Chapter 2: The City

In the late 22nd Century, there is a small human colony on Titan. Operational for six months, life is tough and challenging, but strange geological activity threatens to unearth alien horror and madness!

Moderator: Supercape

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: The City

Post by Mr. Handy »

Since Hattie is in charge, Sam says nothing and defers to her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Don't! Don't shoot! Or whatever it is, you do with that finger."

This definitely wasn't what Hattie was expecting contact with the races of the Universe to be. And she had had no formal training in this. Sweat beaded on her brow and she turned a furtive glance towards Sam before looking at the Jane-creature again.

"I can't decide this for my companions. We'll need to discuss it. Would you be so kind as to give us an hour?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

There was a pause, as the winds of Titan blew uncaring across the ice and rock.

"I shall wait..." same the reply.

The horror seemed to power down, or go into hibernation. The flesh seemed to freeze still, the liquids slowed to a turgid pace, so slow they hardly seemed to move at all, lest one examined the tubes most closely. The eyes lost any shine they might have had, and the whole body became motionless, staring to infinity.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

A shiver runs down Hattie's spine and she looks at Sam.

"Let's go inside."

She starts moving back the way they came and patches into the station's radio system.

"I want all personnel to convene in my office, ASAP."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam hurries alongside Hattie. "Maybe we should meet in the infirmary instead," she suggests when they are well away from the abomination that used to be Jane. "Not everyone in there can move around so well, and we don't want to leave anyone injured unattended."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I agree, let's hurry back indoors."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

A little later

"Jesus..what is that thing?" said, Bloom. He was staring at the grainy black and white air lock camera, where the alien cyborg thing had frozen in what looked like hibernation. It was possibly dead. Who could tell? it just looked like a hunk of deformed frozen flesh, pipes and nails.

"I mean...I'm not sure I want to know..." he said, wiping his brow.

His patient remained under heavy sedation.

"Give them rest" he explained. "I don't think Ron's state of mind is too good. Between Bob Dylan frying him and the pain killers he is on. And, to be honest, I never liked the guy anyway" he said, jittery.

"Don't record that!" he added, for Boss' benefit.

"I am afraid I am programmed to record everything, Doctor Bloom...."

"Well put it under classified patient information then! Not to be released to Ron as it would damage his mental health...."

"Anyway" he said, returning to the conscious crew members. "I don't want to expose him to anything that would fracture his already unhinged mind. Heavy sedation for now..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, obviously he can't go anywhere," says Sam. "Jane - or that thing that used to be her - said that our communications with Earth would be destroyed, as the aliens don't want their presence known. We already sent the message at the speed of light during a lull in the EM storm, and it should have gone through. Maybe they did block it somehow, or that could have been a bluff." She tries to think how long it would take a ship from Earth to reach Titan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Hattie sighs and looks at Ron's body for a moment, lost in thought.

"No ship from Earth or any of the outposts could reach us in time, Sam, we both know that. I wasn't lying when I said it outside. I don't think this a group choice we can make. The way I see it, there are only two options. Either we choose conflict or we choose to go with the Jane-thing and see what these Mi-Go are up to. I can't, I won't force anyone to choose either way, to each his own choice."

She looks at everyone present and continues.

"I'm going to try and make it to the Shelter. There is a ship there that could help us break orbit. If we manage to engage the autopilot. And if we manage to distract those Mi-Go long enough..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know a ship won't reach us in time," says Sam. "I was thinking more in terms of making sure Earth is warned in case we don't make it back. There is one way we could distract the Mi-Go: if at least one of us goes to the city while the rest go for the ship. Whoever does that clearly won't be leaving on it, though. They'll also need an ace in the hole. These Mi-Go looked vaguely fungoid, and you're a mycologist. Maybe you could whip up some sort of fungicide weapon that anyone going to the city could smuggle in, just in case."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I'll need to have a look at that weapon, maybe there's some trace material on there. If I find out their structure, we might be able to engineer a viral agent that would react with their spoors and infect every individual it encounters. If we had a few months and a dedicated research team, that is. We have an hour before the Jane-machine will want an answer. I'll see what I can scrounge up."

Hattie hurries around the lab, gathering some gear and places the weapon under an isolated microscope and issues some orders before turning her attention to the microscope.

"Dr. Bloom, prepare commander Drake for transportation. Sam, you can drive the ATV, Seth, Bob, whatever, you're a pilot, you said, think you'll be able to course correct in case something goes wrong with the autopilot?"
Biology 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by DrPeterson on Tue May 17, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You got it, Hattie," says Sam. "I'm ready to get off this rock as soon as you are."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

(Seth has returned quietly and been watching the playback from the camera.)
He sighs, "I'm not an astro-pilot; gravity only. But I've been on and around various craft all my life so I'm probably your best bet. It'll have E-EAP anyway if it's to get you off this rock: I've activated those once or twice. The T-prop is all ready to fly; we just need an excuse to use it without being swarmed by these Mi-goes."
E-EAP,Emergency EVAC Auto Pilot

Return to “Titanic Horror”