Character Creation

For pre-game chat, character creation, etc.

Moderator: Raiko

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Re: Character Creation

Post by royya »

Thanks, fixed
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Rolls William Jordan,[dice=]3d6[/dice] [dice]3d6[/dice] [dice]3d6[/dice] [dice]3d6[/dice] [dice]3d6[/dice] [dice2d6+6[/dice] [dice]2d6+6[/dice] [dice]3d6+3[/dice]
Rant and rolls,Oh bother, the dice roller hasn't been activated yet. And this illustrates my unending hate for invisible castle :D [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/search/?search=William+Jordan[/url]

Name: William Jordan
Player: DrPeterson
Sex: Male
College, Degrees: Choat School, Connecticut
Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois

Characteristics:
STR 8
CON 7
SIZ 17
DEX 6
APP 9
INT 10 (Idea - 50)
POW 14 (Luck - 70 )
EDU: 15 (13+2 for age)(Know - 75 )

Sanity: 70
Current Sanity:
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None

Hit Points: 12
Current Hit Points:
Magic Points: 14
Current Magic Points:
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Appearance & Personality:
William Jordan is a tall imposing man with an impressive moustache. He limps with his left leg.
He usually wears tweed suits or outdoors clothes that look rather worn.

William is a man of great passion and he can switch from anger to mirth in a heartbeat. He's an alpha male and has a hard time handling his fame or skill not being recognised. He's also an avid bohemian, greatly enjoying food, drink and women. He'll rarely go out of the way of a challenge and sticks to the mantra that a man should do sober what he promised drunk.
He's a great friend and a greater enemy and has been known to hold petty grudges.

He rarely uses his first name.

Background:

WIlliam was born in Chicago to fairly well-to-do parents and was sent to boarding school in Connecticut. He spent his youth writing for a local newspaper and left for the War when the Americans entered.
Hunting in the Congo at the time of the outbreak of the Great War, he decided to join the Belgian Army and acted as a war correspondent for Collier's Magazine. At the Battle of the Somme, William was badly wounded by a grenade. He was taken care of in a French hospital and spent the rest of the war and the early 20's recovering and writing in Paris as part of the American expat community. In Paris he also met Jackson Elias, who introduced him to Prospero House and after a fruitful meeting with Jonah Kensington, they produced his first hit novel "Blood is the color of the Sun"[sic], written in a short and crass style that shuns overtly poetic descriptions, but rather relies on dialogue to convey feelings.

The following years he'd meet Elias on occasion, whilst hunting in Africa, at sports events or at receptions and the two formed a sort of friendly rivalry.

William spends his free time reading, boxing, womanising, hunting and drinking.

Jordan's second novel, published in 1922, was based on his adventures on the dark continent and is titled "The Red Hills of Africa". This book proved an even bigger success than the first and established his name as that of a prominent and celebrated author.

Jordan and Elias in a Parisian bar.
Skills:,(professional ones in italics, .personal hobby preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded) 300 occupation points, 100 hobby points Accounting (10%): Anthropology (01%): Archaeology (01%): Art (05%): Astronomy (01%): Bargain (05%): Biology (01%): Chemistry (01%): Climb (40%): Conceal (15%): Craft (05%): [i][b]Credit Rating (15%): 60%[/b][/i] Cthulhu Mythos (00%): Disguise (01%): Dodge (DEX×2): 12% Drive Auto (20%): Electrical Repair (10%): Fast Talk (05%): First Aid (30%): Geology (01%): Hide (10%): [i][b]History (20%): 60%[/b][/i] Jump (25%): Law (05%): [i][b]Library Use (25%): 60%[/b][/i] Listen (25%): Locksmith (01%): Martial Arts (01%): Mechanical Repair (20%): Medicine (05%): Natural History (10%): Navigate (10%): [i][b]Occult (05%): 31%[/b][/i] Operate Heavy Machine (01%): [i][b]Other Language: (01%): French 40%[/b][/i] [i][b]Own Language: English (EDU×5%): 95%[/b][/i] [i][b]Persuade (15%): 55%[/b][/i] Pharmacy (01%): Photography (10%): Physics (01%): Pilot (01%): Psychoanalysis (01%): [i][b]Psychology (05%): 60%[/b][/i] Ride (05%): [b].Sneak (10%): 45%[/b] Spot Hidden (25%): Swim (25%): [b].Throw (25%): 40%[/b] Track (10%): Hand-to-Hand: [b].Fist/Punch (50%): 70%[/b] Head Butt (10%): Kick (25%): Grapple (25%): Firearms: Handgun (20%): Machine Gun (15%): Rifle (25%): [b].Shotgun (30%): 60%[/b] SMG (15%):
Last edited by DrPeterson on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

DrPeterson, if you fix the dice tag for the first roll by removing the equals symbol then I think your rolls will work.

If the characters are finished by the end of the weekend then I'll try to get the opening IC posts up on Sunday/Monday.

All your characters seem great and I'm really looking forward to the game. Have a think about if more of you already know each other as you finish your backgrounds, you'll all be at the coffee house with Jackson in 1924, but so far only a couple of you already know each other.

If anyone would like to know anything else about Jackson or Jonah other than the simple details at the top of this thread then please ask.

Edit, just seen your update.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

I'm going to write up background and all that either now if I'm still sleep-deprived enough or tomorrow, but it's already coming together nicely in my mind. :)
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sleep-deprived too now, but I always am.

I recognize that lower scene from Midnight in Paris, which I watched recently!

You need 25 STR+SIZ to qualify for the +1D4 damage bonus, but you could get that by swapping STR and APP.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Good call, what a silly mistake. I shuffled STR, CON and APP. William just got a little prettier. :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Thanks Mr Handy, I've not actually done any CoC character gen since the last Masks game on here I don't think. I'm just planning to enter all the characters into Herolab to double check if anyone has messed up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. I'm not checking the characters as thoroughly as I do for my own games, so I may have missed some things. I just happened to notice as I was reading the sheet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Hi there, apologies for the delay, my PC Tremayne is complete except for equipment, let me know if there are any mistakes or any things that need to be changed.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

I've added a brief background.

I'm leaving for France tomorrow. If you plan on starting the prequel this week, it might be best to excuse William, he's off shooting, fighting or carousing or something :)
If you wait another week, I'll join full force ;)

See you all very soon!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Have a great time! :)

Since DrPeterson possibly won't get online until the 9th, I'm not going to rush the first post out, all your characters will be present with Jackson and so I'd prefer for everyone to participate in the prologue.

I'm going to send a couple of days getting our forum into order ready to start, and then I'll make the opening post on Wednesday or Thursday. That way things shouldn’t move along too far in the short chapter without DrPeterson. William could perhaps arrive a little later than the rest of you, perhaps with the Kensingtons.

I'll still try to get the whole prologue finished within a week (maybe ten days at most), so we should have chapter one underway and the game up to speed before DrPeterson's trip to Germany. :)
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Have you approved the characters? Do you want me to post in the character thread or you will do it ?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Oh yes, your characters are fine, I'll double check stats and skills before we play, but the concepts / backgrounds are great. :)

To be honest I was always going to allow whatever you wanted, so long as you are all friends of Jackson and/or Jonah, preferably with a few of you already knowing each other, then that's all I needed.

You can copy your characters into the investigators thread - Mr Handy, you can either delete the Amy post that I made and repost yourself, or just edit my post as needed. I tried to change the poster to make it your post after I'd copied Amy across, but that board function doesn't seem to work anymore - unless it's not possible on Admin posts (even my own!).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I was able to edit the post and put the new link for the image in it.

You might not be able to change a post's author if you've set yourself as a Standard Moderator (the default) rather than a Full Moderator (that's the only difference between them). You should be able to change your moderator permissions for this forum in the ACP.

I'll be away myself from the 8th through the 15th. I do expect to have Internet access and my laptop, so I should be able to post most days unless something unusual happens. However, I'll be unable to post for most of the 8th and all of the 15th, as those are the days of my flights.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry for the slow start, I'll put up the first post tomorrow or Sunday.

I've got a couple of queries about your characters first.

@Mr Handy: Amy's background has the part about saying goodbye to Jackson, but this prologue is going to be where Jackson says goodbye to his friends before his expedition. So has that conversation already taken place a day ago, or is better if it happens during this short scene?

@Andy: I need Archie to be in New York sat in the West 22nd Street Coffee Pot in June 1924, after we won't meet these characters again until January 1925 - you're all welcome to fill in what you've been up to via conversation or introspection, but I won't be playing out the intervening time.

So I'll need Archie to be within a day or two's travel of New York and easily contactable by either Jackson or one of the other characters. Ideally he'd need to be somewhere on the US Eastern Seaboard. He could just be coincidentally in NY at the time that Jackson is leaving, and then could find a reason to remain in the city due to the conversation in the coffee shop, or you could already have a reason to be in the area for the next year or so - but you do need to be local, I won't be able to summon your character all the way from India in Jan 1925. That said your character is great, we just need him to be in the Big Apple! :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think it would be better to play that out in this scene.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Traditionally, the British in India headed for the hills of Simla over summer to avoid the heat. June being basically too hot on the Sub-Continent for any of the major activities Tremayne is interested in, he shall spend the summer of 1924 on leave in the US and alternating between New York and New England, searching for a US publisher for his own mountaineering accounts, giving talks and seeking financial backing for his next expedition. During this time, he will certainly spend time socially with Elias and no doubt badger Kensington as a possible publisher.

At some point over that summer, Tremayne will have secured a publisher of some description (possibly Kensington?). He will then return to India and resign his commission to pursue mountain exploring full-time. From that point on, the life of the explorer will be one of expedition followed by publication, presentations in the US and Great Britain, and hunting financial backing for the next expedition. So come chilly January of 1925, Tremayne will be back in New England giving talks and chatting up the donors.

Does that sound OK?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Mr. Handy wrote:I think it would be better to play that out in this scene.
Great. Let’s say that your father has already told you that Jackson is planning to leave imminently (he’s not mentioned it to you yet), and you know that this afternoon coffee will probably be your last chance to put your plans into action.
andyw666 wrote:Traditionally, the British in India headed for the hills of Simla over summer to avoid the heat. June being basically too hot on the Sub-Continent for any of the major activities Tremayne is interested in, he shall spend the summer of 1924 on leave in the US and alternating between New York and New England, searching for a US publisher for his own mountaineering accounts, giving talks and seeking financial backing for his next expedition. During this time, he will certainly spend time socially with Elias and no doubt badger Kensington as a possible publisher.

At some point over that summer, Tremayne will have secured a publisher of some description (possibly Kensington?). He will then return to India and resign his commission to pursue mountain exploring full-time. From that point on, the life of the explorer will be one of expedition followed by publication, presentations in the US and Great Britain, and hunting financial backing for the next expedition. So come chilly January of 1925, Tremayne will be back in New England giving talks and chatting up the donors.

Does that sound OK?
That sounds fine. However, since a large part of the campaign involves intercontinental travel, and the difficulties of it, and since New York to India (and back) is about as long a journey as could be imagined (probably two months each way), it wouldn’t leave very long for an expedition in India. I was wondering if you’d consider that Archie might change his plans if Kensington made him an offer?

Jackson could be planning to introduce you to Jonah Kensington at the Coffee Pot and you hope to secure an agreement with the publisher to return in a year’s time with your memoirs. I could have Kensington make you an offer that would pay for six months work in the USA for an experienced person with your skills. If you help him with this he’ll promise to pay an advance for your memoirs, you might even be able to talk him into paying the advance right now, rather than in January – an excellent offer for an unpublished writer.

Jackson's rented room at the Hotel Chelsea is more of a suite/apartment (they all are), so Archie can have stayed with his friend during his visit. He knows that Jackson is leaving New York tomorrow, but the Author hasn't told him anything else other than he's heading to Africa this time. Jackson seems very excited. He's promised to introduce Archie to his publisher Jonah Kensington before he leaves, he thinks he's just the guy that Archie is looking for.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

What if Jordan was asked by Kensington to help with the editing of Tremayne's book?

Return to “Pre-game”