Base Camp (OOC)

The Yucatan has long been at best a marginally explored region of Latin America. As one of the great centers of the ancient Mayan culture, it holds many secrets long sought after by historians and archaeologists from around the world. The investigators are a small group of explorers whose mission is to seek out and survey sites for ruined cities and towns on the peninsula. A long lost piece of information leads the group into a dark corner of the Yucatan. What will they find and can they survive the Well of Sacrifice?

Moderator: Quatermass

Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Base Camp (OOC)

Post by Grognardsw »

Quinto (Quinn) Villavicencio

Sex: Male
Current Residence: Mexico City
Birthplace: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Characteristics:

STR: 60 (30/12)
CON: 70 (35/14)
SIZ: 60 (30/12)
DEX: 80 (40/16)
APP: 40 (20/8)
INT: 50 (25/10)
POW: 50 (25/10)
EDU: 52 (26/10)

Luck: 55 (28/11)
Sanity: 50 (25/10)
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 10
Damage Bonus: None
Move: ??
Dodge: ??

Skills (Non-occupation skills in italics)

Credit Rating: 40%
Dodge: +20% to ?
Hide: 50%
History: 40%
Jump: 50%
Natural World: 50%
Navigate: 50%
Spanish Language: 40%
Spot Hidden: 45%
Survival: 60%
Swim: 60%

Grapple: 45%
Firearms: 70%

Backstory:

Quinn’s father was a British explorer who had an affair with a Mexican woman. He took care of her, settling them in Santa Fe. He visited several times a year. Quin was raised with a romantic and heroic vision of his father and followed in his foot-steps as an explorer. As an adult he has taken a more cynical view of father, but he remains nonetheless an explorer because that is all he knows. Quinn has traveled widely in Central and South America and a trip or two to Africa. While taking occasional independent expeditions in hopes of striking it rich (which he has yet to do), Quinn is usually contracted by universities, wealthy patrons and the occasional business concern.

Contacts:

Archeology Dept. and library of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México; the Museo Nacional de Antropología; an editor at National Geographic; Santa Fe and Mexico City libraries; a few wealthy patrons; other explorers; purveyors of exploration equipment; certain gentlemen of low repute who provide shady services.

Equipment:

Clothes
Pistol and ammo
Exploration equipment (rope, spittoons, net, backpack, sacks, rations, tools, flashlights, measuring tape, etc.)
Jeep
Motorbike

Dice Rolls
Spoiler:
I used the Unseen Servant dice roller,which is a robust roller hosted by that PbP site. Here is a link to my archive of rolls:
http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... ts&pc=2984
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

My original character sheet for Professor David Johnson is here. Should I just convert the character to 7th edition (after making him younger and reducing his EDU and occupational skills appropriately), or do I need to rebuild him from the ground up with the 7th edition Quick Start rules?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

That's very nice, Grognardsw. I love the different photos of Quinn! Is it the same chap? and who was he? The last photo, that could be my character, Miss Dahl, talking to Quinn . . . !
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Quatermass »

Mr. Handy wrote:My original character sheet for Professor David Johnson is here. Should I just convert the character to 7th edition (after making him younger and reducing his EDU and occupational skills appropriately), or do I need to rebuild him from the ground up with the 7th edition Quick Start rules?
I think you should rebuild him using the Quick Start rules. That way you will be on par with the other characters.
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Grognardsw »

Tabs wrote:That's very nice, Grognardsw. I love the different photos of Quinn! Is it the same chap? and who was he? The last photo, that could be my character, Miss Dahl, talking to Quinn . . . !
Thanks. The man isn't the same in each photo, but I liked how one sorta couldn't tell that. The photos came from a Google Image search and I didn't look at the linked page for background, just grabbed the location, so I don't know who they are. Yes, that is in fact Miss Dahl!
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Because I had another aditional edu from the age, and I passed the test. So I get aditional skill points.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

I am just waiting on characters being completed.

Mr. Handy, do you want me to convert your character?
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Your group has spent the several months surveying major sites including Chichen Itza and Uxmal and are now seeking lesser know sites. You are now conducting routine research in the Archaeology Library in Merida. It is early July, 1918.

Mérida (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmeɾiða] ( listen)) is the capital and largest city of the Mexican state of Yucatán as well as the largest city of the Yucatán Peninsula. It is located in the northwest part of the state, about 35 kilometres (22 miles) from the Gulf of Mexico coast. The city is also the municipal seat of the Municipality of Mérida, which includes the city and the areas around it.

There were three Spanish conquistadors named "Francisco de Montejo": Francisco de Montejo "el Adelantado" ("The Lieutenant", the eldest); Francisco de Montejo y León "el Mozo" ("The Boy", his son); and Francisco de Montejo "el Sobrino" ("The Nephew"). Mérida was founded in 1542 by Francisco de Montejo y León ("el Mozo") and named after the town of Mérida in Extremadura, Spain. It was built on the site of the Maya city of T'hó (/d̥ʼχøʼ/), which was also called Ichkanzihóo or Ichcaanzihó (/isʃkan'siχœ/; "City of Five Hills") in reference to its pyramids. T'ho had been a center of Mayan culture and activity for centuries: because of this, some historians[who?] consider Mérida the oldest continually-occupied city in the Americas.

Carved Maya stones from ancient T'ho were widely used to build the Spanish colonial buildings that are plentiful in downtown Mérida, and are visible, for instance, in the walls of the main cathedral. . From colonial times through the mid-19th century, Mérida was a walled city intended to protect the Peninsular and Criollo residents from periodic revolts by the indigenous Maya. Several of the old Spanish city gates survive, but modern Mérida has expanded well beyond the old city walls.

Late in the 19th century and the early 20th Century, the area surrounding Mérida prospered from the production of henequén. For a brief period, around the turn of the 20th century, Mérida was said to house more millionaires than any other city in the world. The result of this concentration of wealth can still be seen today. Many large and elaborate homes still line the main avenue called Paseo de Montejo, though few are occupied today by individual families. Many of these homes have been restored and now serve as office buildings for banks and insurance companies. Korean immigration to Mexico began in 1905 when more than a thousand people arrived in Yucatan from the city of Incheon. These first Korean migrants settled around Merida as workers in henequen plantations.

Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Grognardsw »

Fifteen years ago my wife and I vacationed in Cozumel and took a little eight-seater propeller plane to Chichen Itza. We landed in a field and took a tour. It was a great experience.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anna should have 11 HP, not 9. HP are one tenth of CON + SIZ, not STR + SIZ.

I'll recreate my character here. I just needed time to recover and catch up after I got back from my trip.

EDU does not increase.

Name: David Johnson
Sex: Male
Colleges, Degrees: Ph.D., Archaelogy, Brown University
Current Residence: Providence, Rhode Island
Income: $6,500/year

Characteristics:
STR: 50 (25/10)
CON: 50 (25/10)
SIZ: 60 (30/12)
DEX: 50 (25/10)
APP: 40 (20/8)
INT: 60 (30/12)
POW: 70 (35/14)
EDU: 80 (40/16)
SAN: 70

Sanity: 70
Phobias/Mental Disorders: N/A
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 14
Damage Bonus: +0
Build: 0
Luck: 40

Appearance & Personality: David Johnson is a man of average build with blond hair and rugged features. He often has a serious disposition, though he does find plenty of enjoyment in his work. He is not enthralled with academic life, preferring to be out in the field on a dig whenever posssible, though he does give lectures and run his classes professionally and well. He exercises frequently to stay in good shape.

Background: David Johnson has always had a particular fascination with American history, especially pre-Columbian history. He longs to unearth America's buried and forgotten past to discover what things were like before the Europeans arrived. His specialty is the Mayans, and he has long wondered and speculated about the causes of their civilization's sudden collapse, which was the subject of his doctoral dissertation. He has some unorthodox theories about pre-Columbus contact between America and people overseas. While the Viking presence is known and accepted, his ideas about ancient Phoenicians crossing the Atlantic are not. He is able to get some people to have an open mind through his persuasive arguments, but he knows that he needs hard evidence to convince most in the academic world. He hopes to find definitive proof of ancient transatlantic contact someday, thus changing the way history is perceived and immortalizing his name along with other noted archaeologists such as Heinrich Schleimann, the discoverer of Troy, a city once believed to be mythical.

Skills:
Appraise 40%, Archaeology 70%, Credit Rating 50%, History 60%, Other Language (Mayan Hieroglyphics) 50%, Library Use 60%, Mechanical Repair 40%, Navigate 40%, Spot Hidden 50%
Climb 40%, Jump 40%, Persuade 30%, Psychology 30%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

@Grognardsw, whenever I read "propeller plane" and an archeological site in the same sentence, I think of Indiana Jones.

@Mr. Handy, thanks re. the HP for Anna, those 2 points may be the difference between life and death!

David Johnson, Archaeology Professor, age 25--the age is wrong, isn't it? especially when one looks at his photo.

Anna must ask him about his pet theory.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Tabs wrote: David Johnson, Archaeology Professor, age 25--the age is wrong, isn't it? especially when one looks at his.
I was thinking the same thing. Lol
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I copied him from Spawn of Azathoth, which took place in 1926 when he was 33 years old. Since it's 1918, I made him eight years younger.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Grognardsw »

Today is the 125th anniversay of HPL's birth.

Anyone going to Necronomicon 15 in Providence? I'll be gaming there.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Ok lets get the ball rolling. I will post a IC thread tonight or tomorrow.

Mr. Handy, your character looks great!

So Who is the leader of this expedition?
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

kabukiman wrote:Because I had another aditional edu from the age, and I passed the test. So I get aditional skill points.
Oh? What page is that rule on. I cannot seem to find it.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I guess that kabukiman has improved all skills by 10 instead of just EDU. . . ?

Great to be starting. :) The leader of the expedition has to be Professor Johnson.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Agreed. It has to be the professor.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

The Players:

David Johnson (Mr. Handy)
Quinto 'Quinn' Villavicencio (Grognardsw)
Percy Bertrand (kabukiman)
Mitchell ‘Mitch’ Cooper (Priest)
Anna Vesse Dahl (Tabs)

Oh and make sure you have posted your character in their character thread.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I've posted him! Since the consensus is that David be the leader, and it does make sense, he'll accept.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Well of Sacrifice”