Ch1: Disaster!

In the late 22nd Century, there is a small human colony on Titan. Operational for six months, life is tough and challenging, but strange geological activity threatens to unearth alien horror and madness!

Moderator: Supercape

Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Ch1: Disaster!

Post by Supercape »

Seth was hauled into the ATV, the liquid ethane evaporating off all three of them. Normal airlock procedures had to be bypassed. It wouldn't do to strike a match in the ATV until the atmospheric scrubbers had properly got to work.

It had been a cold experience for Seth, but despite the shakes, he looked uninjured.

A beeping from the ATV alerted Hattie and Sam to a message. It had arrived whilst they were out, its content distorted by the EM Storm on Saturn. It was hard to make out clearly...
Spoiler:
Mayday Mayday!

This is Victor............................gone to hell. Don’t know how long.................. is dead.....don’t know where he is, but.........me. I’m bleeding badly......

We.......giant cube.........on earth. Must be extra-terrestrial. Might.....caused the.................It had unearthed something…magnificent, or terrible......... carved…impossible angles…like a maze....

......saw something move.........some bird maybe, except........ We.......run.........didn’t make it. Got fried somehow. Gina….......... what happened to Gina. George and I got............................babbling.............snapped. Can’t say I................myself............... “They are buzzing in my head…Yuggoth….Yuggoth….”

Didn’t realise.......had gone. When we got back to Alpha base he..............stabbed.....

Where is Ron?...........interference. Got to............hide................ I won’t get lucky a second time….

Message End.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam expertly cuts through the EM interference like it wasn't even there, reaching out to contact Alpha Base first, then Beta if there is no response.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Seth pulls the tarp from his head, "Ye Gods! Don't you have a better landing strip than that? Who's supposed to be controlling this air space? Where the hell is this place anyway; it's blooming freezing?" The two suits have their backs to him, concentrating on a static-laden message. As soon as they turn to look at him, they see an undernourished man with vomit down his front which is already starting to permeate the atmosphere. He doesn't look like anyone of space-corps type.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Sam cuts through the static despite the furious EM flare.

From Alpha base, just a prerecorded looped distress signal, code "Omega-3". Indicating a team member in life-threatening peril.

From Beta base, you pick up a signal from Dr Bloom, blurting frantically.

"Sam? Hattie? Anybody? Can you hear me...zzzzt....I can't seem to pick up anything...damn EM flare...zzzzt....Mander Wu is dead...Drake has gone off to Alpha base to see what happened. Apparently George has gone insane, attacked Victor, maybe killed him. He had me pop open the weapon box. Please come back soon! I'm going to try and contact Drake..."

The message was a little distorted but clear enough. Unfortunately, Doctor Capser Bloom was a physician not a technician, and he was unable to pick up any return signal through the interference.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Back to Beta," says Sam, wheeling the ATV around and heading back towards base at the highest safe speed. She calls back to the stowaway without looking at him, keeping her eyes on where she's going. "We're on Titan, and the supply module malfunctioned and crashed. It was also supposed to be unmanned, but I think we've got bigger worries than that now. "
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Titan?! You've got to be kidding me! Feck. Those depot jokers back on Mars really know how to shanghai a guy. Jeez, what a mess. God, I stink. More than usual." He shouts above the rumble of the ATV, "So, er, who are you two then? Sounds like you'be got a nice reception waiting back at that base of yours."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm Samantha Golightly," says Sam, still watching her surroundings as she drives. "I'm an engineer. And this is Hattie Barton, biologist. Nice to meet you, though I wish it were under better circumstances, Mister..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Hazard... Seth Hazard. I'm er, an odd job man, handy to have around. Nice to meet you Miss and Miss. You know, there was still a lot of stuff in that capsule we can salvage, can you put a mark on it so you don't lose it in a storm or whatever? We should go back for it soon as the mess at the base's been sorted." He looks out of the window at the barren landscape flashing past. "This is a new facility isn't it? What's the purpose for it? Mining?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Among other things," says Sam. "We also do research here. Yeah, this is a new colony. It's been here for several months, but I just got here myself about a week ago. We have the coordinates of the supply module, so we can come back for the stuff later - whatever wasn't ruined by exposure to the atmosphere, that is. It's not like anyone's going to come by and take it, so there's no rush. Since you're stuck here for the time being, I'm sure we'll have no problem finding work for you, especially since we're now very shorthanded."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Yeah, well I still expect decent board and lodging in return. And keep me out of the mess if you don't mind, it's not my fault the module crashed. I'm pretty handy with computers and such though if you need a hand with that kind of thing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a very useful talent," says Sam. "Don't worry, you'll get food and quarters as good as the rest of us get." Whether or not that was decent, she left unspoken. "Oxygen too. You're going to need that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Seth frantically grabs a hold-loop as the ATV flies over a bump, "Hey, don't spoil me! I'm not used to luxuries you know." He watches the blur outside for a bit, "How long before we reach your base? I'd like to get out of these stinking overalls."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Though the man is older than her, he reminds Samantha of a child asking "Are we there yet?" Of course, she wants to get back just as much as he does. "Beta is less than half an hour from the crash site," she says. "We've only been moving for a few minutes. I guess we could play a game to pass the time. I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with...R."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Seth continues to look out of the window. "Rocks." He says flatly and changes subject. "You ever heard of the Romas? Space Gypsies some call them. They weren't always in space, obviously. In the old days they used to live on the roads, Old Europe mostly. Hazards are one of the old families; go all the way back to the 17th century. That makes me a pure bred." He nods to himself. "Still roaming." And he puts his hand to his neck subconsciously.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Got it in one," says Sam when Seth first speaks. "Well, that's just about exhausted the possibilities for 'I Spy' around here. I've heard of Space Gypsies, but I've never met one before. It makes sense the Roma would take to the space lanes after having spent all of that time wandering around on Earth. There's a lot to see out here. I've only barely scratched the surface. I haven't been in space all that long. Where else have you traveled?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Oh, er, all the main hubs; Luna, Mars, Belter, Earth north and south and most of the stations too; even Sol Orbital and briefly that one on Oberon before it was shut down. You been out here long?" It's unclear whether Seth is asking about Titan or Space in general.
ooc,Super cape, please edit locations if necessary as I'very obviously just made them all up!
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

The journey back was through haze and cold. Ethane rain, cracked Ice and rock. Even at safe speeds, one had to be alert. Powerful overheadlights sliced through the air to illuminate the way ahead.

The Electromagnetic storm was hardly waning. Static was the only message through the communications system, despite best attempts to cut through the disturbance.

Beta base eventually swam into view. From the exterior, everything looked fine...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I just arrived on Titan last week," says Sam. "This is my first trip into space." She steers the ATV towards the airlock so they can enter Beta base.
OOC,Is there an airlock big enough for the vehicle to fit inside, or are we going to have to make another run for it?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

The Airlock on Beta seems intact. As you pull up the cluster of domes you can see no sign of damage, or, for that matter, life. The lights are still on outside.

Due to the severe insulation needs of the base, it is windowless - entirely sealed in a double layer of strong high tech plastic foams, which have extraordinary insulating properties. This means you can't see inside...or visa versa...
Spoiler:
The bases have several airlocks that can be used by the ATV or by people. The T-Props cannot "directly" link with them. sign. A cursory multiscanner roll (no roll needed) will show that power and heat and light are all present in the beta domes; all is apparently well...
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Seth leans forward to peer over Sam's shoulder. "Everything look okay? Let's get in there - I stink."

Return to “Titanic Horror”