Strange Remnants

A cosmic alignment is coming, bringing with it humanity's doom. Singer Marie Lambeau, astronomer Norman Withers, politician Charlie Kane, and bounty hunter Tony Morgan must work together to try to save the world.

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Strange Remnants

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
Tony and his friends leave the shop. Looking back, he finds that it has mysteriously vanished! Before he has a chance to get his bearings, a strange white-furred beast rushes him from around a corner. He calmly sidesteps it, tackles it, and slaps his handcuffs on it.

"Well done," says an attractive dark-skinned woman who rounds the corner. "I'll take it from here."

"Who are you?" asks Tony, confused.

"I'm Marie Lambeau. I'm a friend of Norman's."

"Oh, okay." Tony has no reason not to take her at her word.
OOC,Horror check (Will 2 - 1[Ghast] + 2[Cultist's Journal] = 3 dice) encountering the Ghast. [dice]0[/dice] No Sanity lost. Spend 1 Focus to use Handcuffs. Ghast defeated. 1 Focus gained. 1 Clue and 1 Sanity gained. Ghast placed on Purifying the World. Observation check (Observation 4 - 1[Doppelganger] = 3 dice) encountering the Doppleganger. [dice]2[/dice] It's a shame that [b]Marie[/b] got devoured, but it fits thematically that this happened when the double took her place.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Norman obliterated the Cultist.
Marie got devoured, but it fits thematically
Eldritch Horror always has these coincidences. . . .

Diana still has to fight the Cultist and Wendigo. The 2nd Mystery is solved (thanks to Norman), let's see the flipped AO card.

2 Clues placed on sheet. Mystic Ruins deck shuffled--space 3 (Easter Island).

And our new team member:

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Diana Turn 11 Mythos Phase

Image Image and ImageImage--Horror 2, toughness 3 (Will +1, damage 1)

Horror Test Wendigo [dice]0[/dice] - 1 Success - lose 1 sanity.
Combat Wendigo [dice]1[/dice] - 3 Hits Defeat Wendigo and gains back one sanity.

Hunger Condition [dice]4[/dice] - Diana Gains a Hunger Condition.

Horror Test Cultist [dice]2[/dice] - Fail - Lose 2 Sanity
Combat Cultist [dice]3[/dice] - 3 Hits - Defeats cultist and gains back one sanity.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

A complex Combat, there are some adjustments to make (noted by Quatermass).

1 success for the Horror test vs. Wendigo is enough; Combat test has a -1 penalty, so deduct 1 die, therefore Diana scored 2 hits and the Wendigo is defeated but bites her for a 1 Stamina loss. Also she recovers 1 Sanity from Sword of Saint Jerome.

[dice]0[/dice]

Diana's passive ability reduces horror of Monsters to 1, so 1 Sanity loss for Horror test vs. Cultist. Also she recovers 1 Sanity from Sword of Saint Jerome.

All in all a net 1 Stamina loss and 1 Sanity gain.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 12, Action Phase, space 15

Action 1: gain Ship Ticket.

Action 2: Travel to space 11 and use Ship Ticket to continue on to Buenos Aires.

The ocean vessel departs Cape Town with an unusual steerage passenger, Akachi Onyele, the Shaman. Akachi, dressed in Nigerian robes and carrying her staff with its jingle cones, stands at the stern rail and peers down at the ship's wake. Night falls early, so early in fact that she wonders if the sun has been eclipsed. Has it started? she thinks, communicating her thought to the village dibia. She watches a delightful pod of dolphins at play in the churning, phosphorescent water.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Quatermass »

Turn 12 Action Phase

The signs and portents were there. The end was coming soon unless something is done. Norman and his colleagues busily send telegrams across the globe to warn those in power and with the skills to help. He only hoped there was time.......

1) Acquire Asset
[dice]0[/dice]
Gain
Spend 1 Clue and 1 Sanity to Retreat Doom by 1!!

2) Move to Space 20
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 12 Action Phase
"That book you carry," says Marie pointing to it. "Give it to me. I can make better use of it than you can."

"That book is a tool of the devil!" says Father Merluzzo. "Nobody should be using it."

"If we can use the devil's own tool against him," says Rebecca, "why shouldn't we? But I don't think we should give it to her. I don't trust her."
OOC,Action 1: Focus: 1 Focus gained. Action 2: T'tka Halot Component Action: Lore roll (2 dice): [dice]0[/dice] Reroll Lore die, spending 1 Focus: [dice]1[/dice] Reroll Lore die, spending 1 Focus: [dice]2[/dice] Reroll Lore die, spending 1 Clue: [dice]3[/dice] Reroll Lore die, spending 1 Clue: [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Diana Turn 12 Action Phase

Diana crumpled the scented letter from Charlie Kane’s assistant and sniffed. Join the cause… Travel the world… Save the world… What a pile of horse hooey…. That’s what they told her at least. It seemed to Diana, however, that Travel the world pretty much meant cart your belongings from Buenos Aires to The Amazon jungles and back…. rinse and repeat.
She had burned some bridges in Buenos Aires and sacrificed one to many innocent but if she was going to make it to Easter Island in time for the convergence, then the Bueos Aires port was the only way to go.

“At least I’ll have time to read through some of these old Tomes on the boat ride over”

Spoiler:
Diana travels to Buenos Aires and then uses her ship ticket to travel to Easter Island. There she spends an action to focus in preparation for her big Ruin encounter.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Turn 12 Encounter Phase

[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Quatermass on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 12 Encounter Phase
Tony flips through the pages of the ancient tome, but he can't make any sense of it. "It looks like gibberish to me," he says.

"I told you," says Marie, "I'm better suited to make use of it. Give me the book!"

"Now hold on a minute!" says Tony, glowering suspiciously at her. "How come you're so eager to get your hands on it? Something's hinky here. How do I know you're really who you say you are, anyway? I've never met you before. You're supposed to be a singer, right? Sing me a song."

Marie begins to sing, but it comes out off-key.

"Ah HA!" roars Tony, sucker punching her square in the face.

"It wasn't that bad," says Father Merluzzo.

Marie takes the punch, somehow still standing on her feet. "That proves she's an impostor! She's not even human! Nobody could withstand that blow without falling down. She didn't even flinch!"

"I Marie?" she says.

"How stupid do you think I am? Wait, don't answer that."

The thing impersonating Marie takes off at a run, fleeing down the streets and alleys of Istanbul.
OOC,Observation roll 4 - 1[Doppelganger] (3 dice) encountering Doppelganger, Turn 12: [dice]0[/dice] I just realized that I lost 1 Sanity last turn because I failed the Observation roll, so I'll mark that off on my Investigator sheet. Combat roll: Strength 3 + 2[Cultist's Journal] - 1[Doppelganger] (4 dice), encountering Doppelganger, Turn 12: [dice]1[/dice] 3 damage to Doppelganger! It now has 1 Health. I'll probably stay in Istanbul and try to finish it off next turn. If there's a Reckoning, the Mysterious Idol should be used on Child of the Goat.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 12, Encounter Phase, Buenos Aires

Observation 2 -1 [dice]0[/dice] lose 1 Sanity.

"You are a tourist no?" says one of the well-dressed guides who greet the passengers as they disembark.

"How ever did you guess?" answers Akachi, with a smile and a glance back at the ship.

"I have never seen anyone dressed so--so splendidly," he says, and bows. "Señor Madreda, tour guide to the fabulous city of Buenos Aires, at your service."

She re-ties her hair braids, giving herself time to think. "Akachi Onyele," she holds out a hand. "Thank you, Señor Madreda, your services would be appreciated. However I don't have long here and must soon depart for Easter Island"--Akachi speaks in the formal English she learned at colonial school.

"Not long in Buenos Aires?" he says, "then you must visit Rufina Cambaceres."

An hour later they enter Recoleta Cemetery. Wending their way among the tombstones they find an exquisite mausoleum of white marble with flowing bands sculpted upon it.

Madreda respectfully crosses himself like the good Catholic he is. "Here lies Rufina, who died after her beloved was unfaithful--a tragic tale of beauty."

"The statue of Rufina is lovely."

"She discovered her fiancé's affair with her mother," continues Madreda, "and collapsed and died from shock. However, the tragedy does not finish there, several days after the church ceremony and prior to burial scratch marks were discovered inside the coffin. It is now understood that Rufina suffered from catalepsy, and had been buried alive."

Akachi stares up at the marble face and wonders about the poor girl's mental anguish and physical suffering.

Addendum: I've run out of creative puff. Imagine Akachi entering the mausoleum and discovering the dark magic used by the guilt-ridden lover, and Rufina's spectral voice from beyond.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Diana Turn 12 Encounter Phase.

Diana stood in front of the great alter in absolute disbelief… She had come all this way to Easter Island only to be foiled by a massive block of stone. Coincidently it had one of those big stupid faces on it like the ones on the beach. But for all her effort she could not get the thing to budge. She now lay in front of the stone, blocking the entrance way to the ancient temple and the ritual that must be performed at midnight. She checked her watch. 11:59…. She had everything she needed to complete the ritual but just couldn’t reach the portal. She could feel the heat now through the stone and sighed. The stone began to crumble to dust as the unearthly fire began to surround her. Dianna laughed madly as she was engulfed in falme.

At least the stone went first. At least the stone went first!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

First Strength -1 Check - [dice]0[/dice] - Fail
Focus Token #1 - [dice]1[/dice] - Fail
Focus Token #2 - [dice]2[/dice] - Fail
Clue Token #1 - [dice]3[/dice] - Fail
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 12, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: green comet. Doom advances 3 (4 down to 1).

Reckoning effects: Monsters on the game board,

ImageImage 4 Health tokens
[dice]0[/dice]

When Doom advances to zero, investigators lose the game.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The solar eclipse has begun, shrouding the Earth in darkness. Azathoth's gaze falls upon humanity. . . .

Upon Easter Island a spout of flame reaches up to the sun. Far away Akachi, in Recoleta Cemetery, Buenos Aires, has a vision of a hooded woman burning incandescently, her melting mouth agape and stretched by a silent scream.

"It's all over," she says sadly, and then to Señor Madreda, "Soon we will be gone. Dead, all of us, forever." A twilight covers the city, and the cemetery looks suitably crepuscular.

Madreda shivers. "Quick, Miss Onyele, inside the mausoleum: it will offer us some protection?"

Akachi and Madreda shelter inside the marble edifice. Outside it becomes frighteningly black, and a chill, which will never cease, creeps over the land.

"How long," Madreda says, and gulps, "how long have we got?" He begins to strike a series of matches.

"When the food runs out," she answers, "humanity will starve to death; most of us will linger for a few weeks, the cannibals . . . who knows? I shall hang myself rather than suffer."

"Do you think," he says, wetting his lips and shooting Akachi a glance, "we could--er--you know---"

Akachi Onyele, in the flickering light cast by a guttering match, faces Madreda across the tomb of Rufina Cambaceres, her dark oval eyes visibly widen and she smiles, although she feels forlorn. "Men are such idiots," she says mockingly.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

A Black Eclipse rises in the west. Earthquakes and storms of acid rain sweep the land. Norman laughs and laughs as the world falls.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 12 Mythos Phase
Tony and his companions give chase, soon cornering the false Marie in a blind alley. "It's over," he says.

"Yes, you might say that," she says with a wicked grin. The sky suddenly darkens as the eclipse begins, and a gaping portal yawns in the wall behind her, through which a mix of colors swirl. "The stars have come right at last! Your world is doomed, foolish man, and it is my doing!"

"You've made one slight miscalculation - you're still on it!"

"Not for long." She steps backwards through the opening, vanishing from sight.

Fire begins to rain from the sky, lighting up the darkness a little. Without hesitation, Tony charges through the portal, followed by Rebecca and Father Merluzzo, into the unknown.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 3 - Strange Remnants”