Mountains of Madness

Disturbed by Miskatonic University's expedition to Antarctica, the Elder Things awaken from their ancient slumber and threaten to overrun the world. Only mystical waitress Agnes Baker and intrepid explorer Ursula Downs can stop them and save humanity!

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Mountains of Madness

Post by Tabs »

Turn 4, Mythos Phase

Spawn Gate: Istanbul (green comet)

Image Image

Text Effect: Agnes Baker recovers 2 Health.
ooc,Everything you said sounds perfect. Ursula has max Health, so she'll be the Lead Investigator? . . .
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Action Phase
The old man, who introduces himself as Mr. Henderson, provides Ursula with some much needed medical supplies. She and Sir William join his mob of riled-up Texans in their raid on the Elder Things' base. They see the creatures in the distance, flying away. They apparently do not want to stick around and get killed.

The base shows some signs of human as well as alien habitation. Some of their mind-controlled servants must have used it too. "Look, over here!" says Sir William, pulling out a map of the world from under a pile of papers. It is marked with red pushpins. One corresponds to their current location, another to the ancient city in Antarctica...and a third to Panama. "I think I know where we're going next."

In the morning, Ursula radios Agnes with what she's discovered, using Henderson's ham radio set. Then she and her lover bid him farewell and board a train heading south, eventually arriving in Panama City.
OOC,Yes, I was already thinking that I should stay Lead Investigator, in case the Mythos card has a nasty effect, such as spawning a Wraith. One good thing about you going to Antartica is that I'll definitely be closer to the Hunting Horror. I can probably kill it, but I'll almost certainly lose some Sanity in the process. Action 1: Acquire Assets: Influence roll (2 dice): [dice]0[/dice] Wireless Report acquired. 1 Clue transferred to [b]Agnes[/b]. Wireless Report discarded. Action 2: Travel: 6->7
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Asset added to the reserve:

Agnes, speaking with Ursula via the radio, scribbles down notes as she listens. "Perfect, Miss Downs--the information: you have given me just what I needed. Take care in Panama. Over."
~
Turn 5, Action Phase: San Francisco

Action 1: Acquire Assets, discard Funding Condition, move to Miskatonic Outpost. Action 2: move to Lake Camp.

"How much?" exclaims Agnes when the loan shark tells her the interest charge. She snaps her fingers at Danforth, all the while looking steadily into the loan shark's eyes, and trying to appear like the complete business woman. Danforth produces the "golden ticket," hands it over to Agnes, who slaps it down on the desk.

Agnes, Danforth and Penderghast book a passage to Antarctica. One evening, at dinner aboard the ship, which steams down the west coast of the Americas, the three companions raise a glass in a silent toast to Ursula and Sir William.
~
They all dress in thick fur suits, snow shoes and supply themselves with food and whatnot. Outside of the depot ship they begin their trek to Lake Camp in brilliant sunshine, the Antarctica wilderness capped by a beautiful, azure sky.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Encounter Phase
Ursula and Sir William arrive in Panama City. Not far from the train station is a busy marketplace, where Sir William buys a circular hat with a low top and offers it to Ursula. "Here, it's called a Panama hat. I think it'll look smashing on you!"

Ursula smiles and tries it on, wearing it at a jaunty angle and twirling around. "Thank you!" she says. "I love it!"

"I knew I was right! Let's find the local library and see what we can uncover."

The two of them make their way to the library. Fortunately, they both know Spanish. In almost no time, they find an ancient book with the information they seek.
OOC,Don't forget to roll your 3 Influence dice! Funding can be used for two extra successes, but if you get an extra one from your dice you could buy an Asset too. If you get two or more successes, you won't even need to use Funding unless you want something else too. Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Research Encounter, Turn 5: [dice]0[/dice] Clue gained. Random Tome gained.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,I was so pleased with myself for having a Funding Condition I forgot about rolling dice.
Turn 5, Action Phase

[dice]0[/dice]

Agnes gains .45 Colt Revolver and .18 Derringer, replaced by Private Investigator and Bull Whip.

Ursula gains

Turn 5, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . free minds . . . Lore 4 -1 [dice]1[/dice]

Gain Research Student, discard and spend 1 Clue to place 1 Eldritch token on the Mystery.

The figure, bundled within horsehair blankets, bursts through the tent flaps; a dagger is raised, poised to strike Agnes. To the horror of Danforth and Penderghast, she doesn't fling herself to one side but just closes her eyes.

"I am Elseth-Ra, Sorceress, " she proclaims. The dagger and the figure fall upon the ice. She stoops and draws back the blankets to reveal a fresh-faced young man, he looks up into her eyes.

"You--you've released me," he murmurs.

Penderghast grabs hold of Agnes' shoulder. "Quick," he urges, "do it now. The Alien Ritual demands a sacrifice." She hesitates, unable to perform the heinous crime. Penderghast takes up the fallen dagger and plunges it into the young man's chest. His life gurgles away while clasping Agnes' hand.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: blue constellation
Monster Surge: Gate: Plateau of Leng (red comet) and

Image Image

Spawn Clue: City of the Elder Things.
Text Effect: Hallucinations Condition flipped:

ooc,Lead Investigator?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I forgot about the -1 to the Observation test, but I still got two successes even without the extra die. I'd better not be Lead Investigator this turn. My Sanity is dangerously low, especially with a Hunting Horror likely to attack me. I won't be going crazy with the Axe anytime soon. On the bright side, that Tome of Horrors was exactly what I needed! Rome may be costly even with it, but if the Hunting Horror attacks me, that leaves the Gate in Istanbul undefended. I can get there in one Action on Turn 7 from 10 by using my Character Action to move to The Pyramids and Travel to Istanbul, bypassing Rome. You should be okay next turn, as you'll be able to Rest and use Healing Words (and possibly give it up to place an Eldritch token on Sealing the Elder Gods, though that may best be done in Turn 7 to get further benefit from it). If a Wraith does pop up, I should be able to kill it for you. I hadn't read the Mystery as the player sacrificing the rescued person. I thought he/she would simply leave once freed (or you could give up a different Ally to keep the new one). It's the Elder Things that are carrying out the ritual, and we're trying to stop them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[quote]It's the Elder Things that are carrying out the ritual, and we're trying to stop them.[/quote] I hear ya!

Turn 6, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: Rest, gain 1 Health and cast

. . . recover additional Health . . . Lore 4 [dice]0[/dice]

Then flip this card 2+: You dream of a faraway paradise where your mind can be at ease. That investigator may discard 1 Madness Condition.

Action 2: Local Action at Lake Camp: test Influence 3 [dice]1[/dice]

:(
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Mythos Phase
That night, Ursula is asleep in her hotel room when she suddenly awakens with her skin crawling. She is horrified to discover that insects are swarming all over her! "NO!" she screams. "Get them off! GET THEM OFF!" More of the bugs crawl inside her open mouth, terrifying her further as she thrashes around wildly.

Sir William bursts into her room through the connecting door carrying a lit candle. "Ursula, what's wrong?" he asks, concerned, as he rushes to her side.

"Bugs!" she cries. "They're all over me!"

"Ursula, there's nothing there. You must have been having a nightmare." He hugs her tight.

Ursula relaxes and soon realizes that the insects aren't real. "But...but I was so sure...I must be losing my mind!" She sobs into his shoulder. "Hold me! Hold me and never let me go!"

Turn 6 Action Phase
In the morning, the couple go down to the docks and book passage on a steamship heading though the canal and across the Atlantic to West Africa. During the voyage, Ursula reads the tome she borrowed from the library, which has details about all sorts of monsters, not just the Elder Things.
OOC,I'll have a General Encounter on Space 10 and then use my Mineralogy Research to try to get two more Clues. Action 1: Prepare for Travel: Ship Ticket acquired. Action 2: Travel: 7->8->10[Ship Ticket]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 6, Encounter Phase: Lake Camp

. . . free minds . . . Lore 4 -1 [dice]0[/dice]

Gain 1 random Ally

Discard 1 Ally and spend 1 Clue to place 1 Eldritch token on the Mystery.

Agnes Baker listens to the shovels chopping into the snow and ice--Danforth and Penderghast are digging a hole for the young man's burial. She scuffs the snow at her feet, trying to hide the crimson stain, which seems to be everywhere. "So much blood," she mutters as she, almost frantically, attacks a pile of snow, spreading it around.

She glimpses beads, no, it's a pearl necklace! Such an incongruous thing to discover, here in Antarctica, she stares stupidly for a full minute. Next, she spots a reindeer boot. Falling upon her knees she scoops at the powdered snow until a body is revealed, pulling at its hood she is shocked to find the frozen features of a woman. The woman's white lips part.

"They kidnapped me," she croaks, "forced me to perform in an unspeakable ritual." She sobs, and says no more.

Agnes thinks about the startling information which Ursula radioed her--the aliens, the obscene, winged, eye-stalk creatures, and looks upon the poor woman's frozen features, shudders, and knows an unbearable pathos.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Encounter Phase
The steamship arrives in Dakar, the capital of Senegal, and Ursula and Sir William disembark. They equip themselves for a journey into the interior of Africa and quickly set out into the jungle. The heat is oppressive, and the mosquitos are merciless. Ursula soon becomes feverish and comes down with a case of malaria, but Sir William takes care of her and she manages to endure her illness and recover. The soil in the region looks unusual. They take some samples and run a few tests, but they can't determine anything about it.
OOC,Strength roll (3 dice), General Encounter, Turn 6: [dice]0[/dice] Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Mineralogical Research: [dice]1[/dice] Reroll, spending 0 Focus: [dice]2[/dice] Well, I didn't get the extra Clues, but at least I don't get Hallucinations again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[quote]I didn't get the extra Clues[/quote] Oh well. We're still on course to win! However, the Mythos card I just drew is a stinker.
Turn 6, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: red sun. Advance Doom (15 down to 13).
Reckoning Effects: Hunting Horror descends upon Ursula.

Image Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Mythos Phase
Ursula is awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of something flying overhead. Looking up, she sees a huge monster swooping down on her! She shrieks in absolute terror, though knowing what it is helps alleviate the horror somewhat. It is a Hunting Horror, a creature that can be harmed by light, which explains why it gives the campfire a wide berth. She is barely out of her sleeping bag when it strikes. It wraps its tentacle-like tail around her throat and begins to throttle her, but she manages to break free and grab her alien weapon. "Don't like light, do you?" she asks, pointing what she hopes is the barrel at the thing. "Let's see how you like this!" She fires it, and a blue crackling surge of electricity strikes it full on, disintegrating it utterly. There is not a trace of it left.
OOC,Will check (2 + 1[Improvement] + 2[Tome of Horrors] - 1[Hunting Horror] = 4 dice) encountering the Hunting Horror: [dice]0[/dice] Strength check (3 + 6[Lightning Gun] = 9 dice) fighting the Hunting Horror: [dice]1[/dice] 2 Sanity lost. Hunting Horror defeated. Well, it's a good thing I don't have any Spells I want to keep, or I'd have to lose them. I'm lucky I have the Tome of Horrors, or I'd be a gibbering wreck. You might want to hold onto at least two of your Spells, including Healing Words, as you'll probably gain 2 Sanity when you Rest and might even be able to lose the Madness Condition.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 6, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue, Heart of Africa.
Rumor: Discard 1 Eldritch token for each Gate . . . (5 down to 3).
Spawn Gate: The Pyramids (blue constellation) and

Image Image

Text Effect: Agnes discards Storm of Spirits, loses 2 Sanity for her remaining Spells, and gains

2nd Mystery solved, :D new mystery:

Image of Crazed Elder Thing to come.
ooc,I'll be the Lead Investigator. The Mystery requires the Alien Device Artifact to kill he Crazed Elder Thing, I thought that Agnes could cast, pass and discard both of her Spells, flip Sealing the Old Ones, and, hopefully, solve the Mystery?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That sounds good, but how does Sealing the Elder Gods solve the mystery? We can't damage the Crazed Elder Thing without the Alien Device Artifact. Does that card give you an Artifact somehow? If not, there's the City of the Elder Things (you'll need another Clue first), or I can move to the Himalayas after I'm done solving the Rumor in Istanbul. I can hopefully get an Artifact from the Expedition Encounter, plus I'll have another chance to grab two Clues. You should definitely be Lead Investigator. If I lose any more Sanity, I'll go completely doolally. It's bad enough that another monster spawned that will hunt me down. Luckily, the Tome of Horrors will ensure I don't lose more than 1 Sanity from it, and I can get one back first by Resting before going to Istanbul with my second Action.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Image
ooc,I didn't comment upon Ursula's Sanity: she's pretty close to the mental edge. :( There is the Rumor to deal with, although we have 2 or 3 turns left. I just read the Rumor ". . . on a space containing a Gate (no need to encounter it) . . . spend Clue. . . ." Advance the Mystery: with an Epic Monster place 2 Health damage upon the Mystery--the Sealing the Old Ones card will say something like that.

Turn 7, Action Phase: Lake Camp

Action 1: Rest, and then cast Healing Words + spend 1 Health for 2 additional dice: Lore 4 +2 [dice]0[/dice]

Then flip this card 2+: You dream of a faraway paradise where your mind can be at ease. That investigator may discard 1 Madness Condition.

Gain a total of 1 Health, 2 Sanity, discard Hallucinations Condition, and discard Spell to place 1 Eldritch token upon Sealing the Old Ones.

Action 2: Cast Conjuration: Lore 4 +1 [dice]1[/dice]

Gain Bull Whip, replaced by Urban Guide (image to come).

Then flip this card 1-3: For a moment, your mind is exposed to a powerful intelligence, dwelling between worlds. Lose 1 Sanity.

Discard Spell to place 1 Eldritch token upon Sealing the Old Ones and flip the card

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 7 Action Phase
Ursula can't stop shaking for a long time, but Sir William's presence helps calm her down. The two of them journey across North Africa and eventually arrive in Egypt, where she can't shake the feeling that she's being watched. They then board a train that takes them to Istanbul.
OOC,Sealing the Elder Gods won't damage the Crazed Elder Thing at all. The Mystery says "It cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Alien Device Artifact." We're going to need to get it. Even if Advancing the active Mystery did damage the monster, it would only be one point (the number of Eldritch tokens doesn't matter for that). At least it retreats Doom by 2. I need to encounter the Rumor now (and it says it does require an Encounter, so I can't encounter the Gate). I can do it with no risk at the moment, but anything could happen to me after this turn, and we don't have as long as you might think. Next turn I plan to go to the Himalayas, where I may be able to find the Alien Device. If you get the Clue, you might want to head for City of the Elder Things and try to get an Artifact that way, but I think I can do this faster. If I get the Alien Device, on the next turn I can use my character's Action to travel to India and then Acquire Assets to get to the Miskatonic Outpost (probably taking a Bank Loan). My other Action will be used to Rest again before moving, bringing my Sanity to 3 as long as I don't lose any more. Or I could take a risk and use my second Action for the Lighting Gun's built-in Action. I can then hopefully kill the Crazed Elder Thing with the Lightning Gun. If that doesn't quite kill it, I can use the Lightning Gun's Action the following turn to do another point of damage. If that's not enough, I could then move to Lake's Camp, where you could trade with me, take the Lightning Gun, and go to the Outpost to finish it off. Action 1: Rest. 1 Sanity gained. Action 2: Character Action: Move: 10->The Pyramids, then Travel: The Pyramids->Istanbul
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,I think you're wrong about the no. of Health damage, possibly about requiring the Alien Device Artifact, and about the Rumor encounter*. I'll just head over to BGG and see if I can find answers. . . . https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1384898/sealing-old-ones-unique-asset-and-invasion-elder-t * I re-read my post and we misunderstand each other, I meant no Encounter card needs be drawn, so, yes, there is an encounter to solve the Rumor, but it only involves discarding a Clue. The other stuff you say sounds good, Agnes will encounter the Clue at Lake Camp.

Return to “Epsiode 2 - Mountains of Madness”