[IC - SAVANNAH] Arriving in Savannah

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - SAVANNAH] Arriving in Savannah

Post by Overlord87 »

You meet back at the hangar at 9 am. Thomas Foster is waiting for you, efficient as always. "Good morning, gentlemen, Dr. Chastain. Mrs. Winston-Rogers instructed me to give you these." He handles each of you a letter envelope. "It's an advanced payment, it should also cover any expense you should sustain during the trip. The plane is ready, Frank is waiting for you inside". He gestures towards the silver plane. "Bon voyage", he adds at last, shaking your hands before entering a limousine and leaving. Each of the envelopes contain 100 dollars.

It's a beautiful morning of early spring. The air is still cold, but not unpleasantly so. The sky is clear and the sun is shining on you as you walk towards the plane. You are in good mood and feel that this journey's beginning is an auspicious one. The interior of the plane is incredibly luxurious - at least compared to any previous experience you might have had. There are leather armchairs as seats, a small refrigerator, some reading lamps and even a couple of beds placed towards the back. Frank greets you as you enter. He is still not quite friendly, but somewhat less distant than the last time you met him. "Good morning. Ready to take off as soon as you're". He still doesn't talk much, though.

leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Re: [IC - SAVANNAH] Arriving in Savannah

Post by leonardolad »

After greeting the others, Ian addresses Frank "Good morning, Mr. Kearns" Ian says amiably "you're the boss Whenever you say."
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence in the car, kisses his wife and children goodbye. His wife wishes him a safe trip. He exits the car, smiles and nods acknowledgements to the others. He takes a deep breath, the crisp air lighting up his lungs like a Christmas tree. He enters the plane with his small case, appreciative of the comfort, and settles down.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Holly arrives, driving her old, reliable Ford Model A. She parks, gets out of the car, and carries her suitcase over to the plane. "Good morning, gentlemen!" she calls to the others.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

Father Flanagan arrives in a non-descript car, suitcase on his lap. He quickly boards the plan, nodding to the others as he looks around nervously.
"I don't fly very often, but would I be right in saying this is a very nice plane?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"That's right, Father.The best plane in all the eastern coast", Frank smiles, beaming with pride. "All right, sit down and fasten the seat belts, we'll be taking off in a minute".

A few minutes later, you're flying south while enjoying the comfort of a real luxury plane. The flight is enjoyable and uneventful, the weather remains nice as you fly over half a dozen states to reach Georgia. It's early afternoon when you start the descent tower Hunter Field, an airport a few miles south of the city proper. On your left, the ocean shines under the brimming light of the sun. As the plane touches the airstrip and then slows down to a halt, even the most nervous of you can breath a sigh of relief. The trip is over, Savannah welcomes you.

As you exit the plane, there are a few people watching you with curiosity, mostly personnel of the airport. You realize that this is a small airport and there's not much activity, so perhaps it's inevitable for you to stand out, considering the luxurious aircraft you were traveling on. Frank, ignoring the attention you have raised, or perhaps used to it, informs you that he'll find an hangar to place the plane and will wait for you here. He then heads out towards a building that seems to be the administrative center of the airport.

Left alone, you follow a series of indications to reach a sort of common area for travelers. There are a few seats, a big clock right above a timetable fixed on the wall, listing the very scarce number of flights departing everyday from Hunter Field. There is a phone, too, perhaps the most useful thing here. There's also a telephone book. You think you can search for the telephone number and call a cab, although it would probably be costly. You can also search for the number of an hotel in the city. If you walk outside the building, you find yourself right in front of a road, with indications for Savannah towards the north, 5 kilometers away. There's really not much here besides the airport, but you notice a diner and a small car rental shop fifty meters or so along the road towards the city.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Well, first thing, I need to know:
A) how you want to move around Savannah.
B) where do you want to stay for the night/nights you'll be staying in Savannah. For the sake of simplicity, I'll present you three options:
- The Blue River Grand Hotel, an elegant hotel in the city historic district, 4 dollars per night
- Warren Hotel, a clean and tranquil hotel not far from the Savannah river, on the northern side of the city, a little outside the city center, 1.5 dollars per night
- The Crocodile Motel, on the road from the airport to the city, the most economic and not particularly comfortable solution, 0.5 dollars per night
You are not forced to choose the same place, you can split if you prefer.

Then I need to know how you want to proceed. Your lead are two addresses, that you located on a Savannah city map back in Boston. One is inside the city, a little outside the historic district (513 West Henry Street); the second one is a few miles east of the city, on a peninsula enclosed by the ocean and the mouth of the Savannah river (23 Old Hope road).

It is currently 4 pm.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I think we should rent at least one car, and probably two. I can drive one of them. This would give us more freedom of movement and allow us to get around quickly. I'm fine with staying at the Warren Hotel. We should check [b]Henslowe[/b]'s more recent address first, as he won't be at the old address, and we need to talk to him (if he's still there) before we visit that one. I suspect the journal is hidden at the original address, but we'll need more information in order to have an idea of where to look.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   We're on expenses... but I don't think we've been given a 'float'?

My vote would be to stay at the Warren Hotel (we won't be here more than 2 night's I'm hoping.

Let's rent 2 cars - and why we're about that ask the people at the car hire place about the 2 addresses - see what they can tell us.

If we had phone numbers we could 'ring ahead' and make appointments.

I guess we could swing by 513 West Henry Street on our way to the hotel?  
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

OOC:   Two cars sounds like the best bet,that way we can cover more ground. It sounds like we are agreed on the Warren. maybe we could ask someone there about the addresses as well?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

There is a very bored clerk at the rental car shop. He seems happy to see you, perhaps more so for the diversion that you offer than for the money you're paying with. After a few minutes of bargaining, you settle on a couple of Chevrolet Standard Six, 1933 model, leaving 6 dollars of deposit and agreeing to a daily fare of 2 dollars for each vehicle. You ask the clerk about the two addresses but, even though he seems eager to help, he has no useful information for you. He provides you with the address for the local library, though, suggesting that you could find more informations there.

It's about 4:15 pm, it will get dark between 6 and 7 pm. From the Savannah maps you have, you estimate that it would not take more than 15-20 minutes to reach 513 West Henry Street, or the library, or the hotel. A little more, perhaps 40-45 minutes, to reach 23 Old Hope road.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

OOC:   Ok Who is going in which car?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Well, I'll be driving one of the cars. We should go to the library first, while it's still open.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Clarence Lanalor should drive the other one (only other character with 'Driving').

Split up - Dr. Chastain and Fr. Flanagan (car 1) - Lanalor, Morin and Fontana (car 2); luggage spilt between the 2 cars.

Off to the library we go!

Fontana, will want to find out what residence(s) are at each address - and get a phone number for each (should be directories? If they have a phone of course).

Maybe we can look up the family name of Henslowe (Douglas in particular) while we're there too.  
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence walked over to the hire car.The warm humid air of Savannah, had forced him to remove his jacket. He placed his case into the boot of the, draped the jacket over the drivers seat, and waited for Morin and Fontana to join him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Holly goes over to the other car and loads her suitcase into the trunk. "This is nicer than my car," she says. "I guess I'd better not get too used to it." She slides behind the wheel and starts up the engine while waiting for her passenger to get aboard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The road leads you towards Savannah. The view from the speeding car is so different from what you're used to in Boston, you can't help but wonder if you're really still in the same country. You see green grass, and trees dripping with moss, often covering the road with their branches. It's almost like riding inside a natural tunnel. Here and there, the light of the sun reflects on water, a little pond or a small stream of water. Everything smells wet and still, like the trees were sweating.

Image Image

After ten minutes or so, you reach the outskirts of the city. This is the newest part of the city, with factories and parking lots and recently built apartment houses. As you move towards the city center, the traffic diminishes. There are less people and less cars here. Red-brick antebellum buildings hide behind a veil of ivy and moss, their wrought-iron fixtures jutting out like ragged swords. Here and there, broken windows betray buildings that are empty inside.

You finally reach the city library, a white building with clear classical inspiration, not particularly big in size. You head inside and start your research. It's not hard to find out the informations you're looking for.
Father Flanagan is looking through the addresses and discovers that 513 West Henry Street is the address of Joy Grove sanitarium, a 40-year-old mental institution housed in a huge antebellum hospital building.
Christopher is skimming through the phone directory. There is no Douglas Henslowe, but there is a Virginia Henslowe, and her address is 23 Old Hope Road. Additional research uncovers that 23 Old Hope Road is the address of the Henslowe family mansion and grounds, a few miles east of the city.

Spoiler:
OOC:   You can perform a 1-point Library Use spend to obtain additional information on both the sanitarium and the Henslowe's mansion (1 point for each). Anyone with Library Use can perform the spend. Let me know if you want to make the spend or not, and who does the spend. If someone does the spend, I'll send him the resulting informations via PM. Also, let me know how you want to proceed (it's currently 5:15 pm, more or less). Use IC as much as possible.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll find out more about the sanitarium," says Holly. "That's right up my alley. While I'm doing that, the rest of you can research other topics." She begins searching for further information about the mental hospital.
OOC,I'll spend one point of Library Use to research the sanitarium. That only leaves me with one point, so someone else should probably spend the other one. Can we also research the family history of the [b]Henslowes[/b]?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Yes, you can research the family history of the Henslowes. It's a 1-point Library Use spend.

I forgot to mention, now that you know that 513 West Henry Street is the address of the Joy Grove, you can easily find its phone number, if you wish (obviously no spends required here).  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Joy Hill Sanitarium was founded in 1897," reports Holly when she completes her research. "My guess is that was Douglas Henslowe's address in the early letters because he was committed there after the events of August 1924. Whatever happened, it likely didn't happen there. There was no indication of anything big happening there throughout its history. The current head there is Dr, Lawrence Teake, but he's about to retire if he hasn't already. His handpicked successor is his protegé Dr. Jonathan Keaton. I think Dr. Teake will be more likely to remember Mr. Henslowe, as he was probably there in 1924. Dr. Keaton has less chance of having been there that long. I've also looked up the phone number there. What did the rest of you find?"
OOC,I think the other two investigators with Library Use should each spend one point on the two remaining topics.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"That's very interesting, Dr. Chastain" says Ian, interested in what Holly found. "Let's hope Dr. Teake is still working. If he is not, we should pay the man a visit. Let me see if we can find him in the phone book. They probably have one at the reception."
OOC,If the Library reception has a phone book, I'll try to find Dr. Teake's address.
"Nevertheless, even if Dr. Keaton wasn't working at the Joy Hill in 1924, he was probably there when Henslowe came back to the Sanitarium for his second stay, beginning in 1934. From all we know, the man is still there so Dr. Keaton must have some information from his more recent years."

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”