[IC - SAVANNAH] Joy Grove Sanitarium (Holly,Father Flanagan)

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - SAVANNAH] Joy Grove Sanitarium (Holly,Father Flana

Post by TheLibrarian »

"I don't think I like it here. Something about this place feels off." Father Flanagan shuffles his feet and looks around, his gaze lingering on any visible water damage spots. "I don't suppose you know anything about cults?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sometimes mental institutions can get to you," says Holly. "I guess I'm just used to them. All of my knowledge of cults is purely theoretical. I haven't actually had a patient who has been part of one. Cults often have a charismatic, manipulative leader who is the brains of the operation. Potential members are drawn by promises of various things: eternal life, esoteric knowledge, power, and wealth. Of course, the wealth usually comes from the deceived cultists and goes straight to the leader, with his inner circle perhaps getting a smaller share. People join cults for different reasons, too. It's often out of a desire to belong to something bigger than themselves. A lot of the time, they feel inadequate and think joining will better them. For a good example of what happens when a cult takes over an entire country, look at Nazi Germany." She tactfully refrains from mentioning the cult-like qualities of the Catholic Church. Either he will put the pieces together on his own, or there will be no convincing him, she thinks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

Any subtext to Holly's description of cults goes right past Father Flanagan. "They sound sinister. Although I suppose I can kind of understand it. There are plenty of people who prey on other people's physical weaknesses, so of course there'd be people preying on people's emotional and spiritual weaknesses. It's like the dark mirror of the church, in a way. I know the majority of my congregation turns up every Sunday out of obligation or guilt, rather than actually wanting to be there." Father Flanagan pauses for a moment.
"But from the sound of it, this group was being asked by their leaders to do some bad things. I wonder what a person would have to be offered..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's about the size of it," says Holly. "Whatever they promised, it's a good bet they don't deliver on it, except possibly to the people at the top."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Dr. Keaton returns, smiling: "Well, all set. Follow me". He heads downstairs and leads you into an interview room. it's a simple, cold space with three chairs, a table, and a barred window looking out into the hallway. The ambient vaguely smells of chlorine. There is a man sitting there, past his fifties, out of shape and starting to lose his hair. He's clean-shaven and sits with a good posture. He looks very tired. "Douglas, these people are Dr. Chastain and Father Flanagan. They are friends of your old friend, Walter Winston."

Douglas stands up and shakes your hands. "Hello, nice to meet y'all. How's my friend Walter?", a weak but warm smile lightens up his face.
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

"Pleasure to meet you at last, Mr. Henslowe," says Father Flanagan, shaking Henslowe's hand firmly. Father Flanagan casts a sideways glance at Holly, and waits for her to take the lead. The last thing we need is for me to immediately say the wrong thing and have him close off, he thinks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Henslowe," says Holly, smiling back. "Walter is about as well as could be expected, considering what you've both been through. Are you okay with talking about that?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Dr. Keaton signals you to sit down while he stands near one of the walls, a couple of meter from the table. He has taken out a notebook and a pen.

Douglas says to you: "Am I okay? Ah. I've been waitin' for this moment for years. But not so fast, young lady. I have a couple of questions myself, if you don't mind. Why didn't Walter come himself? Why are you gettin' involved with what happened back then?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Walter isn't talking about what happened," says Holly after she takes a seat. She takes out her own notebook and a pencil and prepares to take notes on Douglas's statement. "I don't believe he even wants to think about it any more. That may be why he never answered your letters. But his daughter Janet is very concerned, and I'd like to help her come to terms with everything. It changed her father completely, and he was never the same as he was before."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Janet...", his eyes fix on a point on a wall, losing focus for a couple of seconds. "I remember Janet... she should be, what, 33, 34 now? Time passes so quickly." Douglas stays silent for a couple of seconds more, then looks directly at Holly and says. "Well, let's start from the beginnin', right? I remember those first few months of 1924. We were travelin' the country, hot on the trail of the cult that started all of this. We questioned people, gathered evidence, took pictures, traveled all over. We were like detectives, armed with our secret knowledge in... the occult. It was... an excitin' time. He smiles a little. "The trail finally led us to Los Angeles. That's where the bulk of our investigation took place. That's where everythin' happened, on that cursed summer".
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

"You were investigating a cult?" Father Flanagan leans forward, his face the picture of intrigue. "In an official capacity? What was the basis of this cult?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Douglas laughs: "Official capacity? Are you crazy?", this last question sounds especially ironic, considering the situation, but Douglas doesn't seem to realize that. "If only you had seen what I've seen...". He covers his face with his hands for a couple of seconds, then keeps talking. "They had a large drug business going, but that was just for the money. Money they used to fund their real operation: the summoning. Walter and F.C. did the research. They figured out that the cult was already in contact with that dreadful thing, The Thing with a Thousand Mouths, and were planning to summon it, or an incarnation of it, in that barn outside Los Angeles".

Dr. Keaton is taking notes, but looks mildly bored - like he has already heard this tale several times. "We have already talked about this, right, Douglas? There is no such thing as a 'summoning'. And no Thing... Thing with a Thousand Mouths...". Douglas just snorts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, the cult certainly believed in such a thing," says Holly, jotting things down, "and that belief must have guided their actions. I'm sure you've heard this all before, Dr. Keaton, but this is completely new to us. I would like to hear the full story." She returns her attention to Douglas. "Mr. Henslowe, please continue. And who is F.C.? I'm not familiar with that name."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"F.C. Kullman, was Walter's expert in the occult. Apparently he was known far and wide for his expertise, back in the day. Walter had to pay him quite a bit to come with us out to Los Angeles, as I recall. A bit of a stick in the mud, that fellow, but bright as can be. Stuck in a wheelchair, too, but with a can-do attitude" Douglas pauses for a second, then adds. "We were five: Walter, me, F.C., Vince and Katherine."

Spoiler:
OOC:   Father Flanagan can perform a 1-point spend in Occult regarding F.C. Kullman.  
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

Father Flanagan recognises the name "F.C. Kullman". "F.C.? As in Frankln Corman Kullman? I've read some of his work. He was an expert on occult theories. This group must have been serious for him to get involved."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Who are Vince and Katherine?" asks Holly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Serious, Father? We were tryin to save the world. It dudden get any more serious than that." Douglas then turns towards Holly. "Vince... Vincent Stack. Tough fellow. Walter called him a "fixer". Good with a gun, good with his hands. Always ready with a drink. He's the one that waded right in theeyur, that night, and brought hell to some of those cultists with his shotgun. And Katherine... poor little Katherine... she was our cameraman and archivist. She wanted to uncover the truth, hated the idea that a cult like that could operate in secret. Brave girl. She took photographs for us. And she's the one who caught wind of what was happenin' that night in '24. She died that night." His voice breaks a little here. "Poor Katherine... she was so young..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Holly feels a twinge of sorrow for the death of this young woman she has never met. "I'm sorry," she says in a comforting tone. "What was Katherine's last name, and how did she find out about what was happening?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Douglas is now looking to a point in midair, his gaze lost in the past: "Katherine... Katherine Clark... she was surveillin' Echavarria's house... Echavarria was the cult leader, you see... and she saw movement, got suspicious. We rushed out to the bah-an as soon as we got word that so many of the cultists were meetin' up theeyur. Walter said that the sta-ws were right that night, too. Whatever that means. So we rushed out theeyur with guns and homemade bombs to put a stop to it." His breathing is a little ragged now. "And a lot of people died that night..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's come back to that later," says Holly, hoping to calm him down by changing the subject to one less traumatic - and one about which she wants to know more. "How did you first find out about Echavarria and the cult, and how did the five of you get together?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”