General Chat Thread

Setting
The Great War

The year is 1918. For four years Europe has been locked in the throes of the Great War, the most devastating conflict in history. Technical innovations in artillery, air power, chemical warfare, and automatic weapons have changed the face of battle. When industrial mass production, universal conscription, and staunch adherence to Napoleonic Era military theory were added to the mix, they created the Western Front: a Hell on Earth where literally millions of soldiers have fed the war's hunger for blood. Far more died on the fields of the Western Front than men: a world was ending. The scale of this new War, and its barbarity, are staggering; at the battle of the Somme, which raged from July to November 1916, the British lost 60,000 soldiers in the first day, and total casualties for the offensive ran over a million men. As historian A.J.P. Taylor put it, "The war ceased to have a purpose and went on for its own sake, as a contest of endurance."

The arrogant optimism that had inflamed the West following the industrial revolution, the idea that progress, technology, and enlightenment had raised Man (white man in particular) to the mastery of the world and a state of near divinity is dead, gassed and shelled into oblivion. The cream of Europe's youth learned first hand just how far civilization could fall.

Moderator: CrackheadC.

CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: General Chat Thread

Post by CrackheadC. »

Yeah those are the tests, its to get into a Graduate school. I scored very average (low middle I'll say) in the math section. That was to be expected though, I haven't done anything in math beyond percentages and basic arithmetic in a couple years so studying that war mostly like trying to break the rust off. Unofficially in the verbal I scored in the 96th percentile which is good because I am mostly looking to get into a linguistics program.

Anyway, the drinking went on for 2 nights so I didn't post yesterday. I'm up and at'em today so I'll be rolling dice in a few minutes.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

I think Birdy is going to hold fire now, and just try to listen to what the Germans are saying. I appreciate that might be difficult or even impossible, but ill make a listen roll in case that is relevant.

1d100=100

Well I guess that seals that!
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Hah I appreciate the self policed roll. Anymore listen funbles like that you're gonna be leaving the war qith one of those old trumpet hearing aids.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I wouldn't recommend using the on-board dice roller to handle a combat round. I only did it because Invisible Castle had been down at the time. I did have to edit the posts repeatedly, and it was a pain. Also, there is a limit of twenty rolls per post, so with a combat like that I needed to make multiple successive posts as well. The built-in dice roller here also doesn't support adding multiple types of dice together, such as 1d6+1d4, so you have to do those as separate rolls. It's a lot easier to just use Invisible Castle and embed the rolls in the text (or leave them out, if there are a lot of them and the players don't need to know).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Hey guys im just checking in briefly. As you know i had a absence due to family wedding and one due to the gre. I am currently on pain meds for getting wisdom teeth extracted but i promise I will be back and able to post soon.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

Good lord Crack, we need to help you redefine fun! :o
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Hey folks, anyone hear from Crack? Seemed he was juggling some pretty big things - wisdom teeth removal sucks! and just wanted to make sure he hasn't had other things arise.

http://mu-podcast.com/campus/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1127 Here was a bit of creative writing inspired by the MU Podcast guys reading some Lovecraft.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Good story. I liked the detail about "feldgrun" trousers (http://www.military-antiques.cz/uniform ... rhose.html). The ending was cool, I didn't expect that. :) You ought to post it on this site, I think there's a fan-fiction thread.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Tabs wrote:Good story. I liked the detail about "feldgrun" trousers (http://www.military-antiques.cz/uniform ... rhose.html). The ending was cool, I didn't expect that. :) You ought to post it on this site, I think there's a fan-fiction thread.
Thanks Tabs...just posted it there!

R
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

CrackheadC. hasn't logged in since October 26; he's missing from my game as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Mr. Handy wrote:CrackheadC. hasn't logged in since October 26; he's missing from my game as well.
This may sound a bit over-dramatic, but is there anyway the administrator can ping him via email to see if all is well? Wisdom teeth surgery is a nasty one...and can sometimes get really complicated really quick in the post healing process -- dry sockets and such.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Given the default settings of the board, he should receive an email if you PM him as well.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

DrPeterson wrote:Given the default settings of the board, he should receive an email if you PM him as well.
Did so a few days ago...so will send another then hope all is well.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Sent after seeing the new bond film, I thought it was a good flick.

Return to “No Man's Land”