Page 1 of 1

[IC - SAVANNAH] Joy Grove Sanitarium (Holly,Father Flanagan)

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:53 am
by Overlord87
In the morning, after a good breakfast, you separate from the others and head towards the Sanitarium. You leave the historic district and climb a little hill, and after less than ten minutes you reach your destination. Joy Grove Sanitarium is a massive red-brick Victorian building with tall, narrow windows and Gothic details. Kudzu grows over half the building, choking out windows and holding the place like a green fist, pulling it down to earth.

The front office is empty except for a nurse, that greets you as soon as you enter. She's in her early thirties, long black hair, big brown eyes, small nose and big mouth. Cute, but not adorable.

"Good mornin'. How can I help y'all?", she says, smiling a lopsided smile.

Re: [IC - SAVANNAH] Joy Grove Sanitarium (Holly,Father Flana

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:58 am
by TheLibrarian
"Good morning, ma'am," says Father Flanagan, affecting his best 'kindly old priest' smile. "We called ahead yesterday and arranged to meet with Dr. Keaton? Regarding Douglas Henslowe. Is Dr. Keaton in?"

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Dr. Holly Chastain, from Boston," says Holly iwth a smile of her own, " and this is Father Flanagan."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:42 am
by Overlord87
"Yes, yes, let me call him. Wait heeyur please." The nurse disappears in an adjacent room, then returns a few seconds later with a man wearing a white coat. He seems to be in his mid-forties, slender, bookish, with salt-and-pepper hair. His southern accent is much less noticeable.

"Good mornin', good mornin', I'm Jonathan Keaton, I'm the doctor who's followin' Mr. Henslowe. I'm really happy to have you here, Mr. Henslowe has not received any visit since he was first hospitalized, in 1924. Well, excludin' his mother, I mean any visit from someone that is not family. I only know one person from his past, Edgar Job, another survivor of the incident with Henslowe in 1924... he is also a resident here." He puts a finger to his mouth for a second. "So, you want to meet with Mr. Henslowe. Piece of cake. I think it might even help him. Can I ask how do you know him? If he asks about you, before accepting the visit, what should I tell him?"

Spoiler:
OOC:   Let's start introducing drives. Holly's drive pushes her towards inquiring about this Edgar Job and asking if there's the possibility of meeting him,too.  

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you, Dr. Keaton," says Holly, shaking his hand. "It's a shame that Mr. Henslowe hasn't had visitors other than his family for all these years, and I hope that we can be of help to him. We'd also like to visit Edgar Job if we can. We've been able to find out very little about the incident in August 1924 so far, so anything you could tell us about it before we speak to them would be helpful. We've never met Mr. Henslowe personally before. There's a limit to what we can tell you due to confidentiality, as I'm sure you understand, but I'm sure I can count on your discretion. We are friends of the family of his longtime friend, the late Walter Winston, and we are here on their behalf."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:28 pm
by Overlord87

"Mr. Winston, yes... Mr. Henslowe sent many letters to him. I'm glad to see he finally got some kind of answer. He'll be delighted to see you, I'm sure. I wasn't aware that Mr. Winston had died, and perhaps that is better kept secret to Mr. Henslowe. I wouldn't want to upset him". Dr. Keaton puts a finger to his mouth, pausing for a few seconds. "Mr. Henslowe and Mr. Job were involved in a great incident happened in Los Angeles, back in 1924. I don't know all the details, but there was a big fight, involving gunfight and explosives. Mr. Henslowe was hunting a group of criminals. Perhaps one could say it was a group of criminals that has evolved into a sort of cult. There were rituals involved in their activities, you see. Cult of personality, as well. Edgar Job was part of this cult. Brainwashed, as probably many others who died in the incident. Anyway, I can set up a short meeting with both. Not together, obviously. They tend to get... violent, when put together in the same room. Understandable, considering their shared past. He heads towards the nurse and exchanges a few quick words. Then he gets back to you. "There will be a little to wait as we make the necessary preparations. Why don't I show you around Joy Grove in the meantime?"

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Doctor," says Holly. "I'd be delighted. It's always good when visiting a different institution to see how things are done. I can always learn something new that will help me in my own practice. Have you been at Joy Grove for a long time?"

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:39 am
by TheLibrarian
"So at least two men involved with the Los Angeles incident have ended up here at Joy Grove. Are they the only ones here? Do you know of anyone else who was involved with the incident? We would like to get the clearest possible picture of what happened, and the more people we can ask about it the better, you see.", Father Flanagan says.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 am
by Overlord87

"This way, please." He walks you around the ground floor first, where the offices and the areas dedicated to the staff are located. "I've been here since 1921, Dr. Chastain. Mr. Henslowe was one of the first patients I followed at the end of my training period, and he immediately got my attention. A very complex story. The most interestin' thing, from a medical point of view, it's his shared psychosis with Mr. Job. Somethin' quite rare. That's why i had Mr. Job brought here from California... to treat them both here. This is a break room for the staff, and there's the kitchen." He points towards a couple of rooms as you pass. Like the building, the furniture is clearly of good quality, but hasn't aged particularly well. You approach a locked gate, leading to the back section of the ground floor. "I don't know of any other survivor from that incident. The police hasn't arrested any, as far as my knowledge goes. Beyond the gate there is the area where the patients live. Before entering there, I have to ask you to sign these waivers. In case the patients, you know, act out. " He hands each of you a short document, densely written, of three pages.

Spoiler:
Holly recognizes these are standard waivers for this kind of institution.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:34 pm
by TheLibrarian
Father Flanagan signs the waiver presented to him. "Are they likely to act out? Have they shown violent tendencies in the past?"

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:40 pm
by Overlord87

"The more... risky patients are sedated, the others are tranquil. Incidents don't happen often, but of course there is always a risk. Mr. Henslowe and Mr. Job should be fine, though. In all these years I've seen only one outburst of violence from them, it was when we tried a common session with both of them in the same room. Let's just say it did not go well. We had to separate them, and we've never tried that again."

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've actually studied folie à deux extensively," says Holly, signing the waiver after a glance to verify that it was standard boilerplate. "It was the topic of my dissertation, in fact. This case is even more interesting than I had thought at first. What about Mrs. Virginia Henslowe? Does she visit her husband often? Have you had occasion to speak to her about his treatment?"

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 am
by Overlord87

Dr. Keaton chuckles: "Mrs. Henslowe is Mr. Henslowe's mother, not his wife. She used to come every week, but now she's getting old and I haven't seen her in the last couple of months." You pass through the gates and continue the visit of Joy Grove. The back half of the ground floor consists of a cafeteria, common rooms, a game room, the dispensary, two interview rooms, and exam rooms, all separated from the front of the building by locked and barred gates. You count more than a dozen patients here, someone playing, the rest waiting calmly in the common room, a few half-asleep from the effect of medications. A couple of them is waggling fingers at each other. Considering it's a sanatorium, things seem to be running smoothly. Dr. Keaton speaks enthusiastically as you walk around, pointing things here and there.
The building itself is well-past his prime. The fine tile work in the corridors is undermined by years of water damage and patient abuse. Elaborate skylights are filled by years of grime and soot. As Holly knows well, changing medical practices in the last few decades have forced many hospitals to renovate and retrofit themselves, while at the same time there has been a sensible reduction of grants and donations.
"These are the new exam rooms, recently renovated." He briefly shows you inside, a white ambient with soft padded walls. "Nice, eh? It's hard to keep this place going, with the limited resources we have, but we do our best. Let me show you briefly the second floor, then I'll check if Mr. Henslowe is ready for the interview". He leads you to the stairs leading up. "Where do you practice in Boston, Dr. Chastain?"

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly blushes at her erroneous assumption. Freud would have a field day with that one! she thinks. "Primarily at Metropolitan State Hospital," she answers. "It's very modern, just opened seven years ago. It's actually in Waltham, a short drive from Boston. It looks like you've done a good job with what you have. I understand that Mr. Henslowe wasn't committed here for the entire time since 1924. What were the circumstances of his release and readmittance?"

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:35 am
by Overlord87

"Well, he was getting better, so we decided to discharge him. It was in 1932. He was out for 2 years, but... he got worse. He became obsessive and violent towards himself and others." Dr. Keaton says as you climb the stairs to the second floor. "Now he isn't allowed out of Joy Grove by court order. He could be signed out on temporary leave only into the custody of his mother, but old as she is, I doubt that's gonna happen." He sighs. "Frankly speaking, Dr. Chastain, I doubt these two patients, Mr. Henslowe and Mr. Job, will ever recover completely. They're getting better, but they will never be right again"-

While Dr. Keaton and Holly discuss the medical situation of the patients, Father Flanagan follows them, listening to the conversation and observing the sanatorium with interest - it's not very often that you get to visit a place like this. They are now passing through a corridor on the first floor. There are mostly private rooms in this area, tiny rooms with a small glass window to look inside. His attention wanders around the area, and he notices a particularly nasty bit of water damage, near the ceiling. And while she's looking at it, a portion of the damaged wall splits into a mouth. It's a human sized mouth, with yellowish lips and brown, broken teeth. The lips are moving, as if speaking, but no word can be heard.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Father Flanagan needs to make a Stability check. Since this is the first time, I'll briefly remember how it works. You need to roll 1d6 against a difficulty of 4 (or 5 for Mythos-related shocks). If you fail, you will lose a certain number of Stability points from your pool. You can spend points from your Stability pool to get a bonus to your rolls, like any General ability (1 point for +1, 2 points for +2, and so on). Note that these points will be effectively removed from your Stability reserve, regardless of the success or failure of the test. If you fail the test after having spent points to boost your roll, you'll lose both the fixed value for the Stability shock and the points you spent to increase the chances of passing the test. While it is theoretically possible to pass all Stability checks by investing enough points to boost the tests, the points used to boost the tests will always be removed from the pool, meaning that you will go down anyway. The trick is estimating the possible loss you're facing and evaluate if it could be convenient or not to boost the roll (for example, against an estimated loss of 7 points, it could be advisable to invest some points to pass the test; much less so against an estimated loss of 3 points). Refer to the quickstart rules for a table of possible stability losses and for the complete rules.

Remember that the stability rating is fixed (it can change only in extreme situations), it's the temporary pool that gets updated during the adventure (and is refreshed during pauses between one adventure and the following).

You can either write a post describing the actions/reactions of your character and write the test result there as an OOC, or send me the test result via private message. In either case, if you fail the test, I'll communicate you the relative stability loss.  

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:15 pm
by TheLibrarian
Father Flanagan steps back abruptly, clutching for the crucifix which habitually hangs from his neck. Without even thinking, he begins to speak softly but firmly, a favourite Bible passage that many of the men in his care during the war found comforting. "'When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust. I will not be afraid.'" Father Flanagan shuts his eyes against the vision, hoping that when he opens them it will be gone.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Here is my roll: http://orokos.com/roll/357358
Also, orokos is pretty simple. Good recommendation.  

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:50 pm
by Overlord87
When Father Flanagan reopens the eyes, the mouth has disappeared. Did it simply close? Was it just an hallucination? He doesn't know.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Obviously, no stability lost here, since you rolled 6.

If Holly turns around to check on Father Flanagan, she sees no mouth.  

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly glances back. "Are you all right, Father?" she asks with concern.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:40 am
by TheLibrarian
Father Flanagan tears his eyes from the spot of water damage to meet Holly's concerned gaze. "I'm... I'm fine, thank you. I must not have slept well last night. Is there a problem with the pipes, Dr. Keaton? There's a spot of water damage up there," Father Flanagan says, pointing, "I would have someone take a look at it."

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 am
by Overlord87

Keaton seems a little embarassed: "Well, yes, unfortunately we tend to have some problems with water losses. The water system is quite old and sometimes we have troubles. I'll have someone look into that." He pauses for a second. "I think Mr. Henslowe should be ready for the interview by now. Let me go and check, then we'll move back downstairs. Wait for me here, it'll take just a minute". He walks away and disappears into another corridor.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:20 pm
by TheLibrarian
"I don't think I like it here. Something about this place feels off." Father Flanagan shuffles his feet and looks around, his gaze lingering on any visible water damage spots. "I don't suppose you know anything about cults?"

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sometimes mental institutions can get to you," says Holly. "I guess I'm just used to them. All of my knowledge of cults is purely theoretical. I haven't actually had a patient who has been part of one. Cults often have a charismatic, manipulative leader who is the brains of the operation. Potential members are drawn by promises of various things: eternal life, esoteric knowledge, power, and wealth. Of course, the wealth usually comes from the deceived cultists and goes straight to the leader, with his inner circle perhaps getting a smaller share. People join cults for different reasons, too. It's often out of a desire to belong to something bigger than themselves. A lot of the time, they feel inadequate and think joining will better them. For a good example of what happens when a cult takes over an entire country, look at Nazi Germany." She tactfully refrains from mentioning the cult-like qualities of the Catholic Church. Either he will put the pieces together on his own, or there will be no convincing him, she thinks.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:46 am
by TheLibrarian
Any subtext to Holly's description of cults goes right past Father Flanagan. "They sound sinister. Although I suppose I can kind of understand it. There are plenty of people who prey on other people's physical weaknesses, so of course there'd be people preying on people's emotional and spiritual weaknesses. It's like the dark mirror of the church, in a way. I know the majority of my congregation turns up every Sunday out of obligation or guilt, rather than actually wanting to be there." Father Flanagan pauses for a moment.
"But from the sound of it, this group was being asked by their leaders to do some bad things. I wonder what a person would have to be offered..."

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's about the size of it," says Holly. "Whatever they promised, it's a good bet they don't deliver on it, except possibly to the people at the top."

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 am
by Overlord87
Dr. Keaton returns, smiling: "Well, all set. Follow me". He heads downstairs and leads you into an interview room. it's a simple, cold space with three chairs, a table, and a barred window looking out into the hallway. The ambient vaguely smells of chlorine. There is a man sitting there, past his fifties, out of shape and starting to lose his hair. He's clean-shaven and sits with a good posture. He looks very tired. "Douglas, these people are Dr. Chastain and Father Flanagan. They are friends of your old friend, Walter Winston."

Douglas stands up and shakes your hands. "Hello, nice to meet y'all. How's my friend Walter?", a weak but warm smile lightens up his face.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12 pm
by TheLibrarian
"Pleasure to meet you at last, Mr. Henslowe," says Father Flanagan, shaking Henslowe's hand firmly. Father Flanagan casts a sideways glance at Holly, and waits for her to take the lead. The last thing we need is for me to immediately say the wrong thing and have him close off, he thinks.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Henslowe," says Holly, smiling back. "Walter is about as well as could be expected, considering what you've both been through. Are you okay with talking about that?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:15 am
by Overlord87
Dr. Keaton signals you to sit down while he stands near one of the walls, a couple of meter from the table. He has taken out a notebook and a pen.

Douglas says to you: "Am I okay? Ah. I've been waitin' for this moment for years. But not so fast, young lady. I have a couple of questions myself, if you don't mind. Why didn't Walter come himself? Why are you gettin' involved with what happened back then?"

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Walter isn't talking about what happened," says Holly after she takes a seat. She takes out her own notebook and a pencil and prepares to take notes on Douglas's statement. "I don't believe he even wants to think about it any more. That may be why he never answered your letters. But his daughter Janet is very concerned, and I'd like to help her come to terms with everything. It changed her father completely, and he was never the same as he was before."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:38 pm
by Overlord87

"Janet...", his eyes fix on a point on a wall, losing focus for a couple of seconds. "I remember Janet... she should be, what, 33, 34 now? Time passes so quickly." Douglas stays silent for a couple of seconds more, then looks directly at Holly and says. "Well, let's start from the beginnin', right? I remember those first few months of 1924. We were travelin' the country, hot on the trail of the cult that started all of this. We questioned people, gathered evidence, took pictures, traveled all over. We were like detectives, armed with our secret knowledge in... the occult. It was... an excitin' time. He smiles a little. "The trail finally led us to Los Angeles. That's where the bulk of our investigation took place. That's where everythin' happened, on that cursed summer".

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:54 pm
by TheLibrarian
"You were investigating a cult?" Father Flanagan leans forward, his face the picture of intrigue. "In an official capacity? What was the basis of this cult?"

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:41 pm
by Overlord87

Douglas laughs: "Official capacity? Are you crazy?", this last question sounds especially ironic, considering the situation, but Douglas doesn't seem to realize that. "If only you had seen what I've seen...". He covers his face with his hands for a couple of seconds, then keeps talking. "They had a large drug business going, but that was just for the money. Money they used to fund their real operation: the summoning. Walter and F.C. did the research. They figured out that the cult was already in contact with that dreadful thing, The Thing with a Thousand Mouths, and were planning to summon it, or an incarnation of it, in that barn outside Los Angeles".

Dr. Keaton is taking notes, but looks mildly bored - like he has already heard this tale several times. "We have already talked about this, right, Douglas? There is no such thing as a 'summoning'. And no Thing... Thing with a Thousand Mouths...". Douglas just snorts.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, the cult certainly believed in such a thing," says Holly, jotting things down, "and that belief must have guided their actions. I'm sure you've heard this all before, Dr. Keaton, but this is completely new to us. I would like to hear the full story." She returns her attention to Douglas. "Mr. Henslowe, please continue. And who is F.C.? I'm not familiar with that name."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 am
by Overlord87

"F.C. Kullman, was Walter's expert in the occult. Apparently he was known far and wide for his expertise, back in the day. Walter had to pay him quite a bit to come with us out to Los Angeles, as I recall. A bit of a stick in the mud, that fellow, but bright as can be. Stuck in a wheelchair, too, but with a can-do attitude" Douglas pauses for a second, then adds. "We were five: Walter, me, F.C., Vince and Katherine."

Spoiler:
OOC:   Father Flanagan can perform a 1-point spend in Occult regarding F.C. Kullman.  

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 am
by TheLibrarian
Father Flanagan recognises the name "F.C. Kullman". "F.C.? As in Frankln Corman Kullman? I've read some of his work. He was an expert on occult theories. This group must have been serious for him to get involved."

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who are Vince and Katherine?" asks Holly.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:28 am
by Overlord87

"Serious, Father? We were tryin to save the world. It dudden get any more serious than that." Douglas then turns towards Holly. "Vince... Vincent Stack. Tough fellow. Walter called him a "fixer". Good with a gun, good with his hands. Always ready with a drink. He's the one that waded right in theeyur, that night, and brought hell to some of those cultists with his shotgun. And Katherine... poor little Katherine... she was our cameraman and archivist. She wanted to uncover the truth, hated the idea that a cult like that could operate in secret. Brave girl. She took photographs for us. And she's the one who caught wind of what was happenin' that night in '24. She died that night." His voice breaks a little here. "Poor Katherine... she was so young..."

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly feels a twinge of sorrow for the death of this young woman she has never met. "I'm sorry," she says in a comforting tone. "What was Katherine's last name, and how did she find out about what was happening?"

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:23 am
by Overlord87

Douglas is now looking to a point in midair, his gaze lost in the past: "Katherine... Katherine Clark... she was surveillin' Echavarria's house... Echavarria was the cult leader, you see... and she saw movement, got suspicious. We rushed out to the bah-an as soon as we got word that so many of the cultists were meetin' up theeyur. Walter said that the sta-ws were right that night, too. Whatever that means. So we rushed out theeyur with guns and homemade bombs to put a stop to it." His breathing is a little ragged now. "And a lot of people died that night..."

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's come back to that later," says Holly, hoping to calm him down by changing the subject to one less traumatic - and one about which she wants to know more. "How did you first find out about Echavarria and the cult, and how did the five of you get together?"

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:18 am
by Overlord87

"They had a drug business goin'. A new drug, something I had never seen or heh-ad before. Walter was startin' his pharmaceutical business back then, I think he had some reasons to investigate that drug and was... disturbed by what he found. That's how it stah-ated. Everyone of us had his reasons. For F.C., it was the money, for Vince, revenge, for Katherine, her sense of justice... for me, well, let's just say I owed to Walter, from when we were young. So we came together, and traced back the drugs to the cult, in Los Angeles. It was disguisin' itself as a sex-club, but we discovered a fa-aw more terrible truth. They worshiped dark gods and practiced black magic. And were plannin' to summon that... monster".

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"In your letters to Walter, you mentioned a journal you kept about your investigations," says Holly. "Where is this journal? I think it would be of great help."

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:44 am
by Overlord87

Douglas focuses his gaze on Holly with renewed intensity. He grasps her wrist with one hand, holding it strongly, but not hurting her - just enough strength to keep her where she is. "We failed, young lady. That night, we failed. The Thing appeared in this world... and for all I know, it's still out theeyur. I hid that notebook away with a secret key, it'll make y'all understand what was goin' on... and what is still goin' on. But it's a dangerous path you're puttin' yourself in... you must be sure you want to know."
Dr. Keaton seems a little worried when he sees Douglas grabbing Holly's wrist: "Douglas? I think you're making our guest uncomfortable...", he seems uncertain whether to intervene or not.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's all right, Dr. Keaton," says Holly. She locks eyes with Douglas and holds his wrist with her own hand while he holds hers. "Yes, I'm sure I want to know." She could not resist wanting to unravel the mystery even if she had wanted.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:15 am
by Overlord87

Douglas keeps his gaze locked with Holly for a couple of seconds, then smiles and relaxes. "If you want to find my notebook, you need to ask Frank Hickering, back at my estate. Old Hope Road, 23. Take this note and give it to the groundskeeper, he'll let you look around." He writes a few lines on a piece of paper and hands it to you.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Holly, accepting the note. "There was something else about the letters you wrote to Walter. The first few had certain letters circled, lines connecting them, and numbers written on them. I guessed it was some sort of code between the two of you. Could you please tell me how to decode it? I made some notes of these markings." She takes out her transcriptions of the presumed code and shows them to Douglas.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:59 pm
by Overlord87

Douglas seems genuinely surprised: "A code? What are you tawkin' about?" He picks up your notes and looks at them for half a minute, then adds: "I have no idea what this is. I mean, those are from my letters, but I put no hidden message in them. I don't know what Walter was lookin' for, but there was nothin' to find."

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose Walter must have written these on the letters for some other reason, then," says Holly. "Would you like to tell us what happened that night in 1924?"

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:28 pm
by Overlord87

"That night... we rushed in, midway through their ritual. We had handmade firebombs and guns, Vince provided most of them. As expected, they didn't give up without a fight. There was a terrific fire, and a shootout. Then that Thing appeared, and it started tearin' them apart. I don't know what those bastards expected, but I guess it waden being torn to pieces. They were runnin'... and screamin'. Some jumped into the fire, others into our line of fire. It was a carnage. I know I killed some people that night. I..." Douglas pauses for a few seconds, then continues. "Then the Thing came for us and I saw Walter panic... I'd never seen him panic... and then all I know is that I was boltin' through the high grasses with the fire behind me. Like a coward. Like a damned coward", he hides his face with his hands and stops talking.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:34 am
by TheLibrarian
"I don't think anyone would blame you or think less of you for running, Mr. Henslowe, especially after you'd already done so much," Father Flanagan says reassuringly. "I don't think I could name any man, myself included, who would have stayed to face... what exactly is the Thing, Mr. Henslowe? A demon? A monster?"

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Holly nods, placing a comforting hand on Henslowe's shoulder. "I would have run too, had I seen what you had," she says. "Don't think yourself any less of a man, Mr. Henslowe. I've observed similar reactions from men who had served in the Great War. They had been courageous simply to serve, every one of them, just as you showed great courage just to confront what was happening in the first place."

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:34 pm
by Overlord87

"Thank you...", Douglas smiles a weak smile. "It was the cult's fault. They were depraved. Fornicatin' in the name of their wicked god. Hurtin' each other for sport. It was horrible... that Thing. A huge body of flesh, with strange limbs, and mouths. It was full of mouths. Good Lord, I don't even want to think about it anymore", he crosses himself.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're quite welcome," says Holly. "Perhaps we'd better talk about something else, then. There was a member of the cult who survived, a Mr. Edgar Job. What do you know about him?" Though she's sure his opinion will be biased, she can use whatever information she can get before she talks to him, and she can use her own judgment to determine what the truth is about him.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:23 pm
by Overlord87

"Job... that bastard", Douglas clenches his fists, a dangerous light in his eyes. "He killed Vince... stabbed him... rottin' son a bitch...".

Dr. Keaton intervenes. "Calm down, Douglas, no need to get upset. That's all in the past, isn't it? You need to look ahead. Take a deep breath and relax". He then turns towards Holly and Father Flanagan. "I don't want him to get too agitated. I think it's enough for the moment. Wait for me outside, please."

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Holly, rising. She has learned the key things she had wanted to at this point anyway. "Let's go, Father." She steps out of the room.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 pm
by TheLibrarian
Father Flanagan stands, offering a final reassuring handshake to Henslowe. "I will keep you in my prayers, Mr. Henslowe," he says as he leaves. He pauses at the door. "For whatever that's worth."

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:21 pm
by Overlord87

Dr. Keaton joins you outside the room a couple of minutes later. "Well then, I'll set up the interview with Mr. Job. It will take 10-15 minutes, I think." He looks towards Father Flanagan, a little concerned. "Perhaps you want to take a breath of fresh air, in the meantime. Places like this... they can be quite unsettlin', if you're not used to them".

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:47 pm
by TheLibrarian
"Thank you Doctor, I think I will step out for some air." Father Flanagan looks around for a moment. "If you could point me to an exit? I've never had the best sense of direction..."

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll accompany you, Father," says Holly. "Thank you, Dr. Keaton."

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   We'll continue in Reunion at Joy Grove