IC-Ep 5-SNAFU(Salem/Newton)

As UNIT's raid on Dunwich unfolds, disaster strikes. The opposition is prepared for their attack, and everything hangs in the balance of a battle that could go either way.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Re: IC-Ep 5-SNAFU(Salem/Newton)

Post by dustakr »

'..you might want to get away from the door..' Newton points soldier at door to move away..'get some obstacles near door...what is behind door, soldier?' Newton trying to make sense of what soldier blabbering about...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You don't want to know," mumbled the soldier as he started dragging a table over to barricade the door. "You don't want to know..." More horrified screams came from outside.

A woman emerged from an interior door into the lobby, wearing only a lavender slip. Though her red hair was disheveled and she was obviously groggy from just having been awakened, she was pretty even so. "What's going on?" she asked Salem, rubbing her eyes. "I heard gunfire and screaming."

"Miss, we're here to protect you," Salem told her. "We may need to evacuate the inn. I need you to gather the other guests and bring them to the lobby. Do you think you can do that?"

"Hang on a bit! Just who the devil are you and what's happening?"

"I'm Captain Salem Shields, and there's no time to explain. We're all in terrible danger!"

"Why should I believe a word you say? You lot came storming in here shooting off your guns and waking me out of a sound sleep! For all I know, you're the danger!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

'... Where is your squad, soldier?', Newton insists on knowing more... 'Please, step away from door, if you don't want to answer my questions?..l can find out myself...' Newton equips Rifle and moves towards door in attempt to open the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please, Miss," said Salem to the redhead. "Your life depends on following our instructions, and the lives of everyone else here."

"Why not just pull the fire alarm?" she asked.

"Because then they'll flee every which way and end up right in the middle of it. The front door is the only safe way out right now."

Bursts of automatic gunfire came from outside, from the direction of the car park. "In the middle of what? It sounds like World War Three out there!"

"In a manner of speaking, it is."

"You mean the Russians are landing?!"

"It's worse than that."

"Well, I don't believe a word you're saying! I'm staying right here!" She put her hands on her hips.

"They're inside that thing!" cried the soldier in the restaurant. When Newton moved for the back door and started pulling the table away, the soldier looked even more terrified. "No, don't open it! We'll be killed!" No sooner had Newton removed the barricade than the door was split apart by green scaly claws. Standing on the other side of the door were two Sea Devils, looking every bit as hideous as he had expected they would. They were over seven feet tall, wearing silver string vests and carrying sharp spears and fishing nets. At the same time, every rear-facing window shattered, and more Sea Devils began to clamber through them.
OOC,[b]Newton[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing the Sea Devils. Sanity loss is 0/1, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed or one point if you fail. Then you may act freely. [b]Salem[/b]'s Persuade roll (15% base skill) to convince the woman to listen to him. [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

'Solider..take cover and aim for creatures coming in from windows..we need to slow them down..' Newton still recovers from blow to door, equips rifle again..'Brian get the lady and move everyone out until we hold them off..and tell everyone to run past the front door..'..Newton gets steady grip on rifle and bursts a round towards one of rare facing window.

roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You are at point blank range, which doubles your base skill, so that will hit. You also get a bonus to hit if you fire more than one bullet in a burst at a single target. You can actually target up to two of the Sea Devils coming through the windows. If you want to do that, please make a second Rifle roll. Also, please tell me how many bullets you are firing at each one. You can fire up to a total of 20 this round, but you only have 30 in the magazine. Please roll 1dX for each target, where X is the number of bullets you fired at that Sea Devil, to see how many bullets hit it. For each one that hits, please roll 2d8 for damage.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,If I get this correctly, I like second roll, Second rifle Roll ; [dice]0[/dice] number of bullets for each sea devils; 1st sea devil [5] = [dice]1[/dice] 2nd sea devil [7] = [dice]2[/dice] hit roll = [dice]3[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Newton fired bursts at the Sea Devils climbing in through one set of windows, while the soldier with him fired at the two coming in through the other pair. Each of them hit and downed one of the Sea Devils, and the other two rushed the soldier, thrusting their spears. Unfortunately, nobody was doing anything about the two coming in through the door, and they came right at Newton. Luckily, they all missed.

"What was that?!" cried the woman in the lobby when she heard the sounds from the restaurant. "That came from inside!"

"Get out of here!" yelled Salem. "Save yourself!" He threw open the front door. "We need some help in here!" Then he and the soldier he had rallied rushed into the restaurant with weapons drawn, shocked at the sight before them. They were further horrified when six more Sea Devils burst in, two through the door and four through the windows. There were now a total of ten of them still standing inside the restaurant.
OOC,Your Rifle skill is the base of 25%, which is doubled to 50% for point blank range, so unfortunately your second burst missed. You needed to roll 2d8 for each bullet that hit the first Sea Devil, so I need two more sets of 2d8. Chances are that will kill it, or at least knock it unconscious, but please roll them just to make sure. You also never rolled Sanity, so I'll need that roll as well. I've gone ahead and processed the rest of the round assuming the Sea Devil goes down. If it does not, I will roll its attack as well. You may also now act again. You have 18 bullets left in your magazine and you can shoot at up to four of the Sea Devils if you choose to fire. UNIT Soldier's Sanity rolll (current level 41) for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]0[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Rifle rolls (55% skill) shooting at two Sea Devils, two ten-round bursts: [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] How many bullets hit second Sea Devil? [dice]3[/dice] UNIT Sergeant's Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]4[/dice] UNIT Sergeant's Sanity loss for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]6[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Sanity roll (current level 44) for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]5[/dice] Resistance Table roll: UNIT Sergeant's POW 9 vs. Sea Devil's POW 18 (5% chance) to resist spell: [dice]7[/dice] MP spent by Sea Devil: [dice]8[/dice] STR lost by UNIT Sergeant: [dice]9[/dice] Corrected roll: [dice]10[/dice] Damage to Sea Devil: [dice]11[/dice] Sea Devils' Spear attacks (25% chance) on [b]Newton[/b] [x2], UNIT Soldier(inside) [x2], UNIT Soldier(outside) [x2]: [dice]12[/dice] [dice]13[/dice] [dice]14[/dice] [dice]15[/dice] [dice]16[/dice] [dice]17[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,first thing; 2more 2d8s for first sea devils : [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] I am rolling rifle for latest bunch who came from door and two more who charged at soldier... [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] [dice]5[/dice] number of bullets for each sea devils; please discard bullet roll as necessary. 1st sea devil [5] = [dice]6[/dice] 2nd sea devil [7] = [dice]7[/dice] 2nd sea devil [3] = [dice]8[/dice] 2nd sea devil [3] = [dice]9[/dice] [b]still not sure about how to calculate hit roll[/b] [u]quetion[/u] : I would like to know which might take less time, reloading rifle or equipping new weapon? I rolled sanity which I replied in spoiler box roll at this post : http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=171194#p171194 but I guess that roll is already redeemed, I will roll sanity then.. sanity roll : [dice]10[/dice]
Newton looks determined to stop sea devils before anyone could get in danger...'Brian...Where is Brian?' Newton asks at two figures who came in from lobby..
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I had thought that roll by itself was your first Rifle roll, rather than your Sanity roll, as it wasn't labeled. I'll apply the 48 for your Sanity roll. Your chance to hit each Sea Devil is equal to double your Rifle skill, since you're at point blank range. Your Rifle skill is 25%, which means you hit on a 50 or less. Therefore, you only hit the first Sea Devil this round, and you hit it with three bullets. Please roll 2d8 three times to see how much damage you cause. The Sea Devil you hit last round is definitely dead. Next round, it will be faster to switch to a new weapon. Reloading the rifle takes an entire round, but if you draw a new weapon you can still attack with it. However, you may end up attacking after some or all of the Sea Devils that are attacking you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

yetAnotherOOC,2d8 rolls for first sea devil: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] if Newton still standing, Newton Definitely draws electric prod and goes for closest of sea devil's head, if there is no recharge time, he may hit next closest sea devil's legs with prod, or he draws bayonet to defend.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,UNIT Soldier's Sanity roll (current level 32) for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]0[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Sanity loss for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]1[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Rifle rolls (55 x 2 = 110% skill) shooting at two Sea Devils attacking him, point blank, two five-round bursts: [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] How many bullets hit each Sea Devil? [dice]4[/dice] [dice]5[/dice] Damage to first Sea Devil: [dice]10[/dice] [dice]11[/dice] [dice]12[/dice] [dice]13[/dice] Damage to second Sea Devil: [dice]14[/dice] [dice]15[/dice] [dice]16[/dice] [dice]17[/dice] UNIT Soldier's RIfle rolls (55% skill) shooting at two Sea Devils coming through the windows, two ten-round bursts: [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice] [b]Salem[/b]'s Handgun rolls (20% base skill) shooting at Sea Devils coming through the other windows: [dice]8[/dice] [dice]9[/dice] Sea Devils' Spear attacks (25% chance) on [b]Newton[/b]: [dice]18[/dice] [dice]19[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the chaos of battle, nobody answered Newton's question about Brian, or if they did he couldn't hear it. In any case, there was no sign of him. Newton mowed down one of the Sea Devils in front of him. The soldier who had been in the restaurant with him before blazed away at the two attacking him, cutting them down in a hail of bullets, but then his rifle clicked, its magazine exhausted. The soldier with Salem blanched in terror. He opened fire, but his panicky shooting went wide. Salem only had his pistol, and he wasn't very good with it, for his shots missed as well. Two of the Sea Devils pressed the attack on Newton, while the third one that had come in the door bypassed him and rushed Salem. Each of the two UNIT soldiers in the room was rushed by a pair of Sea Devils. They thrust with their spears, coming close to hitting but landing no blows as yet. More bursts of rifle fire came from behind the inn.

Three more UNIT soldiers entered the restaurant from the lobby, their mouths agape when they saw their foes.
OOC,[b]Newton[/b], it is now your turn to act. To use your electric prod, please make a Fist/Punch roll to see if you hit one of your attackers. If you hit, roll 1d6 to see how many rounds the Sea Devil is stunned. Sea Devils' Spear attacks (25% chance) on first UNIT Soldier: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] Sea Devils' Spear attacks (25% chance) on second UNIT Soldier: [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] Sea Devil's Spear attack (25% chance) on [b]Salem[/b]: [dice]4[/dice] Sea Devil's Spear attack (25% chance) on [b]Newton[/b], next round: [dice]5[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,Fist/Punch roll = [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,UNIT Soldiers' Sanity rolls (current level 45) for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] UNIT Soldiers' Sanity losses for seeing the Sea Devils: [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Rifle rolls (55 x 2 = 110% skill) shooting at the two Sea Devils attacking him, point blank, two five-round bursts: [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] How many bullets hit each Sea Devil? [dice]7[/dice] [dice]8[/dice] Damage to each Sea Devil: [dice]9[/dice] [dice]10[/dice] Sea Devil's CON x 5 roll (55% chance) to stay conscious: [dice]11[/dice] [b]Salem[/b]'s Handgun rolls (20 x 2 = 40% base skill) shooting at the Sea Devil attacking him, point blank: [dice]12[/dice] [dice]13[/dice] Damage to Sea Devil: [dice]14[/dice] [dice]15[/dice] Sea Devils' Spear attacks UNIT soldiers (25% chance): [dice]16[/dice] [dice]17[/dice] [dice]18[/dice] [dice]19[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The newly arrived reinforcements recovered quickly from their shock, but they dared not open fire for fear of hitting their comrades in arms. Instead, they drew knives and waded into combat. The soldier near Newton emptied his magazine at the two Sea Devils near him in wild panic, but only one bullet hit each. One fell, but the other remained standing. Salem fired two bullets from his pistol at the Sea Devil attacking him, hitting it in vital areas and slaying it outright. The melee was chaotic, with most of the soldiers and the Sea Devils making ineffective attacks. One soldier, however, filleted the Sea Devil he was fighting, and it collapsed to the floor. Newton discharged his stun prod at his opponent, but it stepped back and avoided the blow before thrusting its spear forward once more, coming close to jabbing him. There were now only four monsters on their feet, and none of the human defenders in the restaurant had taken a scratch. The tide seemed to be turning, but things did not appear to be going so well elsewhere. A man's scream behind the inn turned into an ominous gurgle, and a woman's scream came from the lobby!
OOC,UNIT Soldiers' Knife rolls (50% skill) attacking Sea Devils: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] Damage to Sea Devil from UNIT Soldier's knife: [dice]4[/dice] Sea Devil's CON x 5 roll (50% stat) to stay conscious: [dice]5[/dice] Sea Devil's Spear attack (25% chance) on [b]Newton[/b]: [dice]6[/dice] [b]Newton[/b], it is your turn to act once more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,Newton hears screams, Newton jumps towards sea devil and re attempts to stun him with prod.. [dice]0[/dice]
OOC1,Well I am exhausted already forming following lines, I like to convey that brigs decision to secure Inn was spot on.. *Jinx* '..Well Dr. Shields, about making sense..I always think brigadiers talks and My Actions rarely does make any..but I guess brigadier does know a thing or two about..securing battles'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The Sea Devil was stunned, but only momentarily. One of the others finally pierced a UNIT soldier with its spear, grievously wounding him! However, he managed to remain standing and fight back. He rammed his knife right through its ribcage, and two other soldiers also scored hits on their opponents. The first Sea Devil fell bleeding to death, the blade still embedded in its heart. The others were only somewhat wounded. Salem ran to the injured soldier's side and expertly treated him. One of the wounded Sea Devils pressed the attack, but it was a little too slow to land a blow. Another agonized scream came from somewhere outside, behind the inn.

The the doors from the lobby flew open. Brian entered first, with his left arm around the redheaded woman's waist and his right locked around her neck. She looked terrified, but she was still in control of herself. Next, another fishy-looking man in swim trunks followed, with his knife to the throat of a Royal Navy sailor in a waterlogged uniform. Last came a female Sea Devil with a gold tiara on her head. She also held a captured sailor, grabbing him by the neck with a claw. "Drop your weapons, or we start killing them!" she demanded. "We have the inn completely surrounded. Your cause is lost. Surrender now and your lives will be spared."
OOC,[b]Newton[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing the hybrid. Sanity loss is 0/1d4, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed, but 1d4 if you fail. After that, it is your turn to act.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,Sanity Roll : [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That roll fails, so you need to roll 1d4 to see how much Sanity you lose and then decide what you're going to do.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 5”