General Chat Thread

Setting
The Great War

The year is 1918. For four years Europe has been locked in the throes of the Great War, the most devastating conflict in history. Technical innovations in artillery, air power, chemical warfare, and automatic weapons have changed the face of battle. When industrial mass production, universal conscription, and staunch adherence to Napoleonic Era military theory were added to the mix, they created the Western Front: a Hell on Earth where literally millions of soldiers have fed the war's hunger for blood. Far more died on the fields of the Western Front than men: a world was ending. The scale of this new War, and its barbarity, are staggering; at the battle of the Somme, which raged from July to November 1916, the British lost 60,000 soldiers in the first day, and total casualties for the offensive ran over a million men. As historian A.J.P. Taylor put it, "The war ceased to have a purpose and went on for its own sake, as a contest of endurance."

The arrogant optimism that had inflamed the West following the industrial revolution, the idea that progress, technology, and enlightenment had raised Man (white man in particular) to the mastery of the world and a state of near divinity is dead, gassed and shelled into oblivion. The cream of Europe's youth learned first hand just how far civilization could fall.

Moderator: CrackheadC.

Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Re: General Chat Thread

Post by Ritterton »

Fortuna is not favoring Richter at all...damn...orokos, please give me a few great rolls! :cry:
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

Well, the good news is that you aren't bleeding out and probably won't unless the Doc and crew severely botch all first aid attempts.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Assuming that I am out for round three?
Or, do I roll Constitution check at start of each round?
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

There aren't any explicit rules about recovering consciousness so I am going to rule the following. You will recover via: successful first aid, 1d6 rounds, or an extreme CON roll success.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

CrackheadC., can I retry the First Aid roll if I drag Richter behind my tree?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

You can push the roll (role with a penalty die and take the higher one), or if you are a bit more detail on what you will do, I'll let you do a plain re-roll as a little bonus for the extra detail. You can also wait it out / get help from someone else (having someone assist you will be a bonus die). It's not like he's bleeding out or anything. I just made it seem like you failed cause he was out of cover and people were shooting at you - seems more realistic than you forgetting how to doctor.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

[dice]0[/dice] Artemis will wake up in this many rounds either way.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Birdy Fires again 1d100=71 nothing flashy, just a miss!
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

CrackheadC. wrote:[dice]175045:0[/dice] Artemis will wake up in this many rounds either way.
Well it keeps me busy, so two more extreme const dice rolls...hey maybe it could happen...;-)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Hey at least being knocked out you aren't going to see horrible things and go crazy :)
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

CrackheadC. wrote: I just made it seem like you failed cause he was out of cover and people were shooting at you - seems more realistic than you forgetting how to doctor.

My thoughts exactly!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Also, Ritterton. You will awake this round as the Doc has succeeded in First aid. You may act as you wish for the round as your low dex would have you acting after Doc anyway and I dont see any rules on acting after waking like that. I will, in fairness I think, rule that if you take any particular action this round it will be with a penalty die (one extra 1d10 to replace the 10's on a skill roll).
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Ritterton, You don't need a sanity roll this turn, that will probably make you feel better since you failed it.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Took my GRE today. Update coming tomorrow night or sunday depending on my hangover.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Congratulations! And happy hangover!
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Congrats and hope you survived the hangover.
whispers to doc,what's a GRE exam for us in the states
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's the Graduate Records Examination, and we have it here in the USA. I took it myself about twenty years ago and got quite a high score in spite of getting no sleep the night before.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Oh that's the one for like matter and phd programs? Took the lsat, so understand that sense of relief when such a thing is done.

So almost back home, pnw is gorgeous in the fall.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's the one. It does feel good when it's over. Unfortunately, I was too sleepy that night to finish dinner.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Lol, heck I remember a torts exam where I had to drive about an hour and 20 minutes from the school back to where I was living at the time and but for the receipt in my pocket I would never have remembered I stopped for gas so that exam amnesia can be pretty pretty powerful :o :?

Return to “No Man's Land”