Page 1 of 1

'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason' - chpt 1

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:37 pm
by Priest
'The Strageness of Hezekiah Mason'

Chapter 1 - An event.

OOC:   We begin our tale in media res and in honour of Apocalypse World's first, and possibly, most important Principle 'Play to find out what happens'.

Our tale had started some two days ago with a funeral. That of one of the nation’s most underated, although in some people’s opinions overated, talents of the century, Hezekiah Mason, much hated, rarely liked, yet seldom ignored, who had at the age of 83 finally succumbed to the relentless tread of age, and gone to whichever destination awaited him.

The funeral had been perfect for a man who had snubbed his nose at the religious norms of polite society with his opera ‘Lucifers Claw’, play ‘The cage’ and his many other minor works both on paper and stage that focused on perhaps the darker aspect of human nature and the eternal conflict between good and evil. It had rained, a steady, cold, dismal, November rain that swept in from the north accompanied by a chill wind that denied the few mourners even the small comfort of an umbrella. Weather conditions that had turned a graveside rendition of ‘Shall we gather...’ from a mournful dirge to something akin to a dancehall song in the attendees haste to be gone from that cold, wet cemetery.

Now here you are again. The rain has stopped, thankfully, although the ground away from the gravelled pathways squelches and slurps with every footstep. If in daylight this place had looked a miserable spot to have to wait for the judgement call, at this time of the night, with the moon and stars hidden behind scudding cloud it looked positively awful. You can’t help but notice how Harry Blake, the author chap, keeps looking nervously about as if in expectation of seeing some spirit materialise before him – too vivid an imagination perhaps? Although to be fair to him he had joined this enterprise with all the enthusiasm of a schoolboy on an adventure.

There it is, the still fresh if damp mound of earth that marks the final resting place of Hezekiah Mason. Somewhere below that pile of mud and slime lies the coffin that you had watched lowered into the ground two days back, and within that coffin, beside a decaying corpse, is the thing for which you have risked so much…

What is it you seek?
What do you do?

OOC:   Please use the OOC section for any character discussion, as to what or how you move on. This section should only be for narrative. :D  

Re: 'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason' - chpt 1

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:34 pm
by Supercape
Harry stroked his beard, feeling the urge to light up. He had left his pipe at the guest house, probably because scurrying out of the guest house in the middle of the night would be something that Mrs Butterfield would *tut* at, and probably burn his eggs for breakfast in the morning.

Knowing Mrs Butterfields' ears, he imagined that she would have heard him anywhere. The damn woman ran a superb guest house, but had a habit of tutting and going to Church with a zeal that Harry found unwholesome.

He recalled the last letter he had received from the mysterious Hezekiah Mason. He would not say they were close, but they had met a few times and exchanged a few words and letters. Harry was more of a gutter author, churning out cheap but well liked horror novels. But despite this, he was a great big fat affable man, who just got on with people. Including Hezekiah Mason.

"Beyond the Veil of Perception". That was what Hezekiah had alluded to. Harry had no idea if it was an opera, a poem, a play, or just a mad rambling. But he knew he wanted it.

And as far as he could determine, it was buried with Hezekiah Mason, sewn into his Jacket.

He would need a spade. And ideally a man fitter than he to use it. And ideally a lack of witnesses.

He needed a gravedigger. A gravedigger who would do some dishonest work for honest sterling in the middle of the night. And it was time to find one. Harry walked, stumbling with excitement, towards that very man...

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne Dewar arrives at the cemetery on foot, only to find that a man has already gotten here ahead of her. In the darkness, she cannot identify him. Is he here for the dagger? she wonders. She isn't sure what she should do. Confronting him could be dangerous, but she cannot allow him to take the dagger. Still, he hasn't tried to dig up the grave yet. Biding her time, she watches from behind a tree to see what he will do next.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:46 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy was glad that the rain had finally stopped, his work this night was foul enough without getting sodden while he was about his macabre task. As he pulled up a short distance from the cometary gates, his car rattling and wheezing as if in protest at being driven about at this hour. He pondered the events that had led him here at this time, true he needed t he work but this was a far cry from his usual cases; the promised pay-off was almost treble his normal fee, and for one day or rather night's work.

Stepping out of his car and cursing under his breath as his foot splashed into a puddle.. 'perhaps I ought to have asked for half up front' he says to himself, shaking his foot to clear any water, he can feel his toes are wet and makes a note to buy some nice new shoes after he gets paid. He imagines counting the money after handing over Mason's signet ring... too bad that to get it he would have to become a 'grave-robber'. If only his car hadn't broken down earlier in the day, the delay meant that Mason's body had already been interred before he arrived, missing the chance to retrieve the ring from the body whilst paying his respects.

Taking a long handled spade from the boot of his car he marches back towards the cemetery gates, avoiding the puddles where he can.

In the gloom ahead he makes out a shape... amongst the grave markers, someone else is here in the cemetery!

Tommy lets out a curse under his breath, he should have been more careful and looks about for somewhere to secret himself and hopefully remain hidden.

His heart heart sinks as the shape turns and starts to make it's way towards him, the shape is revealed to be a man as the figure steps onto the path, something of the man's features seem familiar... someone from the funeral perhaps.

Tipping the brim of his hat back with a forefinger Tommy waits to see what this man wants..

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne observes the new arrival approach the other man. This one has a shovel! she thinks. They must be in this together! They're going to dig up the dagger! When I made Hezekiah Mason my last best offer to buy it, he told me he wouldn't sell it at any price, and he vowed to take it to his grave. He must have meant that literally! But what can I do? I can't possibly stop two men all by myself...I'd better keep watching them, wait for an opportunity. I don't really have anything to dig up the grave, nor the strength. I'm better off letting them do the work.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:48 pm
by CrackheadC.
Rebecca Conners trudges up to the cemetery, camera in hand and shovel on her back. "This is my chance at the big times," she thought. She had spent much of the day planning her excursion, over a light lunch of pea soup and bread she had finally decided. "I need to dig him up for proof."

Rebecca had been a small-time journalist at a tabloid rag. She interviewed some people who thought their house was haunted, wrote a couple penny-dreadful-esque stories, and wrote reviews of novels. It seemed her career was cheap to an outsider, but to Rebecca it was a dream. She was a true believer, monsters and ghosts, good and evil, hauntings and magic - these were all real and if she could just prove it, people would take her seriously. Rebecca had heard all the rumors that Hezekiah's horror works were based on his own life, even though he denied it, and she was sure that one of the evil religious-analogues in his lesser known stories were real and snuffed him out for exposing them. "Could it be the Wizards of the Striped Star? The Brothers of the Sea? The Golden Moon? It couldn't be one of the three Abrahamic religions could it?" Rebecca thought, "In that box will be the answers. They'll see that it wasn't 'old age' that killed him. There will be proof of foul play and proof that his stories were real."

Rebecca stomps through the cemetery and nearly loses her boots to the mud. She hits the ground with a light thud as she struggles to free her boots and gives off a gasp when she notices other people in the graveyard.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

Anne watches with interest as a woman shows up, also carrying a shovel. Is everyone after the dagger? she wonders. I need to hear whatever they say to each other! Silently, she creeps closer, using the trees and gravestones for cover.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:47 pm
by Supercape
carnage_lee wrote:Tommy Stone

His heart heart sinks as the shape turns and starts to make it's way towards him, the shape is revealed to be a man as the figure steps onto the path, something of the man's features seem familiar... someone from the funeral perhaps.

Tipping the brim of his hat back with a forefinger Tommy waits to see what this man wants..
Harry almost had a heart attack when he spotted Tommy, and froze solid in his tracks.

"Who goes there?" he said in a hoarse voice, cursing himself for using such a worn out phrase. He would have added "Friend or foe?" but that could mean he would have to listen to a most unwelcome answer.

Still frozen, he had the horrible feeling that the Graveyard was alive with people; shadows and whispers all around him.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

So, Anne thinks, they're not working together after all. Are they going to kill each other over the dagger? If they do, at least they're already in a cemetery!

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 pm
by Priest
A night bird, possibly an owl, screams out into the darkness. Not close, but near enough to panic you momentarily. Every second you delay increases the risk of discovery. The sheriff, Otis Farmberger, may be old, fat and more than a little lazy, but there is a vicious look in his eye that speaks of a bullies delight in the infliction of pain. Also his deputy is younger, fitter, and takes his duties far more seriously, showing more than a little interest in the 'outsiders' who have suddenly arrived in town.

All around the night seems alive with shadow and sound, was that something moving over there by the looming cross shaped headsone? Was that a squelching footstep off to your left?

What do you do?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:21 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy almost jumps as the man calls out 'The fool... why doesn't he keep quiet' he thinks.

About to hiss an angry retort for the man to be quiet Tommy stops ... what was that noise? The sudden screech of an owl makes him jump, almost making him drop his spade.

"Did you hear that?" he whispers hoarsely "We're not alone... did you bring anyone else with you?" he asks. Turning, he points over to his left; he motions the other person to follow... Tommy is determined to discover if anyone else is in the cemetery on this dark night.
Tommy Stone - Poke About: (roll+luck(+2)),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 pm
by Priest
Tommy Stone glances around trying to see if the moving shadows are persons, or simply tricks of the imagination. He counts three possibles at least two of which seem to be women, however in his attempts to clarify things he dislodges a balanced headsone which lands with a mixture of a crash and splatt that echoes acroos the dark infested graveyard with a volume that could wake the tenants of the nearby graves.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:33 pm
by Supercape
"what..me...I...er..." stumbled Harry, nerves prickling him. He felt like he was in one of his books.

He steeled himself. He had faced far far worse than this night. Admittedly, he had faced them in his dreams and nightmares and vivid imaginations, but still.

He followed Tommy; the man seemed to be a friend.

"I'm Harry...Harry Blake" he explained, warming himself up and trying to keep up. "Devil of a night. Typical of Hezekiah..." he said, wondering exactly what Tommy was up to...

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Terrified, Anne dares not show herself now. Who could that be? she thinks. Is it the sheriff? Or someone worse? While staying hidden herself, she peers into the darkness in the direction of the footstep, trying to see who might have produced it.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy looks about carefully trying to pierce the gloom, he's sure that there are more people about. As he thought, the cemetery was playing host to more people; turning to the other man he prepares to let him know that they are not alone. Disaster strikes, he momentarily loses his balance as one foot slips on a patch of mud, one hand shoots out to steady himself clutching at a nearby headstone. He manages to keep his balance but in his haste to remain upright he knocks over a headstone that was balanced. The noise of that falling monument as hits the sodden ground seems to reverberate all around. He lets out another curse.

The other man introduces himself... the name seems familiar. "Stone.. you can call me Stone." he says "We're not alone you know, there's three people out there..." he adds keeping his voice low. 'So, this guy mentions Mason, coincidence... I bet not, something fishy going on here.. is this a setup?' he wonders.

"OK.. you can all come out, we've seen you .. so why don't you show yourselves?" he calls out into the night.

"I'm sure two of them a women, but be prepared.." Tommy says in a lower voice to Blake, making the other man his ally, for now at least.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:47 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary walks through the lych-gate of the cemetery, noting the car parked outside.

She walks slowly along the sodden path, her cane clicking with each step as she leans on it. As she continues along the path she hears a crash of stone and then shortly after a man's voice calling out.

What on earth is going on? she thinks to herself It seems the good Bishop was correct and there are a few other parties interested in our late departed Hezekiah Mason

She continues along the path, making no effort to conceal her movements and then stops when she sees the two men conversing.

Good evening gentleman! she calls cheerily What brings you to a cemetery in the middle of a cold wet night? she starts walking towards them again.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:03 pm
by Supercape
"I regret I am no pugilist, Mr Stone. What am I going to do in a fight, smother them?" whispered Harry to "Stone", patting his magnificent belly. He was short of breath just walking around the graveyard.

"Oh lord, it would be a nun..." he mumbled under his breath as he saw the Sister approaching.

The damn play could wait. At least a little while.

He called out in a firmer, friendly voice. "I didn't know it was Halloween, ladies and gentlemen and assorted lurking shadows. This evening feels like a Witches Cabal from a comedy production of Macbeth. And more importantly, its cold, its wet, and I'm tired. I fancy a cup of something hot, perhaps with some whisky in..." he declared to all and sundry.

"Sister, I think Hezekiah Mason continues to exert his fame, or infamy, even when gone from this world. I doubt this will be the last night Hezekiah will draw moths to his grave in the middle of the night. He had..he has an attraction to the inquisitive. I recall his poem By moonlight undying...you may have many a fan, admirer, or obsessive trying to reenact that little masterpiece...."

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy has to stop an incredulous laugh as the nun calls out to them. The events were becoming more and more surreal and there were still at least two more people trying to remain concealed nearby. He listens to Blake as he answers her question.. the man does seem to be quite nervous.

"Well isn't this turning out to be a right 'shindig'?" he says somewhat sarcastically "It seems that we three have an interest in Hezekiah Mason and I'd wager that the other souls hereabouts, have the same fascination that we do." he continues, hand sweeping to indicate the locations that he had spied earlier.

The real question ought to be.. are we here to help or hinder each other?" he cocks an eyebrow as he asks his telling question, while wondering just who Hezekiah Mason was and what could possibly draw so many people to his graveside, so soon after the internment.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Realizing that she's been spotted, Anne comes out of hiding. At least I'm in plenty of company here, she thinks. "So, what is your interest in the grave of Hezekiah Mason?"

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:12 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"Aha, one of the lurkers has come into the light... welcome." he says jovially, tipping his hat.

"I think you've hit the nail on the head ma'am... Hezekiah Mason but I think we should hold our tales, unless everyone is prepared to show themselves. By my reckoning there's at least one person still secreted about the tombstones..." once again he points in the general direction of where he believes someone to be hidden.

"Confessions may be good for the soul... but not with eavesdroppers." he favours Sister Frances Mary with a wry smile.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 am
by Priest
Shadows thicken and seem to move to the east where there is no entranceway. Soft noises break the silence of the graveyard. Is that something slithering or merely a rustling in the longer untended grass near the wall?

Far off in the night the sound of a car labouring to ascend nearby Stone Hill, could it be Farmberger on a patrol? Or worse his oh so efficient deputy Cable?

Time slips slowly away, nearby the clock that adorns the crooked steeple of the town's church strikes one, the chimes fading into the moonless sky.

You can't help but think this is no night to be hanging around a cemetery.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:49 pm
by Supercape
"By Moonlight Undying in pale repose, My body is dust and my bones shadows, My grave is no end nor ever shall be, By Moonlight undying I return to thee...."

Harry gulped. It had seemed a bit of typical Hezekiah romantic nonsense when read on a cosy summers day. Right now when he quoted it, it felt much more spooky. A ghost in moonlight, returning to his love...

He shook his head.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Dark, wind and rain have a most turgid effect on the soul. And this is no hour for respectable folk. Perhaps we could retire to somewhere warmer and lighter? Perhaps the church could offer sanctuary whilst we swap tales?"

Harry had no particular love for the Gothic, crumbling church ahead, but on the other hand, it was more respectable for a gentleman to be found in a Church in the middle of the night than trudging around a graveyard in search of a shovel...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think that would be better than standing out here in the open trying to have a conversation," says Anne. "The church sounds good to me."

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:44 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy joins his new companions in the short walk to the church, it looked like he would have to return tomorrow night to carry out his task and claim the signet ring. Their soft footfalls were swallowed by the dark to be replaced by the rustling of branches as the wind blew through the trees. After a few minutes the somewhat sinister shape of the church loomed out of the gloom. The large black oak door stood closed between the fluted columns of the entrance, the stained glass windows robbed of their colour by the night looked like blank staring eyes.

"Well, here we are then...." it looked like the church was locked up tight, so they weren't quite in the shelter that they sought.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary takes a thoughtful look at the group assembled in front of the church My what a strange gathering Mr Mason has roused, I wonder what they all want and more strangely what brought them all here at this precise same time

She approaches the church's door and tries the handle, smiling as she says This is God's house, a place of safety and sanctuary, the door should never be locked, the large handle turns in her hand, the door swings inwards on its hinges. She steps in and to the side and waves the group forward Come, come, there is nothing to fear here, God spreads His love to all

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:01 pm
by Supercape
"God always struck me as a generous fellow with his Love" replied Harry, walking into the Church. There was a certain antiquity to the building, which stood defiantly despite the crumbling masonry. It looked like it had been patched up more than once.

Of course, in the dark and the rain, any Chruch would have a certain Gothic quality, but this one seemed awash with it. Footsteps and words echoed in a dull and sombre manner from its stones.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:00 pm
by CrackheadC.
Rebecca sauntered up to the church with a sheepish look about her face, thoroughly defeated by the weather, pants covered in mud and one boot sloshing with water. The building's age surprised her, she didn't think there would be many churches around with gothic features. For some reason though, it reminded her of the unassuming little shrines and churches that would dot the pilgrimage roads, though that could just be because of the eclectic group that was gathering.

She carefully leaned her shovel against the stonework lining the door and smiled, "Room for one more, sister?"

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:01 pm
by Supercape
Ah! A Shovel! And someone to do the digging! thought Harry, eyeing up Rebecca and pleased to do so. With a bit of luck, she could do all the hard work!

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:05 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary smiles warmly at Rebecca Of course my dear

She looks out of the door Well it seems you're the last of our merry gathering she closes the door.

Shall we move further into the church, out of this draughty hallway and get to know each other a bit better? she walks down the church aisle towards the altar, genuflects and crosses herself before the iconography of Christ and then takes a seat on one of the pews.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Sister," says Anne, beginning to relax a little now that she's inside the church and in the presence of Frances. If you can't trust a nun, she thinks, who can you trust? "My name is Anne Dewar. I own an antique shop." She looks around, admiring the old decor and unconsciously appraising it, though she has no intention of stocking any of it.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:25 pm
by Priest
The interior of the church seems at odds with its neglected appearing exterior, obviously an attempt has been made to keep the interior in a relatively good condition. Although here and there an odd cracked floor tile or dark stain of water damage does reflect the building's age.
Luckilly a few candles are burning close to the altar making shadows dance with each draught. Little pinpricks of reflected light glitter in the high stained glass windows. The candle light is not enough to draw attention from without but sufficient to allow a limited view of the interior.
OOC:   What does the inside look like? Is there anything odd within?.  

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

Anne peers at the darkened stains on the floor, adjusting her glasses. Something about the stains by the altar looks off, so she takes a closer look. "Are these stains...blood?" she asks, choking back a gasp.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:27 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy shivers, the inside of the church feels distinctly chillier than outside. He spins round at Anne's exclamation, "Blood... surely not.." he says looking at the Nun, "You must be mistaken." Tommy doesn't move nearer to find out though.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 pm
by Priest
Outside the unmistakeable sound of an engine is followed by the reflection of headlights in the side windows of the church. Fro the angle of the reflection it would seem the lone vehicle had just turned Cooper's corner ready to begin the slight decline of Main Street at the end of which is the church.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:29 pm
by Supercape
"Expecting company, anyone?" asked Harry, peering out of the Church window at the light beams.

"'tis a funny question I grant you, as this night seems to have attracted more than its far share of odd folks" he suggested, gazing at the motley crew of would be grave-robbers.

"But still I ask it! I would hope none of you have particular fear of a fat buffoon like myself" he explained, pointing a chubby finger at himself. "And none of you have yet to raise fist or firearm towards my handsome face. But that does mean less scrupulous folks would not. Hezekiah had a mountain of Aztec Gold under his house, by the reputable account of the ocean of ill founded rumours that circled him. I would hazard a guess that means he would be attractive to the less charitable and polite type of Gentlemen..."

Harry had not come to the graveyard without fear. Not particularly of any spooky sort of stuff; he had written enough horror to fancy he would face a ghost with a degree of amusement. No, no, it was a fear of being punched in his face by a graverobber.

Which, technically speaking, he was too. And probably so were half or more of the folk in the Church. It was just they seemed gentlemen. Or ladies.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're right, it's not blood at all," says Anne. "It's water, probably from a leak in the roof. The discoloration could be due to rust." When she hears the vehicle approaching, she turns to look. "I'm certainly not expecting any more company, but like you said, it could be someone after some valued possession of Hezekiah Mason's."

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:52 pm
by Priest
The approaching cars lights halt on the road outside the church. For a moment the engine continues to tick over before it is shut off, followed by the lights. You hear a car door being closed with a thud, no attempt at being quiet there, followed a few moments later by the squeal of unoiled hinges and the unmistakeable sound of footsteps on the gravelled path outside...
What do you do?

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:36 pm
by Supercape
"'Tis a night for skulking in the shadows it seems" commented Harry. "I'd scurry myself off into a Priests hole or something, if my fondness for beer and meat had not graciously given me such a formidable frame" he sang, patting his belly.

"Well, I hope this gentleman or lady is of friendly disposition. Or, if not, I hope they shoot me in the belly rather than the head" he said, boldly walking to the Church Doors and opening them.

"Come on in! God loves you!" he sang out to the darkness.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne looks on in shock as Harry deliberately exposes himself to danger. "Being shot in the gut just means a slower and more painful death," she says. Considerably slimmer than the corpulent man, she conceals herself behind a large stone statue, one that would also provide cover in the event that shooting did ensue.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:00 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary watches as Harry moves back up the aisle, thinking There's a poor soul who has succumbed to the sins of the flesh.

She listens as he calls out his greeting, whilst sitting calmly on the pew, intrigued as to who is next to join this strange night.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:48 pm
by Priest
As if in answer to Harry's invitation the gravel crunching footsteps halt just ouside the door. For a moment the handle of the door starts to turn then halts. Almost immediately fast moving footsteps can be heard moving away from the door towards the churchyard gate and the road beyond.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:48 pm
by CrackheadC.
"Perhaps the visitor didn't agree with God's love," Rebecca added while moving towards a window, "this is hallowed ground after all, perhaps he couldn't stand much more of it." You can't be quite sure whether the woman is joking or truly believes in the protection of the divine - and the requisite evil that accompanies it.

Rebecca tries to get a good look outside to see if she can glimpse their quickly retreating visitor.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne emerges from her hiding place and looks through a window, also trying to get a look at whoever is fleeing.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:52 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy moves up to the door as he sees the handle of the heavy door start to turn, bracing himself to deal with a potentially hostile interloper. 'This cemetary seemed to be attracting a lot of people, coincedence... or was the recent interrment of Hezekiah Mason somehow drawing people here, it certainly seemed to tie everyone here in the church together. Could they all be after the signet ringm or was there some other reason for all this interest' he thinks as he moves.

Just as suddenly as they appear the footseps withdraw; why would someone intent on coming here on this night and then turn tail? What would make them change their mind?

He notices Anne and Rebecca peering out of the window..."Do you see anything?" asks.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:21 am
by CrackheadC.
Rebecca wipes her section of the window with her sleeve, "I can't hardly see anything, can you?"
OOC,With a roll of 9 ( see dice roll in ooc thread) I get 1 question. Is there anything recognizable about the person outside?

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can see in perfect detail," says Anne.
OOC,Assess the Situation (roll + Reason 3): [dice]0[/dice] My three questions: Who is it? What make/model/color of car is it? What does the license plate on the car say?

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:21 pm
by Priest
Anne,Through the darkness and smeared glass of a small window, you can see a figure of a man heading back towards the church gates. For a moment he glances back towards the door and you have the impression of a man in his late fifties, he is not familiar to you. As he reaches the gate and exits you see him move towards a dark coloured pick up, possibly a ford of an older design. It is too dark to make out the licence plate, but you can make out the familiar shape of spades and other gardening equipment in the back of the vehicle.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:51 pm
by Supercape
"Church windows are not the most translucent of things" said Harry, barging open the Church doors with a most mangificent creak.

His frame would not allow a chase, or even a run of more than a dozen yards, but it did allow a most theatrical of exits, he burst out of the Church framed by its weak light, and huffed and puffed out in the direction of the departing guest. Was there a car? was there a shadow in the moonlight?

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"The fellow looks to be in his late fifties," reports Anne. "I've never seen him before. He's driving a dark pickup truck, probably an older Ford. He has spades and other gardening equipment in the bed of the truck. I presume he intended to dig up the grave of Hezekiah Mason, but our stout friend scared him off."

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:04 pm
by Priest
Anne,Obviously Harry's somewhat over exuberant opening of the door has some effect, for you sees the figure suddenly flash a look over his shoulder before quickening his pace.
Harry,Your bursting from the door accompanied by his panting display of lack of condition, has an effect on the moving figure sending him hastening towards a nearby parked pick up. Alas your lack of athleticism allows the stranger enough time to slide into the vehicle, start the engine and, with the scream of protesting gears, pull away from the church in a northerly direction. Please make a[b] Poke Around[/b] move (Roll+Luck)

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:31 pm
by Papa Gateau

Dig up his grave, dear? Sister Frances Mary looks quizzically at Anne Why in the good Lord's name would anyone want to dig up the poor soul that has just been buried?

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 pm
by Supercape
Harry wheezed like hell, his heart threatening to beat out of his chest.

"I don't believe in exercise. I am of the opinion it uses up your lifetime's supply of heart beats at a disagreeable rate!" he gasped, hands on knees, lungs on fire. He had run about twenty yards.

He shuffled at a fair more sedate pace to where the car had taken off, taking a look at the ground and the tyre marks...

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"There is speculation that Hezekiah Mason was buried with an item," says Anne. "This item is said to possess great power, but it comes with a terrible cost."

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:38 am
by Priest
Harry,you stare hard at the spot where the car had been standing, despit the white lights that keep dancing across your vision. It would appear that the pickup, judging from the trye marks left when he had sped off, had headed off in the direction of Long Hill.[i][color=#008000] "Strange"[/color][/i] you muse[i][color=#008000] "There is little out there but woods, other than Mason's house and that had been empty since he had died"[/color][/i]

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:40 pm
by Supercape
Harry wheezed back to the Church, not far for most men, a marathon for him.

Leaning, somewhat theatrically, against the door, bathed in moonlight, he paused for breath and wiped sweat from his brow.

"I believe our friend is heading for Hezekiah Mason's old home, in the woods" he explained to the motley crew in the Church. "Clearly he, or she, is not so fond company as we merry few"

He took a few steps and slumped on a hard wooden chair.

"Hezekiah ever was a one for drama and mystique. He bought an old secluded house, more of a ruin, really, in the midst of the most gnarled and haunted woods for a hundred miles. The locals said the trees ate people" he added. He had used such artifice for his book, The Root of all Evil. It was not his finest work but had been lapped up by the pulp of the day.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"If he is going there," says Anne, "we should get there as soon as we can if we're going to stop him. Since we thwarted him here, he may be trying to look for other possessions of Mason's at his home."

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:38 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy barely has time to move aside before the portly author barrels his way outside, intent on catching up to the intruder. 'I don't fancy his chances of catching up.' he thinks his gaze on Harry's back as he lurches towards the gates.

Tommy tries not to look guilty as the bespectacled woman blurts out that the other man was possibly going to dig up Mason then being mad even more uncomfortable by the Nun's pointed comment.... 'Indeed... who would want that man dug up and something recovered..' he thinks.

"Stop him? Whatever for?" he asks. 'If I play this right, the others will go charging off and I can get back to work..." he schemes.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:37 pm
by Supercape
"I dare say we can hardly stop him. We don't know what he is doing in the first place" said Harry, catching his breath.

"Indeed, the same can be same of each and every one of us here" he added, meeting everyone's gaze. "I suspect that none of us smell of roses, shall we say? The difference is, however, that I can see each and every one of you. Our departed visitor remains a shadow"

"Before traipsing into a forest in the dead of night, perhaps we should play our own cards, hmm? What brings you to a graveyard in the middle of the night?"

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm here to make sure nobody gets their hands on Hezekiah Mason's possession," says Anne. "It could be dangerous. Your turn. Why are you here?"

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Those who knew Mason, or even knew of Mason, are aware that he had a large house at Long Hill on the edge of woodland about two miles out of town on the East Road. A somewhat rambling house originally built for a Wendel Oliver, an arms manufacturer who had made a fortune during the Civil War, it is the source of various supernatural rumours locally, dating from before and during Mason's occupation. You all know that since Mason's death the house has been emptied and closed up. Even his large collection of cats have been rehomed.  
Harry,You, having had a 'friendship' with Hezekiah Mason, know the house fairly well having stayed there on several occasions, although there are no doubt, areas with which you are not familiar.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:33 am
by Supercape
"My intentions are less noble, madam, I confess!" said Harry, slumped and recovering his breath. "I believe Hezekiah Mason left his last art on his person. It would be a shame to deprive the world of his art. Even if its acquisition would be by ungentlemanly means. I hope that does not make us at odds, Madam" he said, hopefully.

"There, my cards on the table and laid true and honest. Hezekiah was, well, I dare say a friend, of sorts. He held queer company but we knew each other well enough and I dare say he considered me a friendly soul. The old devil did depart this world under odd circumstance, and it seems his strangeness has not fled with his death. And out of respect of whatever friendship we had, I would know exactly who and what resides in his old home..."

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, at least you are not after the dagger," says Anne. "It should never again see the light of day."

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy listened as the fat man 'sang', dagger, art... there was something fishy going on here; why had Tommy been engaged to acquire Mason's signet ring? The more he thought about it the more bizarre the request seemed, only his lack of funds and paying clients had spurred him into taking the commission. Not that Tommy was above 'bending' a few laws in the pursuit of his investigations but agreeing to rob a corpse was further over the line than he would normally be prepared to step. Tommy could smell a rat, and this one was huge the veritable 'King Rat'.

As he thought things through the candles flickered in a sudden draught, shadows danced across the walls of the dimly lit church making strange humanoid shapes that seemed to be mocking his musings.

With his mind made up he coughed to clear his throat "It seems that I too have a macabre confession to make." He tips back his hat and looks at the others in turn before continuing. "I was engaged to retrieve an item from the person of Hezekiah Mason circumstances meant that I was late to the undertakers and could not ... well suffice it to say, my only option was to come here tonight and gain he item through unconventional means, much like our friend here. " Tommy indicates Harry with a wry smile.

"So... I'm wondering if we have all been manipulated to congregate here... at this place... at this hour." Turning to Anne "You said 'possessions' before and 'dagger' just now, so that's what concerns you, how did you become aware of this item?" Tommy points to the fat author "And you sir... how did you come to know that Mason had his last work interred with him?"

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:33 pm
by Supercape
"A letter. Sent to me the day before he died. Mad ramblings, most of it. In honesty, I could barely read it; the writing was tremulous and faint, like a man beset by insanity or terror, or a fever. And yet, in it, some grains of wit. He referred to his last work, Beyond the Veil of Perception. He alluded that it was a work of horror, doubly so because it was a truth that no man should see. He determined that it would go with him to the grave..."

Harry shuddered. "And like a moth to a flame, I could not resist. I am a writer of horror, and could not drag myself away from this piece, no matter how grisly the manner of acquisition..."

"Knowing Hezekiah, he could well have manipulated us. He was a genius, although a crazed one..."

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hezekiah Mason would sometimes visit my shop, and we talked about antiques," says Anne to Tommy. "He showed me his antique dagger once, and I researched its provenance. There is a legend attached to the dagger. It is said that it can grant you your heart's desire - but only if you kill someone with it. I don't believe it would actually work, but there are people who do. They would stop at nothing to get the dagger, and when they did, they would commit murder with it. If I find it first, I can lock it away in my shop's vault, where it will be safe. I had made several offers to buy it from Hezekiah, but he would always refuse. After I made my last, best offer, he told me that he would not sell it at any price, and he vowed to take it to his grave. I don't think that was just a colorful turn of phrase. He actually meant it. Perhaps whoever hired you is really after the dagger. Who is this person?"

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy nods as he listens to Harry as he explains how he came to know about 'Beyond the Veil of Perception' before he can comment Anne pipes up, with her story. He ponders things for a few seconds, thumb and fore-finger stroking his chin as he tries to work through things.

"Well, it's certainly strange... the timing of events if nothing else. OK, I was approached yesterday by a well-to-do sort, calling himself Nathanial Nemo he span me a story about being a relative of Mason the signet ring being an heirloom and it ought to have been passed down to Nemo but Mason was shall we say 'estranged' from the rest of the family. he shrugs as he summarises what happened in his office the previous day.

"So... what about the rest of you..." he asks pointedly.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:26 pm
by Papa Gateau

I am here on church business explains Sister Frances Mary Hezekiah Mason was well known to us and we have observed him from afar for many years.

His...dabblings..and writings around the occult have raised questions and caused concern for my superiors in the church. The archbishop, the bishop of this diocese, instructed me to discover what was to be buried with his body, determine its nature and if necessary to place it in the care of the church.

It is no secret that Mr. Mason was said to have made a deal with the devil, it is thought the instrument that he used to invoke the demon or possibly even to bind the contract would be buried with him.

As servants to God's flock, as good shepherds, it is our duty to protect the innocent and remove such instruments of temptation and damnation from the weak souls that we guard.

I am not sure of what I am exactly seeking, it may the dagger that is powered by sacrifice, the signet ring or even the manuscript itself may contain revealing passages or clues as the contract he bound himself with but I am charged with discovering it and placing it safely within the church.

As to why I am here at midnight? I was delayed by this inclement weather and with no elsewhere to stay chose to wait in the church, in contemplation with the Lord, until the good pastor arrived in the morning.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nathaniel Nemo," muses Anne. "Like Captain Nemo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Nemo is Latin for 'No one.' I think it's likely that is not the man's real name. Can you describe him?" She nods to Frances Mary. "You have my full support, Sister. Whatever items Mr. Mason may have had that are dangerous need to be put away somewhere safe, whether it's the dagger or some other item. I had been planning on locking the dagger away in my shop's vault, but if the church is willing to guard it, that suits me just fine. I wouldn't feel comfortable about keeping something like that under my roof anyway."

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:39 am
by Priest
OOC:   Other than yourselves the church is empty, and alarmingly silent. Someones pocket watch chimes the hour - midnight. By now the pickup will be several miles away, its engine noise and headlights no more than a faded memory. Outside it seems as quiet as a, well, graveyard.  

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:33 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy shivers, the Church seems to be getting colder somehow more oppressive, was that due to the late hour or the subject of their various quests.

"So I had a visit from 'Mr No One' ... did I, well he was a 'someone' .. old.. in his 60's and tall, thin but well built, not frail looking I mean." Tommy indicates someone who would be slightly taller than himself, maybe 6' tall. "thin face and lips, narrow ling nose... dark piercing eyes." he replies to Anne's question.
Tommy Stone thinking:   'Something off with the good Sister's story... OK it seems [i]Mason[/i] was into some weird things, everyone seems to agree on that part and if you accept that then it's not beyond the realm off possibility that the Church would take an interest in such a person. But why send someone to just see what was buried with him... what about his other possessions; sounds like the Bishop had some concrete information? And why wait here in this cold church over-night, just because you arrived late? It doesn't look like I can get this lost to move out on their own accord...'  
"Looks like we all want to see what's been buried with Mason and if the good Sister is on the level She has the authority to get the grave exhumed.. so why don't we get on and do that?"

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 pm
by Supercape
Harry felt his lungs had just recovered, and was ill inclined to test them further.

"An excellent idea. I'll keep lookout whilst you dig".

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"You have legal permission to exhume the body, Sister?" asks Anne. "It may be a bit unorthodox to dig up a body in the middle of the night, but at the same time it's rather strangely fitting. All right, let's get started."

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 pm
by Priest
As if in answer to Anne's suggestion a gentle tapping sound comes from the windows. It seems the rain that had the burial of Hezekiah Mason, has come to take part in any exhumation of his corpse.
OOC:   A nice description of Tommy Stone's 'Mr No -One'. Does his description awaken any memories of such a person to any other of you?  

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better move quickly, before the rain gets worse," says Anne. "At least the damp earth will be easier to dig."

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:11 pm
by carnage_lee
Priest wrote:
OOC:   A nice description of Tommy Stone's 'Mr No -One'. Does his description awaken any memories of such a person to any other of you?  
OOC:   Kind of hoping someone says.... that's remarkably like Mason  
OOC:   We're missing a reveal from Rebecca - I don't think anyone will be willing to exhume the body without hearing from her.  

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:53 pm
by Papa Gateau

Mr. Stone church business does not grant me authority to exhume the body. All I stated was that I wished to examine what was to be buried with Mr Mason.

I arrived too late to do so. Now that the body is in the ground, I would need to apply to the bishop to exhume it or to a local judiciary if there were compelling legal reason to do so.

I personally do not have the authority to do so. I am here at the bishop's bidding not as his representative, I do not speak with his authority.
she smiles warmly at him.

She then winks at him Of course, I might be able to persuade the bishop to grant the exhumation license retrospectively...

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:59 pm
by Priest
OOC:   (I am writing this for Crakkhead's character to move the story forward)  
Rebecca Conners steps forward, casually brushing at some imaginary dirt on her raincoat sleeve. The dull flickering candlelight reflects on her somewhat refined features giving her eyes a determined, inquisitive cast.
"I am here to find out just what Hezekiah Mason died of, was his death fair or foul?" She gazes towards Tommy Stone, "I see you have a spade Mr Stone. May I suggest we cease any pointless debate and begin our task? After all..." she pauses and listens to the sound of the rain on the windows, "...the sooner we start the sooner we finish"
She steps towards the door passing the still heavilly breathing man and slides something from her coat pocket. A small flashlight which she proceeds to turn on. "Shall we?"
OOC:   What do you do?
Does Tommy's 'Mr No-ONe' remind anyone of Mason? Harry Blake knew Mason best.  

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, I suppose, Sister," says Anne. "And the Church is all about forgiveness. Let's go," Anne follows Rebecca outside into the rain.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:34 pm
by Priest
Outside the limited comfort of the church the graveyard looks as inviting as before, just wetter. Raindrops drip incesantly from the bushes that line the footpath, probably adding a dash of colour to the drab surroundings in the daylight, but now adding nothing more than a pool of shadows which seem to writhe and twitch in the darkness.
Retracing your steps to the grave of Hezekiah Mason is simple, even the dark does little to mask the freshness of the grave. The heaped mound of wet earth still retains a few waterlogged flowers left by the few mourners. One still tied bunch sports a small card its writing smeared by the rain.

Hardly a sound breaks the silence of the place, even the nightbirds seem to have retired to a sheltered, dry perch. Yet there is a sound, maybe scratching somewhere distant...

OOC:   What do you do?
Does Tommy's 'Mr No-ONe' remind anyone of Mason? Harry Blake knew Mason best.  

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:44 pm
by Supercape
Harry stroked his beard, pondering the "Mr. No One".

"That face, sounds like Hezekiah himself" he said. "If the old man had lost a few dozen pounds". Hezekiah had been, if not as corpulent as Harry, a man who was of "robust" build throughout his life. He had a well known fondness for exotic meats, and Harry recalled how he would slowly masticate and savour rich and fatty cuts with a black joy to his eye.

But thin lips, that nose, and those piercing dark eyes. Yes, that was Hezekiah. The right age too.

He shuddered. Did Hezekiah have a brother? or had something eaten him up in his last days? Or was the thin and emaciated man described by Tommy Stone a ghostly shadow of the man himself? There was something about sustenance that kept cropping up in Hezekiah's work, be it food, or more spiritual essence. The talk of a soul-sucking dagger did little to calm his disquiet.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:27 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

With some reluctance Tommy starts to dig, the blade of the long handled shovel making a wet sucking sound as it spears the ground. The spade slides into the freshly turned earth easily enough but the rain has made the clay soil heavy and sticky. A mound of dark wet soil starts to pile up to the side of the grave, despite the breeze and intermittent cold rain Tommy starts to sweat and curse under his breath. This was a lot harder than he had anticipated.

After a good half hours work he stops, his muscles ache and he stretches and rubs his arms and back; he's starting to resent the others, oh they mean well with the odd comment of encouragement but it's not them getting their 'hands dirty'.

He eyes the pile of earth he's excavated, it's too near the edge ... "One of you can make yourself useful and start moving that of earth back a bit." he shovels more earth out.. "Ohh.. and someone go find some ropes, we're going to need to bring the coffin up.." he adds.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:56 pm
by Priest
Rebecca Conners holds the flashlight up allowing the lbeam of light to illuminate the faces of the group. "Well" she says her voice a little tight. showing her nervouness as to the situation, "I have the flashlight so I can't go looking for a rope". As if to emphasise her view she allows the light to play across the heaped earth that marks the grave.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps Hezekiah Mason is not dead at all," says Anne. "But then who was buried in his place?" She looks around at the rainswept vista. "Where would we find ropes around here? Maybe there's a storage shed or something."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:33 am
by Priest
OOC:  
Previously Anne Dewar said:   "Where would we find ropes around here? Maybe there's a storage shed or something."  
You know that there is a small building near the churchyard entrance, you had watched the unknown visitor rush past it on his way back to his pickup. It is quite likely from its size and position near the gate to be some kind of storage shed, the ideal place to store bits and pieces.  

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I remember seeing a storage shed near the entrance," says Anne. "There could be some ropes there. I'll go get them if someone comes with me. I'm not strong enough to carry too much by myself." And I'd rather not be alone in this place, she thinks with a shiver.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:21 pm
by Supercape
Harry had his breath back and had resigned himself to the inevitability of physical exertion that night. He stroked his beard and stood up.

"I'll accompany you madam. I'm used to carrying a heavy load" he said, patting his belly. "And besides, I don't think anybody should be alone tonight..."

With that, he cracked his knuckles and accompanied Anne out of the Church...

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:11 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy watches for a few moments as Harry and Anne trudge off across the sodden grass towards the storage hut near the entrance to the cemetery before continuing with his macabre task. The soil seems less wet and heavy a few feet below ground level, still wet but not sodden like the soil at the surface and he starts digging with a little more gusto.

The wind suddenly picks up, gusting through the cemetery, making a moaning, mournful whistling through the trees. Some soil slips back into Tommy's excavation. Tommy jumps back before the earth can cover his shoes. The wind dies down as fast as it picked up, leaving behind a chill in the air.

The spade sides into the earth but stops with a dull metallic 'clunk', the sudden arrest of the spades movement sends a shock-wave through Tommy's hands and forearms.

"What the... there's something here..." Tommy chops the spade down a few times with less force, a dull metallic sound rings out each time. "That's weird.. we're not deep enough to be hitting the coffin yet, shine that light down here here..." he asks Rebecca looking up at the two women, puzzlement on his face.

Tommy moves the spade around tapping lightly to find the size of the object ... "It's about two feet .. sounds pretty solid..." he then sets about scraping the earth away, the light from the flash-light slowly illuminates a disk the size of a small tray, there seems to be carving or marks on the disk but darkness and packed soil make it impossible to make out any detail.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Anne, grateful for any company. She leads the way to the storage shed to try the door and look around inside for some ropes.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:22 pm
by Priest
Rebecca carefuly directs the flashlight's beam to the object that Tommy has pulled from the ground, "Here, maybe this will help?" From the pocket of her raincoat she pulls a handkerchief.
Tommy,please make a[b]'Poke Around'[/b] roll.
The small building built of brick and timber, its shape partialy obscured by a tall Yew tree, is secured by a single plank door, looking almost as ancient as the rusted catch holding it shut. With a tug the door opens, a low dragging sound marking its progress across the ground, to reveal a dark, damp, earthy smelling interior. In the darkness you can see a motionless shape.
Anne and Harry,Please make[b] 'Poke Around'[/b] rolls

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:19 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone - Poke Around Roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:16 pm
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:
Tommy Stone - Poke Around Roll,[dice]176327:0[/dice]
Tommy,Select 1 of the following: (modified to fit the occasion) *Find 1 good item (Keeper’s choice) *One minor item, other than the object you already have (Your choice) *Find 1 clue on the item (+1 forward when acted upon) * Determine the presence of one physical hazard (if none present, you learn that)

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:27 pm
by carnage_lee
Priest wrote:
Tommy,Select 1 of the following: (modified to fit the occasion) *Find 1 good item (Keeper’s choice) *One minor item, other than the object you already have (Your choice) *Find 1 clue on the item (+1 forward when acted upon) * Determine the presence of one physical hazard (if none present, you learn that)
Tommy Finds...,*Find 1 clue on the item (+1 forward when acted upon) - Please :)

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:46 pm
by Supercape
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] meaning 6, a faiiiiil

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:50 pm
by Priest
Supercape wrote:
Spoiler:
[dice]176335:0[/dice] meaning 6, a faiiiiil
Harry,Not necessarilly.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:56 pm
by Priest
Tommy,As you use Rebecca's handkerchief and some spit to clean the strange disc a little, you can make out some odd markings similiar to those you had been told were to be found on Mason's signet ring. Markings that seem to form unatural angles and leave you with a creeped out feeling as if your mind was on the edge of a vast chasm. You are sure you have seen or heard a description of these markings elsewhere. [size=150][b]Where?[/b][/size]

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne rummages through the miscellania in the shed. Years of puttering around her shop searching for this and that have honed her skills to a fine degree, and she almost immediately finds the ropes she seeks.
OOC,Poke Around roll looking for ropes in the storage shed: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:46 pm
by Priest
Anne,Select 1 of the following: (within the building's environs) As well as several legths of rope. From the wooden handles attached you think these are tailor made for the purpose. *Find 1 good item (Keeper’s choice) *One minor item (Your choice) *Find 1 clue (+1 forward when acted upon) * Determine the presence of one physical hazard (if none present, you learn that)

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Cool! I didn't know I'd get something else in addition to the ropes and thought I'd have to choose them as what I find. In that case, I'll take a good item, your choice.

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:44 pm
by Priest
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Cool! I didn't know I'd get something else in addition to the ropes and thought I'd have to choose them as what I find. In that case, I'll take a good item, your choice.
Anne,In the darkness you see a familiar shape. That of a kerosene lamp, shaking it shows it to be full of kerosene. Now all you need are some matches...
Harry, you manage, with a litle help from Miss Dewar, to find some rope as you reach for it something moves within the shadows and a pile of rubbish falls towards you. What do you do?

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:07 am
by Supercape
Harry pulled back his hand as he reached for the rope, staggering backwards.

"Something...something moved!" he gasped, clutching his chest and reaching backwards. His hand closed around a rubber plunger, dirty and half rotted. "A rat, maybe?" he hoped, although it had not looked like a rat. It had squirmed.

He held the plunger out in front of him, pointing to the shadows. It was a useless weapon, but if it was a rodent, he would exterminate it!

With a growing resolve, he inched forward, and poked around the shadows at arms length.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

In addition to the ropes, Anne finds and hoists a kerosene lamp. "Ah, this will help," she says. "Do you have a light, sir?"

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:53 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy tips his hat as Rebecca hands down her cotton handkerchief and in the dim light he starts to clean off the surface of the metal disk. Surprisingly the soil rubs off easily enough and each time Tommy's finger tips brush the metal an unpleasant tingling sets in, lasting no more than the fleeting touch as he wipes but it is unsettling. Slowly some of the marking become more pronounced, odd geometric shapes that look intricate Tommy's mind is taken back to yesterday and the encounter in his office with 'Mr Nemo'.

".. I know it's a strange request but the ring is an heirloom.. rightfully it should be passed down to my side of the family but poor departed Hezekiah's[/b] father was estranged from my father many years ago... Hezekiah[/b] has passed without any family of his own and I would rightly claim the ring for my family..." the man had said, his words uttered with a fervour that was almost hypnotic Tommy was carried away and picked up in the story... ".. it's a gold signet ring bearing engraved markings, swirling patterns .." the man's piercing eyes bore into Tommy as he continued.

Tommy was snatched back to the present as his fingers closed around the rim of the disk in an attempt to prise it loose from the soil; that same disturbing tingling was running up his hands and with a curse he sprang back. "Can you see those markings?" he asks, shaking and blowing onto this hands to ward off the chill that has set into his fingers. "Damn that things cold..." taking up the spade he digs under one side, then presses down to lever it form the earth. With a wet sucking sound the disk lifts free, Tommy leaves it propped up and wrapping the muddy handkerchief around his hand to protect his hand from further touching the strange metallic artefact. The disk is surprisingly light and Tommy almost overbalances as he pulls the object free, he lays it onto the wet grass.. "Have either of you seen anything like that before?" he asks, looking alternately between Rebecca and Sister Frances Mary.

"The markings seems a bit familiar... I'm sure I've seen them before but I can't recall where..." he adds.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:56 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary lifts her robes slightly before squatting down to examine the disk. She takes a handkerchief and tentatively wipes more of the earth from it.

I can't say I have she replies slowly. She leans closer, trying to make sense of the patterns in the torchlight.

Is this what the Bishop has sent me to retrieve she thinks to herself.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:57 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy nods slowly as Sister Frances Mary studies the disk.

"Careful... don't touch it... it has some kind of static charge." he says as the Nun leans closer to the strange artefact. His eyes are drawn back to the markings, they're decidedly odd seeming to look at, as if forming shapes... shapes that you can't quite make out as if a portion was missing. The perspective of some of the 'glyphs' seemed wrong too, almost stretching - although the disk was no larger than a drinks tray is seemed as if it wasn't possible to keep it all in focus... his eyes kept darting about trying to make sense of the overall pattern. "Whoo that's weird.. I better take a few moments to rest up before I start digging again..." he says trying to clear his head of a sudden dizziness, he deliberately averts his gaze.

"Have you heard of anything like this before, Sister? he asks, wondering why the disk would be in the grave, and who would have put it there.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 pm
by Priest
Rebecca leans closer allowing the light from her flashlight to focus on the strange object Tommy Stone has pulled from the earth. For a moment she stares at it almost transfixed, the with a shrug of her shoulders looks away to the grave of the writer.
"Never seen anything like that before, but there is something unsettling about the way the pattern seems to,,,swim"
Tommy and Sister Frances Mary,please make a [b]'Puzzle things out' (roll+reason)[/b]. On a 7+, you get to ask one or more questions. Whenever you act on one of the Keeper’s answers, take +1ongoing. On a 10+, ask 3 from below OR gain 1 Lore. On a 7–9, ask 1: • What is this? • What does this mean? • How can I get in/out/pass? • Who’s in control here? • Which enemy before me is the most dangerous? • What is its weakness? • What should I keep an eye out for? • How does __________ fit into ______________? Or any other question you may think of that seems reasonable in the circumstances.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:21 pm
by Papa Gateau
Puzzle me this,Roll + Reason(+1) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm
by Priest
Meanwhile:
As the shadows of the shed seem to come alive with movement, Harry Blake, startled momentarilly uses an old, rotted plunger, its rubber head half decomposed through age and misuse, to prod at what he fears may have been a rat, or some such creature. After a moments tense probing, he seems satisfied that the movement had been due to some inadvertant movement during his reaching for the rope. Above the rapid beating of his heart he hears Miss Dewar's closeby voice, "Do you have a light, sir?"

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:32 am
by Supercape
Mr. Handy wrote:In addition to the ropes, Anne finds and hoists a kerosene lamp. "Ah, this will help," she says. "Do you have a light, sir?"
Harry struck a match. "Indeed I do madam. I find light most illuminating" he commented as he lit the lamp, calmed his nerves, and turned to examine the movement...

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:31 pm
by Priest
Harry,looking closely with the benefit of the light, it seems that the movement was caused by some old rubbish that the rope had been attached too. Please make an 'Act under Pressure roll' dice + Luck.
Sister Frances Mary,There is something about the pattern that reminds you of a picture in a half glimpsed book on demonology somewhere in an ancient library somewhere in Rome, or was it Boston?

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:27 am
by Grognardsw
"Get the rope Harry. I got the flashlight."

Rebecca's flashlight centers on the disk as she peers at its strange carvings. The jazz journalist places the flashlight on the ground pointing at the disk, takes out her camera, and snaps a shot. From her research on Mason, those weird writings have some significance. The fearless flapper isn't sure what significance exactly, but she'll find out. 
Spoiler:
OOC:   Being present with Tommy and Sister Mary, who are making Puzzle Things Out rolls, here is Rebecca's if applicable.  
Puzzle Things Out [2d6+2] = 4+2 = 6

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:39 pm
by Priest
The sudden intensity of the cameras flash seems to cause the pattern to react. For a moment it seems as if the strange focussing of the pattern seems to intensify into an almost identifiable pattern - words perhaps? The effect lasts a fraction of a second and fades as fast as the flash. Each of you see it, what do you do?
Rebecca,nothing for a six I'm afraid.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Anne, shining the light around the storage shed's dark interior. She helps Harry collect the ropes to bring them back to the grave.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:51 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

The stark white light of the flash-bulb illuminates the strange artefact retrieved from the half open grave, the blurry after-image burned into Tommy's retina show a more cohesive patten etched into the surface of the metallic object. The patterns seemed to have been frozen by the vivid illumination, somehow changed and more distinct the effect was even more unsettling than not being able to comprehend any overall pattern to the markings. The brief white afterglow replayed in staccato images as Tommy blinked, something in the middle of the object like a wheel with four, no five 'spokes' and some kind of weird outlandish lettering around the outside of the pattern. The letters, if indeed that is what there were seemed to be stamped on engraved one over the other, the effect like writing two or three words over the top of each other but the script was not recognisable to Tommy.

"Did you see it?" he asks "That pattern.. in the middle; I've seen it before!"

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 pm
by Priest
Tommy's awestruck statement hangs in the air, has anyone a response?
The drizzle which had added to the sogginess of the ground, and the misery of the surroundings, stops as suddenly as it had begun. Now the night is alive with the sound of water dripping from the graveyard's abundant foliage, close up it could easilly be taken for surreptitious footsteps except for the lack of any accompanying squelching noise.
Far off a solitary dog can be heard barking, while closer a nightbird, possibly the one heard earlier, cries out as if in annoyance at some disturbance. The reverie of group at the graveside, is broken by the reappearance of the rope finders armed with a lit lantern whose yellow light helps illuminate the partialy disintered grave, and reflects off the pale sweat lined features of the writer, Harry Blake. It would seem from the sickliness of his appearance that the visit to the shed had not been without some sort of occurence.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:32 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca Conners, reporter

The Mirror reporter blinks her eyes as the after-image fades.
After-Image,[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fd/05/54/fd05545bece3b3ce6ac969973f90fac6.jpg[/img]
"Yes, I did see it!" whispers Rebecca urgently. "When the flash went off! Where have you seen it before?"

She wonders if the picture will show the pattern. The flash seems to have effected the disk.

"I'm trying again, look at it closely."

Rebecca snaps another photo.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let me take a look at that," says Anne, walking up and shining her lantern on the disk. She studies the pattern intently, squinting at the lines and circles. "I've seen that pattern before! That's the Tree of Life, an important element of Kabbalah. I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise. Hezekiah Mason was into all sorts of occult things. As for this particular piece..."
OOC,I'd like to use my Lore move to determine information about the disk: [list] [*]Who originally made it? [*]Who were its previous owners? [*]What purpose does it serve?[/list]

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:35 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"Stop that!" Tommy says crossly, as the keen reporter takes another picture "Those flashes might draw attention!" Anne and Harry come back from their errand shortly after he administers his scolding.

Anne then declares that she can see the pattern and make it out and the proceeds to examine the disk more closely.

"A tree?" Tommy says questioningly, "Well I don't know about that but the central part... well something like it was carved on the end of one of the pews back in the chapel." he points back to the chapel for emphasis.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's not a literal tree," says Anne. "It's symbolic. If there's a similar symbol in the chapel, we should have a look at it and make a tracing as soon as we're done here. Was this the only thing in the grave, or is there an actual coffin beneath?"

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone
Previously Anne said:   "..Was this the only thing in the grave, or is there an actual coffin beneath?"  
"I stopped digging a few minutes ago after coming across the disk; there's another couple of feet to dig out yet to get to a coffin." Tommy replies hotly, obviously not impressed with Anne's comment.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:08 pm
by Priest
Clearing the last couple of feet from the grave is, courtesy of the rain, a simple, if somewhat dirty, affair. Within a short while the top of the walnut casket is exposed. The disc you had found seems to have been placed directly over the head of any inhabitant of the box.

Those of you not involved in the digging notice a red glow far off to the north-west. You would imagine it to be some sort of fire possibly close to a local beauty spot know as 'Pershing Point' several miles distant from Mason's house. However none of you know of anything out there to burn, other than a trees and scrubland. But whatever it is, it seems to be drawing attention from the town several cars can be heard moving in that direction accompanied by the sound of sirens.

Luckily the cars are moving along roads that will not bring them past the church, however your lights may be seen. What do you do?

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should douse our lights," suggests Anne. "We don't want to draw attention to ourselves, and the darkness shouldn't interfere with the digging. I wonder if our erstwhile visitor caused that fire. That is the direction of Hezekiah Mason's house, but the house itself is miles from there. It could have been intended as a distraction."
OOC,I never did get an answer to my questions about the disk.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:03 pm
by Priest
Anne,My apologies forgot to reply; Three difficult questions, however I’ll do my best to provide answers. [b]1) Who originally made it?[/b] Difficult to tell, but it looks as though it might be of European design (English or French) possibly dating from the early 18th Century. [b]2) Who were the previous owners?[/b] There is nothing to tell you, no marks other than the strange design. [b]3) What purpose does it serve?[/b] Again there is nothing to provide you with an answer. From its shape it could have been some form of salver, though its size and the strange pattern would seem to dismiss its use as such. It is far too large to have been some form of amulet, unless of course its purpose had been ritualistic which the pattern would seem to suggest. Overall, there are elements of the Kabbalahaic tree of life in the pattern, but something is a little odd the image looks right but the strange overlay of letters (if that’s what they are) is definitely not Kabbalahaic, Hebrew, or Aramaic. The ‘letters’, three of them each one superimposed yet entwined with the others, are composed of strange angular marks which you have never seen before, even in some of the most obscure and ancient texts you have looked at. They seem to blur and move as if alive and in constant motion. It makes you think of looking through a microscope at some bacteria.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:16 pm
by Supercape
Harry Blake scratched his beard, lost in thought at the mysterious lights and symbols. It had an arcane feel to it, by his estimation. Not that he believed in that sort of thing. That sort of thing belonged in the pages of his pulp, not in real life. But still...

At least he didn't have to dig.

"As unpalatable as darkness is, when faced with the mysteries of the night, it is quite preferable to being caught grave robbing. Which is, on reflection, actually what we are doing. Even if by moral consensus, I doubt the eyes of the Law would take kindly to our endeavour.." he commented.

"And besides, we appear to have illumination from yonder" he added, gesturing at the distant red glow. "Which is adds yet more unease. For there is nothing there too burn..."

"Whilst I dislike firearms, right now I would quite like the comfort of a sidearm!" he blurted. "But a shovel and firmness of spirit will have to suffice. Let us open the coffin and be done with it!"

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne nods, dousing her lantern. "The sooner we finish, the sooner we can be out of this place," she says. "The disk looks to be early eighteenth century, most likely of English or French manufacture. Though the diagram does have Kabbalistic elements from the Tree of Life, there is something different about it. The lettering isn't Hebrew or Aramaic, as one might expect. They're like nothing I've ever seen before, and they seem to move. It does seem to have a ritualistic purpose, but beyond that I couldn't say. Perhaps there is a clue in Hezekiah Mason's writings somewhere."

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:45 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca Conners, reporter

"That disk is proof that Mason's stories were real," claims Rebecca. "The symbology is reminescent of that found in his The Dread That Came to Innsport."

"That better not be Mason's house burning down!" exclaims the Rebecca at the distant light, as Anne's lantern extinguishes and darkness returns.

She watches intently as Tommy keeps digging and strikes wood. "You've reached it!"

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:45 pm
by Priest
CLUNK! Tommys spade strikes wood.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:04 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy works quickly to clear the top of the coffin from any earth and then digs along the sides to get to the handles. "OK.. let me have that rope."

Tommy measures and cuts four lengths from the coil, looping each piece through a handle and tying off with a couple of overhand knots. He then gives each rope a pull to make sure they're all secure. "Right... take these.." he says and passes up the ropes, two per side and then scrambles out of the freshly opened grave.

"Take the strain..." he says picking up one rope.. "Come on, all together now.." the ropes creak and with a wet squelching sound the coffin starts to lift.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:29 pm
by Priest
With a reluctant sucking noise, the coffin breaks free of the suction of the grave and rises, suprisingly easy, into the darkness of the night...

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 pm
by Supercape
Harry took a few steps back and stumbled to his knees, muddying his threads.

"No! No! Don't let it go!" he yelled, and tried to cling onto the rising coffin as it ascended. For all his lack of strength, his impressive stomach would at least mean that he would be effective ballast.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"It feels rather light," says Anne as she holds the rope. Even with her meager strength, she had no problem helping to haul up the coffin. "That does suggest that in fact Hezekiah Mason's body is not inside, lending credence to the theory that he yet lives."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:14 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca helps haul the coffin up. She's too skittish to be the one to actually open it.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:57 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy nods in agreement at Anne's comments and looks on with disbelief as the fat author almost wrecks the manoeuvre with his clumsiness. "Steady on there.. watch your footing." he says, perhaps a bit belatedly.
Tommy thinking:   This coffin is suspiciously light though but I thought that there was an open casket at the under-takers prior to the funeral itself? That's the information that I had.. so if that's the case then there was a bosy in the coffin prior to the internment...  
With Harry's aid Tommy manages to get the coffin slid across the wet ground and away from the impromptu excavation.

"Well, that's that part done... now Sister why don't you do the honours and open it up?"

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 pm
by Priest
As he speaks Tommy gances upwards, even in the darkness he can see that the nun has disapeared. He looks around who is still here?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:41 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"What the..." Tommy exclaims, where has she gone? "Where did the nun go?" he asks, wondering if this is all a trap... he looked about... were the others concerned? Was it his revelation about the marks he saw etched into hat pew in the Church?

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:55 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca looks around. She's not too concerned about the Sister, but asks,

"Harry, where'd the nun go?"

Then, to Tommy, "Well, you going to open it?"

Rebecca looks at the coffin with her flashlights to see if it has any strange writing on it like the disc. She spots writhing letters.

"Look!" She points. Then the over-anxious reporter realizes with embarrassment that it is only squirming earthworms, not letters.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne looks around as well. "Perhaps she went back to the church," she suggests. "I'm not sure where else she might have gone, but she can't have gone far." She bends down to examine the worms, then looks away in disgust. "Why would there even be worms there, if there's no body inside?"

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:22 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"Perhaps she did... but why? She was all in favour of our impromptu exhumation practically giving us the 'go ahead' and then she ups and runs off... smells fishy to me."

"Just worms... in the earth." he says, using the spade to clear the top of the coffin from soil. "Well we're in this up to our necks, might as well get it finidhed with. Tommy tries to find the mechanism for opening the lid ...
OOC:   Does that count as 'poking around'?
If so..
Poke around (Roll+Luck)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:01 pm
by Priest
OOC:   The lid of the casket seems to be fastened by means of a simple screwed locking plate, there are four screws to be removed allowing the opening of the plate and then letting the casket's top to be opened on hinges to the left hand side.  
Tommy,As you study the locking device you note that where each screw is sunk into the plate a series of letters have been written in a spiral around the screw head.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:43 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary slips quietly away as the others watch Tommy continue the excavation.

She heads back to the church, taking a seat on the rear most pew.

[ic-think],the image on the disc, I've seen it before, where was it now? Think dear! The vatican - it has been long years since I was there? Hmm, I don't think so...maybe the bishop's library. Yes, that seems to ring bells.

What were we discussing, why do I know this symbol?[/ic-think] she ponders in thought, recalling her last few discussions with the bishop. Finally the answer clarifies in her head.

Of course she says quietly to herself It was on his desk, the book was open on his desk and the page had this symbol on it. She smiles to herself in congratulation.

[ic-think],And after he closed the book and returned it to the shelf, in the section devotes to the occult and he then instructed me to come here. To dig up a man and find an artefact that would signify a pact with the devil. Well I think we may have found what I am seeking[/ic-think]

She gets up, genuflects to the likeness of Our lord and Saviour and starts back outside before recalling that one of them had mentioned seeing the same symbol on a pew.

She turns back and starts examining them - looking for the likeness.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 pm
by Priest
Sister Mary Francis,You may try a[b] Poke Around[/b] roll, dice (2d6)+Luck. [b]On a 10+[/b], select 1 of the following: Find 1 good item (Keeper’s choice) 1 minor item (your choice) 1 clue (+1ongoing when acted upon) or pick one from 7-9 table. [b]On a 7–9[/b], you may: Find hidden area/threshold (in/out) (Keeper’s Choice) Find minor item (Keeper’s choice) Determine a physical hazard present (if none, you find that out) [b]On a 6-[/b], your fate is in my hands.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:45 pm
by Papa Gateau

Keeper,Poke Around = 2d6+luck = 2d6+2 but I also have Gerace which is +1 on all luck related rolls = 2d6+3 [dice]0[/dice] I'll take the clue that can be acted upon.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne inspects the locking mechanism. "There must be tools to open this in the storage shed we found," she says.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 pm
by Priest
Sister Mary Francis,It takes a few moments but eventualy you find a carving on the end of one of the pews that bears a similarity to the image you had seen on the silver plate Tommy had pulled from the grave. While not identical the image bears a close enough resemblance to draw attention. Thats not all, some inches from the design someone has roughly carved a series of numbers close to the floor of the church in a position that they would not be seen by a casual observer. The numbers are 3 7 4 11 3 10.
Anne, you do recall seeing a number of wooden handled scredrivers in a battered toolbox just inside the shed. It is but a matter of moments to retrieve the box.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:26 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca the reporter eyes the casket for its depth. She holds her flashlight steady while Tommy looks at the lock screws. Sees herself the writing around the screws and looks closer.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I saw an old toolbox in the shed, right near the door," says Anne. "It had some screwdrivers in it. It'll only take a minute to go get it." She looks over at Harry. "Let's go back there and get it."

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:57 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

As Anne and Harry rush back to the shed to retrieve a screwdriver, Tommy tries to get a better look at the locking plate.. "Can you bring the light closer please? There's something .. lettering here... can you make it out?" he asks Rebecca

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:46 pm
by Supercape
Harry follows Anne with a lumbering gait, sweating profusely but with a smile on his face. Despite the exertion, it is an invigorating romp.

"Screwdriver be damned. Hammers and Crowbars!" he ventures, contemplating a more direct approach.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not only would that damage the casket and leave evidence that we've been here," says Anne as she walks along more steadily, "it would also take longer and make noise. The screwdrivers in that shed were specifically designed to open and close these locks, and that's precisely what we'll do."

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:25 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca, reporter

Rebecca brings the light in closer as Tommy and she try to make out the letters.

"I think I need a magnifying glass," she says.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:53 am
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary rejoins the others by the graveside I see we haven't opened the casket yet, that's a relief she murmurs to herself and then a little more loudly for everyone else to hear You were correct, there is a similar carving on the one of the pews and more intriguingly a series of numbers have been carved into the floor next it - 3, 7, 4, 11, 3 and 10 she pauses a moment before continuing I also recall seeing the pattern on the disk before - it was in a book on demonology. I would suggest we proceed with caution.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:10 pm
by Priest
Anne Dewar, the puffing Harry in close pursuit, appears at the coffin, large wooden handled screwdriver in hand just in time to see Rebecca Conners lean closer to the coffin and direct the beam of the flashlight onto something, and whisper ""I think I need a magnifying glass". Whatever it is it looks like tiny letters written in a spiral of dcreasing size around the screw heads.

However before they have a chance to study them further the nun steps from the darkness, "You were correct, there is a similar carving on the one of the pews and more intriguingly a series of numbers have been carved into the floor next it - 3, 7, 4, 11, 3 and 10" she pauses a moment before continuing, "I also recall seeing the pattern on the disk before - it was in a book on demonology. I would suggest we proceed with caution".

In the sudden silence that follows her words, you hear a engine approach the church from the direction of the fire. For a moment headlights shine bright, then darkness as they are switched off. Whoever it is has stopped just outside the gates almost exactly in the same spot as the earlier visitor had parked only this time facing the opposite direction. As you wait, you hear the sound of two car doors being closed, What do you do?

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"He must have come back with friends!" hisses Anne. "Quick, we'll hide inside the church and take the coffin with us. We can't risk opening it until we figure out what these numbers mean, and there's no time now."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca, reporter

The bulldog reporter covers her flashlight with her hand when the car stops.

"Take it with us?!" whispers Rebecca. "It's a coffin! Quick let's open it up now."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"I'm not opening the coffin... not till we find out who's approaching.. if it's the Sheriff then we're up the proverbial and I am not going to face a charge of 'body snatching'."

"Let's move to behind the walls of the church... keep out of their way, let's see who we're dealing with...

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:15 pm
by Papa Gateau

Yes, conceal yourselves - I will see who it is, I am here on church business, afterall. she heads quickly down the path towards the gate.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Anne, grabbing one of the casket's handles. "We can carry it with us. It's light enough, as there's no body inside. It's better than leaving it for whoever's coming."

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:47 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca, writer

Rebecca ponders the numbers - mystic numerology, or lock combination?

The hot-headed dame grunts agreement on hiding.

"If we move the coffin and its coppers, that's as bad as opening it. Let's just hide behind the wall," Rebecca says and does so.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 pm
by Supercape
Harry would have taken the coffin then and there, but it seems sentiment and morals were impeding the task at hand.

Still, he would prefer not to get caught grave robbing. It might boost the book of his sales, but it might land him in the slammer. He was not sure he would survive hard labour.

Grumbling his discontent, and giving an ill look to Rebecca, he hid himself.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:48 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy grabs a handle and helps Anne man-handle the coffin to cover.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:09 pm
by Priest
As Sister Francis Mary heads towards the gate, Anne and Tommy lift the light casket and head towards the nearest cover of the shadows close to the wall where Rebecca had disapeared moments earlier. Harry, a somewhat sick looking expression on his face quickly vanishes into the deep shadows of a bush opposite the others, where he proceeds to attempt to marshall his breathing.

From the direction of the gateway comes the sound of voices and the unmistakeable flash of a flashlight.

Sister Francis Mary,adopting a serious expression that hopefully projects a right to be wandering the cemetery at this time of night, steps toward the shadow of the main entrance gate. As she approaches the gate swings open and two tall figures enter the cemetery. One, wearing a cap with his coat collar pulled high, points a flashlight into her face and turns it on. The other, nervousness making his voice sound scrathchy and at least one octave higher than normal, coughs and as the light reveals a nun in full regalia, "Jesus!...I mean...Sorry Maam don't mean to be blasphemin', but what in tarnation are y'all doing creeping around this place at night?" Cap wearer pulls the flashlight off her face and sweeps the surrounding area...
[/color]

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think it's the police," whispers Anne. "I think it's the same man we saw earlier, but now he's not alone. We may wish it were the police."

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:38 pm
by Papa Gateau

I might ask the same question of you gentlemen? she responds quickly.

And then with a beatific smile on her face she continues However, God's house is always open to those that wish His love, guidance and counsel.

What is it that you gentlemen seek of the Lord at this late hour, perhaps I can help guide you?

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:54 pm
by Priest
Sister Francis Mary (near the church gate):
Not needing a light to be aware of the confusion her appearance in the cemetery at such an hour has caused the pair, Sister Francis Mary almost smiles at the sudden reversing of tables.
For a brief moment the cap wearing individual plays the beam of his flashlight around the gravestones, too fast to see anything even if there had been anything to see.
“Someone said they had seen somethin’ in the cemetery, a strange light, and what with the fire over at the point and all, we thought it might be a good idea to take a look”
Now obviously caught on the backfoot by the nun, the pair seem more than ready to return to the car. The tall figure takes a nervous step backward and the cap wearer holds the light still, its beam of light illuminating a few feet of gravel covered pathway.

Everyone else (In various hiding spots):
Further down the path towards the front gate, voices can be heard. It seems that Sister Francis Mary has managed to head off the visitors and has engaged them in conversation, stopping them from moving further into the cemetery. The beam of a flashlight can be seen momentarilly sweeping the gravestones. Luckilly its search does not reach as far as the now empty grave of Hezekiah Mason.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:48 am
by Grognardsw
"That was close," whispers Rebecca, keeping her flashlight off.

"Let's open it up now."

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we'd better wait until those guys have gone," whispers Anne, "and we really should figure out what these numbers mean." She ponders it, deep in thought.
OOC,Should I make a Puzzle Things Out roll?

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:48 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy motions everyone to keep quiet... if the nun gets into trouble... well he'd have to help but otherwise better to lie low.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:23 pm
by Papa Gateau

A strange light? Well I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, though I did see the orange glow which I assume came from the fire that you mentioned she steps forward into the space the tall man has just vacated, pressing them into retreating further.

I do hope no one was hurt in the fire.

Now if there is nothing else I can help you with?
she leaves the question hanging in the air, her arm gently indicating their car.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:14 pm
by Priest
Sister Francis Mary (near the church gate):
Indeed as she steps forward the two men are forced to retreat a step. The tall man, who from up close seems probably in his early twenties and beneath his raincoat well dressed, smiles, "I doubt anyone was hurt Sister, the point is a wild place that some folks hereabouts would like to see remain as is".
The cap wearer nods in agreement, a motion that is transferred to his flashlight, "Yeah" he drawls "Best Jones leaves it be, ifn he knows what's good for him"...

Everyone else (in various hiding spots):
The hub-bub of voices continue from near the entrance gate. Over to the north-west the glow of fire continues unabated, those working to douse that fire certainly have a job on their hands.
Anne Dewar,Based on nothing more than a loose description there is nothing to puzzle out at the moment.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think I know enough yet to figure out what these numbers mean," whispers Anne. "I'll have to look at the ones in the church too."

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:58 pm
by Priest
Anne Dewar,My apolgies I thought you were refering to the number Sister Francis Mary had found in the church :oops: As it is obvious now that you meant the spiral numbers written around each screw head on the casket, you may try a [b]Puzzle Things Out[/b] roll.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:23 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy nods at Anne's words. "Well, we shall have to wait till those fellows depart." he says in hushed tones.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne ponders the meaning of the numbers on the coffin while she waits, discerning a pattern to them.
OOC,Puzzle Things Out roll about the numbers on the coffin: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:56 am
by Priest
Anne Dewar,You may ask 3 questions pertaining to the puzzle, or take 1 lore. The questions should be relevant to the puzzle, for example; have I seen such a puzzle before? Where have I seen one before?

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If I take the Lore, does that mean I don't get any information about the puzzle, or do I simply get whatever information you decide to tell me?

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:36 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca copies down the numbers in her reporters notebook for future reference while waiting for the coast to clear.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:51 pm
by Priest
Hidden amongst the deeper shadows of the wall, Tommy and Anne crouch beside the wooden casket. Tommy peers nervously in the direction of the church gates from where voices can be heard in discussion, while Anne, the collar of her raincoat turned high to add shadow to her features, wrinkles her brow in thought.
Anne Dewar,If you take the Lore you do not get to ask questions. If you choose the questions you get to ask 3 questions appertaining to the subject, in this case the spiraling numbers (if, what who type questions) the questions will be answered as truthfully as they can be. So your choice the Lore point or the questions.
Tommy Stone,You do not think that the noise of opening the casket will be heard by those near the gate.
Close by Rebecca, using her overcoat to shield her light, carefully notes down the numbers she had seen spiraling around the screw heads of the caskets locking plate. While Harry Blake, still desperately trying to regulate his breathing so that the sound will not attract unwanted attention, squirms deeper into the shadows of his hiding place and waits...
[/color]

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Eureka!" hisses Anne, still being quiet to keep from being overheard, but not able to contain her excitement completely. "Each number in the sequence after the first two is equal to the sum of the two numbers preceding it. -3 plus 7 equals 4, 7 plus 4 make 11...but then the next number is 3, not 15. And then there's a 10, not a 26. But wait! 10 plus -3 equals 7. The numbers go around in a circle, so they must start with the 10. The only number that doesn't fit the pattern is the 3. I wonder what the numbers in the church are? They may clear things up."
OOC,I'll take the Lore. I think I can solve the number puzzle myself.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:49 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"I think we can open the casket here without being heard by those new arrivals... who's got that screwdriver? Tommy asks in a low voice.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've got it," whispers Anne. "Let me just try something first." She touches the number 3 on the casket, hoping there's a hidden button or catch that will make it safe to open once pressed.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy looks on "Do you think there is a secret compartment?" he asks, wondering why Anne is prodding at the lock plate.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's one possibility," says Anne. "Or there might be some sort of trap that has to be disarmed before the casket can be safely opened."

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:27 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"Really? Good grief... what have we gotten ourselves into? Do you want me to open the casket... just in case?" Tommy asks, his chivalrous nature surfacing at the most inopportune moment.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:03 am
by Priest
Anne's questing fingers fail to trigger any concealment device. After several attempts to locate a switch you remain with nothing more that an interesting enigma, surely the spiraling numbers mean something, but just what remains a mystery.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says Anne. She hands Tommy the screwdriver and, not entirely consciously, moves away from the coffin.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:45 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Tommy will open the casket... with caution.  

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:36 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca Conner, reporter

Rebecca leans forward as Tommy opens the casket, the camera around her neck bumping into the wood. She helps if necessary. This is the moment she has been waiting for.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:16 pm
by Priest
Slowly with a modicum of effort,Tommy, using the screwdriver, turns the screws. A few moments later the screws have been removed, without incident, and the locking plate is loose. Then with a little more effort the lid of the casket is swung open, its hinges making no sound...
Eagerly you all lean forward to see..nothing, as you had surmised the casket is empty. Yet an impression left by a body is plain to see as is something that shines, dully, where the feet may have rested...

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"What is that?" asks Anne, leaning closer for a better look. "Is this a dagger I see before me?" she adds, quoting the Bard.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:44 am
by Priest
Anne,Leaning closer you see that it is a kind of dagger, but far to ornate to be of any use for anything other than ceremonies, fancy dress, or opening envelopes. The blade has been engraved with letters, although in the dark it is impossible to make out what it says.
[/color]

The sound of voices, and the occasional light beam, seems to have moved away further towards the gate. It would seem that the sister has calmed the situation.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is a daggger," whispers Anne, removing it from the coffin. "This must be the one I sought, but I was expecting a functional weapon, not something purely decorative. Still, this could conceivably be lethal in the wrong hands. There's writing engraved on the blade, but it's too dark to make it out. I dare not light the lantern until our visitors are gone - and we're inside the church. That will help keep the light from being seen from outside."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:05 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca Conner, reporter

Rebecca muffles her flashlight to provide dim illumination to look at the dagger. Those squiggly lines look like some writing, though none she's ever seen.

The New York Mirror reporter than grabs the casket cloth in which the body impression has been made and tears it back to expose the wood. She starts tapping the bottom, running from top to bottom.

"It wasn't a dagger I was expecting to find," explains Rebecca as she taps around. "Mason had papers - personal notes, letters, and a controversial story draft - that I believe were buried with him. Nosing around for the scoop, I talked with Mason's funeral home director who said the coffin was unusual and hand-crafted. Which led me to talking with the builder, who after some financial persuasion said there were secret compartments."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:57 am
by Priest
With the flashlight mostly covered, there is just enough light to make out that the letters are some form of Latin inscription. Age has worn them so the writing is difficult to make out and makes the script almost unrecognisable, however, it reads;
‘Deleth Viae Patent’ .

With a snort of dismissal over the dagger, Rebeccca begins a wild investigation of the erstwhile empty casket, and finds nothing hidden inside. Luckilly her tapping of the wood is far too quiet to carry to the cemetery gate, where it seems the unexpected visitors have been ushered by Sister Francis Mary.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"It says 'Deleth Viae Patent,'" says Anne as she studies the inscription. "It's Latin, but my Latin is rusty, so I'm not sure what it means. Sister Frances Mary should be able to translate it when she gets back. It makes sense that there would be secret compartments. I was expecting something of the sort. Perhaps those numbers are the key to opening it somehow. I've identified the one that doesn't fit - the three - but I don't know how to use that information."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:04 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"Shhhh" Tommy hisses, "We don't want to be caught now..." he peers into the darkness, trying to make out whether Sister Frances Mary has deterred the men from entering the cemetery.... or not.

Unable to be sure what is occurring near to the gates he starts to move off in that direction... keeping low and using the grave-stones as cover.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 pm
by Priest
Tommy, as you get closer to the entrance and the three figures. you overhear the conversation just enough to guess that the visitors have been put at ease by whatever Sister Francis Mary had said. Clearly lit up by the flashlight they carry are two men, as you settle in behind a gravestone you can hear one speaking, "Well I guess all seems quiet here. We'll be going now Sister, got to report in. Wouldn't want any hot headed types rushing up here with the wrong idea"
From the way the final words are accompanied by the creak of hinges it would seem that the gate has been opened. For a few moments there is silence then car doors can be heard opening and closing with a thud, this is quickly followed by a car's engine turning over.
It seems the visitors have departed...

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm
by Supercape
Harry Blake vexed in the shadows. To be seen, or not to be seen? By nature he was a gregarious sort, but there seemed danger afoot.

"Blast it, what is going on? is it safe?" he hissed in progressively louder tones through the darkness to the ears of his conspirators.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think they're leaving," whispers Anne.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary gently ushers the two men back towards the lych gate, smiling and nodding as they assure themselves that everything is fine. Yes I quite understand she says at the suggestion that her presence needs to be reported and it's good to know that there are stout hearted and good men keeping a watchful eye on our Lord's place of worship

She watches as they get back into their automobile. As the engine fires up and they start to drive off, she smiles and gives them a gentle wave goodbye. As the car disappears around the corner she turns swiftly and heads back to the others - her curiosity as to what may be in the casket nagging at her mind.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:40 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy stops when he sees Sister Frances Mary walking back. Making sure that there's no-one with her he steps our from his current hiding place "That was good work, we don't want any 'more' snoopers around... we got the casket open... no body... just a fancy 'dagger'." he says as they move back to where the casked is and the others are gathered.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:18 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca measures, with her reporter notebook as an impromptu ruler, if the bottom of the inside of the casket is higher than the exterior bottom. And similarly with the inside-outside sides of the casket.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Sister," says Anne with a smile. She shows her the dagger. "I think this is what I was looking for. There's a Latin inscription: 'Deleth Viae Patent' Can you please translate it?"

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm
by Grognardsw
"It's got to be here," Rebecca mutters determinedly as she measures bottoms and sides. "It's just got to be. Wait! Is this something?"

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:55 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,that sounds like[b] 'Poke Around'[/b], please roll 2d6 + Luck On a 10+, select 1 of the following: Find 1 good item (Keeper’s choice) 1 minor item (your choice) 1 clue (+1ongoing when acted upon) or pick one from 7-9 table. On a 7–9, you may: Find hidden area/threshold (in/out) (Keeper’s Choice) Find minor item (Keeper’s choice) Determine a physical hazard if one is present On a 6- Nasty!!

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:46 pm
by Grognardsw

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:01 pm
by Priest
Previously Rebecca said:   "Wait! Is this something?"  
Rebbecca's whispered question causes everyone to stop and look around. Has she found something? Is there something that Anne had failed to notice? At that moment the church bell begins a monotonous tolling that echoes across the cemetery and the quiet town.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better get inside the church," suggests Anne. "We need to find out who rang that bell, and we don't want to be out in the open if those two come back or someone else shows up here."

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:39 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

With a curse Tommy swings towards the church and sets off, as Anne starts to speak. Moving at a slow trot, arms flailing as his feet skid on the muddy ground he picks his way through the various grave markers and stone monuments. The tolling of the bell rings out, slow and mournful in the dead of night... it needed to be silenced and quickly!

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 am
by Supercape
Harry emerged from his hiding place, wiping his brow.

"The bells, the bells!" he muttered, fingers in ears. "I can't hear myself think. How they vibrate in my skull! I shall need a stiff drink!"

His lumbering rotund form followed Tommy's.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:18 am
by Grognardsw
Spoiler:
Grognardsw wrote:Rebecca measures, with her reporter notebook as an impromptu ruler, if the bottom of the inside of the casket is higher than the exterior bottom. And similarly with the inside-outside sides of the casket.
OOC:   Did the measurements show the casket to be of correct proportions?  

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne also hurries for the church door.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:15 pm
by Priest
Arriving at the church door you find it several inches ajar, though Sister Francis Mary swears she had closed it when she had left the church earlier. Inside the silence seems acute, like something waiting, holding its breath. Luckilly the still burning candles allow you a fairly good view of the interior, and the half open door to the bell tower.
From above you, closer now, comes the sudden toll of the bell, as if in summons to the worshippers.

Rebecca,sorry my bad. Although the measurements do indeed show a slight anomaly there seems to be little evidence of any secret compartment.
Sister Francis Mary,The words etched on the dagger's blade seem to be Latin. Badly worn by time, you are able to make out the words 'Deleth Vitae Patent' which you translate to be 'The Way is Open'.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:48 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy pauses on the threshold with one hand on the thick wooded door, a quick glimpse inside shows the way to be clear and the bell tolls once more.

Spurred on by the fear that the sounds of the tolling bell may draw back the people that Sister Francis Mary had sent on their way or wake some of the townsfolk and prompt them to investigate, Tommy strides over to the door to the bell-tower which was half open. Wishing that he still had hold of the spade which he had recently been using, he pushed the door wider...

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne follows Tommy up the stairs, lighting her lantern now that she's indoors.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca kicks the coffin in frustration as the others scamper to the church. Were her sources wrong? The measurements aren't perfect, but could be close enough. She'd need to take a saw or crowbar to the damn thing. The bulldog reporter stomps off to the tool shed Harry and the Sister visited.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:29 pm
by Priest
For those in the Church:
At the top of the stairs leading to the bell room you see a young girl standing close to a still swinging rope. As you enter the room she turns and looks at you with eyes that seem to show no comprehension of her whereabouts or activity. She is dressed in a ludicrous, for this time of night and place, billowy green party dress. Her hair which seems a mousey brown colour is held in place by a yellow ribbon tied in a bow...

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Must you ring that bell, young lady?" asks Anne. "It's so loud!"

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:30 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Stunned, Tommy stops in his tracks, whoever he expected to find ... well it wasn't this.

Anne's voice snaps him from his frozen state and he steps over and takes the rope and holds it out of the girls reach, so that she can't continue to ring the bell.

"Are... are you lost?" he asks.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:58 pm
by Priest
The girl stares at the two for a moment, her eyes showing no hint of suprise at their sudden appearance. She smiles a childish smile, one that stops just below her eyes which continue to analyze you as someone might a strange insect.
"No...Are you?"

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, we're not lost," says Anne, studying the child with equal intensity. "What's your name?"
OOC,Can I Read a Person?

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

For some reason the girl unnerves Tommy "We're not lost, we came to see what all the noise was about. What are you doing here, you shouldn't be out at this hour... we can take you home.." he blurts out.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:48 pm
by Priest
The girl ignores the detctives question paying him liitle attention other than a minute flinch as he steadies the bell rope. She continues to stare defiantly at Anne, as if being happy to indulge in a stare battle, "My name is Molly, not that it is of any business of yours. As to what I am doing here, that is my concern" For a brief instant her stare flicker from Anne to Tommy, in that brief instant he seems to feel an icy cold draught that comes from nowhere and dissipates immediately.
Anne,Give me an idea of what you are looking for and I will decide whether it requires a roll or not.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:43 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca reaches the shed. The reporter starts looking for a crowbar or saw.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I want to know what her intentions are and why she's here.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:42 am
by Priest
Anne,At this stage there is nothing to be gained from a roll. She is little more than a blank canvas, you can see nothing which would give you any indications. The whole situation seems odd, from her clothing to why she is here, but you can definately get a feeling of danger from the girl, and something deep inside your being seems to shout "don't ask too many questions, you may not like the answers"
Rebecca,As you root around the shed trying to find a crowbar, you spot one amongst a pile of overturned tools. As you reach for it you hear distant voices and fast moving footsteps heading towards the cemetery gates. It seems that others may have heard the ringing bell, and are coming fast
[/color]

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 pm
by Supercape
Harry was slumped on one of the Churches cold hard seats. He felt cold. He felt a cold sweat on his brow.

He didn't speak. He hardly moved. Instead, he studied the girl with his fierce eyes. For all his blustering bulk, behind that cumbersome flesh was a sharp mind. A mind that knew people. That was how he wrote.

"Molly...Molly..." he whispered under his breath. How did she get here? Why that dress?

Why is a child ringing a church bell?

It was preposterous, the whole thing. But this was a preposterous night. Was there some symbolism to Molly, some reason for her insane appearance, not to mention demeanour? Harry had read plenty of superstitions, mythologies, and anthropologies. Hell, he had often recycled them in his novels...
Spoiler:
If that studious eye warrants a puzzle things out roll, then [dice]0[/dice] +2 for Passion and "Creative Thinker". Makes 8, a partial success so I think 2 questions with "Creative Thinker"? if its appropriate, the how she got here and why the dress (or yellow bow!)

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne is about to ask Molly how old she is, but then she thinks better of it. She has a feeling that she won't like the answer. The girl seems far more mature than her apparent age.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:14 pm
by Priest
The child, Molly, turns her intense stare to ech of you in turn. As she stares at each of you there is something deeply unsettling in it as if she is seeing through to the very core of your being. Then with a hint of venom that catches you all by suprise coming from a young girl, she hisses,
"No matter, they will be here soon so if you are gonna run you might start now" then she turns to the hulking form of Harry Blake still taking wracking breaths due to the climb up the stairs, "However running may not be such a good idea for a fat man like you". She smiles but it is not one born of pleasantness.
In the silence that falls following her acidic comment, you hear the sound of distant voices heading towards the church...

Anne,the girl looks to be in her early teens.
Harry,you gain nothing from staring at Molly, just more questions. However your study does reveal words scratched into one of the posts supporting the bell apparatus.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca grabs the crowbar, cracks open the door, and sees if the coast is clear. If not, she stays until it is. If it is clear, she runs to the coffin and starts prying at the seams of the coffin where the measurements she took earlier showed a discrepency.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:27 am
by Supercape
"Nasty child!" said Harry, clenching his fists. "I may be to fat to run, but I'll tan your hide!" he said, aggressively. Still, he refrained himself. Hitting children was a step to far. Instead, he turned his attention to the bells.

"I wish there was a reverse signal. Stay away! Don't come here!" he suggested, and brushed his hand to the posts, and the word he had seen...

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"You can't unring a bell," says Anne. "Come on, we have no reason to stay here any longer." She hurries down the stairs.
OOC,When I can, I'd like to use my Lore move on the dagger. I have a point of Lore from the Puzzle Things Out roll earlier, but it was never updated on my character sheet.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:01 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,It is but the work of moments to rip the casket, despite the noise produced. Checking the area of discrepancy you find that there is sufficient space left between the bottom of the casket to include a hidden space, if such was needed, however there is no evidence of the intention or its use. From the direction of the cemetery entrance comes the sound of feet and voices, it seems the investigators of the bell are within the cemetery near the door to the church. At the sound of wood being pried open the voices stop as if the owners were listening.
Harry,Carved into the post are the following words, [b]'Leave the Point be, you have been warned!!'[/b]. The carving looks fairly recent as if done in the past few days.
Anne,you rush down the stairs into the main area of the building. The main door is open as you had left it, ouside you can hear the crunch of many feet on the gravel of the path accompanied by voices and the flicker of lights. From somewhere ouside comes the sound of wood being torn apart, the voices stop abruptly and for a moment the cemetery is silent, then,[b] "It came from yonder, you four go check out the bell. The rest of you come with me"[/b]
[/color]

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:52 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca swears like a sailor. Clutching the crowbar, the dame reporter moves off into the night to avoid the approaching men.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:13 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,As you quickly disapear into the darkness, putting as much distance as you safely can between yourself and the abandoned grave site, you see a flashlights beam play in the direction of Mason's empty grave. Then a voice is raised, obviously they have reached the scene you so recently vacated. [b]"There's no one here it must have been..What the hell?"[/b] For a moment the lights beam sweeps around the cemetery,[b] "Quick get to the church tell Otis that someones been up to no good...Oh yeah keep an eye out for that nun that Murdoch reckoned was up here, she has some questions to answer I reckon"[/b] You hear the sound of running footsteps heading away towards the church, as whoever is holding the flashlight begins a more carefull search of the area. You reckon you have but minutes before you are found... [size=150]What do you do?[/size]
[/color]

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:53 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca peeks at the scene from behind a gravestone. She sees the man with the flashlight begin to search. The journalist throws the crowbar far to the right, hopefully creating a distraction, then crawls left keeping behind the row of concealing gravestones. She makes her way to the edge of the cemetary near woods and the road.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne quickly looks around for another exit from the church, or failing that a hiding place, staying out of sight of the open door.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:06 pm
by Papa Gateau

At the sound of the voices Sister Frances Mary heads back towards the lich-gate. Seeing the flashlight and hearing the mention of the 'nun' she quickly looks for cover and somewhere to hide, shielding her face with the dark cloth of he wimple.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 pm
by Supercape
Harry rued his ungainly physique as his "comrades" fled to hide. He could neither run fast, or far, and his belly would make many hiding places uncomfortable at best, and most likely redundant.

"Well this is a sorry state" he appealed to himself, before lumbering off to find some hiding place...

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy left the girl, following Anne into the main body of the church. Looking around he quickly selected a hiding spot near to the main door where he would remain in the shadows. He planned to slip out the main door once those tasked with 'checking the bell' has entered.
OOC:   It's normal for churches in England for the 'bell-ringers' to be on the ground level, is this the same in the USA? Or in this Church?
Was the girl in this room, or up in the belfry itself?  

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:38 pm
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   It's normal for churches in England for the 'bell-ringers' to be on the ground level, is this the same in the USA? Or in this Church?
Was the girl in this room, or up in the belfry itself?  
OOC:   Good point, I hadn't thought about it, I just assumed that she was in a small room halfway up the tower just below the actual bellroom.  
With possible moments to spare those within the church manage to find hiding spots. As you do so the crunch of feet on grave approach the door, "Best not be in too much of an all fired hurry to push the door open, you aint knowing what might be within the church waitin'". The voice seems harsh filled with smoldering violence and viciousness, it is not a voice you recognise but it isn't one you would soon forget.
"No worries boss, Hennesey and his scattergun will make sure we don't get any nasty suprises" The statement is followed by several barks of laughter showing that as well as this 'Boss' character there must be at least five people outside the door.
"Okay Orv take it slow" the cold voice speaks again, and the door slowly opens.
At that moment running feet crunch across the gravel, "Sherrif, Marv sent me to tell you that someone has dug up old Masons grave and scattered it to the winds"
In answer the icy voice raises "Shit, Orv you, Hennesey and Kilroy take a look inside. The rest of you come with me, and Murdoch tell me again about this nun you seen".

Anne,your glance around the church in search of a hiding place reveals a partialy hidden door to the left of the altar.
Sister Frances Mary,Luckilly there are lots of grave markers and various bushes to provide cover. It seems the visitors are heading for the church when several of them seem to be drawn to noises from further into the cemetery. Within moments thay have moved past you.
Rebecca,the flashlight beam seems to come directly at you as you slide through the graves heading for the boundary of the road, Please roll 'Act under pressure' roll+reason.
[/color]

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is that where I've hidden?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 pm
by Priest
Anne,[quote="Mr. Handy"]OOC,Is that where I've hidden?[/quote] The door is noticed during the few moments you are searching for a hiding place. If you wish to hide there say so.
[/color]

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca stressing out,[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=78493&macid=0]Act under pressure roll+reason [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7, [2d6+2] = 6+2 = 8[/url] [ooc]Not sure if its 1 or 2d6.[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:51 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,its 2d6 so you scored 8. For a moment it seems you are free and clear the light beam sweeps towards you missing you by mere inches. However the moment takes you slightly unawares, your left foot catches in tangled undergrowth and you pitch forwards with a loud thud just a few feet from the stone wall that marks the cemetery's boundary from the road. As the dull THUD! rings out the flashlight races across the ground towards you and a loud voice calls out, "You there stop" At that same moment the light seems to catch something metalic a few feet from your outstretched right hand, something that shines a reflection. Your choice is simple do you grab the object or flee to the wall, you have only one chance to do either.[size=150] Choose one.[/size]
[/color]

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, as long as I could have hid there before anyone entered the church. If I was already in another hiding spot, which it appeared from the description that I might have been, it wouldn't be safe to move.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:22 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca's editor would be more upset at an arrested reporter, than at one who came back with no story.

She runs.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:51 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,Followed by shouts of "STOP!!" you quickly surge to your feet, ignoring the sharp pain in your left foot, and vault over the low stone wall to vanish amongst a small group of trees several yards along the road. For several moments as you wait with baited breath you see a figure shine a flashlight up and down the road. Suddenly a new voice, one used to command, yells out from a few yards further along the wall, cemetery side, [b]"Don't stand there waving the flashlight around like a dummy, get back to town and fetch the dogs, Somethin' wrong has been happening and I mean to get to the bottom of this"[/b]
Those within the church: From the sound of it, most of the visitors have left the church entrance to investigate the open grave. But relief is brief, as the door slowly inches its way open to reveal three shadowy figures one armed with what must be some kind of shotgun, "If'n there's anyone in there, best you come on out before Hennesy begins shootin'".
Anne,you can slip behind the door moments before the arrival of the sherrif and his men. The door is about five feet high, arched of solid oak. Inside it is pitch black and you can see nothing, however you can feel that there are a series of stone steps leading down. In the distance, somewhere beyond the steps, you can hear the relentless drip of water hitting something hollow - thud, thud, thud. As you turn towards the sound you are aware of two things; first, a gentle draft that seems to be coming from the same direction as the dripping noise. Second, something gently brushes your face... ('Act under Pressure', roll (2d6)+reason)
[/color]

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

It's just cobwebs, thinks Anne, but she cannot fight the rising feeling of panic.
OOC,Roll+Reason to Act Under Pressure: [dice]0[/dice] D'oh! :oops:

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:15 pm
by Supercape
Blake felt his heart come through his mouth, and a terror grip him. Somehow, the start reality of a shotgun, physical and material, was so much more horrible than the ethereal and supernatural possibilities that he entertained a thousand times in his imagination, when writing his pulp. Perversely, he could swallow being eaten by a ghost, but the thought of being shot was terrible.

"I surrender! I surrender!" he said, coming out of hiding behind the church organ with his hands held firmly up. "Please Mr. Hensey, don't shoot!"

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy's heart thuds loudly as he hears a group of men enter the church... he feels around trying to locate something to use as a weapon, something to bludgeon the would be assailants with. If he could get the drop on them as they made their way further into the church he might be able to even the odds a little. Silently he cursed his decision to leave his pistol behind before he made his journey to this cursed church-yard... his groping hands made contact with something....
Poke Around,[dice]0[/dice] (if appropriate)

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:00 pm
by Priest
In the church: As the figures begin to enter the building the ominous shape of a shotgun before them, there is a moment of confusion as Harry Blake steps out from the shadows hands high his voice raised several octaves with fear. The advancing figures halt and the double barrels of the shotgun swing towards Harry, "Okay feller just stand still and keep those hands up, the 'Colonel' here has a light trigger and I'd hate to twitch it through suprise". From alonside him comes a sharp laugh, "Yeah and a big guy like you would' look good hanging on his wall".
More laughter, "Okay any more in here? Come out now it'll be better for you than havin' us come lookin'".

Anne,You try your best to maintain your cool, but having something brush your face in the dark is a little too much. In a moment you find yourself at the bottom of a short flight of stone steps, luckilly unhurt although your right shoulder throbs a bit. As you move your right hand towards you shoulder, it comes into contact with metal...
Tommy,your groping hand comes into contact with something of a familiar feel. It is a shoe, a childs shoe.
[/color]

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:42 pm
by Supercape
Priest wrote:"Okay feller just stand still and keep those hands up, the 'Colonel' here has a light trigger and I'd hate to twitch it through suprise". From alonside him comes a sharp laugh, "Yeah and a big guy like you would' look good hanging on his wall".
More laughter, "Okay any more in here? Come out now it'll be better for you than havin' us come lookin'".
Harry Ignored the jibe about his weight. He had endured much and worse, and it bothered him less than a fig.

"Gentlemen, it is a Church. In the middle of a black night. With firearms being brandished. No sane man would be here, and even an insane one would have fled!" he answered, without answering.

"Pardon my nerves, gentlemen, but I am afflicted with a distrust of firearms, particularly when aimed my why. You have no need of intimidating me, for I can assure you I am already intimidated. As you can see, I am of no threat, unless you take objection to my profuse sweating..." he joked, wiping his duly sweating brow.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] +2 for "read a person", if that fits! = 8 which I think is one question - which means, if appropriate, I will ask "What does your character intend to do"? Hope I have that right.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm
by Priest
In the church: At your remark about it being a church you elicit a bunch of nervous sounding laughs, "Well feller" says the shotgun wielder who you figure is the one called Hennesy, "I don't reckon I like the idea of shootin' somebody in a church. So ifn I was you I would just ease on over here slow, where we can get a good look at you".
Without taking his eyes from you he speaks out of the corner of his mouth, "Jed you'd best go find Otis an' tell him we caught us a stranger hangin' about the church". Footsteps attest to one of the three moving away into the cemetery.
"Now big guy, I'm guessin' that it weren't you a ringin' that bell. So why don't you tell us who's in here with you, might go easier with you when Otis comes back"

Harry,yeah, the question is "What do they intend to do?" From the casual way that Hennesy is waving the shotgun around, you get the feeling he won't shoot. They seem to be more concerned with finding out what's going on.
[/color]

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne takes a look at the metal to see what it is.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:35 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca waits among the trees across the road. She moves through them up the road to the church to make out what cars may bevparked there. If she can safely creep up to note the license plate she will.
Spoiler:
OOC:   How did she hurt her foot? I missed that.  

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:24 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,A sudden comotion in the cemetery draws the strangers to the remains of Mason's grave. Although you are to far away to overhear what is being said, it seems they have found someone within the church. Once it is clear you are able to easily creep within sight of the two cars that have parked several yards down from the church entrance. Both of the cars have local license plates and one is emblazoned with 'Ebon Eaves Sheriff's Deparment' both cars appear to be empty, but the occasional glow of a lighted cigarette from the shadows of the church yard gateway marks the position of at least one guard. (You twisted your ankle when you tripped over the undergrowth. It reduces your ability to run for it)
Anne,It is pitch black but from its feel the metal seems to be cylindrical and rises verticaly. Moving your hand left and right of the cylinder reveals identical rods at regular intervals. The sound of dripping water is closer and the gentle draft is coming from beyond what are obviously railings. (if you still have the lantern and a match you might see where you are, but of course a light might betray your position to whoever you can hear shouting inside the main body of the church.
[/color]

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I make a Puzzle Things Out roll to try to figure out what this thing is?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"A shoe!" he thought, realising what he had discovered, maybe he could throw it to create a diversion and try to flee the Church? Deciding against that, the men sounded edgy and although he's only just met the fat author he would feel bad if the man was peppered with buck-shot, Tommy carefully put the she back, it wasn't much use as a weapon either.

"All-right.. All-right, I'm coming out.. I'm not armed.." Tommy stepped out from his hiding place, hands held high, clearly empty.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:54 pm
by Priest
Anne,sure you can roll+reason On a 10+, ask 3 from below OR gain 1 Lore. On a 7–9, ask 1: • What is this? • What does this mean? • How can I get in/out/pass? • Who’s in control here? • Which enemy before me is the most dangerous? • What is its weakness? • What should I keep an eye out for? • How does __________ fit into ______________?
In the church: The sudden appearance of Tommy causes a few moments of consternation amongst the newcomers, Then the shotgun wielder, obviously the guy called Hennesy, moves the weapon to cover him, "Jumpin' Jiminy there's another one, best you step forward slowly mister ifn you don't want to upset the 'colonel' here". As he speaks the other guy shorter and stouter than the gunman steps forward, in the church's candlelight you see the glitter of a badge on his jacket front.
"Okay guy, you heard Hennesy step on up and let's get a look at you. You and the big guy as well"[/color]

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca carefully moves back into the woods. She waits and watches.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne ponders the strange metallic contraption.
OOC,Puzzle Things Out roll (2d6+Reason) about the metal thing: [dice]0[/dice] My questions: What is this? How can I get in/out/pass? How does the metal thing fit into the church? I do still have the lantern, but I'm not lighting it now, as it could draw attention.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:11 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy slow;y steps forward, "Easy with that shotgun, no one wants to get hurt." his mind races, trying to come up with a story. He catches sight of the badge and the germ of an idea develops.

"Y.. you're a deputy?" he asks, injecting a note of relief in his voice. "See.. Harry there's nothing to be worried about..." he adresses the group of men again "You sure gave us a fright and that's for sure, some weird things have been happening here!"

Tommy studies the group.. the man with the bade in particular.
OOC:   Read a Person,[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:34 pm
by Priest
In the church:
At Tommy's words the short guy with the badge, puffs out his chest, "Yeah I sure am, so you'd best watch your step".
For a few moments silence decends as though both the deputy and Hennesy were considering Tommy's words, then the deputy speaks again, "Watcha mean wierd?"

Tommy,an 8 gives allows you to ask me one question from the following; • Does he seem to be hiding something? • Does he truly represent a threat? • What does he intend to do? • What does he wish I would do? • How could I get him to _____?
Anne,even in the total darkness your touch quickly reveals the you stand before a gate. You can feel a latch and hinges that open away from you. It feels like a grilled doorway possibly leading to some kind of crypt perhaps. The latch does lift and the gate gives enough to show you that it is unlocked and relatively well maintained.
[/color]

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:37 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone
Read a Person,Then I would like the answer to: How could I get him to [i]let Tommy and Harry go on their way[/i]? If it helps, I had planned something along the lines of... weird... we yes Harry and I were driving back from visiting x (or passign through town) and we saw someone running into the churchyard... looked like a young girl... we though 'now that's very odd' and deducing that she was in trouble we parked up and followed, after all the girl was probably in some kind of trouble or lost.. we looked about the churchyard, saw nothing, then we heard the bell .. we came into the church... the girl was ringing the bell ... she said someone was coming and we ought to get out of here, then we hear ppl outside...

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne takes a little oil from the lantern and rubs it on the gate's hinges to silence them. There's no telling how infrequently anyone comes down here. That done, she opens the gate, slips inside, and replaces the latch as she found it. If the men upstairs do manage to find the hidden door and come down here, she doesn't want them to realize that someone has already been this way.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:06 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca nervously waits and watches from concealment of woods.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:58 pm
by Priest
Anne,within a few seconds you stand on the opposite side of the gate. The operation was noisless, courtesy of the oil, however you are still stood in total darkness with no idea of what awaits you. From the direction you have just come muffled voices atest to the precense of people above in the church, but from the level of sounds it seems the door is an effective barrier to noise. Your hand feels the precens of the few remaining matches in the matchbook that you had taken from the author chap.
Rebecca,From your position you can easily see the figures moving through the cemetery towards the church, it seems that something inside has taken the attention away from you.
[/color]

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:25 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sister Frances Mary waits as the men pass her and head into the church.

After a few moments listening and hearing no gun fire, she heads towards their vehicle with the intention of escaping the churchyard before pausing obviously in two minds. She turns and heads back to the church, striding purposefully.

She walks through the door, making no effort to conceal her footsteps, she stops and takes in the scene before her before exclaiming in a stern and commanding voice

Gentleman! What in the Good Lord's Name is occurring here? This is a House of God! How dare you bring a weapon, a means of violence into his holy domain.

Who is in charge here? Explain yourselves to me and by the Good Lord I hope you have a very good reason to be brandishing firearms in this church because if you do not the bishop will hear about this and your lives will not be worth living!

Keeper,I'm trying my Lore move (Smite) which lets me Take Control/Threaten. I'm, not exactly sure of the game mechanics for this! Anyway I get to roll+Luck for this and I get +1 for all luck rolls so I think I'm as roll+3 [dice]0[/dice] edit my bad roll should have been 2d6+3 so here's that extra d6 [dice]1[/dice] Total 2+6+3=11

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:27 pm
by Priest
In the church: The sudden appearance of a nun behind them, looming throgh the doorway, causes both men to turn. At the imperious commanding voice they seem to visibly shrink. Hennesy seems to struggle with himself for a few moments before lowering the barrels of the shotgun towards the floor, "Jesus!...Sorry maam, don't mean no offense. You just caught me by suprise there"
At the same moment the deputy took on the appearance of a small boy caught doing somethinh he ought not to be doing. Nervously he started wringing his fingers all thoughts of his prisoners driven from his mind by the spectre he now saw stalking towards him, "Umm, Sheriff sent us to check out the bell ringing". He finished his words with a lame smile

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:51 pm
by Supercape
Harry lowered his hands, relieved that Tommy was by his side. The prospect of them being on the right side of the law was doubly reassuring.

Harry could did not spy the small boy, but he picked up on Hennesy's nerves. He shared them.

"The Sherriff?..." he asked, not entirely credulous. "Does he regularly stay awake to the early hours of the morning listening for the faint toll of distant bells?"

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

With the door securely closed and blocking the view from the stairs, Anne strikes a match and lights the lantern so she can see her surroundings.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:43 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca watches Sister Mary stride into the church and hopes for the best.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:33 pm
by Priest
Rebecca,As you watch the activity at the church from the shadows, you notice that a few seconds after the Sister's entrance several figures appraoch the entrance. From their direction of approach you guess these were the ones who had been at the grave, and you guess that one of them, obviosly the leader, is, from the distinctive shape of his hat, the town sheriff Otis Farnberger. The best avoided 'strong arm' of the law in Ebon Eaves. [b]OOC: You can try and creep a little closer and overhear what is happening within the church, but it will require you to roll 'Act under Pressure' (Roll [2d6]+ Reason) to avoid the person watching the cemetery gate
[/b][/color]

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   What happened to Tommy's 'Read a Person' result?  

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:56 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca stays put, not wanting to push her luck.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:58 pm
by Priest
In the church: For a few seconds the church became a scene of almost total confusion. The dramatic entrance of Sister Francis Mary seems to have caught the deputy and Hennesy off guard and adds to the confusion being caused by Tommy’s detailed explanation for his and Harry’s presence in the church, having been drawn there by the ringing of the bell. However the unexpected arrival of the sheriff, heavy set and mean looking as befits his description, Otis Farnberger and several others, soon brings a kind of order to the proceedings.
“That’s her, that’s the nun we told you about”, obviously one of the newcomers had met the good sister before.
Taking his hat off and running a hand through his thinning hair, Farnberger speaks, his voice slow and filled with an underlying hint of brutality, “Now one of you” he glances at Sister Francis Mary, Tommy, and the still white faced Harry Blake, “Best be tellin' me just what's been going on here”.
He listens, somewhat impatiently to Tommy’s explanation of young girls ringing bells, “Okay mister, I’m guessing that this girl is still upstairs?”
“Orv, you and Kilroy here had best go on up and see ifn this feller is talking true...Hennesy you keep watching these two and I don’t care ifn this is the Lord’s house, you keep that scattergun pointed at that guy”, he gestures at Tommy, “The other one looks like he might have a problem fighting his way out of a paper bag”.
To general sniggers the deputy and the one called Kilroy head towards the door to the bell tower.
“Now” says Farberger slowly dropping into one of the pews, “What do you know of an empty grave?”

Anne,as the oil lamp flickers into life you see you are in a brick lined room. Behind you an iron barred gateway separates this room off from a flight of worn stone steps, down which you had surreptitiously slipped a few moments ago, in fact your ankle still throbs as an unnecessary reminder. In the light you can see this room is obviously some form of crypt, although from the age and state of the four caskets you guess it has not been used in many years. From the far left corner of the room comes the steady drip of water, as does a gentle breath of breeze, but from your position you cannot see any source...
Tommy,Sorry I got caught up in the sudden burst of activity and forgot you. Please take a +1 ongoing to use when you like.
[/color]

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Anne makes her way over to where she can detect the draft, looking for another way out of here, perhaps a secret passage.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:32 pm
by Supercape
"An empty grave? Why sir, what do you mean? Have the dead risen?" asked Harry, feigning ignorance and utilising his fear to mimic horror.

"It would seem a Church and a Nun are much in need if Judgement day is upon us! Come, let us pray!" he lied, having no religious belief himself. However, he judged a show of piety would be a worthwhile deception. He fell to his knees, gazed at the ceiling and mumbled some prayer or other to the almighty.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:57 pm
by Priest
Anne:
Armed with your oil lamp, you make your way towards the back of the crypt to where you feel the draft blowing from. Carefully you pick your way through the pices of decaying wood that once formed parts of caskets, amongst the rubbish you find several pices of brass, no doubt from furnishings. You notice that the whole place seems abandoned and long unused, which is strange when the gate had showed signs of maintainance and recent use, whatever theis room is used for it has been long since it was used to simply hold the dead.
In the far corner of the room you see a broken piece of lead pipe protruding from the wall at about head height, it is from this pipe that a constant drip of water emerges. The wall itself seems to be constructed of the same brick as elsewhere however, you swear that you can feel the draft coming from between the bricks.

Anne,Please roll 'Poke Around' (2d6+Luck) [b]On a 10+, select 1 of the following:[/b] Find 1 good item (Keeper’s choice) 1 minor item (your choice) 1 clue (+1ongoing when acted upon) or pick one from 7-9 table. [b]On a 7–9, you may:[/b] Find hidden area/threshold (in/out) (Keeper’s Choice) Find minor item (Keeper’s choice) Determine a physical hazard present (if none, you find that out) [b]On a 6- 'Oh dear[/b]'
Harry:
Farnberger cracks his knuckles, a sound made more ominous by the echo of the church, "You trying to be smart boy? This town has a surplus of wise guys, we sure don't need any more. So ifn you know what's good for you shut your smart mouth or we might just take you down the station for a talk" The lack of humour in his face, and the way he spits the word 'talk', gives you the idea that what he's proposing might not be a good thing.
To his right a tall gangly individual in overalls and a battered hat grins. "Want that I should take fat boy here outside for some fresh air?"
Farnberger just scowls and shakes his head, although you get the impression he means maybe later rather than no, "Now mister about that empty grave?"[/color]

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:32 pm
by Priest
Sister Francis Mary:
Finishing his question to the writer, Farnberger moves his attention to the good sister, "So sister, how about you. Know anything about the empty grave?...Hey Murdoch is thisn the nun you and Stewart claimed to have spoken with earlier?"
The tall, gangly chap nods his head, "Yup that's her alright"

In the church:
As the toing and froing of questions goes on, from the door to the belltower comes the sound of footsteps on wooden stairs, it seems the deputy and Kilroy are heading back down and from the sound of it they are not alone...

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy silently cursed the sudden intrusion of the Nun, her appearance combined with her righteous and belligerent outburst threatening everyone with the Bishop put paid to his attempt to diffuse the situation and their new line of questions regarding an open grave was a real 'spanner in the works'. The fool of an author wasn't helping either his over-blown theatrics were apt to land them in even more hot water. Tommy couldn't rely on the Nun to keep her mouth shut and play along with his 'version of events', so he had to come up with a new plan, maybe one that would save his own skin, things were getting too complicated.

Tommy was about to deny any knowledge of the open grave when the author fell to his knees, what was the man up to? Did he want to get a beating... or worse? Tommy looked around the gloomy interior of the Church, looking for a way out or inspiration... it looked like Tommy had no option but to carry on with his story.

"Yes there's an open grave.. we saw it earlier before we came to see who was ringing the bell, what of it?" yes he could explain that they assumed the grave was freshly dug ready for an interment.

Footsteps coming down from the tower came to his ears... then it hit him... where was Anne if she was still in the belfry then they were in trouble indeed.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:31 pm
by Priest
In the church:
Tommy has his words rudely interupted as the door to the bell tower crashes open. Framed in that doorway are the figures of the deputy and the one that the sheriff had called Kilroy, between them held securely the familiar form of the young bell ringing girl, Molly. Once again Tommy sees the moment snatched from him as the sheriff turns his attention to the new arrivals.
As the group stops the girl manages to extracate her left arm from Kilroy's grasp, then with her finger shaking she points accusingly at the kneeling figure of Harry Blake, "It were him, the fat one did it"

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:40 am
by Mr. Handy

That's got to be a secret passage! thinks Anne, carefully examining the brickwork for cracks or hidden catches.
OOC,Poke Around roll (2d6+Luck) in the crypt: [dice]0[/dice] I want to find a hidden area/threshold.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:33 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"He did what, exactly?" Tommy asks putting on his best 'court-room' voice. They were running out of time, losing the initiative - he needed to know what was going on and what they were dealing with.... trouble was, could he get the Nun and Blake to play along and just where was Anne?

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm
by Priest
Anne,Your groping fingers find several bricks easy to remove, once these are removed you find that a small section of the back wall can be accessed. Not a secret room, or exit as you may have hoped but definitely an area that someone had been at pains to hide. Once accessed you find a room little bigger than a cupboard, which it may once have been. Copious signs of unuse abound, from the half inch or so of mildewed dirt, to the almost forests of dust blackened cobwebs. Sudden movement to the rear of the cupboard hints of the non-abandonment of all the spiderwebs. Yet the small area is not empty, for on an age worn shelf sits a large rectangular box, composed of rusting metal you recognise as a strongbox of an earlier time probably the 1860s. Cautiously you reach out for the brass padlock that seems to be its only lock...

In the Church:
With the sudden reappearance of the deputy, along with the youngster, the interior of the church falls into a deep silence as for a moment the strange accusation sinks in. Tommy is first to react, [/color]
"He did what, exactly?"
At his words all attention is focused on the girl. “Yeah, Molly Parker what did this feller do? And just what are you doing wandering at this time of night?” demands Farnberger, “Henessy point your gun at him and if he so much as blinks shoot him in his damn smart mouth”
Hennesy grins, nods, and levels the twin black barrels of the shotgun at Harry Blake.
Molly Parker smiles, the malicious kind of smile a child might make while pulling the wings off a crane fly, “Ask him about Janey. He knows where she is”.
At the name ‘Janey’, Hennesy pulls back the hammers on his shotgun and both Farnberger and Clay draw their pistols cocking them with ominous clicks.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:53 pm
by Supercape
Harry racked his brains. He had done plenty in his life, but for the life of him he could not think of what he could be accused.

"Janey? Janey?" he blustered. He fancied a wrong word could lead to his brains decorating the church wall behind him.

"Janey, ah yes, Janey, of course!" the only Janey he knew, or at least could think of right now, was some withered old hag that used to act as Hezekiah's maid. Awful, black eyed woman.

"Janey is at Hezekiah's old haunt! through the trees! although what she is doing I do not know!" he guessed, wildly. Fat as he was, he was not fat-headed. He said it with level confidence and false honesty.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne examines the box, particularly the padlock, shining the lantern on it to make sure that there are no nasty poison needles or other traps. If she is satisfied that it is safe, she takes a hairpin and tries to pick the lock.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:04 pm
by Priest
Harry,Please roll 'Convince (roll [2d6]+Affinity. As you are trying to convince them to look in the old Mason house. Tommy Stone or Sister Mary Francis may choose to assist your roll On a 10+, they ask you to promise something first, and then do what you ask once you promise. On a 7–9, they need some concrete assurance first, otherwise they refuse.
Tommy or Sister Mary Francis,You may 'Help' Harry if you choose. In a change to the usual Trust rules, you each have 0- 3 points of trust for each character. You choose how much you trust this character and act acoordingly the levels are +3 trust him as a brother, +2 trust him as a friend, +1 trust him a bit, 0 neither trust or distrust him. Negatives are for you to decide. The points may fluctuate through the adventure depending upon therir future actions, also the levels you choose to assign need not be reciprocated. If you choose to trust him implicitly and assign a +3 to Harry Blake, he may not trust you in return and assign you a 0. So to gain the trust of another character you must earn it, so choose wisely. Ask youselves "Do I trust this man?" and then how much. To 'Help' you roll 2d6+ the number of trust points you choose to add. On a 10+, they take a +2 (help) to their move. On a 7-9, they take a +1 (help) to their move, and you expose yourself to danger, retribution, or other consequences. On a 6 or less: You don't want a -6, believe me
Anne,Please roll a modified 'Act under pressure' (2d6+reason) 10+ success 7-9 success with a consequence 6- whoops!!
[/color]

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:49 pm
by Supercape
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]+2, a 9 which is just off...
Harry wiped his brow and pleased with the gunmen. "Please, gentlemen, if you want to find her, the old house is your best bet. I...er...we..." he paused, looked at Tommy Stone pleadingly..."would be pleased to assist you in this endeavour. Old Hezekiah was a curious fellow, and this is a curious night. Surely there is safety in numbers!"

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Act Under Pressure roll (2d6+Reason): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:19 pm
by Priest
Anne,Despite the age and obvious disuse of the lock eventually you are rewarded with a sharp 'click' and the padlock opens. With its removal, the lid of the strongbox yields, begrudgingly, to your efforts despite its rusted hinges, on the inside of the steel lid you can make out the stamped image of the Federal Eagle under which is the date 1864. Inside you see a small leather bound book, from the accumalated dust would seem to suggest that it has been here, untouched, for as many years as the box. There is also a small leather bag, fastened by a twisted leather lace, which from the state would seem to have been placed here at the same time as the book.
In the church:
Harry begins a stuttering reply to the accusation, although it is plain that he has no idea as to who this 'Janey' is, or where she may be found. As all eyes turn towards him, he glances over at Tommy a pleading look on his face...
[/color]

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne wipes the dust from the book, careful not to make herself sneeze, and removes it from the box. She examines the cover for a title and then opens it, treating it with the care and respect that its age demands.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm
by Priest
Anne,The book looks much older than the box it sits in, The cover seems to be made from leather, but leather from the hide of what creature you do not know. It may have once been a pale leather or as black as pitch, its age has rendered unrecognisable. With the practiced care of one schooled in the care of antiquities you carefully turn the cover, the first page seems to be made of some age yellowed vellum, but again its construction is unknown to you. Where you would expect there to be a title of some sort there is just a random jumble of shapes. Possibly a code of some kind, the only shape you recognise is one that bears an uncanny resemblence to the number 3, this shape, number or whatever it is, is repeated several times amongst the others. Turning further pages of the book shows that each successive page is covered in similiar shapes, the nuber 3 appearing often throughout the close, delicate, drawings. Turning to the leather bag, you note that the leather seems to be recognisable as goat skin. Gently you untie the leather lace revealing a ground whaite powder that looks and feels like common salt.
[/color]

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

Anne carefully closes the leather bag up again and secures it with the leather lace, then places it in her purse with the dagger. Once she has finished leafing through the book, she wraps it up carefully and places it in her purse as well. After verifying that there is nothing else inside the old box, she shuts it and locks up the empty box again with the padlock. Then she makes her way back to the gate and listens at it.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:05 pm
by Priest
Anne: As you move back to the gate and the steps leading up to the door of the crypt. You are able to hear voices beyond, however the thickness of the door, earlier a benefit, now proves a hindrance as it proves impossible to make out what the voices are saying.

Rebecca: From your hiding place in the shadows opposite the cemetery entrance you can hear some sort of commotion occuring within the church. As you watch the figure by the police car moves towards the church, getting close is now a simple matter of stealthy movement.

In the church: Harry's pleading looks seem to have gone unoticed, he flashes a last despairing plea to the stern looking private eye and the, hopefully, more caring Sister Francis Mary. Seeing the way Harry keeps looking at Tommy and the siste,r Farnberger turns towards them, "It seems this'n thinks you may know something about the dissapearance"

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne replaces the bricks where she found them to once again conceal the box, then goes back to the gate, douses her lantern, and cracks the gate open to better hear what is going on beyond.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:00 am
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

Tommy looks up as the Deputy, things were spiralling out of control control again, these men were obviously riled up and acting like a 'wild west posse' he had to try an calm things down. This odd girl.. she obviously had something to hide, her accusation sounded hollow. Tommy needed to slow things down, get these people to start 'thinking' rather than reacting.

"One second, Deputy, I believe you asked this girl 'What she was doing here' I think she should provide an answer, don't you? It's obvious that Harry here doesn't have a clue as to whom this 'Janey' or any 'disappearance' - We would be happy to help you in your search but wild accusations won't help anyone."
OOC:   I think a puzzle things out roll, might be appropriate here: (2d6 +1 (reason)) - i'll keep the ongoing bonus in hand.

[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:02 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Re. Dice roll
Asking: 'Which enemy before me is most dangerous? Seems appropriate.  

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:38 pm
by Priest
In the church: Farnberger, seems to consider Tommy's words, "Ayuh, his fear filled bablin' does sound a bit odd, and you do make a good point" he stares at the girl for a few moments, "Okay Molly Parker, before we get into the why's and wherefores of the missin' Collins girl, how comes you are here in this church at this hour? And do your folks know about your wanderin'?"

Suddenly Molly is all sweetness and light, "Why Sheriff Farnbergeryou know my folks was at the meetin'. As to my being here, I followed Mr Murdoch there when he came lookin' for the lights seen in the cemetery by old man Keats" she smiles a smile of a innocent young girl, but again it doesn't quite meet her eyes, which look flat and ageless.

"That there fat man called me names when he come up stairs. I just thought I'd get my own back by makin' him squirm a mite"
Tommy,In your estimation the most dangerous looking person before you is the girl, there is something odd and more than a little scary about her, The sheriff Farnberger has a look of someone to best avoid annoying, but the girl, even though you guess she can be little more than 13 or 14 years old, seems by far the most dangerous in the church.
[/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:38 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

The hairs on Tommy's neck prickle and raise as he sees the 'cold, almost other-worldly' flat stare in the girls eyes; the vague unease he felt earlier when he first met the girl is multiplied, nothing he can put his finger on, nothing he could prove but she was definitely 'dangerous'.

Her outright lie about Harry calling her names was interesting but not something that he could bring up right now. Just what was the girl up to? Did she have some grudge against Harry? Was he caught up in the mystery somehow and what was she really doing here? All things that Tommy would have to discover but first he had to get rid of the girl before she could cause any more problems.

"So, Sheriff my offer to help stands.. and this isn't the time or place for Miss Parker to be about, can you spare one of your men to escort her back to her parents, after all they may be very worried if they have noticed her missing..." Tommy tries to put all his persuasiveness as he speaks.
Convince Roll,[ooc]Convince doesn't quite cover the situation but is close enough?[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Am I able to hear what's being said upstairs?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:18 pm
by Priest
Anne,As you crack open the door you hear the following.[/color] [ic-quote=Tommy]"...after all they may be very worried if they have noticed her missing..."[/ic-quote]

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 pm
by Priest
In the church: Farnberger stares at Tommy for a few seconds as if looking him over. "Okay Murdoch take Stewart and see Molly home to her folks". He tips his hat back on his head and places his hand, sugestively, on the butt of the pistol he wears strapped around his waist.
"Right fella I guess we could use your help" he turns and moves further into the church, towards the altar. "Hennesy keep close to the big guy. I still don't know what has been going on here but we'll start by looking around see if we find anything"

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 pm
by Grognardsw
Rebecca: From your hiding place in the shadows opposite the cemetery entrance you can hear some sort of commotion occuring within the church. As you watch the figure by the police car moves towards the church, getting close is now a simple matter of stealthy movement.
Rebecca moves forward to get closer to the church.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:41 pm
by Priest
Rebecca:
As you creep closer to the church entrance you see that the man who had been in the shadows has stopped at the doorway. From within the church you hear someone call, "Okay Lenny looks like me and you have got the babysitting chore. We gotta make sure little miss Parker here gets home safe".
From the way the voice rises in volume it would seem that the speaker is moving towards the doorway from inside the church.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Anne is relieved that Tommy is discussing things peacefully, but she'd still rather not be found down here. Hoping that nobody discovers the hidden door, she quietly shuts and latches the gate, remaining behind it just in case they do find it. She listens for the sound of anyone descending the stairs.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:56 am
by Grognardsw
Rebecca, reporter

Rebecca moves back and to the side at the sound of approaching voices. She looks at the cars parked, studying the license plates, jotting down the numbers on her hand if she has time.

She waits to see if the men and girl will be walking, in which case she'll follow at enough distance to not be heard.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:08 pm
by carnage_lee
Tommy Stone

"We're happy to help Tommy says and follows Farnberger

"When did the girl go missing? Where was she last seen?" he asks.