Mountains of Madness

Disturbed by Miskatonic University's expedition to Antarctica, the Elder Things awaken from their ancient slumber and threaten to overrun the world. Only mystical waitress Agnes Baker and intrepid explorer Ursula Downs can stop them and save humanity!

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Mountains of Madness

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You're right. I didn't know how the new rules worked. Health tokens placed on the Mystery reduce the Crazed Elder Thing's Toughness rather than reducing its Health directly, so its Toughness is down to 2. I should be able to handle it easily, and if I miss there's always the Lightning Gun's Action. You're the Lead Investigator, so you should have your Encounter first. Then I'll solve the Rumor using my Clue. Next turn you might want to spend one Action moving closer to City of the Elder Things just in case I don't find an Artifact.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Turn 7, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . search for Professor Lake's note's Observation 2 -1 +1[improvement] [dice]0[/dice]

Inside the tent everything has been destroyed or turned upside down: camp furniture, provision boxes, blankets and papers are strewn all around. The wanton destruction is unsettling for Agnes, she stands amid the junk and surveys the mess. It is as if something has expressed its hatred for the trappings of mankind.

"Look at these notes, Miss Baker," says Danforth, who is crouching down, sorting through a heap of torn and crumpled documents; Agnes takes them from him.

"To those who may follow," she reads, "I, Professor Lake, urge you to return home. Run away, fly, sail, from Antarctica and the cursed Mountains of Madness."

She pulls away two ship tickets which are clipped to the notes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 7 Encounter Phase
Ursula tracks down the source of the darkness in Istanbul to the Hagia Sophia. She is able to sense the weakness in the fabric of the universe and makes her way to a darkened chamber from which she can feel the dark power emerging. "Klaatu Barada Nikto!" she intones, uttering the words of the incantation. While the weakness remains present, the darkness retreats back through the portal whence it came. Emerging into the night, she and Sir William see that the sky is once again full of stars.
OOC,1 Clue spent. Rumor solved.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Well done with that Rumor. I didn't get a Clue even though I passed the test. :(
Turn 7, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: blue constellation [left hand]. Doom advances (15 down to 14).
Monster Surge: at The Pyramids

Image Image

Spawn Clue: London.
ooc,Agnes will be Lead Investigator. She'll try for the Dog Sled Unique Asset and move towards City of the Elder Things?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That all sounds good to me. When it's my turn, I'll Rest and use my Character Action to go to The Himalayas. There I'll have an Expedition Encounter and try to use my Mineralogical Research.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 8, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: . . . Dog Sled . . ? Influence [dice]0[/dice]

Action 2: Use Action on Dog Sled Ally, move to adjacent space (Frozen Waste), and then move to City of the Elder Things.

A dog howls outside the tent. Agnes raises an eyebrow at Danforth.

"I thought all living things had departed this sad place?" she says. The two exit the tent and find Penderghast with a husky, the animal is licking the laughing man's face. "Looks like you've got a friend!"

"Maybe," says Penderghast in-between licks, "but, frankly, it's a bit disgusting. Nice doggie," he pats the husky's head.

Twenty minutes later they are zipping across the frozen waste upon a sled, pulled along by a willing ally. Later, they strike camp in an unlikely city, sheltering inside a gargantuan tomb-like building.

"A mausoleum for something ungodly," mutters Danforth gloomily.

Agnes unpacks the radio. "Antarctica, latitude seventy degrees south. Miss Downs, Ursula, can you hear me, over? I've found an ancient necropolis, over. Will search for clues. Any advice, over?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 8 Action Phase
"I read you, Agnes," replies Ursula over the radio. "We've been to that city before. The Elder Things built it, or rather they got their slaves the shoggoths to do it. They weren't there when we visited, but they're supposed to return one day. If you bump into either of them, run! You may also run into more controlled humans there, like we did. Keep an eye out for murals with pictograms. They contain all sorts of useful information. There's also a plateau not far from the city where there's a gateway that can take you to places where the barrier between worlds is weak. There's a ritual described on the walls that activates it." She fills Agnes in on her discoveries and what she's been doing lately. "We've dealt with the darkness, and now we're off to the Himalayas to investigate legends of an ancient alien presence high in the mountains. Then I plan to come join you in Antarctica."

After recovering from her ordeal, Ursula and Sir William board a train that takes them to India, where they head off into the Himalaya Mountains.
OOC,Dog Sleds are nice! They do much the same thing as my special ability, but they only work in Antarctica. If I get one, I could use them together by chaining their Actions and potentially move three spaces in Antarctica in a single turn. Action 1: Travel: Istanbul->17 Action 2: Character Action: Move 17->The Himalayas, then Rest. 1 Sanity gained.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"See you soon, Ursula," she says into the microphone, trumpet thingy, and, "Over and out."

Turn 8, Encounter Phase: City of the Elder Things

. . . study some black seeds . . . Observation 2 -1 +1 [dice]0[/dice] gain Clue.

"I found these, actually Royce sniffed 'em out," says Penderghast, proffering some black seeds which the husky had scratched out of the snow.

Agnes takes them over to the sled, staring at the seeds held in her palm with an intent expression on her furrowed brow.

"You may need this," says Danforth, producing a brass microscope he had discovered among their equipment. Carefully sliding a seed under the optics Agnes studies it for many minutes.

She looks up finally, tosses and catches the remaining seeds. "Mr. Danforth," she says, blowing out air in a rasping whistle, "they are not organic, or of this world!"

New expedition in Rome.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 8 Encounter Phase
Ursula knows that the Himalayas are home to the Abominable Snowman, also called the Migou. This is similar to the Mi-Go mentioned in the tome she found, a species that was at war with the Elder Things. If they were able to put up a fight, they must have weapons that can harm the Elder Things, so she looks for any trace of them in the mountains. Before long, she and Sir William find a hidden Mi-Go outpost in a cave where they shelter from a snowstorm. It contains a human brain in a metal cylinder. There are various attachments connected to the cylinder.

"Hello," says a voice coming from one of the attachments that resembles a radio speaker.

Ursula is disturbed, but she forces herself to talk to the brain, as it may be her only source of information. "Uh, hello," she says. "I'm Ursula Downs. Who are you?"

"I'm Guruk, a Sherpa guide. I was killed in an avalanche, but the Mi-Go found my body and salvaged my brain. They gave me immortality of a sort, but you have no idea how lonely it gets here. Sometimes the Mi-Go come by, but most of the time they leave me on my own."

"Do you know where they keep their weapons? We need them to defeat their ancient enemies, the Elder Things."

"Sure! There's a glass cylinder hidden inside a plinth over in the corner that has one of them."

"Thank you, Guruk. That's just what we need to save the world." She find the hidden compartment in the plinth and opens it to reveal a round, opaque glass container with alien script written on it.

"What does it say?" asks Sir William.

"I think it means 'break glass in case of emergency.'" So she does, shattering it with her axe to reveal a black knob-like device that fits in the palm of her hand. "It doesn't look like much, but I'm sure it'll be effective."

The two of them also take soil samples from the area and analyze them using equipment found in the Mi-Go outpost, from which they learn some very interesting things.
OOC,Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Expedition Encounter: [dice]0[/dice] Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Expedition Encounter: [dice]1[/dice] Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Mineralogy Research: [dice]2[/dice] Alien Device Artifact gained. 2 Clues gained. Mineralogy Research discarded.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Super job; now the Hound! . . .
Turn 8, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: green comet. Doom advances (14 down to 13).
Reckoning Effects: Hound of Tindalos descends upon Ursula.

Image Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 8 Mythos Phase
Impossibly, a monstrous, vaguely canine form emerges from a corner of the alien laboratory. Instinctively, Ursula turns her lightning gun on the creature and disintegrates it. "That was a Hound of Tindalos!" she exclaims. "I read about them in the book. Once they catch your scent, they're nearly impossible to shake, or to kill. This weapon is amazingly powerful!"
OOC,Will check (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] = 5 dice) encountering the Hound of Tindalos: [dice]0[/dice] Strength check (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] -1[Hound of Tindalos] = 8 dice) fighting the Hound of Tindalos: [dice]1[/dice] Hound of Tindalos defeated. Thanks! After I (hopefully) beat the Crazed Elder Thing, I'll give you the Alien Device if you want. You're better suited for it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 8, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue at Tokyo.
Spawn Gate: Arkham (red sun) and

Image Image
ooc,Agnes to stay Lead Investigator, she'll spend a Clue and gain an Artifact, and then move back to Lake Camp?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Good plan! I'll Rest first, then move back to India and Acquire Assets to get to the Miskatonic Outpost so I can encounter the Crazed Elder Thing. If I only cause 1 damage to it, I'll finish it off with an Action on Turn 10. If for some reason I botch completely and do no damage, I'll zap it with an Action, then move to the Lake Camp and hand the Lightning Gun to you along with the Alien Device so you can finish it off on the same turn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9, Action Phase: City of the Elder Things

Action 1: Spend 1 Clue to gain 1 Artifact.

Action 2: Use Action on Dog Sled Ally, move to adjacent space (Frozen Waste), and then move to Lake Camp.

"Show me where the dog found those seeds," asks Agnes of Penderghast.

"Over here," he indicates the snow drifts either side of the entrance to the mausoleum.

She plays with Royce's furry ears while letting the husky smell the seeds in her palm. "Find me some more. Good boy. Yes, you're luvely! Go on." The husky understands Agnes' wish and scrabbles away at the snow drift, digging furiously and creating a small hill of snow which flies out from between its hind legs. Several feet deep Royce whinnies, and then retreats backwards rear first. Agnes, Danforth and Penderghast peer down the hole; embedded in the permafrost is an oily-coloured orb.

"It must be hundreds of years old!" says Penderghast, "Thousands?" wonders Danforth, "Millions," corrects Agnes.

"Miss Downs and Sir William will be at Miskatonic Outpost soon," says Agnes. "I desire to meet up again, and, maybe, share what we have discovered. Let's go back to Lake Camp."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 9 Action Phase
Ursula and Sir William return from the mountains and arrange an expedition to Antarctica. They don't have quite enough funds to pay for everything, so they have to take out a loan. They spend the voyage together, which makes the time pass faster. Before they know it, they arrive in Antarctica and head for the Miskatonic Outpost.
OOC,Action 1: Rest. Gain 1 Sanity. Action 2: Character Action: Move The Himalayas->17, then Acquire Assets. Influence roll (2 dice), Acquire Assets, Turn 9: [dice]0[/dice] Spend 0 Focus to reroll failed die: [dice]1[/dice] Acquire Bank Loan for 2 extra successes (the third is wasted because nothing costs 1 success). Acquire Debt Condition. Move 17->Miskatonic Outpost.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . Professor Lake's geological samples Obsevation 2 -1 +1[improvement] +2[Cursed Sphere] [dice]0[/dice]

"I don't understand these black seeds," says a perplexed Agnes.
ooc,Good luck vs. Crazed Elder Thing. I guess that if you defeat it you have an encounter.
Image Image +2 Health tokens on the Mystery.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 9 Encounter Phase
When Ursula arrives at the expedition's camp, there is no sign of anyone around. The buildings are all boarded up and barricaded from the inside. Then a creature rises into the air from behind one of the buildings. It looks just like the Elder Things she had seen on the murals in the ancient city and that were described in her book. She hands the Mi-Go weapon to Sir William. "Keep this trained on it," she says. "I'll use their own weapon against one of them."

Sir William activates the device, surrounding the Elder Thing with a pale blue glow. The creature swoops at the two of them, shrieking in fury, but Ursula calmly stands her ground and brings the lightning gun to her shoulder. Blue electric current emerges from the barrel and zaps it, and it falls to the ice, dead. "Scratch one Elder Thing!"
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4820339/]Will check (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] = 5 dice), encountering Crazed Elder Thing, Turn 9 (5d6.hits(5)=2)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4820340/]Stength check (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] -1[Crazed Elder Thing] = 8 dice), encountering Crazed Elder Thing, Turn 9 (8d6.hits(5)=3)[/url]. No Sanity lost. Crazed Elder Thing defeated. Woohoo! 8-) Thanks, now I can have a Location Encounter.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 9 Encounter Phase
With the Elder Thing dead, explorers and scientists in the buildings cautiously begin to remove the barricades and venture outside. "Thank you!" says one of them. "That thing had us trapped for weeks! We found it frozen in the ice and thought it was dead, but it was apparently in some sort of state of hibernation. When we started dissecting it, it came to life and attacked us!"

"Glad we could be of help," says Ursula. "I noticed you have some planes here."

"Yes, they're for doing aerial surveys, but nobody's going to fly in this weather. There's a storm coming."

Ursula talks to the pilots, but only one of them might be willing to go up under the circumstances. They had been playing a lot of poker while they were locked down by the Elder Thing, with nothing else to do, and he had lost a fortune - more than he could possibly repay. If she could cover his debts, he'd give her a ride.

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help," she says. "We had to go into hock just to get here."
OOC,I already have a Debt Condition, so I can't take another one even if I want to do so.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle