[IC-PROLOGUE] The Hangar

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC-PROLOGUE] The Hangar

Post by Overlord87 »

The limousine travels fast out of Boston. The driver does not seem very talkative and openly disregards any question, keeping his eyes on the road. As you sit back and watch outside the window, the urban landscape leaves place to the woods north of the city, the light of the lamps fades to reveal the infinite sea of stars above. After less than half hour, you realize finally what is your destination: the Henslowe Flag Airport, a little private airport used mostly by anyone wealthy enough to possess a plane and wanting to avoid attention.

The car enters the airport and you immediately notice that only one of the hangars is lit and open - that must surely be your destination. As you get closer, you are able to see into the hangar. There is an aircraft, of course, beautifully kept and shining with the reflections of the limousine's headlights. But most curiously, there's a corner of the hangar that is occupied by a sort of little, cozy sitting room. It's an odd instance of civilization - of armchairs and bookshelves and lit reading lamps - amid the functional metal housing of the hangar, amid the rough weeds and woods at the verge of the airfield.

You notice that yours is not the only limousine heading for the hangar. Five different cars reach the hangar without even five minutes passing between the first and the last, each one with a single passenger on it. Your host clearly has great resources at her disposal, and appreciates precision and punctuality.

And then you see her, perhaps different from what most of you were expecting. She is young, probably no more than 35 years old, and beautiful. She smiles amiably as she greets you, but the smile does not really lights her face. There is a sort of sadness in her eyes, that is impossible not to notice. And yet, there is also determination and a strong will in those eyes. Whatever trial she endured, it made her stronger.
"Good evening to all of you. My name is Janet Winston-Rogers. I thank you for your willingness to come here, tonight, with no explanation and on such short notice. Please, come inside and sit, then we'll talk", she gestures towards the armchairs. You notice she stops for a second near one of you, who seems to be a priest, holding his hands and exchanging a few words, before leading the way inside the hangar.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC-PROLOGUE] The Hangar

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Pleased to meet you," says Holly, following Janet inside. "I'm Dr. Holly Chastain." While she's sure Janet can figure that out, as she's the only woman in the group, she says it mainly for the benefit of the other arrivals. She wears her best dress, a flowing turquoise off-the-shoulder gown with a matching wrap, but it pales in comparison with the splendor of Janet's clothing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

After greeting Janet, Father Flanagan moves inside the hanger, nodding politely at the others assembled there. Taking a seat in one of the armchairs, he takes the opportunity to stretch a little after the trip in the limousine.

"Happy to help in any way I can, Janet. It is good to see you again."
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"Phew. Some reading room, eh?", Ian said to the driver, who responded with a dull nod.

That was definitely not what Ian was expecting of this meeting. "Who are these people?" he thinks. Given the mournful look in the eyes of their hostess, Ian decide to keep any witty comments he could have about the whole thing to himself for the rest of the night. "Mrs. Winston-Rogers, I'm Ian Morin. Pleased to meet you." He politely nod to the rest of the group as he follows them to the hangar.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

After a few aborted attempts to engage Foster in anything more than general chit-chat, his initial queries regarding to the upcoming appointment only met with "Mrs. Winston-Rogers wants to explain that in person." or a variation of that sentiment. So he settles back to enjoy the ride, after all it's not often he had the opportunity to travel in such style.

After a while, during which Christopher has to fight not to doze off, such is the comfort of the ride; he notices that the road that they are on leads to a private airfield and soon after sees that Henslowe Flag Airport is indeed their destination. Soon the luxurious vehicle sweeps through the gates and approaches a hanger, he then notices other headlights following and tat there are already two limousines parked up.

He wonders at the whole set-up .. a hanger and a sitting room set-up to receive guests, affectation no doubt; why couldn't this 'meeting' occur in more regular surroundings? Then their 'host' introduces herself and invites the small group inside.

After a brief round of introductions Christopher takes a seat, waiting for the ladies to be seated first or course.
OOC:   Would 'we' have heard of this 'Mrs. Winston-Rogers'?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Once you're all sitting in the strange parlor area of the hangar, Janet speaks again. While she speaks, she looks you straight in the eyes and her voice carries that calm authority of people who are used to be listened - and obeyed - without resorting to intimidation or arrogance.
"I'm sure you're all curious about this unusual convocation. It is not a simple matter, and not one I like to talk about, but I will try to explain it to you at the best of my capabilities. Some of these informations were always kept inside the family", she looks at the priest for a second with an apologetic look on her face, before continuing, "so I ask that you do not divulge in public what you'll hear tonight.

She pauses for a second, as if collecting her thoughts.

"My father, Walter Winston, died in december 1936, just a few months ago. As much as I desired to leave the past behind with his death, I've found myself unable to do so. I seek an appropriate closure, one that so far has eluded me. My father's life is for the most part unknown to me, you see. Shrouded in mystery. I need to know the truth about him, about what he did, why he did...", her voice trails off and she falls silent for a second. "That's why I've gathered you here tonight. I fear it's not an easy task that I'm presenting you, since my father was involved for years with strange people and even stranger... things. But it's a matter of great importance to me, and of course you'll be compensated for your efforts."

She leans back on the armchair, her eyes half-closed, as if weighing you up. "My father made his fortune in the pharmaceutical business in the years after the war. After that he spent months traveling around the world. He studied folklore and, unfortunately, picked up an interest in... occult. He was never the same again. My father was a very driven man, you see. And he found a battle to fight. He wouldn't tell us any details, but he spent years traveling, on the trail of what he called 'bad people'. He grew more and more distant from me and my mother. We would not see him for weeks, even months at times."

"That is what I need to know. Where was he? Who were those bad people? It is a matter of my father's memory, but not only that. Am I safe? Can I be assured that the consequences of my father's actions will not find their way to me? Is there something that he left unfinished, perhaps?"

She pauses for a second. "Will you help me?"

Spoiler:
OOC:   The names "Janet Winston-Rogers" and "Walter Winston" do not ring any bell. Despite the obvious power and wealth at their disposal, this is not a family of celebrities.  
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence finished scribbling in his notebook. Yes, this was the kind of investigation he believed he was good at, and from a wealthy customer. Not the nickel and dime customers hoping to trap their husbands or wives. He pocketed the notebook and stood up, "Yes I will help you. Clarence Lanalor at your service" He briefly looked round at the others and sat down. He pulled out a Rothmans and lit it with his Dunhill lighter.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would also be pleased to help you," says Holly in a comforting, sympathetic tone. "This should prove a challenge, but I feel I am up to it. Normally, I deal with living patients, and I can speak with them and ask them questions to get to the bottom of their troubles. That won't be possible here, so we'll have to use other means of learning everything we can about your father. We have you here, so we can ask you questions about him. I can also counsel you if you so desire. Your grief and fears cannot be easy things to bear. If your father left behind any writings, such as a diary, those would be invaluable in finding the answers we seek. Also, if you don't mind my asking, how did your father die?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Despite his peculiar life, my father died of a common heart attack. I wonder if he found that ironic". There is a bitter smile on Janet's lips as he speaks. "He was 53. Considering the way he has lived and his constant paranoia, I guess life has been almost too generous to him".

She allows Clarence to light her a cigarette before continuing. "He didn't leave any written record, but... there are the letters". She sighs heavily. Reluctantly, she stands up and walks to a nearby table. There is a small wooden box on it, which she unlocks with a key from one of her pockets. She walks back to you and hands over the box to Holly before sitting again. "You all can read them. As I said before, I ask for your reserve on this matter".

Inside the box are a number of letters, covering a period from 1925 to 1934. The oldest ones start to show the signs of aging, with a slightly yellow color and small cuts on the edges. More than that, the first three letters show signs of someone working on them with a pencil, circling words and letters, writing numbers. There are no such markings on the others. All letters come from Savannah, Georgia, from two different addresses.

Spoiler:
OOC:   You should be able to read them. If you have troubles let me know.
http://postimg.org/image/th4tp3jkf/
http://postimg.org/image/9th1wl8e5/
http://postimg.org/image/vntckqt0l/
http://postimg.org/image/a8ipw36r7/
http://postimg.org/image/8xid9kxcf/
http://postimg.org/image/x45qicwwt/
http://postimg.org/image/65f8wmck1/
http://postimg.org/image/lgoljxuph/
http://postimg.org/image/oyizvdu9r/
http://postimg.org/image/8mv54c6np/
http://postimg.org/image/mj0keai7l/
http://postimg.org/image/g0you1lrn/

The greatest disappointment of this last few months was spending an hour or so to age the letters with tea, then realizing that the scanner reverted them - more or less - back to black and white :(  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

As he reads the troubling letters, Ian too felt the need of a cigarette. He lights up a Lucky, and after write in his notebook the names of Janet Winston-Rogers, Walter Winston and Douglas Henslowe, his known addresses and dates, he turns to Janet: "Mrs. Winston-Rogers, these letters are indeed disturbing, and I'm willing to help you in any way I can. However, you do know I'm a journalist in one of the largest newspaper in the country, and my primary commitment is with my readers. I have no intentions of dragging your father's name, or yours, in groundless rumors, but these documents mention people getting killed. Also, you talk about bad people and, in your words, strange things. If we are talking about the mafia or any other malicious group working here or abroad, it may be of public interest. I hope you appreciate that."

He expects it doesn't sound too insensitive, as she appears to be in great distress, but he always preferred to be clear in his terms. "That said, you have any idea of who is this Douglas Henslowe, or what business he had with your father? You know where Mr. Winston was in August 1924?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Janet reflects a few seconds on Ian's words. "I understand your position, Mr. Morin, but I hope you can understand mine, too. If your investigation will bring to light a potential threat to the security of people, I'll be the first to act to make sure that the authorities are informed and ready to take the appropriate countermeasures. But I would prefer my father's name to remain out of it. He's no longer among us, after all. I would also ask you to leave these letters here, as I wish their content to remain hidden. I feel the less people read them, the better". He moves uncomfortably in the chair.

"Regarding your question, I do not personally know this Douglas Henslowe. During the early twenties, as I told you, my father spent much time traveling. When he wasn't traveling, he sometimes held meetings - secret meetings - with people he wasn't in business with. Other dabblers in the occult, I think. Perhaps this Henslowe was one of them." She pauses for a second. "It all ended in 1924. Something happened that year, something that sent my father back to us rattled and unraveling. He stopped traveling, stopped having these meetings. But he wasn't well. He saw a psychiatrist for a few years. He burned his books. He hardly ate. He jumped at shadows, insisted he was being watched". Janet shivers, showing the first breach in her self-control since the beginning of the conversation. "He was never the same. He forbade us from asking about his travels and said more than once than 'nothing mattered anymore'. When mother died, in 1932, he hardly grieved. After that, he became only more frustrated and paranoid, until he passed away." Her eyes lose focus, as if watching something very distant, probably something in the past. "I don't know where he traveled. I have been asking myself that exact question for months, trying to recovery any detail lost in my memory, but I do not know. It is one of the things I want you to find out. Probably this Henslowe knows the answer."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher listened intently, his interest growing steadily as the tale unfolded. There wasn't a lot to go on Janet Winston-Rogers' reasons were barely sketched out, but then he was used to starting one of his 'investigations' with very little to go on, best to start with an open mind was an adage that he held true. He to started to make notes in his notebook and took his turn reading the letters.

"I must say Mrs. Winston-Rogers that your plight has piqued my interest and I assure you that I shall do my utmost to find the answers you're looking for. I have some leave due to me from my post at the University and should this become a protracted matter I may be able to negotiate a sabbatical." he looks at the notes he's made so far... "Is your late Father's secretary available to answer questions? After all they may have been asked to make any travel arrangements or indeed know where your Father was, in case any urgent business matters should arise... that kind of thing.." Christopher takes a proffered letter from one of the other 'Investigators' and reads the script.. "I quite understand you not wanting to release these letters but may we write our own copies?" he asks.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Janet shakes her head as she speaks again. "No, unfortunately my father's old secretary died around five years ago. Some accident while he was traveling abroad, I don't remember the details. His name was Terence White. I doubt he could have helped us anyway, as I told you my father was extremely secretive about that side of his life. It's like he was living two different lives and wanted to keep them completely separate. You can't have the letters, but you can read them here and take some notes if you wish."

She falls silent for a second, then adds, slightly embarrassed: "I understand this job could require some time and have an impact on your everyday life. I'll triple your monthly salary for all the time that will be required to give me the answers I need. And my plane is at your disposal for a trip to Georgia. Frank!", she raises her voice while calling the name and a person emerges from the shadows of the hangar. He is very tall, dressed in simple clothes, in stark contrast with all the elegant suits you've seen so far. He has a serious expression on his face. His nose is slightly bent and was probably broken once. "He is Frank Kearns, my personal pilot. One of my most trusted men." The man slightly bows his head in salute.

"I would like for you to start as soon as possible. Time is of importance, to me." She puts out her cigarette in an ashtray before adding. "The books here are at your disposal. I think there might be some maps as well. Do you have any other question?"
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

Father Flanagan shifts uneasily in his chair. Something stills weighs heavily on his mind.

"You mentioned concern that consequences of your father's actions may find their way to you. Are you concerned for your safety? Has something happened to cause your concern?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You can of course count on my discretion," says Holly. "In my profession, it is standard practice to maintain confidentiality with my clients." She examines the letters, musing aloud for the benefit of her new colleagues. "Hmm...these letters are awfully vague about the specifics of what happened, but these numbers and circled letters seem to indicate that the two men were using some sort of code that they both understand. Do any of you gentlemen know anything about cryptography? I can solve cryptograms, but I'm afraid this is beyond me. If we cannot break the code, we'll have to find out from Douglas Henslowe what it means." She jots down the circled letters and words and the numbers, as well as the interconnecting lines, that she finds on the early letters. "Once we find the key to this code, we may have to come back and look at the letters again. We also have to find this journal of Henslowe's. That would have many answers collected together in one place, and is most likely what we need to find out about the traumatic events of August 1924. It may also help if I can locate and consult with the psychiatrist that Henslowe saw."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Father Flanagan's question seems to unsettle Janet: "No... no, I don't feel threatened. Not now".

She quickly moves her attention towards Holly. "Yes, my father's therapist... Let me see...". She takes out a piece of paper from one of her pockets. "Here it is... Doctor Jonathan Powell. I already contacted him, but he did not seem too cooperative. Perhaps he'll open up with a colleague". She nods towards Holly.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence studies the letters, nodding to himself, and said, "Well.... yes... most disturbing. I don't have a clue about the secret markings. This 'hidden journal' your father wrote about is the key to all this. And I believe we need to pay a visit to this Douglas Henslowe"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," Holly says to Janet as she accepts the paper. "I think he just might."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

After you spend a few minutes reading the letters and taking notes, Janet stands up and says: "Well, I think you have all the informations I can provide you, and I hope it's enough to start. I now have to return to Boston. You can contact my personal secretary if you need anything, including the arrangements for the trip when you'll be ready". She hands all of you a business card reporting simply a name (Thomas Foster), an address and a telephone number. "The cars will remain here until you're ready to leave. I will be expecting periodical reports. Good night and good work." She smiles briefly. "Father Flanagan, a word in private, if you please". Then she leaves, accompanied by the priest.

You are now alone in the hangar, except for the silent presence of the pilot, near the plane, still observing you with mild interest.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Holly nods. "Good night," she says, pocketing the business card. "We'll be in touch." She turns to her new colleagues. "We should all introduce ourselves and tell the group what skills we bring to the team. I'm Dr. Holly Chastain. psychoanalyst and medical doctor. I'm also a good researcher, with some general scientific knowledge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”