Mountains of Madness

Disturbed by Miskatonic University's expedition to Antarctica, the Elder Things awaken from their ancient slumber and threaten to overrun the world. Only mystical waitress Agnes Baker and intrepid explorer Ursula Downs can stop them and save humanity!

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Mountains of Madness

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Since we're already in Antarctica and we just drew the final Mystery, I suggest we concentrate on it and ignore the Rumor. I should be Lead Investigator so that I can Trade with you as I pass through. I'll use my first Action to move to the Lake Camp and Trade, then Travel with my second Action. I'll give you the Alien Device and one of my two Clues. That way you can go to City of the Elder Things and grab another Artifact, and we'll still each have a Clue left. On the following turn, we can both reach the Plateau of Leng and try to solve the Mystery. I'd better go first again then. I can use the Lightning Gun and then finish it off. If I somehow fail, you can finish it with your Monster Hunter.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Okay. This game will go down as one of the easiest ever, the Doom is still at 13!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Actually, I have a better idea. You can move to the Snowy Mountains and spend 1 Focus to improve a skill. I can meet you there and do the same with 0 Focus, then Trade with you. Then we can both have Encounters and move directly to the Plateau of Leng.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Okay. I forgot about the "move to the Plateau of Leng. . ." part of the location ability. Will post tomorrow (I'm on a tablet at the moment).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: use Dog Sled to move to Miskatonic Outpost, and then to Snowy Mountains.

Action 2: local Action @ Snowy Mountains: spend Focus to improve 1 skill (Strength).

Agnes passes by Miskatonic Outpost, on route for the Snowy Mountains. At the outpost she spots Ursula in conversation with a pilot. She scoots on by, waving and calling out from the dog sled.

"Miss Downs, URSULA!" she shouts above the swishing sound of the sled as it glides along, and the grunting of Danforth and Penderghast as they jog beside it while holding on, "see you at Snowy Mountains."
~
They find a food cache--cans of spinach mainly. Soon their primus stove is spluttering and the green stuff, heated inside its can, is nice and hot. Agnes eats a whole bowl of spinach. Afterwards she needs the toilet, not an attractive proposition here among the rock and ice. Squatting behind a bluff, the freezing air stinging her naked backside, she concentrates, and feels curiously strong within herself.

Back at the makeshift camp, Agnes continues rubbing together her hands with some snow and fine grit until they are clean and warm. Danforth is busying himself around the stove.

"Coffee's on," he says, "Miss Downs should join us soon."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 10 Action Phase
Unable to get a ride to the mountains on a plane and without a sled of their own, Ursula and Sir William have to proceed on foot. Fortunately, Ursula is an excellent navigator, and they make good time. Soon they catch up with Agnes and her party. Ursula runs forward and greets Agnes with a hug. "It's good to see you, Agnes," she says. "I've got something you might find useful. It's a device created by the Mi-Go, the ancient enemies of the Elder Things. It can harm them." She hands her the knob-like thing. Then she fills her in on their adventures since her last report, pointing at the ominous mountains looming in the distance. "Somewhere beyond those mountains of madness lies the plateau we found earlier, and the Guardian of Forever, which is the gateway between worlds. The Guardian is the key. If we can draw the Elder Things through it somehow, we can seal them in another world, preventing them from returning to Earth. But first we have to get beyond the mountains."
OOC,Action 1: Character Action: Move Miskatonic Outpost->Snowy Mountains, then Local Action: Spend 0 Focus to increase Influence. Action 2: Trade Alien Device given to [b]Agnes Baker[/b]. Is there anything else you want to exchange while we have a chance? I'm not sure if we also have an Encounter at the Plateau of Leng after moving there, but I'd guess not. The Location Encounter card I drew last turn specifically said I'd have an Encounter after moving to the Snowy Mountains.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Nothing else, thanks. I'll draw the Encounter cards tomorrow.
Agnes fingers the Alien Device. "What a curious object," she says while repeating, " 'Guardian of Forever,' " over and over again like the words have an unusual taste. "We'll succeed in drawing the Elder Things through the Gate, I just know it!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 10 Action Phase
"Oh, that's the easy part," says Ursula. "All we have to do is get them to chase us through the gate. It's getting back and sealing it that'll be tricky."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10, Encounter Phase: Snowy Mountains

. . . hold on to a hatch Strength 2 -1 +1[improvement] +2[Cursed Sphere] [dice]0[/dice]

Agnes nods and is about to reply to Ursula when a loud report followed by a splutter echoes through the mountain passes. "What . . . ?" she says. Turning round, they see a plane landing upon a field of snow, a level acre of ground before the Snowy Mountains begin its climb to unimaginable heights. "It must be one of those pilots you were chatting with at Miskatonic Outpost, Ursula." Agnes runs down to greet the pilot, waving as she does so, feeling exhilarated and energetic because the end of the alien god is at hand.

Ropes leans out of the cockpit. "Stand well back, miss," he calls to Agnes, "I'll just turn her ready for take off."

"I'd love to go up," shouts Agnes in a cloud of snow blown by the propeller, her hair flapping with the gust.

"Why not?" he shout back, and whoops. "Come aboard!"

The plane begins to gain speed; Ropes and Agnes grin at each other as its nose lifts. The jolt is such a shattering event that she is catapulted through the windscreen. She slides off but manages to grab a handle on the engine cowling, only aware of the rush of snow below her dangling feet and the tinkle of sherds from the smashed glass. The image of Ropes' eyes protruding on their stalks because he is being throttled by a glistening, placenta-like lasso is her last one before she drops to the snow field, hitting the ground at thirty miles an hour, spinning end on end, and losing consciousness.

Agnes Baker moves to Plateau of Leng as per the location ability of Snowy Mountains.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 10 Encounter Phase
"Agnes!" cries Ursula when she sees her fall out of the plane. Then the pilot is strangled and dragged from the airplane by an Elder Thing, and the aircraft is hit by turbulence. Ursula rushes for the controls, but she's not sure how to use them properly...and the plane is starting to lose altitude. Thinking quickly, she keys the radio's microphone. "Um...help!"

"Who is this?" asks a man's voice.

"Ursula Downs. I'm in a plane. The pilot's gone. How do I fly this thing?'

"All right, I'll talk you through it. Do you see the yoke? The control stick? That determines which way the plane moves."

"So if I push it, the plane goes up?"

"No! It goes down. Pull back to make it go up."

Ursula pulls on the yoke, and the plane levels off. "Okay, got it! Now what?"

The man on the radio continues to guide her, and soon she is able to land the plane safely, if not bumpily, on the plateau. She and Sir William climb out and race to where Agnes has fallen.
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4821639/]Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice) to fly the plane, Location Encounter, Turn 10 (4d6.hits(5)=2)[/url]. 1 Focus gained. Move to Plateau of Leng.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: blue constellation
. Advance Doom by 1 (13 down to 12).
Monster Surge: Hound of Tindalos @The Pyramids.

Image Image

Spawn Clue: space 20.
Text Effect: Agnes Baker gains

Heart of Corruption: [dice]0[/dice] but loses 2 Health and 2 Sanity. :(
ooc,Ursula Lead Investigator? Agnes will Rest and gain a Focus.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Action Phase
"Oh, poor Agnes!" cries Ursula, cradling her in her arms. She glances up at her companions. "You'll have to look after her until she recovers. Sir William and I will scout ahead and locate the Guardian."

As she is about to leave, she finds the injured pilot in a snowdrift and helps him. "Thank you, Miss!" he says. "You've even landed my plane intact! How can I ever repay you?"

"Could your expedition absorb some of the cost of mine? We spent a fortune to get out here."

"Consider it done."

Ursula and Sir William venture forth into the icy wastes, soon finding themselves back in familiar territory. They are able to locate the gateway again, a series of shimmering vistas of other worlds and other times visible in the arch, but this time there is something else. An animated skeleton carrying a rusty sword is patrolling in front of it. Ursula fires her lightning gun at it from a distance, sending splinters of bone flying from it, but an electric charge also shocks her!
OOC,Action 1: Local Action on Debt: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822028/]Influence roll (2 + 1[Improvement] = 3 dice), Debt Local Action, Turn 11 (3d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. Debt discarded. Action 2: Lightning Gun Action: 1 damage to Skeleton, 1 damage to me. You can't Rest while the Skeleton is still there. I did 1 damage to it, so now you can finish it off with your Monster Hunter and Rest for your second Action, which I'd advise.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,I realised afterward that the Skeleton would prevent Agnes her Rest action, but I totally forgot about the passive ability of the Lightning Gun and Monster Hunter. Well done! I was afraid Agnes may not survive to the end with 2 Health and 2 Sanity only.

Turn 10, Action Phase: Plateau of Leng

Action 1: use passive ability of Monster Hunter, Skeleton loses 1 Health.

Image Image

Action 2: Rest.

Agnes moans. "I suffered badly today," she whispers, and, "We are so close to the end." Danforth takes over from Ursula. He strokes Agnes' brow and straightens the fur blanket which covers her.

"Poor girl," he says, "poor girl."

Penderghast stamps in suppressed rage. "That Skeleton out there is preventing her recovery!" he growls, drawing his impressive knife. Crouching low, he steals towards the monster. . . .

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Encounter Phase
As Ursula and Sir William approach the portal, Elder Things swarm at them from all directions. "They'll follow us through!" she shouts. "Now's our chance!" Clasping his hand, she leaps through the gate.

The two of them find themselves in a lavish dance hall, filled with masked partygoers. Ursula discovers that she is wearing an exquisite green ball gown and a golden mask of her own, and Sir William is wearing a tuxedo and a black mask. Couples are dancing across the floor, so she and William act as they do to blend in.

"My sister thinks she will inherit the throne," whispers a blonde woman in a red mask to Ursula as she waltzes past, "but it is mine by right."

Then a tall man in a silver mask approaches. "Mind if I cut in?" he asks.

"As a matter of fact, I-" starts Sir William, but the stranger shoves him aside and whisks Ursula across the dance floor.

'Don't get any funny ideas," says Ursula, frowning. "He is my beloved."

"Oh, I'm not interested in that," says the masked man. "You seem an intelligent and capable woman. I need your help to secure the throne. If you assist me, I will give you a gift of great power."

"I would like to see this gift first."

"Of course. I knew you were clever. Here it is." He pulls an object out of a hidden compartment in his costume and shows it to her.

"Oh..."
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822298/]Influence roll (2 + 1[Improvement] = 3 dice) talking to the partygoers, Other World Encounter, Turn 11 (3d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822299/]Spend 0 Focus for reroll (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822302/]Spend 1 Focus for reroll (1d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. Artifact gained. If it's something that can get me a third Clue or substitute for a Clue, I can solve the Mystery. In the likely event that it can't, I'll have to become Delayed, as I only have two Clues and wouldn't be able to solve the Mystery if I spent them. That means you'll have to try to solve it in your Encounter. If that doesn't work, we'll be forced to go through another turn to try again later.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10, Encounter Phase: Plateau of Leng

. . . sneak past the [purple spider] . . . Observation 2 -1 +1[Improvement] +2[Curved Sphere] [dice]0[/dice]

. . . translate the strange symbols . . . Lore 4 +2[Curved Sphere] [dice]1[/dice]

1 Clue spent to place 1 Eldritch token on the Mystery. :D :)

Turn 10, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: red sun. Advance Doom by 3 (12 down to 9).
Reckoning Effects: Hound of Tindalos descends upon Plateau of Leng.

Image Image
ooc,Will Ursula fight it?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Encounter Phase
"What have you got there?" demands an imperious woman's voice. Ursula quickly hides the glass she's just been handed behind her back and looks up to see a tall woman in a white mask.

"Uh...nothing," says Ursula.

"Nothing, Your Majesty. I happen to be the Queen."

"I'm terribly sorry, Your Majesty. I did not recognize you with that mask you're wearing."

"And I do not recognize you with your mask. I command you to remove it!"

Ursula takes off her mask with one hand, holding the artifact behind her back with the other.

"Good," says the queen. "Now tell me everything you know!"

"That...could take a while."

"I have nowhere else to go."

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
After being interrogated by the queen for what seems forever, Ursula and Sir William eventually find themselves back on the plateau in front of the archway, as if they had never left. Then another of the strange beings that had attacked her in the Mi-Go outpost high in the Himalayas emerges from the intersection of the portal with the icy surface.

"Oh, not this again!" exclaims Ursula. She casually blasts it to nothingness with her lightning gun.
OOC,Heck yeah, I'll fight it! :D Well done on solving the final Mystery! Now we just have to get through the Mythos phase. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822621/]Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] = 5 dice) encountering the Hound of Tindalos, Turn 11 Mythos Phase (5d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4822622/]Strength roll (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] - 1[Hound of Tindalos] = 8 dice) fighting the Hound of Tindalos, Turn 11 Mythos Phase (8d6.hits(5)=3)[/url] No Sanity lost. Hound of Tindalos defeated.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: (cont'd) Rumor: Advance the Omen by 1, blue constellation [left hand]. Advance Doom by 1 (9 down to 8).
Sir William Brinton spawns 1 Clue, Snowy Mountains.
Cursed Sphere: Agnes Baker gains a Cursed Condition on a 1 or 2 [dice]0[/dice] --oh, nuts!
Spawn Gate: Miskatonic Outpost and Leng Spider.
Text Effect: Ursula and Agnes test Will -2. Ursula first . . .
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
Ursula turns to see Agnes pop back through the gateway. "You've done it, Agnes!" she cheers. "The Elder Things are now trapped in some other world, and our world is safe!" She stares longingly at the portal. "That can take us to all sorts of different times and places. I am an explorer at heart. It's so tempting to just walk through and..." She looks at Sir William. "No, I'm staying right here. We have a wedding to plan, after all!"
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4823093/]Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 1[Sir William Brinton] - 2[Mythos Card] = 2 dice) to resist going through the Gate (2d6.hits(5)=1)[/url].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11, Mythos Phase

Text Effects: (cont'd) Will 2 -2 +1[Improvement] +2[Cursed Sphere] [dice]0[/dice] --phew!

Mystery solved. :) Investigators WIN the game. :D

Agnes Baker skips with delight and embraces Ursula and Sir William, "I insist on being a bridesmaid!" she laughs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

[Image

Turn 11 Mythos Phase
Ursula hugs Agnes back. "You'll be my maid of honor!" she says.
OOC,Woohoo! :D 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Epsiode 2 - Mountains of Madness”