The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Rome, 44 BC: The long and bloody civil war is over, and Julius Caesar has emerged triumphant as the undisputed ruler of Rome. The Republic appears to have been saved, but all is not right. Dark schemes and intrigues abound, and unimaginable horror lurks behind the scenes. The Time Lord and his companions, along with various people living in Rome, are caught up in the middle of it all. Can they unravel the mystery before chaos consumes everything?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Cthulhu Invictus, the fourth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, and The Shadow Over Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Post by andyw666 »

Can I just say this game is a hoot and totally reminds me of the black and white days of Dr Who! Much running around the villa. (With a hint of that Roman era Carry On movie. Carry On Cleopatra maybe? [$} Which as I recall had a minor role for Jon Pertwee.)

Except perhaps for knee strikes to the groin. Well, maybe Jo "How Short Was My Mini" Grant would have gone the swift knee. Needs must.

And definitely except Lucius getting slashed - decidedly more the CoC grittiness there. Here in Australia in my youth, Dr Who used to be played at 6:30pm weeknights by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, which was a designated 'family friendly' time. No vicious chops with swords. The first time the Brain of Moebius was played, it had to be moved to after 7:30pm because it was thought too scarey!! Mind you, that didn't stop Planet of the Giant Spiders etc being played at the normal time.

Conclusion: Being one of the good guys won't be enough to keep you alive in The Brotherhood of Death.

[$] Cue Kenneth Williams drawling "mmmwwwwrrr".
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

Big casting changes coming up on Doctor Who, with another regeneration soon :( Full BBC story here.

Very sad :( I think his first series was a total misfire by the showrunner, bringing back all the bad things from Colin Baker's early stories. But the character was fantastic in the second year. And now just one more series to go ...
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

Got into the Dr. via a friend saying, you have to watch Blink...so we did....my kids and I have been hooked ever since...sorry to see this Dr. go, I really really like his character. Now it will be fascinating as to who will be his replacement. Looking forward to this next season.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

andyw666 wrote:Can I just say this game is a hoot and totally reminds me of the black and white days of Dr Who! Much running around the villa. (With a hint of that Roman era Carry On movie. Carry On Cleopatra maybe? [$} Which as I recall had a minor role for Jon Pertwee.)

Except perhaps for knee strikes to the groin. Well, maybe Jo "How Short Was My Mini" Grant would have gone the swift knee. Needs must.

And definitely except Lucius getting slashed - decidedly more the CoC grittiness there. Here in Australia in my youth, Dr Who used to be played at 6:30pm weeknights by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, which was a designated 'family friendly' time. No vicious chops with swords. The first time the Brain of Moebius was played, it had to be moved to after 7:30pm because it was thought too scarey!! Mind you, that didn't stop Planet of the Giant Spiders etc being played at the normal time.

Conclusion: Being one of the good guys won't be enough to keep you alive in The Brotherhood of Death.

[$] Cue Kenneth Williams drawling "mmmwwwwrrr".
Thank you! Classic Doctor Who is exactly the vibe I've been going for, and this story in particular hearkens back to the Hartnell era historical stories, particularly The Romans. The first adventure in this campaign, The Terror Out of Time, was designed to be reminiscent of Tom Baker's early stories, especially The Pyramids of Mars. The second one, The Ninth Planet, is inspired by the Troughton era "base under siege" stories, as well as Hartnell's swan song The Tenth Planet, which is the prototype for them. The third adventure, The Shadow Over Dunwich, is similar to the Pertwee UNIT stories.

I've seen Carry on Cleopatra, but I hadn't even been thinking of it until you mentioned it. I don't remember if Jon Pertwee was in it, but I know he did have a small part in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

Classic Doctor Who doesn't really seem all that scary when compared with modern stuff, but Mary Whitehouse and her ilk were always complaining about it. The Australian censors were also particularly touchy, taking out scenes that aired in the UK with no problem. Still, we should be grateful they did. That's the only way that some clips of missing episodes survived. Even though those episodes were wiped, the censors were required by law to preserve the clips they'd excised. Ironically, the parts they felt weren't fit to air were sometimes the only ones that survived.

You're right, I don't recall people getting slashed or stabbed in the classic series, but characters do die there quite frequently, moreso than in this campaign. An awful lot of them get shot, but there's never any blood.

By the way, you're not supposed to read other characters' IC threads until after the adventure concludes.
yockenthwaite wrote:Big casting changes coming up on Doctor Who, with another regeneration soon :( Full BBC story here.

Very sad :( I think his first series was a total misfire by the showrunner, bringing back all the bad things from Colin Baker's early stories. But the character was fantastic in the second year. And now just one more series to go ...
I'm also sad to see Peter Capaldi go. It seems like he just got started. With last year not having an actual season, he hasn't had as much screen time as he should have. I'm also curious as to who will be the Thirteenth Doctor.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I have a major update coming, but no time to make it tonight. It should be up at some point this weekend, hopefully by tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Yes, bless the ABC's early censors and their doomed bid to keep us pure of morals. Yup, that worked. I believe though that a few of the DW reels sent to Australia have wound up being the only surviving copies, so we have contributed in that way to Whovian preservation too.

And I shall immediately forget all current IC stuff outside what Lupus knows, sorry!!
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

http://kck.st/2loTinl

New 7th Edition Invictus rules coming out...awesome...have been sketching out a scenario I would love to try as aone shot once these new rules come out...as the time period is in the 200s...

R
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm about to leave for my convention. Those of you in The Ides of March can continue to converse and plan while I'm away. In Vae Victis, I still need an action from Story before I can continue.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
alazred
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by alazred »

I had seen it pass for the 7th edition of invictus. Very tempting! I've looked at delta green also that is very interesting. Unfortunately I cant buy everything !! ;)
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

alazred wrote:I had seen it pass for the 7th edition of invictus. Very tempting! I've looked at delta green also that is very interesting. Unfortunately I cant buy everything !! ;)
Totally understand that. I just like this time period...and I have really teased out in my mind a two part scenario that really just won't leave me! ;-)
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Mr. Handy wrote:I'm about to leave for my convention. Those of you in The Ides of March can continue to converse and plan while I'm away. In Vae Victis, I still need an action from Story before I can continue.
Sorry about that. I'll post tonight.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRljlpYM1kQ

In case folks hadn't seen this, pretty cool use of virtual reality to show what Nero's grand palace would have looked like.
alazred
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by alazred »

Nice, really interesting. I'll try to go see that!
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

alazred wrote:Nice, really interesting. I'll try to go see that!
Would love to hear your notes of such a visit. Can only imagine.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ritterton wrote:
alazred wrote:I had seen it pass for the 7th edition of invictus. Very tempting! I've looked at delta green also that is very interesting. Unfortunately I cant buy everything !! ;)
Totally understand that. I just like this time period...and I have really teased out in my mind a two part scenario that really just won't leave me! ;-)
The new Cthulhu Invictus is tempting for me too, even though I don't run 7th edition. I may back it anyway, despite that and the fact that this adventure will probably be long over by the time it delivers. I also backed the new Delta Green, for which I'm still waiting for the new core book, let alone the others.
jaysun81 wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:I'm about to leave for my convention. Those of you in The Ides of March can continue to converse and plan while I'm away. In Vae Victis, I still need an action from Story before I can continue.
Sorry about that. I'll post tonight.
There was no rush. I was gone the last few days anyway, and didn't have time to update before tonight.
Ritterton wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRljlpYM1kQ

In case folks hadn't seen this, pretty cool use of virtual reality to show what Nero's grand palace would have looked like.
That was cool! It would be neat to see it, but I doubt I'll have the chance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Well, Hadrian's Wall and cousins in Eastern England and Scotland are on my next big trip plan. Finished the freelearning course on the wall, now doing one on Portus, but am running behind in that one.

As to 7th Edition, backed it and will work on the scenario trial that I have been thinking about.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome to zx14r, who will be taking over the character of Aricus Callidus Gladio!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

...I may attempt to enter this villa quietly and from the rear, unnoticed...
(Harking back to the earlier conversation.) I just have to point out that in the old days of "family viewing time" 1st/2nd/3rd Dr Who, you could have spoken that line with a completely straight face.

On 'Carry on Cleopatra' of course, Kenneth Williams would have been going "mrrrrrrrrrr".

OK, mind back out of the gutter...
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Welcome, zx14r!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Mr. Handy wrote:Welcome to zx14r, who will be taking over the character of Aricus Callidus Gladio!
Yes indeed, welcome zx14r!! In time for events to get a bit sporting.

Return to “The Brotherhood of Death”