Base Camp (OOC)

The Yucatan has long been at best a marginally explored region of Latin America. As one of the great centers of the ancient Mayan culture, it holds many secrets long sought after by historians and archaeologists from around the world. The investigators are a small group of explorers whose mission is to seek out and survey sites for ruined cities and towns on the peninsula. A long lost piece of information leads the group into a dark corner of the Yucatan. What will they find and can they survive the Well of Sacrifice?

Moderator: Quatermass

Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Base Camp (OOC)

Post by Quatermass »

What is everyone's opinion on Keeper making rolls vs character making rolls?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Library Use roll (60% skill) doing research (1d100=20) (hard success)
Archaeology roll (70% skill) doing research (1d100=14) (extreme success)

I've read a lot of Lovecraft, but most of it was a long time ago. I've only reread a few of his stories recently. I've read some of Alan Moore's graphic novels, including The Courtyard and Neonomicon, but Watchmen is my favorite of his.

I prefer to make my own rolls, but if you'd rather roll for us, I'm okay with that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Mr. Handy wrote:
I prefer to make my own rolls, but if you'd rather roll for us, I'm okay with that.
Fine by me. :D
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

I'm easy either way; maybe it'd be fun to tryout Keeper rolls . . . ? One thing I do prefer are rolls ic, perhaps under a spoiler?
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Tabs wrote:@Grognardsw, in the centre, the thick black book, Necronomicon. Like you I haven't read his stories for years, but I did try a few recently and (whisper) didn't enjoy them. I take it that you'd recommend Alan Moore?
Yes Lovecraft's writing is archaic and can be dull if not for the ideas. I have to be in a certain mood to reread them myself. I think Alan Moore is brilliant. While Watchmen is his most popular writing, and a masterpiece, he's also done so much consistently superior work over the years.

On dice rolling, I prefer to do it as it gives one a sense of controlling one's fate (even if a false notion :lol: )
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Tabs wrote:
OOC:   The Ruins of Xaminik is a cenote surrounded by mounds? and Muna, the last entry in Stillbridge's journal, is situated far from Xaminik? (Muna is south of Merida, Xamink is north-East.)  
Correct. You figure Xaminik is about 150 miles east of Merida. Muna is about 30 miles south of Merida.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Ok, everyone has returned from the day's activities to the Hotel to discuss your findings and plans.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Explorers, prospectors, and aviators spoke of glimpsing the ramparts of a ruined city rising above the jungle."--National Geographic, October 2015

In the Mosquitia rainforest of Honduras is the newly--Feb 2015--discovered "City of the Monkey God."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Cool! I just saw an ad about that for a show on the National Geographic channel about that subject today.

It reminds me of something out of Fortune and Glory. "City of the Monkey God" is one of the possible combinations of Artifact and Adventure cards in that board game.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

:)
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Lol! I was taking it for granted that you were talking to Mexicans in Spanish. I will have to make sure I let you know who is speaking what in the future.

I know I have been a bit slow but I will try and pick up the pace. I have just been letting you lead the adventure and not trying to push so you can get used to everyone's characters. I think you need some normalcy before the screaming and the dieing begins. ;)
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

A quick note on your equipment and supplies. Your expedition has the tools to do your work like survey equipment, shovels, tents, cooking utensils, etc. What you don't have right now is transportation (horse, mules, automobiles?) and perishable food stuffs. Your expedition usually hires a few men to take care of any cooking, manual labor, and to take care of any animals you might have with you like mules.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

I just read a book about the mayas, and discovered that the mayan hierogliphs were only deciphered in the second half of the twenty century. But the mayan languages in it's oral form are still spoken now.

You can check in the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Since Anna is going to do the cooking, I take it you dont need a cook for the expedition?

Are you looking to buy mules and horses then?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Well, a cook will be welcome. I meant for Anna to purchase the food supplies. But she'll cook a Norwegian specialty one evening, spiced dumplings or something.

Yeah, we need pack mules for rough ground and hoses to ride, although Anna can only canter on a horse.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

I guess we will get the expedtion started then. I will say that you have prepared the best you can. 8-)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes, it's all gone a bit quiet, though in Mr. Handy's defence he's probably had a busy few days--don't know about the others. . . . I like my character, and look forward to Anna exploring a cenote.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah, I was away for several days, and then it took me some time to catch up again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Sorry for the delay was out of town with my wife. :D
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

I didnt mean trip to be a travelog of the Yucatan but I think it is a good way to establish some normalcy before things start going crazy bad. :D

And I think we have lost Priest has he has not posted in a long while.

Return to “The Well of Sacrifice”