'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason' - chpt 1

Who is Hezekiah Mason? What is it about him that turns people away?

Moderator: Priest

Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Re: 'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason' - chpt 1

Post by Supercape »

"My intentions are less noble, madam, I confess!" said Harry, slumped and recovering his breath. "I believe Hezekiah Mason left his last art on his person. It would be a shame to deprive the world of his art. Even if its acquisition would be by ungentlemanly means. I hope that does not make us at odds, Madam" he said, hopefully.

"There, my cards on the table and laid true and honest. Hezekiah was, well, I dare say a friend, of sorts. He held queer company but we knew each other well enough and I dare say he considered me a friendly soul. The old devil did depart this world under odd circumstance, and it seems his strangeness has not fled with his death. And out of respect of whatever friendship we had, I would know exactly who and what resides in his old home..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, at least you are not after the dagger," says Anne. "It should never again see the light of day."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Tommy Stone

Tommy listened as the fat man 'sang', dagger, art... there was something fishy going on here; why had Tommy been engaged to acquire Mason's signet ring? The more he thought about it the more bizarre the request seemed, only his lack of funds and paying clients had spurred him into taking the commission. Not that Tommy was above 'bending' a few laws in the pursuit of his investigations but agreeing to rob a corpse was further over the line than he would normally be prepared to step. Tommy could smell a rat, and this one was huge the veritable 'King Rat'.

As he thought things through the candles flickered in a sudden draught, shadows danced across the walls of the dimly lit church making strange humanoid shapes that seemed to be mocking his musings.

With his mind made up he coughed to clear his throat "It seems that I too have a macabre confession to make." He tips back his hat and looks at the others in turn before continuing. "I was engaged to retrieve an item from the person of Hezekiah Mason circumstances meant that I was late to the undertakers and could not ... well suffice it to say, my only option was to come here tonight and gain he item through unconventional means, much like our friend here. " Tommy indicates Harry with a wry smile.

"So... I'm wondering if we have all been manipulated to congregate here... at this place... at this hour." Turning to Anne "You said 'possessions' before and 'dagger' just now, so that's what concerns you, how did you become aware of this item?" Tommy points to the fat author "And you sir... how did you come to know that Mason had his last work interred with him?"
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

"A letter. Sent to me the day before he died. Mad ramblings, most of it. In honesty, I could barely read it; the writing was tremulous and faint, like a man beset by insanity or terror, or a fever. And yet, in it, some grains of wit. He referred to his last work, Beyond the Veil of Perception. He alluded that it was a work of horror, doubly so because it was a truth that no man should see. He determined that it would go with him to the grave..."

Harry shuddered. "And like a moth to a flame, I could not resist. I am a writer of horror, and could not drag myself away from this piece, no matter how grisly the manner of acquisition..."

"Knowing Hezekiah, he could well have manipulated us. He was a genius, although a crazed one..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hezekiah Mason would sometimes visit my shop, and we talked about antiques," says Anne to Tommy. "He showed me his antique dagger once, and I researched its provenance. There is a legend attached to the dagger. It is said that it can grant you your heart's desire - but only if you kill someone with it. I don't believe it would actually work, but there are people who do. They would stop at nothing to get the dagger, and when they did, they would commit murder with it. If I find it first, I can lock it away in my shop's vault, where it will be safe. I had made several offers to buy it from Hezekiah, but he would always refuse. After I made my last, best offer, he told me that he would not sell it at any price, and he vowed to take it to his grave. I don't think that was just a colorful turn of phrase. He actually meant it. Perhaps whoever hired you is really after the dagger. Who is this person?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Tommy Stone

Tommy nods as he listens to Harry as he explains how he came to know about 'Beyond the Veil of Perception' before he can comment Anne pipes up, with her story. He ponders things for a few seconds, thumb and fore-finger stroking his chin as he tries to work through things.

"Well, it's certainly strange... the timing of events if nothing else. OK, I was approached yesterday by a well-to-do sort, calling himself Nathanial Nemo he span me a story about being a relative of Mason the signet ring being an heirloom and it ought to have been passed down to Nemo but Mason was shall we say 'estranged' from the rest of the family. he shrugs as he summarises what happened in his office the previous day.

"So... what about the rest of you..." he asks pointedly.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

I am here on church business explains Sister Frances Mary Hezekiah Mason was well known to us and we have observed him from afar for many years.

His...dabblings..and writings around the occult have raised questions and caused concern for my superiors in the church. The archbishop, the bishop of this diocese, instructed me to discover what was to be buried with his body, determine its nature and if necessary to place it in the care of the church.

It is no secret that Mr. Mason was said to have made a deal with the devil, it is thought the instrument that he used to invoke the demon or possibly even to bind the contract would be buried with him.

As servants to God's flock, as good shepherds, it is our duty to protect the innocent and remove such instruments of temptation and damnation from the weak souls that we guard.

I am not sure of what I am exactly seeking, it may the dagger that is powered by sacrifice, the signet ring or even the manuscript itself may contain revealing passages or clues as the contract he bound himself with but I am charged with discovering it and placing it safely within the church.

As to why I am here at midnight? I was delayed by this inclement weather and with no elsewhere to stay chose to wait in the church, in contemplation with the Lord, until the good pastor arrived in the morning.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nathaniel Nemo," muses Anne. "Like Captain Nemo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Nemo is Latin for 'No one.' I think it's likely that is not the man's real name. Can you describe him?" She nods to Frances Mary. "You have my full support, Sister. Whatever items Mr. Mason may have had that are dangerous need to be put away somewhere safe, whether it's the dagger or some other item. I had been planning on locking the dagger away in my shop's vault, but if the church is willing to guard it, that suits me just fine. I wouldn't feel comfortable about keeping something like that under my roof anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Other than yourselves the church is empty, and alarmingly silent. Someones pocket watch chimes the hour - midnight. By now the pickup will be several miles away, its engine noise and headlights no more than a faded memory. Outside it seems as quiet as a, well, graveyard.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Tommy Stone

Tommy shivers, the Church seems to be getting colder somehow more oppressive, was that due to the late hour or the subject of their various quests.

"So I had a visit from 'Mr No One' ... did I, well he was a 'someone' .. old.. in his 60's and tall, thin but well built, not frail looking I mean." Tommy indicates someone who would be slightly taller than himself, maybe 6' tall. "thin face and lips, narrow ling nose... dark piercing eyes." he replies to Anne's question.
Tommy Stone thinking:   'Something off with the good Sister's story... OK it seems [i]Mason[/i] was into some weird things, everyone seems to agree on that part and if you accept that then it's not beyond the realm off possibility that the Church would take an interest in such a person. But why send someone to just see what was buried with him... what about his other possessions; sounds like the Bishop had some concrete information? And why wait here in this cold church over-night, just because you arrived late? It doesn't look like I can get this lost to move out on their own accord...'  
"Looks like we all want to see what's been buried with Mason and if the good Sister is on the level She has the authority to get the grave exhumed.. so why don't we get on and do that?"
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Harry felt his lungs had just recovered, and was ill inclined to test them further.

"An excellent idea. I'll keep lookout whilst you dig".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You have legal permission to exhume the body, Sister?" asks Anne. "It may be a bit unorthodox to dig up a body in the middle of the night, but at the same time it's rather strangely fitting. All right, let's get started."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

As if in answer to Anne's suggestion a gentle tapping sound comes from the windows. It seems the rain that had the burial of Hezekiah Mason, has come to take part in any exhumation of his corpse.
OOC:   A nice description of Tommy Stone's 'Mr No -One'. Does his description awaken any memories of such a person to any other of you?  
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'd better move quickly, before the rain gets worse," says Anne. "At least the damp earth will be easier to dig."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Priest wrote:
OOC:   A nice description of Tommy Stone's 'Mr No -One'. Does his description awaken any memories of such a person to any other of you?  
OOC:   Kind of hoping someone says.... that's remarkably like Mason  
OOC:   We're missing a reveal from Rebecca - I don't think anyone will be willing to exhume the body without hearing from her.  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Mr. Stone church business does not grant me authority to exhume the body. All I stated was that I wished to examine what was to be buried with Mr Mason.

I arrived too late to do so. Now that the body is in the ground, I would need to apply to the bishop to exhume it or to a local judiciary if there were compelling legal reason to do so.

I personally do not have the authority to do so. I am here at the bishop's bidding not as his representative, I do not speak with his authority.
she smiles warmly at him.

She then winks at him Of course, I might be able to persuade the bishop to grant the exhumation license retrospectively...
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   (I am writing this for Crakkhead's character to move the story forward)  
Rebecca Conners steps forward, casually brushing at some imaginary dirt on her raincoat sleeve. The dull flickering candlelight reflects on her somewhat refined features giving her eyes a determined, inquisitive cast.
"I am here to find out just what Hezekiah Mason died of, was his death fair or foul?" She gazes towards Tommy Stone, "I see you have a spade Mr Stone. May I suggest we cease any pointless debate and begin our task? After all..." she pauses and listens to the sound of the rain on the windows, "...the sooner we start the sooner we finish"
She steps towards the door passing the still heavilly breathing man and slides something from her coat pocket. A small flashlight which she proceeds to turn on. "Shall we?"
OOC:   What do you do?
Does Tommy's 'Mr No-ONe' remind anyone of Mason? Harry Blake knew Mason best.  
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, I suppose, Sister," says Anne. "And the Church is all about forgiveness. Let's go," Anne follows Rebecca outside into the rain.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Outside the limited comfort of the church the graveyard looks as inviting as before, just wetter. Raindrops drip incesantly from the bushes that line the footpath, probably adding a dash of colour to the drab surroundings in the daylight, but now adding nothing more than a pool of shadows which seem to writhe and twitch in the darkness.
Retracing your steps to the grave of Hezekiah Mason is simple, even the dark does little to mask the freshness of the grave. The heaped mound of wet earth still retains a few waterlogged flowers left by the few mourners. One still tied bunch sports a small card its writing smeared by the rain.

Hardly a sound breaks the silence of the place, even the nightbirds seem to have retired to a sheltered, dry perch. Yet there is a sound, maybe scratching somewhere distant...

OOC:   What do you do?
Does Tommy's 'Mr No-ONe' remind anyone of Mason? Harry Blake knew Mason best.  
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Harry stroked his beard, pondering the "Mr. No One".

"That face, sounds like Hezekiah himself" he said. "If the old man had lost a few dozen pounds". Hezekiah had been, if not as corpulent as Harry, a man who was of "robust" build throughout his life. He had a well known fondness for exotic meats, and Harry recalled how he would slowly masticate and savour rich and fatty cuts with a black joy to his eye.

But thin lips, that nose, and those piercing dark eyes. Yes, that was Hezekiah. The right age too.

He shuddered. Did Hezekiah have a brother? or had something eaten him up in his last days? Or was the thin and emaciated man described by Tommy Stone a ghostly shadow of the man himself? There was something about sustenance that kept cropping up in Hezekiah's work, be it food, or more spiritual essence. The talk of a soul-sucking dagger did little to calm his disquiet.

Return to “TREMULUS - 'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason'”