Page 1 of 1

Character Creation/Rules

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy
The following rules are for character creation for new characters from 44 BC (use the Cthulhu Invictus character sheet, modified as detailed below):
  • Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
  • Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
  • Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
  • Personal wealth is based upon occupation.
You can use Invisible Castle to make your rolls, both for character creation and in the game. You'd need to register and log in there in order to make entries in the Note section describing what you're rolling, but it's free. However, Invisible Castle's registration of new users hasn't worked in years. You can still use it even without being logged in, however. Be sure to use the same spelling for your character's name consistently to make it easier to look up old rolls. Alternatively, you can use the board's built-in dice roller (the instructions are here), or a different online dice roller such as orokos.com.

Those are the only rolls you need to make for character creation. You are free to distribute the 3d6 rolls amongst the five stats that are rolled on 3d6, as well as to choose which 2d6+6 roll goes to SIZ and which to INT. EDU can be raised by making your character older. If you're still not satisfied with your rolls, let me know and we'll work something out. If your rolls are abnormally low, I may permit a reroll of the entire set.

You'll also need to decide on your character's age. The minimum age allowed is EDU+6, but you can always choose to make your character older. For every 10 full years above the minimum, you get +1 to your EDU (which also gets you an extra 20 occupational skill points). However, for every full 10 years above 40 (i.e., starting at age 50), you must reduce one of the following stats by 1: STR, CON, DEX, or APP.

Your character has the following derived stats:
Idea: INT x 5
Luck: POW x 5
Know: EDU x 5 (maximum of 99)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table
  • 12 or less: -1d6
  • 13-16: -1d4
  • 17-24: +0
  • 25-32: +1d4
  • 33 or more: +1d6
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up)
Maximum Magic Points: POW
Starting Sanity: POW x 5

You get 20 x EDU occupational skill points that can only be used to increase skills for your chosen profession. You also get 10 x INT hobby skill points that can be spent to increase any skills (even the ones for your occupation if you really want). The only skill that cannot be raised is Cthulhu Mythos, which always starts at 0%. The other skills have base levels of 1% or higher, and the points you spend add to those base levels. To see the list of skills and their starting levels, see Lucius Verres's character sheet in the Character Sheets thread. It is identical to the standard Cthulhu Invictus character sheet (6th edition), but with a few modifications to make it comparable to characters from other eras:
  • Empire skill has been replaced by Republic, as Rome is still a Republic (sort of) at this point in history
  • The base skill for Climb is 40%, and the base skill for Library Use is 25%, as with characters from the more traditional eras. The History skill has likewise been added to the Invictus sheet with a base level of 20%.
  • The Insight skill is the ancient equivalent of the Psychology skill, Natural World corresponds to Natural History, Potions replaces Pharmacy , Repair/Devise is Mechanical Repair, Status replaces Credit Rating, and the Science subskills are Architecture, Astrology, Augury, Engineering, Geography, Mathematics, Metallurgy, and Philosophy/Religion.
  • The Own Kingdom skill is for your character's homeland (often the Roman Republic, which encompasses a lot of territory, though it is not actually a "kingdom"). Other Kingdom can be taken multiple times, once for each land as a subskill, much like sciences.
  • There aren't separate skills for reading and writing languages. You just need one skill for each language.
Check the "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" thread (when I post it) for possible character concepts and lists of occupational skills. If you have something else in mind, let me know your character concept and I can give you a suitable list of occupational skills. The occupational skills for many professions are also listed in the Cthulhu Invictus rulebook, if you have it. Some of these lists allow you to choose one or two of your occupational skills. Just make sure it's within reason for your chosen occupation.

I won't be imposing a cap for starting skills, but you should justify any exceptionally high skills you have in your character background. 75% in a skill means that you're an expert. 90% means that you're one of the best in the world. Spend all your skill points during character creation, as they're of no use once the game is underway.

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:48 am
by DrPeterson
Player: DrPeterson
Name: Tiberius Tullius Germanicus
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Mansion on the Palatine Hill, Estate in the country
Birthplace: Rome, 90 BCE
Home Era: Late Roman Republic

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 11
SIZ: 12
DEX: 9
APP: 11
INT: 12 (Idea - 60)
POW: 16 (Luck - 80 )
EDU: 16 ( 14+2 for age) (Know - 80)

Sanity: 80
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 16
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Appearance:

Germanicus bears himself with the majesty of his station and always strives to look his best in public. His senatorial toga always neatly folded when he goes out and his hear cropped in the style of the Legions. He bears scars from his days in service, though his face is unscathed.

He is a lean man with pale, impassive eyes and a strong face, belying his noble birth and station. His body is still strong for his age and he exercises regularly to keep it thus. His hair is fairer than that of most Romans, one of the facts contributing to his cognomen.

Personality:

Tiberius Tullius Germanicus is a severe, but just man who values the hierarchy of society and the power and order of Rome above all. He strongly disapproves of the corruption with which the Republic is rife and is convinced Rome needs a strong man to lead her out of this cesspit.

He is practically inclined and is still an army man at heart. He will value skill above title, but will always give preference to what is best for the Republic. Although he is a capable administrator and politician, he yearns for the simplicity and hardship of the field and his young days campaigning with the Legions. It is with those of military skill and reputation that he will relax most.

Although a staunch Republican, he supports Gaius Julius Caesar's bid for power and has pleaded on his behalf in the Senate.

Germanicus spends his free time gardening, reading, attending public spectacles and supporting the Red Team at the races.
Despite his proclivity for horse races, he is no great horseman and distrusts the beasts.

Background:

Born in Rome, Tiberius Tullius grew up amid the politics that were his father's trade. He was brought up to follow the Cursus Honorum and spent most of his time as a military tribune in Gallia Transalpina, especially on the border with Germania Inferior. It was during a particularly daring raid into German territory that he earned his cognomen and befriended Marcus Antonius with whom he shared command of the mission.
Upon the death of Tiberius Tullius Lepidus, Germanicus returned to Rome to inherit his father's estates and ascend through the ranks of politics.

He is married to Aemilia Scipionis with whom he had two children, a son Tiberius Tullius and a daughter Tullia Germanica. Marcus Tullius Germanicus died serving the Legions in Iudea and Tullia married Publius Licinius Crassus, the son of Marcus Crassus, with whom she had a daughter, Licinia. After the death of her husband, Tullia and her daughter returned to the home of her parents.

Germanicus is a cousin of Marcus Tullius Cicero, the two are friendly despite their political differences.

Germanicus is a member of the Populares party and the Equestrian order.

Relations with other characters:

Claudius Marcius:
Germanicus took Claudius into his household after the latter accidentally thwarted an assassination attempt. He was begging in the streets and obstructed the knifemen long enough for Germanicus's lictors to notice them. With the surprise undone, the axebearers made short work of the senator's assailants.

A second instance led Germanicus to believe that Claudius was send by the gods as a sort divine protector. Whilst visiting the stables at the Circus Maximus, several of the horses broke loose and would have trampled the senator, were it not that the surprise appearance of the wretched creature scared off the horse and made it run in another direction.

Skills:,(Non-default skills BOLD,Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *) Accounting (10%): Animal Handling (10%): Art (05%): Bargain (05%): [b][i]Civics (10%): 60%[/i][/b] Climb (40%): Conceal (15%): Craft (05%): Cthulhu Mythos (00%): [b].Dodge (DEX x 2): 30%[/b] Drive (20%): [i][b]Republic (25%): 60%[/b][/i] Fast Talk (05%): First Aid (30%): Hide (10%): History (20%): Insight (05%): Jump (25%): [b][i]Library Use (25%): 50%[/i][/b] Listen (25%): Medicine (05%): [b].Natural World (10%): 30%[/b] Navigate (10%): Occult (05%): [i][b]Other Kingdoms (01%): Gaul 25%[/b][/i] [i][b]Other Kingdoms (01%): Germania 20%[/b][/i] [b][i]Other Language (01%): Greek 40%[/i][/b] [b][i]Other Language (01%): Germanic 15%[/i][/b] [b][i]Other Language (01%): Celtic 15%[/i][/b] Own Kingdom (20%): [b]Own Language (Latin): 80%[/b] [i][b]Persuade (15%): 60%[/b][/i] Pilot Boat (01%): Potions (01%): Repair/Devise (20%): Ride Horse (05%): Science (01%): Sneak (10%): Spot Hidden (25%): [i][b]Status (15%): 70%[/b][/i] Swim (25%): [b].Tactics (01%): 40%[/b][color=#FF0000]*[/color] Track (10%): Hand-to-Hand: Fist/Punch (50%): Grapple (25%): Head Butt (10%): Kick (25%): Knife(25%): [b].Short Sword (15%): 64%[/b]

Inventory:
Officer's gladius (1d6+1+1d4), Leather and scale armour with the Roman eagle emblazoned (Protection 6),

Fully equipped and staffed mansion in Rome with a decent library focussing on military topics as well as herbology,
Estate in the country,
Property and assets worth over a million sesterce, mainly invested in grain and olive production, as well as tenements in the Subura.
Ready money: 2100 Sestertii

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:13 pm
by CrackheadC.
Player: CrackheadC.
Name: Titus Iunius Philo
Current Residence: Rome
Colleges, Degrees: N/A
Birthplace: Rome, 79BCE

Characteristics:
STR: 6
CON: 14
SIZ: 12
DEX: 6
APP: 7
INT: 12 (Idea - 60)
POW: 13 (Luck - 65 )
EDU: 20 (19+1 for age) (Know - 99)

Sanity: 65
Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: 0

Appearance
Titus is a rough looking middle-aged man with mid-length auburn hair and an unkempt beard. He typically wears a graying old toga with a dark red over cloak.

Background:
Titus didn't have much going for him as the seventh child in his family - not likely to take over the head of household, not expected to work in the family business or join the military. Had his father not received signs to do otherwise at their home's shrine, he would have left Titus to the elements. It was a wise decision. Ever since he was a child Titus has had visions of the future, an ability that his family took advantage of. As he got older and became more of his own man Titus began to offer his services to other high-ranking families and close personal friends.

Skills:,(Non-default skills BOLD,Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *) Accounting (10%): Animal Handling (10%): Art (05%): Bargain (05%): Civics (10%): Climb (40%): Conceal (15%): Craft (05%): Cthulhu Mythos (00%): [b]Dodge (DEX x 2): 12%[/b] Drive (20%): Republic (25%): Fast Talk (05%): [b].First Aid (30%): 60%[/b] Hide (10%): History (20%): [b][i]Insight (05%): 75%[/i][/b] Jump (25%): [b][i]Library Use (25%): 75%[/i][/b] Listen (25%): [b][i]Medicine (05%): 40%[/i][/b] [b][i]Natural World (10%): 75%[/i][/b] Navigate (10%): [b][i]Occult (05%): 75%[/i][/b] Other Kingdoms (01%): Other Language (01%): Own Kingdom (Roman Republic) (20%): Own Language (Latin): 99% [b].Persuade (15%): 60%[/b] Pilot Boat (01%): [b][i]Potions (01%): 37%[/i][/b] Repair/Devise (20%): Ride Horse (05%): [b][i]Science (Augury) (01%): 75%[/i][/b] Sneak (10%): Spot Hidden (25%): [b].Status (15%): 60%[/b] Swim (25%): Tactics (01%): Track (10%):
Money: 9 Sesterii

Inventory:
Small Knife
Simple Toga
Gallium (overcloak)
Sandals
Small Leather Satchel

Spells:
Augury,Range: N/A • Duration: Instantaneous • Cost: 1 MP • Sanity: 1D3 • Resistance: No This spell allows Roman augurs to predict the future. Before casting this spell, the auger must determine what form of augury (ex caelo, ex avibus, ex tripudiis, ex quadrupedibus, or ex diris) is most appropriate. He then must carry out the ritual by making a Science (Augury) skill check. If successful, the augur receives a vague glimpse of the future. These can often be interpreted in multiple ways. For example, an augur trying to predict the outcome of a major battle between the Legion and a Celtic tribe might glimpse a vision of battered and bloody centurions returning to Rome. That could be interpreted to mean that the Legions will lose and limp back home, or, on the other hand might be seen as a portent that victory will be hard-fought. A successful Know roll might help an augur understand an uncertain vision. This spell is only usable once a week. If the augur sees a creature or event that would result in Sanity loss under normal circumstances, he loses the same amount that he would have lost in a face-to-face encounter
Rolls from Orokos:,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/310005]STR,CON, POW, DEX, and APP[/url]: [u]5#3d6[/u] [b]7[/b] [b]14[/b] [b]13[/b] [b]6[/b] [b]6[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/310006]2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT[/url]: [u]2#2d6+6[/u] [b]12[/b] [b]12[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/310008]3d6+3 for EDU[/url]: [u]3d6+3[/u] [b]19[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/310014]Augur money roll (1d3-1 x 100)[/url]: [u]1d3-1[/u] [b]0[/b]

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:17 pm
by Supercape
Work in progress too!

I hope DrPeterson will agree to having Claudius as his nasty servant (let me know otherwise).

Rolls
Spoiler:
[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4833526/]3d6,3d6,2d6+6,2d6+6,3d6,3d6,3d6,3d6+3=[1, 1, 1], [5, 3, 3], [2, 2, 6], [5, 1, 6], [5, 2, 4], [3, 3, 4], [2, 3, 2], [2, 3, 6, 3]
Player: Supercape
Name: Claudius Marcius
Current Residence: Wherever Tiberius goes
Birthplace: Abandoned in a sewer in Rome

STR 11
CON 11
SIZ 12
INT 10
POW 11
DEX 10
APP 3
EDU 12 (10+2 Age)

Sanity: 55
Phobias/Mental Disorders:
Hit Points 12
Magic Points 11

Background

Claudius was born deformed. He has a misshapen, lopsided face with wide protruding eyes and a horribly crooked nose. We walks with a limp and has a speech impediment. Whilst hardly bright, he is not as feeble minded as people might first think. Abandoned at birth, he was taken in by a powerful family as a "charity case". Which meant he got to live, and everyone else got to order him around, laugh and taunt him, and beat or whip him. Fair deal, in his eyes. His truest friend is his pet cat called "Scratch", the scourge of the kitchen rodent.

Personality

Claudius has been bullied and beaten all his life, and curses the Gods for leaving his so deformed. He is a nasty piece of work, but slavishly loyal to his master who at least keeps him fed and watered, and doesn't whip him so often. He has learned to defer to power, and is extremely astute to any potential whippings or beatings. Whilst he is a ghastly, cruel, and violent man when he gets the chance (he will slip a knife in your back rather than have a straight up fight), he literally worships anyone who shows him kindness.

Skills

NB: I am going to suggest his occupation skills are: Animal Handling, Craft, Listen, Spot Hidden, Hide, Sneak, Insight (he is a sneaky dogsbody who does all the dirty jobs and does his best to stay out of sight in case he gets whipped just for showing his face).
Spoiler:
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%): 20%
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
.Conceal (15%): 50%
Craft [Carpentry] (05%):15%
Craft [Cooking] (05%): 15%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 35%
Drive Horses (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
Hide:(10%) 80%
History (20%):
Insight (05%): 35%
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%): 50%
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 50%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%):
Ride Horse (05%):
Science (01%):
Sneak (10%): 80%
Spot Hidden (25%): 40%
Status (15%):
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
.Knife(25%): 75%
Short Sword (15%):
Equipment: Butchers Knife on his belt (1D6), Concealed small blade tucked away (1D4), Rags, Cooking Herbs, Salt.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Ack! :oops: I'm so sorry. I accidentally edited your post instead of adding a new post, Dr. Peterson, and I'm not sure how to recover what you had before. I'll ask on the Staff Forum if there's a way. I had had it open in the edit window trying to view the contents of the spoiler button. I hope you have a backup saved or can reconstruct the sheet. I remember that you had 2100 sesterces as starting money, Civics ??%, Republic 55%, Fast Talk 05%, Library Use 50%, Other Kingdom: Gallia ?? and Other Kingdom: Germania ??, Other Language: Greek 40%, Other Language: Germanic 19%, Persuade 65%, Status 70% for your occupational skills, and Dodge 25%, Natural World 38%, Tactics 40% and Short Sword 60% for hobby skills. You had DEX 9, INT 12, POW 16, EDU 16 (including +2 from age), APP 11, SIZ 12, CON 11 (I may have those last two switched), and (I think) STR 15.

Tiberius Tullius Germanicus: I can't open the spoiler button with the stat rolls because there's an apostrophe in the caption. For some reason, the Spoiler-Button tag doesn't work right when you have one. At age 42 in 44 BC, you'd have been born in 86 or 87 BC, depending on your birthday. The introduction took place in 48 BC, but the main story takes place a few years later. You have 12 HP, not 11 (the average of CON and SIZ is rounded up). You've only spent 310 occupational skill points out of 320, so go ahead and add 10 points to one or more occupational skills. You've also spent 119 out of 120 hobby skill points (the first point of Tactics, or any skill with a base level of 01%, is free), so you can add that extra skill point to any skill. Otherwise, everything looks great! And go Reds!

Titus Ionius Philo: Like all skills, Own Language has a maximum of 99%. Everything else is perfect, and an augur will fit right in. Yes, you can start with the Augury spell. In fact, before I'd read in the Invictus rulebook that it was an option, I was planning to have the Augury spell take effect when you performed an augury. The minimum starting money for an augur is 100 sesterii, even when you roll a 0.

Claudius Marcius: Your EDU as you rolled it was actually 14 (which can be further increased through age), and one of your 3d6 rolls was a 7 (the others were 3, 11, 11, and 10), so you will probably want to adjust your character sheet and spend extra skill points accordingly. The actual occupational skill list for a generic slave is Civics, Craft, Republic (replaces Empire), Insight, Natural World, and three other skills of your choice, but you can use your suggested list instead. A large kitchen knife would do 1d6 damage (and should also be concealed when you're out in the streets of Rome, though probably not as well as the smaller knife). Also, please roll 1d10 to see how many sesterii you have at the start.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:09 am
by DrPeterson
Don't worry, I have it all written down at home.

See you all in a week'

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
That's a relief! I had been trying desperately to find a way to get the post back. I remembered a lot of your stats and skills, but it's also very important that the background information is preserved. I recalled a few more things (I believe STR was actually 14, Other Kingdom: Gallia was 25%, Other Kingdom: Germania was 20%, and Civics was 55% or 60%; Repulibc might have been 60% rather than 55%), but thankfully it won't be needed since you have it written down. The numbers I remembered didn't quite add up to the total I had calculated, however. What had happened was that I thought I had hit Quote, but I had hit Edit instead.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:55 pm
by aine

Name: Caelia Alba
Sex: Female
Birthplace: Rome
Home Era: 40 BC

Characteristics:
STR: 9

CON: 11
SIZ: 9
DEX: 14
APP: 17
INT: 17 (Idea - 85)
POW: 15 (Luck - 75)
EDU: 16 (Know - 80)

Sanity: 75
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 15
Damage Bonus: +0

Background: Father is Caelius Albus Graecus, physician to the richest and most influential people in Rome. He is held in the highest regard for his skills and knowledge. Caelia learnt her skills at her father's side and travelled widely with him especially to Greece and Egypt to study medicine. She was married briefly to a centurion who died in battle and she now works with her father. She has a son who is away in Greece. She has good connections with the priestesses at the temple of Bona Dea, The Good Goddess. Caelia is well respected amongst the medical fraternity, not only because of her father, but also in her own right as a skilful herbalist and medical researcher. Because of her sex, she is generally called on only by female clients and broad-minded men. She has a villa outside Rome that was her husband's and she studies there in the heat of the summer.

Skills:
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%): 25%
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 28
Drive (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%): 70%
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%): 45%
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%): 45%
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%): 65%
Natural World (10%): 40%
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%): 15%
Other Kingdoms Aegyptus (01%): 21%
Own Kingdom (20%):
Other Language (01%): Greek 41% Egyptian 41%
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 80%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%): 41%
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic(25%): 45%
Ride Horse (05%):
Religion(01%): 31%
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%): 35%
Status (15%): 70%
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%): 45%
Burning Torch (10%):

Equipment:
Clothes, herbs, scalpels, linen (in a medical bag??)
Sesterii: 400

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 am
by Supercape
Mr. Handy wrote:
Claudius Marcius: Your EDU as you rolled it was actually 14 (which can be further increased through age), and one of your 3d6 rolls was a 7 (the others were 3, 11, 11, and 10), so you will probably want to adjust your character sheet and spend extra skill points accordingly. The actual occupational skill list for a generic slave is Civics, Craft, Republic (replaces Empire), Insight, Natural World, and three other skills of your choice, but you can use your suggested list instead. A large kitchen knife would do 1d6 damage (and should also be concealed when you're out in the streets of Rome, though probably not as well as the smaller knife). Also, please roll 1d10 to see how many sesterii you have at the start.
Cool. I was under the impression that I could swap out EDU and something else (As both rolled on 3d6), and then add +3 to EDU. Honestly, Claudius rolls' were pretty low (he is below average overall, without a single attribute being above average) so I am going to play him as a pretty incompetent person. I would prefer to have his EDU lower, he is gutter guy, without any education. That said, I made a booboo anyway, it should have been a 7 EDU, +3, for a base EDU of 10 rather than 9 (and a total EDU of 11). I have adujusted his EDU up to 12, and shuffled a few skills (dropped his potions skill, and made him a really good sneaker, I hope this is ok. Its basically the one thing he does well...lurk...)

If you cant swap EDU rolls, let me know and Ill bump his EDU up to 10+3+2=15, and drop his DEX to 7 (and shuffle some skills again).

If I can keep the characters skills I would prefer to. The slave list doesn't really fit my concept of an ignorant servant.

Ill just say he hasn't got a coin to his name if that's ok?

Still looking for another player to have Claudius as a deformed stupid henchman...any takers? ;) (I'm looking first at DrPeterson!)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, all of that is fine. I'll examine the new character sheet when I have time, possibly tomorrow night.

All of the character concepts are great and will fit well into the story!

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:23 pm
by aine
As Caelia is connected to a temple I put some points into occult and religion but might they be the same thing? Or maybe another religion such as Greek/Egyptian? what was occult for Romans?! I copied Lucius' sheet and so have the civics skill; is this government and politics and do you think Caelia would have points in this as she is is kind of in those circles - senators wives' coffee mornings etc, or not? Also, she has been to Greece and Egypt, are they part of the Empire or does she need other Kingdom points to reflect her time there?

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Philosophy/Religion is one of the Science subskills. It is distinct from Occult, though there will be some overlap. Science(Philosophy/Religion) covers the classic Greek philosophies of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and the like, or a particular school of philosophy such as Stoicism. The Religion part covers the tenets of a religion as well as raw facts about it and how its practices and ceremonies are conducted. Science(Philosophy/Religion) can be taken multiple times, once for each philosophy or religion you've studied. Occult is knowledge of hidden things, whether or not they are associated with a religion. It also covers magic, which Romans believed in - enough to pass laws forbidding its practice. You won't actually know any spells with Occult, but if you see a magical object or effect, it may clue you in as to something similar you've heard about from legends and mythology.

Civics is useful for all Romans, but especially for someone who interacts with politicians (even moreso if you're a client of Germanicus). It makes sense for you to have points in it. It replaces the Law skill from traditional CoC, but it also covers the workings of government and how to grease the wheels to get things done.

Greece is part of the Republic (not yet the Empire) at this time and is included in the Republic skill, but Egypt is still an independent kingdom ruled by Queen Cleopatra, who is Julius Caesar's mistress, so you would want to put points into Other Kingdom(Aegyptus).

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm
by CrackheadC.
Handy, I'm all set with my character. I didn't write down any of the fighting skills because they are all at default.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Titus Iunius Philo and Claudius Marcius are good to go. I'll add their character sheets to the thread when I have time, probably this weekend.

There are a few corrections needed for Caella Alba. Her occupational skills are First Aid, Insight, Library Use, Medicine, Natural World, Occult, Potions, and Knife. A total of 240 occupational skill points have been spent on seven of these skills (with nothing spent on Knife), out of 320. You've spent an additional 251 skill points on other skills. 80 of them must be the missing occupational skill points, so it seems you've substituted Other Language for Knife as your eighth occupational skill. If that's the case, you've only overspent by one point. You also need to specify what kind of Art you've studied. Presumably you've studied the Roman religion for your Science(Religion) skill, but please let me know if it's a different one.

You have 1d4 times 100 sesterii as your starting money. Please feel free to roll.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:04 am
by Supercape
FInal note MrHandy, Could Claudius' Status skill be reduced to 05% or even 01%? He is the lowest of the low (or just rename it "Beg for mercy/ Elicit Sympathy" skill...)

Re: Character Creation/Rul

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:17 pm
by aine
I can change the skill points if you like: I guessed what skills she might have as I didn't have any resources at the time. She is more of a research kind of doctor: she hasn't spent years on the battlefield patching up centurions - being a girl and all that! The civics extra point was an error - well spotted.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Supercape wrote:FInal note MrHandy, Could Claudius' Status skill be reduced to 05% or even 01%? He is the lowest of the low (or just rename it "Beg for mercy/ Elicit Sympathy" skill...)
Claudius may be the lowest of the low, but he is the property of someone prominent, and his master's name carries some weight. Status should probably stay at 15% (in fact, you'd have justified in spending points there had you wanted).
aine wrote:I can change the skill points if you like: I guessed what skills she might have as I didn't have any resources at the time. She is more of a research kind of doctor: she hasn't spent years on the battlefield patching up centurions - being a girl and all that! The civics extra point was an error - well spotted.
That's fine, and you can keep her skills as they are. You actually guessed very well, picking seven out of eight correctly. I haven't had time to post the occupational skills for the various professions yet, but I should be able to get them posted this weekend. Other Language can be your eighth occupational skill instead of Knife. With 80 occupational and 10 hobby skill points spent on Egyptian and Greek, everything now balances. You just need to roll 1d4 and multiply by 100 to get your starting money.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:08 am
by aine
All that sucking up to rich clients has paid off:
1d4=4, so 400 sesterii.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I was sick tonight, so I didn't get to finish posting the occupation descriptions. I got about halfway through them, and I'll have to post the rest when I can, as well as other background materials. I'll need to call in sick tomorrow, but since I won't be at work, I may be able to continue then if I recover enough.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 pm
by DrPeterson
Quick hello from Ireland!
Supercape, I don't mind Claudius being Germanicus 's slave, but he does not have a big tolerance for incompetence and holds his reputation high, so you might expect to occasional near-fatal public beating.
If you're OK with that, then so am I.
Germanicus might keep Claudius around as a sort of pet or reverse mirror, I'm sure we'll roll into a fun angle to play.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:55 am
by Supercape
DrPeterson wrote: Supercape, I don't mind Claudius being Germanicus 's slave, but he does not have a big tolerance for incompetence and holds his reputation high, so you might expect to occasional near-fatal public beating.
Absolutely fine with that. Cladius is a beaten and traumatised victim. He is a complete loser.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 am
by andyw666
Hi there, I was thinking of playing a humble Legionnaire of Gallic heritage. I'll post something shortly...

Actually, he shall be Auxiliary Cavalry.

Cavalry: A mounted warrior, a specialized type of auxiliary soldier.
Skills: Drive, Republic (substituted for Empire), Ride, Status, Tactics, Track, and two weapon skills of your choice.
Money: 1D3 x 50 sesterii, plus armor, weapons, and horse

Cheers

Andy

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4838986/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4838987/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4838988/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4841010/

Name: Decius Lupus
Sex: M
Birthplace: Gaul

Characteristics:
STR: 14

CON: 10
SIZ: 14
DEX: 15
APP: 6
INT: 11 (Idea - 55%)
POW: 7 (Luck - 35%)
EDU: 17 (Know - 85%) [+2 for age]

Sanity: 35
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 7

Background:
Lupus' Gallic tribe had surrendered to Rome many year ago. As a free but foreign child (his birth name was Vercingetorix), Lupus soon enough realised the benefit of becoming a Citizen of the mighty Republic. All but born in the saddle, as soon as he was old enough, Lupus enlisted in the Auxiliary Cavalry Exploratores. Upon earning his citizenship, he adopted the new Roman name Decius Lupus. Having spent years now as a scout, messenger and more regular Cavalryman, Lupus has no illusions about the hazards of his chosen profession but realises he has become quite adept at it, and does not wish to leave. He is nonetheless very cautious in all activities. Although superstitious by background and occupation, Lupus has recently become interested in Stoic philosophy.

Lupus is rather bearish in appearance, tall and muscular, with greying red Gallic hair, a tanned complexion from years in the field, and a stunningly ugly face, covered in many scars and with a very broken nose.

Skills:

(Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2 30%): 40%
Drive (20%): 40%
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
.Hide (10%): 40%
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
.Navigate (10%): 20%
Occult (05%):
.Other Kingdoms (Gaul) (01%): 11%
Own Kingdom (20%):
.Other Language (Gallic) (01%): 31%
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 85%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic(25%): 50%
Ride Horse (05%): 70%
Religion(01%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 35%
Status (15%): 40%
Swim (25%):
Tactics (25%): 50%
Throw (25%):
Track (10%): 75%

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):
Burning Torch (10%):
Sword (Long) (20%): 75%
Bow (15%): 75%
.Shield (Medium) (15%): 25%

Equipment:
Horse
Long Sword (1d8)
Bow (1d8)
Medium Shield
Leather and Scale Armour (6 pt)
100 sesterii

Sunt milites veteres, sunt milites audaces. Non sunt milites veteres atque audaces.
(There are old soldiers, and there are bold soldiers. There are no old, bold soldiers.)

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 pm
by DrPeterson
I've reconstructed the numbers, but the prose won't be there before tonight. :)

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:25 pm
by DrPeterson
Supercape, I added a bit of background as to why Germanicus would want to keep a wretch like Claudius around.
See if you like it :)

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:28 am
by Supercape
Good for me. A complex relationship!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Nice! I also remembered that Germanicus is related to Cicero from your previous writeup (they sure the name Tullius), but it isn't mentioned here. I'll have to double-check the math over the weekend, as I don't have time tonight.

An Gallic auxiliary cavalryman is good, and he may know Germanicus from his own days in the Legions. This could have led to him becoming Germanicus's client. One thing to note is that Tactics has a base skill of 25% for you because it's one of your occupational skills (it's 01% when it's a hobby skill) from your Legionary training.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:28 am
by DrPeterson
Ah yes, I knew I'd forgotten something :)

Added it to the text.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
I also remember that Germanicus was part of the conquest of Gaul, where he served under the overall command of Julius Caesar. His character sheet adds up, and he's ready to start.

Caella has overspent by 20 points. She gets 320 occupational skill points and 170 hobby skill points, for a total of 490 points. However, she has 510 points spent on skills. You can either make her ten years older (thus giving her an extra 20 occupational skill points, as well as +5 to Know and Own Language) and shift ten points from hobby skills into occupational skills, or you can reduce her skills by a total of 20 points. You've spent 330 points on your occupational skills, so 10 of them were hobby points and up to ten of the points you deduct may come from your occupational skills. The rest would have to come from your other skills.

Andy, do you need any help creating your character?

I haven't heard from johnson41996 or Vladd yet, and neither of them has logged in for some time. If I need to, I can start the scenario without them, and they can always jump in a little later if they return. TheVaultTech has signed up for this game too.

This weekend I should be able to put the completed character sheets in the Character Sheets thread.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:17 am
by andyw666
Hi there Mr Handy, OK, the character is ready to be checked over. Sorry for the delay.

I'm more than happy for any suggested connection between Lupus and the other PCs.

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:37 pm
by aine
I've reduced knife by 10%, occupational, and status and civics by 5% each, hobbies.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:26 pm
by TheVaultTech
Hi, I'm working on a sheet but I probably won't have it until tomorrow or even the day after.
I'm on a mobile device that loses 2% a minute when plugged in and not turned off.
I just hope I don't end up with a character exactly like someone else's.

*Edit: This shouldn't be a problem later, just getting everything together is slow.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
No problem, I probably won't be ready to start the new players off in a thread just yet anyway, so there's no rush and you can take your time.
aine wrote:I've reduced knife by 10%, occupational, and status and civics by 5% each, hobbies.
I think Other Language was substituted for Knife as an occupational skill. I'll allow this, but you might not want to lower your Knife skill now that you've invested some points into it. If you prefer, you could just drop 5 points from each language instead.
andyw666 wrote:Hi there Mr Handy, OK, the character is ready to be checked over. Sorry for the delay.

I'm more than happy for any suggested connection between Lupus and the other PCs.

Cheers,

Andy
Great character, and he's all ready to go! The only issue was that his Knife skill is listed as 45%, which is probably copied and pasted from another character sheet and simply not erased. That would overspend by 20 points, so you probably didn't mean to put points into it considering that it isn't bolded. If you do want to keep the 45% in Knife, you'll need to lower one or more other hobby skills by a total of 20 points. It could still be useful, even though the long sword does more damage and you're more skilled with it. It's illegal to carry weapons on the streets of Rome, but just about everybody carried a small concealable knife anyway.

Lupus might have served under Germanicus during the conquest of the rest of Gaul and his campaign in Germania, and he could have later become his client.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:51 am
by aine
Okay, I've dropped the languages to 41 and knife's back up to 45.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:16 am
by andyw666
Oops! Quite right, the knife skill isn't meant to be there, I shall get rid of it right now (was indeed a copy/paste error).

More than happy for Lupus to have campaigned under Germanicus back in the day, and to have subsequently become his client.

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:14 am
by Grognardsw
Hello all, I'm looking forward to joining the campaign. I've heard of Invictus but have never played CoC in Roman times. I'm a fan of that time period though, and have enjoyed Steven Saylor's Roman historical mystery novels with Gordianus the Finder (as well as the Spartacus TV series.)

Anyway, I'm working on a character. A former gladiator who won his freedom and works for his lanista in a various capacities: bodyguard, enforcer, trainer, and still occasional gladiator in the arena. He was a former Gaellic druid who on his 21st birthday his tribe was attacked and he was enslaved. Over the years he trained, fought, won his freedom. In that time he lost his old religion, his family and friends are gone, and he's decided to stay in Rome.

Possible relationship among characters: His lanista is a good friend of Lucius, who has sponsored the ludus and some of Aricus’ past fights. When Lucius needs muscle he knows where to go.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:19 pm
by Grognardsw
Aricus Callidus Gladio (Aricus "Clever Sword")

Occupation: Ex-Gladiator and Free Servant of Lanista Proculus Lartius Valens
Birthplace: Gaelic Britain 

Characteristics:
STR: 12
CON: 12
SIZ: 16
DEX: 12
APP: 9
INT: 13 (Idea - 65)
POW: 11 (Luck - 55)
EDU: 15 (Know - 75) 

Max Sanity: 55
Current Sanity: 54 (saw serpent man for a flash)
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None yet
Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 11

Appearance:

Personality:

Over the years Aricus has had his Gaelic spirit beaten out of him and is today a cynical realist. He still often feels the outsider but secretly enjoys the gladatorial and Roman lifestyle. He recalls his early years as a druidic shaman-in-training with some bitterness, though he retains a secret belief in the power of (and ultimate unknowability) of the Earth gods and spirits. Because his tribe was largely slaughtered or enslaved, he has no motivation to return home. Over the years he has become accustomed to Rome and its culture, trying to make the best of the fate dealt him. 

He has friends among free citizens and slave gladiators. The latter are difficult to maintain since Aricus became a free man, but working for his former lanista, Proculus Lartius Valens, and inside the ludus (gladiator school) affords him chance to interact with these friends.

Background:

A former gladiator who won his freedom and works for his lanista, Proculus Lartius Valens, in a various capacities: bodyguard, enforcer, trainer, and still occasional gladiator in the arena. He was a former Gaellic druid who turned 21 when his tribe was attacked and he was enslaved. Over the years he trained, fought, won his freedom. In that time he lost his old religion, his family and friends are gone, and he's decided to stay in Rome.

Skills

(Professional Skills in Bold, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)

Accounting (10%):
Animal Handling (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%): 
Climb (40%): 70%
Conceal (15%): 25%
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 60%
Drive (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):  70%
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%):  60%
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%): 
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%): 
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):  
Own Kingdom (20%):
Own Language (Latin): 75 (Edu. x5)
Persuade (15%):
Pilot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%): 
Religion (01%):                                                
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%): 
Ride Horse (05%):
Science (01%): 
Sneak (10%): 50%
Spot Hidden (25%):
Status (15%): 
Swim (25%):
Throw (10%): 50%                                                
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:

Fist/Punch (50%): 75%
.Grapple (25%): 65%
Head Butt (10%):
.Kick (25%): 40%
.Knife (25%): 37%  (1d4 damage)                                                       
Gladius (15%):  75%  (1d6+1 damage)
.Shield, medium (15%) 42% (HP: 25, deflect missile)

Equipment:

Gladius, dagger, leather and ring armor (AC 5, Light burden, 2 rounds to put on), medium shield, clothes, sack, druidic totem stone

Money:   300 Sesterii
Annual income: 1,700 sestertii

Dice Rolls
Spoiler:
I used the Unseen Servant dice roller, which is a robust roller hosted by that PbP site. Here is a link to my archive of rolls:
http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... ts&pc=2980

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:01 pm
by CrackheadC.
Hey Grognard, good to have you aboard.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 pm
by DrPeterson
It seems we've got quite the Gallic connection here :)

Welcome aboard, Grognard!

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:56 am
by Grognardsw
Thanks guys!

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, Grognard! I've also watched the Spartacus TV series, as well as Rome (which is also an influence on this game).

I'm sorry it took so long to review your character. There are just a few corrections that need to be made:
  • You rolled EDU 13, so in order to get it up to 15, you need to be 20 years older than your EDU+6, which is 19. Thus, your character should be 39 (unless you want to drop your EDU by a point).
  • You have 300 occupational skill points, but you've only spent at most 235 of them on your occupational skills, assuming you chose Grapple and Gladius. Those skills are Climb, Conceal, First Aid, FIst/Punch OR Grapple (not both, but you can use hobby points to boost the other one), Insight, Sneak, Throw, and one weapon skill of your choice.
  • You have 130 hobby skill points, but you've spent 215 on non-occupational skills. Some of them you probably treated as occupational. If you deduct 65 points from hobby skills and move them to occupational skills, you'll still have overspent by 20 points.
Once you readjust your character, I think we'll be ready to start.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:50 am
by Grognardsw
Thanks I'll make those edits this weekend as I'm traveling. But don't let that stop moving ahead on the IC action.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 pm
by Grognardsw
I made the edits to Aricus. He is 39 instead of 38. He had 220 of the 300 Occupational Skill points spent, which has been adjusted. He had 240 of 130 Hobby Skill points spent, which was also adjusted. Thanks.
Spoiler:

Artemis Gaius Sylvius

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:23 am
by Ritterton
Ok, Sir, let's try this as it goes:
Player: Ritterton
Name: Artemis Gaius Sylvius
Current Residence: Treveri
Colleges, Degrees: N/A
Birthplace: Treveri
Birthdate: 84 BCE
Characteristics:
SIZ: 11
APP: 8
INT: 14 (Idea - 75)
POW: 4 (Luck - 20 )
EDU: 17 (Know - 85)

Sanity: 20
Maximum Sanity: ???
Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 4

So, Artemis Gaius Sylvius is a retired Auxiliary having been born in the area of the Treveri and retired as an ala standard bearer (signifier). He learned quickly, retained what he knew, and was able to learn how to read, write and speak Latin. He took his retirement with its citizenship for him and two children in their early adulthood (15ish same age as when he joined an auxiliary unit) and settled back in the area of Treveri, on the west bank of the Rhine. He has established a small inn consisting of two rooms in addition to his own lodging. The inn is being watched by his daughter, Aelia and her older brother, Appius, while Artemis is on this journey.

Skills: (Base + allocation of skill points)
Climb 40 + 20 = 60
Republic 25+30 = 55
Jump 25 + 30 = 55
Ride 05 +60 = 65
Sneak 0 + 52=52
Tactic 0 + 52 = 52
Throw 25+31 =56
weapon skill - Pilium/Short Javelin = 0 + 65= 65

Hobby Skills:

Latin 01 + 50= 51
Treveri = edu
Own Kingdom
History - 20 + 20 = 40
Bargain - +25
Potions - +25
First Aid - 30+ 20 = 50
civics - 10+20 = 30
Status = 0 + 30

RAW STUFF BELOW - HELP IF I DID ANYTHING WRONG..Using 7th edu base numbers for skills above

4#3d6: 4 # 12 [3d6=4, 4, 4] 10 [3d6=3, 4, 3] 4 [3d6=2, 1, 1] 9 [3d6=6, 1, 2]
Well the second roll on orokos.com was worse..lol...so...oh flip...missed one needed to roll 5#3d6 ok let's add this one Results 3d6: 8 [3d6=1, 2, 5]

Str - 12
Con - 10
Pow- 4
Dex - 9
App - 8

2#2d6+6 2#2d6+6: 2 # 14 [2d6=2, 6] 11 [2d6=4, 1]

Int - 14
Siz - 11

1#3d6+3 Results 3d6+3: 17 [3d6=5, 3, 6]

Edu 17

Idea - 70
Luck - 20
Know - 85

Auxiliary: A provincial or foreign soldier serving in the military of the Republic of Rome
Skills: Climb, Republic (substituted for Empire), Jump, Ride, Sneak, Tactics, Throw, and one weapon skill of your choice.
Money: 1D3 x 100 sesteriiResults 1d3x100: 1 [1d3x100=3]

plus weapons and armor

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Looks good! He'll need a few modifications before he's ready. The 7th edition sheet has some differences from Cthulhu Invictus, which is based on 6th edition, but there are some special differences unique to this scenario. Lucius Verres's character sheet is a good guide to use to see how it's done in this campaign. Here are the needed changes:
  • Idea score is 70, not 75
  • Maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. For a new character, Cthulhu Mythos is always 0, so this is 99.
  • Some of the base skill levels you've listed are different. Sneak has a base skill of 10%, Tactics has a base skill of 1% normally, but characters with Tactics as an occupational skill (such as yours) have a base skill of 25%. Pilum has a base skill of 10%. You may leave these extra points in the relevant skills, or you may redistribute them among other occupational skills.
  • Bargain has a a base skill of 5%, Potions has a base skill of 1%, and Status has a base skill of 15%.
  • You've overspent your hobby skill points. You get 140 of them, but you've spent 175 (even with the 15 points you've saved from Status). You will need to deduct 35 points from one or more hobby skills.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:07 am
by Ritterton
Mr. Handy wrote:Looks good! He'll need a few modifications before he's ready. The 7th edition sheet has some differences from Cthulhu Invictus, which is based on 6th edition, but there are some special differences unique to this scenario. Lucius Verres's character sheet is a good guide to use to see how it's done in this campaign. Here are the needed changes:
  • Idea score is 70, not 75
  • Maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. For a new character, Cthulhu Mythos is always 0, so this is 99.
  • Some of the base skill levels you've listed are different. Sneak has a base skill of 10%, Tactics has a base skill of 1% normally, but characters with Tactics as an occupational skill (such as yours) have a base skill of 25%. Pilum has a base skill of 10%. You may leave these extra points in the relevant skills, or you may redistribute them among other occupational skills.
  • Bargain has a a base skill of 5%, Potions has a base skill of 1%, and Status has a base skill of 15%.
  • You've overspent your hobby skill points. You get 140 of them, but you've spent 175 (even with the 15 points you've saved from Status). You will need to deduct 35 points from one or more hobby skills.
Ok, MrH, let me finish this other character I have some work to do on and then I can zero in on this one. I think I may have a few things I need to ask, but I also can work on the shaving of the overspending, sorry about that...should be easy to fix.

Fixed I think...here is the revised character sheet in a text message format

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 am
by Ritterton
Ok, Mr. Handy - did I get the changes right this time? I think I am closer to the format. text file attached

Gaius Sylvius

Player: Ritterton
Current Residence: Treveri, Gallia Belgiza
Birthplace: Region of Treveri, Gallia Belgiza
Born: 84BCE

Characteristics:
SIZ: 11
APP: 8
INT: 14 (Idea - 70)
POW: 4 (Luck - 20)
EDU: 17 (Know - 85)

Sanity: 20
Phobias/Mental Disorders: ---
Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 4
Damage Bonus: +0

Physical description: Bald, dark brown hair, brownish amber eyes, moustache now that he is not in the Legion. Stout, fairly good shape post service. Some scars on arms, hands and back. Wears a small roman eagle shaped ring and also a small, bronze

winged fascinus on a leather strand tucked into his tunic. Carries a military issued dagger that he kept from his service days.

Background: Artemis Gaius Sylvius is a retired Auxiliary having been born in the area of the Treveri and retired as an ala standard bearer (signifier). He learned quickly, retained what he knew, and was able to learn how to read, write and speak Latin. He took his

retirement with its citizenship for him and two children in their early adulthood (15ish same age as when he joined an auxiliary unit) and settled back in the area of Treveri, on the west bank of the Rhine. He has established a small inn consisting of two rooms in

addition to his own lodging. The inn is being watched by his daughter, Aelia and her older brother, Appius, while Artemis is on this journey.

Military- eer included the suppression of the clans that led a Treveri rebellion that was put down by Julius Ceasar - in effect he was fighting against the clans of his birth. His inn is established at a Treveri seat, modern Martberg/Tries-Karden. He is familiar with

some of the veterans and Roman officials in the newly establishe

Beliefs - protection from the evil eye noted below (fascinus) and also a lay practitioner of the Mithriac rites during service as he is comfortable with the duality of light and dark and the struggle between the forces of both.

Prized possessions: Veterans Diplomia; Pugio (dagger) master crafted with an SPQR and Eagle on embossed and leafed hard sheath, a retirement gift from a Roman companion; and, silver ring.

Skills: Military preceded *, Hobbies preceded by a -. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
--Bargain (05%): 25%
--Civics (10%): 18%
*Climb (40%): 60%
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 18%
Drive Horses (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
--First AId (30%): 45%
Hide (10%):
--History (20%): 37%
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%): 50%
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
--Other Language: Latin (01%): 41%
Own Language: Treveri Gallic (EDU X 5): 85%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
--Potions (01%): 21%
Repair/Devise (20%):
*Republic (25%): 55%
*Ride Horse (05%): 65%
Science (01%):
*Sneak (10%): 62%
Spot Hidden (25%):
--Status (15%): 35%
Swim (25%):
*Tactics (25%): 52%
*Throw (25%): 56%
* Pillium (10%): 75%
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):
Burning Torch (10%+):
Mace (DEX x 5): 45%

Equipment:
Pugio - Master crafted-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treveri

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy
You're almost set. Your hobby skills add up correctly now, but you've deducted points from your occupational skills and underspent on them. You get 340 occupational skill points, but you've only spent 305, including the 25 you've put in Listen. Listen is not one of your occupational skills, but Jump is, yet you've removed the points you had in it earlier. You may have meant to put those points in Jump. Once you adjust that and spend the additional 35 points on occupational skills, you'll be all set.

Feel free to read the Introduction and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Your character was in the Forum all along. Once you finish adjusting your occupational skills, you can make your first post in the latter In Character thread whenever you're ready. Also, please make a Spot Hidden roll when you do.

Note that you should not read the other IC thread (All Roads Lead to Rome), as your character wasn't in it. You may not read any IC threads that don't have your character until after the adventure concludes (with the exception of Introduction, which everyone may read).

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:33 am
by Ritterton
Mr. Handy wrote:You're almost set. Your hobby skills add up correctly now, but you've deducted points from your occupational skills and underspent on them. You get 340 occupational skill points, but you've only spent 305, including the 25 you've put in Listen. Listen is not one of your occupational skills, but Jump is, yet you've removed the points you had in it earlier. You may have meant to put those points in Jump. Once you adjust that and spend the additional 35 points on occupational skills, you'll be all set.

Feel free to read the Introduction and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Your character was in the Forum all along. Once you finish adjusting your occupational skills, you can make your first post in the latter In Character thread whenever you're ready. Also, please make a Spot Hidden roll when you do.

Note that you should not read the other IC thread (All Roads Lead to Rome), as your character wasn't in it. You may not read any IC threads that don't have your character until after the adventure concludes (with the exception of Introduction, which everyone may read).
Ok, note to self making two characters for two different games at the same time may not be good for one's sanity. ;) Let's do this:
Listen: 0
Jump +25 = 50
I'll add +5 to Ride taking that to 70%
I'll add +5 to Republic taking that to 55%

Will work on my being the forum! THANK YOU FOR HELPING WITH THIS!!

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! Actually, I was counting the 25 points that were supposed to be in Jump as part of the 305, but I had miscounted and it was actually 310 you had spent. You have another 20 occupational skill points to spend besides the 10 you spent above.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:07 am
by Ritterton
Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome! Actually, I was counting the 25 points that were supposed to be in Jump as part of the 305, but I had miscounted and it was actually 310 you had spent. You have another 20 occupational skill points to spend besides the 10 you spent above.
LOL...ok, then let's split that then with +10 in tactics taking that to 62; and +10 in throw taking that to 66. I think we have that then!

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:29 pm
by dustakr
Hello,
I like to join in as one of investigator, I am almost ready with my character with some details missing about getting additional two weapon skills but added details with some google search..

Player: dustaker
Name: Spurius Papirius Valens
Current Residence: City Entrance, Cavalry outpost
Birthplace: Unknown

Stats:
STR: 11
CON: 9
SIZ: 14
DEX: 11
APP: 10
INT: 11
POW: 8
EDU: 11 [11+1 =12]

Idea: INT x 5 (Idea – 55),
Luck: POW x 5 (Luck - 40 ),
Know: EDU x 5 (Know – 60)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table +1d4
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up) 9+14 =23/2=12
Maximum Magic Points: POW 8
Starting Sanity: POW x 5 = 40

Background :

Spurius still remembers vaguely entering gates of Rome with his parents he was much younger to notice difference between moving to other town and living there, he remembered towering horses carrying the soldiers in shining armour, he spent all his childhood admiring roman armies and soldiers, even though his family settled in Rome as farmers serving roman republic, Spurius took first chance he got to recruit himself in roman army, ranking at one of the outpost near entrance to city.
//
Its been 3 weeks cavalry has been sent to patrol outside in the wilderness for little to no reason of capturing 5 trade slaves, who escaped from their caravan masters. Capture mission was not so successful as we managed to recover two very thin looking slaves, they were lying on ground all tired from running and begging for water. other two slaves were captured by cavalry from other outpost Claiming half of our reward from caravan masters ..other cavalry also accomplished in finding last slave who managed to run away complete three miles distance before getting spotted and put down by an archer.
//
Hope this time around there's not much of work in city ...have missed lot of things while joining in roman army and running with cavalry all over kingdom.
Spoiler:
SkIlls;

Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 22
Drive (20%): 50
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 60
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%): 45
Ride Horse (05%): 75

Science (01%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%): 40
Status (15%): 40

Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%): 36
Throw (25%):
Track (10%): 40

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%): 45
.long sword : [60]
.heavy lance : [50]

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Ritterton, I noticed that the base skill for Pilum in melee combat is 15%; it is only 10% when thrown. This makes your Pilum skill 80% in hand to hand combat. Also, your Republic skill was already 55%, so the +5 raises it to 60. You're good to go at this point.

Welcome, Dustakr! You'll need to make some alterations to your skill point spending. EDU 12 gives you 240 occupational skill points, and INT 11 gives you 110 hobby skill points. Your occupational skills are Drive, Republic, Ride, Status, Tactics, Throw, and your two weapon skills. Tactics has a base score of 25% when it's an occupational skill, so you save some skill points there. Long sword has a base skill of 20%, and long spear (which you'd use for your lance) has a base skill of 15%. You've spent a total of 261 points on your occupational skills even when taking into account the higher base skill for Tactics, but 21 of those could have come from your hobby skill points. You've only spent 35 other hobby skill points (on Spot Hidden and Knife), which accounts for a total of 56 of them. You still have 54 hobby skill points that you may spend on any skills you wish (except for Cthulhu Mythos).

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 am
by Ritterton
[quote="Mr. Handy"]Ritterton, I noticed that the base skill for Pilum in melee combat is 15%; it is only 10% when thrown. This makes your Pilum skill 80% in hand to hand combat. Also, your Republic skill was already 55%, so the +5 raises it to 60. You're good to go at this point. [quote]

So can I use the throw skill for the Pilum? and 60% Republic makes sense...

Welcome Dusktakr!

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's how it works. Of course, you don't have the pilum on you right now, as it's not legal to bear it (or other weapons) within the city limits, and it's not so easy to conceal something that size. Also, once you throw it, you'd have to retrieve it before you could use it again.

EDIT: Actually, you can instead use your pilum skill (at -5, so at 75%) to throw your pilum. Your Throw skill, however, could be used to throw anything.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:34 am
by dustakr
I have made use of hobby skill points.
Spoiler:
Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Drive (20%): 50
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 50
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
Other Language (01%):
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%): 45

Science (01%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 40
Status (25%): 40
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%): 36
Throw (25%):
Track (10%): 40

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
.Kick (25%): 45
.Knife (25%): 45
Long sword (20%): 60
Heavy lance (15%) : 50

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse
Thank you for welcome, Ritterton, Mr. Handy.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:46 am
by Ritterton
Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, that's how it works. Of course, you don't have the pilum on you right now, as it's not legal to bear it (or other weapons) within the city limits, and it's not so easy to conceal something that size. Also, once you throw it, you'd have to retrieve it before you could use it again.

EDIT: Actually, you can instead use your pilum skill (at -5, so at 75%) to throw your pilum. Your Throw skill, however, could be used to throw anything.
Ok, perfect! Thanks for the explanation.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:59 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome.

It looks like you still have 9 hobby points to spend, Dustakr.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:50 pm
by dustakr
Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome.

It looks like you still have 9 hobby points to spend, Dustakr.
Spoiler:
I am using my skill point as below now, and values in brackets are how I tally against occupational points and hobby points..
Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Drive (20%): 50 [-30]
.Listen (25%): 50 [-25]
Republic (25%): 30 [-5]
[-70]

.Spot Hidden (25%): 50 [-25]
Status (25%): 30 [-5]
Tactics (01%): 41 [-40]
.Throw (25%): 50 [-25]
Track (10%): 40 [-30]

numbers in blue adds up to : 245, that's + 5 from hobby points
and hobby points adds up to : 105

Hand-to-Hand:
.Kick (25%): 45 [-15]
.Knife (25%): 45 [-15]
Long sword (20%): 50 [-30]
[-35]

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Status has a base skill of only 15%, and Tactics has a base skill of 25% since it's one of your occupational skills. Now you've spent only 231 occupational skills, leaving you with 9 more. You've actually spent 20 hobby points each on Kick and Knife, which means you've now spent 115 hobby points, overspending by 5.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 am
by dustakr
Mr. Handy wrote:Status has a base skill of only 15%, and Tactics has a base skill of 25% since it's one of your occupational skills. Now you've spent only 231 occupational skills, leaving you with 9 more. You've actually spent 20 hobby points each on Kick and Knife, which means you've now spent 115 hobby points, overspending by 5.
Spoiler:
I am using my skill point as below now,
Drive (20%): 50 [-30]
.Listen (25%): 50 [-25]
Republic (25%): 35 [-10]
[-70]

.Spot Hidden (25%): 50 [-25]
Status (15%): 35 [-20]
Tactics (25%): 40 [-15]
.Throw (25%): 55 [-30]
Track (10%): 40 [-30]

numbers in blue adds up to : 240,
and hobby points adds up to : 110

Removed one hobby skill.

Hand-to-Hand:
.Knife (25%): 55 [-30]
Long sword (20%): 50 [-30]
[-35]

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Great, all of the numbers add up and you're all set! Please read the In Character thread called "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" if you haven't already. Once you catch up, you may post as your character whenever you're ready. It's assumed you were in the Forum the whole time. Note that you can only read IC threads if your character is in them until the adventure is over, with the singular exception of Introduction. This means that you cannot read the thread called "All Roads Lead to Rome." Welcome aboard, and have fun!

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:11 am
by DrkRoxas
Name: Vyse Gilder
Birthplace: Florence
Residence: Rome

Stats Rolls: http://orokos.com/roll/416438 STR = 7; CON = 9; POW = 14; DEX = 15; APP = 9;
SIZE AND INT: http://orokos.com/roll/416439 SIZ = 14; INT = 16
EDU: http://orokos.com/roll/416440 EDU = 16
Income: http://orokos.com/roll/416441 3 x 50 sesterii = 150 sesterii.
Age = 24 (No plus to EDU, minimum of 22)
Idea = 16 x 5 = 80
Luck = 14 x 5 = 70
Know = 16 x 5 = 80
Damage Bonus = Str + Siz = 21; from table, Damage Bonus = +0
Max HP = Con + Siz = 23, 23/2 =11.5 rounded to 12
Max MP = Pow = 14
Starting Sanity = 14 x 5 = 70
Occupational Skill Points = 20 x 16 = 320 (Occupational skills: Climb, Conceal, Fast Talk, Hide, Jump, Throw, Track and Listen)
Hobbies Skill Points = 10 x 16 = 160

Modified Skillset:
(Professional Skills (x), Hobbies (xx).
Accounting (10%):
Animal Handling (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
(x) Conceal (15%): 75
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 30
Drive (20%):
Republic (25%):
(x) Fast Talk (05%): 80
First Aid (30%):
(x) Hide (10%): 60
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
(x) Jump (25%): 60
Library Use (25%):
(x) Listen (25%): 70
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Kingdom (Roman Republic) (20%):
Own Language (Latin): EDU x 5 = 80
Persuade (15%):
Pilot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Ride Horse (05%):
Science (Augury) (01%):
(xx) Sneak (10%): 70
(xx) Spot Hidden (25%): 75
Status (15%):
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%):
(x) Throw (25%): 70
(x) Track (10%): 70

Personal Information and Background:
Vyse was born in the slums of Florence, his parents died when he was just 12 years old, which made him resort to pickpocketing and stealing to get through his days. However, he still had good and humble family values from the time his parents were alive, so he didn't completely go down the path of a criminal, he's more of a businessman who uses deceitful ways and his great conversational skills to gain advantage and obtain what he wants, which paired with his great dexterity and sleight of hand, makes him an artist of the streets.

He often steals items like jewelry from high class people, in order to sell them afterwards, however, he's not in this for the money, he craves the danger and feeling of excitement. He faces chronic depression when he finds that everything's too easy for him and therefore seeks thrill and adventures without any consent for his safety.

Appearance:
Vyse is a man of about 1.75 meters tall, scarlet hair and thin features, he has a scar on his left shoulder from a shiv wound and three bite marks on his right leg from a time he had to escape a pack of security hounds.
He often dresses in a trench coat and some hat, mostly in black, however, he always carries one red item on him, be it a glove, wristband, handkerchief, etc.

Is this okay? Thanks again!

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy
Your character looks great, and all of the numbers add up correctly, as you've put your extra 50 hobby points into professional skills. This is ancient Rome, however, so I don't believe trench coats existed at that time. I don't think Florence did either, or at least it wasn't known by that name. Your character's name also isn't exactly Roman, but I suppose it could be a nickname.

I have a good way to bring you into the story, but I'll need to add a little bit to your background. You got caught once trying to steal jewelry from some weatlhy Egyptians in Rome as part of Cleopatra's entourage. Instead of turning you in to the authorities, Cleopatra's servant, a woman named Nefertiri, made a deal with you and told you that she might require you to do work for her at some later time.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:19 am
by DrkRoxas
Oh, my bad, I accidentally used my appearance from past campaigns, I don't really know much about how people dressed in ancient Rome, so a bit of help there would be nice, I was thinking about the name Andrea Balestrini, I forgot about it when writing my character and also used his name from my other campaign, I'm sorry.

I like the addition to the backstory, if the name's good like this, I'm good to go! :)

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay. In ancient Rome, people generally wore togas. Tunics were also a possibility, especially among the lower classes, which your character would definitely be. Andrea Balestrini is also more of medieval or modern Italian name than an ancient Roman name. There used to be a free download on Chaosium's website showing how ancient Roman names were constructed and giving lists of sample names for each part, but it no longer appears to be available, and I can't find it on my hard drive. However, Wikipedia has an article explaining it.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:27 am
by DrkRoxas
What about Marcus Sabini or Remus Maximi?

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:51 pm
by DrPeterson
Here's a bunch of lower class Romans and the seedier elements of society at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5xrPWNZjA[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5xrPWNZjA

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Marcus and Remus are both valid first names, but ancient Roman men's family names tend to end in -us. Ending in -i occurs in later Italian names. Sabinus or Maximus are both actual Roman names.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:19 am
by DrkRoxas
Marcus is fine then, you can give me whatever last name you prefer, given the lore you're giving me :)

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll go with Marcus Sabinus, since that is close to one of the names you gave. Your thread is now up, and you can post here whenever you are ready to start.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
I just remembered something else about Roman clothing. There is a hooded woolen cloak, usually brown, called a cucullus. It's just the thing you might want to wear over your usual outfit when you want to be sneaky.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:36 am
by DrkRoxas
I already posted, I'm ready to roll! (Pun intended lol)