IC-Ep 5-Storming the Castle(Everyone else)

As UNIT's raid on Dunwich unfolds, disaster strikes. The opposition is prepared for their attack, and everything hangs in the balance of a battle that could go either way.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 9 years

Re: IC-Ep 5-Storming the Castle(Everyone else)

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon never knew life could be as terrifying as hiding in a dumbwaiter in a monsters house, but being a combat doctor tends to expose you to lots of new experiences you never knew you wanted to be apart of. Gordon squeezed the button on his radio with sweaty hands and whispered in the receiver "Second floor appears to be clear, will continue to 3rd floor and secure stairwell. Gordon out.". Gordon, realizing he left his courage in a bottle back at his office, swore silently to himself and continued hoisting himself up the passage to the third floor. "If im discovered before i regroup with the others, my best bet is to pose as a lost doctor on a house call."
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Greyhound One, this is Trap One," said Salem over the radio. "There's a Sea Devil and what looks to be one of their half-breeds on the beach with five surviving sailors from Greyhound Two. They're holding them hostage. Looks like a standoff to me, sir."

"Understood," replied the Brigadier. "Keep your eyes on them for now, but take no hostile action yet. We can't risk their lives."

Gordon hauled himself up to the upper floor. The hallway on the upper floor looked identical to the one below. The dumbwaiter would rise no higher from this point.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon, after wedging his fingers in the door and prying it open, carefully unwound himself from the cramped compartment and took a moment to stretch. "Well that was unpleasant. Back to business... " Pulling out his radio, Gordon punched the button with trembling fingers. "Third floor clear, moving to staircase. What is your status?". Taking careful stock of his surroundings, Gordon began his silent march in the direction he felt most likely to lead to the staircase, being careful to listen for signs of life in the silent house. Gordon had heard stories of the horrors that U.N.I.T. faced, and even had a close call back at headquarters when a sea devil attempted to flee through him and his fellows. But in this moment, alone in the monsters house, with nothing but a handgun, knife, and his wits, he never felt so helpless in his life. How, in the face of unknowable horrors, could he and his companions ever hope to survive, much less drive back the madness that threatened the order of the modern world. His thoughts flashed back to his family back home. "Right about this time, everyone is sitting around the kitchen table, bowing their heads and saying their prayers for their dinner... I wonder if they still set my place at the table for me..." Gordon's thoughts turned dark, as shadowy demons and unknowable nightmares slunk around the yard, peering in the windows, scratching at the doors, waiting for the right moment to pounce and rip his family from him. Vigorously shaking his head, Gordon forced his thoughts back to the task at hand. Cold steel pressed against his body, reassuring him that even if the entire world falls to madness, he had a full clip of sanity waiting to be prescribed. Gritting his teeth in the darkness, Gordon continued his march into the unknown.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As the group moved around the corner, one of the doors was opened by an unattractive woman clad in a nightgown. She was in her thirties and showing clear signs of "the Dunwich look." As soon as she saw the armed intruders in the hall, she screamed: "Help! Bloody murder!"

Upstairs, Gordon found the corridor deserted. It was anyone's guess where the stairs were. One door was at the end of the hall, and two pairs of other doors lined the left and right sides of the hall on the way to the corner, where it turned to the right. It was anyone's guess where the stairs were. Then he heard the scream from below. Of course, if he had heard it, someone else could have as well.
OOC,Listen rolls (25% base skill) for servants: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] Sneak roll (10% base skill) for [b]Dr. Kirby[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Gordon[/b], you may choose one of the doors to open or look around the corner. If you open one at random, please roll Luck. You could also get back in the dumbwaiter and go back down that way if you wish. Everyone else, please roll Sanity for seeing the woman. Sanity loss is 0/1d4, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed or 1d4 Sanity if you fail. Afterwards, you may act freely.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Tobias had forgotten how ugly the half-breeds were and this 'woman' was no exception, she could have been the handy-man's sister at the inn. He gulped down his revulsion and attempted to jump on the woman to shut her up.
rolls,IC is down so I got out my old dice :P Sanity: 57/4 (Do I need to roll as Tobias has seen a few of these uglies?) Immobilise the woman: 37
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordons heart skipped a few beats when he heard the woman scream. "Christ almighty, what the bloody hell is going on down there..." Unsure of what to do but not liking the idea of stuffing himself back in that cramped dumbwaiter, Gordon decided he was better off not standing in the hallway alone when someone responded to the cry of terror. Using the most scientific method possible, he picked a door to open and hide behind. "Lets see, Eenie Meenie Miney..."
Moe,Luck Roll [dice]0[/dice]
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Vladd »

Peter had heard about the look of the locals but never quite believed it.
Spoiler:
Sanity check: 1d100 8
OOC:   As invisible castle is down I used orokos.com  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Unhand me, you cheeky bugger!" shrieked the woman, walloping Tobias on the head. Tobias was already injured, and his glass jaw gave out. He collapsed to the floor in a heap.

Gordon made an educated guess based on what Dr. Kirby had said, running around the corner and trying the door at the end of that stretch of hall, just before it turned another corner to the left. This door led to a wooden stairway leading up and down.
OOC,You're right, [b]Tobias[/b], you've already lost 4 for seeing hybrids, so you can't lose any more and need not roll Sanity. Your attempt to grab the woman is a Grapple, which fails. [b]Tinker[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 56): [dice]0[/dice] [b]Valerie Soames[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 44): [dice]1[/dice] [b]Evert[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 50): [dice]2[/dice] [b]Donald[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 55): [dice]3[/dice] [b]Brigadier Cricthon[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 60): [dice]4[/dice] [b]Virgil Soames's[/b] Sanity roll (current level 54): [dice]5[/dice] UNIT Soldier 1's Sanity roll (current level 45): [dice]6[/dice] UNIT Soldier 2's Sanity roll (current level 45): [dice]7[/dice] UNIT Soldier 2's Sanity loss: [dice]13[/dice] UNIT Soldier 3's Sanity roll (current level 45): [dice]8[/dice] UNIT Soldier 3's Sanity loss: [dice]14[/dice] UNIT Soldier 4's Sanity roll (current level 45): [dice]9[/dice] UNIT Soldier 5's Sanity roll (current level 45): [dice]10[/dice] UNIT Soldier 5's Sanity loss: [dice]15[/dice] UNIT Soldier 6's Sanity roll (current level 45): [dice]11[/dice] UNIT Soldier 6's Sanity loss: [dice]16[/dice] Servant's Fist/Punch roll (55% skill) attacking [b]Tobias[/b], knockout attempt: [dice]12[/dice] Servant's damage to [b]Tobias[/b] [dice]17[/dice] Resistance Table roll: Servant's damage 2 vs. [b]Tobias[/b]'s current HP 4 (40% chance) to knock out [b]Tobias[/b] [dice]18[/dice] Servant's initiative roll for DEX 11 [dice]19[/dice] Everyone else may act now. Those of you with DEX less than 11 still get your action in this turn. If your DEX is more than 11, you may act before she does next round. If your DEX is exactly 11, you should roll 1d100 for initiative. If this roll is less than 45, you go before her in the next round. If it's more than 45, you go before the current round ends. If you get exactly 45, you must roll off. Please make another 1d100 roll in that case, and I'll roll again for her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Vladd »

Peter stepped up and threw a punch at the woman. Even though she was an ugly brute it felt wrong, still combat calls for distasteful actions at times.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

Good Lord that's one ugly woman! thinks Sgt. Donald.

He advances to help Peter subdue her, aiming a blow with his riffle butt at her flank. Not to hard as he doesn't wish to cripple her but strong enough to, he hopes, drop her.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]

I don't know what skill controls clobbering someone with a rifle butt so apply the roll as you see fit.
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon heaved a sigh of relief. Opening doors at random felt like a game show where the prize was a first class trip to the looney bin. Well i made it this far, may as well keep up the streak. Gordon started climbing the stairs, keying the radio as he went "Third floor secured, moving up to the fourth floor now."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dr. Kirby rushed to the side of Tobias and quickly revived him. With the woman standing in the doorway, no more than two people could get at her at a time. Meanwhile, another door opened further down the hall and a younger woman in a nightgown bolted out of it and ran for another door at the end of the hall, just as it rounded the corner to the unknown. The Brigadier raced after her and tried to grab her, as did Evert. The Brigadier got to her first and wrapped his arms around her, clamping a hand over her mouth to keep her from screaming. The big woman took another swing, this one right at Donald.

Gordon soon reached the top of the stairs, which led into a large, dark attic. He was surrounded by various old boxes and trunks.
OOC,That would be the Large Club skill, which has a base level of 25%, so that attack misses. From your description, I gather you're trying to land a knockout blow, which is what she did to [b]Tobias[/b] (though he was injured enough that her punch would have knocked him out regardless with the damage she rolled). [b]Dr. Valerie Kirby[/b]'s First Aid roll (80% skill) on [b]Tobias[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Brigadier Crichton[/b]'s Grapple roll (25% base skill) to grab the servant: [dice]1[/dice] Servant's Dodge roll (22% base skill) to avoid Brigadier's Grapple: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Evert Jacobs[/b]'s Grapple roll (25% base skill) to grab the servant: [dice]2[/dice] Servant's Fist/Punch roll (55% skill) attacking [b]Donald[/b], knockout attempt: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Tobias[/b] is now conscious again and may act. [b]Donald[/b], you may roll Dodge if you don't want to take the punch, but then you won't get to attack. If you fail the Dodge roll or decide to just take the hit, I'll roll damage and see if you get knocked out. Nobody (other than [b]Gordon[/b]) should act yet unless you roll Dodge and succeed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon stopped at the top of the stairs, conflicted. The radio has been silent, and he was at the top floor of a mad mans house, alone. For all he knew, the others had been captured, or killed, or worse... Well, since im here, maybe I can find something useful in here. Gordon started opening boxes in hopes that he may find something to aid him if worse came to worse.
Handy,Heres a roll if you need it just to keep things moving, feel free to apply it to whatever you deem necessary [dice]0[/dice] HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!? I was just thinking to myself how wild it would be if i rolled a one as i was typing that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That will be a Luck roll. I'll let you know what you found soon, but another benefit of rolling a 1 on a Luck roll is that you might get to increase your POW! To do this, you should exercise your POW by making first taking 21 minus your current POW score (16) and multiplying the result by 5. This is the number you must roll against on 1d100, in this case 25. If you succeed, you gain 1d3 points of POW permanently!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

Spoiler:
Dodge for Donald (25%) [dice]0[/dice]
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

lucky ducky,Target 25 [dice]0[/dice] Damn so close :|
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gordon found an old sea chest in the attic and opened it. Inside were some books and papers, as well as a bag of small, smooth stones. The papers were yellowing, and the text appeared to be in Japanese. The books, however, were in English. One was a brown, leatherbound volume that said it was the diary of Captain Josiah Lake. Another was thick and had a black cover. The title was "Magick of the Sea." The trunk also contained a Webley revolver and several bullets.

The woman socked Donald on the temple, but it was only a glancing blow. He wobbled a bit but remained on his feet.
OOC,Damage to [b]Donald[/b] from Fist/Punch: [dice]0[/dice] Knockout roll (0/5/10% chance for 1/2/3 damage): [dice]1[/dice] [b]Tobias[/b] and [b]Peter[/b] may now act. [b]Gordon[/b], you may roll Other Language: Japanese to see if you can understand the papers. The base skill is only 1%, but you never know. You might just do it again!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon was just about to give up his search, when he stubbed his toe on an old sea chest. Funny, i don't remember seeing that chest before.... Opening the container, he found just what he was looking for. A powerful WWII era Webley Revolver sat on top of some old papers and books. Taking a glance at the papers, Gordon recognized the characters as being Japanese, and though he possessed no skill in the language himself, tried to make something out of the writing
Read Japanese 1%,[dice]0[/dice]
but was unable to decipher what the pages held. Picking up the revolver, Gordon began loading the hand cannon, happy as all hell to be able to pack some heat in the maddening silence of the mansion. "Christ i hope those boys are ok..."
Last edited by johnson41996 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The revolver is from WWII, not WWI. It was empty when you found it, and it will take a few rounds to finish loading it before you can begin glancing through the books. There's currently a combat playing out downstairs, so I'll have to pause you until that is resolved, as someone may say something to you on the radio that will cause you to change your course of action.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

:),ok sounds good to me, but my characters intellectual and inquisitive mind cant help but read the tasty forbidden knowledge in those books so i doubt they're gonna say anything to change my mind :D :D :D I went ahead and edited my post to reflect the round restrictions PS: does anyone in the group read Japanese?

Return to “Episode 5”