OOC Stuff

In the late 22nd Century, there is a small human colony on Titan. Operational for six months, life is tough and challenging, but strange geological activity threatens to unearth alien horror and madness!

Moderator: Supercape

Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Re: OOC Stuff

Post by Supercape »

Sorry for delay on this; it is partially because I have been very busy (And slighty unwell) the last few days, but also because I have had a few bites on more players. I will get to this but if you could bera with me another day that would be appreciated!
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

No probs; it's the bank holiday anyway!
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

I've reworked Hattie and I think the maths work out.

She's less of an addict and more of a science boffin.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Welcome aboard and thanks for taking grasp of Hattie.

I'lll let you guys decide the next step! :)

I am going for a fairly slow and oppressive build up here, but as always, feedback if you have ideas or suggestions.
Clammy721
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Clammy721 »

Hello to all. This is my first game here so I'm a bit green but I'm very much looking forward to new adventures. Looks like I'll be stepping into the shoes of base Physician, Casper Bloom.

Supercape, please take a look at Casper's Investigator sheet and make sure all the numbers look ok. For skills, as Credit Rating has been dropped for this game and there's no real need for Latin, I substituted Library Use and Chemistry as Occupational Skills. Let me know if I goofed and anything is off.

I figure as a Physician, Casper regularly consults his medical reference books and journals. Even though paper hard copies of books may be far outdated at this point in the future, Casper has an affinity for the old fashioned. Hence the Library Use skill. With the Chemistry skill, while pharmacy covers the prescribing of various drugs/medicines and the Medicine skill covers the physical application of the medicine on a subject, I reason with Chemistry that this not only gives the user a physical understanding of the various chemicals,compounds and substances that make up medicines but also better allows analysis of various samples, coming up with new medicines when improvisation may be needed and any tests that may be needed to perform on the staff. That sort of overlaps with Biology a bit, but at least with Chemistry, Casper can possibly develop some devious poisons or explosives if the need comes up :D .

Don't hesitate if you think this doesn't fit or make sense. I'm open to criticism and any other ideas.

Character Name: Casper Bloom
Mission Role: Physician
Mission Time (Months): 5 months

STR: 8
CON: 12
SIZ: 9
INT: 16 Idea: 80
POW: 14 Luck: 70
DEX: 15
APP: 13
EDU: 17 Know: 85

Damage Bonus: 0

Hit Points: 11

Magic Points: 14

Maximum Sanity: 99

Current Sanity: 70

Background:

Although fairly diminutive in stature and build, What Casper lacks in strength and size he more that makes up for with his suave handsome looks and intelligence. Hailing from Providence, Rhode Island, Casper earned his medical degrees from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, the city he still calls home when back on Earth. Particularly skilled with his hands as well as his mind, he can usually read those around him like an open book thanks to his extensive psychological background. With a calming, passive personality, he can put his patients' and crewmates' minds at ease effortlessly in times of stress and trouble. Among some of his less finer qualities, he has a tendency to procrastinate just a tad which can occasionally put him in a bad spot but which he usually manages to escape with what seems like ease. And being this far from home and in such a dangerous environment, he has no current access to one of his nastier habits of which he knows and accepts, fine tobacco cigarettes. This can leave him somewhat irritable at times and helps contribute to his occasional bouts of procrastination. Casper has a bit of an old soul so he favors many old fashioned items, styles and techniques.

Skills:
OCCUPATIONAL Skills in Bold, Personal Interests in Italics

Anthropology (01%)-
Archaeology (01%)-
Art (05%)-
Astronomy (01%)-
Biology (01%)- 31%
Chemistry (01%)- 26%
Climb (40%)-
Communications (20%)- 40%
Computer Use (01%)- 21%
Conceal (15%)-
Craft (05%)-
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)-
Disguise (01%)-
Dodge (DEX x 2=30%)-
Drive ATV (20%)- 45%
Electrical/Mechanical Repair (10%)- 20%
Electronics (01%)-
Fast Talk (05%)-
First Aid (30%)- 65%
Geology (01%)-
Hide (10%)-
History (20%)-
Jump (25%)- 45%
Library Use (25%)- 35%
Listen (25%)-
Locksmith (01%)-
Martial Arts (01%)-
Medicine (05%)- 70%
Navigate (10%)-
Occult (05%)-
Op Heavy Machinery (01%)-
Own Language: English (90%)-
Persuade (15%)- 35%
Pharmacy (01%)- 51%
Photography (10%)-
Physics (01%)-
Pilot T-Prop (01%)-
Pilot Starship (01%)-
Psychoanalysis (01%)- 61%
Psychology (05%)- 70%
Scanning (20%)- 30%
Sneak (10%)-
Spot Hidden (25%)- 35%
Swim (25%)-
Throw (25%)-
Track (10%)-

Melee:

Fist/Punch (50%)-
Grapple (25%)-
Head (10%)-
Kick (25%)-
Knife (25%)- 50%

Weapon Skills:

Plasma Pistol (30%)-

Equipment:

Multiscanner
Multitool
Old Fashioned Doctor's Kit containing some antique instruments: Scalpel (1d4)
A Small Selection of Antique Medical Reference Books From Casper's Personal Library
Last edited by Clammy721 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

All adds up to me!

A few suggestions:

Smoking might have to be modified. Titan rains petrochemicals. Whilst the bases do of course filter out petrochemicals in their airlocks, I would have thought smoking would be an undue risk... I'm open to suggestion on that of course. One other issue would be how he actually gets his cigarrettes. I doubt they would be approved for regular transport to Titan (for safety concerns and ultimately for weight concerns, everything in space travel is stripped back) but he could be cultivating his own plants in the hydroponics dome maybe.

His pharmacy skill is probably unduly low for a top class medic on a base. Again, I don't object but a 50%+ skill would be warranted normally I think. Thats just a gut opinion though, I certainly won't object.

Id suggest something on the lines of alongside the standard High tech medkit, he keeps an old fashioned doctors kit (with the trusty scalpel, Damage 1D4 small knife).

Overall though this looks like a cool character, I hope he can jump in imminently!
Clammy721
Layman
Layman

Post by Clammy721 »

Supercape wrote:All adds up to me!

A few suggestions:

Smoking might have to be modified. Titan rains petrochemicals. Whilst the bases do of course filter out petrochemicals in their airlocks, I would have thought smoking would be an undue risk... I'm open to suggestion on that of course. One other issue would be how he actually gets his cigarrettes. I doubt they would be approved for regular transport to Titan (for safety concerns and ultimately for weight concerns, everything in space travel is stripped back) but he could be cultivating his own plants in the hydroponics dome maybe.

His pharmacy skill is probably unduly low for a top class medic on a base. Again, I don't object but a 50%+ skill would be warranted normally I think. Thats just a gut opinion though, I certainly won't object.

Id suggest something on the lines of alongside the standard High tech medkit, he keeps an old fashioned doctors kit (with the trusty scalpel, Damage 1D4 small knife).

Overall though this looks like a cool character, I hope he can jump in imminently!
Got it. That all sounds fine to me. My thinking on the cigarettes was that Casper only smokes in his own quarters and, as long as he has consent, in the community area. He only brought 4 cartons of cigarettes from Earth. With 10 packs of cigarettes in each carton that would give him a total 40 packs that he smokes sparingly, in times of undo stress and what have you. But what's funny is I was also thinking of giving him an old fashioned doctor's kit rather than the whole cigarettes thing. He keeps this as one his sort of prized possessions and still uses it. So I'll go ahead and re-work that pharm stat and I think I'll make that change from the cigarettes to the doctor's kit. I'll post as soon as I get the changes done. Let me know if you think of anything else. And thanks for the suggestions.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

All works for me. Let me know when you are ready and Ill post PC in thread and you can jump into IC and OOC threads! :)

Id personally suggest shaving off some plasma pistol skill; its not so much a combat thread, and you would probably need some military type background to be skilled in it. But of course its entirely your call.

If you haven't already, give the other threads a scan. No need to study, just skim so you orientate yourself. Bloom has made one fuzzy communnictaion over the radio so have a look at that.

You also get some privvy information
Spoiler:
Its all pretty much as the thread indicated. Alpha base went to explore the earthquake, and it all went to hell. Mission commander [Mara Wu] was killed. You only got garbled messages how and why. Beta Base commander [Ronald Drake] (the second in command) made you unlock the plasma pistol locker [which requires two people] and armed himself with a plasma pistol. He has gone off to Alpha base on foot (of course, with an exo suit) to find out what he can. The garbled messages suggest that Chemist George Long went mad and attacked Astrophysicist Victor Bergman in Alpha Camp.

You havent heard squat from Alpha Camp/Base since.

You may make a psychology roll to get a feel for Drake in the crisis.
Clammy721
Layman
Layman

Post by Clammy721 »

Ok, I edited the post with Casper's character info. Take a look and see what you think. I shaved a few points from a couple other OCC skills to boost pharm to 51%. I dropped the points on the plasma pistol and put them into persuade. And

I edited his background to appropriately reflect the lack of access to tobacco products at the base while giving Casper his antique doctor's kit.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Looks great to me.

Ill presume Dr Blooms old fashioned Medical Kit also contains some advanced drugs / healing equipment (and thus, according to rules for this thread, can heal 1D6 rather than 1D3 Hitpoints).

Feel free to add in something like "Carefully smuggled cache of 10 finest cigarrettes for emergencies" or something! :)

Ill put the sheet up in CHaracter thread, and...I think you may be up immienently in IC!

Also throw me that psychology roll!

Psychology Roll for Dr Casper Bloom
Spoiler:
Whilst you can't put your finger on it, When Ronald Drake unlocked the Plasma Pistol locker and marched to Alpha Base, he seemed odd; a kind of determination rather than fear; although he was clearly anxious underneath.
Finally a reminder; every character bar Seth (Bob Dylan) Hazard is "chipped", a small thing inserted in their forearm. This acts as a short wave transmitter and monitors a few vital life signs. Aside from its use in tracking people, it could also be used as an emergency communicator (for a few minutes, limited range) if you don't mind speaking to your forearm.

Carving the chip out is entirely possible if you have a knife or the like. It costs 1 HP if you make a medicine roll, or 1D3 HP if you fail a medicine roll (may be bonuses or penalties to that roll depending on if you are carving it out of your own arm, painkillers, not having a good sharp knife etc). I'm not sure anybody would want to do that (yet), but its there for you! I suppose it might also be possible to implant a chip in Seth if you guys wish.

Just a heads up for that!
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Did we lose the good doctor already?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

It may be...

Hasnt replied to my PMs for three days.

I suggest giving this 24 hours and then pressing forward, although I am more than open to suggestion.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

What about NPC-ing him until his player shows up, and if he doesn't, there's no harm done and the show can go on.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Ill do that if no show by tomorrow?

Although, frankly, having two new players join this thread and promptly disappear without a word has made my patience extremely thin!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

NPCing him sounds like the best move. He was an NPC to begin with anyway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

We can do a mini-break at this juncture if you wish for repairs, medical check over etc.

For Sam to stabilise the reactor needs a repair roll; its 98-99% functional. Sam can of course repair it fully, the roll it to see if she can repair it in a few mimutes rather than needing an hour or two (I presume there is a clock ticking).

Aine, Seth I imagine will be clean on medical check up but if you want to add anything for flavour, please do so.

MrHandy, T Prop can be up and running!
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Hattie will have proposed to dub the T-Prop of Beta base "Sagan I".

Is there any possibility of us hailing Drake?
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

DrPeterson wrote:Hattie will have proposed to dub the T-Prop of Beta base "Sagan I".

Is there any possibility of us hailing Drake?
Sagan it is!

You can certainly try hailing Drake. Unfortunately, no answer (spoooooky....)
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Just a heads up: I've just booked a holiday from Sept 20th to Oct 11th and I doubt I'll be able to get online easily. Supercape, will you be able to npc Seth? Or incarcerate him somewhere but I'd rather he carried on the fun. Sorry about the timing but it's been due two years! I'm loving the game by the way.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Whereareyougoing?Whereareyougoing?Whereareyougoing?Whereareyougoing?Whereareyougoing?Whereareyougoing? :D

Return to “Titanic Horror”