Character Creation Rules and Thread

Setting
The Great War

The year is 1918. For four years Europe has been locked in the throes of the Great War, the most devastating conflict in history. Technical innovations in artillery, air power, chemical warfare, and automatic weapons have changed the face of battle. When industrial mass production, universal conscription, and staunch adherence to Napoleonic Era military theory were added to the mix, they created the Western Front: a Hell on Earth where literally millions of soldiers have fed the war's hunger for blood. Far more died on the fields of the Western Front than men: a world was ending. The scale of this new War, and its barbarity, are staggering; at the battle of the Somme, which raged from July to November 1916, the British lost 60,000 soldiers in the first day, and total casualties for the offensive ran over a million men. As historian A.J.P. Taylor put it, "The war ceased to have a purpose and went on for its own sake, as a contest of endurance."

The arrogant optimism that had inflamed the West following the industrial revolution, the idea that progress, technology, and enlightenment had raised Man (white man in particular) to the mastery of the world and a state of near divinity is dead, gassed and shelled into oblivion. The cream of Europe's youth learned first hand just how far civilization could fall.

Moderator: CrackheadC.

CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Re: Character Creation Rules and Thread

Post by CrackheadC. »

Don't sweat it Mr Handy, everyone in this is involved in a bunch of games so we can take our time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Character creation rolls
EDU(60) increases by 10 to 70

Player: Mr. Handy
Name: Private Nicholas "Nick" Parker
Sex: Male
Birthplace: Detroit, Michigan
Current Residence: Foxhole in France
Colleges, Degrees: High School Diploma

Characteristics:
STR: 55 (27/11)
CON: 70 (35/14)
SIZ: 50 (25/10)
DEX: 75 (37/15)
APP: 40 (20/8)
INT: 50 (25/10)
POW: 65 (32/13)
EDU: 70 (35/14)

Hit Points: 12 / 12
Magic Points: 13 / 13
Sanity: 65
Luck: 70
Move Rate: 9
Build: 0
Damage Bonus: +0

Skills:
Skills,Non-Default are bolded. Occupational Skills in Italics. Personal Interests preceded by a DOT. War experience Skills Preceded by an *. Accounting (05%): Anthropology (01%): Appraise (05%): Archaeology (01%): [i][b]Art: / Craft(Welding): (05%): 25%[/b][/i] Charm (15%): [i][b]Climb (20%): 50%[/b][/i] [b][i]Credit Rating (00%): 15%[/i][/b] Cthulhu Mythos (00%): Disguise (05%): [b]Dodge (37%): 37%[/b] [b][i]Drive Auto (20%): 50%[/i][/b] [i][b]Electric Repair (10%): 40%[/b][/i] Fast Talk (05%): *Fighting (Brawl) (25%): *Firearms (Handgun) (20%): [b]*Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (25%): 65%[/b] *First Aid (30%): History (05%): Intimidate (15%): Jump (20%): [b].Language (French) (01%): 21%[/b] [b]Language (English) (70%): 70%[/b] Law (05%): Library Use (20%): [b]*Listen (20%): 50%[/b] [i][b]Locksmith (01%): 31%[/b][/i] [i][b]Mechanical Repair (10%): 75%[/b][/i] Medicine (01%): Natural World (10%): Navigate(10%): Occult (10%): [i][b]Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 31%[/b][/i] Persuade (10%): Pilot (01%): Psychology (10%): Psychoanalysis (01%): Ride (05%): Science (01%): *Sleight of Hand (10%): [b][i]Spot Hidden (25%): 55%[/i][/b] [b].Stealth (20%): 60%[/b] [b].Survival(Forest) (10%): 35%[/b] Swim (20%): *Throw (20%): [b].Track (10%): 25%[/b]
Background:
Personal Description:
Nick is a plain-looking, wiry young man. He is extremely agile and works very well with his hands.

Ideology/Beliefs:
Since being drafted and sent to France, Nick has seen some of his friends killed right near him, yet he always made it through without a scratch so far. He has become increasingly fatalistic and is convinced that there's a bullet with his name on it out there, and he is sure that he won't survive the war. Still, he is determined to get what enjoyment he can out of life until then, and to do his duty for his country and his buddies.

*Significant People:*
Nick is engaged to his high school sweetheart Matilda Deakins, and he regrets not having married her before he shipped out with the Army, as then she would have received survivor's benefits upon his inevitable death. He will also miss his parents, *Michael* and Frances Parker. He does not know how they will cope with the loss of their only child. He is especially close to his father, who taught him everything he knows about being a mechanic.

Meaningful Locations:
Nick's family home, and the garage where he works.

Treasured Possession:
Michael's favorite possession is his 1916 Ford Model T. He also carries a family photograph and one of Matilda.

Traits:
Michael is courageous as a side effect of his new outlook. He has already accepted the fact of his own death and counted everything as lost, so he feels he has nothing left to lose at this point. He cares about his fellow soldiers and will put himself in harm's way to protect them. After all, when his time is up, he doesn't believe there is anything he can do about it.

Backstory:
Nick followed in his father's footsteps and became a mechanic, and he is an extremely good one even at his young age. He has always been fascinated by cars, and he has a Ford Model T back home. He completed high school while still learning his trade from his father, but his life was interrupted when his number came up and he was conscripted to fight in the Great War like so many others. Robert also enjoys hunting, and he is fairly good at it. His hunter's instincts have served him in good stead as a soldier, and they have kept him alive so far.

Equipment:
Family photograph
Photograph of Matilda
American soldier's kit:
- Uniform and Helmet
- Belts and Ammo pouches
- Greatcoat
- Cardigan
- Sewing kit
- Mess-tin
- Cap comforter
- Harness
- Shirt
- Paybook
- Razor w/ case
- Socks (3 pairs)
- Lather brush
- Soap
- Rifle cover
- Waterproof sheet
- Comb
- Bottle of oil
- Tin of grease
- Utensils (knife, fork, spoon)
- Water bottle
- Field dressing
- Toothbrush
- Towel
- Gas mask
- Spine protector
- Bootlaces
- Entrenching tool (shovel)
- Pocket knife
- Bayonet
- Fastener
- Ammunition
--- .30-06 rounds: 50
--- .45 rounds: 30

Weapons:
M1917 -- .30-06 Bolt-Action Rifle
- Firearms (Rifle) Dmg: 2d6+4 Range: 110 yards Uses per round: 1 Bullets in Gun/Mag: 5 Malfunction: 100

Colt 1917 -- .45 Revolver
- Firearms (Handgun) Dmg: 1d10+2 Range: 15 yards Uses per round: 1(3) Bullets in Gun/Mag: 6 Malfunction: 100

Bayonet -- as Large knife
- Fighting (Brawling) Dmg: 1d8 + DB Range: Touch Uses per round: 1
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Okay, I have checked the characters thus far.

Mr. Handy: You are good and ready to go.

DrPeterson: Your HP should be 9 (35+60=95/10=9.5 round down = 9). It can be 10 if you were to switch your APP and CON
You are short 2 Occupation skill points, so you can add those.
You need to pick a "key connection" What is the connection in your background that stabilizes you most.

Supercape: You need to make an EDU check for your age (if you roll higher than 80 you add 1d10 edu points)
Also you skill points aren't listed (I only see 20 points in appraise). You have a total of 320 occupation points (more if your EDU check succeeds), 140 Personal interest points, and 70 war package points.
You should also pick a key connection. This is the connection in your background that stabilizes you most.

Once these adjustments are made I will move complete characters to the Character thread and then post our starting post.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Adjustments made!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Sorry for delay, I got all tangled up reworking Birdy. I started from scratch although the principles are pretty much the same. Should be finished now.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Supercape: Your skills check out. Make an EDU roll (if you roll higher than your edu, 1d10 more edu points, and in turn x4 occupation skillpoints), Mark what is the most important aspect of your background and then you can post it up in the character thread.

DrPeterson: All good.

Everyone: MY brother is visiting me from Thailand, so we will start after he leaves. The first post will be made on Wednesday (3 days from now)
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

1d100=79 so close, but no cigar! I will post PC in appropriate thread.

Return to “No Man's Land”