Characters

1943, the Welsh/English border. Sometimes that which is hidden is best left undisturbed.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Characters

Post by Priest »

Please put completed characters here.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Characters

Post by Supercape »

First Draft, opinions welcome. I have chosen attributes to fit concept I hope thats OK (appalling CON, but good INT). I'm envisaging an eloquent, intelligent man who is struggling with bitter feelings regarding the war and his health health. His previous idealism is eroding.

Name: [Captain] Maurice Grey

STR 13
CON 4
SIZ 13
INT 15
[Idea 75%]
POW 12 [Luck 60%]
DEX 7
APP 15
EDU 18
[Know 90%]

Damage Bonus: +1D4
Sanity: 60
HP: 9
MP: 12

Skills:
Anthropology 10%, Art (Poetry) 25%, Art (Painting) 70%, Fast Talk 20%, First Aid 40%, History 60%, Language [English] 90%, Language [French] 55%, Language [Latin] 60%, Language [German] 20%, Library Use 40%, Occult 40%, Persuade 50%, Psychoanalysis 10%, Psychology 60%, Spot Hidden 60%

Weapon Skills
Rifle 35%, Handgun 35%

Appearance

Maurice Grey is a handsome man with a thick lock (perhaps unduly long) of blonde hair and clean shaven. He has clear blue eyes. He speaks in clear Queens English. He has a slightly portly look but is not overtly fat; rather a certain solidity of build. He likes to wear a tweed jacket when he does not have to wear a uniform.

He is also set to bouts of coughing, often blood. He always has at least one blood stained handkerchief with him, and there are often flecks of blood on his clothes.

Background

Maurice Grey was a sickly, premature only child who had an overbearing father and an overprotective mother (now split). He always had problems with asthma, and whilst he was a rugged chap otherwise, he was frequently invalided with chest infections.

He spent fond years at the University of London, studying art and the history of art, and is an accomplished painter. Alas, this did not pay the bills. He struggled down the road of a modestly successful artist and paying physicians for medical aid.

Come the war, he would normally have been invalided. But his father was an Army Captain, and pulled strings; Maurice felt it was his duty to fight the axis of evil. He is not a violent man by nature, but on the other hand he had a certain poetic view of heroic deeds.

However, Maurice has not enjoyed his time fighting. This was particularly punctuated by a fire he was caught in, he attempted to save a young soldier under his command, but was left with smoke inhalation damage (ruining his already ruined lungs). He is now on indefinite sick leave, although it is unlikely he will ever recover. Maurice is also struggling to recover psychologically; painting by day, before quaffing his prescribed opium (or rather, more than prescribed, which makes life difficult...) to quench his cough and pains at night, and allow at least some sleep.
Last edited by Supercape on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Capt Maurice Grey looks good. Since its WWII as opposed to WWI suffering from a gas attack is unlikely, however smoke was used in abundance and many participants suffered smoke damage as horrible as any 'gas' attack. The idea of him being home on indefinate sick leave is excellent.
Once Mr H has his character ready we will begin.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Cheers. Have made edits.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I won't have time to create a character tonight, but I'll get on it as soon as I can. I also have to create characters in two other new games. I'll be playing Captain Oliver Carpenter, a medical officer in the SAS. He wants to be a doctor, but he interrupted his studies when the war started to join the military.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Mr. Handy wrote:I won't have time to create a character tonight, but I'll get on it as soon as I can. I also have to create characters in two other new games. I'll be playing Captain Oliver Carpenter, a medical officer in the SAS. He wants to be a doctor, but he interrupted his studies when the war started to join the military.
Excellent :)
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Here are my character creation rolls. Am I allowed to swap stats around if they're rolled on the same number of dice?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Supercape wrote:From my perspective you can flat out choose your attributes, so yes! I'd rather you played what you want than be vexed by ill falling dice.

My only suggestion is to keep CON 10+; simply because trekking is gruelling and a lower than average CON is unlikely (however, if you have a good story or suggestion, anything goes).

Castairs looks good to me, in fact the whole team do at this juncture.

My only note is that we have two photographers on the expedition. That's fine by me, but if you want to juggle skills around a bit, feel free to.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a third NPC they have a relationship with (otherwise we will go with five) or any final comments about history or relationship between the PCs?

Ill start this off tomorrow.
Whoops! I think you meant to post this on your Dark Continent board.
Mr. Handy wrote:Here are my character creation rolls. Am I allowed to swap stats around if they're rolled on the same number of dice?
Absolutely put them where you think best. No pressure character creation wise, but you might find it beneficial to spend a few points (nothing major) on archeology to give you a bit of knowledge in that area.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

whoops sorry: please delete!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: Captain Oliver Carpenter

Post by Mr. Handy »

Name: Captain Oliver Carpenter
Sex: Male
Birthplace: London, England

Characteristics:
STR: 9
CON: 12
SIZ: 14
DEX: 10
APP: 6
INT: 17 (Idea - 85)
POW: 12 (Luck - 60)
EDU: 12 (Knowledge - 60)

Sanity: 60
Phobias/Mental Disorders: Mild phobia of fire
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 15
Magic Points: 12
Damage Bonus: +0

Appearance & Personality: Captain Oliver Carpenter is a cheerful man, always ready with a song on his lips (even if he often sings off-key). He is tall, and while he was handsome once, the wounds he suffered during the disastrous Operation Crusader have left him badly scarred. In spite of this, his confidence remains unshaken. He feels he has beaten death, counting the fact of his survival as victory enough. Oliver is daring and courageous, and he often seeks out thrills. For him, the war is the ultimate adventure. He is also a hopeless romantic, certain that when he meets the woman he is destined to marry it will be love at first sight for both of them.

Background: It has long been Oliver's dream to become a doctor, and he has spent most of his life preparing to become one. His natural intelligence has helped him excel in his studies, and in 1938 he began his freshman year in Oxford University. The Czechoslovakia crisis unfolded during his first weeks there, and it looked as though war could erupt then and there. He had been prepared to join up if it did, but the start of the war was delayed by eleven months, allowing him enough time to begin his studies and enjoy the last summer of peace in 1939.

When the war did start on September 3, 1939, he rushed to sign up for military service. Because of his high aptitude, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant. After his training, he was assigned to the Number 2 Commando as a medical officer, and he underwent further training at Achnacarry Castle in Scotland. Though he was far from completing his degree, his skills and knowledge were good enough that he could do the job. After numerous operations in Norway, France, and Belgium in the spring of 1940, his unit was evacuated from Dunkirk. They also saw action in North Africa, and in 1941 they were folded into the newly formed Special Air Service.

Oliver was disappointed that the SAS was used as a decoy designed to mostly exist on paper in order to fool the Axis, but he got to go on enough real missions to keep him excited. Their first one, Operation Crusader, saw them parachute into North Africa in November 1941, where they encountered heavy resistance. Oliver was badly wounded, but he managed to stay conscious and treat his own wounds, then helped to cover his unit's retreat. As a result, he was awarded a medal and promoted to captain. He recovered in time for the SAS's second operation, which was a complete success, resulting in the destruction of three airfields and dozens of aircraft in Libya. With American forces arriving in North Africa in late 1942, victory in that theater was assured. Oliver is currently back in England on leave, though he has it on good authority that he'll be heading to Italy before too long.

Family Members: Oliver was born in late 1919 to Stanley and Meredith Carpenter, conceived not long after his father returned from the last war. He has a younger sister Irene, who is 20 years old. She had started out working as an ambulance driver in London shortly after the war broke out, but starting in 1941 she began to be sent on special assignments she wasn't allowed to talk about to anyone. Their younger brother, Joshua, has recently turned 18 and is in basic training. Stanley is a carpenter from a long line of them (hence the name). He served in the Great War, and he joined up again when this war started. He is a combat engineer. Meredith joined the Women's Land Army.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
.Archaeology (01%): 11%
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%): 11%
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 40%