Mountains of Madness

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:34 am
by Tabs

Re: Mountains of Madness

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:20 pm
by Tabs

Turn 1, Action Phase

Gain 1 Focus, and move to Arkham.

Agnes Baker came to London in her pursuit of information regarding the ancient world of Hyperborea. It has been a hopeless pursuit, and now she realises that the vision she had—her past as a sorceress—was simply a dream, a consequence of a blow to the head. Three weeks later she waits tables in Cod Cafe, a “greasy spoon” near Putney Bridge, and saves the pennies for her return fare to Arkham.

She serves the dapper gentleman.

“Thank you, my dear,” he says, and Agnes almost sighs when she hears his familiar American twang.

“Sir,” replies Agnes, “if you only knew how homesick I am.”

“Ah, a compatriot, well, you must return home!” he advises, and adds in a whisper, “This awful country is ruining my digestion.”

“I will, soon, just a few dollars more and I will have enough.”

“Good to hear it, miss!”

Later when Agnes returns to the American’s table, she notes with a smile that most of the fish is untouched upon his plate. She picks up his tea cup and cold plate, and reveals a crisp five pound note beneath.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Prelude
Ursula Downs leads the way through the ruins of the ancient lost city, followed by her fellow explorer Sir William Brinton. The dashing Englishman admires her as she strides forward in her dark green short-sleeved blouse and khaki shorts. They approach the large, square stepped pyramid in the center of the fallen metropolis. The one intact building, it has a truncated top with a huge stone altar in the middle that is illuminated by the light of the full moon. "This is incredible!" says Ursula, basking in the moonlight. "I knew it would be an impressive sight, but never in my wildest imagination did I think we'd find something like this!"

"Indeed, my dear," said Sir William. "Shall we take a closer look?" He offers her his arm, which she gladly takes. The two of them ascend to the summit.

The altar looks even more ominous up close. There are eight horns jutting out, four on the corners and four more between them on the altar's front and rear sides. "Look. there are gutters at the base of the altar," says Ursula, pointing them out. "They surround it, and four channels branch off and go down the sides of the pyramid. These brown stains must be blood. I think they once offered sacrifices here," she adds with a shiver.

Sir William circles around to the other side of the altar and peers down at the gutters there. "Someone still does. There's some fresh blood on this side."

Shadowy figures in black hooded robes that conceal their faces emerge onto the flat top of the pyramid on all four sides and rush forwards! A scream dies on Ursula's lips as one of them grabs her from behind and clamps a hand over her mouth. She stomps on his instep with her boot, forcing him to release her, only for two more to seize her by the arms. Meanwhile, Sir William decks one of their assailants, but another three quickly subdue him. Both of them are dragged kicking and screaming to the altar, where they are laid out on its surface and each bound tightly by their limbs to four of the horns as they struggle in vain. Lying side by side, they look at each other, tears filling their eyes. "I'm sorry I brought you here, Ursula," says Sir William. "I-" His voice is cut off by a gag being stuffed into his mouth. Another one cuts off Ursula mid-shriek. Then one of the robed men strokes her hair. She whimpers, helpless, as he reaches for her belt.

"Stop!" booms a commanding voice. Another man, this one taller, enters her field of vision. "The Bloody Tongue prefers virgin sacrifices." He takes out a vicious obsidian dagger from the folds of his robes and holds it aloft, looming over Sir William and chanting in a language that isn't like any Ursula has ever heard before. Panic floods over her as she is certain that they will die here tonight. Her heartbeat races out of control, terror overwhelming her. Tears flow freely down her cheeks.

No! she thinks. I will not go quietly! It takes every effort of will, but she manages to calm herself down and relax her muscles. Since she had been straining when their attackers had tied her up, the bonds are a little looser on her now. She uses her excellent coordination to slide her right hand free. Once that is done, she manages to untie the rope around her left wrist and then frees her ankles. So far the robed men haven't noticed, as their attention is fixated on chanting and watching Sir William, waiting for the blade to come down as its wielder reaches a crescendo.Though she could have easily slipped away, she could not leave her friend here to die. As the knife starts to come down, she has a sudden burst of adrenaline and lunges for the killer, interposing her body between the weapon and Sir William. He redirects the obsidian dagger at her heart, but she twists to the side at the last second and it pierces her shoulder instead. He releases the hilt and grabs her with both hands, pinning her down on the altar. "The Bloody Tongue will have its due!" he bellows. Ursula sobs again as everything starts to go dark and her life ebbs away.

With one last desperate rush of strength, she wrenches the dagger free of her shoulder and stabs him through the heart. Coughing up blood, he collapses on top of her and lies still. She grunts, rolling his corpse off of her. Then she uses the blade to sever Sir William's bonds. He springs to his feet, takes her by the hand, and flees with her down the side of the pyramid. The other cultists are still in a frenzied state of chanting, not even aware of what is going on around them. As Ursula and Sir William flee through the city, removing and discarding their gags, there is an exteremely loud peal of thunder from the direction of the pyramid. It looks like the sky is opening up, and some indistinct form reaches through from somewhere else. The chants turn to screams of horror. "I guess he wasn't a virgin," she mumbles.

"Ursula, are you all right?" asks Sir William, squeezing her hand.

"I'm fine..." she manages before collapsing into his arms.
Ursula awakens lying on the ground in a cave where a fire is blazing in a central pit. Sir William is roasting some meat on a spit there. Her blouse has been removed, revealing her bra beneath, and her wound has been bandaged. She instinctively crosses her arms over her chest. "I'm sorry, Ursula," says Sir William, noticing that she is awake. "I had to remove it in order to treat your injury." He turns his head aside.

"No, it's okay," she says, lowering her arms and sitting up. "I don't mind terribly if you look." Sir William comes over, bringing the meat and offering her some. She gratefully accepts. "Thank you, Sir William. For everything."

He gazes into her eyes and takes hold of her hand. "You're welcome. It's the least I can do. I just wish I could have protected you better. Some knight I am." He takes a deep breath, then lets it out. "I love you, Ursula."

Ursula stares in shock. "I...I don't know what to say. Is it because I saved your life?"

"No, it's more than that. I've always loved you. I was afraid to say anything, but our brush with death made me realise that I needed to tell you, lest I never get the chance. And I think you must feel something for me too. You could have saved yourself, but you almost gave your life to rescue me."

"Oh, Sir William..." Words fail her, so she wraps her arms around him and lets him embrace her.

"Ursula, I will follow you anywhere, even to the ends of the Earth. I never want to be apart from you."

"All the same, let's go somewhere safer next time. Like Antarctica."

Sir William laughs heartily. "I just adore your sense of humour." He presses his lips against hers.

Ursula closes her eyes and sighs. I wasn't entirely joking... she thinks.

Turn 1 Action Phase
Ursula Downs guides Sir William Brinton back through the African jungle and south to the busy port of Cape Town, where she immediately arranges to book passage on a ship to Sydney, Australia. The two of them spend a lot of time during the voyage getting to know each other better, but it is over all too soon. Ursula stands by the rail at the fore of the ship as it approaches Sydney Harbor. The facade of the famed Sydney Opera House dominates the skyline, and the setting sun makes it even more wondrous. She leans back, letting the gentle sea breeze ruffle her auburn hair.

"Beautiful," says Sir William, coming up to stand beside her.

Ursula turns to look at him. "Yes, the Opera House is certainly an amazing sight."

"I wasn't talking about the Opera House." He puts his arms around her and kisses her again.
OOC,Action 1: Character Action: Move: Heart of Africa -> 15, then Prepare for Travel: Acquire Ship Ticket Action 2: Travel: 15 -> 18 -> Sydney [Ship Ticket]

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:43 am
by Tabs
Spoiler:
I wish that I'd thought to make use of the Prelude card, well done!

Agnes Baker leans out over the rail of the S.S. Carpathia and surveys Southampton dock. She feels a tap on her shoulder--it's her gentleman benefactor.

"I'm glad you made it aboard," he says, and extends his hand which Agnes gladly shakes, "my name is Arthur Danforth."

"Agnes Baker," she beams.

Turn 1, Encounter Phase

"Mr. Danforth, this is where I grew up," says Agnes, indicating the rectory. The new friends continue with their stroll through Arkham's old cemetery. They rest against a lichen encrusted headstone, the sunshine is pleasantly warm and the cemetery a quiet spot, excepting an angry robin who twitters at them ceaselessly.

Agnes flickers her eyelids closed, allowing the sunlight to sparkle and jump inside her head.

She descends into a series of tunnels hidden beneath the cemetery. The stonework indicates these twisting passageways are as old as the city itself. She searches the dark halls, looking for some indication of their purpose.

Observation test [dice]0[/dice]

Spend Focus to reroll [dice]1[/dice]

Agnes finds a sheaf of musty papers. Using her cigarette lighter to read them, she realises that the papers link the city's founders to witchcraft; a sketch, like da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, slips out and glides to the earthen floor. She continues reading, the documents hint at a coming doom. She digs her nails into her palms, ferociously praying that the doom will not come to pass.

Lore test -1 + spend 1 Health for 2 additional dice [dice]2[/dice]

Advance the active Mystery, Eldritch token placed on "An Expedition Compromised." :D

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 1 Encounter Phase
Ursula Downs and Sir William Brinton disembark. A boy stands on the dockside selling the evening paper, and Ursula buys a copy. The front page headline reads "BRUTAL AXE MURDERS CONTINUE," and below it, in smaller print "Third Woman Found Dismembered, Decapitated." She shudders and skips over the gory details. Another article lower down on the page piques her interest. It details unexplained events surrounding the Miskatonic University expedition to Antarctica, where crew members have gone missing and then been acting bizarrely after returning to camp, and some of the samples and strange artifacts they've uncovered have disappeared. This could be worth investigating, she thinks.

The two of them make their way to a hotel and approach the front desk to check in. "How can I help you this evening?" asks the perky young woman working there. "One room or two?" Sir William hesitates.

"We'd like two rooms," says Ursula, careful for her reputation, "but please make them adjoining, with a connecting door."

"Of course, we can arrange that."

An hour later, Ursula is relaxing in the bath in her room with her eyes closed. Without warning, the sound of splintering wood comes from her room's door. Startled, she sits up and her eyes fly open to see a wild-eyed, unkempt man wielding a bloodstained axe who has just chopped his way in! "HELP!" she screams as he rushes at her, waving his axe overhead. She sinks down into the water to avoid the blow, but the blade still cuts into her shoulder - the one that had not been wounded yet. He pulls the axe up again to strike, and once more Ursula is sure that she is about to die.

"Ursula!" cries Sir William from the far side of the connecting door. The doorknob rattles, and then she can hear him ram his shoulder into it. Like a fool, she had forgotten to unlock it.

The maniac is distracted momentarily by the sound and turns to look, and that is all the opening that Ursula needs. Thinking quickly, she snatches up the washcloth and wraps it around the bar of soap, gripping the ends in her hand. Then she stands up and swings it at his head with all her might. The crazed man staggers and loses his grip on the axe, and Ursula grabs it and slashes him open with a single blow. Breathing heavily, she wraps the towel around herself just as the connecting door flies open and Sir William bursts into the room. Sobbing, Ursula throws herself into his arms and lets him hold her.
OOC,Thank you, and well done advancing the Mystery! I think your special ability of adding two dice to a Lore check only applies when it's the effect of a Spell. Fortunately, your first three dice were enough to succeed, so you shouldn't lose that Health point after all. Where is the new Active Expedition? Maniac Horror check (5 dice: Will 2 + 1 [Improvement] + 1 [Sir William Brinton] + 1 [Maniac]): [dice]0[/dice] Maniac Fight check (2 dice: Strength 3 - 1 [Maniac]): [dice]1[/dice] Maniac defeated. 1 Health lost. Axe Asset gained. I'd like my Other World Encounter next, please.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 am
by Tabs
ooc,Your story is The Shining-like, was Shelley Duvall in the tub? I can't remember. [quote] I think your special ability of adding two dice to a Lore check only applies when it's the effect of a Spell. Fortunately, your first three dice were enough to succeed, so you shouldn't lose that Health point after all. Where is the new Active Expedition?[/quote] Good spot! Record amended. The new Expedition will be at The Himalayas. EDIT: just glanced at the FAQ, Ursula's passive Focus ability [u]does[/u] allow a free reroll. :)

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 1 Encounter Phase
A strange mist billows up from the corpse of the madman, causing both Ursula and Sir William to become dizzy and then collapse on the floor. They awaken some time later in a stone passage at the top of a mysterious stairway shrouded by swirling fog that descends into semi-darkness. Ursula is still holding onto the axe and clad only in her towel.

"Where are we?" asks Sir William, shaking his head. He climbs to his feet and helps Ursula stand. "How did we get here?"

"I haven't the foggiest," she says, "but we should do what we're best at - explore!" She starts down the stairs, and he follows close behind her.

It takes a long time, but they finally reach a landing. Their way is blocked by a pair of wrought-iron gates, flanked by two statues of absurdly grotesque creatures with glowing red eyes. "Who would seek entrance into the lands of Slumber?" booms the voice of the one on the left.

"I guess that would be me," says Ursula, "Ursula Downs, famous explorer."

"I've never heard of you," says the one on the right. "Turn back. It is too dangerous to proceed!"

"Too dangerous!" echoes the other statue.

"I've been kidnapped and nearly sacrificed by a vicious cult," Ursula says, her voice filled with determination, "and just a moment ago nearly chopped to bits by an axe-wielding maniac. This is his axe." She raises it to show them. "I survived and he didn't. I think I can handle danger."

"You lack the knowledge needed to survive in the lands ahead!"

"I know all sorts of things!" protests Ursula. "I know about the Bloody Tongue."

"What do you know about it?"

"Well, it likes virgin sacrifices, for one thing."

"Very well, you may proceed." The gates open of their own accord. "However, if you do, on your own head be it!"

The two of them proceed through the open gates and continue down the stairs through the intense fog. They could see nothing. Finally, the fog clears and they find themselves on the deck of a wooden galley that is flying through the night sky! Ahead the full moon is visible, and it seems to be growing larger - as if the moon itself is their destination! Before either of them can react, they are surrounded by hideous creatures with tentacles and eyestalks, all carrying nets. They fling them over the two explorers, trapping them!

"More slaves!" burbles one of the things. "More slaves to torture on the moon!"

"I'm nobody's slave!" roars Ursula, slicing through the net with her axe. She lays into the beings with gusto, chopping off tentacles left and right. The beasts flee, leaping overboard and leaving a large oaken chest behind them. Ursula opens it, revealing mounds of gold and jewels.

A dark-skinned man in a fancy outfit emerges onto the deck from a hatch below. "What are you two doing on my ship?" he says, drawing a fine sword from a jeweled scabbard at his waist. "Stowaways! Get off my ship!"

"We can pay for our passage," replies Ursula. "How much does it cost?"

"Exactly that much." The captain points at the treasure chest.

"Done - if you throw in some clothes."

"Agreed - though you look perfectly lovely as you are."

Sir William puts a protective arm around Ursula. "She is already spoken for," he says.

"The best ones always are," sighs the captain.
Some time later, the galley lands on the surface of the moon. Ursula, now wearing a magnificent green dress, leads Sir William down the gangplank. The galley rests in a large crater containing a mysterious stone archway. Visible through it is a flickering image showing the hotel room in Sydney. "We've got to close this thing," says Ursula. "What if those creatures come through it into our world?" She takes the axe and swings it at the archway's keystone, knocking it loose and causing the whole structure to collapse.

The lunar surface begins to shimmer and fade, replaced by a plateau in a vast icy wasteland. Ursula shivers uncontrollably, and her teeth chatter. The dress is better than the towel, but it's still not suitable for the bitter cold. Sir William hugs her tightly. "We will have to keep each other warm," he says.
OOC,It's been a long time since I've seen The Shining, but I don't believe she was. Will check (2 + 1 [Improvement] +1 [Sir William Brinton] -1 [Other World Encounter] = 3 dice) to enter the Dreamlands: [dice]0[/dice] Reroll, spending 0 Focus: [dice]1[/dice] Fight check (3 dice) battling the Moon-Beasts: [dice]2[/dice] Glad I got that reroll! Gate closed. [b]Ursula[/b] moves to Plateau of Leng. The board is now trouble-free, at least until the Mythos card is drawn.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:38 pm
by Tabs
Turn 1, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: blue constellation
Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue Space 9.
Spawn Gates: Rome (red sun) and Ghost.

Image Image

Text Effect: Agnes Baker gains a Funding Condition.

ooc,We've made the perfect start, long may it continue! I thought that Agnes could gain 1 Focus and use her ability, and then have an encounter at Arkham? And who is to be the Lead Investigator?

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You can be lead investigator again. On Turn 2 I'll use my Character Action to move to City of the Elder Things and perform the Local Action there to try to get a Clue, then Rest (my Health is too low for my tastes, and I don't need Focus as much). Then I'll have a Location Encounter there and use my Mineralogy Research to try to get two more Clues. I have 4 Observation, so at least one of those will hopefully succeed and allow me to finish off the first Mystery. On Turn 3, I can do another Local Action if I have at least one Clue left over to get an Artifact. Then, unless the second Mystery requires my presence in Antarctica, I plan to go back to the Plateau of Leng and travel to another Gate. I have a decent chance against the Ghost, and it won't endanger my Health.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:39 am
by Tabs
ooc,Sounds perfect. However, Ursula cannot use Mineralogy Research, the Antarctica side board has locations only (not Wilderness, City or Sea Spaces); but, if she defeats the ambushing Cultist (see Mystery) she'll gain a random Ally.

Turn 2, Action Phase

Gain 1 Focus and Component Action Lore -1 [dice]0[/dice]

Inside her apartment, which is above a row of shops in French Hill, Arkham, Agnes Baker sits cross legged upon her oriental rug, a cup of coffee steaming nearby. She traces the pattern of the rug with her hand in its thick pile, brushing gently to and fro, and relaxes.

A fly buzzes, trapped against the window pane. She goes to open the window and free the insect but pauses instead: an electric blue line runs along the swirls and shapes of the rug. Her mind floods with memories of forgotten lore. . . .

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 2 Action Phase
Looking around, Ursula notices an archway behind her similar to the one she had destroyed, though this one looks much larger and far sturdier and there is no image displayed in it. "This thing may be a way out of here," she says with a shiver, "but I've no idea how to make it work."

"There's no time to stick around and figure it out now," says Sir William. "If we don't find shelter soon, we'll freeze to death!"

Ursula places a hand against her forehead to shield her eyes from the wind and peers into the distance. Her eagle eyes spot the outlines of oddly shaped buildings on the horizon, and she points at it. "Over there, it's the skyline of a city! But that's impossible! Then again, everything that's happened so far is impossible. Let's run there. It'll help us stay warm and get us there faster." She takes her love by the hand, and the two of them race to their goal.

Before long, they reach the outskirts of the strange city, just as the sky begins to darken. The cyclopean buildings are made of massive stones that look far too heavy to have been moved there, yet there they are. The angles look all wrong. The two of them take shelter in the nearest building, a huge pyramidal structure, and they feel instant relief. "It's not so cold in here!" exclaims Sir William. "But how?"

"Never mind how," says Ursula. "I'm just grateful." She examines the walls with a keen eye, and he joins in. "Look, pictograms!" She follows along the wall, surveying each image. "I think they tell a story. They show a bunch of bizarre creatures that look like five-sided barrels with appendages sticking out building this city! They seem to be directing black, blobby creatures. I think they're using them as beasts of burden. This next panel shows the blobby creatures attacking their masters, and then the city lies empty. But this last panel shows their masters returning in large numbers! Whatever could it mean?"

The two of them continue to explore the building, and they find signs of recent human presence. A fur-lined sleeping bag and a backpack lie on the floor, and Sir William opens it. "Food!" he cheers. "A Thermos flask!" They settle down to a feast of pemmican, washed down with water.

Ursula yawns, utterly exhausted, and leans back in Sir William's arms. "Let's go to bed," she says.

"Together?" asks Sir William, a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Well, there is only the one sleeping bag, and while it's not as bad as it is outside, it's still somewhat chilly. Like you said, we need to keep each other warm."

"I can't argue with that." The two of them squeeze into the sleeping bag and fall asleep with their arms wrapped around each other.
OOC,Action 1: Character Action: Move: Plateau of Leng -> City of the Elder Things, then perform Local Action Observation check (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice) at City of the Elder Things [dice]0[/dice] 1 Clue gained. Action 2: Rest. 1 Health gained.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:48 am
by Tabs

Turn 2, Encounter Phase: Arkham

Cult secrets . . . Observation [dice]0[/dice]
Spend Focus [dice]1[/dice]

Image Image

Horror 2 +1 [dice]2[/dice]
Combat, Storm of Spirits 4 +2 [spend 1 Health] -2 [dice]3[/dice]
1 success, 1 Damage; card flipped 1+: The spirits siphon the creature's lifeforce, feeding it to you. If you defeat the Monster recover 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
~
There is a knock on her apartment door. "It's me, Agnes, it's Arthur, would you like to go for a picnic in the woods?"

She opens the door whilst brushing out the creases in her dress--she had been shaking uncontrollably, like she was having a fit upon the rug. "Mr. Danforth, yes--I mean, yes please!"
~
Arthur Danforth opens the checkered cloth and allows it to float down upon the grass. Agnes unloads the wicker basket: tea cups and plates, cucumber sandwiches, and little pink cakes.

"All quite perfect, thank you," says Agnes, resting on one arm and admiring the array of forget-me-nots nearby. She glances up at Arthur. "Mr. Danforth, whatever is the matter?"

"I was just thinking about the Miskatonic University expedition to Antarctica," answers Arthur, "there has been no radio communication with them for a while now." They look at each other, Agnes wonderingly--Arthur explains, "My brother is with the expedition."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Arthur." She rests a consoling hand upon Arthur's.

In the silent moments that follow, Agnes spots some scrapings on a tree trunk: presumably where two lovers have engraved their initials. She wanders across; can she guess who they are? "WB 4 UD" she reads. Beyond the lover’s tree is a camp fire surrounded by logs. "Some kids had a party here last night, no doubt," she thinks, and she smiles to herself, remembering good times in her youth.

A pile of branches, cut recently because of their curling, green leaves, lie beside the camp fire. She scuffs at the saw dust smeared bark with her sandals. It moves—the pile of branches moves! Agnes turns back to Arthur, an incredulous remark upon her lips.

The naked hag who rises before Agnes is utterly unbelievable. Its mouth opens in a silent scream before it lunges at Agnes with brown, decayed claws which scrape wickedly down her leg. She screams—aloud—and does a dead faint, falling flat upon the flowers, and dreams, in that instant, of a cathedral-like hall filled by a vaporous, many-armed monstrosity who she commands.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:28 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 2 Encounter Phase
In the morning, Ursula and Sir William have just finished eating breakfast when a big bear of a man in a parka bursts into the room, his eyes wild. "Shoggoth!" he screams, and then he proceeds to spout more nonsensical-sounding words.

"That's Professor MacGuffin!" cries Ursula. "He's one of the missing members of the Antarctic Expedition. There was a picture of him in that newspaper. These must be his things." She goes over to him and places a hand gently on his shoulder. "Calm down, Professor. Please tell me what's the matter."

"Shoggoth shoggoth shoggoth!" he yells, seizing her by the arm and dragging her from the room.

"Hey, where do you think you're going with my girl?!" exclaims Sir William, chasing after them.

Nothing Ursula does brings the man to his senses, and she recoils in terror. "No, let me go!" she shouts, struggling against the mad professor...or is he? She looks into his eyes and senses that he is not himself, that he has somehow been possessed, but she has no idea how to set him free. At the same time, he looks back into her eyes and seems to be aware that she knows. He wraps his huge hands around her throat and begins to strangle her. She has no choice but to take her axe and chop him nearly in half.

Sir William catches up and embraces Ursula. "Are you all right?" he asks.

"No.." she says, sobbing and rubbing her neck. "I've just killed a man, a man who didn't deserve to die. He was being controlled by something...something alien. Oh, Will, what have we stumbled into?"
OOC,Oof, poor [b]Agnes[/b]! I didn't do so well, either, but I did at least manage to finish the Mystery (as of the end of the Mythos phase). Influence-1 check failed. 0 Focus spent to reroll, failed. 1 Sanity lost. Hallucinations Condition gained. 1 Clue spent. Ambushed by Cultist. Lore-1 check failed. Combat check succeeded. Cultist defeated. Eldritch token placed on Mystery.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:50 am
by Tabs
ooc,Our fortunes will improve!--although, saying that, Turn 2 saw Agnes gain a Spell and Ursula complete the Mystery requirements, so not too bad. :)

Turn 2, Mythos

Advance the Omen: red sun; Doom advances 1 (16 down to 15).
Monster Surge: Wendigo -> Rome.

Image Image

Spawn Clue: Tunguska.
Text Effect: Draw and resolve another Mythos card.

Advance the Omen: blue constellation [left hand]
Monster Surge: Gate: San Francisco (green comet), Cultist.

Image Image

Spawn Clue: Space 16.
Text Effect:

Image Image

Which one do I choose? These Tasks become more powerful the more Eldritch tokens or Monsters are placed on them. Benefits include defeating monsters, decreasing Doom or advancing the Mystery. Sealing the Old Ones looks a good 'un, expensive but potentially very useful.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sealing the Old Ones looks like the better choice, especially for [b]Agnes[/b]. She can always generate new Spells and is great with Lore. What's the second Mystery? If I don't need to do anything in Antarctica for it, it looks like I'll be returning by way of San Francisco instead of Rome. I'm not too keen on fighting that Wendigo, and maybe I'll get an Ally out of that Cultist this time.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 am
by Tabs
ooc,Sealing the Old Ones it is! I reckon that 3 Eldritch tokens should be my aim.
Mystery solved (1 of 4). And the new one:

ooc,Agnes needs Health. My plan is: Rest and cast Healing Words (Eldritch token on to Sealing the Old Ones), and then move to Space 6; have a General Encounter at the City. If Ursula does go to San Francisco, Agnes, in Turn 4, could Trade to Ursula her Ally Danforth?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks, that sounds good to me! I think I will go to Frisco, as I need more Allies (and I'd rather not give up the one I started with). I'll use my first Action to try for a Clue in City of the Elder Things, as I'll need a couple of those too. Do you want to remain Lead Investigator?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:28 am
by Tabs
ooc,Game mechanics--urgh! [strike]If Ursula moves to Frisco Turn 3 and has a Gate encounter, she'll have to, if she wants to, whizz back to the Plateau of Leng, before Agnes can Trade in Turn 4. How about: Rest and cast Healing Words, and cast Conjuration; have an Arkham Encounter.[/strike] Start again. Turn 3 Agnes gains a Train ticket, moves to Frisco; Cultist (gain an Ally), close Gate and whizz to Leng. Pray she doesn't lose 3 Health in the encounter. Ursula s/be Lead Investigator for Turn 3. Phew! :) What do you think?

Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Most of that sounds good to me, but [b]Agnes[/b] should go first just in case you fail to close the Gate. If you succeed, I'll use my first Action to try for a Clue and my second to move to Leng and Rest, and we can meet there and exchange stuff. I can then head for Lake's Camp and pick up another Clue along the way. If you fail, I'll use my second Action to move to Leng and use the Local Action to try to get to San Francisco to close the Gate and meet you there. If you fail and I go first, I'll be stuck waiting in Leng and wasting valuable time. You're definitely better at using Lore against the Cultists than I am, so you should be the one to do that.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:28 am
by Tabs

Turn 3, Action Phase: Arkham

Gain 1 Train ticket, and move, spending ticket, from Arkham to San Francisco.
~
Agnes Baker pops into Arkham's Train Station.

"Hi, Bill," she says, "a ticket to Frisco, please."

"Why you going 'cross country, Miss Baker?" says the Ticket Master as he stamps and signs a slip of printed card.

"The conversion or murder of a deluded sociopath, and the probable teleportation to another dimension." "Eh?" says Bill, cupping his hand behind his ear. She smiles. "Oh, you know, family wedding, the usual kinda thing."

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Action Phase
"We can get through this together," says Sir William, rubbing Ursula's shoulders. "What happened was not your fault. He would have killed you if you hadn't killed him first. Whatever's going on, we can resolve it. We're just going to need more information, and we're going to need help."

Ursula nods. "We have to figure out how to free people who are being controlled," she says. "And we need to find a quicker way out of here. I don't fancy trudging across the ice until we find the expedition. Maybe there's some way to activate that archway through which we arrived. There could be more information in those pictograms."

The two of them begin once more to examine the murals. "These images show the aliens returning to this city," she says, "but it's still deserted. Could they be showing what will happen in the future?"

"I think you're right," says Sir William. "Maybe there's some way we can prevent it from happening. Look at this series. I think it shows how they enslave their puppets. There's some sort of ritual depicted here."

"If it's followed in reverse, it could break the control!" She kisses Sir William, then goes back to her examination. "And look over here! It shows the archway, and there's another ritual depicted that they use to travel through it! I think we've got what we need now." She takes the late professor's parka and wraps it about herself while he takes the backpack and stuffs the sleeping bag into it. "Let's leave this city on the edge of forever."

The two of them retrace their steps back to the barren plateau and the gateway that standsin the middle of it. They carry out the ritual instructions depicted in the city, and a shimmering image comes to life showing a city that was a mix of old and new. "That's Rome!" Ursula exclaims. "I reocgnize the Coliseum."

"I am the Guardian," a gentle voice speaks into Ursula's mind. "Through me you can reach all of space, all of time." The image fades, replaced by a fog-shrouded, hilly city. A streetcar is climbing one of those hills, its bell audible through the portal.

"And that's San Francisco! Come on, let's go!" She grabs Sir William by the hand and leaps through the archway with him.
OOC,Action 1: Local Action: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4819226/]Observation check (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice) at City of the Elder Things, Turn 3 (4d6.hits(5)=3)[/url] 1 Clue gained. Action 2: Character Action: Move: City of the Elder Things->Plateau of Leng, then perform Local Action: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4819227/]Lore check (3 dice) at the Plateau of Leng, Turn 3 (3d6.hits(5)=1)[/url] Move: Plateau of Leng->San Francisco Do we trade anything now? I think it's best if [b]Agnes[/b] attempts to solve the Mystery, as she has better Lore and is more likely to free the Cultists. In that case, she should keep [b]Danforth[/b], but I can give her the Clue I picked up (and she can find another in Antarctica on the way).

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:02 pm
by Tabs
ooc,A hiccup. Trade is an Action and we have none left, so if Agnes moves to Plateau of Leng Turn 3. . . . How about Ursula stays in the City of the Great Race, gains a Clue or Artifact, and meets up with Agnes Turn 4?

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I've already rolled my dice, so it's too late to take back my Actions. I think you should just go ahead, deal with the Cultist and the Gate, and go to Leng anyway. You should be able to get two Clues while in Antarctica, but it might be hard with only 2 Observation.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 am
by Tabs
ooc,[quote]I've already rolled my dice, so it's too late to take back my Actions. [/quote] Yes, you're right. Anyhow, I woke up with a better idea: Agnes stays in Frisco, Turn 4 she Trades a Clue with Ursula before jetting off (figure of speech) to Miskatonic Outpost, using Aquire Assets (see Legend), that way she'll be closer to Lake Camp as well.

Turn 3, Encounter Phase: San Francisco

Image Image

Free the victim's mind . . . Lore 4 -1 [dice]0[/dice]

. . . your body rots from within Strength 2 -1 [dice]1[/dice]
. . . illness worsens . . . Influence 3 [dice]2[/dice]
Lose 2 Health and

ooc,Oh dear! Agnes is down to 1 Health. If there is a Reckoning on the next Mythos card she's done for. :cry:

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That is awful! Both of the green Mythos cards (without Reckonings) dropped last turn, and one of the yellow ones (with a Reckoning) was drawn on the first turn. That leaves another yellow and a blue (Rumor, no Reckoning) in the first set, which gives you a 50/50 chance. I'll try my luck with the Gate now to see if I can close it, but I won't go to Leng. Instead I'll stay in San Francisco, going first on Turn 4. If [b]Agnes[/b] survives, I'll use my first Action to trade with her (she needs both of her Actions on her own turn, as the card for that Mythos phase will have a Reckoning for certain if this one doesn't. She'll need to Rest first of all. Then she can use her second Action to Acquire Assets (using Funding if needed) and move to the Miskatonic Outpost (I completely forgot you can do that). If she doesn't survive, I'll stay where I am the next turn (using a Rest Action and one other Action that doesn't require me to move) so I can encounter her. Then I'll have to go to the Miskatonic Outpost myself, most likely taking a Bank Loan, on Turn 5. You can choose the order of your Conditions' Reckoning effects if there is one, so you have a chance to flip Funding before you go down. I don't know what's on the other side of the card, as I've never gotten Funding before, so I'm not sure if it will help.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 pm
by Tabs
ooc,I want Agnes to live! but an encounter with her in hospital may retreat Doom. ;)

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Encounter Phase
Ursula and Sir William appear in a mist-shrouded alley in San Francisco through a whirling vortex of alien energy. A big man then stumbles out from it, cradling a dying woman in his arms.

"Quick, she needs help!" cries Ursula rushing over to assist. However, she and her paramour are caught up in the vortex and pulled through it once again.

They find themselves on a barren purple plain. It is night, and the sky is full of stars - as well as flying creatures that look like crosses between insects, crustaceans, and mushrooms. "That one star looks bigger and brighter than the others," says Sir William. "It's not part of any constellation I know, and it's not Venus. You are."

"That's the sun!" exclaims Ursula. "Which means we're on another planet, much further away from it than Earth." She glances behind herself. Whatever portal they passed through is no longer there, but she does see a city of green pyramids in the distance, at which she points. "That way! I've noticed those creatures are avoiding it. We'll be safe from them there."

"Yes, but will we be safe from whatever they're afraid of?" asks Sir William.

Ursula doesn't respond, afraid of the answer herself. Instead she leads the way there. Before long they reach the city. In the exact center of it is a mysterious box, which Ursula snatches. Before she can look inside, there are a series of rumbling noises coming from one of the pyramids.

"Hide!" hisses Sir William. Working together, the two of them find a small dome nearby with a narrow entrance and crawl inside. The sounds get closer, and Ursula trembles until they start moving away. Soon they stop entirely, and the two of them emerge.

"I have to know what's inside that pyramid," says Ursula. They venture into it and find another mystical gateway. Ursula repeats the ritual she had learned in the city in Antarctica, and they activate the portal and pass through it, closing it from the other side.
OOC,Will check (2 + 1 [Improvement] + 1 [Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Other World Encounter, Turn 3: [dice]0[/dice] Observation check (3 + 1 [Sir William Brinton] -1 [Encounter] = 3 dice), Other World Encounter, Turn 3: [dice]1[/dice] Artifact gained. Gate closed. Depending on what the Artifact is, I may want to go back to Leng after all (especially if it boosts my Lore or generates a Clue). I might even have found a Gate Box. I accidentally rolled one too many dice (forgot about the -1), but I still succeeded since my success was on the third die. I didn't even need to use my free Focus reroll, but it might be useful in the Mythos Phase.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:34 am
by Tabs
ooc,Well done Ursula with that Gate! The Artifact: it's a cool weapon. And I lucked out on the Mythos card.

Spawn Clue: Space 6.
ooc,If Ursula stays in Frisco, and wishes to chat with Agnes. . . .

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Action Phase
Ursula and Sir William pop out of the portal in the exact same location they left. They could have gone to Antarctica, but they have to try to help the woman. Though they spent a while on the alien planet, no time appears to have passed here. They assist the man carrying her, who introduces himself as Danforth and the woman as Agnes Baker, bringing her to the hospital. As they walk, all of the stars suddenly fall from the sky, vanishing into the San Francisco fog. The night has never been darker.

While Agnes recovers, Ursula fills them in on everything she's discovered and the progress of her journeys so far. She also opens the box, which contains an odd and powerful-looking projectile weapon. Its stylings remind her of the flying five-sided creatures on the murals in Antarctica, just as the pyramids where she had found it were similar to the ones in their frozen city.

"When you're well enough," says Ursula, "you should organize an expedition to Antarctica to stop the creatures from taking over the minds of the members of the Miskatonic Expedition. I have to do something about the darkness. I can keep you informed of my progress via radio."
OOC,Action 1: Trade with Player (1 Clue given) Action 2: Travel: San Francisco->6 Hooray, [b]Agnes[/b] lives! :D Really I needed to decide where I was going after I saw the Artifact but before I knew anything about the Mythos card, but I would have stayed given that the Artifact won't directly help me solve the Mystery, so that's what I'll do. It might have been a good idea to go to Lake's Camp in Turn 3, but I think we'll do just as well this way, plus I got an awesome weapon! It's even better in conjunction with the Axe's special ability, as if I botch completely I can give up some Sanity to reroll all those dice. Lily could really have used either or both of them against Shub-Niggurath's horde in the last game. Now that I have the Lightning Gun, I should be able to handle Rome (it can damage the Ghost before I encounter it) if a better Gate doesn't open up. I'll handle the Rumor, and I should have more than enough time. If I get the Clue on space 6, I could WIreless Report it to you on Turn 5, which will save you at least one turn towards solving the Mystery. I can get another Clue (two actually) by visiting a Wilderness space such as 10 (right near Rome) and using Mineralogical Research, if one doesn't pop up in a more convenient location. Is there anything else you think we should exchange or you wish to say before I leave?

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:10 am
by Tabs
ooc,That all sounds good. The Lightning Gun and Axe combo is a fab one!

Agnes Baker is helped over to a chair; she almost crumples into it with her cheek lolling against its headrest.

"I'm utterly exhausted," she whispers, rubbing her stomach and grimacing at the pain and memory of the aliens. She recognises Danforth kneeling before her, his face a horrible picture of concern, and the peculiar, oriental man whose mind she rescued, "Penderghast," he says and bows; also there is Ursula and Sir William.

"Expedition to Antarctica," she repeats Ursula's words. Agnes nods slowly in agreement. "Yes, we will go to Antarctica soon, God willing." She shivers.
~
Agnes pushes the headphones a little harder against her ear and speaks loudly into the small trumpet on the radio set. "Please be careful Miss Downs. Throw some coins into the Trevi fountain for me!"

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Action Phase
"Thank you, Agnes," replies Ursula, "You take care too, and I wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry I have to involve you in this, but you're one of the few people who would believe me, having been through the gateway too. I think Rome is where I can do something about the darkness. The fabric between worlds is weaker there, and there are reports of strange creatures not of this world in Rome. They might have come through a portal. I'll stop off in Texas along the way to follow up on a lead."

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:11 am
by Tabs

Turn 4, Action Phase: San Francisco

Gain 1 Focus, and Rest.

"Don't be sorry," replies Agnes, "We have the honour of saving our planet!" Danforth coughs quietly and Penderghast studies the sandals on his feet, she adds, "And Sir William and the others of course."

She fingers the Clue, which Ursula gave to her, and wonders what the future holds for herself and pictures those awful, slavering beasts who await Ursula in Rome.
~
Poisoned Condition flipped:

Lore 4 [dice]0[/dice]

Agnes' claw-like fingers grasp the armchair as she trembles and perspires, beads drip from her forehead and soak her blouse; both Danforth and Penderghast grip her forearms when she begins to convulse, jerking dangerously. Her veins glow with a frightening luminosity, before a stream of putrid light ejaculates out of her mouth.

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That looks like a General Encounter. I was going to encounter the Clue on this space, so shouldn't I have a Research encounter? Also, I thought you were going to Acquire Assets with your second Action in order to go to the Miskatonic Outpost. You can still get to Lake's Camp next turn if you do that, but only if you don't also Rest on that turn, which could be a problem. We probably shouldn't delay solving the second Mystery and revealing the third any longer than necessary.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 am
by Tabs
ooc,Agnes may not make it to Turn 5! if she croaks it will delay us worse than as is. The Focus gave her a second chance of getting rid of the Poisoned Condition and, now, with the upcoming encounter and Mythos card.
General Encounter discarded, Research Encounter:

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Encounter Phase
Ursula and Sir William get off the train in a small Texas town where they have heard there are reports of strange things in the night sky. After spending some time going around asking questions, they finally get some useful information from an old man sitting on a rocking chair on his porch with a shotgun on his lap.

"Yeah, I seen 'em flying around at night," he says. "They ain't natural - not of this world! They tend to fly to and from the big mountain outside of town. I think it's their base. These critters look just like something I read about in a book once. They're called Elder Things, and there's a prophecy that says that the stars will fall from the sky before they return to reclaim the Earth. Just like what happened last night!"
OOC,That's a good point. That gives me some more time to get you a second Clue, at least. Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Research Encounter, Turn 4: [dice]0[/dice] Clue gained.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 am
by Tabs

Turn 4, Encounter Phase, San Fancisco

. . . study . . . Megapolisamancy . . . Lore 4 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:35 am
by Tabs
Turn 4, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue, Space 7.
Ursula's Hallucinations Condition:

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Mythos Phase
Ursula feels far more confident, thanks to finding important information and being in Sir William's company. "We should do something about that base," she says.

"Already on it," says the old man. "I've organized a posse to go up there tonight and wipe out those critters! We'll teach them not to mess with Texas!"
OOC,I forgot that I also get back a Sanity point for [b]Sir William[/b] after the Research Encounter. With the 2 Health I regain from the Mythos card, I'll be back up to full. We were very lucky! Now that you can regain 2 Health yourself, you won't need to Rest on Turn 5 and can Acquire Assets to get to the Miskatonic Outpost, then Travel to Lake's Camp, which saves us a turn. You'll have plenty of time to Rest (with Healing Words) while solving the Mystery there. On Turn 5 I plan to Acquire Assets to get the Wireless Report and send you the second Clue (if I'd been thinking, I could have saved an Action on Turn 4 and just sent you both Clues), then Travel to 7 where a new Clue conveniently appeared. Unless a better Gate opens, such as in Buenos Aires or Arkham, I can head for 10 on Turn 6 to get two more Clues and then go to Rome on Turn 7 to finish off the Rumor. Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Hallucinations Reckoning, Turn 4: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:35 am
by Tabs
Turn 4, Mythos Phase

Spawn Gate: Istanbul (green comet)

Image Image

Text Effect: Agnes Baker recovers 2 Health.
ooc,Everything you said sounds perfect. Ursula has max Health, so she'll be the Lead Investigator? . . .

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Action Phase
The old man, who introduces himself as Mr. Henderson, provides Ursula with some much needed medical supplies. She and Sir William join his mob of riled-up Texans in their raid on the Elder Things' base. They see the creatures in the distance, flying away. They apparently do not want to stick around and get killed.

The base shows some signs of human as well as alien habitation. Some of their mind-controlled servants must have used it too. "Look, over here!" says Sir William, pulling out a map of the world from under a pile of papers. It is marked with red pushpins. One corresponds to their current location, another to the ancient city in Antarctica...and a third to Panama. "I think I know where we're going next."

In the morning, Ursula radios Agnes with what she's discovered, using Henderson's ham radio set. Then she and her lover bid him farewell and board a train heading south, eventually arriving in Panama City.
OOC,Yes, I was already thinking that I should stay Lead Investigator, in case the Mythos card has a nasty effect, such as spawning a Wraith. One good thing about you going to Antartica is that I'll definitely be closer to the Hunting Horror. I can probably kill it, but I'll almost certainly lose some Sanity in the process. Action 1: Acquire Assets: Influence roll (2 dice): [dice]0[/dice] Wireless Report acquired. 1 Clue transferred to [b]Agnes[/b]. Wireless Report discarded. Action 2: Travel: 6->7

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 am
by Tabs
Asset added to the reserve:

Agnes, speaking with Ursula via the radio, scribbles down notes as she listens. "Perfect, Miss Downs--the information: you have given me just what I needed. Take care in Panama. Over."
~
Turn 5, Action Phase: San Francisco

Action 1: Acquire Assets, discard Funding Condition, move to Miskatonic Outpost. Action 2: move to Lake Camp.

"How much?" exclaims Agnes when the loan shark tells her the interest charge. She snaps her fingers at Danforth, all the while looking steadily into the loan shark's eyes, and trying to appear like the complete business woman. Danforth produces the "golden ticket," hands it over to Agnes, who slaps it down on the desk.

Agnes, Danforth and Penderghast book a passage to Antarctica. One evening, at dinner aboard the ship, which steams down the west coast of the Americas, the three companions raise a glass in a silent toast to Ursula and Sir William.
~
They all dress in thick fur suits, snow shoes and supply themselves with food and whatnot. Outside of the depot ship they begin their trek to Lake Camp in brilliant sunshine, the Antarctica wilderness capped by a beautiful, azure sky.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:39 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Encounter Phase
Ursula and Sir William arrive in Panama City. Not far from the train station is a busy marketplace, where Sir William buys a circular hat with a low top and offers it to Ursula. "Here, it's called a Panama hat. I think it'll look smashing on you!"

Ursula smiles and tries it on, wearing it at a jaunty angle and twirling around. "Thank you!" she says. "I love it!"

"I knew I was right! Let's find the local library and see what we can uncover."

The two of them make their way to the library. Fortunately, they both know Spanish. In almost no time, they find an ancient book with the information they seek.
OOC,Don't forget to roll your 3 Influence dice! Funding can be used for two extra successes, but if you get an extra one from your dice you could buy an Asset too. If you get two or more successes, you won't even need to use Funding unless you want something else too. Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Research Encounter, Turn 5: [dice]0[/dice] Clue gained. Random Tome gained.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:04 am
by Tabs
ooc,I was so pleased with myself for having a Funding Condition I forgot about rolling dice.
Turn 5, Action Phase

[dice]0[/dice]

Agnes gains .45 Colt Revolver and .18 Derringer, replaced by Private Investigator and Bull Whip.

Ursula gains

Turn 5, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . free minds . . . Lore 4 -1 [dice]1[/dice]

Gain Research Student, discard and spend 1 Clue to place 1 Eldritch token on the Mystery.

The figure, bundled within horsehair blankets, bursts through the tent flaps; a dagger is raised, poised to strike Agnes. To the horror of Danforth and Penderghast, she doesn't fling herself to one side but just closes her eyes.

"I am Elseth-Ra, Sorceress, " she proclaims. The dagger and the figure fall upon the ice. She stoops and draws back the blankets to reveal a fresh-faced young man, he looks up into her eyes.

"You--you've released me," he murmurs.

Penderghast grabs hold of Agnes' shoulder. "Quick," he urges, "do it now. The Alien Ritual demands a sacrifice." She hesitates, unable to perform the heinous crime. Penderghast takes up the fallen dagger and plunges it into the young man's chest. His life gurgles away while clasping Agnes' hand.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:56 pm
by Tabs
Turn 5, Mythos Phase

Monster Surge: Gate: Plateau of Leng (red comet) and

Image Image

Spawn Clue: City of the Elder Things.
Text Effect: Hallucinations Condition flipped:

ooc,Lead Investigator?

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I forgot about the -1 to the Observation test, but I still got two successes even without the extra die. I'd better not be Lead Investigator this turn. My Sanity is dangerously low, especially with a Hunting Horror likely to attack me. I won't be going crazy with the Axe anytime soon. On the bright side, that Tome of Horrors was exactly what I needed! Rome may be costly even with it, but if the Hunting Horror attacks me, that leaves the Gate in Istanbul undefended. I can get there in one Action on Turn 7 from 10 by using my Character Action to move to The Pyramids and Travel to Istanbul, bypassing Rome. You should be okay next turn, as you'll be able to Rest and use Healing Words (and possibly give it up to place an Eldritch token on Sealing the Elder Gods, though that may best be done in Turn 7 to get further benefit from it). If a Wraith does pop up, I should be able to kill it for you. I hadn't read the Mystery as the player sacrificing the rescued person. I thought he/she would simply leave once freed (or you could give up a different Ally to keep the new one). It's the Elder Things that are carrying out the ritual, and we're trying to stop them.

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:37 am
by Tabs
ooc,[quote]It's the Elder Things that are carrying out the ritual, and we're trying to stop them.[/quote] I hear ya!

Turn 6, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: Rest, gain 1 Health and cast

. . . recover additional Health . . . Lore 4 [dice]0[/dice]

Then flip this card 2+: You dream of a faraway paradise where your mind can be at ease. That investigator may discard 1 Madness Condition.

Action 2: Local Action at Lake Camp: test Influence 3 [dice]1[/dice]

:(

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Mythos Phase
That night, Ursula is asleep in her hotel room when she suddenly awakens with her skin crawling. She is horrified to discover that insects are swarming all over her! "NO!" she screams. "Get them off! GET THEM OFF!" More of the bugs crawl inside her open mouth, terrifying her further as she thrashes around wildly.

Sir William bursts into her room through the connecting door carrying a lit candle. "Ursula, what's wrong?" he asks, concerned, as he rushes to her side.

"Bugs!" she cries. "They're all over me!"

"Ursula, there's nothing there. You must have been having a nightmare." He hugs her tight.

Ursula relaxes and soon realizes that the insects aren't real. "But...but I was so sure...I must be losing my mind!" She sobs into his shoulder. "Hold me! Hold me and never let me go!"

Turn 6 Action Phase
In the morning, the couple go down to the docks and book passage on a steamship heading though the canal and across the Atlantic to West Africa. During the voyage, Ursula reads the tome she borrowed from the library, which has details about all sorts of monsters, not just the Elder Things.
OOC,I'll have a General Encounter on Space 10 and then use my Mineralogy Research to try to get two more Clues. Action 1: Prepare for Travel: Ship Ticket acquired. Action 2: Travel: 7->8->10[Ship Ticket]

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:57 am
by Tabs

Turn 6, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . free minds . . . Lore 4 -1 [dice]0[/dice]

Gain 1 random Ally

Discard 1 Ally and spend 1 Clue to place 1 Eldritch token on the Mystery.

Agnes Baker listens to the shovels chopping into the snow and ice--Danforth and Penderghast are digging a hole for the young man's burial. She scuffs the snow at her feet, trying to hide the crimson stain, which seems to be everywhere. "So much blood," she mutters as she, almost frantically, attacks a pile of snow, spreading it around.

She glimpses beads, no, it's a pearl necklace! Such an incongruous thing to discover, here in Antarctica, she stares stupidly for a full minute. Next, she spots a reindeer boot. Falling upon her knees she scoops at the powdered snow until a body is revealed, pulling at its hood she is shocked to find the frozen features of a woman. The woman's white lips part.

"They kidnapped me," she croaks, "forced me to perform in an unspeakable ritual." She sobs, and says no more.

Agnes thinks about the startling information which Ursula radioed her--the aliens, the obscene, winged, eye-stalk creatures, and looks upon the poor woman's frozen features, shudders, and knows an unbearable pathos.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:06 am
by Tabs

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 6 Encounter Phase
The steamship arrives in Dakar, the capital of Senegal, and Ursula and Sir William disembark. They equip themselves for a journey into the interior of Africa and quickly set out into the jungle. The heat is oppressive, and the mosquitos are merciless. Ursula soon becomes feverish and comes down with a case of malaria, but Sir William takes care of her and she manages to endure her illness and recover. The soil in the region looks unusual. They take some samples and run a few tests, but they can't determine anything about it.
OOC,Strength roll (3 dice), General Encounter, Turn 6: [dice]0[/dice] Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Mineralogical Research: [dice]1[/dice] Reroll, spending 0 Focus: [dice]2[/dice] Well, I didn't get the extra Clues, but at least I don't get Hallucinations again.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am
by Tabs
ooc,[quote]I didn't get the extra Clues[/quote] Oh well. We're still on course to win! However, the Mythos card I just drew is a stinker.
Turn 6, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: red sun. Advance Doom (15 down to 13).
Reckoning Effects: Hunting Horror descends upon Ursula.

Image Image

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 6 Mythos Phase
Ursula is awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of something flying overhead. Looking up, she sees a huge monster swooping down on her! She shrieks in absolute terror, though knowing what it is helps alleviate the horror somewhat. It is a Hunting Horror, a creature that can be harmed by light, which explains why it gives the campfire a wide berth. She is barely out of her sleeping bag when it strikes. It wraps its tentacle-like tail around her throat and begins to throttle her, but she manages to break free and grab her alien weapon. "Don't like light, do you?" she asks, pointing what she hopes is the barrel at the thing. "Let's see how you like this!" She fires it, and a blue crackling surge of electricity strikes it full on, disintegrating it utterly. There is not a trace of it left.
OOC,Will check (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] - 1[Hunting Horror] = 4 dice) encountering the Hunting Horror: [dice]0[/dice] Strength check (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] = 9 dice) fighting the Hunting Horror: [dice]1[/dice] 2 Sanity lost. Hunting Horror defeated. Well, it's a good thing I don't have any Spells I want to keep, or I'd have to lose them. I'm lucky I have the Tome of Horrors, or I'd be a gibbering wreck. You might want to hold onto at least two of your Spells, including Healing Words, as you'll probably gain 2 Sanity when you Rest and might even be able to lose the Madness Condition.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:52 am
by Tabs
Turn 6, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue, Heart of Africa.
Rumor: Discard 1 Eldritch token for each Gate . . . (5 down to 3).
Spawn Gate: The Pyramids (blue constellation) and

Image Image

Text Effect: Agnes discards Storm of Spirits, loses 2 Sanity for her remaining Spells, and gains

2nd Mystery solved, :D new mystery:

Image of Crazed Elder Thing to come.
ooc,I'll be the Lead Investigator. The Mystery requires the Alien Device Artifact to kill he Crazed Elder Thing, I thought that Agnes could cast, pass and discard both of her Spells, flip Sealing the Old Ones, and, hopefully, solve the Mystery?

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That sounds good, but how does Sealing the Elder Gods solve the mystery? We can't damage the Crazed Elder Thing without the Alien Device Artifact. Does that card give you an Artifact somehow? If not, there's the City of the Elder Things (you'll need another Clue first), or I can move to the Himalayas after I'm done solving the Rumor in Istanbul. I can hopefully get an Artifact from the Expedition Encounter, plus I'll have another chance to grab two Clues. You should definitely be Lead Investigator. If I lose any more Sanity, I'll go completely doolally. It's bad enough that another monster spawned that will hunt me down. Luckily, the Tome of Horrors will ensure I don't lose more than 1 Sanity from it, and I can get one back first by Resting before going to Istanbul with my second Action.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 am
by Tabs
Image Image
ooc,I didn't comment upon Ursula's Sanity: she's pretty close to the mental edge. :( There is the Rumor to deal with, although we have 2 or 3 turns left. I just read the Rumor ". . . on a space containing a Gate (no need to encounter it) . . . spend Clue. . . ." Advance the Mystery: with an Epic Monster place 2 Health damage upon the Mystery--the Sealing the Old Ones card will say something like that.

Turn 7, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: Rest, and then cast Healing Words + spend 1 Health for 2 additional dice: Lore 4 +2 [dice]0[/dice]

Then flip this card 2+: You dream of a faraway paradise where your mind can be at ease. That investigator may discard 1 Madness Condition.

Gain a total of 1 Health, 2 Sanity, discard Hallucinations Condition, and discard Spell to place 1 Eldritch token upon Sealing the Old Ones.

Action 2: Cast Conjuration: Lore 4 +1 [dice]1[/dice]

Gain Bull Whip, replaced by Urban Guide (image to come).

Then flip this card 1-3: For a moment, your mind is exposed to a powerful intelligence, dwelling between worlds. Lose 1 Sanity.

Discard Spell to place 1 Eldritch token upon Sealing the Old Ones and flip the card

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 7 Action Phase
Ursula can't stop shaking for a long time, but Sir William's presence helps calm her down. The two of them journey across North Africa and eventually arrive in Egypt, where she can't shake the feeling that she's being watched. They then board a train that takes them to Istanbul.
OOC,Sealing the Elder Gods won't damage the Crazed Elder Thing at all. The Mystery says "It cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Alien Device Artifact." We're going to need to get it. Even if Advancing the active Mystery did damage the monster, it would only be one point (the number of Eldritch tokens doesn't matter for that). At least it retreats Doom by 2. I need to encounter the Rumor now (and it says it does require an Encounter, so I can't encounter the Gate). I can do it with no risk at the moment, but anything could happen to me after this turn, and we don't have as long as you might think. Next turn I plan to go to the Himalayas, where I may be able to find the Alien Device. If you get the Clue, you might want to head for City of the Elder Things and try to get an Artifact that way, but I think I can do this faster. If I get the Alien Device, on the next turn I can use my character's Action to travel to India and then Acquire Assets to get to the Miskatonic Outpost (probably taking a Bank Loan). My other Action will be used to Rest again before moving, bringing my Sanity to 3 as long as I don't lose any more. Or I could take a risk and use my second Action for the Lighting Gun's built-in Action. I can then hopefully kill the Crazed Elder Thing with the Lightning Gun. If that doesn't quite kill it, I can use the Lightning Gun's Action the following turn to do another point of damage. If that's not enough, I could then move to Lake's Camp, where you could trade with me, take the Lightning Gun, and go to the Outpost to finish it off. Action 1: Rest. 1 Sanity gained. Action 2: Character Action: Move: 10->The Pyramids, then Travel: The Pyramids->Istanbul

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:00 am
by Tabs
ooc,I think you're wrong about the no. of Health damage, possibly about requiring the Alien Device Artifact, and about the Rumor encounter*. I'll just head over to BGG and see if I can find answers. . . . https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1384898/sealing-old-ones-unique-asset-and-invasion-elder-t * I re-read my post and we misunderstand each other, I meant no Encounter card needs be drawn, so, yes, there is an encounter to solve the Rumor, but it only involves discarding a Clue. The other stuff you say sounds good, Agnes will encounter the Clue at Lake Camp.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You're right. I didn't know how the new rules worked. Health tokens placed on the Mystery reduce the Crazed Elder Thing's Toughness rather than reducing its Health directly, so its Toughness is down to 2. I should be able to handle it easily, and if I miss there's always the Lightning Gun's Action. You're the Lead Investigator, so you should have your Encounter first. Then I'll solve the Rumor using my Clue. Next turn you might want to spend one Action moving closer to City of the Elder Things just in case I don't find an Artifact.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:50 am
by Tabs

Turn 7, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . search for Professor Lake's note's Observation 2 -1 +1[improvement] [dice]0[/dice]

Inside the tent everything has been destroyed or turned upside down: camp furniture, provision boxes, blankets and papers are strewn all around. The wanton destruction is unsettling for Agnes, she stands amid the junk and surveys the mess. It is as if something has expressed its hatred for the trappings of mankind.

"Look at these notes, Miss Baker," says Danforth, who is crouching down, sorting through a heap of torn and crumpled documents; Agnes takes them from him.

"To those who may follow," she reads, "I, Professor Lake, urge you to return home. Run away, fly, sail, from Antarctica and the cursed Mountains of Madness."

She pulls away two ship tickets which are clipped to the notes.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 7 Encounter Phase
Ursula tracks down the source of the darkness in Istanbul to the Hagia Sophia. She is able to sense the weakness in the fabric of the universe and makes her way to a darkened chamber from which she can feel the dark power emerging. "Klaatu Barada Nikto!" she intones, uttering the words of the incantation. While the weakness remains present, the darkness retreats back through the portal whence it came. Emerging into the night, she and Sir William see that the sky is once again full of stars.
OOC,1 Clue spent. Rumor solved.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:38 pm
by Tabs
ooc,Well done with that Rumor. I didn't get a Clue even though I passed the test. :(
Turn 7, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: blue constellation [left hand]. Doom advances (15 down to 14).
Monster Surge: at The Pyramids

Image Image

Spawn Clue: London.
ooc,Agnes will be Lead Investigator. She'll try for the Dog Sled Unique Asset and move towards City of the Elder Things?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That all sounds good to me. When it's my turn, I'll Rest and use my Character Action to go to The Himalayas. There I'll have an Expedition Encounter and try to use my Mineralogical Research.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:28 am
by Tabs

Turn 8, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: . . . Dog Sled . . ? Influence [dice]0[/dice]

Action 2: Use Action on Dog Sled Ally, move to adjacent space (Frozen Waste), and then move to City of the Elder Things.

A dog howls outside the tent. Agnes raises an eyebrow at Danforth.

"I thought all living things had departed this sad place?" she says. The two exit the tent and find Penderghast with a husky, the animal is licking the laughing man's face. "Looks like you've got a friend!"

"Maybe," says Penderghast in-between licks, "but, frankly, it's a bit disgusting. Nice doggie," he pats the husky's head.

Twenty minutes later they are zipping across the frozen waste upon a sled, pulled along by a willing ally. Later, they strike camp in an unlikely city, sheltering inside a gargantuan tomb-like building.

"A mausoleum for something ungodly," mutters Danforth gloomily.

Agnes unpacks the radio. "Antarctica, latitude seventy degrees south. Miss Downs, Ursula, can you hear me, over? I've found an ancient necropolis, over. Will search for clues. Any advice, over?"

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 8 Action Phase
"I read you, Agnes," replies Ursula over the radio. "We've been to that city before. The Elder Things built it, or rather they got their slaves the shoggoths to do it. They weren't there when we visited, but they're supposed to return one day. If you bump into either of them, run! You may also run into more controlled humans there, like we did. Keep an eye out for murals with pictograms. They contain all sorts of useful information. There's also a plateau not far from the city where there's a gateway that can take you to places where the barrier between worlds is weak. There's a ritual described on the walls that activates it." She fills Agnes in on her discoveries and what she's been doing lately. "We've dealt with the darkness, and now we're off to the Himalayas to investigate legends of an ancient alien presence high in the mountains. Then I plan to come join you in Antarctica."

After recovering from her ordeal, Ursula and Sir William board a train that takes them to India, where they head off into the Himalaya Mountains.
OOC,Dog Sleds are nice! They do much the same thing as my special ability, but they only work in Antarctica. If I get one, I could use them together by chaining their Actions and potentially move three spaces in Antarctica in a single turn. Action 1: Travel: Istanbul->17 Action 2: Character Action: Move 17->The Himalayas, then Rest. 1 Sanity gained.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:29 am
by Tabs

"See you soon, Ursula," she says into the microphone, trumpet thingy, and, "Over and out."

Turn 8, Encounter Phase: City of the Elder Things

. . . study some black seeds . . . Observation 2 -1 +1 [dice]0[/dice] gain Clue.

"I found these, actually Royce sniffed 'em out," says Penderghast, proffering some black seeds which the husky had scratched out of the snow.

Agnes takes them over to the sled, staring at the seeds held in her palm with an intent expression on her furrowed brow.

"You may need this," says Danforth, producing a brass microscope he had discovered among their equipment. Carefully sliding a seed under the optics Agnes studies it for many minutes.

She looks up finally, tosses and catches the remaining seeds. "Mr. Danforth," she says, blowing out air in a rasping whistle, "they are not organic, or of this world!"

New expedition in Rome.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 8 Encounter Phase
Ursula knows that the Himalayas are home to the Abominable Snowman, also called the Migou. This is similar to the Mi-Go mentioned in the tome she found, a species that was at war with the Elder Things. If they were able to put up a fight, they must have weapons that can harm the Elder Things, so she looks for any trace of them in the mountains. Before long, she and Sir William find a hidden Mi-Go outpost in a cave where they shelter from a snowstorm. It contains a human brain in a metal cylinder. There are various attachments connected to the cylinder.

"Hello," says a voice coming from one of the attachments that resembles a radio speaker.

Ursula is disturbed, but she forces herself to talk to the brain, as it may be her only source of information. "Uh, hello," she says. "I'm Ursula Downs. Who are you?"

"I'm Guruk, a Sherpa guide. I was killed in an avalanche, but the Mi-Go found my body and salvaged my brain. They gave me immortality of a sort, but you have no idea how lonely it gets here. Sometimes the Mi-Go come by, but most of the time they leave me on my own."

"Do you know where they keep their weapons? We need them to defeat their ancient enemies, the Elder Things."

"Sure! There's a glass cylinder hidden inside a plinth over in the corner that has one of them."

"Thank you, Guruk. That's just what we need to save the world." She find the hidden compartment in the plinth and opens it to reveal a round, opaque glass container with alien script written on it.

"What does it say?" asks Sir William.

"I think it means 'break glass in case of emergency.'" So she does, shattering it with her axe to reveal a black knob-like device that fits in the palm of her hand. "It doesn't look like much, but I'm sure it'll be effective."

The two of them also take soil samples from the area and analyze them using equipment found in the Mi-Go outpost, from which they learn some very interesting things.
OOC,Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Expedition Encounter: [dice]0[/dice] Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Expedition Encounter: [dice]1[/dice] Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Mineralogy Research: [dice]2[/dice] Alien Device Artifact gained. 2 Clues gained. Mineralogy Research discarded.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 am
by Tabs
ooc,Super job; now the Hound! . . .
Turn 8, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: green comet. Doom advances (14 down to 13).
Reckoning Effects: Hound of Tindalos descends upon Ursula.

Image Image

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 8 Mythos Phase
Impossibly, a monstrous, vaguely canine form emerges from a corner of the alien laboratory. Instinctively, Ursula turns her lightning gun on the creature and disintegrates it. "That was a Hound of Tindalos!" she exclaims. "I read about them in the book. Once they catch your scent, they're nearly impossible to shake, or to kill. This weapon is amazingly powerful!"
OOC,Will check (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] = 5 dice) encountering the Hound of Tindalos: [dice]0[/dice] Strength check (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] -1[Hound of Tindalos] = 8 dice) fighting the Hound of Tindalos: [dice]1[/dice] Hound of Tindalos defeated. Thanks! After I (hopefully) beat the Crazed Elder Thing, I'll give you the Alien Device if you want. You're better suited for it.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 am
by Tabs
Turn 8, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue at Tokyo.
Spawn Gate: Arkham (red sun) and

Image Image
ooc,Agnes to stay Lead Investigator, she'll spend a Clue and gain an Artifact, and then move back to Lake Camp?

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Good plan! I'll Rest first, then move back to India and Acquire Assets to get to the Miskatonic Outpost so I can encounter the Crazed Elder Thing. If I only cause 1 damage to it, I'll finish it off with an Action on Turn 10. If for some reason I botch completely and do no damage, I'll zap it with an Action, then move to the Lake Camp and hand the Lightning Gun to you along with the Alien Device so you can finish it off on the same turn.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:13 am
by Tabs

Turn 9, Action Phase: City of the Elder Things

Action 1: Spend 1 Clue to gain 1 Artifact.

Action 2: Use Action on Dog Sled Ally, move to adjacent space (Frozen Waste), and then move to Lake Camp.

"Show me where the dog found those seeds," asks Agnes of Penderghast.

"Over here," he indicates the snow drifts either side of the entrance to the mausoleum.

She plays with Royce's furry ears while letting the husky smell the seeds in her palm. "Find me some more. Good boy. Yes, you're luvely! Go on." The husky understands Agnes' wish and scrabbles away at the snow drift, digging furiously and creating a small hill of snow which flies out from between its hind legs. Several feet deep Royce whinnies, and then retreats backwards rear first. Agnes, Danforth and Penderghast peer down the hole; embedded in the permafrost is an oily-coloured orb.

"It must be hundreds of years old!" says Penderghast, "Thousands?" wonders Danforth, "Millions," corrects Agnes.

"Miss Downs and Sir William will be at Miskatonic Outpost soon," says Agnes. "I desire to meet up again, and, maybe, share what we have discovered. Let's go back to Lake Camp."

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 9 Action Phase
Ursula and Sir William return from the mountains and arrange an expedition to Antarctica. They don't have quite enough funds to pay for everything, so they have to take out a loan. They spend the voyage together, which makes the time pass faster. Before they know it, they arrive in Antarctica and head for the Miskatonic Outpost.
OOC,Action 1: Rest. Gain 1 Sanity. Action 2: Character Action: Move The Himalayas->17, then Acquire Assets. Influence roll (2 dice), Acquire Assets, Turn 9: [dice]0[/dice] Spend 0 Focus to reroll failed die: [dice]1[/dice] Acquire Bank Loan for 2 extra successes (the third is wasted because nothing costs 1 success). Acquire Debt Condition. Move 17->Miskatonic Outpost.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 am
by Tabs

Turn 9, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . Professor Lake's geological samples Obsevation 2 -1 +1[improvement] +2[Cursed Sphere] [dice]0[/dice]

"I don't understand these black seeds," says a perplexed Agnes.
ooc,Good luck vs. Crazed Elder Thing. I guess that if you defeat it you have an encounter.
Image Image +2 Health tokens on the Mystery.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 9 Encounter Phase
When Ursula arrives at the expedition's camp, there is no sign of anyone around. The buildings are all boarded up and barricaded from the inside. Then a creature rises into the air from behind one of the buildings. It looks just like the Elder Things she had seen on the murals in the ancient city and that were described in her book. She hands the Mi-Go weapon to Sir William. "Keep this trained on it," she says. "I'll use their own weapon against one of them."

Sir William activates the device, surrounding the Elder Thing with a pale blue glow. The creature swoops at the two of them, shrieking in fury, but Ursula calmly stands her ground and brings the lightning gun to her shoulder. Blue electric current emerges from the barrel and zaps it, and it falls to the ice, dead. "Scratch one Elder Thing!"
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4820339/]Will check (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] = 5 dice), encountering Crazed Elder Thing, Turn 9 (5d6.hits(5)=2)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4820340/]Stength check (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] -1[Crazed Elder Thing] = 8 dice), encountering Crazed Elder Thing, Turn 9 (8d6.hits(5)=3)[/url]. No Sanity lost. Crazed Elder Thing defeated. Woohoo! 8-) Thanks, now I can have a Location Encounter.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:32 am
by Tabs

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 9 Encounter Phase
With the Elder Thing dead, explorers and scientists in the buildings cautiously begin to remove the barricades and venture outside. "Thank you!" says one of them. "That thing had us trapped for weeks! We found it frozen in the ice and thought it was dead, but it was apparently in some sort of state of hibernation. When we started dissecting it, it came to life and attacked us!"

"Glad we could be of help," says Ursula. "I noticed you have some planes here."

"Yes, they're for doing aerial surveys, but nobody's going to fly in this weather. There's a storm coming."

Ursula talks to the pilots, but only one of them might be willing to go up under the circumstances. They had been playing a lot of poker while they were locked down by the Elder Thing, with nothing else to do, and he had lost a fortune - more than he could possibly repay. If she could cover his debts, he'd give her a ride.

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help," she says. "We had to go into hock just to get here."
OOC,I already have a Debt Condition, so I can't take another one even if I want to do so.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:24 pm
by Tabs
Turn 9, Mythos Phase

Spawn Clue: space 5.
Rumor token on space 7.

Mystery solved, :D new Mystery

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Since we're already in Antarctica and we just drew the final Mystery, I suggest we concentrate on it and ignore the Rumor. I should be Lead Investigator so that I can Trade with you as I pass through. I'll use my first Action to move to the Lake Camp and Trade, then Travel with my second Action. I'll give you the Alien Device and one of my two Clues. That way you can go to City of the Elder Things and grab another Artifact, and we'll still each have a Clue left. On the following turn, we can both reach the Plateau of Leng and try to solve the Mystery. I'd better go first again then. I can use the Lightning Gun and then finish it off. If I somehow fail, you can finish it with your Monster Hunter.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:57 pm
by Tabs
ooc,Okay. This game will go down as one of the easiest ever, the Doom is still at 13!

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Actually, I have a better idea. You can move to the Snowy Mountains and spend 1 Focus to improve a skill. I can meet you there and do the same with 0 Focus, then Trade with you. Then we can both have Encounters and move directly to the Plateau of Leng.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:22 pm
by Tabs
ooc,Okay. I forgot about the "move to the Plateau of Leng. . ." part of the location ability. Will post tomorrow (I'm on a tablet at the moment).

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am
by Tabs

Turn 10, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: use Dog Sled to move to Miskatonic Outpost, and then to Snowy Mountains.

Action 2: local Action @ Snowy Mountains: spend Focus to improve 1 skill (Strength).

Agnes passes by Miskatonic Outpost, on route for the Snowy Mountains. At the outpost she spots Ursula in conversation with a pilot. She scoots on by, waving and calling out from the dog sled.

"Miss Downs, URSULA!" she shouts above the swishing sound of the sled as it glides along, and the grunting of Danforth and Penderghast as they jog beside it while holding on, "see you at Snowy Mountains."
~
They find a food cache--cans of spinach mainly. Soon their primus stove is spluttering and the green stuff, heated inside its can, is nice and hot. Agnes eats a whole bowl of spinach. Afterwards she needs the toilet, not an attractive proposition here among the rock and ice. Squatting behind a bluff, the freezing air stinging her naked backside, she concentrates, and feels curiously strong within herself.

Back at the makeshift camp, Agnes continues rubbing together her hands with some snow and fine grit until they are clean and warm. Danforth is busying himself around the stove.

"Coffee's on," he says, "Miss Downs should join us soon."

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 10 Action Phase
Unable to get a ride to the mountains on a plane and without a sled of their own, Ursula and Sir William have to proceed on foot. Fortunately, Ursula is an excellent navigator, and they make good time. Soon they catch up with Agnes and her party. Ursula runs forward and greets Agnes with a hug. "It's good to see you, Agnes," she says. "I've got something you might find useful. It's a device created by the Mi-Go, the ancient enemies of the Elder Things. It can harm them." She hands her the knob-like thing. Then she fills her in on their adventures since her last report, pointing at the ominous mountains looming in the distance. "Somewhere beyond those mountains of madness lies the plateau we found earlier, and the Guardian of Forever, which is the gateway between worlds. The Guardian is the key. If we can draw the Elder Things through it somehow, we can seal them in another world, preventing them from returning to Earth. But first we have to get beyond the mountains."
OOC,Action 1: Character Action: Move Miskatonic Outpost->Snowy Mountains, then Local Action: Spend 0 Focus to increase Influence. Action 2: Trade Alien Device given to [b]Agnes Baker[/b]. Is there anything else you want to exchange while we have a chance? I'm not sure if we also have an Encounter at the Plateau of Leng after moving there, but I'd guess not. The Location Encounter card I drew last turn specifically said I'd have an Encounter after moving to the Snowy Mountains.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:22 am
by Tabs
ooc,Nothing else, thanks. I'll draw the Encounter cards tomorrow.
Agnes fingers the Alien Device. "What a curious object," she says while repeating, " 'Guardian of Forever,' " over and over again like the words have an unusual taste. "We'll succeed in drawing the Elder Things through the Gate, I just know it!"

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 10 Action Phase
"Oh, that's the easy part," says Ursula. "All we have to do is get them to chase us through the gate. It's getting back and sealing it that'll be tricky."

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:47 pm
by Tabs

Turn 10, Encounter Phase: Snowy Mountains

. . . hold on to a hatch Strength 2 -1 +1[improvement] +2[Cursed Sphere] [dice]0[/dice]

Agnes nods and is about to reply to Ursula when a loud report followed by a splutter echoes through the mountain passes. "What . . . ?" she says. Turning round, they see a plane landing upon a field of snow, a level acre of ground before the Snowy Mountains begin its climb to unimaginable heights. "It must be one of those pilots you were chatting with at Miskatonic Outpost, Ursula." Agnes runs down to greet the pilot, waving as she does so, feeling exhilarated and energetic because the end of the alien god is at hand.

Ropes leans out of the cockpit. "Stand well back, miss," he calls to Agnes, "I'll just turn her ready for take off."

"I'd love to go up," shouts Agnes in a cloud of snow blown by the propeller, her hair flapping with the gust.

"Why not?" he shout back, and whoops. "Come aboard!"

The plane begins to gain speed; Ropes and Agnes grin at each other as its nose lifts. The jolt is such a shattering event that she is catapulted through the windscreen. She slides off but manages to grab a handle on the engine cowling, only aware of the rush of snow below her dangling feet and the tinkle of sherds from the smashed glass. The image of Ropes' eyes protruding on their stalks because he is being throttled by a glistening, placenta-like lasso is her last one before she drops to the snow field, hitting the ground at thirty miles an hour, spinning end on end, and losing consciousness.

Agnes Baker moves to Plateau of Leng as per the location ability of Snowy Mountains.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 10 Encounter Phase
"Agnes!" cries Ursula when she sees her fall out of the plane. Then the pilot is strangled and dragged from the airplane by an Elder Thing, and the aircraft is hit by turbulence. Ursula rushes for the controls, but she's not sure how to use them properly...and the plane is starting to lose altitude. Thinking quickly, she keys the radio's microphone. "Um...help!"

"Who is this?" asks a man's voice.

"Ursula Downs. I'm in a plane. The pilot's gone. How do I fly this thing?'

"All right, I'll talk you through it. Do you see the yoke? The control stick? That determines which way the plane moves."

"So if I push it, the plane goes up?"

"No! It goes down. Pull back to make it go up."

Ursula pulls on the yoke, and the plane levels off. "Okay, got it! Now what?"

The man on the radio continues to guide her, and soon she is able to land the plane safely, if not bumpily, on the plateau. She and Sir William climb out and race to where Agnes has fallen.
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4821639/]Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice) to fly the plane, Location Encounter, Turn 10 (4d6.hits(5)=2)[/url]. 1 Focus gained. Move to Plateau of Leng.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:38 am
by Tabs
Turn 10, Mythos Phase

. Advance Doom by 1 (13 down to 12).
Monster Surge: Hound of Tindalos @The Pyramids.

Image Image

Spawn Clue: space 20.
Text Effect: Agnes Baker gains

Heart of Corruption: [dice]0[/dice] but loses 2 Health and 2 Sanity. :(
ooc,Ursula Lead Investigator? Agnes will Rest and gain a Focus.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 11 Action Phase
"Oh, poor Agnes!" cries Ursula, cradling her in her arms. She glances up at her companions. "You'll have to look after her until she recovers. Sir William and I will scout ahead and locate the Guardian."

As she is about to leave, she finds the injured pilot in a snowdrift and helps him. "Thank you, Miss!" he says. "You've even landed my plane intact! How can I ever repay you?"

"Could your expedition absorb some of the cost of mine? We spent a fortune to get out here."

"Consider it done."

Ursula and Sir William venture forth into the icy wastes, soon finding themselves back in familiar territory. They are able to locate the gateway again, a series of shimmering vistas of other worlds and other times visible in the arch, but this time there is something else. An animated skeleton carrying a rusty sword is patrolling in front of it. Ursula fires her lightning gun at it from a distance, sending splinters of bone flying from it, but an electric charge also shocks her!
OOC,Action 1: Local Action on Debt: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822028/]Influence roll (2 + 1[Improvement] = 3 dice), Debt Local Action, Turn 11 (3d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. Debt discarded. Action 2: Lightning Gun Action: 1 damage to Skeleton, 1 damage to me. You can't Rest while the Skeleton is still there. I did 1 damage to it, so now you can finish it off with your Monster Hunter and Rest for your second Action, which I'd advise.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:02 pm
by Tabs
ooc,I realised afterward that the Skeleton would prevent Agnes her Rest action, but I totally forgot about the passive ability of the Lightning Gun and Monster Hunter. Well done! I was afraid Agnes may not survive to the end with 2 Health and 2 Sanity only.

Turn 10, Action Phase: Plateau of Leng

Action 1: use passive ability of Monster Hunter, Skeleton loses 1 Health.

Image Image

Action 2: Rest.

Agnes moans. "I suffered badly today," she whispers, and, "We are so close to the end." Danforth takes over from Ursula. He strokes Agnes' brow and straightens the fur blanket which covers her.

"Poor girl," he says, "poor girl."

Penderghast stamps in suppressed rage. "That Skeleton out there is preventing her recovery!" he growls, drawing his impressive knife. Crouching low, he steals towards the monster. . . .

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 11 Encounter Phase
As Ursula and Sir William approach the portal, Elder Things swarm at them from all directions. "They'll follow us through!" she shouts. "Now's our chance!" Clasping his hand, she leaps through the gate.

The two of them find themselves in a lavish dance hall, filled with masked partygoers. Ursula discovers that she is wearing an exquisite green ball gown and a golden mask of her own, and Sir William is wearing a tuxedo and a black mask. Couples are dancing across the floor, so she and William act as they do to blend in.

"My sister thinks she will inherit the throne," whispers a blonde woman in a red mask to Ursula as she waltzes past, "but it is mine by right."

Then a tall man in a silver mask approaches. "Mind if I cut in?" he asks.

"As a matter of fact, I-" starts Sir William, but the stranger shoves him aside and whisks Ursula across the dance floor.

'Don't get any funny ideas," says Ursula, frowning. "He is my beloved."

"Oh, I'm not interested in that," says the masked man. "You seem an intelligent and capable woman. I need your help to secure the throne. If you assist me, I will give you a gift of great power."

"I would like to see this gift first."

"Of course. I knew you were clever. Here it is." He pulls an object out of a hidden compartment in his costume and shows it to her.

"Oh..."
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822298/]Influence roll (2 + 1[Improvement] = 3 dice) talking to the partygoers, Other World Encounter, Turn 11 (3d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822299/]Spend 0 Focus for reroll (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822302/]Spend 1 Focus for reroll (1d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. Artifact gained. If it's something that can get me a third Clue or substitute for a Clue, I can solve the Mystery. In the likely event that it can't, I'll have to become Delayed, as I only have two Clues and wouldn't be able to solve the Mystery if I spent them. That means you'll have to try to solve it in your Encounter. If that doesn't work, we'll be forced to go through another turn to try again later.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:44 am
by Tabs

Turn 10, Encounter Phase: Plateau of Leng

. . . sneak past the [purple spider] . . . Observation 2 -1 +1[Improvement] +2[Curved Sphere] [dice]0[/dice]

. . . translate the strange symbols . . . Lore 4 +2[Curved Sphere] [dice]1[/dice]

1 Clue spent to place 1 Eldritch token on the Mystery. :D :)

Turn 10, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: red sun. Advance Doom by 3 (12 down to 9).
Reckoning Effects: Hound of Tindalos descends upon Plateau of Leng.

Image Image
ooc,Will Ursula fight it?

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 11 Encounter Phase
"What have you got there?" demands an imperious woman's voice. Ursula quickly hides the glass she's just been handed behind her back and looks up to see a tall woman in a white mask.

"Uh...nothing," says Ursula.

"Nothing, Your Majesty. I happen to be the Queen."

"I'm terribly sorry, Your Majesty. I did not recognize you with that mask you're wearing."

"And I do not recognize you with your mask. I command you to remove it!"

Ursula takes off her mask with one hand, holding the artifact behind her back with the other.

"Good," says the queen. "Now tell me everything you know!"

"That...could take a while."

"I have nowhere else to go."

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
After being interrogated by the queen for what seems forever, Ursula and Sir William eventually find themselves back on the plateau in front of the archway, as if they had never left. Then another of the strange beings that had attacked her in the Mi-Go outpost high in the Himalayas emerges from the intersection of the portal with the icy surface.

"Oh, not this again!" exclaims Ursula. She casually blasts it to nothingness with her lightning gun.
OOC,Heck yeah, I'll fight it! :D Well done on solving the final Mystery! Now we just have to get through the Mythos phase. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822621/]Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] = 5 dice) encountering the Hound of Tindalos, Turn 11 Mythos Phase (5d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822622/]Strength roll (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] - 1[Hound of Tindalos] = 8 dice) fighting the Hound of Tindalos, Turn 11 Mythos Phase (8d6.hits(5)=3)[/url] No Sanity lost. Hound of Tindalos defeated.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:51 pm
by Tabs
Turn 11, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: (cont'd) Rumor: Advance the Omen by 1, blue constellation [left hand]. Advance Doom by 1 (9 down to 8).
Sir William Brinton spawns 1 Clue, Snowy Mountains.
Cursed Sphere: Agnes Baker gains a Cursed Condition on a 1 or 2 [dice]0[/dice] --oh, nuts!
Spawn Gate: Miskatonic Outpost and Leng Spider.
Text Effect: Ursula and Agnes test Will -2. Ursula first . . .

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
Ursula turns to see Agnes pop back through the gateway. "You've done it, Agnes!" she cheers. "The Elder Things are now trapped in some other world, and our world is safe!" She stares longingly at the portal. "That can take us to all sorts of different times and places. I am an explorer at heart. It's so tempting to just walk through and..." She looks at Sir William. "No, I'm staying right here. We have a wedding to plan, after all!"
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4823093/]Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 1[Sir William Brinton] - 2[Mythos Card] = 2 dice) to resist going through the Gate (2d6.hits(5)=1)[/url].

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:59 am
by Tabs
Turn 11, Mythos Phase

Text Effects: (cont'd) Will 2 -2 +1[Improvement] +2[Cursed Sphere] [dice]0[/dice] --phew!

Mystery solved. :) Investigators WIN the game. :D

Agnes Baker skips with delight and embraces Ursula and Sir William, "I insist on being a bridesmaid!" she laughs.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
[Image

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
Ursula hugs Agnes back. "You'll be my maid of honor!" she says.
OOC,Woohoo! :D 8-)