares at Christopher, as if considering him. The weird moment is broken as Ian rushes in and hits the thug on his face, moving him sideways. The man's answer is immediate and violent, a direct kick to Ian's leg, right above the knee. The second thug, the one that was previously busy punching Holly, charges at Christopher, trying to hit him in the face. Christopher sees the sunlight shining on the metal knuckles on the thug's fist, and moves his head aside by pure instinct, receiving only a grazing hit. The thug also spits, and this time his aim is better, hitting Christopher straight on one eye. He then says threateningly: "Taayauurraaaa kaallaiusala laaaeerruttaaa".
Spoiler:
OOC:   Cristopher takes 2 damage. Ian takes 4 from the kick.
Holly can take action again any time she wants.  
Clarence's bullet hits the scarred thug on his left arm. The man rushes back to cover, behind a car, then shoots at Clarence, but the bullet is lost way above Clarence's head. The fifth thug, the one that was coming from the side road, and went to hide behind a car at the beginning of the fight, shows his face again and throws a knife at Calrence. The blade flies through the air and finds its way to Clrence's right thigh.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Clarence has finished his points in Firearms. He takes 3 damage from the kinife.  
The scarred man then screams: "Raaatyyullaa skreetauyuaaaa", and the thugs start falling back, as if retreating. Only the one previously hit by Clarence in the chest remains still on the ground, in the middle of the square, moaning and bleeding.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Reflexively Christopher wipes his eye, fear of violence and injury replaced by revolution as he wipes the spittle from his face.

As their attackers fall back he moves to aid Dr. Chastain, helping her to her feet.

"Help us.. please." he begs the people looking on.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:14 pm
by laitang
Clarence keeps the gun trained on the retreating thugs, but his injuries are catching up with him, as the loss of blood and pain takes effect. Clarence manages to sit on the ground, and hopes someone will see him before he loses consciousness.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," manages Holly, gingerly regaining her feet with Christopher's help. She staggers over to Clarence, opening up her doctor's bag so she can treat his gunshot and stab wounds.
OOC,I only have 2 points of First Aid left. I'll spend at least one of them treating [b]Clarence[/b], but I'll want to know how badly hurt everyone is before I decide whether or not to spend the other.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:31 pm
by Overlord87
Father Flanagan rushes to help Clarence: "Here, let me help. I have seen worse wounds than these during the war. Let me see...", he looks at the wounds, then adds: "The bullet exited, I don't think there are any fragments inside. The knife... didn't touch the femoral artery. You are lucky, Mister Lanalor... if you can call lucky someone that was just shot and stabbed. Dr. Chastain, if you don't mind..." He picks some clean bandages from Holly's bag and applies them over the wound, looking skillful and composed. He then asks Holly: "How are you feeling? I would like to first stabilize him, if possible", he nods towards the shot thug.
Spoiler:
OOC:   While Father Flanagan is now a NPC, he has First Aid, and he would probably use it in a situation like this. Clarence can recover 6 health points, out of the 7 he just lost. Apart from that, Holly has lost 7 health points as well (those punches hurt badly, there's probably a broken or bruised rib, or maybe even more than one), Ian got 4 damage and Cristopher only 2.  
Meanwhile, the thugs had disappeared. The people that had run away after the guns started firing, are now coming back out in the streets. They seem reluctant to get involved, though. You can hear the sound of police sirens getting closer.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"My rib hurts," says Holly, sitting down, "a lot. I think it might be broken. Maybe the ones next to it too. Yes, we definitely need to keep that fellow alive first, then you can help Clarence and the rest of us."
OOC,In that case, I'll save my last two points of First Aid. [b]Father Flanagan[/b] can also treat my injuries with full effectiveness when he's done with [b]Clarence[/b], while I'd only get half effectiveness if I used it on myself. I'd like to get three points of First Aid from him too to get 6 Health back. There should be enough First Aid points left between the two of us to heal [b]Ian[/b] and [b]Christopher[/b].

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:05 pm
by laitang
Clarence looks on helplessly, as the patches of blood slowly spread from the wounds. "Thank you Father. "

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 am
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher is more concerned that the others get treated, all he has is a bruised cheek. Hearing the sirens getting nearer he decided to make sure that an ambulance or two are on their way, gunshots and stab-wounds might require more serious medical attention than they can render. The wounded assailant looks in a particularly bad way.

"OK, hold the fort here, I'll make sure that medical attention is on it's way too." with that he runs back to the hotel.
OOC:   Christopher will make the hotel staff telephone for an ambulance, explaining that two people have been shot (plus a stabbing). He will also commandeer any medical or first aid supplies that are readily available from the hotel (if any) taking them back to the scene.

He'll also be anxious to get any 'independent eye-witnesses' to the assault to stay at the scene to give statements.  

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:36 pm
by leonardolad
After recovering from the poignant pain in his leg, Ian gets in his feet and tries to help Holly to stand up. "Are you OK? What can I do to help?"

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:00 pm
by Overlord87
Father Flanagan moves towards the fallen thug and starts applying pressure on the wound, trying to stop the hemorrhage. Less than two minutes later, two police cars enter the square at full speed, pulling off in front of the hotel. Five policemen exits from the vehicles, guns in their hands. One of them shouts: "Nobody moves! Hand where I can see them!"

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly remains still, holding out her hands to show that they are empty. "Boy are we glad to see you, Officers!" she says with a relieved smile.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 pm
by laitang
Clarence smiles and slowly rises his hands as far as his wounds will allow.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:19 pm
by Overlord87
Two ambulances are called to bring Clarence and the wounded thug to the hospital. The police gathers statements from the witnesses, then asks you not to leave the city for the moment, until they investigate the matter more accurately and try to gather informations on the asian men that attacked you. Also, the fact that Clarence was the first to open fire could be troublesome, although the police is not sure whether to just let it go as self-defense. The aggression looked organized and planned, and they seems suspicious that some of you might be hiding something, perhaps a link to organized crime.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to go to the hospital," Holly tells the others once the police are done with them for now. "Not only should we see how Clarence is doing and if the one they arrested has said anything, but we could use some treatment too. I'm in rather sorry shape myself. We also ought to at least send a telegram back to Boston, since we can't go in person just yet.'

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Let's get things squared away with the police and get healed up at a hospital. Christopher will get in contact with the pilot, explaining they're delayed a day or two and that they will want to get back to Boston and then onto LA.

Are there any other loose ends here that anyone can think of? How did someone learn of our investigation? Were we under surveillance going to interview Henslowe and Job? Did someone at the Sanatorium 'rat us out'?  

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 pm
by laitang
OOC:   I think we need to question the thug, to find out what he knows, and how he knew about us.  

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:19 pm
by leonardolad
"I agree." Ian says to Holly. "Let's go to the hospital to see how Clarence is doing, and maybe we can talk to the Asian fella. What was that bizarre sound they were making? I never heard anything like that." He says with a frowned face and putting the index finger in his ear, showing discomfort.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:01 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Clarence is being treated at the hospital. It's probably a couple of days more until he can be released. The thug is there as well, under police surveillance. You can make a 2-points Credit Rating, Bureaucracy or 1-point Cop Talk spend to obtain any information from the police about the investigation. The rest of the group has mostly minor bruises, so no need for particular medical care.

You send a telegram back to Boston (or inform the pilot, that will in turn inform Janet back in Boston), and the following day a man is sent to you from Boston to act as "bodyguard" and help you in the investigation. His name is Mungo Cameron, and looks like an ex-con. He reaches Ian, Christopher, Holly and Father Flanagan (still acting as NPC until you return to boston) at the hotel. Clarence is still in hospital.  

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:47 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana
OOC:   Christopher will make drawings of the tattoos that the Asian thugs sported (those that he remembers) and try to elicit help from the others to try and ascertain who they were. Does Savannah have a 'triad' gang (or similar)? We obviously don't want to 'stir up the hornets nest' but I think we ought to try and find out who is setting 'armed ruffians' on us.  

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Streetwise could give you some information in that regard.

First though introduce your characters to the newcomer and put him "up to speed". Clarence is still in hospital, so for now just the other there.  

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly looks the new arrival up and down. He has a very imposing presence, and she is glad that he is on their side. "Hello," she says. "I'm Dr. Holly Chastain. We can fill you in on what we've learned so far. I'm not sure how much our employer has told you already."

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:58 am
by RhinoRat
Cameron

Cameron spent drive to the airport talking to Foster about the case and getting info on the team. After an uneventful flight to Savannah he arrived at the airport and learned from Kearns that the team was at the hospital. He took a small detour to pick up some hardware and ammo, stopped at a department store to grab a suitcase and some clothes and other personal effects.
OOC,Is the team at the hospital or the hotel? After I find out I will continue and respond to Dr. Chastain. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:13 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   The team is at the hotel, except for Clarence that is currently at the hospital and can't participate to the scene.

Clarence, though, might wish to make a spend on Credit Rating (2 points), Bureaucracy (2 points) OR Cop Talk (1 point) to obtain some information about the thug from the policemen that are keeping watch on the two wounded people at the hospital.  

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:39 pm
by RhinoRat
Cameron

After his shopping trip he headed to the hotel to find the team. With only his good looks and charm (or possibly bad looks and a slight bit of intimidation) he convinces the front desk to tell him the room(s) they are in. He headed up, knocked on the door, and called out "It's Cameron. I was told you are expecting me."

After the door opened and he slid his large well built frame through the door he is greeted by Dr. Chastain (above) and responded "Hello Doctor. Very nice to meet you. So far I am pretty much in the dark, except that someone was hurt and your boss thinks you all are important enough that you need a meat shield."
He smiled and took the opportunity to look her up and down appreciatively.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Most of us were injured," says Holly, smiling back, "but Clarence Lanalor got it the worst, and he's still in the hospital. Five Asian toughs ambushed us as we were leaving to head back to Boston after we'd completed the Savannah portion of our investigation. One of them beat me and flashed me a note telling us to drop the case and go home, so we're definitely on the right track. He could have done a lot worse to me. I guess that's what passes for a warning. I'm not going to give up, but I won't think any less of anyone who does. I have to find out the truth, whatever it is, and I won't be intimidated. We need more than a meat shield. Your job shouldn't simply be to take beatings for us."

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"Quite right, we don't want to put anyone else in danger but we could definitely use the help!" Christopher says, offering his hand to Cameron "Welcome to the group." he adds. "Why don't we grab some coffee and sandwiches in the lobby? We can bring our newest team member up to speed and decide on what we do next.
OOC:   Assuming there's no objections..  
Christopher leads the group to a quiet corner of the lobby, where they can all sit, eat and share their experiences with Cameron.

... { catchup } ...

"Dr. Chastain is quite right about the ambush, we were unprepared for any attack.. the events we are investigating happened back in '24 and the 'warning' we have been given seems to indicate that someone is keen to keep things 'under wraps'. Christopher adds after explaining their investigation.
OOC:   Thinking things through a few things occur to me (but maybe not to Christopher) ... however other characters may had had similar thoughts.

Someone has found out about the investigation and wants it stopped. As I see things that leads to two (maybe three) ways that 'someone' could be onto us.

1) Someone close to Janet Winston-Rogers doesn't want us to proceed.

2) Someone is keeping tabs on Henslowe and/or Job.

3a) Someone (Fr. Flannigan?) discovered the Henslowe's accounts and Ian discovered that they are in a bad shape - where has the money gone? An old bed-ridden lady and a gardener, spending all that much?
3b) Did we get a satisfactory reason/answer as to how/why Job ended up in Savannah? He was convicted in California (right?) so he should be 'locked up' there (right?) So, why is he at Joy Grove?

So... if someone is keeping tabs on H and J then there is probably someone (staff member) keeping an eye out; that would mean that the Asian thugs are 'local' as the attack on our group happened soon after visiting the Sanatorium.

If it's someone close to Mrs W-R then is highly likely that the Asian thugs are not local and (perhaps) followed us down from Boston (are the timings possible?) after all an 'insider' could find out where we were staying.

It also seems that the Asian thugs (and/or whoever sent them) is unaware of our visit to the Henslowe place - if they were then they would probably be aware of our digging and deduce we 'found stuff' - it that were the case wouldn't they want whatever we found?

Anyway... these are just my ramblings and as I said probably something that Christopher would not 'think of'.

[To be honest, the attack seems 'out of place' - maybe it's just meant to impress on the players that 'things are serious'.]  

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 pm
by leonardolad
"Nice to meet you, Mr. Cameron. I'm Ian." He says, nodding with his head. "Your arrival is most welcome, indeed. As Mr. Fontana and Dr. Chastain said, we were looking into incidents that happened more than a decade ago, but it seems like someone is not very happy with it. Maybe the cult didn't stop its activities after Echavarria's death?"

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:52 pm
by laitang
OOC:   Clarence will spend 1 point on Cop Talk, to get info on the thug.  

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:55 pm
by laitang
OOC:  
OOC:   My suspicions are that we were watched, they saw us find the book, and now they want it.
Who could have seen us or known that we were looking around? - I point the finger at Currthers the manservant.  

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:  
laitang wrote: My suspicions are that we were watched, they saw us find the book, and now they want it.
Who could have seen us or known that we were looking around? - I point the finger at Currthers the manservant.
I don't think that's the case, we were just 'warned off' - they already had a note (suggests that they don't speak English), so that implies the attack was in reaction to whatever we did before the trip to the Henslowe place. This probably also means that we can expect to be watched/followed from now on and our 'enemy' knows that LA is likely to be our next stop.  

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,3b) I asked about this. It was [b]Dr. Keaton[/b]'s idea to have [b]Job[/b] brought to Joy Grove to see if he'd have more success trying to treat them both together. He didn't.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:30 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:  
Mr. Handy wrote:3b) I asked about this. It was Dr. Keaton's idea to have Job brought to Joy Grove to see if he'd have more success trying to treat them both together. He didn't.
Also, Henslowe was willing to give us his notebook, but for some reason he felt the need to say we should "ask Frank Hickering". Why? He could have said "Go to my study. You'll find instructions inside a book named ...". Was he suspicious of Dr. Keaton? Or am I looking to much? Never liked that Keaton guy.  

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:48 pm
by RhinoRat
Cameron

Cam nods, smiles, and shakes each person's hand as they are introduced.

"Food sounds like a good plan to me. I left in kind of a hurry", he says before they head off to the diner.

After they are seated, the food arrives, and conversation turns to work related matters he nonchalantly scans the crowd as he eats so that he can gauge people's reaction to the various names that are mentioned. He almost gives the impression that he is not paying attention to the conversation until he says "I don't have any clue what the actual job is. All I was told was to come down and do my best to protect you. So maybe as we talk you could just give me a clue as to what special skill(s) got you added to the team, and then a general idea of what exactly we are trying to do. Like I said, I was sent here in a hurry and told I would be briefed later."
Then he continued devouring his food and scanning the crowd.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:16 pm
by Overlord87
During dinner, the group informs Cameron about their job and the status of their investigation. Various hypotheses are formulated on the attackers, but at the moment they all seems wild guesses.
RhinoRat,In case you haven't already,you can check The Diary thread and gather up all the relevant information. In case your character has some questions to ask the other, this is the moment.
Clarence,You befriend a couple of the guards watching over you and the wounded thug. When it becomes clear that they aren't going to press charges on you, they become much more open and gives you some information on the police investigation. You learn that the thug has recovered from the gunshot, but doesn't seem cooperative. Furthermore, he speaks only in a language they can't understand, and no interpreter has been found able of translating it. The police has brought in people knowing half a dozen languages from southeastern Asia, but with no result. The police has managed to track the thugs back to a motel just outside Savannah, the [b]Johnson Motel[/b], but the thugs were already disappeared. For the moment, you're still in hospital. Once the other characters are done with the current scene, I'll move things on and have you released. For the moment, wait a little more ;)

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well," says Holly, "I'm a psychoanalyst as well as a medical doctor. My skills proved very useful, especially at Joy Grove Sanitarium. What skills do you have, Cameron, aside from the art of pugilism?"

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:39 pm
by RhinoRat
Cameron

"Sadly, I don't have much more to offer in the skills department. Mostly causing and soaking up damage. But I have been known to apply a bandage or two."

"So these Asian fellows that attacked you, did they use Kung Fu? Or any kind of martial art as far as you could tell? I am just trying to determine the threat level and possibly who our adversaries might be. Kind of odd that they were Asian, isn't it?"

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that is odd," says Holly. "I wouldn't think Savannah would have a large Asian population. Los Angeles, on the other hand, does, but they'd never have gotten here from there quickly enough if this is in reaction to our investigation. I don't know if they were using martial arts or not. I tried to run away, and while I'm pretty fast, one of them was faster. I was too busy being battered to notice if he was using any special moves."

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:31 pm
by leonardolad
Ian

"Definitely odd. We had no contact with any other Asians here in Savannah. But if they were part of any kind of Asian mob, someone we met today has tipped them off, probably."
"I'm Ian, by the way. I'm a journalist with the Boston Post. I'm here for my investigative abilities and my contacts... I guess."
He says, looking unsure about it. "But well, I was born and raised in East Boston, so I can also throw a punch or two." He feels immediately embarrassed, imagining how flimsy he must look in the eyes of a guy who describes himself as a "meat shield".

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not always helpless myself," says Holly. "A madman attacked Mr. Fontana at the sanitarium, and I was the one who managed to stop him with a well-placed sedative injection."

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:25 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher rubs his bitten shoulder "That was both unnerving and painful, without the good Doctor's intervention I believe he would have tried to rip my throat out, three of us could barely hold him off... and then those damned unfriendly alligators.. then those thugs ambushed us, it's actually been quite dangerous on this investigation." he says after finishing his food.

"We have a few days till Clarence gets discharged from the hospital, I understand.." he looks at Holly for confirmation "So we need to decide whether to 'keep our heads down' or see if we can track down our attackers before we head back to Boston." he adds, trying to gauge how the others want to move forward.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"They tracked us down once already," says Holly. "They can do it again, whether we're here in Boston, in Los Angeles, or elsewhere. We have to find out who they are and why they're trying to stop us from investigating - and who, if anyone, sent them. Someone must have a lot to lose from our digging into this matter to go to these lengths. We do have some time before Clarence is discharged, and the police also told us not to leave for now, so we might as well look into the matter further. Fortunately, one of them was captured. If we can find out who he is, we may be able to identify his associates."

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:08 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Assume that you have one full day before Clarence is discharged. What would you like to do in that time?  

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:34 pm
by laitang
OOC:   Clarence waits for his wounds to heal.  

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:43 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Do we know yet what [b]Clarence[/b] discovered using Cop Talk? If not, the first thing we should do is visit him, and then we can find out about it.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:01 am
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   I also think that reuniting the group would be better. I'll wait until tomorrow if there's some alternative proposal, or something you want to do before Clarence gets discharged, otherwise I'll speed things up and you can move on from the lead found by Clarence.  

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:58 am
by RhinoRat
Cameron

Cameron listened to the conversation, making eye contact and nodding in the appropriate places while still scanning the crowd and watching exits. He looked at the team a few times in disbelief at the mention of hospitals, madmen, and alligators.

He finished chewing, wiped his mouth with his napkin, and asked "Was there any connection that could cause the hospital to be shut down, or bring them under any scrutiny? Anything unusual seem to be going on there? I am wondering whether it is being used as a front for dealing opiates or something like that."

He shook his head trying to take in the info he was being told.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"There was nothing that I could tell," says Holly. "It seemed like an ordinary mental hospital to me, and I'm familiar with them. Father Flanagan was disturbed by it, but that happens sometimes to people who aren't used to them."
OOC,Do we have to delay our investigation until [b]Clarence[/b] is discharged? Couldn't we follow the leads he gives us during that day?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:45 pm
by Overlord87
Cameron,You think you might be able to get information on the thugs and any drug deal involving the sanitarium staff if you ask the right people around town, and are willing to spend some money to oil the gears.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:29 am
by RhinoRat
Cameron

"I am a bit short on funds right now, but if I had some cash to spread around I might be able to find out how the thugs are connected to this mystery. Do we have any available funds? And would you all be able to stay put somewhere safe while I am out doing that?"

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure we can scrape something together if we pool our funds," says Holly. "I'm not poor, but I'm not exactly rich, either. How much do you need? I think we can find a place where we can lay low."

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 pm
by leonardolad
Ian

"You think it would be a problem if we just stay at the hotel? I think it's unlikely that we get attacked again. Even more if we stay inside." He says. "About the funds, we do have some money Ms. Winston-Rogers gave us."

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:49 pm
by Overlord87
You gather the money given to you before your departure from Boston by Foster, Mrs. Winston-Rogers's trusted man. All in all, you can easily gather a couple of hundred dollars, that is more than needed. Cameron gets to work in the streets, while the rest of group stays holed up in the hotel. It's not hard for an ex-criminal like him to locate the right people to talk to, and the informations gathered are quite interested. It turns out that Joy Grove had a couple of nurses and orderlies arrested for stealing at the hospital. "The place is not exactly a racket", you hear from a pusher after a couple of beers, "but some of the staff is crooked, for sure".
The group of asian thugs is not unknown on the streets, either. It seems there was some kind of agreement between the local crime lords and these foreigners, to allow them to operate in the city. When you inquire further on the meaning of the word "operate", things become more vague. They haven't been directly involved in any drug trafficking, nor any other criminal activity, but were present in the city for at least the last couple of years.

Gathering these informations require a couple of days to Cameron. On the third day, you meet with Clarence as he gets discharged from the hospital.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 pm
by laitang
Clarence arrives at the hotel. Still a bit sore and aching from his wounds. He lets the others know that he is in the bar, and orders a stiff drink.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:18 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher is pleased to see Clarence out of hospital and on the mend, all in all they've been lucky that nothing more serious had happened when the Asian thugs attacked them. He's happy to buy Clarence a stiff drink and salute his heroism.

"Do we stick to our plan to head back to Boston, 're-supply' and see if we can find someone to look at the letters that Henslowe sent to Winston or do we stick around here and track down those men that attacked us?" he asks once they're all caught up.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"If these fellows are local," says Holly, "they might not follow us, but there will be sure to be others like them in L.A. It might be advantageous to find them anyway, though. If they can be made to talk, we might find out more about who is behind them and why they're trying to stop our investigation."

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:04 pm
by carnage_lee
Cristopher Fontana

Christopher nods "Is there any advantage in us continuing to track down the attackers? We could work out a way to 'turn the table's' on anyone sent to interfere with us while we're in L.A., I, for one think we should move forward. Otherwise we could end up in Savannah for some time and lose any momentum in our investigation."

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:40 pm
by RhinoRat
Cameron

Cameron hesitates at how to phrase his thoughts...
"I don't know how well equipped this team is to 'hunt' the thugs down. And if they are operating under the protection, or at least acceptance, of local crime bosses I think we run even greater risk of stepping on toes. My two cents is we just continue the investigation, possibly in less expected directions first, and try to lay low. Then we keep a list of people we contact and if we get hit again we go lean on those people to see if they know anything."

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think confronting them directly would be a good idea," says Holly. "Even if we did defeat them, we'd get in trouble with the police, not just local criminals. We could tip off the police if we discover their location, though. But you're right, that would take time. The mystery has kept for thirteen years already, so the trail is unlikely to grow colder, especially with people actively trying to cover it up. If we head back to Boston, they may just think we've given up. But we need to be better prepared from here on out, and that means armed. Next time we get hit, the people doing it probably won't pull any punches. We've already been warned."

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm
by laitang
"Thanks Christopher!", said Clarence and started to nurse the drink, the warmth trickling down his throat. He thought about their situation. "Those thugs are well armed, are well informed and can make that strange sound. Guns we could buy, but not that sound they can make. Chasing after those thugs will only slow us down and put us in greater danger. By all means, lets arm ourselves, but move on with deciphering the clues."

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:44 pm
by Overlord87
After discussing for a while, you agree that getting back to Boston to reorganize is the best course of action. The following morning you head to the airport and leave Savannah, thankfully without any further incident. Later that day, you arrive in Boston.
OOC:   OK, I'd like to move on quickly to Los Angeles. Perhaps we'll just play a short scene with Janet, and handle the rest as OOC. Just tell me what kind of preparations you want to make, and anything you want to investigate in Boston.

- All your investigative and general abilities pool are refreshed.
- To refresh your Stability, you must spend some time with a Source of Stability. Describe a little scene of ordinary life with a Source of Stability of your choice. Use it to flash out your character and the Source of Stability him/herself. Anything will work fine, from going shopping to watching a football game, from going to the theatre to discussing the case you're working on. Send the scene as a private message to me once it's done ;)
Mr.Handy,Use this nightmare as lead-in to the scene. You have it the night before meeting your Source of Stability. You're trudging through the Georgia swamp behind [your source of stability] when the ground opens up beneath [him or her], the water rushing into a hole in the ground, lined with yellow, human teeth - dozens and dozens of teeth. For a moment, your friend is falling feetfirst into the hole, but then the mouth snaps shut, chewing [him or her] in half in three terrible bites. [He or she] screams, blood spraying from [his or her] mouth. The swamp-water-filled mouth gurgles out a scream. You snap out of sleep with a start, all but screaming yourself.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I had wanted to have a group therapy session to use my Psychoanalysis skill to restore people's Stability, which we could do either while laying low or on the return flight to Boston. I'm not sure how much Stability each of us has lost, but I may have enough Psychoanalysis to cover most if not all of that. Also, did we refresh our Health as well? I have very little time during the week, so I may need to wait until the weekend to write up the scene. I'm still weeks overdue to create two characters for new games that I wasn't able to get around to due to being on vacation and catching up on things after getting back.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:58 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   Sure, no need to hurry.

Also, each of your investigators (excluding Cameron) gain 1 investigative ability and 2 general ability build point.

You all refresh your lost health points.

You also get to conpletely refresh your Stability by spending time with your Sources of Stability, so no need for Psychoanalysis - for the moment. You'll have plenty of chances when things get serious :twisted:  

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll put my investigative point into Art, and I'll put my two general points into Firearms. If I'm going to get one, I should learn how to use it. Also, one thing we wanted to do in Boston is find someone to crack the code in the letters. We don't know yet that [b]Cameron[/b] has a point of Cryptography, but it will probably come up when we discuss the letters, in which case he could have a look at them.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm
by carnage_lee
Overlord87 wrote:

Also, each of your investigators (excluding Cameron) gain 1 investigative ability and 2 general ability build point.

You also get to conpletely refresh your Stability by spending time with your Sources of Stability, so no need for Psychoanalysis - for the moment. You'll have plenty of chances when things get serious :twisted:  
Can these be in 'new' skills?

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:06 pm
by Overlord87
carnage_lee wrote:
Overlord87 wrote:

Can these be in 'new' skills?
OOC:   Yes.  

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm still busy, so I'll need some more time before I write my scene.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   CanI please take:

Interrogation 1
First Aid 2

for Christopher?

===
In Boston

Christopher will spend more time researching the 'Death Cults' book and set his secretary into the 'files' to get any 'phenomenon' information regarding LA at the time of the events at the farm and since then.

He'll pack his regular 'paranormal investigation kit*' including photographic equipment plus a pistol and ammo - a FN Browning High Power 9mm semi-automatic (if possible) and clothes.

*Torch/Flashlight + spare batteries, note pads, pencils, pen-knife (swiss army style), talcum powder, chalk, artists charcoal, a small 'grater' the type you get in a puncture repair kit, measuring tape, a variety of stoppered vials and 'test-tubes', small selection of brushes, thermometers, spools of thread and cotton, extendible probe (like a car aerial), a mirror that can be attached (threaded) onto the probe.

I'm kind of thinking here that the full kit comes in two suitcases or a small trunk with a small valise/brief-case that contains a 'light' investigation kit.