IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Story, Lucius, and Brook are captured by Scaevola and his guards, and only Elizabeth escapes. As the sun rises on the Ides of March, she tries desperately to get help to rescue her friends. However, they have a dilemma: they cannot mount a rescue mission and stop Scaevola's plot at the same time.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 am

Spoiler:
Decius has a Tactics skill of 50% and rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
29
User avatar
andyw666
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:58 am

Spoiler:
Decius knew that the speed was of the essence. If they could strike the guards before they could get properly organized, they would have a great advantage.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28615
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 am

Spoiler:
Listen = 25%
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d100:
16


Amid the chaos, Titus hears something strange.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:37 am

Decius draws breath and with his best battle cry roars, "With me, troops, they're on the run now but they'll rally if we let them! Quickly!"

Sword and shield at the ready, Decius charges down the hall after the Egyptian guards, following the bloody trail.
User avatar
andyw666
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:08 am

Spoiler:
Titus had heard a man's voice calling in Egyptian far in the distance, well beyond the corridor through which the guards were fleeing. The unwounded guard had also shouted something in Egyptian.

Spoiler:
Titus, you may roll Other Language: Egyptian if you wish. The base chance is 01%.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28615
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 am

Spoiler:
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d100:
2


Even in the midst of battle, Titus tries to draw the attention of his fellows. "There is someone within the corridor speaking to one of the guards in a language I do not know. That person may be important."

He advances behind the soldiers, ready to make use of his spear if need be.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 am

While Titus could not completely understand what the guards were yelling, he was sure they were speaking Egyptian, and it sounded like Elizabeth's translation was correct.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28615
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Spoiler:
Listen against 25
Ritterton rolled 1d100:
85
and against tactics of 52
Ritterton rolled 1d100:
64

Artemis managed to get his breathing in check and the blood pumping in his ears was fading into an almost unhearable rythm. Suddenly Elizabeth was shouting for Lady Caelia and then also TItus was talking about someone of importance. He shook his head and things got a bit clearer.

"Should we go after that person sounding the alarm, and a few go after Lady Caelia," Artemis asked as he followed after Decius with the pillum at the ready.
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 am

Decius shakes his head and speaks with confidence. "We've got these guards on the run, we need to deal with them before they rally. And there must be enough of us that we can protect the young girl and the elder. Once the guards are sorted, we'll have more time to search properly." He keeps moving.
User avatar
andyw666
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 am

Spoiler:
Elizabeth and Titus could hear Caelia call out in the distance: "Please stop! Let me help this guard, he's badly wounded; I'm a surgeon and if he's not tended to immediately you might lose him."

"There's no time," said Akana in Egyptian. "Your friends are too near. Get her below. You two hide the entrance, then join the fight." Shortly afterwards, they heard something heavy being moved.

The group rushed across the atrium and down the corridor, the three cavalrymen and the gladiator leading the charge. They emerged into the peristylium, a large open-air garden. There were three doors on the right-hand side, not far beyond their current position. All of them were open. At the far side, there was a door on the left side and an open doorway on the right side. Two Egyptian guards, each drawing a khopesh, emerged from that doorway. The two guards they were pursuing had stopped fleeing and were also gathered at the far end of the garden, as was another guard. Just as the rescuers arrived, two additional guards with weapons in hand also emerged from the central door on the right, for a total of seven.

Spoiler:
Titus was close enough in his Egyptian roll that I'll allow him to understand the speech he heard, especially since Elizabeth can fill in the blanks for him as they run.

Only Decius, Aricus, and Spurius may act before the guards do.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28615
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 am

Hmm, seven? Not great odds. And I'm fencing with a khopesh. Oh well, the gods hate a coward.

Decius roars, "Watch each others' backs! And you guards - run now or die!"

Decius charges forward and slices at a guard.

Spoiler:
Attack with Long Sword at 70% skill...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
51


Spoiler:
andyw666 rolled 1d8:
8
+
andyw666 rolled 1d4:
1

for a total 9
User avatar
andyw666
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:44 am

The three cavalrymen and the gladiator charged into the mass of guards, who hastily turned to meet them, with war cries on their lips. The one that Decius attacked did try to turn and run, but he was too slow. The blade caught him in the chest, slicing him open, and he dropped to the ground, motionless. Aricus and Spurius swung wildly in the melee, but their blows did not strike home. The badly wounded guard swung at the gladiator, but in his weakened state he failed to connect. Another guard attacked him, his blade cutting through Aricus's ringmail and wounding him lightly. Spurius was mobbed by two fierce guards. One slashed him in the shoulder, finding a weak spot in his armor and wounding him in the neck. The other hit him, but his scale armor turned the blade. One guard each attacked Decius and Artemis, but their wild blows were ineffective.

As if things weren't bad enough, two more sleepy-eyed guards emerged from the furthest of the three open doors on the right. They wore only loincloths, having just awakened, though they did have their swords in their hands.

Spoiler:
Guard 1's Dodge roll (40% skill):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
69

Guard 1's CON x 5 roll (65% stat) to stay conscious:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
92

Aricus's Gladius roll (75% skill) attacking Guard 2:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
84

Spurius's Long Sword roll (50% skill) attacking Guard 3:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
63

Guard 2's Khopesh roll (35% skill) attacking Aricus:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
59

Guard 3's Khopesh roll (35% skill) attacking Spurius:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
3

Damage to Spurius from critical khopesh hit (ignores armor):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d8:
3
+
Mr. Handy rolled 1d4:
2

Guard 4's Khopesh roll (35% skill) attacking Artemis:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
64

Guard 5's Khopesh roll (35% skill) attacking Decius:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
67

Guard 6's Khopesh roll (35% skill) attacking Aricus:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
9

Damage to Aricus from khopesh hit:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d8:
7
+
Mr. Handy rolled 1d4:
1

Guard 7's Khopesh roll (35% skill) attacking Spurius:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
32

Damage to Spurius from khopesh hit:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d8:
2
+
Mr. Handy rolled 1d4:
1


At this point, Artemis, Elizabeth, and Titus may take their turns. Also, since Decius, Aricus, and Spurius go before the guards in the combat order at the top of the next round, they may act as well now.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28615
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 pm

These are desperate times. Titus is no soldier, but he will do what he can to aid the brave warriors. He brandishes the pilum at one of the guards.

Spoiler:
spear melee = 15%
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d100:
7


To his astonishment, he strikes home. Mars is guiding his hand!

Spoiler:
Damage = 1d8 +db. I don't even know what db is, so I'll let you figure it out.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d8:
8
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Spoiler:
attack with mace - 45
Ritterton rolled 1d100:
46
damage if a hit
Ritterton rolled 1d6:
2


Artemis pulled the mace from his belt and swung it hard at the guard that had tried to attack him.
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:59 am

Two more? We are going to start losing people very soon. Time to go full Roman. I hope Germanicus backs me on this if it does work.

Decius takes a deep breath. "Egyptians, listen to me! We work for Senator Germanicus! He is rich and powerful! If you stop fighting, he will pay you gold! He will pay your passage back to Egypt if you want it! We can have you enlisted as Roman Army Auxiliaries within the week if you want that instead! I am Decius Lupus and I swear this is true, on my honour as a Roman citizen and veteran auxiliary! May Mars and Jupiter strike me down if I lie!"

"No-one else needs to die, just stop fighting and wait for us at the front of the villa."


Decius punctuates this with another vicious attack at a guard with his khopesh.

Spoiler:
Khopesh attack at 70% and he rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
4


Spoiler:
That would be an impale.
andyw666 rolled 2d8:
7, 5
+
andyw666 rolled 2d4:
1, 1

For a total 14
User avatar
andyw666
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:22 am

Spoiler:
Nice rolling!

Titus, db stands for damage bonus, and yours is 0. Still, 8 damage is very impressive! Please let me know which of the guards you want to stab. There are two each engaged with Spurius and Aricus, both of whom are wounded, and one each with Artemis and Decius. There are also two guards not currently fighting anyone, though rushing them by yourself is risky. If you don't specify, I'll just choose one of the guards fighting Spurius, who needs help the worst. One of the guards fighting Aricus is badly wounded, and the spear thrust will surely kill him. It may even be powerful enough to down one of the uninjured guards, depending on a CON roll.

Artemis, I see that there's a small problem with your character sheet. The Mace skill there appears to have been copied and pasted from another sheet, and it refers to the chemical spray (which doesn't exist in ancient Rome), not a spiked club. That is why it had a base skill of DEX x 5. The base skill for a mace is 25%, as it is classified as a Small Club. I'll just say you stabbed your guard with your pilum, as your roll was good enough to hit with that. Go ahead and roll damage, which is 1D8.

Elizabeth, you may act as well if you wish.

Decius, please roll Status to see how effective your offer is.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28615
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:42 am

Spoiler:
Decius' Status is 40% and he rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
3
User avatar
andyw666
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:09 am

OOC:   :lol: Ok, that was a hillarious mistake. Sorry, so I changed the sheet here, need to go into the discussion here in the creation forum to make that change as well. Here is that damage roll
Ritterton rolled 1d8:
1
 
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Spoiler:
Attacking the guard with Spurius is fine.


Still amazed at the damage he has done without proper training, Titus prepares to defend himself with the pilum.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby yockenthwaite » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Elizabeth pulls out her knife, ready to defend herself if need be. But she waits to see what the guards' response to Decius's offer is, before making any attack herself.
User avatar
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to Episode 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests