Ch1: Disaster!

In the late 22nd Century, there is a small human colony on Titan. Operational for six months, life is tough and challenging, but strange geological activity threatens to unearth alien horror and madness!

Moderator: Supercape

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Ch1: Disaster!

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam brings the sedatives with her before following Seth from a distance. She still doesn't know the circumstances of how Ron got shot, but she's pretty sure Seth didn't want to kill him, or he'd have finished him when he had the chance and wouldn't have helped to treat him. All the same, she's just as glad she's behind him rather than in front of him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Seth turns round and mimes to Sam who is following a distance behind. "I can see him. Follow quietly." He really doesn't like the look of the fellow and that torch could be fiercesome. Better to follow George to see what he was up to. Seth continues quietly to follow George.
ooc,When do you need another sneak roll? When the circumstances change?
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

George shuffled his way to the main reactor panel, only a few dozen yards away. He seemed preoccupied, his head jerking and constantly making a "bzzzz" noise between his teeth. He looked almost epileptic, the way he moved.

By the main control panel he put down his tool kit and started to burn away with his plasma torch at the metal plates that shielded the main components. He seemed oblivious to the sparks and embers that fluttered onto his overalls and skin, burning both.
Spoiler:
No need for another roll!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have to stop him before he makes it blow," whispers Sam. "Try the sedatives first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Gee, thanks." Mutters Seth but it's the only option and he quietly pulls out the sedative gun. He creeps towards George who is busy destroying the control panel, there isn't much time if Seth is to stop George from doing something serious to the reactor; Seth raises the sed-gun and attempts to inject it into George's back.
roll,I rolled 44% but I don't know what to apply it to - so do your worst, Supercape!
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

The makeshift sed-gun plunged into the unsuspecting man's back. There was a grunt, and a pshhh sound as pure Omnicalm poured into his veins.

George spun round, unsteady. he was not particularly strong or tough - enough to get him onto the programme but nothing special, like his intelligence. His plasma torch flared and wobbled, sprouting and spitting its white hot heat. As George fell to the floor he waved it wildly, shooting out its full power - an explosion of heat and light into Seth...
Spoiler:
Id say "Medical Injector" is a base 25% skill but double your chance of "hitting" due to George being unaware. For the sake of fun, you can check that new skill!

George will be out for the count but he has a chance (25% again) of hitting you with the plasma torch. [dice]0[/dice]

yoikes, ill give you a chance to dodge that (dodge skill) but if not, you can take 1D10 heat damage, and a luck roll to avoid facial burns or something else horrible you think of (APP loss, SAN loss, etc etc)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Seth feels more than sees the fierce heat of the plasma torch as it carves a fiery slice through the air. He ducks instinctively and rolls across the floor. He sits up and pats his head; there is a strong smell of greasy burning and he finds his hair has a frazzled furrow right down the centre. "That was way too close." He looks a little like a mad scientist now.
roll,Dodge (34) Luck (80): 29,29
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

George Lang had a strange look in his eyes as he slumped to the floor.

"They are coming..." he mumbled, before his eyelids slid shut, and he passed out from the sedatives into an deep slumber. He did not quite look at rest, with the odd twitch and groan.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Samantha rushes forward. "Well done, Seth!" she says. "Are you okay?" She checks to make sure Seth isn't injured, then she ties up George and examines the metal plates to see the extent of the damage, trying to communicate with Beta as she does so. "Hattie, it's Sam. Our friend sedated George before he could blow up the reactor. Ron is hurt bad, but he'll survive. He's under sedation too. We'll have to come back to Beta, but I'm no medical expert, so I don't know whether Ron can take a T-Prop ride. We may need the ATV."
OOC,Communications roll (55% skill) to get the message through to Beta. [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Hattie's relieved voice came through over the comm system:

"Sam! Good to hear your voice! I am currently tied up with a blood transfusion to Victor. It think we need another five to ten minutes. I'll get to the ATV as soon as I can. ETA 45 minutes. Do you think you'll manage that long?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think so, Hattie," replies Sam. "I'll make sure the reactor isn't in danger. I don't think he had time to cause any significant damage. The good news is that Ron hasn't lost any blood. Plasma wounds are instantly cauterized."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Seth has been investigating the reactor. He looks up, "I reckon I can fly that T-prop of yours; it sounds similar to what I've flown before on Earth. I don't know how many it fits though. It doesn't look like George here did much damage to the reactor but I can't be sure." He walks over to George and leans in close. "How long do you think those sedatives will last? He was spouting all sorts of nonsense before he was knocked out - something like "Theyrrreee Commmmiiing!" He mimics a strangled voice. "Maybe it's an invasion of aliens about to hit us?" He jokes.
Mech roll,Reactor investigation(50): 85. Idea roll for aliens(80): 07
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"I'll finish up here as fast as I can. I'll see you all within the hour. Don't move Ron unless his condition is stable. Hattie out."

The radio transmission ended with the familiar crackle of the transmitter being released.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The aliens were here first," says Samantha. "We're the invaders here. I've got no idea how long the sedatives will last, but hopefully he'll be out for a while." She finishes examining the reactor for damage, then she searches George and makes sure he's disarmed.
OOC,Repair roll (60% skill) examining the reactor: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

When Sam has finished, Seth says, " Do you think we should carry George along to where Ron is and wait for Hattie there? It's not going to hurt George and we can keep an eye on Ron - it'll be a while before she gets here."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, we'd better keep everyone together where we can keep an eye on them all at the same time," says Sam. She scoops up George in her muscular arms and slings him over her shoulder. "We don't want to leave Ron unmonitored with his injuries, and we don't want to leave George alone in case he comes around. He removed his chip, by the way. I found it in the vent shaft."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Seth picks up George's tools and trails after the burly engineer. "You all have chips? Makes sense I suppose. So you can tell where all the other missing crew are then? So are Ron and George normally weird like this or has something happened to them? I mean, you and Hattie seem okay, but all the gents on this moon are on a scale of bonkers to downright crazy dangerous. Even the Doc back at the other base is suspect if you ask me. But these two - jeepers!"
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Whilst Titans gravity made for unfortunate difficulties with physical health (largely compensated by monthly injections of Osteogen V and exercise regimes) it did make lifting bodies easy work. Sam had no problems hauling George Langs unconscious body back to Ron, who lay similarly but mercifully knocked out by the painkillers Seth had given him. He was breathing in slow, shallow breathes. His body looked an absolute mess, and there was the faintest unpleasant smell of burnt human flesh.

"Please be advised, Commander Ronald Drakes chip has sustained minor damage and readings are intermittent. Vital signs are still present but urgent medical attention is recommended..." said Boss is pleasant but dutifully sombre tones.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, they aren't normally like this,' says Sam. "Maybe it's because of the aliens, and it might not even be intentional on their part. We really know nothing about them yet. As to why not everyone is effected, perhaps it only affects men and not women. I'm sure Boss can locate all of the other crew members, as long as they still have their chaps and are within range. Boss, where are all of the surviving crew members located?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

A little while later...

....back at Beta base Infirmary

"All present chips accounted for" said Boss, coincidentally answering Sam's question.

"The Infirmary isn't built for this!" complained Doctor Bloom.

"George Long, stable vital signs, sedated with Omnicalm, chip has been removed and inactive...."

"Commander Ronald Drake, stable vital signs, serious plasma burns, heavily sedated with painkillers, chip active..."

"and Victor Bergman, stable vital signs, mild anaemia..."

"Yes, I'm awake" said Victor, weakly. He looked paler than normal.

"I don't know what happened though. Just a load of garbled messages from the away mission. Then George came back, screaming that something was out there, then he stabbed me..." he groaned.

"I am afraid I cannot account for or detect the chips of Commander Wu or Geologist Gina Croft" said Boss, pleasantly. "The chip has only a short range and unfortunately the current electromagnetic storm makes communications difficult...last known location was at the earthquake epicentre..." said the ever mild voice of Boss.

Return to “Titanic Horror”