[IC-BOSTON] The Boston Post (Ian and Christopher)

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC-BOSTON] The Boston Post (Ian and Christopher)

Post by Overlord87 »

It's a slow day at the Post. No big scandal, no mafia shootout, no rampaging serial killer. Christopher and Ian walks through the corridors, accompanied only by the sound of fingers ticking on the keys of typewriters, until they finally reach their destination. The morgue is a large room filled with paper and file cabinets and newspaper clippings. While you can see a sort of order governing this place, there is definitely tons of material here, and the older stuff is dusty and disarranged. You realize it will not be an easy task gathering the informations you need.

There is someone from the archives staff working around the morgue, a woman called Sarah. She greets you with a smile: "Oh good morning Ian. I see we have a guest. I'm Sarah. Pleased to meet you". She lays down a bunch of newspaper clippings on a desk, then says: "Do you need help? Awfully busy as usual, but I can at least point you around this sea of paper".

Spoiler:
OOC:   You can search around for any information that could reasonably be in a newspaper morgue. Due to the time constraints,you can only look up to three facts/informations/events. Anything that predates 1930 requires a 1 point Library Use spend.
Alternatively, Ian can spend 1 point of an appropriate interpersonal ability to have Sarah look up the information for him.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: [IC-BOSTON] The Boston Post (Ian and Christopher)

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher looks around, taking in the shelves ..."Well... this is an impressive collection, sorry... Christopher Fontana, pleased to meet you.." he says shaking Sarah's hand. "We shan't take up too much of your time, we have something of a puzzle to solve.. and hopefully we can find some information to help us." Chrisopher pauses, gathering his thoughts "Well, it is a bit macabre I am afraid... I would like to try and find any reports from the summer of1924 of ... well of reports of multiple homicides... not even sure of the exact month or location.. he shrugs.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sarah is clearly unhappy with what she's hearing. "Multiple homicides? In 1924? Ian, why do I have the feeling you're getting yourself in trouble?" The tone is concerned, sort of motherly.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian opens a big and sincere smile, trying to soothe Sarah's mind. "Oh, calm down, darling! There's nothing to worry about." He is not completely sure about that, but he sees no point in implicate Sarah in it. "We're working on a pretty interesting case, with some curious details like these multiple homicides, but don't worry... All the action happened more than 10 years ago!"

"Now look, honey... As Mr. Fontana said, we're looking for multiple homicides that took place in August 1924, not necessarily in Boston. All around the globe, really. Also, there are two names: Walter Winston and Douglas Henslowe. We could really use some help here. You know I can handle a quick search in most of the recent files, but 1924? This is a job for a professional. The way you flow through this cabinets and shelves... To see you working in this files is really something. I'm pretty sure that if there's something here, you are the only one that could find it." Ian knows she's a pretty busy girl, looking for all journalists and reporters requests, but he truly believes that with her help their chances of finding anything useful increase substantially. "Please?"
OOC:   Even with my Special Occupational Ability I have to spend 1? If that's the case, I spend 1 in Reassurance.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   I'm happy to spend 1 library use to search for news articles on the killings.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Ian, flattery won't get you anywhere", she says, with a reproaching tone, but she doesn't seem displeased. Quite the contrary, in fact. A couple of minutes later, you three are skimming together through the impressive amount of documents of various nature stored in the morgue. Sarah's help is invaluable. She 's clearly in her habitat here, and makes more progress than the two of you combined. Even so, it takes almost three hours to assemble a list of all the multiple homicide cases happened in the summer of 1924 - those that made it into the Post, at least.

You discover the following events:
- Serial killings that happened in Paris, from January 1924 to August 1924. 7 people killed. The culprit was arrested on the 17th of August and condemned to a life sentence. His name was Benjamin D'Arran.
- A shootout between criminal gangs in New York, on the 3rd of August. 9 people killed.
- 15 people died in an abandoned farm near Los Angeles on August 18. They were thought to be members of a sex club for rich people, but their last meeting ended up in senseless violence. Drugs were probably involved in the accident.
- A series of forest fires, in Canada, thought to be the work of a pyromaniac that was never found. 17 people died victims of the fires, or trying to contain them. The fires happened in July 1924.
- 20 people died in the Hawaii in a clash between the sugar workers and the police, on the 9th of September.
- In Kohat, British India, 155 people were killed during a revolt lasting three days (9-11 september).
- In Napalpi, Argentina, 400 indigenous people were killed by a coalition of policemen and local ranchers on July 19.

Spoiler:
OOC:   A spend is required here considering that you're searching for something very vague. If you want to research some other informations, it might only require Library Use with no spends. It depends on the kind of information you're looking for, though.
I'll take the 1 point Reassurance spend from Ian, to get Sarah's help.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Well, we have some leads at least... I had feared that we wouldn't dome up with anything at all.." Christoper sifts through the cuttings, making two piles.. "I don't think that this is a serious contender for our investigation" he says placing the article about the Paris murders to one side, "The deaths were too spread out and they apprehended the killer... and it doesn't feel right.. not what the letters were about at all." he also moves the article that details the 'uprising' in India "This one should go on our unlikely pile .. terrible as this event was it doesn't seem as personal as the letters suggest. I think the Argentinian slaughter is unlikely to be what we're after too." That article joins the other one.

"So.. we have these four events as possibles, do you agree?" Christopher lines up the four remaining articles; "No doubt Henslowe can help us to determine which of these is the event in question.... of course it may be something different entirely... only time will tell." he shrugs.

"Now, Sarah.. can we get copies of these please... umm.. all of them.. just in case." he smiles ruefully.
OOC:   I don't think there's any mileage in looking deeper into these events - Henslowe ought to confirm which one (if any) is correct, then we can get more detailed info from local sources.
Perhaps we ought to stop this search and move onto getting details on Winston?  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"I agree" says Ian, reviewing the two piles with the tip of his fingers. "Only Henslowe will be able to tell us if any of these is related to the case, but some of them clearly aren't. We should stop here, take care of our business the rest of the day and gather with the others tomorrow morning."

"Thank you so much, Sarah." Ian smiles and touches her arm gently. Your help was invaluable. Would you like to have a coffee next week?
OOC:   Yeah, we should probably move on the Henslowe.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sarah smiles a little flirtatiously: "Oh, I'd love to. There's a new place on the 5th street, they say it has delicious pastries. We should check if they are as good as they say". She laughs a little, then says: "Wait a minute, I'll get a copy of these articles". She heads out into another room.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Let me know if you want to leave or you wish to research some additional information.  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"Thank you, darling. We'll be right here."

Ian turns to Fontana. "So, I think our work is done here. See you tomorrow morning, then?"
OOC:   I should probably leave.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Well... why don't we have a look to see what information we can gather on Winston; we are here and should take advantage of the facilities..."
OOC:   Let's see what we can dig up on Winston and Henslowe, without spending pts, (we have their addresses) - which ought to help.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Ian and Christopher search around the morgue for anything that could be related to Winston and Henslowe. Despite several hours of effort, they don't find much. There are some references to Winston in the financial pages of the Post, mostly focused on his pharmacetical company, unoriginally called Winston Pharmaceutics, and another holding that controls something like 12 hospitals in the country, the Winston Hospitals. No reference whatsoever to his private life, except for a short obituary at the end of 1936 that doesn't really tell you more of what you already knew (which is very little).
There is a reference to the marriage of Janet Winston with Mark C. Rogers, the heir to another financial powerhouse of the New England area. The marriage took place in 1933 and wasn't a public event. Mark Rogers died in early 1936 in a car accident, leaving no sons or daughters.
There is no information whatsoever on any Douglas Henslowe linked to Walter Winston.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher makes copious and thorough notes on everything they have discovered, gathers up the copies of the articles relating to 1924 and after thanking Sarah for her help and forbearance with the searches.

Christopher then spends the rest of the day arranging his leave of absence and putting together his 'investigating kit', ready to meet with the others, in the morning.
OOC:   Unless, of course there's anything the Morin wants to follow up on?  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"Thanks again, honey. We'll let you get back to your work. I see you next week, ok?. Ian say goodbye to Sarah and Christopher and go to the upper floors.

After arranging his departure to Savannah with his editor-in-chief, Ian heads to East Boston, spending the rest of the day in his apartment packing and smoking Lucky Strikes.

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”