OOC Discussion

In 1880, Africa is yet to be fully explored. The source of the Nile, Lake Victoria, has been discovered, but much of central Africa is a blank map, ripe for exploration. The motives are many; scientific fame, economic exploitation, or even spreading the word of the Lord.

Sir Archibald Winston-Smythe is a venerable emeritus professor of anthropology and history at the British Museum. Part of the first wave of explorers he is now far too infirm to travel again. And yet he has heard tales and talk from others who have carved deep into the Jungle. Rumours of depraved tribes and horrible cults cannot escape his notice.

In good standing and influence, he has commissioned another expedition into the very heart of Africa, past Lake Victoria and to the root of these strange stories, ostensibly for the progress of science and understanding, but also to determine the truth or otherwise of the stories of such locales. This hidden agenda is only alluded to, for the full horrors that bubble underneath are not for the ears of the brave men (or women) who will go boldly where no civilised man (or woman) has gone before.

Moderator: Supercape

Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Supercape »

Hey, this chapter is called the madness for a reason! :)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Zombie head SAN roll [dice]0[/dice] 1 SAN loss.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

With a scream of horror Baxter . . .
SAN check for gin loss?
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

I am on this, but I am going to suggest a scene cut - Night-Eye leads you and the Frenchmen back to the Feast of the Toad People?

Depending on how close you want to get, you may wish to roll sneak proactively, but I am going to suggest we cut to you at a reasonably safe distance (but within visual range).
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Sounds good to me, cut away.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

That works for me too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

:)
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

And we are up!

A few rolls IC, and I am going to presume that you all are reasonably far away (at least 25 feet) so wont be spotted as long as you are in cover of Jungle.

Also, the ghastly acts of fornication and revelry are worth 0/1D4 Sanity (or 0/1D2 to Baxter due to his familiarity with, an ownership of, his "Special" selecton of photographs - although this is above and beyond what he owns!)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Anthropology 50% to recognise the fetishises [dice]0[/dice]
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Ok so setting a fire is the way to go!

Whilst you haven't got a gallon of petrol to hand, you will presumably have oils, gunpowder, and gin!

Time is not of the essence (at least, as far as you can tell), so if you could describe what you wish to do?

A few thoughts

1. If you have chemistry skill or so on I would imagine you can do something clever with explosives?
2. An Idea roll might be appropriate to use some spare ammo gunpowder?
3. Sneaky / Stealthy stuff might be appropriate to get in close?

Not that you need to do these rolls, it just depends on the detail of what you do to set fires! Are you going to burn the women and children too? ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

None of the PCs are very stealthy, so maybe we could create a diversion that would draw them away from the hut. I think the point is to set fire to the central hut, but only after we've looked inside to make sure they don't have any captives in there. I'm not planning to burn the women and children, and I'm hoping they'll simply flee from the fire.
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) about gunpowder: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Idea 70[dice]0[/dice]

I reckon that Singh, sword drawn, takes a peek inside; we, the PCs, cover him; and the French and Wessex position themselves at our flank.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

So broadly speaking the central hut is...in the centre!

Now admittedly most of the toad people are fornicating, highly intoxicated, unconscious or possibly even all three...but still, there would be danger in stepping through them!

Thoughts?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's where the diversion might be useful. The French soldiers could start shooting from the cover of the jungle at the more combat-capable Toad People to reduce their numbers and draw them away from the hut while we slip in from a different direction.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yeah!
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Ok so basic plan if I have it right is:

1. Frenchies take cover and snipe, With Wessex by them hiding.
2. The three PCs and Singh slip through the chaos into the central hut, with bombs/fire/gin at the ready to set it ablaze?

If so I will post! I think it would be worth having sneak rolls - not that a failure would mean the whole tribe set on you, but rather you might be spotted by one or two less intoxicated members?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah, I think that's the best plan we can manage. Hopefully they'll be too distracted by people shooting at them to notice us.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Ok cool, I am going to presume you guys have siphoned off some gunpowder from spare ammunition and made some 1880's dynamite thing from them. Which means that your ammo stores are a depleted but not gone! If you want to post that little act go ahead.

I'll also presume you are going to wait until nightfall or at least dusk, which is not far off.

As you probably want to be fast and light, I will default to you taking a few explosives + flint (As above), a rifle, a pistol, and a knife, and leaving your trekking gear / supplies behind. If you want to take something else please state so (e.g. gin, rope, etc - although heavy stuff might slow you down depending on your STR and what you take). Singh will take his sword instead of a rifle.

There is a lot of drugged up smoke in the area, so a CONx5% roll to avoid some intoxication (assuming you are taking minor precautions like a handkerchief to mouth or something). You may of course want to get intoxicated and please help yourself to the like if you wish! If you do get drugged up (or even if you don't but want to describe some mild effects), its a feeling of light headedness and minor hallucinations (and, if you fail your CON roll, a 1/1D6 Sanity loss).

Finally, could I have some sneak rolls and occult rolls in preparation for the plan! In order to be more generous, if you fail your sneak roll and get noticed you can have a luck roll - if made, your spotter is too drugged up / in a ritualistic trance / engaged in carnal acts to be bothered / worried.

Of course if you have any final ideas or thoughts (like disguises or so on) please sing out.

PS: Sorry for all the rolls and details, but its a complex scene and Id like to get the "dice" rolls out of the way! :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll bring some rope, as long as it's not too heavy. Disguises are a good idea. If we could paint and dress ourselves to look like the natives, they'd be less likely to notice us.

CON x 5 roll (70% stat):
[dice]0[/dice]

Sneak roll (10% base skill):
[dice]1[/dice]

Luck roll (75% stat):
[dice]3[/dice]

Occult roll (5% base skill):
[dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Baxter's rolls:
Con x5 roll:Con x5 (55%): 1d100 87 :(
San roll: San Roll 45%: 1d100 83 :shock:
San Loss: 1d6 Sanity loss: 1d6 2 :cry:
Sneak (10% base skill): Snek 10%: 1d100 73 :(
Luck 45%: Luck Roll 45%: 1d100 2 :D
Occult (5% base chance): Occult 5%: 1d100 37 :(
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Dark Continent”