TREMULUS a narrative game.

Who is Hezekiah Mason? What is it about him that turns people away?

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

TREMULUS a narrative game.

Post by Priest »

TREMULUS uses the Apocalypse World engine, a narrative system based on the idea that "When a player says that her character does something listed as a move, that’s when she rolls, and that’s the only time she does. The rule for moves is to do it, do it." And simply that is it.

TREMULUS is governed by the use of moves the characters make throughout the game. These moves are broad and flexible enough to cover all aspects of play: from gunfights and car chases, to flipping through an ancient tome while a leathery-winged beast smashes against the window, trying to get through.

The concept of moves may require an adjustment in how you may be used to gaming. Sit back. Don’t worry—this’ll be quick and painless.

When you make a move, you roll two six-sided dice and add an attribute. A 10+ is great, meaning you’re completely successful at whatever you were trying to do. A 7-9 usually means you were successful, mostly, but something else also happened, usually something you won’t like. A 6 or less means you failed, definitely something you’re not going to like. And it’s the Keeper’s job to make sure you won’t :twisted:

The Paradigm Shift
As noted above, TREMULUS is a player-facing game. This means that the Keeper will never roll dice. The player describes their action and rolls the dice and the resulting dice score determines the consequences of that act.

The Power of Narrative
Whenever a move takes place, it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. The player should describe what their character wishes to do, and the Keeper will explain what transpires, based upon the result of the player’s roll. Conversely, if a player says they do it, then they do it. Roll the dice, and deal with what happens. While success is clear-cut, things can get quite interesting on a partial success. And failure is always interesting.

Types of Moves
Basic Moves: Actions available to all characters.
Keeper Moves: Moves restricted to the Keeper, detailed further in the Keeper’s Section.
Lore Moves: Moves powered by the expenditure of Lore, allowing the characters to do some extraordinary things.
Special Moves: Each character has unique moves available only to them (found in each playbook).

Fiction First
Take the action to get its effect.
Narratively decide what you’re going to do, determine the most appropriate move, and roll the dice. If you decide to look through some dusty boxes in the attic, you Poke Around. Simple as that. Roll and see what happens.
Don’t think of things mechanically. Always think of things in terms of what your character would do in any given situation or circumstance, not what move you will take next. The move is fitted to the action.

Using Basic Moves
ACT UNDER PRESSURE (roll + reason)
When to use: whenever the character is under the gun, trying to maintain composure, or wanting to flee.
CONVINCE (roll + affinity)
When to use: whenever the character is in non-violent situation and wants to bring an individual around to her way of thinking, avoid a fight, or get someone to reveal a personal detail.
HELP/HINDER (roll + trust)
When to use: whenever the character wants to help out another character or prevent them from doing something.
POKE AROUND (roll + luck)
When to use: whenever the character wants to explore a new area, check for danger, or look for clues or items that are not obviously evident.
PUZZLE THINGS OUT (roll + reason)
When to use: whenever the character wants to piece together disparate pieces of information, draw conclusions from a clue, read an enemy, or figure out a group dynamic.
READ A PERSON (roll + passion)
When to use: whenever the character is engaged in conversation with someone and wants to figure out what’s really going on in their head or if they’re lying.
RESORT TO VIOLENCE (roll + might)
When to use: whenever the character has decided that the definite use of force is the only way to accomplish his ends.
THREATEN (roll + might)
When to use: whenever the character makes a promise of violence he is not afraid to keep.

Using Lore Moves
Characters may expend a point of Lore to use their Lore Move. Each playbook has a unique Lore Move the character begins with. The Lore Move allows you to push yourself farther and perform tasks normally beyond your abilities. Using your Lore may come with a secret cost that unfolds in play.

Consequences
Every time you attempt some action, it’s like trying to skip a stone across the water. You may get three or four skips. It might skip only once. It might slip out of your hand and hit your friend in the face. Or it might even bounce off a tree branch and hit the windshield of a passing police car. Or you might slip and fall into the water. Who knows? And the stone might sink to the bottom, causing some eldritch horror to stir in its slumber. Keep this in mind as you decide what you’ll do next.

Character Creation
1. Choose Playbook: pick the one you find most appealing, as long as no one else already has chosen it.
2. Choose Name: choose one from playbook or one of your own
3. Choose Look: as above
4. Choose Attributes: Pick a set that works with how you plan to play your character.
5. Choose Gear: Pick the stuff which best reflects your character. Certain things, like weapons, may be difficult (or impossible) to get in play, so factor that carefully into your decisions.
6. Choose Special Move: You get two, so choose wisely.
7. Review Lore Move: See what your uniqueness is all about. Who knows? It might save your life. Briefly.
8. Establish Trust: You begin with a number of Trust points to distribute equal to the number of players (not counting the Keeper) present. Assign a Trust score (from 0 to 3) to each character. You may not start with negative Trust in another character, though it may arise during play. Each Trust score represents your character’s faith and belief in the particular character, and serves to quickly establish relationships. Your Trust in others is used when you Help/Hinder them, so if you have Trust +2 in Meg, and she has Trust +1 in you, you’d roll +2 to Help/Hinder her while she would roll +1 to do the same for you.

Playbooks
The following characters (Playbooks) may be chosen from;

Alienist: You have studied at fine universities the world over. You know the inner workings of the human mind, and have a knack for uncovering people’s darkest secrets and deepest desires. You help to heal the soul, much as a doctor heals the body.

Antiquarian: You have spent your life studying antiquities, turning your interest into your occupation. Over the years, strange items have come into and out of your possession, and you know some things out there are truly evil. You fear what may happen if they fall into the wrong hands, and direct your energies into locking them away from prying eyes and dark dispositions. (Mr Handy)

Author: You are a writer of no small acclaim who devotes most waking moments to pondering the strangeness of this world, so it is no wonder you often have strange dreams that fade with the morning light. Your lustful curiosity has led you to come across occult texts filled with awfulness, only to discover such horror is real. (Supercape)

Detective: You’ve found missing heirs, lost children, and brushed up against more than a few weird things in your hunt for the truth (and a steady paycheck). You’ve been banged around a lot over the years. It comes with the territory. (Carnage_Lee)

Devout: You have been called to minister to a flock of souls who have lost their path. You have encountered evil in its many guises and know it falls upon those of strong heart and conviction to stay the course.

Dilettante: Born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you are filthy rich and jaded beyond your years. Your idle hours are filled with the pursuit of exotic entertainments, each more fantastic than the last. Your wealth allows you indulgences others only dream of. (Dr Peterson)

Doctor: You have more than a calling, you have a gift. You are a skilled healer who has decided to leave the grind of the big city behind in search of greener pastures.

Journalist: Your passion for digging deep to find stories has given you a reputation as a muckraker and a no-nonsense sort. You’re just willing to look where others aren’t…or won’t. You turn over rocks, look for skeletons in closets, and are concerned first and foremost with the truth. You discovered early on the truth is often ugly and harsh, and something most don’t want to hear. In this pursuit, you’ve learned a few unsettling things, things downright strange and weird, and you’ve collected those notes in a box for when you write your memoirs. Until then, you get your by-line when you can. (CrackheadC)

Professor: Learning is your greatest love, and you happily share your knowledge through teaching. You have taught in various colleges and universities across the country. Over the years, you have learned life is strange and history is often hysterical.

Playbooks can be downloaded for free here, (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/120 ... term=tremu) All of the various playbooks can be found within. Several of these are not used in this tale. Choose whichever Character you would like to play and download the appropriate playbook. But only one of any given playbook may be used, so, only one Professor, one Journalist and so on.

So, choose you character; dowload the playbook; study up; and once that is done we will move to the next part - Questions.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: TREMULUS a narrative game.

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd like to play the Antiquarian.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

He's all yours, please download the relevant playbook. It will tell you about his abilities, moves, lore etc.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

I will have a stab at author!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

All yours. Download the Playbook and work out your character.
- Anais Nin
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

If you'll have me, I'd be interested in giving this a go. I'd be interested in the Professor or the Journalist. I'll let DrPeterson pick first though since he joined prior to me.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Stick me on the list too, please, if there's room...
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

What ho, chaps!

I'll be the dilettante.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

So Dr P wants the Dilettante. He's all yours old boy, if you download the Playbooks you'll find all the information pertaining.

CracheadC, welcome aboard either the Professor or the journalist is yours, please choose one.

Lee: You are most welcome too and have the pick of the rest. You are the final victim player. Recruiting is now finished.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Super! I'm happy to pick after CracheadC has picked - I've downloaded the playbooks.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

carnage_lee wrote:Super! I'm happy to pick after CracheadC has picked - I've downloaded the playbooks.
Excellent.

Everyone:
Once you've had a chance to peruse your characters playbook please create a basic character sheet (as can be seen in the Characters section) from the information supplied in the playbook. All characters start with all the Base Moves, and two chosen from the special moves (Please choose wisely). Don't get hung up on gear, unless its some item specific to the character chosen. Same with Trust, as long as the points are allocated by the close of the first chapter that's fine. As there are five players you will all begin with 5 Trust Points (one point for each player).
- Anais Nin
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'm gonna go with the Journalist.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

CrackheadC. wrote:I'm gonna go with the Journalist.
Ok CrackheadC will play the Journalist

So Carnage_Lee has a choice of;
Alienist, Detective, Devout, Doctor or Professor
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Ok, put medown for the Detective, please.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

carnage_lee wrote:Ok, put medown for the Detective, please.
Done
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Just out of interest is there a 1 paragraph synopsis of the setting etc so to help refine character concept a bit?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Supercape wrote:Just out of interest is there a 1 paragraph synopsis of the setting etc so to help refine character concept a bit?
Untill the questions have been answered, next step after playbooks sorted, the only thing I know is what it says in the game recruitment blurb.

"The tale I am running is going to be called ‘The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason’ it will occur in a town called Ebon Eaves, somewhere in the USA sometime between 1925 and 1933."

At this stage of the adventure development you know as much as I, that's the beauty of TREMULUS the players create the story as they play.

Who is Hezekiah Mason? and why is he strange? All of you will tell me by answering a series of questions. :?
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

This is awesome. I love indie / non-trad systems!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

And we haven't even started the Story Building yet, for that there is the question and answer session. I pose a series of questions and your answers give me the information needed to detail the background of the tale. I'm so looking forward to that bit, so the sooner the characters are complete, the sooner we can begin :D
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Just finished mine! Not sure if we had to go with the names given in book, but honestly I was lacking inspiration anyway...

Return to “TREMULUS - 'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason'”