IC-Ep 5-Storming the Castle(Everyone else)

As UNIT's raid on Dunwich unfolds, disaster strikes. The opposition is prepared for their attack, and everything hangs in the balance of a battle that could go either way.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 5-Storming the Castle(Everyone else)

Post by Vladd »

Peter quickly climbed into the drivers seat of the APC closed the hatch, started the engine and slowly guided the vehicle towards the wall. "You know what" Peter announced to the world in general, "I've really missed this." The uniform and the feeling of controlling a military vehicle again brought memories flooding back, being a glorified policeman and hunting down the KGB's agents in the UK was ok but this was real action.
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 9 years

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon shook with frustration. "Damnit man, THINK." He said as he slammed his fists on the ground. Gordon took a few deep breaths to steady his nerves and tried to think of a way out of his situation.
Idea,[dice]0[/dice] Sorry im doing this from my phone today
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Peter[/b], it will take you a few rounds to get into the APC, start it up, and drive back to the others.
Gordon Baxter,The various books and papers might contain information about the stones that [b]Gordon[/b] had found with them, but now might not be the best time to study them. While the monster was busy slaughtering everyone else outside, he had a chance to slip out of this place without it noticing him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon assumed that the secret to the stones existence lay in the mysterious books he found with them, but doubted he had the time or means to study on them. He listened to the agonizing screams and tearing flesh coming from outside and shuddered, not wishing to imagine what could be causing the mayhem but knowing that he would more than likely have to deal with it sooner or later if he wished to live. Gordon looked at his fire arm and wondered to himself once again if a quick death by his own hand would be preferable to whatever the hell lay waiting for him outside the mansion. How in Gods name am i going to make it out of here? And when i do, how the HELL am i going to get past that... thing? Gordons hands clenched in frustration, his will to live colliding with the hopelessness of the situation. Gordon wondered to himself if he could slip away while it was distracted with its current victims. I probably had a chance to do so, but im sure that opportunity has passed... it was then that Gordon had a grisly idea. He blanched briefly at the thought of even considering such a thing, but that soon passed. Maybe i could take a hostage... make my own distraction...? It was a long shot, but it was all he had at the moment and at this point he would rather die anyway than sit on his hands any longer. Gordon packed his supplies, grabbed his firearms, and made his way down the stairs, knowing that one way or another, he was going to leave behind the man he once was in this mansion. He shuddered at the thought of who, or what, he would be when this was all said and done.
OOC,Yeah... I figured that they were useless without the book, i guess i hoped they could be weaponized in some kind of way. To much D&D lol :roll: So is it to late for me to escape while the beast is snacking? If not i fully intend to find a servant or something and send him/her out there to get munched while i make a break for it. Also, if i suspected there was a hidden passage that lead out of the mansion underground (which i do) how would i go about perusing that? do i roll something or would i have to search every room of the mansion?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gordon descended the stairs from the attic and reached the upstairs landing. A door led out into the hall, and the stairway continued downwards.

Peter threw open the hatch, climbed into the vehicle, and slipped into the driver's compartment.

"Sir, this is Priwate Novak," said Leonek over the airwaves. "They hawe us holed up in the Ship Inn and vant to negotiate. Vhat are your orders?"

"Tell them to call off their monster, and then we'll talk!" the Brigadier shouted into his radio. He drew his pistol. "Weapons ready, everyone!"

The enraged UNIT soldier continued firing at the oncoming horror. Six bullets struck it, but they didn't seem to do much more than make it angry. His rifle clicked empty as it strode into the view of those on the outside of the wall. The three others trapped within the wall kept desperately trying to get over it, to no avail.

The behemoth towered over the wall; it seemed to be as tall as the mansion! The wall would present little obstacle to it, as it could probably step over it without much difficulty, not to mention that its massive wings no doubt enabled it to fly. It was green, scaly, and hideous. Its arms bulged with muscles and ended in fearsome claws. Tentacles dangled from its squid-like face. It was absolutely the worst thing imaginable, and it was coming right the hapless UNIT team!
OOC,UNIT Soldier's Rifle roll (55 + 55 + 70 = 180% skill) shooting at the monster, ten round burst: [dice]0[/dice] How many bullets hit? [dice]1[/dice] Damage to creature from six 5.56mm NATO bullets: [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice] [b]Chad[/b]'s Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb over the wall: [dice]8[/dice] [b]Valerie Soames[/b]'s Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb over the wall: [dice]9[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Climb roll (50% base skill) trying to climb over the wall: [dice]10[/dice] [b]Tobias[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1d6/1d20, so you lose 1d6 Sanity if you succeed and 1d20 if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, please roll Idea. If you succeed at that roll, you go temporarily insane. Otherwise, you may act freely. If you want to shoot at the creature, the range is point blank. You also get +70 to your effective skill due to the creature's enormous size! This bonus is applied before doubling your base skill. [b]Gordon[/b], you don't know whether or not you have enough time to escape while the creature is preoccupied. You don't even know what it is! From your Idea roll, I'll let you know that if there is a secret passage leading out of the estate's grounds, the most logical place for it to be is the basement.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon continued descending the stairs, seeking the ground floor of the mansion. he would at least look and see what the situation was outside before making a choice between staying or running. Swearing to himself, he stumbled slightly in his rush to descend.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Tobias lands on the other side of the wall, stumbles and fights to regain his balance, then he races for the car before the fear makes his legs into jelly. He pulls open the car door, takes a deep breath, and turns round as he takes his gun and aims at... "Ye Gods! Rover's Mum!" Luckily, Tobias is saved from seeing the full horror as it is still camoflaged in the mist; he sees a huge hulking silhouette and a malevolent glinting eye. He fires three rounds straight up at the eye and then, without waiting to see the results, he jumps into the car. "Get the hell out of here Peter! Now!"
Rolls,Sanity (29) :25 1d6: 3 Glock (70): 50 1d10:6,4,9 (Not sure how to roll for more than one bullet) No joy at Orokos.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Dr. Valerie Kirby[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 54) for seeing the creature: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Brigadier Crichton[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 60) for seeing the creature: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]6[/dice] Idea roll (80% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good! [dice]10[/dice] Type and duration of temporary insanity: [dice]13[/dice] [dice]14[/dice] [b]Virgil Soames[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 54) for seeing the creature: [dice]2[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]7[/dice] UNIT Soldiers' Sanity rolls (current levels 45) for seeing the creature: [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] Sanity losses: [dice]8[/dice] [dice]9[/dice] Idea rolls (60% stats) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good! [dice]11[/dice] [dice]12[/dice] Type and duration of temporary insanity: [dice]15[/dice] [dice]16[/dice] [b]Evert[/b]'s Handgun rolls ((80 + 70) x 2 = 300% skill) shooting at the creature, point blank: [dice]17[/dice] [dice]18[/dice] [dice]19[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Damage to creature from [b]Evert[/b]'s first two shots, impaling 9mm bullets: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] UNIT Soldiers' Rifle rolls ((55 + 55 + 70) x 2 = 360% skill) shooting at creature, full auto, point blank: [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] How many bullets from each soldier hit the creature? [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice] Damage to creature from first soldier's 6 5.56mm NATO bullets, critical hits: [dice]8[/dice] [dice]9[/dice] [dice]10[/dice] [dice]11[/dice] [dice]12[/dice] [dice]13[/dice] Damage to creature from second soldier's 6 of 18 5.56mm NATO bullets: [dice]14[/dice] [dice]15[/dice] [dice]16[/dice] [dice]17[/dice] [dice]18[/dice] [dice]19[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Damage to creature from second soldier's 12 of 18 5.56mm NATO bullets: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice] [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice] [dice]8[/dice] [dice]9[/dice] [dice]10[/dice] [dice]11[/dice] Damage to creature from third soldier's 8 of 11 5.56mm NATO bullets, critical hits: [dice]12[/dice] [dice]13[/dice] [dice]14[/dice] [dice]15[/dice] [dice]16[/dice] [dice]17[/dice] [dice]18[/dice] [dice]19[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Stop attacking the creature," said Y'Hali over the radio. "Your bullets have no effect on it. Your only chance to survive is to lay down your arms and surrender."

"Bugger that!" shouted Sergeant Donald Forney. "Fire at will!"

Dr. Kirby screamed at the sight of the monstrosity, but she did not give in to panic. Virgil gaped at it in awe, but he too recovered quickly. The Brigadier, however, goggled. His jaw practically hit the ground. "Chap with wings..." he mumbled. "Five rounds rapid..." Then he broke and took off running down the road to the southwest. The first two regular soldiers who had made it over the wall trembled at the sight of the thing. "They're everywhere!" cried one, but the other instinctively took aim.

Tobias shot the creature in the face with his first shot, not far from the eye, but it didn't even seem to notice. Then three of the UNIT soldiers opened up on it. Two of them formed an extremely effective crossfire that sent many bullets into its gaping maw. It shrieked inhumanly, reeled, and tumbled backwards, landing with a thud. The ground shook with the impact.

"Well done!" cheered Donald.

On the far side of the wall, one of the UNIT soldiers and Valerie Soames finally made it over the top. Chad still scrabbled in vain, and the other UNIT soldier, seeing that his rifle was empty, drew his knife and began trying to hack at the gigantic corpse.

Peter returned with the APC, stopping where everyone was gathered, and Tobias was able to climb inside.

Gordon made his way down two more flights of stairs, reaching the floor on which he had entered through the kitchens. He knew the way out from here. The floor just above this one, where the shootout had taken place, would most likely allow him to access the front doors, but he didn't know exactly where to find them. Automatic fire echoed through the night as he descended. By the time he reached the lower landing, the guns had fallen silent.
OOC,Wow! Two natural 1's! I don't even need to roll the rest of the dice - that thing is dead! :shock: [b]Tobias[/b], your effective Handgun skill is actually at +70 due to the monster's huge size and then doubled again for point blank range, giving you a total skill of 280%. That makes your first shot an impale, for which you needed a 36 or less. I'll take the first two damage numbers added together to represent the damage caused by that shot, which doesn't actually hurt it. You don't even get to fire the other two shots. The creature is already dead before you have the chance. Chad's Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb over the wall: [dice]0[/dice] Valerie Soames's Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb over the wall: [dice]1[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Climb roll (50% base skill) trying to climb over the wall: [dice]2[/dice] Chad's Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb over the wall, next round: [dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Peter opened the hatch and carefully looked out, "Come on people let's move it!" He did a quick head count, "Who are we missing? Is anyone hurt?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Valerie Kirby rushed over to Valerie Soames and hugged her. "Thank you, my dear," said Mrs. Soames. "I was sure I was a goner back there."

Everyone climbed aboard the troop transport. "The Brig's scarpered," said Sergeant Forney. "The only other ones missing are Morrissey from my squad and Engraham, and Dr. Baxter of course." He peered out through the hatch. "There's Engraham now, coming over the wall. One of my soldiers has a twisted ankle, but everyone else is fine." Chad dropped down from the top of the wall and took off down the road to the southwest, following the Brigadier and screaming his head off. A short while later, the remaining UNIT soldier climbed over the top of the wall.

Gordon retraced his steps through the hallway and the kitchen, emerging from the side door of the grounds. He could see the dead monster in the distance lying on its back, but he (thankfully) couldn't make out the details from here. The only member of his team he could see was a UNIT soldier, who was on top of the wall, swinging his leg over it to climb to the far side.
OOC,Chad's Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb over the wall, fifth attempt: [dice]0[/dice] UNIT Soldier's Climb roll (50% skill) trying to climb over the wall, two rounds later: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Gordon was stumped at the sheer size of the beast he saw in the distance and was thankful that the details were hidden from his view. Spotting the soldier climbing the wall, be broke off at a dead run to catch up, shouting "You there! Stop! Wait for me!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The soldier waved Gordon forward and remained on top of the wall. "Sarge, Baxter's coming!" he called.

"Stay there and help him over the wall, Morrissey!" yelled Donald. "Everyone maintain radio silence! Best if the Sea Devils think we're dead."

Gordon made his way to the wall, giving the dead monster a wide berth and not looking at it too closely. Morrissey reached down and helped him to the top of the wall. Then the two of them dropped down outside and got into the APC. Morrisey shut the hatch behind them.

"Right, let's get out of here!" Donald said to Peter.
OOC,[b]Gordon[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing the creature. Sanity loss is 1d6/1d20, so you lose 1d6 Sanity is you succeed or 1d20 if you fail. If you lose 5 or more, please roll Idea. If the Idea roll succeeds, you go temporarily insane.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Peter pulled down the drivers hatch, put the engine in gear and guided the heavy vehicle away from the wall hopefully towards safety. "Everyone alright back there? Have we got everyone? Because I'm not stopping until we reach friendly territory."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gordon nearly became completely unhinged when he saw the creature, dead though it was. He was somewhat shaken, but he retained his faculties.

"We've got everyone except Engraham and the Brig," said Donald, "and they ran the way we're going. We'll catch up with them."

Sure enough, the APC soon reached the barricade that UNIT had set up. It was just past the point where Monastery Road intersected another road heading north back towards Dunwich, and it blocked travel to the southwest. The UNIT soldiers on guard duty made an opening wide enough for the vehicle to pass through, and Peter drove on to safety. Brigadier Crichton was already there, and he seemed to have recovered from his break. Chad Engraham, on the other hand, was curled up in a ball and crying. It remained to be seen whether he would ever recover.
OOC,Episode 5 concludes in the following thread.
Epilogue
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 5”