Ch 1: Cairo

In 1880, Africa is yet to be fully explored. The source of the Nile, Lake Victoria, has been discovered, but much of central Africa is a blank map, ripe for exploration. The motives are many; scientific fame, economic exploitation, or even spreading the word of the Lord.

Sir Archibald Winston-Smythe is a venerable emeritus professor of anthropology and history at the British Museum. Part of the first wave of explorers he is now far too infirm to travel again. And yet he has heard tales and talk from others who have carved deep into the Jungle. Rumours of depraved tribes and horrible cults cannot escape his notice.

In good standing and influence, he has commissioned another expedition into the very heart of Africa, past Lake Victoria and to the root of these strange stories, ostensibly for the progress of science and understanding, but also to determine the truth or otherwise of the stories of such locales. This hidden agenda is only alluded to, for the full horrors that bubble underneath are not for the ears of the brave men (or women) who will go boldly where no civilised man (or woman) has gone before.

Moderator: Supercape

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Ch 1: Cairo

Post by Tabs »

Burton noted Baxter's private swig of alcohol.

"When the plate is developed, Mr. Carstairs," he said, "we will examine the photograph most carefully, and search for those cracks."

"Continue with the chant, sir,--one must not be afraid of spooks--we shall meet with Kotep!" he cajoled. Burton found the shiver he desired beginning to tremble in the pit of his stomach; he thought of asking Baxter for a pull at his flask, but decided better of it, the flask was sure to contain an infernal brew.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Again Baxter laughs nervously, his hand straying to the pocket of his jacket that contained his flask. He thought better of it.

"Um I have seen some strange things in this continent, particularly amongst the inhabitants further in. Although not a Church goer or a believer I think that there are things that are sometimes better left alone" He glances at Sidhom and notices the discomfort that he is exhibiting, "I do think there is a time and place for further investigation of Mr Sidhom's ancestor's book, but" he looks around at the shadows and feels a strange cold breeze, "let it be in more comfortable surroundings than here"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Supercape »

Mr Sidhom's hand's held the book away from him, as though it was on fire. He gazed from Carstairs to Burton to Baxton, unsure of what to do.

"It is true that much is left better unseen or undiscovered, gentlemen. And yet what is man but a moth to a flame? Why do we dig into the earth, brush away the sands, and, in your case, laudably, carve through the jungles of Africa?" he asked.

"I do have the chant here, and am loathe to sing it; although perhaps I would also end the uncertainty. I do not believe in spells and magic, old superstitions - and there would be undoubted relief in the words having no effect. I am torn, gentlemen, between fears"

"Mr Burton, you are the confidante of Mr Winston-Smythe, I suggest the decision is yours! shall I read?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Ha ha!" he barked into the silence which followed. "Mr. Carstairs shall have the deciding vote."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I must concur with Mr. Baxter," says Percy after careful thought. "Disturbing the dead is not a good idea. I know I would not want some strangers calling up my spirit after I die, and if anyone did I'd be in a rather foul mood. You would not want to encounter me in such a state, and I'm not even a powerful sorcerer as Kotep was reputed to be. I think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Mr Sidhom puts away his book, and even in the dim light, his face was a picture of relief.

"Gentlemen, I am relieved to say the least. I am sure Kotep is dead and buried in this monument, perhaps in a hidden and as yet undiscovered chamber. And I think it wise to let him rest in peace. Whilst I do not entertain the thought of him rising from the dead, I would find even his preserved corpse and unsettling notion - forgive my lack of scientific heroism" he explains.

The dim light made inspecting the chambers of the great pyramid difficult. But even so, much could be gleaned and admired. Cracks there were, but presumably of the more mundane variety. Much writing covered the walls, in Egyptian hieroglyphics, which Mr Sidhom had some robust expertise in.

"And yet, perhaps, in light of my ancestors writings, we might re-examine some of these writings?" he explained. It took some time, but the lamps were not yet flickering.

"<The Sorcerer...worshipped the God of many...black...faces...the black pharaoh>" he began, tracing his line over an carved statue of some ambiguous man.

He mumbled something to himself in Arabic
Spoiler:
"<Did he worship the dread Nyarlathotep!?>"
"<...sealed inside....cursed...dead forever...sealed with dust...from the holy dead...kept entombed...and so on, and so on!>"

He paused. "Forgive my inadequacies in a dead and unspoken tongue, gentlemen, but it seems these writings to refer to Kotep being sealed in this tomb. And of some protection, or ward, against him, a dust or powder, toxic to spirits and undead. Presumably it is hidden by more conventional means in this chamber!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Baxter nods to Carstairs, relief evident in the excess sweat that trickles from his brow, "Absolutely, hardly the time or the place" at the word 'place' he looks around him, "For any form of spooky entertainment"

He watches enthralled as Sidhom caresses one of the carved statues, the usual Egyptian depiction of one of their many gods, though either through the erosion of time or by design this character's face was blank devoid of marking. The almost loving way that Sidhom ran his hands over the statue made him shiver, he pulled the flask free of his pocket and took a liberal swallow of the raw spirit.

As Sidhom paused in his caress to half whisper something about bringing back the dead. He gave thought to why he had agreed to accompany this expedition in the first place. With trembling fingers he replaced the cork in his flask...
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Burton masked his disappointment by busying himself with examining the Queen's Chamber.

"Your translation of hieroglyphs is excellent, sir, no need to ask for forgiveness."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Burton traced his finger along the stepped arch, stretching as far up as he was able. With his arm high above his head Burton felt a gap--a crack? He held the bullseye lantern aloft to see better, there was certainly a gap, so ran his finger tip along it, feeling a line of sand; he was rewarded by a sprinkle of silvery dust which floated down upon his upturned face. "Gentlemen," he coughed, his head twinkling from the quartz and the lantern beam reflecting off of it, "maybe this sand blew in here before this chamber was capped--five thousand years ago, think of it!" he added with wonder.

He crouched and scooped at the silvery dust, dropping a few thimblefuls into his pocket.
Last edited by Tabs on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Watching Burton makes Baxter think of a small boy on an adventure weekend. He shakes his head, and suddenly has the feeling that it might be time to leave.

Ignoring the icy shivers that run up and down his spine, he moves towards the exit, "Right, shall we be off then?"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I think we've seen everything there is to see here," says Percy.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Chalk in hand, Burton surreptitiously marked an "X" near to the spot where he discovered the silvery dust.

He rejoined the group. "Ready when you are," he said.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

To the relief of Mr Sidhom, the four men retreated out of the unnaturally cold Pyramid into the low sun of a Cairo evening. It would still be a couple of hours to night.

The Shepheard hotel awaited the three adventurers, with Mr Sidhom deciding to accompany them for the evening. He would not drink, despite the temptation to do so, but he put on his fez and bow tie for another meal and cigar at the bar and restaurant.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Percy's Bantu lessons go quite well, but he doesn't have time to learn much more. He is unable to learn how to make the mysterious dust detailed in the fragments, but he is able to translate them into English with some help from Sidhom. Part of him wishes he hadn't. He finds Pert Em Hru completely unintelligible.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Dark Continent”