[IC - SAVANNAH] An Interview with Edgar Job

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - SAVANNAH] An Interview with Edgar Job

Post by Overlord87 »

Dr. Keaton smiles at Ian: "No offense taken, I know this is not exactly an amusement park. I don't know what got into Mr. Culver's head, earlier. He has an history of violence, yes, but he has been stable for more than one year now. I'll have to check his medicines, I guess.", he brings a finger to his mouth, then nods. "Well, anyway, let's proceed with the interview. But first, let's do somethin' to at least cover up the blood. Here, take this.", he hands Christopher a white coat. "Stay close to me and don't wander around. I wouldn't want any of the staff, or the patients, to take you for a real doctor".

Dr. Keaton leads you to the same interview room that was used before, where another man is waiting for you. He is skinny, with stubble all over his face and scalp, almost looks like a prisoner of war. He watches you with uninterested blue eyes as you enter into the room. "Hello Edgar, these people are lookin' into the old incident at the farm, and would like to ask you some questions. Would you like to help them?"

His answer is half-bored, half-annoyed, accompanied by a melodramatic sigh. "If I must." He shrugs. "Can I smoke?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't mind, Mr. Job," says Holly, "though I can only speak for myself. I'm Dr. Holly Chastain."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher was content to sit well away from the patient and take notes, mostly due to his earlier experience and partly as Dr. Chastain and Fr. Flannagan were best places to ask questions based upon their earlier 'interview'.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence lights a Rothmans then offers it to Edgar, "Mr Job? Pleased to meet you. My name is Clarence. I wonder if you you would be so kind as to tell us what you recall of that fatefull night, all those years ago?". He stands a few feet away from Edgar.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Edgar inhales the smoke with satisfaction. Then he looks to Dr. Keaton, a little nervously. "Dr. Keaton doesn't want me to relive those days or, uh, to, uh... externalize my fears. He doesn't like me talking about monsters unless they're me."

Dr. Keaton smiles encouragingly. "It's okay, Edgar. You can answer. But remember to keep a clear focus on what is reality, and what is just your imagination".

Edgar nods and continues. "Yes. Well, that night. There was an important meeting, for us. All the big shots were there. Echavarria himself, obviously. Savitree. That rotten bastard of Brooks. There was this... ceremony... to perform. It would have changed everything. Then those people came... Henslowe's friends. They caught us by surprise. There was fire, and guns. We fought back. It was a massacre. You can't possibly imagine..." He sighs, like there's an uncrossable gap between him and you.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

"Please Mr Job, do carry on", urges Clarence.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Holly nods in agreement. "Take your time, Mr. Job," she says. "Please keep in mind that we're not as familiar with these events or the people involved as you are. You're right that I can't imagine what it was like, as I was not there, but I would like to try to understand. It will help you as well as us for you to get it off your chest."
OOC,Using Reassurance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian sits, takes his pen and notebook and starts making annotations about what Edgar Job is talking. He feels that, having interviewed Henslowe, right now Dr. Chastain is in a better position to conduct this one. If needed be, He'll intervene later on.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher makes notes, opting to spell 'Echavarria' phonetically, Job's remark about the ceremony sounds interesting, something that ought to be followed up upon... might go some way to give them an insight as to the motivation of Job's group. He waited to see how Job would respond to the prompt to 'carry on'.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Yeah, well... I still have nightmares about that night. I killed a man that night. The one that blew Echavarria away with his shotgun. I grabbed his knife... Echavarria's knife... big, ugly thing, but deadly sharp... I stabbed the man. To get away. I was sure he was going to kill me, too. So I killed him first." He looks agitated now, breathing quickly.

Dr. Keaton intervenes: "It's all right, Edgar. Calm down, take a deep breath".

Edgar nods, then continues: "I see his face every night. The poor bastard, was only doing the right thing. We were all crazed those days. Me and the others. And Echavarria was the craziest one of us all. It was probably for the best they stopped us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I think you're right," says Holly, changing the subject for now both to calm him down and to find out the answers to her other questions. "Let's go back to the beginning. How did you come to join this group originally, and how long were you a member? What can you tell us about Echavarria, and about the other members?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"I met Echavarria around the time I was at UCLA. George introduced us, I think. George Ayers? Avery? I swear, I can hear his voice, why can't I remember his name? It's all so hazy...", he looks frustrated. Dr. Keaton intervenes briefly: "It's all right if you can't remember, Edgar. That's part of the past. Let's go back to Echavarria, and the rest of the group... or cult, I should probably say."

Edgar sighs, then nods. "Yeah, Echavarria. I wonder if that was his real name. Had one hell of a library. Strange books, creepy books. He showed them to me. I was always around him, those days... He was interested in my university studies... never truly understood why. Strange guy. But man, he knew how to party. There was a party almost every day. Sex. Drugs. I was practically high from 1923 through august of 1924. So my memory is not good. But I remember the drugs. Potent stuff. And the things he made us do and say. Ah, those were good days", he has a dreamy expression now, but he snaps back to reality as soon as his gaze falls on Dr. Keaton. "Until it all went to shit, anyway."
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"Excuse me, Mr. Job. My name is Ian Morin." Ian steps in, trying to maintain their interviewee's focus. "This is really interesting. You are being extremely helpful. But tell me...What was your study about? And what were you and your cult trying to achieve until, in your words, 'it all went to shit'? It wasn't just sex and drugs, was it? And the other group members, who were they? We heard that there were some big shots, like Olivia Clarendon."
OOC,using Oral History
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Dr. Keaton signals Ian to stop: "Slow down, Mr. Morin. Not too many questions at once. Edgar, take your time, and answer the questions you feel you can answer".

Edgar looks a little confused. He pauses for a few seconds, then starts talking: "Math... I studied math. I was very good. Too good, actually. Even my professors envied my talent. The bastards, they would never admit that I was better than they were." Anger surfaces on his expression. "Echavarria was different. He understood me." He smiles. "It was all good, in the beginning, you see. Yeah, we were perhaps a little too wild, but everyone was having a great time. Then things changed. Echavarria, he changed. He started talking about power. He promised us power. He promised me power. I didn't really care in the beginning, you see, but then I thought about those bastards at the university, I asked Echavarria if I would have my revenge, and he said yes. He said we would all get whatever we desired, when Gol-Goroth was here. We called him the Fisher from outside, for some reason. But that... that wasn't what I wanted." He looks anguished now.

Dr. Keaton puts one hand on his shoulder. "It's all right, Edgar. It's all in the past. And there is nothing mystical, or supernatural, about what happened, remember? Just the lies of a man that didn't want to lose his position as head of the cult".

Edgar nods, almost in tears. "Yes, I know, I know..." He rubs his eyes, then says: "Can I have another cigarette?"
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"Yes, yes... I'm sorry. I understand completely, Dr. Keaton." Ian answers, not sincerely, but more as a reflex of his experience on interviewing people that become squeamish when pushed a little too hard. He takes his cigarettes from his jacket pocket. "Please, Mr. Job, take one of mine."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did you know Olivia Clarendon well?" asks Holly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher studies the man, his manner, taking into account the circumstances and tries to assess the honesty of his answers.
OOC:   Assess Honesty: 2

Trying to get an 'overall' indication.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Olivia Clarendon... the movie star? How would I know her? I've been locked up in here for ten years!", he opens up his arms.

Spoiler:
OOC:   He seems to be genuinely puzzled by the question, and answering with the truth.

Note that Assess Honesty is an investigative ability, so there's no need to roll. Every use is an automatic success. Only general abilities are rolled.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I had heard that she had been part of the cult," says Holly. "Perhaps my information isn't accurate, or perhaps she went by a different name or didn't go to the same meetings you did. What can you remember about the other members of the cult? In addition to Echavarria, you mentioned Savitree, Brooks, and George Avery or Ayers. What can you tell us about them, and do you know the first names of the ones whose surnames you mentioned? What about the women in the cult?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Edgar looks stupefied: "You mean that maybe I fucked Olivia Clarendon and I don't ev-".

"Edgar! Watch your mouth! There's a lady in the room! Do you want me to sent you back to your room... and no cigarettes for one month?"

"Uh, no, sorry doc. Whew. What were we saying? Ah, right. The others. Savitree Sirikhan. She was one crazy bit-, ehm, woman. Always cutting herself and her partners. Vicious. Violent. Strong-willed. I always thought if one was going to challenge Echavarria for the crown, it was gonna be her. And Brooks. Jonathan Brooks. Little snake. Was always jealous of me, because I was Echavarria's favorite. He sold me to the police, I'm sure. He was the one that sold me. Hope he rots in hell."

"It's all in the past, Edgar. Move on. Forgive and forget."

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”