Investigators Creation Topic

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Investigators Creation Topic

Post by Overlord87 »

Well then, let's start :D

First, two quick questions for everyone:
1) Have you already played ToC?
2) Do you own the ToC Rulebook or the Player's Guide? (The quickstart rules are fine for playing, but I'll have to give you some additional information for character creation)

If the answer is yes to both, you can already start creating your character. As you already know, it's important to have a balanced party that can cover most (if not all) the investigative abilities. I'll give you the exact number of starting build points once I know the number of players, but you can in the meanwhile start the creation process and discuss here.

As a starter, it would be good if you could post:
A) A general concept of the Investigator.
B) Profession.
C) Drive.

I'll also link this character sheet that can be compiled online, if anyone wants to use it: http://pelgranepress.com/trail/files/Tr ... ble%29.pdf

ADDITIONAL INFO YOU'LL NEED
- The campaign starts in Boston, early 1937.
- For the campaign hook, you'll be summoned by a rich lady with a curious job proposal. You'll need to define why your character was chosen for the task - expertise, skills, reputation. Or you may choose to go to the meeting accompanying another investigator (who must obviously agree).
- You have at disposal 65 points for General Abilities and 14 points for Investigative Abilities.
- Health, Sanity and Stability have a cap of 12.
- All Drive and Occupations are available. Pulp rules for the Occupations do not apply.
- Hypnosis ability is not available.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: Investigators Creation Topic

Post by carnage_lee »

Overlord87 wrote:Well then, let's start :D
2) Do you own the ToC Rulebook or the Player's Guide? (The quickstart rules are fine for playing, but I'll have to give you some additional information for character creation)
My Answers
1) Kind of... I played in a TOC game here (The Primer) but unfortunately we didn't get very far :(
2) I've got the Quick Start rules
Overlord87 wrote: As a starter, it would be good if you could post:
B) Profession.
C) Drive.
What era is this set in? Where is the start - i.e. does it matter what nationality the characters are?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

carnage_lee wrote:
Overlord87 wrote:Well then, let's start :D
My Answers
1) Kind of... I played in a TOC game here (The Primer) but unfortunately we didn't get very far :(
2) I've got the Quick Start rules
Overlord87 wrote: As a starter, it would be good if you could post:
B) Profession.
C) Drive.
What era is this set in? Where is the start - i.e. does it matter what nationality the characters are?
Yes, sorry, forgot to specify it. I updated the initial post. The starting place is Boston, but generally all the New England area is fine (for your characters to live in/come from). The starting time is 1937.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The quick start rules list the professions and the drives.

The profession defines your field of expertise and what you do for a living. Every character can buy all investigative abilities as 1:1 (1 build point for one ability point). The investigative abilities that are also profession abilities can be bought as 1:2 (1 build point for 2 ability points).

The drive defines why your character is an investigator. It's the force pushing him forward when any other sane person would run away. Is it Pride? Thirst for Knowledge? Duty? Most are self-explanatory, but if you have questione ask me here ;)
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The campaign hook is relatively straightforward: a rich lady will invite you to a meeting and propose you a particular job. You can either be invited (and as such must specify a reason why you were chosen, a particolar expertise or skill, your reputation), or accompany one of the other investigators (in this case the other must agree and the drive "Follower" might be an appropriate choice).
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Updated the first post with some additional info on character creation ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I have played ToC (I was also in The Primer), and I have the Player's Guide in PDF. Since I have a little time now and I have all the instructions, I'll go ahead and build my character; I'll have to add background when I have more time:

Name: Dr. Holly Chastain
Sex: Female
Background: Alienist
Drive: Scholarship
Pillars of Sanity:
  • Knowledge is Power
  • Resilience of the Human Psyche
  • Love Conquers All
Sources of Stability:
  • Dr. Edward Chastain, Holly's father and her inspiration to pursue a medical career
  • Amelia Chastain, Holly's mother, who has been an endless source of encouragement
  • Dr. Michael Kaplan, Holly's mentor at Harvard Medical School, who always believed in her
  • Lucy Richards, a patient of Holly's who has made astounding strides
Investigative Abilities:

Academic
*Biology 2
*Languages (German and Latin) 2
*Library Use 2
*Medicine 3

Interpersonal
*Assess Honesty 3
Bargain 2
Bureaucracy 1
Credit Rating 3
Flattery 1
Reassurance 2

Technical
Chemistry 1
*Pharmacy 2

General Abilities:
Athletics 8
Driving 4
First Aid 8
Health 12
Preparedness 8
*Psychoanalysis 12
Sanity 9
Sense Trouble 4
Stability 12
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

How does this look?

Name: Christopher C. Fontana
Appearance: Age 42, a little above average height, slightly receding hairline, dark hair conservatively styled with dark intelligent eyes. Has a charming smile and a keen inciteful mind.
073.jpg
073.jpg (2.28 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Drive: Curiosity

Sanity:10 12
Pillars of Sanity: (4)
  • Science can explain everything (The absolute truth of the physical laws of the universe and scientific knowledge).
  • Staunch moral principles (My work helps humanity/society by exposing charlatans and deceivers).
  • There is no worse horror than the horror of war.
  • The future will be better than the past.
Stability:12
Sources of Stability:(4)
  • Prof. Adam Dempsey, President of the Society for Psychical Research;
  • Harry Price*, famous British paranormal researcher; something of a idol of Christopher's and recent correspondent and confident - offering support and advice.
  • Beatrice Fontana, Christopher's mother - source of 'no-nonsense' advice and support.
  • Captain William T. Kirk (ret.) - Christopher's commanding officer in the 30th Battalion, CEF; helped Cristopher 'keep it together' during WW1 and has kept in touch in the years since.
*Can I have a 'real' person as a source of stability?
Health:10

Investigative Abilities:
Academic
*Anthropology: 2
Architecture: 1
Biology: 1
History: 2
*Library use: 2
*Occult:2
Physics:1

Interpersonal
*Assess Honesty: 2
Bureaucracy: 1
Credit Rating: 3

Technical
Evidence Collection: 2
*Photography:2

General Abilities
Athletics: 6 7
Conceal: 4
*Electrical Repair: 4 6
Firearms: 4
*Mechanical Repair: 4 6
Preparedness:7 8
*Sense Trouble: 4
Stealth: 6

OOC:   I'll edit this as I go.

*Corrected my pts allocation (6 more pts distributed (Sanity 2; Athletics and Preparedness 1 each; Electrical & Mechanical Repair 2 pts each (2pt added as those are Occupational Skills)).  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

@carnage_lee: you have 4 free points in Sanity, 1 free point in Stability and Health. If I counted correctly you included those points in your 65 general abilities pool, while they're separate (and free). You then have 6 additional points to spend.
Since you have 10 points of Sanity, you have 3 pillars of Sanity (not 2). The rest is fine.

@Mr.Handy: no problems with your investigator.

Both of you need to select your Sources of Stability (1 for every 3 full points of Stability). A name and a brief description. These are the people keeping you sane, a network of friends, family and colleagues that help you get back on your feet and keep fighting the good fight.

Regarding the players that have yet to post, I suggest that at least one opts for a "tough" investigator: Military, Private Investigator, Police Detective, something of the sort. While the game will not be Pulp in tone, it would be wise to have one or two investigators capable to handle a gunfight and/or a brawl.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd like to switch my Library Use and Assess Honesty scores.

I don't have time tonight to come up with Sources of Stability, so it'll have to wait until after I get back from the convention. I hadn't included them because I thought those were more for pulp games.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

@Mr.Handy: you can switch them, no problem. Also no need to hurry with the Sources, I expect we won't start before at least a week.
The game won't be pulp. Not exactly purist, too. I'll keep an hybrid approach.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Overlord87 wrote:@carnage_lee: you have 4 free points in Sanity, 1 free point in Stability and Health. If I counted correctly you included those points in your 65 general abilities pool, while they're separate (and free). You then have 6 additional points to spend.
Since you have 10 points of Sanity, you have 3 pillars of Sanity (not 2). The rest is fine.
Whoops! OK, I've updated my pts. allocation.

Will work on 'pillars of Sanity' - something to do with his work... which is mostly debunking hauntings and phenomenon would these be acceptable (as a start?):

Science can explain everything (The absolute truth of the physical laws of the universe and scientific knowledge).

Staunch moral principles (Charlatans and deceivers must be exposed and brought to account).
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

carnage_lee wrote:
Whoops! OK, I've updated my pts. allocation.

Will work on 'pillars of Sanity' - something to do with his work... which is mostly debunking hauntings and phenomenon would these be acceptable (as a start?):

Science can explain everything (The absolute truth of the physical laws of the universe and scientific knowledge).

Staunch moral principles (Charlatans and deceivers must be exposed and brought to account).
The first one is perfect.

The second I would rephrase like: My work helps humanity/society by exposing charlatans and deceivers.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Overlord87 wrote:
The first one is perfect.

The second I would rephrase like: My work helps humanity/society by exposing charlatans and deceivers.
Pillars of Sanity added.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

carnage_lee wrote:
Pillars of Sanity added.
Perfect :D
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

One important thing: while this is not a Pulp campaign, strictly speaking, I've decided I want to have the Sources of Stability play a role. I'll get into the details later on, but for now I'd like for everyone to select your Sources - a name and a few words of description.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence Lanalor - updated

He is Clarence Lanalor, 35, from a noble family bloodline living in Boston, now having to make a living. He is persistant, cautious, but curiousity always gets the better of him.

Drive: thirst for knowledge
Male
Hit points:4

Sources of Stabilty:
wife
2 children
extended family

Pillars of Sanity:
Truth of physical world & Moral principals - His old tutor gave him a well rounded education, with a strong emphasis on maths, physics, and chemistry. Clarence enjoyed the classical history lessons, and understood these were strong moral lessons, ' act wisely and with compassion , least you be judged by others ' .
Bloodline purity - Having a large number of older, wiser, and wealthier, uncles and aunts, lead Clarence to believe it had something to do with family - in the blood.

Accounting 2

Law 4

Assess Honesty 4
Cop Talk 1
Credit rating 2
Interregation 1
Reassurance 2
Streetwise 1

Evidence Collection 1
Locksmith 4
Photography 4

Athletics 8
Conceal 4
Disguise 2
Driving 2
Firearms 6
Fleeing 3
Health 12
Piloting 3
Sanity 10
Stability 10
Scuffling 2
Shadowing 4
Steath 6
Weapons 4

that's it
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Ok laitang, that's fine, just define better your sources of stability: a name and a few words of description (it's ok to keep the two children as a single source of stability though, but give them a name; extended family needs to be better defined).
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Overlord87 wrote:Ok laitang, that's fine, just define better your sources of stability: a name and a few words of description (it's ok to keep the two children as a single source of stability though, but give them a name; extended family needs to be better defined).
Sources of Stabilty:
wife - Viola Lanalor, devoted and loving wife, tries to keep Clarence's curious nature in check.
2 children - Ethan and Harriet, both fast approaching their teens, mirrors of his wife and himself.
extended family - uncles: Wilbur, Regan, Ernest, aunts: Betty Bishop and Kate Tyr . As a child, Clarence was showered with gifts from his uncles and aunts, for birthdays and Christmas. But now as a man, they keep reminding Clarence he needs to support his family, thus show good example to his children, and not rely on handouts from the family.

:D
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

laitang wrote:
Overlord87 wrote:Ok laitang, that's fine, just define better your sources of stability: a name and a few words of description (it's ok to keep the two children as a single source of stability though, but give them a name; extended family needs to be better defined).
Sources of Stabilty:
wife - Viola Lanalor, devoted and loving wife, tries to keep Clarence's curious nature in check.
2 children - Ethan and Harriet, both fast approaching their teens, mirrors of his wife and himself.
extended family - uncles: Wilbur, Regan, Ernest, aunts: Betty Bishop and Kate Tyr . As a child, Clarence was showered with gifts from his uncles and aunts, for birthdays and Christmas. But now as a man, they keep reminding Clarence he needs to support his family, thus show good example to his children, and not rely on handouts from the family.

:D
Ok, good, but pick just one of your ancles/aunts. Maybe your favorite, or the one you spent more time with, or the one who taught you an important lesson. A source of stability should be a single person (I'll make an exception for the two children). The other uncles and aunts will be just part of your investigator's background.

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”