The Priory 1943

1943, the Welsh/English border. Sometimes that which is hidden is best left undisturbed.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

The Priory 1943

Post by Priest »

The Priory 1943

The Red Lion, Severn Road near the river in the city of Gloucester, October 1943. For most people the dark years of Hitler’s war continue, however for two, possibly friends or associates currently on leave from the forces and enjoying the fresh taste of a local bitter, the pub offers a brief moment of peace and normality.

In the public bar of the ‘Lion’, a radio blasts out some tune by an American swing band and an accompanying female vocalist singing something about a ‘boogie-woogie bugle boy’.

To one end of the wood clad bar, near a much used darts board, a group of four ‘locals’, dressed for the season in tweeds and caps, are in deep conversation. Their voices rise and fall in the burr of the local accent,

“They say that you can hear noises like thousands of rats slithering inside the hill”

“Probably water flowing somewhere beneath”

“No can’t be since the hill has no history as a water source”

“They do say something bad happened up there some twenty years back”

“Who told you all this?”

“Comes from the local Home Guard, seems they were set guard over the road up to the hill to keep people away”

“And?”

“Young Harry Williams from Anchester was one of them. I heard it from his Ma”

“Probably some kind of soil disturbance caused by the bomb”

“Probably, still that’s what young Williams said, and his Ma says he worried about having to go back there”

“No one likes to go to that hill. I’ve heard its haunted or something”

“Ha, you and your ghosts”

At the mention of “Anchester” something moves in the memory of Oliver. It is a name he remembers hearing whispered amongst members of his family…
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The Priory 1943

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver perches on a bar stool, a pint in his hand as he sings:
"Hitler...has only got one ball.
Goering...has two but ve-ry small.
Himmler...has something sim'lar.
And Joseph Goebbels...has no balls...at all!"

With that, he takes a deep drink from his mug and listens to the conversation around him. "Anchester," he says, stroking his chin. "I know I've heard about that place before." He racks his brain in an effort to recall what he has heard about it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Maurice sits by the Oliver. Not joining in the singing, but listening, and drinking.

His smile is complex. On the one hand, he enjoys Oliver's good spirits. On the other hand, he feels incompetent beside him. He stifles a cough. The smoke in the bar is unpleasant. Unpleasant for him, anyway.

"Good to see your spirits are high. As are mine" he said, raising his own gin and tonic above his head before drinking it. A little pun.

"Don't mind the locals. The usual quaint ghost stories of the local, I am sure" he said. Although the truth was, they had an awful poetry to them.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Oliver Carpenter,Anchester, a vague memory of half whispered conversations when you were growing up. Conversations that ended abruptly with your entrance. As fast as the memory rises another obscures it, Uncle Stephen, a shadowy figure from your Mother’s family, never met and hardly mentioned. For some reason the two memories seem to fit together. An ice cold feeling trickles down your spine similar to that you had experienced while waiting your turn to exit that plane at the start of Operation Crusader. You finish your beer with a gulp and turn to the conversation at the bar.
Maurice Grey,Smiling at you companions singing of the well known song, you lift your pint mug and take a steady drink – it might be a long night so you stop and replace the mug on the table top. You notice that something in Oliver’s demeanour has changed, suddenly it looks as if he’s deep in thought as if trying to chase an elusive memory.
Previously Maurice Grey said:   "Good to see your spirits are high. As are mine"... "Don't mind the locals. The usual quaint ghost stories of the local, I am sure"  
The conversation at the bar now seems to have moved to the price of sheep, but the atmosphere within the pub seems to have changed subtely, as if the temperature within has fallen slightly. If it has then the other patrons have noticed it too as several of them seem to have shrunken within their tweed coats as if suddenly subjected to a cold wind...
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver raises his own drink and takes another swallow. "No, I know I've heard of it before," he says. "I think it has to do with my Uncle Stephen, my mother's brother. My family has been involved with some unusual things, but they would never talk about it around me when I was a child. I must have heard them mention Anchester. There's something wrong about it, something...dangerous."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Maurice puts down his drink, sombre. Although bitter at the war, he found his invalidity away from it more vexing; a sense of futility that he would dearly shed if he could. Painting gave him some sense of purpose, but it was not enough.

And lately his paintings had felt bleak, as though some malign spirit infected the ink.

"I would have thought you thrived on danger, Sir" he comments, stroking the half-growth on his chin. Gods, how had he let himself go? A man should shave, or if not, cultivate a groomed beard.I must shave tonight, pull myself together!. He feels an acute sense of portliness; exercise was difficult for him, the long walks in the country that would have melted the fat away had been so short of late.

Unbidden, he heaves a heavy cough into his hand. A few flecks of blood are left on his palm. He many not have been getting worse, but he was hardly getting better.

"Dammit, Sir!" he blusters. "I have had enough of sitting around watching the world go by like some fool. If there is a story to be heard, I would hear it! If there is danger in the air, let us face it!"

He calls over to the young men who had been talking. "I say gentlemen! I could not help but hear you and your talk of ghosts and ghouls! Please, allow me to buy you a drink and let us hear more!" he suggests, tossing a liberal amount of coin to the bartender. He was far from rich, but he could at least afford a round of drinks.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Maurice's words the group turn as if noticing you for the first time.

"Aye don't mind if I do. Mines a pint of mild and I guess the others will be having the same" The speaker, a tall thin faced man with features worn through long years of toil in the outdoors, was the one who had spoken last and poured scorn on his companions "ghosts". With a quick glance at his companions and a slow slide up the bar to where you sit, he politely tips his cap, "So you wish to know of ghosts and ghouls? Well you have come to the right place, old Clewy here can tell you tales to make your blood freeze"

One of the four an elderly chap and obviously the one called Clewy, nods eagerly. While the others await the pints of mild that the barman is pulling.

"Truth" says Clewy, the accent of the Welsh valleys strong on his voice, "Shall I tell you of the Trevor woman? Said to be so evil that she could make the calf to be dead in its mother's womb. She was known throughout the borderlands as "God's scourge", and the bane of all that was holy. It was said she had a mantle made from the skins of unbaptised children" he raises the pint of mild in your direction before taking a long drink that empties over half the glass. He wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, "Aye pure evil she were, it is said that ten bishops came to watch her burn. They still sing of her throughout the land, and tell children tales to make sure they behave. Aye Lady Margaret Trevor burned at the stake in 1640 something"

Again he drinks this time leaving the glass empty. He puts in back on the bar top with a bump, "Or is there something particular you would know of?"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver joins the group as well. "Have you ever heard of a chap named Stephen?" he asks, adding his mother's maiden name, which is her brother's surname as well. "He may have been around these parts years ago."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Previously Oliver said:   "Have you ever heard of a chap named Stephen Daniels?"..."He may have been around these parts years ago."  
For a couple of seconds the thin faced chap rubs his chin, thoughtfully. "Tis a common enough name round these parts, but I cannot recall ever knowing anyone by that name" Again he runs his hands over his chin, "From around these parts you say? Several years ago? Hmmm"

"I seem to thinkl there was a Daniels involved with that thing up at Exham years back" Says one of the others.

The one named Clewy suddenly comes alert, "That'll be the Priory, or the priory as was. Twenty years ago, if I recall. Nasty buisness". He picks up his empty glass and holds it up to the light - suggestively. Around him the others nod knowingly.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Maurice puts down his drink - he has drunk a little too much a little too quickly - and leans in on the conversation.

He loved a good story. Always had. He was a poet at heart.

"The Priory? Sounds enthralling. Please, tell us the tale!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"Well...Mr? I always like to know who's buying my beer" Clewy smiles at you and puts the glass in front of you.

"Legend tells of a haunted Priory up on the hill at Exham. Haunted not just by ghosts, but, according to some, the devil himself. It was even said that the notorious devil worshipper Margaret Trevor lived there for a while, when the Priory was owned by the de la Poer's a family said to be accursed and steeped in the blood of innocents"

He pauses as another pint of mild appears in front of him, "Your health" he raises the glass and in one swallow seems to drain a third of the contents. "Now where was I? Oh yes" slowly, his voice droning slightly like some venerable school teacher, he begins to recount a story of a family called de la Poer who it seemed had held the lands around Anchester for the Kings of England for many centuries. It would seem from the tale that the vile practices of the de la Poer's were overlooked as they made such a splendid job of keeping the peace on this often violent border. However during the reign of James I, the excesses of the family resulted in the murder of most of the family. As a result the land reverted to the crown and it was rumoured that the murderer, a member of the family, fled, unopposed to the American colonies and disapeared.

From that time the Priory, or rather the ruins of the Priory, were said to be cursed and avoided by the locals after dark. Then following the 1914-18 war a rich American had arrived with plans to reconstruct the Priory as it must have looked before it was abandoned. He had all but finished the reconstruction when something, obviously to do with the curse, dark happened.

As he finishes the last drop of beer in his glass, Clewy with a smack of his lips looks directly at you, "They say that on certain nights, when the moon is at its fullest and there is hardly a cloud to be seen, that you can hear a strange slithering sound coming from within the hill. Some say it sounds like rats, thousands of rats, sliding and squirming somewhere below your feet. Others say its 'Old Nick' climbing long forgotten tunnels from hell to snatch the souls of the unwary"

As he finishes the tale there is a low sound of aniggering from several of the group, thin face, slaps the Welshman on the shoulder, "Oh Clewy you and your ghosts"

Clewy turns towards him a look of mortification on his face, "If you don't believe me talk to Thomas Jones the shepherd. He knows more about that dammed hill than anyone else"

From the 'snug' bar the sound of a tinkling piano cuts the atmospher like a knife as several voices begin a beery rendition,
"Roll out the barrel, let's have a barrel of fun..."
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Priest wrote:"Well...Mr? I always like to know who's buying my beer"
"Captain Maurice Grey, of the 42nd Royal Engineers", Maurice replies, giving a tired saulte and an eager smile. He didn't really feel that much of a soldier now, if ever he did.

Priest wrote: "Your health" [/color]
"And yours, Sir. May it fare better than my own" he replied, miserably.

He listens to the stories intently, lost in them.

"De La Poer? Sounds an interesting chap, as does this ghastly place, The Priory. Very gothic!"

He turns to Captain Carpenter. Although they were equal rank, he could not help but to defer to the man. Captain Carpenter always struck him as a proper soldier, a proper hero, whilst he felt an imposter. Of the two of them, he knew which held seniority, and it wasn't him.

"Sir...Captain Carpenter...I confess my invalidity here has left me bored to tears. I would very much like to see this Priory. And I'll bring my paints. Sounds very picturesque! Would you do me the kindness of aiding in my whimsy?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd be delighted!" says Oliver, full of cheer. "Besides, I want to get to the bottom of this mystery involving my Uncle Stephen. And no need to address me as sir, seeing as we're the same rank. You can call me Oliver." He introduces himself to Clewy and his mates. "Captain Oliver Carpenter. I'd best not say which unit I'm with." He raises his own mug and takes a swig, then joins in the singing:
"Roll out the barrel,
We've got the blues on the run.
Zing boom tarrarel,
Sing out a song of good cheer;
Now's the time to roll the barrel,
Cause the gang's all here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

One of the group, who had remained silent through Clewy's story telling perhaps happier to sip his beer, looks up from the bar and in a voice slightly raised to overcome the boistrous burst of singing, says, "If you're after going up on Exham hill, you won't be finding much to paint, or see. Story is that the Priory which the Yank had rebuilt was torn down. There is nothing up there now but shadows and memories" He finishes his pint, puts the empty glass back on the bar and turns to pick up his jacket, "Well some of us have work to go to in the morning"

He nods goodnight to his companions, "Thanks for the pint sir". As he turns away he stops, "Best you talk to Jones. You'll find him most nights over at the 'Feathers' in Anchester, he'll be best able to tell you more. I don't know if you are God fearing gentlemen or not, but in God's name stay away from that hill"

Without further words he leaves the pub. At his going Clewy nods, "Aye speak to Jones" he looks from Maurice to Oliver, "And pray that you do not bear the taint of the de la Poer curse"

The door to the bar bursts open and some ten uniformed RAF types, no doubt from the nearby airfield, enter the bar, probably drawn by the singing. One of them a tall curly haired individual with a fine bristling moustache, lurches up to the bar, "Pints, ten for the lads and whatever these good men are drinking. We are celebrating 'Stinkers' promotion..."
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

"I pray God indeed" answers Maurice, contemplative, although the Truth was his religion was eroded to the point of collapse. If there was a God, he had decided, said God would have much to answer for.

Let down by the lack of suitably gothic scenery, he turns to Oliver, still unable to let go out of his deference. "Sounds like the Jones is the chap to see then, Sir...I mean..."

He is interrupted by the boisterous RAF. He groans inwardly, and, in honesty, a little outwardly too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers!" says Oliver. "I'm not one to turn down a free drink. Congratulations, Stinkers!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

With the arrival of the airmen, the evening swiftly moves to one of beer and song. It seems that 'Stinker', as he is affectionately referred to, is being promoted and transfered to the east coast. Eventually the evening draws to a close and you find yourselves unceremoniously ejected from the Red Lion. The group of airmen slowly arm in arm weave their way up the street, following them into the darkness a last drunken chorus of 'Pack up your troubles'
OOC:   The evening has come to a close, where you go and what you choose to do is up to you. It is now eleven o'clock.  
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

"Well, Sir, I mean...Oliver...I have had all I can consume for one night" says Maurice, in a bad mood for some reason. Stinker reminded him of some unpleasant archetypal school bully.

"Tomorrow, I would very much like to meet this Jones chap. Sounds like he has a tale..."

Of course, once he reached the small cottage he was staying in, trying to recuperate, he realised he had not consumed all he could for one night. Lying in bed, tossing and turning with violent coughing and vivid imagination, he took a more than liberal measurement of morphine "for the pain"...

And slumbered...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I'd like to meet him too," says Oliver. "He may know something of my uncle and what he has to do with Anchester. Well, good night, Maurice. I'll see you in the morning." He returns to his lodgings and is soon fast asleep.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The following day, sore heads aside, you brave the rain in the small bullnose Morris and head to the town of Anchester. The town itself has little to recommend it and is one of those places which if you weren’t looking for someone you would never have had a reason to visit

The buildings are typical Anglo-Welsh border building, all wood and stone. Many look as if a strong wind might send them into collapse, but judging by the many plaques advising that this building dates from 1460, that one earlier and so on, it would seem that their ability to withstand all that time can throw at them is remarkable.

Finding the ‘Feathers’, or ‘Plume of Feathers’ to give it its full name, is a simple affair as it holds a predominant position in the small high street.

Questions soon reveal that Mr Thomas Jones shepherd for the Carnaby estate that has land around the town is well known and is easily found most nights in the small, but cosy, public bar of the ‘Feathers’, as you had been told.

That evening, with autumn rain persistently running in never ending rivulets down the small paned windows. The regular barman, Stanley Meadows wounded severely at Dunkirk back in ’40, looks up from wiping glasses and nods at a figure dressed in a long waxed overcoat drying himself beside the open fire.

“That’s Thomas over by there” As you turn to the steaming figure indicated he leans across the bar and puts a hand on your wrist, “I wouldn’t pay too much attention to his story’s, he has a fine imagination”

From a seated figure a few feet down the bar comes a snort of laughter, “Spends too much time alone with the sheep. If you know what I mean”
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Priory”