Character Creation/Rules

Rome, 44 BC: The long and bloody civil war is over, and Julius Caesar has emerged triumphant as the undisputed ruler of Rome. The Republic appears to have been saved, but all is not right. Dark schemes and intrigues abound, and unimaginable horror lurks behind the scenes. The Time Lord and his companions, along with various people living in Rome, are caught up in the middle of it all. Can they unravel the mystery before chaos consumes everything?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Cthulhu Invictus, the fourth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, and The Shadow Over Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by Grognardsw »

Thanks I'll make those edits this weekend as I'm traveling. But don't let that stop moving ahead on the IC action.
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Grognardsw »

I made the edits to Aricus. He is 39 instead of 38. He had 220 of the 300 Occupational Skill points spent, which has been adjusted. He had 240 of 130 Hobby Skill points spent, which was also adjusted. Thanks.
Spoiler:
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Artemis Gaius Sylvius

Post by Ritterton »

Ok, Sir, let's try this as it goes:
Player: Ritterton
Name: Artemis Gaius Sylvius
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Treveri
Colleges, Degrees: N/A
Birthplace: Treveri
Birthdate: 84 BCE
Home Era: Late Roman Republic
Characteristics:
STR: 12
CON: 10
SIZ: 11
DEX: 9
APP: 8
INT: 14 (Idea - 75)
POW: 4 (Luck - 20 )
EDU: 17 (Know - 85)

Sanity: 20
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: ???
Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 4
Damage Bonus: 0

So, Artemis Gaius Sylvius is a retired Auxiliary having been born in the area of the Treveri and retired as an ala standard bearer (signifier). He learned quickly, retained what he knew, and was able to learn how to read, write and speak Latin. He took his retirement with its citizenship for him and two children in their early adulthood (15ish same age as when he joined an auxiliary unit) and settled back in the area of Treveri, on the west bank of the Rhine. He has established a small inn consisting of two rooms in addition to his own lodging. The inn is being watched by his daughter, Aelia and her older brother, Appius, while Artemis is on this journey.

Skills: (Base + allocation of skill points)
Climb 40 + 20 = 60
Republic 25+30 = 55
Jump 25 + 30 = 55
Ride 05 +60 = 65
Sneak 0 + 52=52
Tactic 0 + 52 = 52
Throw 25+31 =56
weapon skill - Pilium/Short Javelin = 0 + 65= 65

Hobby Skills:

Latin 01 + 50= 51
Treveri = edu
Own Kingdom
History - 20 + 20 = 40
Bargain - +25
Potions - +25
First Aid - 30+ 20 = 50
civics - 10+20 = 30
Status = 0 + 30

RAW STUFF BELOW - HELP IF I DID ANYTHING WRONG..Using 7th edu base numbers for skills above

4#3d6: 4 # 12 [3d6=4, 4, 4] 10 [3d6=3, 4, 3] 4 [3d6=2, 1, 1] 9 [3d6=6, 1, 2]
Well the second roll on orokos.com was worse..lol...so...oh flip...missed one needed to roll 5#3d6 ok let's add this one Results 3d6: 8 [3d6=1, 2, 5]

Str - 12
Con - 10
Pow- 4
Dex - 9
App - 8

2#2d6+6 2#2d6+6: 2 # 14 [2d6=2, 6] 11 [2d6=4, 1]

Int - 14
Siz - 11

1#3d6+3 Results 3d6+3: 17 [3d6=5, 3, 6]

Edu 17

Idea - 70
Luck - 20
Know - 85

Auxiliary: A provincial or foreign soldier serving in the military of the Republic of Rome
Skills: Climb, Republic (substituted for Empire), Jump, Ride, Sneak, Tactics, Throw, and one weapon skill of your choice.
Money: 1D3 x 100 sesteriiResults 1d3x100: 1 [1d3x100=3]

plus weapons and armor
Attachments
ArtemisGaiusSylvius.pdf
7thEd Auto Calc Sheet I used
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks good! He'll need a few modifications before he's ready. The 7th edition sheet has some differences from Cthulhu Invictus, which is based on 6th edition, but there are some special differences unique to this scenario. Lucius Verres's character sheet is a good guide to use to see how it's done in this campaign. Here are the needed changes:
  • Idea score is 70, not 75
  • Maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. For a new character, Cthulhu Mythos is always 0, so this is 99.
  • Some of the base skill levels you've listed are different. Sneak has a base skill of 10%, Tactics has a base skill of 1% normally, but characters with Tactics as an occupational skill (such as yours) have a base skill of 25%. Pilum has a base skill of 10%. You may leave these extra points in the relevant skills, or you may redistribute them among other occupational skills.
  • Bargain has a a base skill of 5%, Potions has a base skill of 1%, and Status has a base skill of 15%.
  • You've overspent your hobby skill points. You get 140 of them, but you've spent 175 (even with the 15 points you've saved from Status). You will need to deduct 35 points from one or more hobby skills.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Mr. Handy wrote:Looks good! He'll need a few modifications before he's ready. The 7th edition sheet has some differences from Cthulhu Invictus, which is based on 6th edition, but there are some special differences unique to this scenario. Lucius Verres's character sheet is a good guide to use to see how it's done in this campaign. Here are the needed changes:
  • Idea score is 70, not 75
  • Maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. For a new character, Cthulhu Mythos is always 0, so this is 99.
  • Some of the base skill levels you've listed are different. Sneak has a base skill of 10%, Tactics has a base skill of 1% normally, but characters with Tactics as an occupational skill (such as yours) have a base skill of 25%. Pilum has a base skill of 10%. You may leave these extra points in the relevant skills, or you may redistribute them among other occupational skills.
  • Bargain has a a base skill of 5%, Potions has a base skill of 1%, and Status has a base skill of 15%.
  • You've overspent your hobby skill points. You get 140 of them, but you've spent 175 (even with the 15 points you've saved from Status). You will need to deduct 35 points from one or more hobby skills.
Ok, MrH, let me finish this other character I have some work to do on and then I can zero in on this one. I think I may have a few things I need to ask, but I also can work on the shaving of the overspending, sorry about that...should be easy to fix.

Fixed I think...here is the revised character sheet in a text message format
Attachments
ArtemisGaiusSylvius.txt
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Ok, Mr. Handy - did I get the changes right this time? I think I am closer to the format. text file attached

Gaius Sylvius

Player: Ritterton
Current Residence: Treveri, Gallia Belgiza
Birthplace: Region of Treveri, Gallia Belgiza
Born: 84BCE

Characteristics:
STR: 12
CON: 10
SIZ: 11
DEX: 9
APP: 8
INT: 14 (Idea - 70)
POW: 4 (Luck - 20)
EDU: 17 (Know - 85)

Sanity: 20
Phobias/Mental Disorders: ---
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 4
Damage Bonus: +0

Physical description: Bald, dark brown hair, brownish amber eyes, moustache now that he is not in the Legion. Stout, fairly good shape post service. Some scars on arms, hands and back. Wears a small roman eagle shaped ring and also a small, bronze

winged fascinus on a leather strand tucked into his tunic. Carries a military issued dagger that he kept from his service days.

Background: Artemis Gaius Sylvius is a retired Auxiliary having been born in the area of the Treveri and retired as an ala standard bearer (signifier). He learned quickly, retained what he knew, and was able to learn how to read, write and speak Latin. He took his

retirement with its citizenship for him and two children in their early adulthood (15ish same age as when he joined an auxiliary unit) and settled back in the area of Treveri, on the west bank of the Rhine. He has established a small inn consisting of two rooms in

addition to his own lodging. The inn is being watched by his daughter, Aelia and her older brother, Appius, while Artemis is on this journey.

Military- eer included the suppression of the clans that led a Treveri rebellion that was put down by Julius Ceasar - in effect he was fighting against the clans of his birth. His inn is established at a Treveri seat, modern Martberg/Tries-Karden. He is familiar with

some of the veterans and Roman officials in the newly establishe

Beliefs - protection from the evil eye noted below (fascinus) and also a lay practitioner of the Mithriac rites during service as he is comfortable with the duality of light and dark and the struggle between the forces of both.

Prized possessions: Veterans Diplomia; Pugio (dagger) master crafted with an SPQR and Eagle on embossed and leafed hard sheath, a retirement gift from a Roman companion; and, silver ring.

Skills: Military preceded *, Hobbies preceded by a -. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
--Bargain (05%): 25%
--Civics (10%): 18%
*Climb (40%): 60%
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 18%
Drive Horses (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
--First AId (30%): 45%
Hide (10%):
--History (20%): 37%
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%): 50%
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
--Other Language: Latin (01%): 41%
Own Language: Treveri Gallic (EDU X 5): 85%
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
--Potions (01%): 21%
Repair/Devise (20%):
*Republic (25%): 55%
*Ride Horse (05%): 65%
Science (01%):
*Sneak (10%): 62%
Spot Hidden (25%):
--Status (15%): 35%
Swim (25%):
*Tactics (25%): 52%
*Throw (25%): 56%
* Pillium (10%): 75%
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):
Burning Torch (10%+):
Mace (DEX x 5): 45%

Equipment:
Pugio - Master crafted-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treveri
Attachments
ArtemisGaiusSylvius.txt
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're almost set. Your hobby skills add up correctly now, but you've deducted points from your occupational skills and underspent on them. You get 340 occupational skill points, but you've only spent 305, including the 25 you've put in Listen. Listen is not one of your occupational skills, but Jump is, yet you've removed the points you had in it earlier. You may have meant to put those points in Jump. Once you adjust that and spend the additional 35 points on occupational skills, you'll be all set.

Feel free to read the Introduction and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Your character was in the Forum all along. Once you finish adjusting your occupational skills, you can make your first post in the latter In Character thread whenever you're ready. Also, please make a Spot Hidden roll when you do.

Note that you should not read the other IC thread (All Roads Lead to Rome), as your character wasn't in it. You may not read any IC threads that don't have your character until after the adventure concludes (with the exception of Introduction, which everyone may read).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Mr. Handy wrote:You're almost set. Your hobby skills add up correctly now, but you've deducted points from your occupational skills and underspent on them. You get 340 occupational skill points, but you've only spent 305, including the 25 you've put in Listen. Listen is not one of your occupational skills, but Jump is, yet you've removed the points you had in it earlier. You may have meant to put those points in Jump. Once you adjust that and spend the additional 35 points on occupational skills, you'll be all set.

Feel free to read the Introduction and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Your character was in the Forum all along. Once you finish adjusting your occupational skills, you can make your first post in the latter In Character thread whenever you're ready. Also, please make a Spot Hidden roll when you do.

Note that you should not read the other IC thread (All Roads Lead to Rome), as your character wasn't in it. You may not read any IC threads that don't have your character until after the adventure concludes (with the exception of Introduction, which everyone may read).
Ok, note to self making two characters for two different games at the same time may not be good for one's sanity. ;) Let's do this:
Listen: 0
Jump +25 = 50
I'll add +5 to Ride taking that to 70%
I'll add +5 to Republic taking that to 55%

Will work on my being the forum! THANK YOU FOR HELPING WITH THIS!!
Attachments
ArtemisGaiusSylviusFinal.txt
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! Actually, I was counting the 25 points that were supposed to be in Jump as part of the 305, but I had miscounted and it was actually 310 you had spent. You have another 20 occupational skill points to spend besides the 10 you spent above.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome! Actually, I was counting the 25 points that were supposed to be in Jump as part of the 305, but I had miscounted and it was actually 310 you had spent. You have another 20 occupational skill points to spend besides the 10 you spent above.
LOL...ok, then let's split that then with +10 in tactics taking that to 62; and +10 in throw taking that to 66. I think we have that then!
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by dustakr »

Hello,
I like to join in as one of investigator, I am almost ready with my character with some details missing about getting additional two weapon skills but added details with some google search..

Player: dustaker
Name: Spurius Papirius Valens
Current Residence: City Entrance, Cavalry outpost
Birthplace: Unknown
Home Era: Late Roman Republic

Stats:
STR: 11
CON: 9
SIZ: 14
DEX: 11
APP: 10
INT: 11
POW: 8
EDU: 11 [11+1 =12]

Idea: INT x 5 (Idea – 55),
Luck: POW x 5 (Luck - 40 ),
Know: EDU x 5 (Know – 60)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table +1d4
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up) 9+14 =23/2=12
Maximum Magic Points: POW 8
Starting Sanity: POW x 5 = 40

Background :

Spurius still remembers vaguely entering gates of Rome with his parents he was much younger to notice difference between moving to other town and living there, he remembered towering horses carrying the soldiers in shining armour, he spent all his childhood admiring roman armies and soldiers, even though his family settled in Rome as farmers serving roman republic, Spurius took first chance he got to recruit himself in roman army, ranking at one of the outpost near entrance to city.
//
Its been 3 weeks cavalry has been sent to patrol outside in the wilderness for little to no reason of capturing 5 trade slaves, who escaped from their caravan masters. Capture mission was not so successful as we managed to recover two very thin looking slaves, they were lying on ground all tired from running and begging for water. other two slaves were captured by cavalry from other outpost Claiming half of our reward from caravan masters ..other cavalry also accomplished in finding last slave who managed to run away complete three miles distance before getting spotted and put down by an archer.
//
Hope this time around there's not much of work in city ...have missed lot of things while joining in roman army and running with cavalry all over kingdom.
Spoiler:
SkIlls;

Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 22
Drive (20%): 50
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language: Latin (EDU X 5): 60
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%): 45
Ride Horse (05%): 75

Science (01%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%): 40
Status (15%): 40

Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%): 36
Throw (25%):
Track (10%): 40

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%): 45
.long sword : [60]
.heavy lance : [50]

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ritterton, I noticed that the base skill for Pilum in melee combat is 15%; it is only 10% when thrown. This makes your Pilum skill 80% in hand to hand combat. Also, your Republic skill was already 55%, so the +5 raises it to 60. You're good to go at this point.

Welcome, Dustakr! You'll need to make some alterations to your skill point spending. EDU 12 gives you 240 occupational skill points, and INT 11 gives you 110 hobby skill points. Your occupational skills are Drive, Republic, Ride, Status, Tactics, Throw, and your two weapon skills. Tactics has a base score of 25% when it's an occupational skill, so you save some skill points there. Long sword has a base skill of 20%, and long spear (which you'd use for your lance) has a base skill of 15%. You've spent a total of 261 points on your occupational skills even when taking into account the higher base skill for Tactics, but 21 of those could have come from your hobby skill points. You've only spent 35 other hobby skill points (on Spot Hidden and Knife), which accounts for a total of 56 of them. You still have 54 hobby skill points that you may spend on any skills you wish (except for Cthulhu Mythos).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

[quote="Mr. Handy"]Ritterton, I noticed that the base skill for Pilum in melee combat is 15%; it is only 10% when thrown. This makes your Pilum skill 80% in hand to hand combat. Also, your Republic skill was already 55%, so the +5 raises it to 60. You're good to go at this point. [quote]

So can I use the throw skill for the Pilum? and 60% Republic makes sense...

Welcome Dusktakr!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's how it works. Of course, you don't have the pilum on you right now, as it's not legal to bear it (or other weapons) within the city limits, and it's not so easy to conceal something that size. Also, once you throw it, you'd have to retrieve it before you could use it again.

EDIT: Actually, you can instead use your pilum skill (at -5, so at 75%) to throw your pilum. Your Throw skill, however, could be used to throw anything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

I have made use of hobby skill points.
Spoiler:
Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Animal Training (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Civics (10%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Drive (20%): 50
Fast Talk (05%):
First AId (30%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 50
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Own Kingdom (20%):
Other Language (01%):
Persuade (15%):
PIlot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Republic (25%): 45

Science (01%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 40
Status (25%): 40
Swim (25%):
Tactics (01%): 36
Throw (25%):
Track (10%): 40

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
.Kick (25%): 45
.Knife (25%): 45
Long sword (20%): 60
Heavy lance (15%) : 50

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse
Thank you for welcome, Ritterton, Mr. Handy.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, that's how it works. Of course, you don't have the pilum on you right now, as it's not legal to bear it (or other weapons) within the city limits, and it's not so easy to conceal something that size. Also, once you throw it, you'd have to retrieve it before you could use it again.

EDIT: Actually, you can instead use your pilum skill (at -5, so at 75%) to throw your pilum. Your Throw skill, however, could be used to throw anything.
Ok, perfect! Thanks for the explanation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome.

It looks like you still have 9 hobby points to spend, Dustakr.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome.

It looks like you still have 9 hobby points to spend, Dustakr.
Spoiler:
I am using my skill point as below now, and values in brackets are how I tally against occupational points and hobby points..
Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Drive (20%): 50 [-30]
.Listen (25%): 50 [-25]
Republic (25%): 30 [-5]
[-70]

.Spot Hidden (25%): 50 [-25]
Status (25%): 30 [-5]
Tactics (01%): 41 [-40]
.Throw (25%): 50 [-25]
Track (10%): 40 [-30]

numbers in blue adds up to : 245, that's + 5 from hobby points
and hobby points adds up to : 105

Hand-to-Hand:
.Kick (25%): 45 [-15]
.Knife (25%): 45 [-15]
Long sword (20%): 50 [-30]
Heavy lance (15%) : 50
[-35]

Equipment:
dagger
Knife x 2
Armor
horse
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Status has a base skill of only 15%, and Tactics has a base skill of 25% since it's one of your occupational skills. Now you've spent only 231 occupational skills, leaving you with 9 more. You've actually spent 20 hobby points each on Kick and Knife, which means you've now spent 115 hobby points, overspending by 5.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

Mr. Handy wrote:Status has a base skill of only 15%, and Tactics has a base skill of 25% since it's one of your occupational skills. Now you've spent only 231 occupational skills, leaving you with 9 more. You've actually spent 20 hobby points each on Kick and Knife, which means you've now spent 115 hobby points, overspending by 5.
Spoiler:
I am using my skill point as below now,
Drive (20%): 50 [-30]
.Listen (25%): 50 [-25]
Republic (25%): 35 [-10]
[-70]

.Spot Hidden (25%): 50 [-25]
Status (15%): 35 [-20]
Tactics (25%): 40 [-15]
.Throw (25%): 55 [-30]
Track (10%): 40 [-30]