General Chat Thread

Setting
The Great War

The year is 1918. For four years Europe has been locked in the throes of the Great War, the most devastating conflict in history. Technical innovations in artillery, air power, chemical warfare, and automatic weapons have changed the face of battle. When industrial mass production, universal conscription, and staunch adherence to Napoleonic Era military theory were added to the mix, they created the Western Front: a Hell on Earth where literally millions of soldiers have fed the war's hunger for blood. Far more died on the fields of the Western Front than men: a world was ending. The scale of this new War, and its barbarity, are staggering; at the battle of the Somme, which raged from July to November 1916, the British lost 60,000 soldiers in the first day, and total casualties for the offensive ran over a million men. As historian A.J.P. Taylor put it, "The war ceased to have a purpose and went on for its own sake, as a contest of endurance."

The arrogant optimism that had inflamed the West following the industrial revolution, the idea that progress, technology, and enlightenment had raised Man (white man in particular) to the mastery of the world and a state of near divinity is dead, gassed and shelled into oblivion. The cream of Europe's youth learned first hand just how far civilization could fall.

Moderator: CrackheadC.

CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

General Chat Thread

Post by CrackheadC. »

Post here any questions pertaining to the game or just general discussion.

I will have a Character Creation thread as well as an example step by step for you to follow since this is 7th edition. I'll try to post up a setting and some random fluff soon as well.

Thanks for joining me in my first game as Keeper!
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Re: General Chat Thread

Post by CrackheadC. »

Background info and the Character Creation Thread is up. If you have any questions and need more info as here or there. I'm sure you will need info on the new occupation skills/points as they have changed a little bit.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

It's going nicely, CrackheadC, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

Thanks CrackheadC for letting me join the game. Hey folks, Ritterton here...looking forward to participating in this WWI game. I think I have had a few interactions elsewhere with at least one or two of you. So, working on a character and will get it close to done then post it in the Character generation thread in the next two days or so. Just wanted to say hello. Ask questions of me, and should be able to provide some additional relevant information.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Welcome to the game, Ritterton. Once your sheet has passed inspection I'll be able to introduce you into the game.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

how are you all getting the occ button option to work, cant' seem to find that...is it the spoiler button I should be using?

R
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Oh yeah, I use the spoiler button and just make the tag say OOC. I find the spoiler button is less intrusive.
OOC,This is the spoiler button
OOC:   Compared to the OOC tag.  
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

CrackheadC. wrote:Oh yeah, I use the spoiler button and just make the tag say OOC. I find the spoiler button is less intrusive.
OOC,This is the spoiler button
OOC:   Compared to the OOC tag.  
Got it! Will do that next time. Thanks Crack!
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Apologies for sluggish response hit by a conglomeration of life over past few days (plus a really rotten cold!)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

No sweat Supercape. I know your running a game and in a few others.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

As a side note, it is probably going to take me an extra day to post the next update. I wanted to transfer all of the relevant NPCs (the squad) into the Character thread, but I have been lazy. Also I need to do a little bit of conversion for this next part.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Just an FYI, I am typically going to wait until everyone has made at least 1 reply, even if it is just a roll, so don't think I forgot about you (especially when you see me online with no updates).

Also, I suppose I should explain better how I want the Bonus/Penalty dice done.

Let's say I have a Listen 50%, and I have a penalty cause I just shot my gun off in an enclosed space. I need to roll my 1d100 and then I will roll a 1d10. Since it is a penalty, I will take whatever is higher for the 10's, like so.

[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]

So my first roll is 68 and my 1d10 is a 5. 68 is worse than 58 in CoC dice, so since i have to take whatever is higher. My listen roll is a 68%. If I had a Bonus instead, I would take the lower so I would have a 58% (Unfortunately still a failure in this situation.

Is that more clear?
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Ok Mr. Handy, got to say I loved the way you did your post...that is what I want to get to so will try that but I use orokos.com, suspect I can use the link via the url button here? Anyway, that is awesome how you did your post.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Mr. Handy does a great job.

I like invisible castle, but it seems that the registration has been broken forever and I can't remember what my password was.

Either way, update will come this weekend - Also I had you roll for nasty things this round, but they will start next round so you have at the very least a little bit of a breather....maybe.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Question- Would you guys mind if I kept all rolls relating to the NPCs (and rolls that don't affect you) behind the curtain? I just did all the rolling for the round and I realized it will be a whole mess of hyperlinking which is more work for me.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! Invisible Castle hasn't been supported for years, so they haven't fixed the problem that keeps new users from registering.

I have no problem with keeping NPC rolls behind the scenes and out of posts. I do it myself sometimes in my own games when the PCs don't know what the NPCs are doing (or when they don't even know that the NPCs are present). It wouldn't make sense to post an NPC's Conceal, Hide, or Sneak roll when the investigators don't know yet that there's anything to see or hear.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Don't worry about those rolls, man, you control the narrative.

I really hate invisible castle, it's got it in for me. I can't remember ever rolling decently on it.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

CrackheadC. wrote:Question- Would you guys mind if I kept all rolls relating to the NPCs (and rolls that don't affect you) behind the curtain? I just did all the rolling for the round and I realized it will be a whole mess of hyperlinking which is more work for me.
Personally I am fine with the Keeper making all rolls, NPC and PC, themselves and behind the curtain. It speeds up PbP play. And you either trust your fellow players, or don't. I default to trust! :)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Great, that will make things easier. And one someone does get an imaling shot to the head, I will still have the rilla to show you.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

CrackheadC. wrote:Question- Would you guys mind if I kept all rolls relating to the NPCs (and rolls that don't affect you) behind the curtain? I just did all the rolling for the round and I realized it will be a whole mess of hyperlinking which is more work for me.
Crack, I am fine with that...it makes it a bit simpler...then we can react, and imbed rolls for our reaction.Makes it a it easier too for you on the writing of things as you can narrate whatoccured without all of the dice rolls.

Return to “No Man's Land”