'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason' - chpt 1

Who is Hezekiah Mason? What is it about him that turns people away?

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: 'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason' - chpt 1

Post by Priest »

Anne,[quote="Mr. Handy"]OOC,Is that where I've hidden?[/quote] The door is noticed during the few moments you are searching for a hiding place. If you wish to hide there say so.
[/color]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Rebecca stressing out,[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=78493&macid=0]Act under pressure roll+reason [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7, [2d6+2] = 6+2 = 8[/url] [ooc]Not sure if its 1 or 2d6.[/ooc]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Rebecca,its 2d6 so you scored 8. For a moment it seems you are free and clear the light beam sweeps towards you missing you by mere inches. However the moment takes you slightly unawares, your left foot catches in tangled undergrowth and you pitch forwards with a loud thud just a few feet from the stone wall that marks the cemetery's boundary from the road. As the dull THUD! rings out the flashlight races across the ground towards you and a loud voice calls out, "You there stop" At that same moment the light seems to catch something metalic a few feet from your outstretched right hand, something that shines a reflection. Your choice is simple do you grab the object or flee to the wall, you have only one chance to do either.[size=150] Choose one.[/size]
[/color]
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, as long as I could have hid there before anyone entered the church. If I was already in another hiding spot, which it appeared from the description that I might have been, it wouldn't be safe to move.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Grognardsw »

Rebecca's editor would be more upset at an arrested reporter, than at one who came back with no story.

She runs.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Rebecca,Followed by shouts of "STOP!!" you quickly surge to your feet, ignoring the sharp pain in your left foot, and vault over the low stone wall to vanish amongst a small group of trees several yards along the road. For several moments as you wait with baited breath you see a figure shine a flashlight up and down the road. Suddenly a new voice, one used to command, yells out from a few yards further along the wall, cemetery side, [b]"Don't stand there waving the flashlight around like a dummy, get back to town and fetch the dogs, Somethin' wrong has been happening and I mean to get to the bottom of this"[/b]
Those within the church: From the sound of it, most of the visitors have left the church entrance to investigate the open grave. But relief is brief, as the door slowly inches its way open to reveal three shadowy figures one armed with what must be some kind of shotgun, "If'n there's anyone in there, best you come on out before Hennesy begins shootin'".
Anne,you can slip behind the door moments before the arrival of the sherrif and his men. The door is about five feet high, arched of solid oak. Inside it is pitch black and you can see nothing, however you can feel that there are a series of stone steps leading down. In the distance, somewhere beyond the steps, you can hear the relentless drip of water hitting something hollow - thud, thud, thud. As you turn towards the sound you are aware of two things; first, a gentle draft that seems to be coming from the same direction as the dripping noise. Second, something gently brushes your face... ('Act under Pressure', roll (2d6)+reason)
[/color]
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's just cobwebs, thinks Anne, but she cannot fight the rising feeling of panic.
OOC,Roll+Reason to Act Under Pressure: [dice]0[/dice] D'oh! :oops:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Blake felt his heart come through his mouth, and a terror grip him. Somehow, the start reality of a shotgun, physical and material, was so much more horrible than the ethereal and supernatural possibilities that he entertained a thousand times in his imagination, when writing his pulp. Perversely, he could swallow being eaten by a ghost, but the thought of being shot was terrible.

"I surrender! I surrender!" he said, coming out of hiding behind the church organ with his hands held firmly up. "Please Mr. Hensey, don't shoot!"
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Tommy Stone

Tommy's heart thuds loudly as he hears a group of men enter the church... he feels around trying to locate something to use as a weapon, something to bludgeon the would be assailants with. If he could get the drop on them as they made their way further into the church he might be able to even the odds a little. Silently he cursed his decision to leave his pistol behind before he made his journey to this cursed church-yard... his groping hands made contact with something....
Poke Around,[dice]0[/dice] (if appropriate)
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

In the church: As the figures begin to enter the building the ominous shape of a shotgun before them, there is a moment of confusion as Harry Blake steps out from the shadows hands high his voice raised several octaves with fear. The advancing figures halt and the double barrels of the shotgun swing towards Harry, "Okay feller just stand still and keep those hands up, the 'Colonel' here has a light trigger and I'd hate to twitch it through suprise". From alonside him comes a sharp laugh, "Yeah and a big guy like you would' look good hanging on his wall".
More laughter, "Okay any more in here? Come out now it'll be better for you than havin' us come lookin'".

Anne,You try your best to maintain your cool, but having something brush your face in the dark is a little too much. In a moment you find yourself at the bottom of a short flight of stone steps, luckilly unhurt although your right shoulder throbs a bit. As you move your right hand towards you shoulder, it comes into contact with metal...
Tommy,your groping hand comes into contact with something of a familiar feel. It is a shoe, a childs shoe.
[/color]
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Priest wrote:"Okay feller just stand still and keep those hands up, the 'Colonel' here has a light trigger and I'd hate to twitch it through suprise". From alonside him comes a sharp laugh, "Yeah and a big guy like you would' look good hanging on his wall".
More laughter, "Okay any more in here? Come out now it'll be better for you than havin' us come lookin'".
Harry Ignored the jibe about his weight. He had endured much and worse, and it bothered him less than a fig.

"Gentlemen, it is a Church. In the middle of a black night. With firearms being brandished. No sane man would be here, and even an insane one would have fled!" he answered, without answering.

"Pardon my nerves, gentlemen, but I am afflicted with a distrust of firearms, particularly when aimed my why. You have no need of intimidating me, for I can assure you I am already intimidated. As you can see, I am of no threat, unless you take objection to my profuse sweating..." he joked, wiping his duly sweating brow.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] +2 for "read a person", if that fits! = 8 which I think is one question - which means, if appropriate, I will ask "What does your character intend to do"? Hope I have that right.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

In the church: At your remark about it being a church you elicit a bunch of nervous sounding laughs, "Well feller" says the shotgun wielder who you figure is the one called Hennesy, "I don't reckon I like the idea of shootin' somebody in a church. So ifn I was you I would just ease on over here slow, where we can get a good look at you".
Without taking his eyes from you he speaks out of the corner of his mouth, "Jed you'd best go find Otis an' tell him we caught us a stranger hangin' about the church". Footsteps attest to one of the three moving away into the cemetery.
"Now big guy, I'm guessin' that it weren't you a ringin' that bell. So why don't you tell us who's in here with you, might go easier with you when Otis comes back"

Harry,yeah, the question is "What do they intend to do?" From the casual way that Hennesy is waving the shotgun around, you get the feeling he won't shoot. They seem to be more concerned with finding out what's going on.
[/color]
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anne takes a look at the metal to see what it is.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Grognardsw »

Rebecca waits among the trees across the road. She moves through them up the road to the church to make out what cars may bevparked there. If she can safely creep up to note the license plate she will.
Spoiler:
OOC:   How did she hurt her foot? I missed that.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Rebecca,A sudden comotion in the cemetery draws the strangers to the remains of Mason's grave. Although you are to far away to overhear what is being said, it seems they have found someone within the church. Once it is clear you are able to easily creep within sight of the two cars that have parked several yards down from the church entrance. Both of the cars have local license plates and one is emblazoned with 'Ebon Eaves Sheriff's Deparment' both cars appear to be empty, but the occasional glow of a lighted cigarette from the shadows of the church yard gateway marks the position of at least one guard. (You twisted your ankle when you tripped over the undergrowth. It reduces your ability to run for it)
Anne,It is pitch black but from its feel the metal seems to be cylindrical and rises verticaly. Moving your hand left and right of the cylinder reveals identical rods at regular intervals. The sound of dripping water is closer and the gentle draft is coming from beyond what are obviously railings. (if you still have the lantern and a match you might see where you are, but of course a light might betray your position to whoever you can hear shouting inside the main body of the church.
[/color]
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Can I make a Puzzle Things Out roll to try to figure out what this thing is?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Tommy Stone

"A shoe!" he thought, realising what he had discovered, maybe he could throw it to create a diversion and try to flee the Church? Deciding against that, the men sounded edgy and although he's only just met the fat author he would feel bad if the man was peppered with buck-shot, Tommy carefully put the she back, it wasn't much use as a weapon either.

"All-right.. All-right, I'm coming out.. I'm not armed.." Tommy stepped out from his hiding place, hands held high, clearly empty.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Anne,sure you can roll+reason On a 10+, ask 3 from below OR gain 1 Lore. On a 7–9, ask 1: • What is this? • What does this mean? • How can I get in/out/pass? • Who’s in control here? • Which enemy before me is the most dangerous? • What is its weakness? • What should I keep an eye out for? • How does __________ fit into ______________?
In the church: The sudden appearance of Tommy causes a few moments of consternation amongst the newcomers, Then the shotgun wielder, obviously the guy called Hennesy, moves the weapon to cover him, "Jumpin' Jiminy there's another one, best you step forward slowly mister ifn you don't want to upset the 'colonel' here". As he speaks the other guy shorter and stouter than the gunman steps forward, in the church's candlelight you see the glitter of a badge on his jacket front.
"Okay guy, you heard Hennesy step on up and let's get a look at you. You and the big guy as well"[/color]
- Anais Nin
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Grognardsw »

Rebecca carefully moves back into the woods. She waits and watches.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anne ponders the strange metallic contraption.
OOC,Puzzle Things Out roll (2d6+Reason) about the metal thing: [dice]0[/dice] My questions: What is this? How can I get in/out/pass? How does the metal thing fit into the church? I do still have the lantern, but I'm not lighting it now, as it could draw attention.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “TREMULUS - 'The Strangeness of Hezekiah Mason'”