Mountains of Madness

Disturbed by Miskatonic University's expedition to Antarctica, the Elder Things awaken from their ancient slumber and threaten to overrun the world. Only mystical waitress Agnes Baker and intrepid explorer Ursula Downs can stop them and save humanity!

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Mountains of Madness

Post by Tabs »

Turn 3, Action Phase: Arkham

Gain 1 Train ticket, and move, spending ticket, from Arkham to San Francisco.
~
Agnes Baker pops into Arkham's Train Station.

"Hi, Bill," she says, "a ticket to Frisco, please."

"Why you going 'cross country, Miss Baker?" says the Ticket Master as he stamps and signs a slip of printed card.

"The conversion or murder of a deluded sociopath, and the probable teleportation to another dimension." "Eh?" says Bill, cupping his hand behind his ear. She smiles. "Oh, you know, family wedding, the usual kinda thing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 3 Action Phase
"We can get through this together," says Sir William, rubbing Ursula's shoulders. "What happened was not your fault. He would have killed you if you hadn't killed him first. Whatever's going on, we can resolve it. We're just going to need more information, and we're going to need help."

Ursula nods. "We have to figure out how to free people who are being controlled," she says. "And we need to find a quicker way out of here. I don't fancy trudging across the ice until we find the expedition. Maybe there's some way to activate that archway through which we arrived. There could be more information in those pictograms."

The two of them begin once more to examine the murals. "These images show the aliens returning to this city," she says, "but it's still deserted. Could they be showing what will happen in the future?"

"I think you're right," says Sir William. "Maybe there's some way we can prevent it from happening. Look at this series. I think it shows how they enslave their puppets. There's some sort of ritual depicted here."

"If it's followed in reverse, it could break the control!" She kisses Sir William, then goes back to her examination. "And look over here! It shows the archway, and there's another ritual depicted that they use to travel through it! I think we've got what we need now." She takes the late professor's parka and wraps it about herself while he takes the backpack and stuffs the sleeping bag into it. "Let's leave this city on the edge of forever."

The two of them retrace their steps back to the barren plateau and the gateway that standsin the middle of it. They carry out the ritual instructions depicted in the city, and a shimmering image comes to life showing a city that was a mix of old and new. "That's Rome!" Ursula exclaims. "I reocgnize the Coliseum."

"I am the Guardian," a gentle voice speaks into Ursula's mind. "Through me you can reach all of space, all of time." The image fades, replaced by a fog-shrouded, hilly city. A streetcar is climbing one of those hills, its bell audible through the portal.

"And that's San Francisco! Come on, let's go!" She grabs Sir William by the hand and leaps through the archway with him.
OOC,Action 1: Local Action: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4819226/]Observation check (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice) at City of the Elder Things, Turn 3 (4d6.hits(5)=3)[/url] 1 Clue gained. Action 2: Character Action: Move: City of the Elder Things->Plateau of Leng, then perform Local Action: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4819227/]Lore check (3 dice) at the Plateau of Leng, Turn 3 (3d6.hits(5)=1)[/url] Move: Plateau of Leng->San Francisco Do we trade anything now? I think it's best if [b]Agnes[/b] attempts to solve the Mystery, as she has better Lore and is more likely to free the Cultists. In that case, she should keep [b]Danforth[/b], but I can give her the Clue I picked up (and she can find another in Antarctica on the way).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,A hiccup. Trade is an Action and we have none left, so if Agnes moves to Plateau of Leng Turn 3. . . . How about Ursula stays in the City of the Great Race, gains a Clue or Artifact, and meets up with Agnes Turn 4?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I've already rolled my dice, so it's too late to take back my Actions. I think you should just go ahead, deal with the Cultist and the Gate, and go to Leng anyway. You should be able to get two Clues while in Antarctica, but it might be hard with only 2 Observation.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[quote]I've already rolled my dice, so it's too late to take back my Actions. [/quote] Yes, you're right. Anyhow, I woke up with a better idea: Agnes stays in Frisco, Turn 4 she Trades a Clue with Ursula before jetting off (figure of speech) to Miskatonic Outpost, using Aquire Assets (see Legend), that way she'll be closer to Lake Camp as well.

Turn 3, Encounter Phase: San Francisco

Image Image

Free the victim's mind . . . Lore 4 -1 [dice]0[/dice]

. . . your body rots from within Strength 2 -1 [dice]1[/dice]
. . . illness worsens . . . Influence 3 [dice]2[/dice]
Lose 2 Health and

ooc,Oh dear! Agnes is down to 1 Health. If there is a Reckoning on the next Mythos card she's done for. :cry:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That is awful! Both of the green Mythos cards (without Reckonings) dropped last turn, and one of the yellow ones (with a Reckoning) was drawn on the first turn. That leaves another yellow and a blue (Rumor, no Reckoning) in the first set, which gives you a 50/50 chance. I'll try my luck with the Gate now to see if I can close it, but I won't go to Leng. Instead I'll stay in San Francisco, going first on Turn 4. If [b]Agnes[/b] survives, I'll use my first Action to trade with her (she needs both of her Actions on her own turn, as the card for that Mythos phase will have a Reckoning for certain if this one doesn't. She'll need to Rest first of all. Then she can use her second Action to Acquire Assets (using Funding if needed) and move to the Miskatonic Outpost (I completely forgot you can do that). If she doesn't survive, I'll stay where I am the next turn (using a Rest Action and one other Action that doesn't require me to move) so I can encounter her. Then I'll have to go to the Miskatonic Outpost myself, most likely taking a Bank Loan, on Turn 5. You can choose the order of your Conditions' Reckoning effects if there is one, so you have a chance to flip Funding before you go down. I don't know what's on the other side of the card, as I've never gotten Funding before, so I'm not sure if it will help.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,I want Agnes to live! but an encounter with her in hospital may retreat Doom. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 3 Encounter Phase
Ursula and Sir William appear in a mist-shrouded alley in San Francisco through a whirling vortex of alien energy. A big man then stumbles out from it, cradling a dying woman in his arms.

"Quick, she needs help!" cries Ursula rushing over to assist. However, she and her paramour are caught up in the vortex and pulled through it once again.

They find themselves on a barren purple plain. It is night, and the sky is full of stars - as well as flying creatures that look like crosses between insects, crustaceans, and mushrooms. "That one star looks bigger and brighter than the others," says Sir William. "It's not part of any constellation I know, and it's not Venus. You are."

"That's the sun!" exclaims Ursula. "Which means we're on another planet, much further away from it than Earth." She glances behind herself. Whatever portal they passed through is no longer there, but she does see a city of green pyramids in the distance, at which she points. "That way! I've noticed those creatures are avoiding it. We'll be safe from them there."

"Yes, but will we be safe from whatever they're afraid of?" asks Sir William.

Ursula doesn't respond, afraid of the answer herself. Instead she leads the way there. Before long they reach the city. In the exact center of it is a mysterious box, which Ursula snatches. Before she can look inside, there are a series of rumbling noises coming from one of the pyramids.

"Hide!" hisses Sir William. Working together, the two of them find a small dome nearby with a narrow entrance and crawl inside. The sounds get closer, and Ursula trembles until they start moving away. Soon they stop entirely, and the two of them emerge.

"I have to know what's inside that pyramid," says Ursula. They venture into it and find another mystical gateway. Ursula repeats the ritual she had learned in the city in Antarctica, and they activate the portal and pass through it, closing it from the other side.
OOC,Will check (2 + 1 [Improvement] + 1 [Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Other World Encounter, Turn 3: [dice]0[/dice] Observation check (3 + 1 [Sir William Brinton] -1 [Encounter] = 3 dice), Other World Encounter, Turn 3: [dice]1[/dice] Artifact gained. Gate closed. Depending on what the Artifact is, I may want to go back to Leng after all (especially if it boosts my Lore or generates a Clue). I might even have found a Gate Box. I accidentally rolled one too many dice (forgot about the -1), but I still succeeded since my success was on the third die. I didn't even need to use my free Focus reroll, but it might be useful in the Mythos Phase.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Well done Ursula with that Gate! The Artifact: it's a cool weapon. And I lucked out on the Mythos card.

Spawn Clue: Space 6.
ooc,If Ursula stays in Frisco, and wishes to chat with Agnes. . . .
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Action Phase
Ursula and Sir William pop out of the portal in the exact same location they left. They could have gone to Antarctica, but they have to try to help the woman. Though they spent a while on the alien planet, no time appears to have passed here. They assist the man carrying her, who introduces himself as Danforth and the woman as Agnes Baker, bringing her to the hospital. As they walk, all of the stars suddenly fall from the sky, vanishing into the San Francisco fog. The night has never been darker.

While Agnes recovers, Ursula fills them in on everything she's discovered and the progress of her journeys so far. She also opens the box, which contains an odd and powerful-looking projectile weapon. Its stylings remind her of the flying five-sided creatures on the murals in Antarctica, just as the pyramids where she had found it were similar to the ones in their frozen city.

"When you're well enough," says Ursula, "you should organize an expedition to Antarctica to stop the creatures from taking over the minds of the members of the Miskatonic Expedition. I have to do something about the darkness. I can keep you informed of my progress via radio."
OOC,Action 1: Trade with Player (1 Clue given) Action 2: Travel: San Francisco->6 Hooray, [b]Agnes[/b] lives! :D Really I needed to decide where I was going after I saw the Artifact but before I knew anything about the Mythos card, but I would have stayed given that the Artifact won't directly help me solve the Mystery, so that's what I'll do. It might have been a good idea to go to Lake's Camp in Turn 3, but I think we'll do just as well this way, plus I got an awesome weapon! It's even better in conjunction with the Axe's special ability, as if I botch completely I can give up some Sanity to reroll all those dice. Lily could really have used either or both of them against Shub-Niggurath's horde in the last game. Now that I have the Lightning Gun, I should be able to handle Rome (it can damage the Ghost before I encounter it) if a better Gate doesn't open up. I'll handle the Rumor, and I should have more than enough time. If I get the Clue on space 6, I could WIreless Report it to you on Turn 5, which will save you at least one turn towards solving the Mystery. I can get another Clue (two actually) by visiting a Wilderness space such as 10 (right near Rome) and using Mineralogical Research, if one doesn't pop up in a more convenient location. Is there anything else you think we should exchange or you wish to say before I leave?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,That all sounds good. The Lightning Gun and Axe combo is a fab one!

Agnes Baker is helped over to a chair; she almost crumples into it with her cheek lolling against its headrest.

"I'm utterly exhausted," she whispers, rubbing her stomach and grimacing at the pain and memory of the aliens. She recognises Danforth kneeling before her, his face a horrible picture of concern, and the peculiar, oriental man whose mind she rescued, "Penderghast," he says and bows; also there is Ursula and Sir William.

"Expedition to Antarctica," she repeats Ursula's words. Agnes nods slowly in agreement. "Yes, we will go to Antarctica soon, God willing." She shivers.
~
Agnes pushes the headphones a little harder against her ear and speaks loudly into the small trumpet on the radio set. "Please be careful Miss Downs. Throw some coins into the Trevi fountain for me!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Action Phase
"Thank you, Agnes," replies Ursula, "You take care too, and I wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry I have to involve you in this, but you're one of the few people who would believe me, having been through the gateway too. I think Rome is where I can do something about the darkness. The fabric between worlds is weaker there, and there are reports of strange creatures not of this world in Rome. They might have come through a portal. I'll stop off in Texas along the way to follow up on a lead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 4, Action Phase: San Francisco

Gain 1 Focus, and Rest.

"Don't be sorry," replies Agnes, "We have the honour of saving our planet!" Danforth coughs quietly and Penderghast studies the sandals on his feet, she adds, "And Sir William and the others of course."

She fingers the Clue, which Ursula gave to her, and wonders what the future holds for herself and pictures those awful, slavering beasts who await Ursula in Rome.
~
Poisoned Condition flipped:

Lore 4 [dice]0[/dice]

Agnes' claw-like fingers grasp the armchair as she trembles and perspires, beads drip from her forehead and soak her blouse; both Danforth and Penderghast grip her forearms when she begins to convulse, jerking dangerously. Her veins glow with a frightening luminosity, before a stream of putrid light ejaculates out of her mouth.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That looks like a General Encounter. I was going to encounter the Clue on this space, so shouldn't I have a Research encounter? Also, I thought you were going to Acquire Assets with your second Action in order to go to the Miskatonic Outpost. You can still get to Lake's Camp next turn if you do that, but only if you don't also Rest on that turn, which could be a problem. We probably shouldn't delay solving the second Mystery and revealing the third any longer than necessary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Agnes may not make it to Turn 5! if she croaks it will delay us worse than as is. The Focus gave her a second chance of getting rid of the Poisoned Condition and, now, with the upcoming encounter and Mythos card.
General Encounter discarded, Research Encounter:

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Encounter Phase
Ursula and Sir William get off the train in a small Texas town where they have heard there are reports of strange things in the night sky. After spending some time going around asking questions, they finally get some useful information from an old man sitting on a rocking chair on his porch with a shotgun on his lap.

"Yeah, I seen 'em flying around at night," he says. "They ain't natural - not of this world! They tend to fly to and from the big mountain outside of town. I think it's their base. These critters look just like something I read about in a book once. They're called Elder Things, and there's a prophecy that says that the stars will fall from the sky before they return to reclaim the Earth. Just like what happened last night!"
OOC,That's a good point. That gives me some more time to get you a second Clue, at least. Observation roll (3 + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Research Encounter, Turn 4: [dice]0[/dice] Clue gained.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 4, Encounter Phase, San Fancisco

. . . study . . . Megapolisamancy . . . Lore 4 [dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 4, Mythos Phase

Reckoning Effects: Sir William Brinton spawns Clue, Space 7.
Ursula's Hallucinations Condition:

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Mythos Phase
Ursula feels far more confident, thanks to finding important information and being in Sir William's company. "We should do something about that base," she says.

"Already on it," says the old man. "I've organized a posse to go up there tonight and wipe out those critters! We'll teach them not to mess with Texas!"
OOC,I forgot that I also get back a Sanity point for [b]Sir William[/b] after the Research Encounter. With the 2 Health I regain from the Mythos card, I'll be back up to full. We were very lucky! Now that you can regain 2 Health yourself, you won't need to Rest on Turn 5 and can Acquire Assets to get to the Miskatonic Outpost, then Travel to Lake's Camp, which saves us a turn. You'll have plenty of time to Rest (with Healing Words) while solving the Mystery there. On Turn 5 I plan to Acquire Assets to get the Wireless Report and send you the second Clue (if I'd been thinking, I could have saved an Action on Turn 4 and just sent you both Clues), then Travel to 7 where a new Clue conveniently appeared. Unless a better Gate opens, such as in Buenos Aires or Arkham, I can head for 10 on Turn 6 to get two more Clues and then go to Rome on Turn 7 to finish off the Rumor. Will roll (2 + 1[Improvement] + 1[Sir William Brinton] = 4 dice), Hallucinations Reckoning, Turn 4: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Epsiode 2 - Mountains of Madness”