Character Creation/Rules

Rome, 44 BC: The long and bloody civil war is over, and Julius Caesar has emerged triumphant as the undisputed ruler of Rome. The Republic appears to have been saved, but all is not right. Dark schemes and intrigues abound, and unimaginable horror lurks behind the scenes. The Time Lord and his companions, along with various people living in Rome, are caught up in the middle of it all. Can they unravel the mystery before chaos consumes everything?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Cthulhu Invictus, the fourth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, and The Shadow Over Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, all of the numbers add up and you're all set! Please read the In Character thread called "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" if you haven't already. Once you catch up, you may post as your character whenever you're ready. It's assumed you were in the Forum the whole time. Note that you can only read IC threads if your character is in them until the adventure is over, with the singular exception of Introduction. This means that you cannot read the thread called "All Roads Lead to Rome." Welcome aboard, and have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by DrkRoxas »

Name: Vyse Gilder
Birthplace: Florence
Residence: Rome

Stats Rolls: http://orokos.com/roll/416438 STR = 7; CON = 9; POW = 14; DEX = 15; APP = 9;
SIZE AND INT: http://orokos.com/roll/416439 SIZ = 14; INT = 16
EDU: http://orokos.com/roll/416440 EDU = 16
Income: http://orokos.com/roll/416441 3 x 50 sesterii = 150 sesterii.
Age = 24 (No plus to EDU, minimum of 22)
Idea = 16 x 5 = 80
Luck = 14 x 5 = 70
Know = 16 x 5 = 80
Damage Bonus = Str + Siz = 21; from table, Damage Bonus = +0
Max HP = Con + Siz = 23, 23/2 =11.5 rounded to 12
Max MP = Pow = 14
Starting Sanity = 14 x 5 = 70
Occupational Skill Points = 20 x 16 = 320 (Occupational skills: Climb, Conceal, Fast Talk, Hide, Jump, Throw, Track and Listen)
Hobbies Skill Points = 10 x 16 = 160

Modified Skillset:
(Professional Skills (x), Hobbies (xx).
Accounting (10%):
Animal Handling (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
(x) Conceal (15%): 75
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 30
Drive (20%):
Republic (25%):
(x) Fast Talk (05%): 80
First Aid (30%):
(x) Hide (10%): 60
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
(x) Jump (25%): 60
Library Use (25%):
(x) Listen (25%): 70
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Kingdom (Roman Republic) (20%):
Own Language (Latin): EDU x 5 = 80
Persuade (15%):
Pilot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Ride Horse (05%):
Science (Augury) (01%):
(xx) Sneak (10%): 70
(xx) Spot Hidden (25%): 75
Status (15%):
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%):
(x) Throw (25%): 70
(x) Track (10%): 70

Personal Information and Background:
Vyse was born in the slums of Florence, his parents died when he was just 12 years old, which made him resort to pickpocketing and stealing to get through his days. However, he still had good and humble family values from the time his parents were alive, so he didn't completely go down the path of a criminal, he's more of a businessman who uses deceitful ways and his great conversational skills to gain advantage and obtain what he wants, which paired with his great dexterity and sleight of hand, makes him an artist of the streets.

He often steals items like jewelry from high class people, in order to sell them afterwards, however, he's not in this for the money, he craves the danger and feeling of excitement. He faces chronic depression when he finds that everything's too easy for him and therefore seeks thrill and adventures without any consent for his safety.

Appearance:
Vyse is a man of about 1.75 meters tall, scarlet hair and thin features, he has a scar on his left shoulder from a shiv wound and three bite marks on his right leg from a time he had to escape a pack of security hounds.
He often dresses in a trench coat and some hat, mostly in black, however, he always carries one red item on him, be it a glove, wristband, handkerchief, etc.

Is this okay? Thanks again!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your character looks great, and all of the numbers add up correctly, as you've put your extra 50 hobby points into professional skills. This is ancient Rome, however, so I don't believe trench coats existed at that time. I don't think Florence did either, or at least it wasn't known by that name. Your character's name also isn't exactly Roman, but I suppose it could be a nickname.

I have a good way to bring you into the story, but I'll need to add a little bit to your background. You got caught once trying to steal jewelry from some weatlhy Egyptians in Rome as part of Cleopatra's entourage. Instead of turning you in to the authorities, Cleopatra's servant, a woman named Nefertiri, made a deal with you and told you that she might require you to do work for her at some later time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by DrkRoxas »

Oh, my bad, I accidentally used my appearance from past campaigns, I don't really know much about how people dressed in ancient Rome, so a bit of help there would be nice, I was thinking about the name Andrea Balestrini, I forgot about it when writing my character and also used his name from my other campaign, I'm sorry.

I like the addition to the backstory, if the name's good like this, I'm good to go! :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay. In ancient Rome, people generally wore togas. Tunics were also a possibility, especially among the lower classes, which your character would definitely be. Andrea Balestrini is also more of medieval or modern Italian name than an ancient Roman name. There used to be a free download on Chaosium's website showing how ancient Roman names were constructed and giving lists of sample names for each part, but it no longer appears to be available, and I can't find it on my hard drive. However, Wikipedia has an article explaining it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by DrkRoxas »

What about Marcus Sabini or Remus Maximi?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Here's a bunch of lower class Romans and the seedier elements of society at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5xrPWNZjA[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5xrPWNZjA
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Marcus and Remus are both valid first names, but ancient Roman men's family names tend to end in -us. Ending in -i occurs in later Italian names. Sabinus or Maximus are both actual Roman names.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by DrkRoxas »

Marcus is fine then, you can give me whatever last name you prefer, given the lore you're giving me :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll go with Marcus Sabinus, since that is close to one of the names you gave. Your thread is now up, and you can post here whenever you are ready to start.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I just remembered something else about Roman clothing. There is a hooded woolen cloak, usually brown, called a cucullus. It's just the thing you might want to wear over your usual outfit when you want to be sneaky.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrkRoxas
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by DrkRoxas »

I already posted, I'm ready to roll! (Pun intended lol)

Return to “The Brotherhood of Death”