Character Creation/Rules

Rome, 44 BC: The long and bloody civil war is over, and Julius Caesar has emerged triumphant as the undisputed ruler of Rome. The Republic appears to have been saved, but all is not right. Dark schemes and intrigues abound, and unimaginable horror lurks behind the scenes. The Time Lord and his companions, along with various people living in Rome, are caught up in the middle of it all. Can they unravel the mystery before chaos consumes everything?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Cthulhu Invictus, the fourth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, and The Shadow Over Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Character Creation/Rules

Post by Mr. Handy »

The following rules are for character creation for new characters from 44 BC (use the Cthulhu Invictus character sheet, modified as detailed below):
  • Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
  • Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
  • Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
  • Personal wealth is based upon occupation.
You can use Invisible Castle to make your rolls, both for character creation and in the game. You'd need to register and log in there in order to make entries in the Note section describing what you're rolling, but it's free. However, Invisible Castle's registration of new users hasn't worked in years. You can still use it even without being logged in, however. Be sure to use the same spelling for your character's name consistently to make it easier to look up old rolls. Alternatively, you can use the board's built-in dice roller (the instructions are here), or a different online dice roller such as orokos.com.

Those are the only rolls you need to make for character creation. You are free to distribute the 3d6 rolls amongst the five stats that are rolled on 3d6, as well as to choose which 2d6+6 roll goes to SIZ and which to INT. EDU can be raised by making your character older. If you're still not satisfied with your rolls, let me know and we'll work something out. If your rolls are abnormally low, I may permit a reroll of the entire set.

You'll also need to decide on your character's age. The minimum age allowed is EDU+6, but you can always choose to make your character older. For every 10 full years above the minimum, you get +1 to your EDU (which also gets you an extra 20 occupational skill points). However, for every full 10 years above 40 (i.e., starting at age 50), you must reduce one of the following stats by 1: STR, CON, DEX, or APP.

Your character has the following derived stats:
Idea: INT x 5
Luck: POW x 5
Know: EDU x 5 (maximum of 99)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table
  • 12 or less: -1d6
  • 13-16: -1d4
  • 17-24: +0
  • 25-32: +1d4
  • 33 or more: +1d6
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up)
Maximum Magic Points: POW
Starting Sanity: POW x 5

You get 20 x EDU occupational skill points that can only be used to increase skills for your chosen profession. You also get 10 x INT hobby skill points that can be spent to increase any skills (even the ones for your occupation if you really want). The only skill that cannot be raised is Cthulhu Mythos, which always starts at 0%. The other skills have base levels of 1% or higher, and the points you spend add to those base levels. To see the list of skills and their starting levels, see Lucius Verres's character sheet in the Character Sheets thread. It is identical to the standard Cthulhu Invictus character sheet (6th edition), but with a few modifications to make it comparable to characters from other eras:
  • Empire skill has been replaced by Republic, as Rome is still a Republic (sort of) at this point in history
  • The base skill for Climb is 40%, and the base skill for Library Use is 25%, as with characters from the more traditional eras. The History skill has likewise been added to the Invictus sheet with a base level of 20%.
  • The Insight skill is the ancient equivalent of the Psychology skill, Natural World corresponds to Natural History, Potions replaces Pharmacy , Repair/Devise is Mechanical Repair, Status replaces Credit Rating, and the Science subskills are Architecture, Astrology, Augury, Engineering, Geography, Mathematics, Metallurgy, and Philosophy/Religion.
  • The Own Kingdom skill is for your character's homeland (often the Roman Republic, which encompasses a lot of territory, though it is not actually a "kingdom"). Other Kingdom can be taken multiple times, once for each land as a subskill, much like sciences.
  • There aren't separate skills for reading and writing languages. You just need one skill for each language.
Check the "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" thread (when I post it) for possible character concepts and lists of occupational skills. If you have something else in mind, let me know your character concept and I can give you a suitable list of occupational skills. The occupational skills for many professions are also listed in the Cthulhu Invictus rulebook, if you have it. Some of these lists allow you to choose one or two of your occupational skills. Just make sure it's within reason for your chosen occupation.

I won't be imposing a cap for starting skills, but you should justify any exceptionally high skills you have in your character background. 75% in a skill means that you're an expert. 90% means that you're one of the best in the world. Spend all your skill points during character creation, as they're of no use once the game is underway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by DrPeterson »

Player: DrPeterson
Name: Tiberius Tullius Germanicus
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Mansion on the Palatine Hill, Estate in the country
Birthplace: Rome, 90 BCE
Home Era: Late Roman Republic

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 11
SIZ: 12
DEX: 9
APP: 11
INT: 12 (Idea - 60)
POW: 16 (Luck - 80 )
EDU: 16 ( 14+2 for age) (Know - 80)

Sanity: 80
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 16
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Appearance:

Germanicus bears himself with the majesty of his station and always strives to look his best in public. His senatorial toga always neatly folded when he goes out and his hear cropped in the style of the Legions. He bears scars from his days in service, though his face is unscathed.

He is a lean man with pale, impassive eyes and a strong face, belying his noble birth and station. His body is still strong for his age and he exercises regularly to keep it thus. His hair is fairer than that of most Romans, one of the facts contributing to his cognomen.

Personality:

Tiberius Tullius Germanicus is a severe, but just man who values the hierarchy of society and the power and order of Rome above all. He strongly disapproves of the corruption with which the Republic is rife and is convinced Rome needs a strong man to lead her out of this cesspit.

He is practically inclined and is still an army man at heart. He will value skill above title, but will always give preference to what is best for the Republic. Although he is a capable administrator and politician, he yearns for the simplicity and hardship of the field and his young days campaigning with the Legions. It is with those of military skill and reputation that he will relax most.

Although a staunch Republican, he supports Gaius Julius Caesar's bid for power and has pleaded on his behalf in the Senate.

Germanicus spends his free time gardening, reading, attending public spectacles and supporting the Red Team at the races.
Despite his proclivity for horse races, he is no great horseman and distrusts the beasts.

Background:

Born in Rome, Tiberius Tullius grew up amid the politics that were his father's trade. He was brought up to follow the Cursus Honorum and spent most of his time as a military tribune in Gallia Transalpina, especially on the border with Germania Inferior. It was during a particularly daring raid into German territory that he earned his cognomen and befriended Marcus Antonius with whom he shared command of the mission.
Upon the death of Tiberius Tullius Lepidus, Germanicus returned to Rome to inherit his father's estates and ascend through the ranks of politics.

He is married to Aemilia Scipionis with whom he had two children, a son Tiberius Tullius and a daughter Tullia Germanica. Marcus Tullius Germanicus died serving the Legions in Iudea and Tullia married Publius Licinius Crassus, the son of Marcus Crassus, with whom she had a daughter, Licinia. After the death of her husband, Tullia and her daughter returned to the home of her parents.

Germanicus is a cousin of Marcus Tullius Cicero, the two are friendly despite their political differences.

Germanicus is a member of the Populares party and the Equestrian order.

Relations with other characters:

Claudius Marcius:
Germanicus took Claudius into his household after the latter accidentally thwarted an assassination attempt. He was begging in the streets and obstructed the knifemen long enough for Germanicus's lictors to notice them. With the surprise undone, the axebearers made short work of the senator's assailants.

A second instance led Germanicus to believe that Claudius was send by the gods as a sort divine protector. Whilst visiting the stables at the Circus Maximus, several of the horses broke loose and would have trampled the senator, were it not that the surprise appearance of the wretched creature scared off the horse and made it run in another direction.

Skills:,(Non-default skills BOLD,Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *) Accounting (10%): Animal Handling (10%): Art (05%): Bargain (05%): [b][i]Civics (10%): 60%[/i][/b] Climb (40%): Conceal (15%): Craft (05%): Cthulhu Mythos (00%): [b].Dodge (DEX x 2): 30%[/b] Drive (20%): [i][b]Republic (25%): 60%[/b][/i] Fast Talk (05%): First Aid (30%): Hide (10%): History (20%): Insight (05%): Jump (25%): [b][i]Library Use (25%): 50%[/i][/b] Listen (25%): Medicine (05%): [b].Natural World (10%): 30%[/b] Navigate (10%): Occult (05%): [i][b]Other Kingdoms (01%): Gaul 25%[/b][/i] [i][b]Other Kingdoms (01%): Germania 20%[/b][/i] [b][i]Other Language (01%): Greek 40%[/i][/b] [b][i]Other Language (01%): Germanic 15%[/i][/b] [b][i]Other Language (01%): Celtic 15%[/i][/b] Own Kingdom (20%): [b]Own Language (Latin): 80%[/b] [i][b]Persuade (15%): 60%[/b][/i] Pilot Boat (01%): Potions (01%): Repair/Devise (20%): Ride Horse (05%): Science (01%): Sneak (10%): Spot Hidden (25%): [i][b]Status (15%): 70%[/b][/i] Swim (25%): [b].Tactics (01%): 40%[/b][color=#FF0000]*[/color] Track (10%): Hand-to-Hand: Fist/Punch (50%): Grapple (25%): Head Butt (10%): Kick (25%): Knife(25%): [b].Short Sword (15%): 64%[/b]

Inventory:
Officer's gladius (1d6+1+1d4), Leather and scale armour with the Roman eagle emblazoned (Protection 6),

Fully equipped and staffed mansion in Rome with a decent library focussing on military topics as well as herbology,
Estate in the country,
Property and assets worth over a million sesterce, mainly invested in grain and olive production, as well as tenements in the Subura.
Ready money: 2100 Sestertii
Last edited by DrPeterson on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 15 times in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Player: CrackheadC.
Name: Titus Iunius Philo
Current Residence: Rome
Colleges, Degrees: N/A
Birthplace: Rome, 79BCE
Home Era: Late Roman Republic

Characteristics:
STR: 6
CON: 14
SIZ: 12
DEX: 6
APP: 7
INT: 12 (Idea - 60)
POW: 13 (Luck - 65 )
EDU: 20 (19+1 for age) (Know - 99)

Sanity: 65
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: 0

Appearance
Titus is a rough looking middle-aged man with mid-length auburn hair and an unkempt beard. He typically wears a graying old toga with a dark red over cloak.

Background:
Titus didn't have much going for him as the seventh child in his family - not likely to take over the head of household, not expected to work in the family business or join the military. Had his father not received signs to do otherwise at their home's shrine, he would have left Titus to the elements. It was a wise decision. Ever since he was a child Titus has had visions of the future, an ability that his family took advantage of. As he got older and became more of his own man Titus began to offer his services to other high-ranking families and close personal friends.

Skills:,(Non-default skills BOLD,Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *) Accounting (10%): Animal Handling (10%): Art (05%): Bargain (05%): Civics (10%): Climb (40%): Conceal (15%): Craft (05%): Cthulhu Mythos (00%): [b]Dodge (DEX x 2): 12%[/b] Drive (20%): Republic (25%): Fast Talk (05%): [b].First Aid (30%): 60%[/b] Hide (10%): History (20%): [b][i]Insight (05%): 75%[/i][/b] Jump (25%): [b][i]Library Use (25%): 75%[/i][/b] Listen (25%): [b][i]Medicine (05%): 40%[/i][/b] [b][i]Natural World (10%): 75%[/i][/b] Navigate (10%): [b][i]Occult (05%): 75%[/i][/b] Other Kingdoms (01%): Other Language (01%): Own Kingdom (Roman Republic) (20%): Own Language (Latin): 99% [b].Persuade (15%): 60%[/b] Pilot Boat (01%): [b][i]Potions (01%): 37%[/i][/b] Repair/Devise (20%): Ride Horse (05%): [b][i]Science (Augury) (01%): 75%[/i][/b] Sneak (10%): Spot Hidden (25%): [b].Status (15%): 60%[/b] Swim (25%): Tactics (01%): Track (10%):
Money: 9 Sesterii

Inventory:
Small Knife
Simple Toga
Gallium (overcloak)
Sandals
Small Leather Satchel

Spells:
Augury,Range: N/A • Duration: Instantaneous • Cost: 1 MP • Sanity: 1D3 • Resistance: No This spell allows Roman augurs to predict the future. Before casting this spell, the auger must determine what form of augury (ex caelo, ex avibus, ex tripudiis, ex quadrupedibus, or ex diris) is most appropriate. He then must carry out the ritual by making a Science (Augury) skill check. If successful, the augur receives a vague glimpse of the future. These can often be interpreted in multiple ways. For example, an augur trying to predict the outcome of a major battle between the Legion and a Celtic tribe might glimpse a vision of battered and bloody centurions returning to Rome. That could be interpreted to mean that the Legions will lose and limp back home, or, on the other hand might be seen as a portent that victory will be hard-fought. A successful Know roll might help an augur understand an uncertain vision. This spell is only usable once a week. If the augur sees a creature or event that would result in Sanity loss under normal circumstances, he loses the same amount that he would have lost in a face-to-face encounter
Rolls from Orokos:,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/310005]STR,CON, POW, DEX, and APP[/url]: [u]5#3d6[/u] [b]7[/b] [b]14[/b] [b]13[/b] [b]6[/b] [b]6[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/310006]2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT[/url]: [u]2#2d6+6[/u] [b]12[/b] [b]12[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/310008]3d6+3 for EDU[/url]: [u]3d6+3[/u] [b]19[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/310014]Augur money roll (1d3-1 x 100)[/url]: [u]1d3-1[/u] [b]0[/b]
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Supercape »

Work in progress too!

I hope DrPeterson will agree to having Claudius as his nasty servant (let me know otherwise).

Rolls
Spoiler:
[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4833526/]3d6,3d6,2d6+6,2d6+6,3d6,3d6,3d6,3d6+3=[1, 1, 1], [5, 3, 3], [2, 2, 6], [5, 1, 6], [5, 2, 4], [3, 3, 4], [2, 3, 2], [2, 3, 6, 3]
Player: Supercape
Name: Claudius Marcius
Current Residence: Wherever Tiberius goes
Birthplace: Abandoned in a sewer in Rome

STR 11
CON 11
SIZ 12
INT 10
POW 11
DEX 10
APP 3
EDU 12 (10+2 Age)

Sanity: 55
Phobias/Mental Disorders:
Hit Points 12
Magic Points 11
Damage Bonus: 0

Background

Claudius was born deformed. He has a misshapen, lopsided face with wide protruding eyes and a horribly crooked nose. We walks with a limp and has a speech impediment. Whilst hardly bright, he is not as feeble minded as people might first think. Abandoned at birth, he was taken in by a powerful family as a "charity case". Which meant he got to live, and everyone else got to order him around, laugh and taunt him, and beat or whip him. Fair deal, in his eyes. His truest friend is his pet cat called "Scratch", the scourge of the kitchen rodent.

Personality

Claudius has been bullied and beaten all his life, and curses the Gods for leaving his so deformed. He is a nasty piece of work, but slavishly loyal to his master who at least keeps him fed and watered, and doesn't whip him so often. He has learned to defer to power, and is extremely astute to any potential whippings or beatings. Whilst he is a ghastly, cruel, and violent man when he gets the chance (he will slip a knife in your back rather than have a straight up fight), he literally worships anyone who shows him kindness.

Skills

NB: I am going to suggest his occupation skills are: Animal Handling, Craft, Listen, Spot Hidden, Hide, Sneak, Insight (he is a sneaky dogsbody who does all the dirty jobs and does his best to stay out of sight in case he gets whipped just for showing his face).
Spoiler:
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%): 20%
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
.Conceal (15%): 50%
Craft [Carpentry] (05%):15%
Craft [Cooking] (05%): 15%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 35%
Drive Horses (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
Hide:(10%) 80%
History (20%):
Insight (05%): 35%
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%): 50%
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 50%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%):
Ride Horse (05%):
Science (01%):
Sneak (10%): 80%
Spot Hidden (25%): 40%
Status (15%):
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
.Knife(25%): 75%
Short Sword (15%):
Equipment: Butchers Knife on his belt (1D6), Concealed small blade tucked away (1D4), Rags, Cooking Herbs, Salt.
Last edited by Supercape on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ack! :oops: I'm so sorry. I accidentally edited your post instead of adding a new post, Dr. Peterson, and I'm not sure how to recover what you had before. I'll ask on the Staff Forum if there's a way. I had had it open in the edit window trying to view the contents of the spoiler button. I hope you have a backup saved or can reconstruct the sheet. I remember that you had 2100 sesterces as starting money, Civics ??%, Republic 55%, Fast Talk 05%, Library Use 50%, Other Kingdom: Gallia ?? and Other Kingdom: Germania ??, Other Language: Greek 40%, Other Language: Germanic 19%, Persuade 65%, Status 70% for your occupational skills, and Dodge 25%, Natural World 38%, Tactics 40% and Short Sword 60% for hobby skills. You had DEX 9, INT 12, POW 16, EDU 16 (including +2 from age), APP 11, SIZ 12, CON 11 (I may have those last two switched), and (I think) STR 15.

Tiberius Tullius Germanicus: I can't open the spoiler button with the stat rolls because there's an apostrophe in the caption. For some reason, the Spoiler-Button tag doesn't work right when you have one. At age 42 in 44 BC, you'd have been born in 86 or 87 BC, depending on your birthday. The introduction took place in 48 BC, but the main story takes place a few years later. You have 12 HP, not 11 (the average of CON and SIZ is rounded up). You've only spent 310 occupational skill points out of 320, so go ahead and add 10 points to one or more occupational skills. You've also spent 119 out of 120 hobby skill points (the first point of Tactics, or any skill with a base level of 01%, is free), so you can add that extra skill point to any skill. Otherwise, everything looks great! And go Reds!

Titus Ionius Philo: Like all skills, Own Language has a maximum of 99%. Everything else is perfect, and an augur will fit right in. Yes, you can start with the Augury spell. In fact, before I'd read in the Invictus rulebook that it was an option, I was planning to have the Augury spell take effect when you performed an augury. The minimum starting money for an augur is 100 sesterii, even when you roll a 0.

Claudius Marcius: Your EDU as you rolled it was actually 14 (which can be further increased through age), and one of your 3d6 rolls was a 7 (the others were 3, 11, 11, and 10), so you will probably want to adjust your character sheet and spend extra skill points accordingly. The actual occupational skill list for a generic slave is Civics, Craft, Republic (replaces Empire), Insight, Natural World, and three other skills of your choice, but you can use your suggested list instead. A large kitchen knife would do 1d6 damage (and should also be concealed when you're out in the streets of Rome, though probably not as well as the smaller knife). Also, please roll 1d10 to see how many sesterii you have at the start.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Don't worry, I have it all written down at home.

See you all in a week'
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's a relief! I had been trying desperately to find a way to get the post back. I remembered a lot of your stats and skills, but it's also very important that the background information is preserved. I recalled a few more things (I believe STR was actually 14, Other Kingdom: Gallia was 25%, Other Kingdom: Germania was 20%, and Civics was 55% or 60%; Repulibc might have been 60% rather than 55%), but thankfully it won't be needed since you have it written down. The numbers I remembered didn't quite add up to the total I had calculated, however. What had happened was that I thought I had hit Quote, but I had hit Edit instead.

Enjoy your trip!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Name: Caelia Alba
Sex: Female
Current Residence: Rome
Birthplace: Rome
Home Era: 40 BC

Characteristics:
STR: 9

CON: 11
SIZ: 9
DEX: 14
APP: 17
INT: 17 (Idea - 85)
POW: 15 (Luck - 75)
EDU: 16 (Know - 80)

Sanity: 75
Phobias/Mental Disorders:
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 15
Damage Bonus: +0

Background: Father is Caelius Albus Graecus, physician to the richest and most influential people in Rome. He is held in the highest regard for his skills and knowledge. Caelia learnt her skills at her father's side and travelled widely with him especially to Greece and Egypt to study medicine. She was married briefly to a centurion who died in battle and she now works with her father. She has a son who is away in Greece. She has good connections with the priestesses at the temple of Bona Dea, The Good Goddess. Caelia is well respected amongst the medical fraternity, not only because of her father, but also in her own right as a skilful herbalist and medical researcher. Because of her sex, she is generally called on only by female clients and broad-minded men. She has a villa outside Rome that was her husband's and she studies there in the heat of the summer.

Skills:
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%): 25%
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 28
Drive (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%): 70%
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%): 45%
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%): 45%
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%): 65%
Natural World (10%): 40%
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%): 15%
Other Kingdoms Aegyptus (01%): 21%
Own Kingdom (20%):
Other Language (01%): Greek 41% Egyptian 41%
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 80%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%): 41%
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic(25%): 45%
Ride Horse (05%):
Religion(01%): 31%
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%): 35%
Status (15%): 70%
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%): 45%
Burning Torch (10%):

Equipment:
Clothes, herbs, scalpels, linen (in a medical bag??)
Sesterii: 400
Last edited by aine on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 am, edited 9 times in total.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Mr. Handy wrote:
Claudius Marcius: Your EDU as you rolled it was actually 14 (which can be further increased through age), and one of your 3d6 rolls was a 7 (the others were 3, 11, 11, and 10), so you will probably want to adjust your character sheet and spend extra skill points accordingly. The actual occupational skill list for a generic slave is Civics, Craft, Republic (replaces Empire), Insight, Natural World, and three other skills of your choice, but you can use your suggested list instead. A large kitchen knife would do 1d6 damage (and should also be concealed when you're out in the streets of Rome, though probably not as well as the smaller knife). Also, please roll 1d10 to see how many sesterii you have at the start.
Cool. I was under the impression that I could swap out EDU and something else (As both rolled on 3d6), and then add +3 to EDU. Honestly, Claudius rolls' were pretty low (he is below average overall, without a single attribute being above average) so I am going to play him as a pretty incompetent person. I would prefer to have his EDU lower, he is gutter guy, without any education. That said, I made a booboo anyway, it should have been a 7 EDU, +3, for a base EDU of 10 rather than 9 (and a total EDU of 11). I have adujusted his EDU up to 12, and shuffled a few skills (dropped his potions skill, and made him a really good sneaker, I hope this is ok. Its basically the one thing he does well...lurk...)

If you cant swap EDU rolls, let me know and Ill bump his EDU up to 10+3+2=15, and drop his DEX to 7 (and shuffle some skills again).

If I can keep the characters skills I would prefer to. The slave list doesn't really fit my concept of an ignorant servant.

Ill just say he hasn't got a coin to his name if that's ok?

Still looking for another player to have Claudius as a deformed stupid henchman...any takers? ;) (I'm looking first at DrPeterson!)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, all of that is fine. I'll examine the new character sheet when I have time, possibly tomorrow night.

All of the character concepts are great and will fit well into the story!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

As Caelia is connected to a temple I put some points into occult and religion but might they be the same thing? Or maybe another religion such as Greek/Egyptian? what was occult for Romans?! I copied Lucius' sheet and so have the civics skill; is this government and politics and do you think Caelia would have points in this as she is is kind of in those circles - senators wives' coffee mornings etc, or not? Also, she has been to Greece and Egypt, are they part of the Empire or does she need other Kingdom points to reflect her time there?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Philosophy/Religion is one of the Science subskills. It is distinct from Occult, though there will be some overlap. Science(Philosophy/Religion) covers the classic Greek philosophies of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and the like, or a particular school of philosophy such as Stoicism. The Religion part covers the tenets of a religion as well as raw facts about it and how its practices and ceremonies are conducted. Science(Philosophy/Religion) can be taken multiple times, once for each philosophy or religion you've studied. Occult is knowledge of hidden things, whether or not they are associated with a religion. It also covers magic, which Romans believed in - enough to pass laws forbidding its practice. You won't actually know any spells with Occult, but if you see a magical object or effect, it may clue you in as to something similar you've heard about from legends and mythology.

Civics is useful for all Romans, but especially for someone who interacts with politicians (even moreso if you're a client of Germanicus). It makes sense for you to have points in it. It replaces the Law skill from traditional CoC, but it also covers the workings of government and how to grease the wheels to get things done.

Greece is part of the Republic (not yet the Empire) at this time and is included in the Republic skill, but Egypt is still an independent kingdom ruled by Queen Cleopatra, who is Julius Caesar's mistress, so you would want to put points into Other Kingdom(Aegyptus).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Handy, I'm all set with my character. I didn't write down any of the fighting skills because they are all at default.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Titus Iunius Philo and Claudius Marcius are good to go. I'll add their character sheets to the thread when I have time, probably this weekend.

There are a few corrections needed for Caella Alba. Her occupational skills are First Aid, Insight, Library Use, Medicine, Natural World, Occult, Potions, and Knife. A total of 240 occupational skill points have been spent on seven of these skills (with nothing spent on Knife), out of 320. You've spent an additional 251 skill points on other skills. 80 of them must be the missing occupational skill points, so it seems you've substituted Other Language for Knife as your eighth occupational skill. If that's the case, you've only overspent by one point. You also need to specify what kind of Art you've studied. Presumably you've studied the Roman religion for your Science(Religion) skill, but please let me know if it's a different one.

You have 1d4 times 100 sesterii as your starting money. Please feel free to roll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

FInal note MrHandy, Could Claudius' Status skill be reduced to 05% or even 01%? He is the lowest of the low (or just rename it "Beg for mercy/ Elicit Sympathy" skill...)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Character Creation/Rul

Post by aine »

I can change the skill points if you like: I guessed what skills she might have as I didn't have any resources at the time. She is more of a research kind of doctor: she hasn't spent years on the battlefield patching up centurions - being a girl and all that! The civics extra point was an error - well spotted.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Supercape wrote:FInal note MrHandy, Could Claudius' Status skill be reduced to 05% or even 01%? He is the lowest of the low (or just rename it "Beg for mercy/ Elicit Sympathy" skill...)
Claudius may be the lowest of the low, but he is the property of someone prominent, and his master's name carries some weight. Status should probably stay at 15% (in fact, you'd have justified in spending points there had you wanted).
aine wrote:I can change the skill points if you like: I guessed what skills she might have as I didn't have any resources at the time. She is more of a research kind of doctor: she hasn't spent years on the battlefield patching up centurions - being a girl and all that! The civics extra point was an error - well spotted.
That's fine, and you can keep her skills as they are. You actually guessed very well, picking seven out of eight correctly. I haven't had time to post the occupational skills for the various professions yet, but I should be able to get them posted this weekend. Other Language can be your eighth occupational skill instead of Knife. With 80 occupational and 10 hobby skill points spent on Egyptian and Greek, everything now balances. You just need to roll 1d4 and multiply by 100 to get your starting money.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

All that sucking up to rich clients has paid off:
1d4=4, so 400 sesterii.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I was sick tonight, so I didn't get to finish posting the occupation descriptions. I got about halfway through them, and I'll have to post the rest when I can, as well as other background materials. I'll need to call in sick tomorrow, but since I won't be at work, I may be able to continue then if I recover enough.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Quick hello from Ireland!
Supercape, I don't mind Claudius being Germanicus 's slave, but he does not have a big tolerance for incompetence and holds his reputation high, so you might expect to occasional near-fatal public beating.
If you're OK with that, then so am I.
Germanicus might keep Claudius around as a sort of pet or reverse mirror, I'm sure we'll roll into a fun angle to play.

Return to “The Brotherhood of Death”